PDA

View Full Version : IF... Lock out will you watch?

Andrew6
03-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Never done a poll so will just ask the Question. If there is a lock out and an agreement can't be made by owners and players and they bring in "replacements" will you watch NFL still?

This is my personal and humble opinion on the matter; I am a union steward and highly pro union. I will side with the players and ban all things NFL if they try to bring scabs in to play in the unions place. I am sure some folks just want to watch football but like I said IF an agreement can't be made and RATS are brought in to play, You will not see me at the stadium nor will I support ANYTHING NFL.

Just my opinion I'm sure others have way different opinions.

GNTLEWOLF
03-08-2011, 03:03 AM
I don't care...Union or owners....Neither group really cares about me, the fan. Screw them all. if I can see Football, I'll watch football and let the "labor" problems be worked out by the people who bring this crap on. That is both owners and players.

El Tejano
03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't know. All I know is that last time this happened and The Oilers had scab players, teams like the Oilers that were struggling began to be good teams. The Oilers made the playoffs 7 times in a row after the strike. I'd take anything right now.

dc_txtech
03-08-2011, 10:03 AM
It would sure make fantasy football ineteresting next season...

drewmar74
03-08-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm not voting because there isn't a "No - I tend not to watch sloppy football" option.

MFG16
03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I might be wrong, but I thought "replacement" players can not be used because it is a lockout instead of a strike. so, theres no football period.

cuppacoffee
03-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I did last time so I imagine I will again.

Being an Irish and Texan fan I am used to watching sub-par football.

Now would I pay to watch it is altogether another question.

:coffee:

Surreal McCoy
03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm not voting because there isn't a "No - I tend not to watch sloppy football" option.

No offence, but it does beg the question how many Texans games you've watched?

Dread-Head
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Shi-hi-hi-hiiiit! If there's a lock out I aint watching. VUGGIT! ME AND BILL WILL BE PLAYIN' Muff-huggas! Bill put down that stripper...I mean "college student" and get ready to suit up man! It's on!

Section516
03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I might be wrong, but I thought "replacement" players can not be used because it is a lockout instead of a strike. so, theres no football period.

From what I understand, correct. There will still be the AFL though!

chicagotexan2
03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
NFL football is the only sport I want to watch. I'll catch another sport on tv, but rarely.

eriadoc
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I voted Yes, but who knows? If the owners brought in scabs, they'd lose revenue, so I'm OK with that. If scabs play, they will be playing without the huge ego that the current players have, so I'm OK with that.

The owners can't bring in scabs, can they? They could if the players were striking, but since the owners are locking the players out, they can't bring in replacements, right?

drewmar74
03-08-2011, 11:57 AM
No offence, but it does beg the question how many Texans games you've watched?

No offense taken - Texans football is the only exception to that rule.

Malloy
03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
foosball ez foosball... I r teh hookeet!

Texecutioner
03-08-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd totally watch. Like Eriodic said, a lot of these new players wouldn't have the egos and would be happy to be there and playing all out. A part of me would be more happier watching athletes like that competing who make less money and go all out.

Corrosion
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Ive worked a union job in the past ... wasnt impressed with the production and general laziness of the union worker not to mention the wastefulness in both time and materials. I did appreciate the good wages and benifits .... not to mention all the money I won off of my co-workers playin 42.

I can hear the Union players now .... its time for a coffee break , someone get the domino's

This is entertainment - I just want to watch some damn football .... dont give a damn who's playin from Pop Warner league to the NFL.

BullNation4Life
03-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I would watch. It would be like watching that movie The Replacements live on TV.

http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/j/q/jqjl28g78xcaqjlx.jpg

then I would get to see crazy MoFo's like this one play some foozball....

The Pencil Neck
03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Like several people have said, in a lockout situation, I don't think that there will be scabs. But if there were replacement players brought in, I would totally watch.

I'm not pro-union to begin with. I've been in a couple of unions and lived near New Jersey for a while.

And it's football. And some of these guys could turn into real players from this chance.

HOU-TEX
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
If I watch, I watch. If not, I be fishin

disaacks3
03-08-2011, 05:37 PM
No offence, but it does beg the question how many Texans games you've watched? Beat me to it.

From what I understand, correct. There will still be the AFL though! Unless the Union decertifies, then I think they could.

I would watch. It would be like watching that movie The Replacements live on TV.

http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/j/q/jqjl28g78xcaqjlx.jpg

then I would get to see crazy MoFo's like this one play some foozball.... He's too busy directing Cowboys & Aliens & the next Iron Man movie.

Dallas_Texan
03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't think scrubs can play anyway. However, screw Unions, I will happily watch if they do.

Unions has a purpose in a time with dangerous manual labor. Their time is done and they help noone.

Pantherstang84
03-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I probably wouldn't watch. It doesn't have anything to with pro and against unions. It's just that I'm not interested in watching a bunch of scrubs. Thanks to the Fox Soccer Channel I have found a new sport to watch since I'm not into pro basketball.

Hagar
03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Do we get a break on the ticket price? Inferior players should lead to a lesser ticket price.

EllisUnit
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
i think itd be fun as hell to watch personally !!!!

2slik4u
03-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes.

On one hand I would be in less of a hurry of trying to make it home from the deer lease on Sundays to make kickoff....

On the other hand I would tend to think we would have a much greater chance of making the playoffs without playing against Forehead McGee twice a year.

EllisUnit
03-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes.

On one hand I would be in less of a hurry of trying to make it home from the deer lease on Sundays to make kickoff....

On the other hand I would tend to think we would have a much greater chance of making the playoffs without playing against Forehead McGee twice a year.

hell yeah, we would be superbowl champs. Atleast our secondary would be better :pop:

Doppelganger
03-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Absolutely! I like Pro Football and will cheer on the Texans. I am in it for the long haul. I cheer for the TEAM, not individual players. If a guy plays for Htown, I will cheer for him. If he no longer plays for Houston, I won't care about him. Simple as that.

TEAM before players.

Andrew6
03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
just an FYI. We have unions for purposes still. Do you think that companies will freely give out medical, dental, safety etc... ? If you were a business and could cut those things out would you? While some folks think they don't have a purpose I have to say they do. A work base no matter what base united will be able to negotiate safer worker conditions wages etc.... I know that during our last negotiation talks SAFETY was a primary focus. So if your thoughts are negative on unions then you should probably talk to all the folks in China, India and all over that don't have unions or safety and see how great the survival rate is.
Just my opinion on that subject so take it how you want. I am sure some of you are thinking I'm some bleeding heart liberal but beleive it or not I am Republican and vote mostly as such. (gotta see who the best candidate is no matter party).

BullNation4Life
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey, maybe some of us board hounds could try out if the scabs play because of a lockout.

Sumptin to think about.....

Dread-Head
03-09-2011, 11:28 AM
hey, maybe some of us board hounds could try out if the scabs play because of a lockout.

Sumptin to think about.....

thank you!

HTown2ATX
03-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I'd watch....could be the Texans chance to finally break through....:toropalm:

Showtime100
03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
If Bob McNair is reading this I change my vote from "don't know" to "Hell no." :cowboy1:

Oh wait, I'm in Austin. I wasted a bullet there. :rake:

gwallaia
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
They better not charge the same for ticket prices.

Dread-Head
03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
They better not charge the same for ticket prices.

So you WOULDN'T pay to see me and Bullnationforlife playin'? :clown:

axman40
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
NOPE !
More Roller derby for me.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4942699436_e0276087bd_z.jpg

Seņor Stan
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
You all better watch! Malcolm Sheppard is primed and ready to tear the NFL replacement league up!!!

Sincerely,

newtexanfan

Showtime100
03-09-2011, 12:24 PM
NOPE !
More Roller derby for me.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4942699436_e0276087bd_z.jpg

Go Bombers!! :woot2

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Pet%20Funny%20Misc/Kansas-City-Bomber.jpg

Corrosion
03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
just an FYI. We have unions for purposes still. Do you think that companies will freely give out medical, dental, safety etc... ? If you were a business and could cut those things out would you? While some folks think they don't have a purpose I have to say they do. A work base no matter what base united will be able to negotiate safer worker conditions wages etc.... I know that during our last negotiation talks SAFETY was a primary focus. So if your thoughts are negative on unions then you should probably talk to all the folks in China, India and all over that don't have unions or safety and see how great the survival rate is.
Just my opinion on that subject so take it how you want. I am sure some of you are thinking I'm some bleeding heart liberal but beleive it or not I am Republican and vote mostly as such. (gotta see who the best candidate is no matter party).

Like I said earlier in the thread - Ive been employed as both union and non-union .... I agree with certain details from both sides. What this boils down to is entertainment , I dont want my entertainment muddied by politics which is what is going on here between the NFL and the players union. We have millionaires fighting with billionaires to see who pockets more of our dollars .... and at $8.00 its much like the last union job I had ..... took a whole crew two days to hang one joint of pipe when I could have done it alone in half an hour.

I just want to watch some football and be entertained. If that is by the multi million dollar athletes that make up the NFLPA so be it , if it is a bunch of rats trying to make a buck and get their foot in the door playing for pennies on the dollar ..... I'll still watch for the entertainment.

Hell , maybe the Texans can even make the playoffs with a bunch of scabs.

Norg
03-10-2011, 01:14 AM
yes i would watch some scrubs play it would be like that philly eagles movie or the replacment LOL

i would deff watch more college football tho

DexmanC
03-10-2011, 01:42 AM
I voted "no" I will not watch. My life hasn't been more productive
since shutting off the TV over 2 months ago. The NFL is the
last "must see" thing for me in TV-Land. If they lock out, they will
cure me of all emotional connection to the television.

I can't say that's a bad thing.

Grams
03-10-2011, 07:22 AM

I have worked for close to 50 years and have never belonged to a union. I have always had medical. The company I work for now for +20 years has increased the benefits to their employees, adding dental and company contributing 401k and other benefits. All without a union or a threat of a union.

TheMatrix31
03-10-2011, 07:53 AM
What if there are replacements? Would there be a Super Bowl?

What if we won that Super Bowl? Would anyone give a shit?

FirstTexansFan
03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd watch replacement roosters in a cockfight, I have no shame when it comes to my sports gambling addiction :shades:

Showtime100
03-10-2011, 11:40 AM
What if there are replacements? Would there be a Super Bowl?

What if we won that Super Bowl? Would anyone give a shit?

Fake rubber shit maybe, but that's about it. The fake stuff is good for a laugh, looks like the real thing, but in the end it gets no respect like real shit would.

EllisUnit
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I voted "no" I will not watch. My life hasn't been more productive
since shutting off the TV over 2 months ago. The NFL is the
last "must see" thing for me in TV-Land. If they lock out, they will
cure me of all emotional connection to the television.

I can't say that's a bad thing.

obviously not football computer connection though :good:

XI CMURDER IX
03-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I would definitely keep up with college football more.

I would watch football on Sundays still though IF replacements played. Since it is a lockout, and not a strike, there will be no replacements though. So there goes that theory.

Kulluminatii
03-12-2011, 03:30 AM
I'll probably watch a mix of UFL & Arena football along with some CFB. Not sure I'd sit well with the idea of watching replacements play in the NFL...knowing full well the majority of them will be cut & forgotten once the lockout is over.

TEXANJAK
03-12-2011, 10:30 AM
CFB & Arena football. Hey Roger what's up with keeping the player's out of the facility. All the preaching about player safety, let them train.

Texan4Ever
03-12-2011, 10:45 AM
I will watch because I need my football fix on Sundays BUT, this does not mean that I will go to the games, buy jerseys, etc.

Buffi2
03-12-2011, 09:42 PM
I'd watch but I won't pay.

EllisUnit
03-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I will watch because I need my football fix on Sundays BUT, this does not mean that I will go to the games, buy jerseys, etc.

hell i'd pay to watch these goof balls play, the defense will probably be an upgrade from what we're used to ;)

wildroot
03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
I have a hard time equating the NFLPA to a "working man's" union. Would I cross a Teacher's union, Pipefitters or Machinest picket line, probably not. NFLPA picket line, in a heart-beat. These guys aren't fighting to put food on the table....

I enjoyed watching the Oilers during the last work stoppage...Eugene Seale anyone?

TexCanada
03-13-2011, 09:53 PM
I probably wouldn't watch. I might check in on it every once in a while, but it would be unlikely that I would watch any of the games.

I will just stick to the CFL, which I always follow closely and have season tickets to anyway. The level of play is a bunch lower in the CFL, but it is just as exciting to watch, and it is not about the $$ whatsoever. Most players have to have another job in the off-season to make ends meet, save a few of the top-end players. Plus, my seasons tickets cost a whopping total of $205, which means even I can afford to get them as a broke university student!