PDA

View Full Version : Broncos release two defensive linemen from their old 3-4 system

La Voz
03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
The Broncos, converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3, have released Justin Banaan and Jamal Williams.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17531737

I could definitely see us signing one or both on the cheap. What other team is converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 this year? I recall there being another one.

Honoring Earl 34
03-03-2011, 05:38 PM
The Broncos, converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3, have released Justin Banaan and Jamal Williams.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17531737

I could definitely see us signing one or both on the cheap. What other team is converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 this year? I recall there being another one.

I'd take Jamal Williams in a heartbeat and draft a big fellow to groom .

Doppelganger
03-03-2011, 06:14 PM

Does he fit the kind of 3-4 we want?

steelbtexan
03-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Williams played for Phillips when both were at San Diego. He would probanly be good for 30 plays a game. But a tag team at NT of Williams,Cody and a draft pick would cover the NT position. Bannan is also a steady 3-4 DE.

ChampionTexan
03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Does he fit the kind of 3-4 we want?

He was All-Pro in 2005 & 2006 when Wade was the DC for the Chargers.

Rey
03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd take either one of those guys...

Texan4Ever
03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I think Williams is past his prime but I wouldn't mind bringing in Justin Bannan. He has played for Baltimore and there 3-4 so he knows the scheme and what it takes to be a dominating defense. If the price is right and barring any issues health related, I would try and sign him.

JB
03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I think Williams is past his prime but I wouldn't mind bringing in Justin Bannan. He has played for Baltimore and there 3-4 so he knows the scheme and what it takes to be a dominating defense. If the price is right and barring any issues health related, I would try and sign him.

Sometimes you have to bring in a one year guy. And Baltimore doesn't play a 3-4 that is anywhere similar to what Wade runs

srrono
03-04-2011, 01:37 AM
All three of Denver's starters would make solid rotational reserves. Bannan's the best of the bunch, consistently playing with a high motor, but Williams is nearing the end and while he stayed healthy can't play significant snaps and doesn't draw the double-team attention of his All-Pro days. Vickerson was picked up off the street after training camp and quickly surpassed McBean, pointing at the weakness of this group overall. Thomas could be a free agent and may go. Ronald Fields can spell a top-notch nose tackle but isn't starter material. Leonard was a late addition to the roster in December, his third team in 2010.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/DEN/14627171/broncos-report-strategy-and-personnel

IDEXAN
03-04-2011, 07:04 AM
He was All-Pro in 2005 & 2006 when Wade was the DC for the Chargers.

Unlike the relatively svelte Ratliff at NT in Dallas, Williams was Wade's big, fat pro-bowl NT in San Diego. Nice to know Wade's flexible.

El Tejano
03-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Unlike the relatively svelte Ratliff at NT in Dallas, Williams was Wade's big, fat pro-bowl NT in San Diego. Nice to know Wade's flexible.

And I think that is where we could see us picking up a guy like Williams. Because with Wade he knows who to play and when. If one guy is a run stuffing NT he's gonna play on early downs while a pass rushing NT will get more reps on the later downs. Getting the best out of each player throughout the whole game.