PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Ward re-signs for 1 year

ThaShark316
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Via John McClain's twitter.

Allstar
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Totally fine with this. He played well last year and knows his role. He seems to look out for the younger guys and help them out too.

Coach Kevin
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
By Slaton

El Tejano
Take RB off the draft list and say bye to Slaton.

And even Slayton for that matter.

Ryan
This hopefully means Slaton is as good as gone, but hopefully Ward won't have to see the field often with a good foster/tate combo.

disaacks3
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
By Slaton

We can only hope. HAving Ward back makes me feels better about our depth no matter how Tate comes back.

False Start
03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Good news. Foster, Ward, and Tate, thats a hell of a trio!

The Titans will snatch Slaton up in a second, because of the Houston connection, lol.

Allstar
03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Having Slaton as a 4th back isn't a bad thing. That's assuming he contributes on ST and he doesn't cost someone significant a roster spot.

steelbtexan
03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Tate will be the new KR.

A major upgrade over Slaton.

kiwitexansfan
03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
By Slaton

Wait what? Ward was signed by Slaton for a year?

kiwitexansfan
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Good news. Foster, Ward, and Tate, thats a hell of a trio!

Indeed it is.....

What IF Slaton needed a year to recover from the neck injury and he is back to his best.... that would be unbelievable.

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2011, 01:09 PM
This makes me happy.

Between this and OD, I'm very happy.

Yankee_In_TX
03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
WHAH?!?!?! What happened to the experts 'he is gone 100%.'

Glad he is back. With a healthy Tate we have a little depth now.

False Start
03-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Indeed it is.....

What IF Slaton needed a year to recover from the neck injury and he is back to his best.... that would be unbelievable.

They would be better than all the RBs the Texans have had in their history combined.

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Personally, I thought for sure he'd head to find greener pastures somewhere that he had a chance to be the starter. I'm glad to have him back.

hookinreds
03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Very glad to have him back. He did exactly what we needed him to do.

disaacks3
03-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Indeed it is.....

What IF Slaton needed a year to recover from the neck injury and he is back to his best.... that would be unbelievable. I agree, I don't believe it for a minute.

El Tejano
03-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Oh, that's just what's going to happen when he signs with Indy or Tenn. That's the Houston Sports way.

El Tejano
03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
This makes me happy.

Between this and OD, I'm very happy.

Your very happy being between OD? :thinking: Dude this is a family board.

MightyTExan
03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
OD and Ward re-signed?
Pessimism lowering, optimism rising, BR kool-aid not so sour.

Mr teX
03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
in the words of Dandy Don: "Turn out the liiiiights, the party's ooover.." for this guy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2006/teams/photos/wvu.jpg

Section516
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Any word on $$$$ for Ward? Slatons going to be our #2 receiver!

srrono
03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Having Slaton as a 4th back isn't a bad thing. That's assuming he contributes on ST and he doesn't cost someone significant a roster spot.

slayton was bad as a returner need to cut him brings nothing to team

BigBull17
03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Personally, I thought for sure he'd head to find greener pastures somewhere that he had a chance to be the starter. I'm glad to have him back.

He understood that he fit into an offense here that he was very successful in. He tried the greener pastures before and it didn't work.

2slik4u
03-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Very happy with this. The dude looked great last year. Happy to have him back.

michaelm
03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I know some of you appreciate what Ward brings to the team, but even considering that, I think his contribution is under valued overall. I think he is easily a 1200 yard rusher in this offense if he gets pushed into the starting role due to an injury or other misfortunate circumstance.
Tate will have to really show something to overtake ward for RB2. I hope he does, though. If Tate is able to beat out Ward for #2, then we will have a very good set of running backs. Very good.

utahmark
03-03-2011, 02:23 PM

If it's all the same to you.... I would rather he not contribute on special teams.

Brandon420tx
03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
If its all the same to you, I'd rather Slaton be trade bait in the draft

Allstar
03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
If it's all the same to you.... I would rather he not contribute on special teams.

I should have mentioned I didn't mean he should return kicks/punts... :texflag:

El Tejano
03-03-2011, 02:30 PM
If Slaton gets cut or released it will be the end of Slayton too!

ChampionTexan
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
If its all the same to you, I'd rather Slaton be trade bait in the draft

If there's a lockout in place when the draft takes place, you won't be able to trade players - just picks.

Double Barrel
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Great news and I'm glad to hear it! :thumbup

2slik4u
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Not sure what the issue is with Slaton. His stock is now at basement level. He is no longer an effective RB (especially with the stable of horses we have right now). His KR skills are nothing more than mediocre, if not less than that. The dude needs to hit the road.

As far as Derrick Ward and Ben Tate goes on the depth chart. Im not 100% Ward isnt the #2 RB out of the gate come next season.

Corrosion
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
This hopefully means Slaton is as good as gone, but hopefully Ward won't have to see the field often with a good foster/tate combo.

Im not too concerned with Ward seeing time on the field , he made the most of his opportunities last year. If he can duplicate last seasons success , anything Tate can add is a bonus.

Slaton didnt have a bad average last season but his return skills were abyssmal He really needs to go.

Texecutioner
03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Good resigning. Ward looked very good last season.

badboy
03-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Good move. I would have liked him on the field a bit more last season. Now let's hope Tate is real deal and Slaton returns to rookie stats.

thunderkyss
03-03-2011, 04:28 PM

With a healthy Tate & hopefully a fully rehabed Slaton, we'll have some real competition in camp.

If there is a camp.

thunderkyss
03-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Simply didn't make sense. He played well enough, that it would make sense for another team to offer him a chance to start... or at least be in a rotation.

Here, if Tate is 100%, there's no guarantee he'll be activated.

I'm glad he's here, pro move by the Texans imo, maybe they've grown up.

thunderkyss
03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Good move. I would have liked him on the field a bit more last season. Now let's hope Tate is real deal and Slaton returns to rookie stats.

This is the right attitude.

I don't know what some people are thinking. Get rid of Slaton.... time for him to go???

He looked good last year in limited duty. Hopefully they were taking it light on him, because of his neck.

But Slaton ain't cost'n us nothing. & he plays one of the roughest positions in the league.

Foster is going to get a FAT contract....... what if he loses his focus? What if he gets hurt?

Slaton is a good security blanket behind Tate & Ward....... depth is a good thing.

Double Barrel
03-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I've got nothing against Slaton. He just needs to be removed from kick returns. They were cringe inducing, at best.

Dutchrudder
03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
OD and Ward re-signed?
Pessimism lowering, optimism rising, BR kool-aid not so sour.

^ this, lol

CloakNNNdagger
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
The Texans now, after a decade of existence, need to get a legitimate #2 receiver/compliment to AJ.:texflag:

Wolf6151
03-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Derrick Ward is a good signing, he gives us security at the position and it gives him another year to mentor Foster and Tate.

DX-TEX
03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
The Texans now, after a decade of existence, need to get a legitimate #2 receiver/compliment to AJ.:texflag:

Starting to think that Kipers prediction of the Texans taking Julio Jones isnt so far fetched.

Corrosion
03-03-2011, 06:50 PM
I've got nothing against Slaton. He just needs to be removed from kick returns. They were cringe inducing, at best.

I dont think Ive ever seen a kick returner make that many boneheaded plays over the course of a career much less a single season .... man he was BAD.

He was able to produce in the running game when given a chance but there was no way he was going to take carries away from either of the guy's in front of him with the way they were playing.

PapaL
03-03-2011, 07:12 PM
FTW is in full effect next year! Foster Tate Ward = For The Win!

gary
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Good deal this makes me happy and keep Slaton and let him compete for a job.

drs23
03-03-2011, 07:46 PM
I dont think Ive ever seen a kick returner make that many boneheaded plays over the course of a career much less a single season .... man he was BAD.

He was able to produce in the running game when given a chance but there was no way he was going to take carries away from either of the guy's in front of him with the way they were playing.

True that. I recall many here calling for him to line up in the slot. Not dissin' DA but when Slaton is able to get into space he makes people miss. He looked good coming out of the backfield, though a little tentative. He had a good YPC average. Just don't let him return. I think we'll see a different cat next season.:texflag:

EllisUnit
03-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Derrick Ward is a good signing, he gives us security at the position and it gives him another year to mentor Foster and Tate.

Ward wasnt on the team when Foster ran all over the colts in week 1. I dont think Foster needs anyone to mentor him :slapfight:

Trap_Star
03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
i hope he shows up in shape.

Corrosion
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
True that. I recall many here calling for him to line up in the slot. Not dissin' DA but when Slaton is able to get into space he makes people miss. He looked good coming out of the backfield, though a little tentative. He had a good YPC average. Just don't let him return. I think we'll see a different cat next season.:texflag:

Yeah , that different cat will be Ben Tate :htown2atx:

drs23
03-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah , that different cat will be Ben Tate :htown2atx:

Touché Can't wait. :tiphat:

Dutchrudder
03-03-2011, 09:54 PM
FTW is in full effect next year! Foster Tate Ward = For The Win!

How about... Ward Tate Foster Slaton?

WTFs?

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2011, 10:47 PM

WTFs?

"You must spread rep..."

Ryan
03-03-2011, 11:40 PM

WTFs?

wouldn't FTWs be even better?

wow, someone beat me by several posts :kubepalm:

Malloy
03-04-2011, 01:46 AM
As far as Derrick Ward and Ben Tate goes on the depth chart. Im not 100% Ward isnt the #2 RB out of the gate come next season.

That's for training camp to figure out I guess?

GP
03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Starting to think that Kipers prediction of the Texans taking Julio Jones isnt so far fetched.

What a WTH? moment THAT would be, wouldn't it? LOL.

Instead of grabbing one of the 12 top tier defensive linemen (Mayock saying he sees TWELVE definite "1st round defensive linemen talent" this year) we go and grab Julio Jones if he's still available at our spot.

THAT would be a surprising move, IMO. I'm not against it, either. At some point, there has to be a legitimate WR alongside Andre Johnson. I think we're to that point now.

thunderkyss
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
What a WTH? moment THAT would be, wouldn't it? LOL.

Instead of grabbing one of the 12 top tier defensive linemen (Mayock saying he sees TWELVE definite "1st round defensive linemen talent" this year) we go and grab Julio Jones if he's still available at our spot.

THAT would be a surprising move, IMO. I'm not against it, either. At some point, there has to be a legitimate WR alongside Andre Johnson. I think we're to that point now.

I agree. It would be nice, to have a dominating defense, but we're too far away from that.

If we're going to do anything in 2011, it's going to be because we have a dominating offense.

We were #5 in 2010, and have been top 10 for the last 4 years or so..... but we don't dominate offensively. We've been feeding the defense all kinds of talent & coming up with zilch.

Not that I want to not give Wade any talent, but I'd like to put a Julio Jones on the offense (I know we've got a 2nd rnd running back and all) & force teams to score with us.

Give Wade the rest of the draft & FA.....

Brandon420tx
03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I agree. It would be nice, to have a dominating defense, but we're too far away from that.

If we're going to do anything in 2011, it's going to be because we have a dominating offense.

We were #5 in 2010, and have been top 10 for the last 4 years or so..... but we don't dominate offensively. We've been feeding the defense all kinds of talent & coming up with zilch.

Not that I want to not give Wade any talent, but I'd like to put a Julio Jones on the offense (I know we've got a 2nd rnd running back and all) & force teams to score with us.

Give Wade the rest of the draft & FA.....

While I wouldn't mind Julio Jones, I'd still like to trade back and get an interior lineman. That's what good teams do, pick up OL in early rounds. Hell even bad team have gone heavily on OL early in drafts and turned it around fairly quickly (Jets with D'brick and Nick Mangold). Honestly I think Mario would fit so much better as an OLB and there are tons of talented 3-4 DE prospects in this draft.

But this is a thread about the awesomeness that is Derrick Ward

El Tejano
03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Count me in on the "it ok to get a better JJ" bandwagon.

badboy
03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
This is the right attitude.

I don't know what some people are thinking. Get rid of Slaton.... time for him to go???

He looked good last year in limited duty. Hopefully they were taking it light on him, because of his neck.

But Slaton ain't cost'n us nothing. & he plays one of the roughest positions in the league.

Foster is going to get a FAT contract....... what if he loses his focus? What if he gets hurt?

Slaton is a good security blanket behind Tate & Ward....... depth is a good thing.Exactly! I still think Slaton has not been used 100% to his skill set. ALso, I have Julio Jones currently on my mock at #11. Watts should be there but we need a solid #2 for AJ and Jones looked good on field and blew me away at combine. I can see Cam Newton going top 10 as he is being over hyped like a certain QB last draft (Tebow anyone?). I think too many teams will be willing to risk drafting him and that is good for Texans. ALso one of the ESPN guys recently mocked an OT going to Dallas. I don't see that but hope it goes that way. At #11, we HAVE to draft a starter & preferably one not into chicken fighting.

gafftop
03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I like Ward resigning. Now need Vonta also. If Jones is there I would take him, otherwise may reach for CB and end up with nothing. Not that we have ever done that before. The Texans Offense last year seemed to be the best when they were behind by 2 or 3 TDs. How much of this was because the opponent lost focus or changed their scheme that allowed the Texans to move the ball. We need to make some FA acquisitions to have any chance to have good defense. McNair did nothing last year, he needs to spend this year. if he does not he proves he is in it only for the money. The Jets picked up multiple FAs.

PockyAF
03-09-2011, 03:08 PM

Here's a better question, what happened to all the mindless numbnuts who were screaming for Kubiak head when he inserted Ward in during a drive, and took Foster out so he can catch his breath?

I was sured that the majority of the oh, so fickled Texans' fanbase was going to be livid of this signing; seeing it as a threat to Foster having 100% of the carries.

GP
03-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Here's a better question, what happened to all the mindless numbnuts who were screaming for Kubiak head when he inserted Ward in during a drive, and took Foster out so he can catch his breath?

I was sured that the majority of the oh, so fickled Texans' fanbase was going to be livid of this signing; seeing it as a threat to Foster having 100% of the carries.

What? I think that's bogus.

I, for one, think Derrick Ward is the perfect complimentary RB to Foster.

The "oh so fickle Texans' fanbase" statement is laughable. It really is. I think that it once again shows that some people around here are trying to make a living by slamming a sector of fans any chance they get--Even if the charges don't stick.

You don't have your finger on the pulse of the "oh so fickle Texans' fanbase" as much as you think you do, IMO.

This re-signing of Ward was a blessing, and I wish it were for more than 1 year but I will take the 1 year and be happy with it. After having suffered ZERO depth at RB for this franchise's brief history, it was nice to see that we now have two guys who can run the ball and create their luck own out there (meaning they don't need wide running lanes in order to be a success).

I don't think there is a single fan here who hated this signing. Wrong play, pocky.