PDA

View Full Version : Texans Tenders

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7454001.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+(chron.com+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Twitter

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Non-tendered

Pollard
Diles
Studard
Bulman

1st round

Owen Daniels
Leinert

2nd round

Jacoby Jones
Mark Anderson
Brisiel

3rd round
Rashard Butler

nero THE zero
03-02-2011, 09:18 PM
They're all pretty inconsequential assuming we go back to the 4 year model. It is interesting that they tendered Leinart, though. I was under the impression that they were prepared to let him walk.

Lucky
03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Leinart a 1st round tender??? Wait, he would be due a 1st since that's his draft position.

I guess Wade doesn't care for Pollard.

I thought Bulman might have been a good fit as a 3-4 DE.

May be for naught, unless the league is unable to lockout the players and have to play 2011 under the 2010 CBA rules.

JimBaker488
03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
They're all pretty inconsequential assuming we go back to the 4 year model.
Help me out here ? So if the new CBA goes with the 4-yr UFA deal, all of these tenders are null & void and the Texans are in no better position than the 31 other teams to sign these players they've just tendered today ?

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
They're all pretty inconsequential assuming we go back to the 4 year model. It is interesting that they tendered Leinart, though. I was under the impression that they were prepared to let him walk.

Really the point on tendering is to cover yourself for those players between 4 year and 6 years you give flip about since the new rules could be land anywhere in that range. Going back to 4 years is the most likely outcome, but not a guarantee.

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Leinart a 1st round tender??? Wait, he would be due a 1st since that's his draft position.

I guess Wade doesn't care for Pollard.I thought Bulman might have been a good fit as a 3-4 DE.

May be for naught, unless the league is unable to lockout the players and have to play 2011 under the 2010 CBA rules.

Think he had a year of Roy Willliams (okla) as really the physical can't cover anybody safety. Not that once he left, Dallas figured out that position, but I don't think Wade likes the in-the-box primarily guy.

CloakNNNdagger
03-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Think he had a year of Roy Willliams (okla) as really the physical can't cover anybody safety. Not that once he left, Dallas figured out that position, but I don't think Wade likes the in-the-box primarily guy.

Sorry AT, but you've got it all wrong. Wade told Pollard that he would be playing NT in his new system this year. Wade didn't appreciate it when Pollard told him to FO.:tiphat:

dalemurphy
03-02-2011, 09:56 PM

It's consequential to me. It means the organization is paying attention and not being neglectful. It also says quite a bit about its opinion of those players and what they are likely to target during the draft/free agency... For instance, Quin at safety is looking even more likely.

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Sorry AT, but you've got it all wrong. Wade told Pollard that he would be playing NT in his new system this year. Wade didn't appreciate it when Pollard told him to FO.:tiphat:

Are you sure it wasn't TE? :kitten::slapfight::toropalm:

srrono
03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Could they have thrown a tender on ward? Seems like some team is going to want him we could have maybe a 3rd for him.

I would like to keep Butler need OL depth.

ArlingtonTexan
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Could they have thrown a tender on ward? Seems like some team is going to want him we could have maybe a 3rd for him.

Ward is beyond the 6 year limit. He is an Unrestricted FA no matter what.

srrono
03-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Ward is beyond the 6 year limit. He is an Unrestricted FA no matter what.

oh ok thanks

GP
03-02-2011, 11:46 PM
When John McClain read the title of this thread, he thought Bob McNair had upgraded the concession stand menu.

thankya. thankyaverymuch.

Shaft75
03-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Thread title had me thinking that the organization was changing the name of their chicken strips.

GP
03-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Thread title had me thinking that the organization was changing the name of their chicken strips.

I WAS FIRST, DAMNIT!

By a few seconds....LOL.

Shaft75
03-02-2011, 11:47 PM
When John McClain read the title of this thread, he thought Bob McNair had upgraded the concession stand menu.

thankya. thankyaverymuch.

Dude...

GP
03-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Dude...

I gave you rep.

You know what this means? It means God blessed you with the same type of thinking as me. We're practically the same person. Aren't you excited?!?!?

Malloy
03-03-2011, 02:19 AM
I gave you rep.

You know what this means? It means God blessed you with the same type of thinking as me. We're practically the same person. Aren't you excited?!?!?

So... two of you... right...

crap :)

Wolf6151
03-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Since Wade and the Texans seem to be pushing Bernard Pollard out the door and since there are rumors of moving Glover Quin to FS, does this now mean that SS is a 2nd round pick instead of FS like alot of our mocks have. Deandre McDaniels in the 2nd round maybe?

El Tejano
03-03-2011, 07:08 AM

Well given our Front Office, I'd take that as insult too.

Wade probably told him "Oooh whatcha gonna do, piss down your leg? Woooohhh!!!"

El Tejano
03-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Since Wade and the Texans seem to be pushing Bernard Pollard out the door and since there are rumors of moving Glover Quin to FS, does this now mean that SS is a 2nd round pick instead of FS like alot of our mocks have. Deandre McDaniels in the 2nd round maybe?

I think it depends on what kind of DB is available in the 1st. I just have a feeling.

CloakNNNdagger
03-03-2011, 07:24 AM

McDaniels has played back and forth from LB to FS in college, although he is projected to be more effective as a SS in the NFL. Some still believe he has the skills to take the FS position. He definitely could offer some versatility and options to the D. He is also considered an active STs player.

Name: DeAndre McDaniel
College: Clemson Number: 2
Height: 6-0 Weight: 217
Position: SS Pos2: FS

2010: First-Team All-ACC... has a team-high 73 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, a team-high four interceptions, and six pass breakups...a big reason Clemson is in the top 10 in the nation in scoring defense and is the only ACC team in the top four in the ACC in rushing defense and passing defense...had a team-high 11 tackles against North Texas...2009: Had eight interceptions and 102 tackles in 2009. The interception total was tied for third in the nation and he was the only player in college football last year with at least eight interceptions and at least 100 tackles. He was the first player in Clemson history to do both in the same season...2008: Came on strong during the second half of the season; he had 51 of his 77 tackles in the last seven games, including a team-high 11 tackles against South Carolina..had 10 special teams tackles, tied for second-most on the team...
link (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70873&draftyear=2011&genpos=SS)

After Combine:

DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson (SS) 6-0, 217
Post-Combine Skinny: The 35” vertical was the high point. He ran well, was quick and fluid through the drills, and he measured big. The 4.65 40 was just good enough to get by, and it solidified him as a strong safety and not a free safety. Now he has to prove he can tackle better.

Positives: Excellent size and uses it well. He’s like another linebacker but doesn’t move like it. … Gets moving in a hurry. Cuts well and is good at planting and going. … A strong, willing tackler who isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty. Not a finesse player, but he can run like one.

Negatives: Not the most secure tackler. Bounces a bit at times. … Not the best of coverage defenders. Made a slew of plays in college that he won’t make in the pros. … Gets blocked way too easily. Gets buried.
link (http://cfn.scout.com/2/1052375.html)

El Tejano
03-03-2011, 07:40 AM
So say someone were to sign OD, would we get that first rounder this year or next?

bigbrewster2000
03-03-2011, 07:50 AM
So say someone were to sign OD, would we get that first rounder this year or next?

It depends. We could accept any offer. 1st this year or next or 2 years from now. Obviously the value drops on those picks the further into the future you go. Generally most teams value a future 1st rounder as a second rounder. So the long answer is this year. Also that would depend on if there is a lock out and trades for players could be made on or before the draft.

bigbrewster2000
03-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Actually it is consequential. If any player we have tendered right now get offered by another team and we dont match we still get the compensation of the tender. That's why all the teams are doing it. The tender is still going to be valid under the new CBA.

Thats from the article in the other thread about expiring contracts

nero THE zero
03-03-2011, 08:00 AM
It's consequential to me. It means the organization is paying attention and not being neglectful. It also says quite a bit about its opinion of those players and what they are likely to target during the draft/free agency... For instance, Quin at safety is looking even more likely.

I don't think consequence means what you think it means.

nero THE zero
03-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Actually it is consequential. If any player we have tendered right now get offered by another team and we dont match we still get the compensation of the tender. That's why all the teams are doing it. The tender is still going to be valid under the new CBA.

Thats from the article in the other thread about expiring contracts

That's interesting. So, you're saying even under a new CBA, where we revert back to the 4 year model, players in their 5th and 6th years are stuck with these crappy tendered salaries? Tough to believe the players would be OK with that.

Do you have the link?

ETA: That's not the case according to (http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-rfa-tenders-meaningless-when-new-cba-is-signed?CID=examiner_alerts_article) AJ.
The Texans extended restricted free agent tenders to six players yesterday but if free agent rules return to the way they were in 2009 when the new CBA is signed as everyone expects, five of those six RFA tenders mean nothing.

Well actually they do mean something - for a while.

It means that Owen Daniels, Matt Leinart, Mark Anderson, Jacoby Jones and Rashad Butler are now restricted free agents under the current rules - that is until the new CBA is signed.

It means those five players won't become unrestricted free agents at midnight tonight like Bernard Pollard, Zac Diles, Tim Bulman and Kasey Studdard who were eligible for RFA tenders under the current rules but were not offered tenders.

It also means that Daniels, Leinart, Anderson, Jones and Butler will become unrestricted free agents the minute the new CBA is signed - provided unrestricted free agency returns to 4 years accrued service.

dc_txtech
03-03-2011, 08:48 AM

I get that and I don't think Pollard is the answer at SS but we don't have anybody better than him on the roster right now IMO. We have one guy who can tackle but can't cover and a bunch of guys who can't tackle or cover. Not sure why we didn't at least try to offer him a 1 year deal until we can find somebody to replace him.

thunderkyss
03-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Really surprised with the first round tender for Lienart.

I don't know if this means they don't want Pollard. More along the lines they don't think too many other teams will. They may have a dollar figure they are willing to offer him, he can take it or leave it. I doubt they want to get into a bidding war for him.

I believe Pollard will be playing when we get back to playing football. Several teams he'll be able to start for........ unfortunately, the Texans is one of those teams.

bigbrewster2000
03-03-2011, 09:23 AM
That's interesting. So, you're saying even under a new CBA, where we revert back to the 4 year model, players in their 5th and 6th years are stuck with these crappy tendered salaries? Tough to believe the players would be OK with that.

Do you have the link?

ETA: That's not the case according to (http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-rfa-tenders-meaningless-when-new-cba-is-signed?CID=examiner_alerts_article) AJ.

What it said in the article in the other thread( sorry Im being lazy) is that they are free to sign with any other team if it reverts back to the 4 year deal. However, the teams that tendered will still get compensation if they dont match the offer.

Linky

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...ontent=Twitter

GP
03-03-2011, 09:32 AM
deleted.

All this stuff is confusing.

No wonder they're having problems in the NFL. It takes a lawyer to understand everything. LOL.

Rey
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM

I don't know if this means they don't want Pollard. More along the lines they don't think too many other teams will. They may have a dollar figure they are willing to offer him, he can take it or leave it. I doubt they want to get into a bidding war for him.

I believe Pollard will be playing when we get back to playing football. Several teams he'll be able to start for........ unfortunately, the Texans is one of those teams.

No...They don't want him:

“They told me I don’t fit in Wade’s scheme,” Pollard said. “It’s just the nature of the business. I understand. I wasn’t in their plans, and it’s time to move on. And that’s fine.

“My family and I were blessed and grateful to have played two seasons here. Now it’s time for me to find another team.”

Diles, Studdard and Bulman also will be free to sign with other teams. Diles was third on the Texans with 81 tackles in 2010. Studdard was a starter in 2009. Bulman spent last season on injured reserve.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7454001.html

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2011, 09:55 AM

He was drafted in the first round so that tender level is pretty much automatic, I think.

It's like you get compensation at the level the player was drafted unless you specifically tender him for more.

At least, that's my understanding.

thunderkyss
03-03-2011, 09:58 AM
He was drafted in the first round so that tender level is pretty much automatic, I think.

It's like you get compensation at the level the player was drafted unless you specifically tender him for more.

At least, that's my understanding.

I wouldn't have thought they would tender him at all.

Does this mean they saw something they liked?

Or are they just trying to get something for nothing? Who is going to give us a 1st for Lienart? No one has seen him play in a year, & no one has seen him play well in 6 years.

Pollardized
03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Damn. My name is so irrelevant now....

thunderkyss
03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
No tender on Diles.........

I think that is a signal as to who is making the decisions now.... at least as it refers to the defense.

Kubiak has praised Diles, even said he had the ability to make the pro-bowl as a WiLL. Wade obviously don't want him, so he's got to go.

That & Sharpton played every bit as well in limited time.

nero THE zero
03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
What it said in the article in the other thread( sorry Im being lazy) is that they are free to sign with any other team if it reverts back to the 4 year deal. However, the teams that tendered will still get compensation if they dont match the offer.

Linky

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...ontent=Twitter

You're misunderstanding what he's saying:
When the new CBA is signed, unrestricted free agency is expected to return to players with just four years of service time. That means a player like Pollard would have become unrestricted anyway. It also means players like Daniels, Leinart, Jones and Anderson will be unrestricted because they have at least four seasons in the league.
That applies to all players with more than four years of service. They will become unrestricted and, thus, their tenders are inconsequential.

Whenever a new CBA is signed and free agency begins, free agents who are restricted and were tendered can sign offer sheets with other teams. If the Texans don’t match, they’ll receive compensation in the form of the tender (a first-round pick for a first-round tender, etc.).
When the new CBA is signed, presumably all players with 4 years of service or less (Briesel is the only one in our case) will bring compensation if tendered, then signed by another team.

76Texan
03-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Or are they just trying to get something for nothing? Who is going to give us a 1st for Lienart? No one has seen him play in a year, & no one has seen him play well in 6 years.

How much money is involved at this level of tender for a vet with the time of service that Leinart, anybody knows?

That would be the vet min, wouldn't it?

As much as I like Pollard's physical play, I was dissapointed with his regression in coverage much more.
Diles would have been good for depth. (They might resign him at the minimum level if he doesn't latch on with another team???)

Basically, some of the problems on defense are now gone:
Wilson, Pollard, Diles.

That's an automatic improvement in your pass defense right there.
Addition by subtraction,, I guess! :thinking:

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Even though he's tendered with a 1st that doesn't mean that we can't deal him to someone for less. This is actually a pretty shrewd deal. We can shop Leinart around and then trade him to whoever will give us the best deal. And if someone wants to go after him without talking to us, they still have to give us a 1st.

OTOH, this may just mean that Orlovsky is gone.

76Texan
03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Even though he's tendered with a 1st that doesn't mean that we can't deal him to someone for less. This is actually a pretty shrewd deal. We can shop Leinart around and then trade him to whoever will give us the best deal. And if someone wants to go after him without talking to us, they still have to give us a 1st.

I agree with the first paragraph.
On Dan O., I think he stays.
After the contract restructuring last year, his salary is more in line with the market.
I don't think the Texans would want to spend time and effort looking for another back-up QB while they have other things to be concerned with.

nero THE zero
03-03-2011, 10:21 AM

It doesn't really mean anything significant. It's just a cover-your-ass administrative move.

Barring something unforeseen, Leinart will be an unrestricted free agent the moment a new collective bargaining agreement is signed.

GP
03-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Yeah, it's kinda' messy when your screen name is attached to a player or coach and then they depart. I think the only such name that still works, by contrast, is the screen name Carr Bombed which I think is iconic and will always stay en vogue around here.

Contact one of the mods and see if they will change your screen name for you. Keep your avatar just like it is, and people will know it's still you.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Meh, nudge me when a new CBA's signed.

BigBull17
03-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Its not that they are pushing him out the door, but they asked him to cover it and it got behind him.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
lol

During the last game of the 2010 preseason, Matt Leinart was reportedly caught on a hidden mic trashing coach Ken Whisenhunt and the Cardinals organization.
Approached by a teammate who was wired for sounds of the game, Leinart let fly like Mussolini from the balcony. He was released just a couple of days later, though the incident had little impact. Multiple reports had the Cardinals cutting ties with Leinart in the week leading up to the final preseason game. Leinart, a four-year vet, was tendered at the original-pick (first-round) level by the Texans Thursday.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

El Tejano
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
What I find interesting is not tendering Zac Diles. Looking OLB in the draft are we?

Brandon420tx
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Diles would be Inside LB in this system. We got Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton and who else?

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Diles would be Inside LB in this system. We got Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton and who else?

Bentley.

Big Lou
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I thought the marketing department signed a deal with Dairy Queen to sell thier chicken tenders in the shape of the Texans Logo.

Come try the new Toro Combo only at DQ!!!!!

Malloy
03-04-2011, 01:25 AM

Not at all, consider it an expression more than a hommage to Pollard ;)

The Pencil Neck
03-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Now you're Old School.

Granted only by 1 year, but still.

BigBull17
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
lol

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Very bush league. His team mate set him up big time.

Shaft75
03-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I gave you rep.

I tried to rep you but I must spread more.

I didn't see this post before, however I am extremely excited to know that I'm as whacked as you are! LOL