PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Rogers to Saints...Best FA NT off the board

incubry
03-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Saints land Shaun Rogers

Posted by Mike Florio of PFT on March 1, 2011, 9:26 PM EST

With two days remaining before the ability to sign a new deal expires with the labor agreement, veteran defensive tackle Shaun Rogers has a new team.

Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that Rogers has agreed to terms with the Saints on a one-year contract.

Rogers was cut by the Browns last month. He has never been to the playoffs; he joins a team that will be favored to make the playoffs in 2011, if not the Super Bowl.

Carr Bombed
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Saints land Shaun Rogers

Posted by Mike Florio of PFT on March 1, 2011, 9:26 PM EST

With two days remaining before the ability to sign a new deal expires with the labor agreement, veteran defensive tackle Shaun Rogers has a new team.

Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that Rogers has agreed to terms with the Saints on a one-year contract.

Rogers was cut by the Browns last month. He has never been to the playoffs; he joins a team that will be favored to make the playoffs in 2011, if not the Super Bowl.

Why wouldn't he sign with the Saints? It'll still be a dream come true for him, because he can still spend a lot of time at home. What is it, like a 3 hour drive? Except he's playing for a SB contending team. Still kind of pissed he didn't even get a sniff here...

P.S.

Welcome to the board.

Doppelganger
03-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Smart move on his part. He will get some good $ and will play on a contender.

Trap_Star
03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
jenkins is still available...if healthy he'd be the better stop gap NT.

thunderkyss
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
We'll see Shaun Rogers in the regular season.

Hagar
03-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Why wouldn't he sign with the Saints? It'll still be a dream come true for him, because he can still spend a lot of time at home. What is it, like a 3 hour drive? Except he's playing for a SB contending team. Still kind of pissed he didn't even get a sniff here...
I'm kinda pissed here too. What is it with these freakin small tackles that the Texans love so much? Our DTs are going to get blown off line again and it won't matter that we changed to a 3-4!

leebigeztx
03-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Been knowing Rogers and his family for awhile now and when I spoke with him last week, he was waiting on a call from the texans. Typical texans, they didnt even call. Business as usual.

Second Honeymoon
03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
He wanted to play here and ended up with a one year deal.

Go **** yourself, Smithiaknair

Trap_Star
03-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Been knowing Rogers and his family for awhile now and when I spoke with him last week, he was waiting on a call from the texans. Typical texans, they didnt even call. Business as usual.

damn...a call would of been the least they could of done. :toropalm::toropalm:

JB
03-01-2011, 09:49 PM
It is almost hilarious how predictable this board is.

Hervoyel
03-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Texans just doing that business as usual they do so well. They stand pat better than any team in football. Excellence on display at Reliant once again.

Hookem Horns
03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
The typical Texans during the offseason ---> :cricket:

Lucky
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
It is almost hilarious how predictable this board is.
The criticism is certainly of the knee jerk variety. And the Texans have earned every bit of it.

steelbtexan
03-01-2011, 11:46 PM
6-10

That smaller quick interior DL philosophy sure is working.

SOS

Norg
03-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Good im kinda glad this dude has Slump written all over him

JB
03-02-2011, 06:41 AM
The criticism is certainly of the knee jerk variety. And the Texans have earned every bit of it.

Yes they have. And if the Texans would have signed Rogers, there would be pissing and moaning about signing an old injury prone DT when we could have waited to see what else would be available.

IDEXAN
03-02-2011, 07:03 AM
While Rogers is a DLineman who's skills obviously aren't scheme-dependant to be effective, it's still surprising to me that a team which operates out of a base 4-3 has been able to sign him since he's been valued up to now most highly as a 3-4 Nose ?

HoustonFrog
03-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Good im kinda glad this dude has Slump written all over him

Maybe but a one year for a guy who could be a complete havoc causing stud is an easy call. What is there to lose?

Yes they have. And if the Texans would have signed Rogers, there would be pissing and moaning about signing an old injury prone DT when we could have waited to see what else would be available.

I'd agree with this if they signed him to 4 years and 20 million but the fact that a team got him for a year and that is all it took makes me think people would have been receptive to the effort. I wouldn't want him for a long term deal but one year..why not.

Charlie Sheen would call this..."Not Winning."

Dutchrudder
03-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Per La Canflora NFL.com:

Shaun Rogers turned down roughly $6 million from another team to accept a deal with the New Orleans Saints for about $2 million less, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday.

The Saints announced via Twitter that they had agreed to a one-year deal with Rogers, a three-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, but they didn't reveal financial terms. However, the source said Rogers will receive about $4 million.

Rogers visited the Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Redskins, and he had opportunities to see other teams, but he wanted to join the Saints, who won the Super Bowl in the 2009 season.

Rogers, 31, is coming off the worst statistical season of his 10-year NFL career. He made just 17 tackles and had two sacks, both career lows, for the Cleveland Browns, who released him after the season.

Rogers was a second-round draft pick by the Lions in 2001 and made two Pro Bowls in seven seasons in Detroit. He signed with the Browns in 2007 and made the Pro Bowl again in 2008.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e8f9d0/article/rogers-rejects-other-teams-6m-offer-takes-saints-4m-deal?module=HP_headlines

I would bet money the Texans were not willing to spend 6 million dollars on Rogers, and I don't blame them. I thought Rogers would get about 2-3 million a year, but it looks like his price was a bit higher than that.

One other thing to note is that both the Redskins and Chiefs, who were the other teams making offers to him, are both 3-4 defenses, yet Rogers signed with a 4-3 defense. That might have something to do with his decision along with the chance at winning a Super Bowl.

Sorry, not gonna blame the Texans on this one.

GP
03-02-2011, 09:02 AM
One year deal. Texans never even called him.

LOL. You can't write comedy this good.

I think CBS should replace Two And A Half Men with another comedy show about the Texans called Three Full Jackasses.

:toropalm:

BigBull17
03-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Did you really expect Rick Smith to come back early from vacation? Besides, he has to finish 34 for dummies.

GP
03-02-2011, 09:13 AM

I will certainly blame them for not even calling the guy.

If there was no communication by the Texans, then there's no telling what could have been done to get him here. Maybe a two-year deal would have done the trick. You just never know what combination would have worked.

But you know what? McNair hasn't moved on anything yet. He knows full well that signing anybody to anything (right now) is not a good gamble with the labor issues stalling and potentially pushing football out of the picture altogether if it goes to the courts and it takes almost a year to settle it.

Yeah, Smith has been chatting with some Texans players agents at the combine. Small talk and nothing more, according to the reports (unless there's new news since I last saw the reports posted here). But there are teams whose owners know what's going to happen, since they are in agreement to let it get to that point, just as we've seen it play out before us. Outside of some coaching moves, this team and other teams are waiting it out because they think there won't even be football at all...which would make any free agent signing a gamble they might lose upon. And we know that McNair likes the safe bets. So that tells me where this is headed. McNair has become a low risk, low reward guy since Capers-Casserly blew this place up with dead money antics...so the non-action in free agency tells me he knows what's coming down the pike.

Dutchrudder
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I will certainly blame them for not even calling the guy.

If there was no communication by the Texans, then there's no telling what could have been done to get him here. Maybe a two-year deal would have done the trick. You just never know what combination would have worked.

I don't think for a second that Rick Smith got on the phone and called Shaun, but I would think that he at least talked to his agent. There's no reason to think he did or did not, but I would guess that nearly every team called his agent just to see what the market was for Rogers. 4-6 million a year is a bit much for a guy with his resume. He hasn't been very productive lately, so no I don't blame Rick Smith for not bringing him into town for a workout. If you know he's valued well above what you think he's worth, then why waste the time with the dog and pony show?

HoustonFrog
03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Per La Canflora NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e8f9d0/article/rogers-rejects-other-teams-6m-offer-takes-saints-4m-deal?module=HP_headlines

I would bet money the Texans were not willing to spend 6 million dollars on Rogers, and I don't blame them. I thought Rogers would get about 2-3 million a year, but it looks like his price was a bit higher than that.

One other thing to note is that both the Redskins and Chiefs, who were the other teams making offers to him, are both 3-4 defenses, yet Rogers signed with a 4-3 defense. That might have something to do with his decision along with the chance at winning a Super Bowl.

Completely disagree. Rogers expressed interest in playing for the Texans and playing here. The piece above shows that he was willing to take a discount for the right team. Who says he wouldn't have taken less to play at home? Wouldn't the effort of a phone call to explore that option been at least advisable? When he first came on the market I didn't want him because I thought it would take too many years with too much money. This just shows why you make an exploratory call. 1 year for 4 milion and some incentives isn't alot. Maybe they did call but to me this was an easy deal compared to others.

GP
03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I don't think for a second that Rick Smith got on the phone and called Shaun, but I would think that he at least talked to his agent. There's no reason to think he did or did not, but I would guess that nearly every team called his agent just to see what the market was for Rogers. 4-6 million a year is a bit much for a guy with his resume. He hasn't been very productive lately, so no I don't blame Rick Smith for not bringing him into town for a workout. If you know he's valued well above what you think he's worth, then why waste the time with the dog and pony show?

Yeah, it is possible that the insider info stating "Shaun never got a call from the Texans" is skewed (by Rogers himself). It's possible that he had at least some measure of interest by the Texans but nothing substantial.

As fans, we sit here and don't know anything because the Kubiak era of the Texans franchise is marked by utmost secrecy. Unless one of the three top guys (McNair, Kubiak or Smith) say something...you don't know what's going on. A few players will drop a line every now and then, but outside of that it's not like the Texans allow the media nor the fans to know much of their thought process or how they handle things like this.

So all we have left is a guy (Rogers) telling an acquaintance that the Texans didn't call him. Could have meant "The Texans didn't make the call to finalize an offer." Could also mean "They never called at all." Who knows?

The Patriots added Stroud. So there are a few teams out there making SOME moves in free agency, but we're not. Or at least we're not pulling the trigger on any deals that were in the works.

If I had a putrid defense last year, and had the chance to add a beefy high-energy DT to my new 3-4 defense--meaning I have more flexibility in the draft now--I get it handled for a one or two contract with heavy emphasis on incentives and a big bonus up front. We're now in the "hoping and wishing" game where we, as fans, hope and wish that there will be more free agents to go after once the CBA is settled. Hoping and wishing that we intentionally passed on these first round of guys because there'll be more guys later on.

It's frustrating, though.

infantrycak
03-02-2011, 10:38 AM
What fun. Now we are debating the ineptitude of not outbidding the Saints to get a guy who started 1 game last year for the Cleveland Browns.

bah007
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
What fun. Now we are debating the ineptitude of not outbidding the Saints to get a guy who started 1 game last year for the Cleveland Browns.

I'm kind of hoping we finally add a fat waste of space NT this year just so the hundreds of offseason threads about it will go away.

The fanatic obsession on this board for a fat NT has reached historic levels this year.

How about we go after the best players and not the biggest?

bah007
03-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Now, I'm not defending the way the Texans go about business. Because I certainly don't agree with it all the time.

But I can't believe that people are seriously this upset that we didn't try to outbid a team for a guy who is about to be 32 years old and has only started 12 of his team's last 32 games. Seriously?

HoustonFrog
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Now, I'm not defending the way the Texans go about business. Because I certainly don't agree with it all the time.

But I can't believe that people are seriously this upset that we didn't try to outbid a team for a guy who is about to be 32 years old and has only started 12 of his team's last 32 games. Seriously?

I don't think that is how most that are ripping the team are thinking. The Saints won a SB after signing an allegedly injury prone safety to shore up a horrible defense. It worked. Teams do it yearly. I'm not saying Shaun Rogers should be bitched about if he was asking for long term money. I didn't want him and warned against him in that scenario. But the facts remain...the Texans have no one who clogs the middle or gets pressure up the middle. The never have. This guy liked it here and got a 1 year deal. What is the harm since so far drafting fat guys and young guys in the Top 10 hasn't produced squat. Where is the "outbidding?" He wanted NO. He also said he wanted here. 1 year/4 mil isn't breaking the bank. It is why I was never upset when the Cowboys tried guys like Tank Johnson. Short, incentive contracts, where you have nothing really to lose if it doesn't work are worth it.

Ckw
03-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Why am I not surprised? This organization is pathetic, and I hope I can keep myself from wasting money on any tickets next year if there even is a next year.

This organization is such a joke we probably won't even give Nnamdi a call...

thunderkyss
03-02-2011, 11:30 AM

I don't think so.

It wouldn't be till after Shaun Rogers laid down that they'll say the Texans should have known better. If he would have laid down or got hurt.

It's a hingsight thing.

If he tears it up for the Saints, Texans should have known better. If he gets hurt, or doesn't produce, things would have been different here, & the Texans should have known better.

The Texans can't win.

But.... I do agree, it doesn't make sense they didn't even bring him in for talks.

dalemurphy
03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Am I the only one that has seen this guy play football the past four years? Why on earth would anyone want us to sign him? All of you guys complaining: you must absolutely love Chris Myers because Myers took Rogers to the woodshed in 2008. Rogers is fat and lazy. And, the only reason he signed a deal as quickly as he did was to secure some money before the work-stoppage.

There are plenty things to criticize the organization about. However, when you complain that they didn't try and sign Shaun Rogers, you lose a little credibility for when you have a legitimate complaint.

(I'm taking wagers from anyone that believes Shaun Rogers will play well for the Saints in 2011.. He can haggle over the details later. But, by any standard, he is a sure thing.)

thunderkyss
03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
While Rogers is a DLineman who's skills obviously aren't scheme-dependant to be effective, it's still surprising to me that a team which operates out of a base 4-3 has been able to sign him since he's been valued up to now most highly as a 3-4 Nose ?

But he wants to play in a 4-3.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Am I the only one that has seen this guy play football the past four years? Why on earth would anyone want us to sign him? All of you guys complaining: you must absolutely love Chris Myers because Myers took Rogers to the woodshed in 2008. Rogers is fat and lazy. And, the only reason he signed a deal as quickly as he did was to secure some money before the work-stoppage.

There are plenty things to criticize the organization about. However, when you complain that they didn't try and sign Shaun Rogers, you lose a little credibility for when you have a legitimate complaint.

You lose credibilty when you say stuff like above and throw out "the past 4 years." 3 years ago he was in the Pro Bowl. The year before that he played all the games and was a force with the Lions. The next year he broke his leg. Last year was an off year. Research would help your credibility. IT IS a 1 YEAR DEAL. Who cares. It is worth a shot.

And for anyone here trying to rip fans saying that they would complain no matter what happened...this is what happens when your organization makes 9 years of idiotic moves and can't get out of its own shadow. It's not the fans. It is the inept organization. Good teams take low risk chances. Bad teams stand pat and say "we are almost there."

and Thunder is right..the guy wants to play in a 4-3. He played it with the Lions. The Browns had to move him to end to try and get the most of him in the 3-4.

RazorOye
03-02-2011, 11:47 AM
(I'm taking wagers from anyone that believes Shaun Rogers will play well for the Saints in 2011.. He can haggle over the details later. But, by any standard, he is a sure thing.)

If there is a next season, I'll take that bet. Because I'm a pie-eyed optimist with years of "there's always next year" as a Saints fan conditioning me to that predisposition.

Hell, all we had for years was offseason optimism because the regular season with an exercise in perpetual futility. When they played games during the season, we knew they were ****ty.

In the offseason, when games aren't played, anything is possible, right? :D

He killed the Saints line (2 Pro Bowl Guards and a Pro Bowl C) against us this year - that performance alone might have been enough of a performance.

It's a risk - no doubt. I'd like to say that if he was only interested in a payday, he would've taken more money instead of less to come to NO. Again, that's the optimist in me.

But the guy's got a reputation that's deserved and even though he's a current favorite of Message Board Guy for the Saints, I don't think he'll live up to that billing.

But play "well" - I'm an optimist. Out of necessity.

IDEXAN
03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Texans never even called him.

LOL. You can't write comedy this good.

I think CBS should replace Two And A Half Men with another comedy show about the Texans called Three Full Jackasses.

That was Wade's call, or his non-call as it were (honestly, no pun intended).
So you can't blame Smitiak, but apparently Wade just didn't like Rogers for his particular version of the 3-4 for whatever reason ?

gary
03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
I like this move because it is a one year deal and he does fit the 4-3 better.

Mr teX
03-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Tommy Harris & Chris Jenkins are still available...why is this even a thread?

Texecutioner
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Typical apologists at work in this thread making excuses for the Texans not even getting off of their rears to make a phone call and try to negotiate something.

I've been against any long term signing of Rogers, but for a one year deal, this is just another one that makes the Texans look like a joke that they've been the last 9 years. The guy wanted to be here and this deal could have probably easily been done here. It would have at least sent a message that they're trying to improve the team. The Texans have been such a disgrace at this point they need to make a few moves just to prove that they'll try to improve the team other than the draft in which they're pretty much forced to participate in.

A deal like this would have been fine though. Low risk. Not to much money. But of course we're never even around even for negotiations. We're sticking to the status quo that's gotten us nowhere which is to build through the draft.

gary
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
He wanted to come here because he likes Kubiak.

HOU-TEX
03-02-2011, 01:37 PM

Plus, wasn't this the moron that had a loaded gun in his carry-on bag getting ready to board a plane?

Meh, I don't care much about this dude but I do hope we have sights on a couple few other NT prospects when there is a FA period. Unless of course, Wade really does mean what he said of Mitchell and Cody

eriadoc
03-02-2011, 01:58 PM
He wanted to play here and ended up with a one year deal.

Go **** yourself, Smithiaknair

It's not often that I agree 100% with you, but this is exactly my feeling on it. It's one thing if he went out and signed a multi-year deal worth too much money. But he didn't even get a call from the team and signed a one year deal? This team is freakin' stupid. They're not stupid for not signing him; they're stupid for how they conduct themselves in free agency and player acquisition in general.

dalemurphy
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
You lose credibilty when you say stuff like above and throw out "the past 4 years." 3 years ago he was in the Pro Bowl. The year before that he played all the games and was a force with the Lions. The next year he broke his leg. Last year was an off year. Research would help your credibility. IT IS a 1 YEAR DEAL. Who cares. It is worth a shot.

And for anyone here trying to rip fans saying that they would complain no matter what happened...this is what happens when your organization makes 9 years of idiotic moves and can't get out of its own shadow. It's not the fans. It is the inept organization. Good teams take low risk chances. Bad teams stand pat and say "we are almost there."

and Thunder is right..the guy wants to play in a 4-3. He played it with the Lions. The Browns had to move him to end to try and get the most of him in the 3-4.

Oh... he made the probowl? I guess that means he must have played very well...

signed Vince Young, Roy Williams, and hundreds of other players whose reputations are greater than their performance.

You are certainly entitled to your belief that the Texans' organization is a bad one. Certainly, they have been a failure in many ways... However, perhaps some of you should audit a college logic course. Many of you are arguing that the Texans' made an error not signing Shaun Rogers and your reasoning is that the Texans' organization is poor, therefore they must've screwed up here too. Otherwise, wouldn't you agree that there are a lot of NFL teams that could've upgraded at DT with Shaun Rogers but also did not schedule a visit with him. Doesn't that mean they screwed up too? or, is it only the teams you don't respect that could've been wrong here?

NyJets?
Miami?
Indianapolis?
Tennessee?
Philadelphia?
Minnesota?
Atlanta?

Double Barrel
03-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I'd bet it's one of two factors (or both) at play here with the Texans: Rogers' past didn't pass McNair's high-conduct-standards sniff test, and/or, Wade wasn't interested in him.

It doesn't surprise me that they never even called him. Based upon what we know about this franchise and it's M.O., I would have been shocked if they contacted him. His past alone was enough to lead me to think that the Texans wouldn't bother to look at him.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Oh... he made the probowl? I guess that means he must have played very well...

signed Vince Young, Roy Williams, and hundreds of other players whose reputations are greater than their performance.

You are certainly entitled to your belief that the Texans' organization is a bad one. Certainly, they have been a failure in many ways... However, perhaps some of you should audit a college logic course. Many of you are arguing that the Texans' made an error not signing Shaun Rogers and your reasoning is that the Texans' organization is poor, therefore they must've screwed up here too. Otherwise, wouldn't you agree that there are a lot of NFL teams that could've upgraded at DT with Shaun Rogers but also did not schedule a visit with him. Doesn't that mean they screwed up too? or, is it only the teams you don't respect that could've been wrong here?

NyJets?
Miami?
Indianapolis?
Tennessee?
Philadelphia?
Minnesota?
Atlanta?

Another course in the Dale Murphy School of Twisting Logic and Taking Things Out of Context.

The first 2 years of the the "4" you speak of he played and started all 16 games of each. In both of those years..one with Lions and one with Browns, he was considered one of the premiere D-linemen. Heck, the guy made the PB 3 times so it isn't like he lucked into 1 year. So throwing out random names is so typical you Dale.

As for your second rambling paragraph that took everyone out of context....no one is saying they made a mistake because Shaun Rogers is awesome and because they always make mistakes, they made one again. People are arguing simple football logic. a) THE Texans defense was the worst in the NFL b) they have never had an interior D-lineman who can put pressure on the QB and cause havoc and c) he wanted to play here and you didn't have to give him a long tern deal. Easy. The other teams you named might have guys in the wings, contingency plans, Rogers didn't want to go there, etc

As for the organization...yeah, if you do something over and over and it doesn't work and you see it happening again, you call a duck a duck. In this case I don't think the cursory glance was made because Bob has to have guys that are clean.

gary
03-02-2011, 02:59 PM
DT is need so should have just made him an easy offer. Enough said.

dalemurphy
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Another course in the Dale Murphy School of Twisting Logic and Taking Things Out of Context.

The first 2 years of the the "4" you speak of he played and started all 16 games of each. In both of those years..one with Lions and one with Browns, he was considered one of the premiere D-linemen. Heck, the guy made the PB 3 times so it isn't like he lucked into 1 year. So throwing out random names is so typical you Dale.

As for your second rambling paragraph that took everyone out of context....no one is saying they made a mistake because Shaun Rogers is awesome and because they always make mistakes, they made one again. People are arguing simple football logic. a) THE Texans defense was the worst in the NFL b) they have never had an interior D-lineman who can put pressure on the QB and cause havoc and c) he wanted to play here and you didn't have to give him a long tern deal. Easy. The other teams you named might have guys in the wings, contingency plans, Rogers didn't want to go there, etc

As for the organization...yeah, if you do something over and over and it doesn't work and you see it happening again, you call a duck a duck. In this case I don't think the cursory glance was made because Bob has to have guys that are clean.

How many probowls did safety Roy Williams make?

It is absolutely ludicrous to criticize an organization for not attempting to sign one, specific player. There is an entire off-season yet to unfold. Feel free to predict failure all you'd like but there is no way that not signing Shaun Rogers equates (or is even a sign) to a failed off-season. Look at all the good organizations that need help at DT and did not look at him. Give me a freakin' break! And, if your best argument is that a 32 year old D-lineman was good three years ago and therefore should be signed by the Texans to a $4 million + contract.... well, good luck with that.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2011, 03:40 PM
How many probowls did safety Roy Williams make?

It is absolutely ludicrous to criticize an organization for not attempting to sign one, specific player. There is an entire off-season yet to unfold. Feel free to predict failure all you'd like but there is no way that not signing Shaun Rogers equates (or is even a sign) to a failed off-season. Look at all the good organizations that need help at DT and did not look at him. Give me a freakin' break! And, if your best argument is that a 32 year old D-lineman was good three years ago and therefore should be signed by the Texans to a $4 million + contract.... well, good luck with that.

Dude, I really hope you don't so this in everyday conversations with people because it is ludicrous.

1) Nowhere in my post did I say the the offseason would be a failure or did I predict failure.

2) The being good 3 years ago was brought up because YOU said he wasn't good for 4 years!By the way, 2 years ago it wasn't that he wasn't good, he broke his leg. So don't bring up easily refutable factors and then try and turn it around.

3) I answered your question about other organizations. Some have guys in the wings. Others have to make roster cuts. That is how the NFL works. We aren't talking about them though, we are talking about a non-playoff team whose biggest need is a guy like him and secondary.

4) 1 year and 4 million is an easy contract

5) Stop naming players. He made the Pro Bowl by being dominant...also a 2nd team All-Pro. He didn't make it by being a 1 trick pony.

Please slow down and read....need + easy signing + wanting to play here = why not attempt

Section516
03-02-2011, 04:05 PM
They should of called, brought him in, at least spoke with him. He wanted to be here. He did not (obviously) want an obscene contract. Even 4m for role player if that was all he turned out to be for one year isn't much at all. He wasn't asking Schobel money.

I feel this is a lost opportunity, and continues to give me a feeling that we will not shore up the defensive holes at all with FA (J.Joseph, Ike Taylor, Atogwe, not considering Aso)

Double Barrel
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
What I find amusing is people's serious and seemingly well-meaning concerns about spending Bob McNair's money. This is the same franchise that gave friggin' Dan Orlovsky a three-year, $9.15 million contract!* :crazy:

To me, the only 'valid' reason not to look at Rogers should be Wade's opinion that he's not fit for his system. I really hope that the squeaky-clean litmus test had nothing to do with it, because that means that McNair has learned little in that regard from his 9 years of being an owner.

*and yes, I am aware that Dan O. restructured last season, but it's the point of giving him that original contract that I'm focusing on here.

dalemurphy
03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Dude, I really hope you don't so this in everyday conversations with people because it is ludicrous.

1) Nowhere in my post did I say the the offseason would be a failure or did I predict failure.

2) The being good 3 years ago was brought up because YOU said he wasn't good for 4 years!By the way, 2 years ago it wasn't that he wasn't good, he broke his leg. So don't bring up easily refutable factors and then try and turn it around.

3) I answered your question about other organizations. Some have guys in the wings. Others have to make roster cuts. That is how the NFL works. We aren't talking about them though, we are talking about a non-playoff team whose biggest need is a guy like him and secondary.

4) 1 year and 4 million is an easy contract

5) Stop naming players. He made the Pro Bowl by being dominant...also a 2nd team All-Pro. He didn't make it by being a 1 trick pony.

Please slow down and read....need + easy signing + wanting to play here = why not attempt

2) I said he hasn't been good for four years. We can argue about whether that would/wouldn't include 2007. Regardless, I saw the guy play in 2008 and an accolade as silly as the probowl isn't change the fact that he was unimpressive in 2008.. You know, when the Browns threw money at him in order to fix their interior line and the result was a 4-12 record. Surely, as a Texan fan, you remember the game we played in Cleveland. It was the game where Chris Myers pushed Rogers all over the field.

3) Phillie's defensive stunk last seaon, they need help at DT, and they are under the cap. Why didn't they look at Rogers if he is so obviously someone a good organization would be interested in?

4) Once FA begins, we are looking at the strongest class of defensive free agents in many years. So, yeah, throwing $4 million at a fat, lazy DT is a big deal.

5) We disagree about Rogers' performance in 2008, obviously. Regardless, though, Roy Williams is a great example of a bad player making multiple probowls (5 consecutive probowls)... that's solid anecdotal evidence that making the probowl doesn't neccessarily mean you had a good season.

why not attempt?: because they don't think he will help the team and/or they have plans to better address the position when free agency begins and the market becomes flooded with defensive players all desperate for money since they've been sitting on the sidelines without collecting checks during the lockout.

Grams
03-02-2011, 06:13 PM
They should of called, brought him in, at least spoke with him. He wanted to be here. He did not (obviously) want an obscene contract. Even 4m for role player if that was all he turned out to be for one year isn't much at all. He wasn't asking Schobel money.

I feel this is a lost opportunity, and continues to give me a feeling that we will not shore up the defensive holes at all with FA (J.Joseph, Ike Taylor, Atogwe, not considering Aso)

How do you know they did not call?

Some people seem to get all upset over our not signing a mediocre player. Don't we have enough of them already?