PDA

View Full Version : Owen Daniels one step closer to leaving?

2slik4u
02-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Not sure if this was posted anywhere else, if so, please merge.

From the looks of it, it seems that OD is heading out the door.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/2/25/2014838/owen-daniels-escapes-franchise-tag-deadline-untagged-will-he-escape?ref=yahoo

Wolf6151
02-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Bye... Dreesen, Casey, and Graham can handle the TE duties just fine.

dream_team
02-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Bye... Dreesen, Casey, and Graham can handle the TE duties just fine.

I hope you're right. The games OD played 100% last season made such a huge difference to the offense! If true, I hope to see Casey or Graham step up as the starter.

Carr Bombed
02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
LOL at the notion of Owen Daniels agreeing to sign for the vet min. with any team. That was pretty far fetched.

ThaShark316
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
This offense will have more slow starts w/o him.

Sorry but Dreessen ain't Owen. This offense hasn't been the same since week 10 of 2009.

El Tejano
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Garret Graham can play. He was even drafted because he pretty much had the same skill set as OD. This was why he was drafted - for when this day came with OD.

I think it is just a matter of seeing if other teams will give OD the big contract and if we can match it or not.

2slik4u
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I hope you're right. The games OD played 100% last season made such a huge difference to the offense! If true, I hope to see Casey or Graham step up as the starter.

I agree with you on this but the guy cannot stay healthy. I would sign him back for a minimal, incentive based contract but he is going to want some good $ to play anywhere. I say we let some other team take on that headache. Maybe letting him go will be one step closer to free up some room to get that big name vet FA?

I hope so.

ChampionTexan
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
LOL at the notion of Owen Daniels agreeing to sign for the vet min. with any team. That was pretty far fetched.

Absolutely agree, plus I think it's kind of misleading if not out and out inaccurate to say he "hasn't been able to get through a season in full health for quite awhile now". He played in and started 16 games in both 2007 & 2008, and I believe the games missed last season were an indirect result of the '09 injury.

The conclusion reached may have been correct, but I'm not at all impressed with the article.

I do agree that it could very well happen, but I think letting OD get away would be a big mistake.

disaacks3
02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I would not want Daniels back this season without a massive paycut. I'd want him to take either the veteran minimum or close to it. A healthy Daniels is probably a better receiver than either James Casey or Joel Dreessen at this point, but he hasn't been able to get through a season in full health for quite awhile now. Additionally, as I brought up above, he's just a terrible blocker. He's always been an awful blocker. Putting him on the field, with his receiving skills, would be a boon if he could block at even a league-average level, but he can't do that at this point. If it's not a situation that dictates you're going to pass the ball 80% of the time or so, I'd much rather have Casey or Dreessen out there at this point, and I'm not sure Casey is much of a downgrade from Daniels in the passing game either.

So much of this is laughable, that there's little point in discussing it.

- Horrible Blocker?
- Vet Minimum?
- Rather have Casey / Dreesen unless 80% passing?

:mariopalm:

HoustonFrog
02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I like OD. I don't think he is the reason they lost games when he was hurt but I think he fits the offense, works with Schaub better and can find the holes in the defense much better than anyone named so far. Guys like Casey are special teamers right now and if they were as good they would have been more prominent in the 2 years since drafted.

dc_txtech
02-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Sorry but Dreessen ain't Owen. This offense hasn't been the same since week 10 of 2009.

Dreessen was a big part of Arian Fosters league leading year and the dudes got pretty good hands as well. He may not be the route runner that Daniels is/was but he is a much better blocker and also he hasn't torn both his ACL's.

Is Daniels going to be a restricted free agent? Will we have the chance to match an offer? I'm not so sure he is going to get the big contract that he is after on the open market.

Ole Miss Texan
02-28-2011, 02:08 PM
I really really like Owen Daniels and think he's been a great TE for us when healthy. But rumor has it, he was looking for a contract to be one of the highest paid TEs in the league. It's anyone's guess what he was "demanding" but if that were the case... he'd want a multi-year $7MM+/year contract.

That's just not a wise investment in my opinion. No Dreessen, Casey, Graham aren't as good... but $7MM per year for a tight end is nuts when you consider the other players we just signed or will soon re-sign.

If he does indeed go, I wish him all the luck.

infantrycak
02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I really really like Owen Daniels and think he's been a great TE for us when healthy. But rumor has it, he was looking for a contract to be one of the highest paid TEs in the league. It's anyone's guess what he was "demanding" but if that were the case... he'd want a multi-year $7MM+/year contract.

That was before his injury. OD seems smart enough to know his market value went down after that.

Dutchrudder
02-28-2011, 02:28 PM

That's just not a wise investment in my opinion. No Dreessen, Casey, Graham aren't as good... but $7MM per year for a tight end is nuts when you consider the other players we just signed or will soon re-sign.

If he does indeed go, I wish him all the luck.

From what I recall, he was asking to be paid as a top 5 TE. I don't think he warrants that money, but I would like to keep him on the team for about 3 million a year + incentives. A guy like him who has a lot of uncertainty around his production could be just fine with an incentive laden deal. If he does well, he makes lots of money, if he gets hurt again, he only makes 3 mill. Seems reasonable to me.

2slik4u
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
So much of this is laughable, that there's little point in discussing it.

- Horrible Blocker?
- Vet Minimum?
- Rather have Casey / Dreesen unless 80% passing?
:mariopalm:

Are you saying hes a great blocker?

Are you saying he wont take the vet minimum? If so, we all know that.

On your third point, I would rather have those two over an overpaid guy with major knee surgeries. OD's knees are shot and I would be surprised if one more doesnt end his career. I dont mind signing him but it has to be extremely incentive based and low salary. I know theres no chance of this happening which is why he will walk.

IDEXAN
02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
That was before his injury. OD seems smart enough to know his market value went down after that.
Maybe not, he wasn't smart enough to jump all over that deal he reportedly had back in 2009 before his injury, which was it turns the third season-ending knee injury of his career. OD had it in his head he was an All-Pro TE, when in reality he was just an alternate who got to play because somebody else got hurt or sick or something and couldn't make the game.
I really like OD as a person and he's done well in Kubiaks system because he's such a good fit, but he is a scheme-dependant player who just has gotten an inflated idea about his own market value.

Rey
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I'd probably trade Dreesen and let Casey and Grahm play more before I let OD walk.

Initially I wanted to let him go, but after seeing him last season compared to Dreesen, they are not really in the same leauge as far as route running goes and presenting themselves as an open target for Shammy.

Doppelganger
02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd probably trade Dreesen and let Casey and Grahm play more before I let OD walk.

Initially I wanted to let him go, but after seeing him last season compared to Dreesen, they are not really in the same leauge as far as route running goes and presenting themselves as an open target for Shammy.

Dreesen has no trade value.

Rey
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Dreesen has no trade value.

I doubt that.

He may not fetch anything of significant value, but I think there are teams that would not mind trading a late round pick for him.

Dutchrudder
02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I doubt that.

He may not fetch anything of significant value, but I think there are teams that would not mind trading a late round pick for him.

He was a 6th round pick in 2005 by the NY Jets. So if they got anything 5th or higher for him, I'd say they did pretty well. However, he's cheap at only ~1 mill a year so it's not like they couldn't keep him and OD around.

CloakNNNdagger
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Source: D.J. Williams met with Steelers, Vikings, Buccaneers and Texans (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-DJ-Williams-met-with-Steelers-Vikings-Buccaneers-and-Texans.html)Aaron Wilson

February 28, 2011

Arkansas tight end D.J. Williams interviewed with the Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Williams is a versatile prospect who has drawn comparisons to New York Jets tight end Dustin Keller.

Williams is a fast undersized tight end at 6-foot-2, 236 pounds with sound hands and the ability to separate from defenders.

Although undersized without ideal bulk, he's regarded as a willing, high-effort blocker.

He won the John Mackey award as the nation's top tight end, catching 54 passes for 627 yards and four touchdowns last season.

Williams chose Arkansas over Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Georgia Tech, catchign 61 passes for 723 yards and three touchdowns as a sophomore. As a junior, he caught 42 passes for 411 yards and three touchdowns.

Williams had an extremely rough childhood, overcoming a lot of adversity to get to this point.

His biological father abused Williams, his mother and his two sisters.

And Williams' father is now serving consecutive sentences of 25 years and 27 years in Texas for attempted murder, as well as other convictions.

drs23
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Source: D.J. Williams met with Steelers, Vikings, Buccaneers and Texans (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-DJ-Williams-met-with-Steelers-Vikings-Buccaneers-and-Texans.html)Aaron Wilson

February 28, 2011

Sounds like he's only got one strike again' him. :kitten: :D

The Pencil Neck
02-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I think this passing offense is noticeably better with a healthy Daniels than with Dreessen at his best. I like Dreessen and I think he's serviceable, but there's a serious drop-off from Daniels to Dreessen.

I'd like to think that Garrett Graham was drafted for just this situation and that he could step seamlessly into OD's shoes, but he didn't last year.

With all that said, OD has to realize that his injuries have caused him to miss his first big pay-day. He's not worth what he was worth a couple of years ago. He's got to be a bit more modest in his expectations. (But I don't want to lose him.)

TimeKiller
02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
They were good times.

Wish him well unless it's at the Texans expense. I'm sure the Texans won't mind drafting another TE too. Dreesen is a decent player but I'd like to see more of Casey and Graham, Hill too if he can get healthy.

Can't bet that kind of money on a guy with this sort of injury record.

El Tejano
03-01-2011, 08:08 AM
DJ Williams is a good player though. I would be a little ticked with the TE picks but DJ Williams is good.

ensign_lee
03-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Vet minimun is $2M ?!?! O.o

GP
03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
They were good times.

Wish him well unless it's at the Texans expense. I'm sure the Texans won't mind drafting another TE too. Dreesen is a decent player but I'd like to see more of Casey and Graham, Hill too if he can get healthy.

Can't bet that kind of money on a guy with this sort of injury record.

My thoughts, too. Rep your way if it lets me.

Dreesen is decent. Graham might become something. Hill will play his two or three obligatory games. But I don't foresee James Casey being a force at TE; I like his athleticism when he has the ball, but there's just something there that I can't put my finger on...something that's not clicking with that guy.

We'll snag another TE or two. There's Shockey out there, which will hijack this thread JUST by me mentioning his name. Bank on it.

All in all, I just don't see how we can "Kris Brown" Owen Daniels. Getting Kris Brown'd is when you are done in a place but the nostalgia is too strong, and the guy is brought back for one more try at it. Only this time, I think the money (not a phony competition) will be the trigger for his departure.

Had he not been injured, none of this gets discussed. But cheer up, there'll be TWO more reg season games for our favorite stars to get injured in. Yay.

gary
03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Might they tag him?

JB
03-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Might they tag him?

The deadline for placing tags has already passed

CretorFrigg
03-01-2011, 08:39 PM

February 28, 2011

I was excited when I saw the name. Then I realized they were talking about the tight end, not the linebacker. :kitten:

Norg
03-02-2011, 01:28 AM
DIdnt he drop like 3 balls in one game last season yeah nuff said

TheMatrix31
03-02-2011, 05:08 AM

Right on the money.

IDEXAN
03-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Casey is the only other TE on the roster who has hands that are comparable to ODs, so I have to think he's an inferior blocker or he would have gotten much more playing time than he has by now ?

CloakNNNdagger
03-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Casey is the only other TE on the roster who has hands that are comparable to ODs, so I have to think he's an inferior blocker or he would have gotten much more playing time than he has by now ?

Probably, OD's weakest aspect of play has been his blocking. Casey is still working on his pass routes.

GP
03-02-2011, 10:21 AM

I think you have it backwards.

I remember Casey being a beast blocker on several plays, but having problems with the route running and being in position to catch the passes thrown by Schaub.

Maybe I'm the one who has it mixed up, though. I dunno. I just don't think Casey is ripping it up like I expected him to.

IDEXAN
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I think you have it backwards.

I remember Casey being a beast blocker on several plays, but having problems with the route running and being in position to catch the passes thrown by Schaub.

Maybe I'm the one who has it mixed up, though. I dunno. I just don't think Casey is ripping it up like I expected him to.

CloakNNNDagger also said he's got problems with running his routes, so you guys may be right about that aspect of his game for all I know ? And maybe he's a better blocker than I realize ? But I'm sure Casey has outstanding hands, I'm confidant about that. I've seen him make a bunch of outstanding catchs, and he drops very few balls.

gary
03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
DIdnt he drop like 3 balls in one game last season yeah nuff saidHe never really was fully back last season.

Norg
03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
He never really was fully back last season.

yeah but this was like back to back play and one a few mins later i think it was the Raven game u cant have that IMO

b0ng
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
yeah but this was like back to back play and one a few mins later i think it was the Raven game u cant have that IMO

So you'd let Daniels walk because he dropped 3 balls in a game?

gary
03-02-2011, 07:11 PM
So you'd let Daniels walk because he dropped 3 balls in a game?This.

2slik4u
03-02-2011, 08:24 PM
CloakNNNDagger also said he's got problems with running his routes, so you guys may be right about that aspect of his game for all I know ? And maybe he's a better blocker than I realize ? But I'm sure Casey has outstanding hands, I'm confidant about that. I've seen him make a bunch of outstanding catchs, and he drops very few balls.

Not sure how much better Casey is than OD as far as catching balls goes but the dude has hands. I think he caught 111 passes in his final year at rice. Unless I'm mixing him up with someone else. Assuming I'm not, catching that many passes says something, no matter what the situation. His route running could use some work but the hands are there.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying Casey is better or OD sucks or we will be fine without OD. Just saying the dude can catch.

mussop
03-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Not sure how much better Casey is than OD as far as catching balls goes but the dude has hands. I think he caught 111 passes in his final year at rice. Unless I'm mixing him up with someone else. Assuming I'm not, catching that many passes says something, no matter what the situation. His route running could use some work but the hands are there.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying Casey is better or OD sucks or we will be fine without OD. Just saying the dude can catch.

Yeh but can he catch?:slapfight:

The Cush
03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Daniels, Foster, Jacoby, and Brisiel got tendered. Pollard and Diles did NOT

Strong safety Bernard Pollard and outside linebacker Zac Diles were among four Texans who were not tendered today, meaning they will become unrestricted free agents when a new collective bargaining agreement is signed.

Guard Kasey Studdard, a starter in 2009, and defensive end Tim Bulman, who spent last season on injured reserve, also were not tendered and will become unrestricted.

The Texans put a first-round tender on tight end Owen Daniels. Quarterback Matt Leinart received an original tender of a first-round pick because that's where Arizona selected him.

The Texans placed second-round tenders on receiver Jacoby Jones, defensive end Mark Anderson and guard Mike Brisiel.

Offensive tackle Rashad Butler received a third-round tender.

Running back Arian Foster, an exclusive rights player, also was tendered.

Under the current collective bargaining agreement between the owners and players, players can't become unrestricted free agents until they have played six years. When the new CBA is signed, unrestricted free agency is expected to return to four years. That means a player like Pollard would have become unrestricted, anyway.

When the new CBA is signed and free agency begins, players who were tendered can sign offer sheets with other teams. If the Texans don't match, they'll receive compensation in the form of a tender. For instance, if Brisiel signed with another team, the Texans could match or receive a second-round draft pick

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7454001.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+(chron.com+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Twitter

2slik4u
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeh but can he catch?:slapfight:

Dude, unless you hammer your point home on this board, you will get lambasted for stuff you didn't say. There's dudes out there that will comb thru threads just to argue and pick apart your post.

EllisUnit
03-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Dude, unless you hammer your point home on this board, you will get lambasted for stuff you didn't say. There's dudes out there that will comb thru threads just to argue and pick apart your post.

he's right :worldpeace:

Yankee_In_TX
03-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Per McClain, re-signed.

False Start
03-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Per McClain, re-signed.

Great news! :jam: :texflag:

Ryan
03-03-2011, 12:03 PM
This offense just isn't the same without a healthy OD, i'm glad he's coming back. :texflag:

gary
03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
This offense just isn't the same without a healthy OD, i'm glad he's coming back. :texflag:
Is he glad though? LOL

El Tejano
03-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Didn't want OD gone. Now Graham and Casey got to battle it out.

MistaRed
03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Texans and Owen Daniels agree to 4yr/22mil deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6178148

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
This makes me happy.

Now if he can just stay healthy.

Dutchrudder
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Texans and Owen Daniels agree to 4yr/22mil deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6178148

happy dance! :doot:

I'm surprised it took that little to get him, but awesome. Love OD when he's 100%. Hope he comes back in 2009 form.

spurstexanstros
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Open Daniels is signed...wohooo now I can finally buy his jersey. Beofe his prow bowl year you couldnt find it and after it I was hesitant to buy one because his contract was ending.

Battle red 81 for my bday...hint hint wifey.

2slik4u
03-03-2011, 07:52 PM
happy dance! :doot:

I'm surprised it took that little to get him, but awesome. Love OD when he's 100%. Hope he comes back in 2009 form.

Took that little? The dude has blown his knee out three times. Im surprised we paid that much.

infantrycak
03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Took that little? The dude has blown his knee out three times. Im surprised we paid that much.

Just FYI - the prior two injuries were on his other knee.

drs23
03-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Me too. Shoulda been a cut slut.

Norg, is that you? :kitten:

2slik4u
03-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Just FYI - the prior two injuries were on his other knee.

Well aware of that. Two from one knee, one from
The other makes three blown out knees.

2slik4u
03-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Norg?

drs23
03-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Norg?

In reference to another post. 1st one.

Sorry, link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1615282)

JB
03-03-2011, 09:11 PM

Really? Can't you read man? There ain't nothing wrong with his post, at least not spelling related.

mussop
03-03-2011, 11:09 PM

:thinking: mmmmmmmmmm so! :slapfight:

GP
03-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Owen Daniels re-signed.

Therrrrrre's that big free agency push we've been waiting for.

I'm not against it, and not for it either. It is what it is. The franchise obviously believes he's worth the risk, so it looks like he has a vote of confidence from multiple people (especially the one who writes the checks).

I hope he stays injury-free and just does his thang out there.

Maddict5
03-04-2011, 07:14 AM

showed at the end of last season that he was the same OD- still able to get open. great signing at that price. anyone who thinks the dreessen/casey/garrett combo is as effective isnt watching closely enough

2slik4u
03-04-2011, 07:36 AM
showed at the end of last season that he was the same OD- still able to get open. great signing at that price. anyone who thinks the dreessen/casey/garrett combo is as effective isnt watching closely enough

I like OD. I think were better with him on the field but I also like dreesen due to his blocking abilities. By no means am I mad that we signed him but at $5 mil (avg) a year, I think that's a little much for someone with so much damage to his knees.

And yes, he has shown he is still effective but let's be reasonable, can he handle another knee blowout? On either knee?

76Texan
03-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Kubiak likes to run a lot of 2-TE sets (compared with other teams).
You need depth at the position, because one of them might do down.
It's not like you can pick up a FA off the street that knows the ZBS the way the Texans run to be able to step right in.
Casey is also the back-up FB for Leach, and he's also used as an H-back.
The TEs and H-back are important in both the run game and passing game.
This is an important signing for the Texans and I am glad they got it done without breaking the bank. :cow:

GP
03-04-2011, 08:43 AM

There are some players out there, like OD and others, who seemingly just find ways to succeed. I think OD might be one of those "football-rich" guys who, despite maybe being limited by such things as injuries, is still somehow able to pull it off and get the job done.

He's smart, he knows where to go every time, and has great timing with Schaub. I wouldn't have re-signed him for the amount he is receiving, but I can also understand why the DID re-sign him for what they did. It's one of those moves where you can understand why they decided on keeping him as well as understanding why they wouldn't. Ultimately, it seems that many people in the franchise believe he brings something to the table despite the injury concerns.