PDA

View Full Version : Denver to pursue Atogwe, K.C. eyes Rogers

srrono
02-25-2011, 08:34 PM
NDIANAPOLIS -- Thursday night, we noted the Denver Broncos were considering pursuing former Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe.

Friday, a source close to the situation said the Broncos are definitely planning to pursue Atogwe. He is the first veteran the team has targeted in the John Fox era. The Broncos are interested in Atogwe because he creates a lot of turnovers.

Denver will be looking for several aggressive defensive players. The Broncos ranked last in the NFL in total defense and points allowed in 2010. They are expected to concentrate heavily on the defensive side of the ball in the draft and in free agency.

Atogwe can be signed now because he was cut by the Rams. Washington, Buffalo, Dallas and the Rams are reportedly interested in signing him.

Meanwhile, a source close to the situation said there hasnít been any moment between the Chiefs and free-agent defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. He has visited the Redskins, Saints and Chiefs. The Chiefs remain interested. Rogers, a massive run-stuffer, played for defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel when he was the coach in Cleveland.

The Atogwe and Rogers situations could be decided in the next week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post?id=37772

Lucky
02-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I guess these guys aren't good enough to play for the Texans. idonno:

Rey
02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm starting to wonder how they plan on upgrading the talent on defense and at the same time aquire guys that fit the 3-4 system.

ArlingtonTexan
02-25-2011, 10:17 PM
I just read in another thread that Wade has everything under control personnel wise.

Lucky
02-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm starting to wonder how they plan on upgrading the talent on defense and at the same time aquire guys that fit the 3-4 system.
Do the Texans need to upgrade or acquire guys to fit the 3-4 system?

(on Wade Phillips) He's come in, he's looked at our film, we've talked about it, and he just cut to the quick so fast. He saw exactly what our problems were, and he had ideas as to how they could be corrected that weren't necessarily requiring a lot of additional personnel. And I agree with him.
I forgot. The Texans don't need a lot of additional personnel.

JB
02-26-2011, 12:14 AM
I guess these guys aren't good enough to play for the Texans. idonno:

Do the Texans need to upgrade or acquire guys to fit the 3-4 system?

I forgot. The Texans don't need a lot of additional personnel.

I think the bolded is the key part there. If there is a FA period, and they can sign two or three key players, they will be in good shape (I'm wearing battle red sunglasses, at night) and they can add on or two in the draft.

Or, they can continue as they have in the past, and even TK may wear the soap. And I'm sure there will be a lot of bags.

Texan4Ever
02-26-2011, 11:14 AM
NDIANAPOLIS -- Thursday night, we noted the Denver Broncos were considering pursuing former Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe.

Friday, a source close to the situation said the Broncos are definitely planning to pursue Atogwe. He is the first veteran the team has targeted in the John Fox era. The Broncos are interested in Atogwe because he creates a lot of turnovers.

Denver will be looking for several aggressive defensive players. The Broncos ranked last in the NFL in total defense and points allowed in 2010. They are expected to concentrate heavily on the defensive side of the ball in the draft and in free agency.

Atogwe can be signed now because he was cut by the Rams. Washington, Buffalo, Dallas and the Rams are reportedly interested in signing him.

Meanwhile, a source close to the situation said there hasnít been any moment between the Chiefs and free-agent defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. He has visited the Redskins, Saints and Chiefs. The Chiefs remain interested. Rogers, a massive run-stuffer, played for defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel when he was the coach in Cleveland.

The Atogwe and Rogers situations could be decided in the next week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post?id=37772

I'm confused by the bolded part. Is that a typo or what?

Doppelganger
02-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm confused by the bolded part. Is that a typo or what?

No. I think he had a MASSIVE contract hit and the Rams cut him to save the hit. They hoped to resign him.

CloakNNNdagger
02-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I think the bolded is the key part there. If there is a FA period, and they can sign two or three key players, they will be in good shape (I'm wearing battle red sunglasses, at night) and they can add on or two in the draft.

Or, they can continue as they have in the past, and even TK may wear the soap. And I'm sure there will be a lot of bags.

I want to think that the Texans for once make a "splash" in FA...............emphasizing more the most likely to bring DRAMATIC upgrade to the D rather than the most likely to bring the greatest cost savings. I fear another FA or FAs who are relative "no names" or of known "limited talent," while being told that they are the best thing since buttered bread. It would be nice for once to go after the bread without the mold.

Hervoyel
02-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Meanwhile the Texans pursue some lump of manure who doesn't cost very much but who is miraculously "a perfect fit for what we want to do" and who Wade Phillips (or some coach on our roster) has been supposedly watching for years. Texans M.O. in these situations is to declare that a change must be made, fire somebody, and then go out and find a guy who's going to tell them that he can make it happen without making a lot of changes.

Then the person they hired comes in, fails to fix anything, and proceeds to start changing people anyway.

If the Texans don't bother to go out and make any kind of impact move in free agency at all this year you can pretty much call 2011 (assuming it happens) another wasted season. Wade has to run his system for a year with the stiffs on the roster first because that's how you do it here.

The Texans need a DB. Money spent on a quality DB is far from wasted. There is an epic free agent DB out there. The Texans will not pursue him because he costs too much money. Stupidest team in existence, possibly in the entire existence of the league.

steelbtexan
02-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Meanwhile the Texans pursue some lump of manure who doesn't cost very much but who is miraculously "a perfect fit for what we want to do" and who Wade Phillips (or some coach on our roster) has been supposedly watching for years. Texans M.O. in these situations is to declare that a change must be made, fire somebody, and then go out and find a guy who's going to tell them that he can make it happen without making a lot of changes.

Then the person they hired comes in, fails to fix anything, and proceeds to start changing people anyway.

If the Texans don't bother to go out and make any kind of impact move in free agency at all this year you can pretty much call 2011 (assuming it happens) another wasted season. Wade has to run his system for a year with the stiffs on the roster first because that's how you do it here.

The Texans need a DB. Money spent on a quality DB is far from wasted. There is an epic free agent DB out there. The Texans will not pursue him because he costs too much money. Stupidest team in existence, possibly in the entire existence of the league.

Cant rep you

But this seems to be the Texans organization I'm familiar with.

Doppelganger
02-27-2011, 10:39 PM

And what if they go out and try to sign him and he rejects their offer? Are you advocating giving him a blank check? I hope you aren't. Do you know what the cap will be going forward? If not, then you need to be careful. You could give him a $20 mill a year, but if that takes up too much space in your cap, you can kill the rest of your team. Smart teams like the pats and steelers identify key players and then build a good organization. Bad teams like the Redskins throw out big $ like its going out of style. We need to follow the Patriots/Steelers model not the Redskins model.

Besides, he will not sign here becuase he will want to play for a team contending for the SB and we are not that team.

RagingBull
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Besides, he will not sign here becuase he will want to play for a team contending for the SB and we are not that team.

I don't think any of the other 4 teams who are looking at him (Denver, Washington, Dallas, or St. Louis) are favorites for the superbowl either. The difference is that those teams are *TRYING* to get players to help push them in that direction while we will wait and get a safety after he is cut from some other team during training camp or some no name guy off the street and be told that he is THE ANSWER.

El Tejano
02-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't think any of the other 4 teams who are looking at him (Denver, Washington, Dallas, or St. Louis) are favorites for the superbowl either. The difference is that those teams are *TRYING* to get players to help push them in that direction while we will wait and get a safety after he is cut from some other team during training camp or some no name guy off the street and be told that he is THE ANSWER.

I agree with you. If not for the fact that they haven't brought anyone in before, the only thing I can think of as to why we haven't actively persued those guys is because when we've tried that approach before, we usually get crapped on because the player used us to set a benchmark for another team to pay.

I'm hoping that for once we are looking at the amount other teams are willing to pay and then we make our offer.