PDA

View Full Version : Wake up call needed

srrono
02-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Are the Texans aware the offseason has started? Even my great grandmother knows the Texans need significant personal moves on the defensive side of the ball due to change of scheme and frankly because the defense was just bad last year.

One position of need is safety and two big name safeties are now on the market. Another position needing a upgrade is NT there is a big name NT on the market as well. I am not saying we have to sign OJ Atogwe, Bob sanders, or Shaun Rogers but the Texans should be bringing these players in for a look and a conversation. If one of the three would fit here then that is one less position needed in the draft.

Sanders to visit Jaguars today.
Atogwe will meet with the Washington Redskins.
Rogers has met with Washington,Kansas City, and New Orleans.

The Texans are yet to have a visit from any player.

link (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/116600828.html)

OzzO
02-21-2011, 12:31 PM
14 hour grueling days TYVM.

....After spending 14-hour days preparing for free agency, which won't start until the owners and players sign a new collective bargaining agreement, Texans general manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak have turned their attention to the draft and will lead a large contingent of personnel people and coaches to Indianapolis for the scouting combine that begins Thursday....

Y'all can check out the rest of Johnny Mac's 2.21.11 article (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7438717.html)if you want, he provides the eye opening observation we're going defense this year.

srrono
02-21-2011, 12:40 PM
14 hour grueling days TYVM.

Y'all can check out the rest of Johnny Mac's 2.21.11 article (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7438717.html)if you want, he provides the eye opening observation we're going defense this year.

Nothing new or intresting in that article all the same rehashed stuff

gary
02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Maybe the looming lockout is hindering our efforts to sign free agents right now.

srrono
02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Maybe the looming lockout is hindering our efforts to sign free agents right now.

Thats not the point the Texans are not even looking at these upgrades on the market. Sanders is a reach with his injury risk but Atogwe is a instant up grade for most of the teams in the NFL not to mention the Texans. Rogers may be a stop gap but he would be a extremely large stop gap Height: 6-4 Weight: 350.

gary
02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Thats not the point the Texans are not even looking at these upgrades on the market. Sanders is a reach with his injury risk but Atogwe is a instant up grade for most of the teams in the NFL not to mention the Texans. Rogers may be a stop gap but he would be a extremely large stop gap Height: 6-4 Weight: 350.
I don't know why/if the Texans are not at least looking at these free agents.

Joe Texan
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Allright Couch Coaches WAKE UP Its Time for you to prove you know better than the front office and how you should be handed the golden whistle. If you think they are sleeping then I will need whatever your taking cause I am on a track to reach new highs.:kubepalm::wadepalm:

Marcus
02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Couch coaches? LOL!

They don't even deserve to be called even that.

Kudos though.

powda
02-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Allright Couch Coaches WAKE UP Its Time for you to prove you know better than the front office and how you should be handed the golden whistle. If you think they are sleeping then I will need whatever your taking cause I am on a track to reach new highs.:kubepalm::wadepalm:

While i appreciate your optimism...i think its time to start wondering if the couch coaches are right. Lets look at the results:

Capers every offseason =
Draft picks and free agents which sucked and at the time i said they sucked.

Kubiak every offseason =
Draft picks and free agents which sucked and at the time i said they sucked.

Net result = best season 9-7 and a whole lotta heart break.

now i might have a hard time convincing you that all the people i wouldve picked were the right people. what i shouldnt have a problem doing is convincing you the people the coaches picked were wrong. The results speak for themself.

Marcus
02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeeeup . . . Internet couch coaches are better than real NFL coaches.

Hasn't it always been that way? :rolleyes:

:faildetector:

Double Barrel
02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
You don't have to be a veterinarian to recognize a dog turd.

But, keep waving them pom poms. It's cute.

powda
02-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Seriously? Are you going to try and convince everyone here that our secondary is just fine? We dont need to improve our talent? And you've agreed with all the bone headed decisions this coaching staff has made?

I'm not going to sit here and tell you i'm a coach or that i could do their job...but...i can look at some of these players and tell you they arent going to get the job done. The last guy that tried to argue jackson, quin, wilson, and pollard were compotent enough just took a linebacking job in tennessee.

if im critical of a decision it does not mean i think im ready for a general manager position so pocket that.

as a fan i retain the right to be critical and not belive in fairy tales like vic fangio's defense - richard smith's defense or frank bush's defense. Marcus i dont want to be the kid that tells you theres no such thing as Santa but...

ArlingtonTexan
02-21-2011, 03:13 PM

Think OZZO had some :sarcasm: going with his post

steelbtexan
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Are the Texans aware the offseason has started? Even my great grandmother knows the Texans need significant personal moves on the defensive side of the ball due to change of scheme and frankly because the defense was just bad last year.

One position of need is safety and two big name safeties are now on the market. Another position needing a upgrade is NT there is a big name NT on the market as well. I am not saying we have to sign OJ Atogwe, Bob sanders, or Shaun Rogers but the Texans should be bringing these players in for a look and a conversation. If one of the three would fit here then that is one less position needed in the draft.

You're suprised?

What in the last 5 yrs has happened that would make you think that a BoB McNair owned franchise would go after UFA's like these guys.

They wait until the season starts and pick up street FA's like Pollard and Anderson. Sometimes it works out most of the time it doesn't.

steelbtexan
02-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Couch coaches? LOL!

They don't even deserve to be called even that.

Kudos though.

JT,Marcus, I'm not a coach or a GM. But I've made the playoffs as many times as BoB,Gary and Rick have and they've all had 5 or more yrs of chances than I have.

LOL

Losers

nero THE zero
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM

I disagree. I find it interesting that the Quin to safety theory has made it main stream.

srrono
02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
I disagree. I find it interesting that the Quin to safety theory has made it main stream.

Quin to safety is old news

nero THE zero
02-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Quin to safety is old news

Has McClain mentioned it before? I don't make a habit or reading him, but this is the first I've seen him or any other journalist mention it, much less in an article.

BetaV1
02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Maybe the Texans are waiting to give Eric Weddle his big pay day? :runaway:

Brandon420tx
02-21-2011, 05:46 PM
OJ Otogwe has only met with one team so far. Washington. Which makes sense since that is the "overpay" capitol of the football world. An offer from them drives up the offers of all other teams.

He's headed to Buffalo next.

I would love to overpay Weddle to come here

NBT
02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Wake up Bob McNair, it's time for a new paradyme (sp)..... go out and get the best FAs that are now on the market, not the also rans, and the not so goods after the draft, and during the season. Note to Rick Smith, ramp it up buddy,make sure you have your draft down pat before, during, and after the draft so that the players picked in the 3rd through the 7th are the stuff to make the team and build to Pro Bowlers. That is the way to the Super Bowl.

Joe Texan
02-21-2011, 07:07 PM
This is the NFL and we have a top five offense, right we had a terrible defense but Bob and Gary did not sit around and cry about spilled milk like you couch coaches do, They went and got Wade and with all the knowledge that wade bribgs I feel we will see a drastic difference this year, if we have a year, which is part of the reason we are in the wait and see situation we are in.

EllisUnit
02-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Has McClain mentioned it before? I don't make a habit or reading him, but this is the first I've seen him or any other journalist mention it, much less in an article.

i have seen people/articles mention it. Id rather move Jackson to Safety as i think Quinn is a better cover CB than Jackson. But that is still not a good move IMO. I say Pollard and Nolan back deep. With J. Allen, a FA then Quinn at CB.

Dishman
02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
This is the NFL and we have a top five offense, right we had a terrible defense but Bob and Gary did not sit around and cry about spilled milk like you couch coaches do, They went and got Wade and with all the knowledge that wade bribgs I feel we will see a drastic difference this year, if we have a year, which is part of the reason we are in the wait and see situation we are in.

LOL!

Gary Kubiak doesn't sit around and cry about spilled milk. He just looks the other way (queue GIF of him turning away from FG) while it runs under the refrigerator to spoil.

Why such blind faith?

Ckw
02-21-2011, 07:49 PM
LOL!

Gary Kubiak doesn't sit around and cry about spilled milk. He just looks the other way (queue GIF of him turning away from FG) while it runs under the refrigerator to spoil.

Why such blind faith?

Why? Why you say! Because he's Joe Texan and cheerleading is what he do.

:wadepalm::kubepalm:

Thorn
02-21-2011, 07:49 PM

Every offseason and after every draft I was always exicited about the upcoming season. I'm kind of worn down now. Yeah, yeah, love the Texans and hope for the best and all that kind of stuff still applies. But seriously folks, after what we've been through with this team, I'm just gonna sit back and watch and see what happens. Maybe they'll finally make the playoffs, maybe they won't, but continually being taken in each offseason just isn't in the works for me anymore. Most especially this upcoming one in which we just might not even have a season.

EllisUnit
02-21-2011, 07:52 PM
LOL!

Why such blind faith?

Dont start with blind faith, me and "Someone" on here got into that one day. Isnt like 95% of the world living by blind faith standards ?!?!?!? So why not some of us on here ? :snowday:

rmartin65
02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Why? Why you say! Because he's Joe Texan and cheerleading is what he do.

:wadepalm::kubepalm:

Careful, you might get "called out".

Texan_Bill
02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Has anyone mentioned that FA's can't even be signed until like March 4th or 5th? Which subsequently, is a day or so after the CBA needs to be in place.. (or something like that).........Not really the dumbest thread ever, but certainly in contention.

Why in the hell would you waste time talking to players, when you're not even sure there is gonna be a season AND even if there is, you can't sign them - anyway???

FML!!!

:facepalm: :smiliepalm: :wadepalm::kubepalm: :vincepalm:

srrono
02-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Has anyone mentioned that FA's can't even be signed until like March 4th or 5th? Which subsequently, is a day or so after the CBA needs to be in place.. (or something like that).........Not really the dumbest thread ever, but certainly in contention.

Why in the hell would you waste time talking to players, when you're not even sure there is gonna be a season AND even if there is, you can't sign them - anyway???

FML!!!

:facepalm: :smiliepalm: :wadepalm::kubepalm: :vincepalm:

No I think your post is the dumb one.Any player that is released prior to the 2010 league year close, March 3rd, immediately becomes a free agent (if they are not waiver eligible. Shaun Rogers, Bob Sanders,and O J Atowge joined Erik Coleman in that category in the last few days. The Lions went out and signed Erik Coleman to a reported one year deal. In the thread I mention key players that have been cut and are "legal" to sign today. Do you think the Detoit Lions are special where they are the only NFL team allowed to sign players?

http://www.bunky.us/SD102-Kiss-my-ass.jpg

Texan_Bill
02-21-2011, 10:48 PM
No I think your post is the dumb one.Any player that is released prior to the 2010 league year close, March 3rd, immediately becomes a free agent (if they are not waiver eligible. Shaun Rogers, Bob Sanders,and O J Atowge joined Erik Coleman in that category in the last few days. The Lions went out and signed Erik Coleman to a reported one year deal. In the thread I mention key players that have been cut and are "legal" to sign today. Do you think the Detoit Lions are special where they are the only NFL team allowed to sign players?

http://www.bunky.us/SD102-Kiss-my-ass.jpg

LMFAO!!! Okay :ok:

:loser

steelbtexan
02-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Dont see it

Hope you're right.

Texan_Bill
02-21-2011, 11:00 PM
LOL!

Why such blind faith?

Yeah!!! Eff it!!!

Maybe I should change my allegiance to......... :thinking:.... :hmmm: the Packers? The Steelers (oh hell No, I'm grew up an Oilers fan - so that's not gonna happen), the Patriots maybe the Jets???

What about the blind faith? I don't have blind faith, but what I do have is support for my local team... I couldn't care less about other teams. I care about where I live.

Eff the rest!!!

steelbtexan
02-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah!!! Eff it!!!

Maybe I should change my allegiance to......... :thinking:.... :hmmm: the Packers? The Steelers (oh hell No, I'm grew up an Oilers fan - so that's not gonna happen), the Patriots maybe the Jets???

What about the blind faith? I don't have blind faith, but what I do have is support for my local team... I couldn't care less about other teams. I care about where I live.

Eff the rest!!!

Me too

You seem really disappointed about last yr.

How would you feel about 8-8 next yr. (My thoughts.) Will it be enough to keep Gary around for a 7th year?

JB
02-21-2011, 11:07 PM
What everyone seems to be overlooking is that while there are visits going on by the very few FA's out there, none are being signed. The only free agent to sign so far is Seymour, and 31 owners were furious with Al Davis for that.

There will not be any signings prior to a CBA being worked out, imo.

Texan_Bill
02-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Me too

You seem really disappointed about last yr.

How would you feel about 8-8 next yr. (My thoughts.) Will it be enough to keep Gary around for a 7th year?

With our entire professional history? I'd be stoked with 8-8.... ;)

I kid, I kid!!!

NOPE.... As a Kubiak supporter, no!!! Hell NO!!! If that were the case, or anything less than 10-6, more preferably 11-5 or better, is unacceptable. I would be willing to cut ties with Kubiak for anything less....

steelbtexan
02-21-2011, 11:23 PM
With our entire professional history? I'd be stoked with 8-8.... ;)

I kid, I kid!!!

NOPE.... As a Kubiak supporter, no!!! Hell NO!!! If that were the case, or anything less than 10-6, more preferably 11-5 or better, is unacceptable. I would be willing to cut ties with Kubiak for anything less....

10-6/11-5 Playoffs here we come.

It could happen,I'm not holding my breath.

Texan_Bill
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
10-6/11-5 Playoffs here we come.

It could happen,I'm not holding my breath.

Right!! Same here!!

That said, I will be in Blue Crew, tailgating for every homegame.... Ima dumbass that way!! :gun:

aussie_texan
02-21-2011, 11:36 PM
eff the rest!!!

damn straight

go texans

Texan_Bill
02-21-2011, 11:40 PM
damn straight

go texans

Repped!!! Although, I didn't see any "count" on your rep...

aussie_texan
02-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Repped!!! Although, I didn't see any "count" on your rep...

ahaha thanks man! yeah its says i got 19197 points on my user control panel but it doesnt appear anywhere else. is that how it works or....

Texan_Bill
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
ahaha thanks man! yeah its says i got 19197 points on my user control panel but it doesnt appear anywhere else. is that how it works or....

RIGHT!!! What the heck is that all about, anyway??

Show Aussie some respect!! ;)

aussie_texan
02-22-2011, 12:16 AM
u got that right lol

dalemurphy
02-22-2011, 01:33 AM

Atogwe has accumulated a lot of injuries the past two seasons and is nearing 30 years old, looking for a big pay day.

Bob Sanders has no cartlidge in one of his knees.

Shaun Rogers is 32, a chronic underachiever with an inconsistent motor, who is looking for a big pay day.

Why on earth would the Texans even consider these guys when the market is about to be flooded with defensive free agents entering or in their prime (either on March 4th or when the collective bargaining agreement is reached)?

With all the problems the Texans have had as an organization, do you really want them to start doing business like Dan Snyder? I don't see how that will help the situation.

BetaV1
02-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Atogwe has accumulated a lot of injuries the past two seasons and is nearing 30 years old, looking for a big pay day.

Bob Sanders has no cartlidge in one of his knees.

Shaun Rogers is 32, a chronic underachiever with an inconsistent motor, who is looking for a big pay day.

Why on earth would the Texans even consider these guys when the market is about to be flooded with defensive free agents entering or in their prime (either on March 4th or when the collective bargaining agreement is reached)?

With all the problems the Texans have had as an organization, do you really want them to start doing business like Dan Snyder? I don't see how that will help the situation.

Repped.

steelbtexan
02-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Right!! Same here!!

That said, I will be in Blue Crew, tailgating for every homegame.... Ima dumbass that way!! :gun:

I'll be doing the same with our crew over in the yellow lot.

My wife asks me why I waste $$$$ and time on the Texans. My answer is there's nothing better than hanging out with friends and watching/talking about football.

That and I've hung in there this long and sooner or later they gotta get better right? LOL

steelbtexan
02-22-2011, 05:38 AM
I'l take a Sanders with no cartilidge in his knees for half a season over what the Texans had playing S last yr.

dalemurphy
02-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I'l take a Sanders with no cartilidge in his knees for half a season over what the Texans had playing S last yr.

Sanders wasn't able to play for half a season last year. He played in one game and didn't register a tackle. As a matter of a fact, he has played in 3 games over the past two seasons and only 9 games over the past three seasons... He's done. So, though it is a tough call, I actually would rather have what the Texans had last year over what the Texans had last year minus whomever Sanders would replace before he headed immediately to the IR.

but, my point is not whether Bob Sanders is an upgrade over Dominique Barber. The point is that there are going to be a lot of better options in free agency once it starts. Believe me, I'll be the first to complain if we don't take a run at anyone. But, I'm not going to criticize the organization for not throwing money at a guy that is physically unable to play football anymore. That's just stupid.

steelbtexan
02-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Sanders wasn't able to play for half a season last year. He played in one game and didn't register a tackle. As a matter of a fact, he has played in 3 games over the past two seasons and only 9 games over the past three seasons... He's done. So, though it is a tough call, I actually would rather have what the Texans had last year over what the Texans had last year minus whomever Sanders would replace before he headed immediately to the IR.

but, my point is not whether Bob Sanders is an upgrade over Dominique Barber. The point is that there are going to be a lot of better options in free agency once it starts. Believe me, I'll be the first to complain if we don't take a run at anyone. But, I'm not going to criticize the organization for not throwing money at a guy that is physically unable to play football anymore. That's just stupid.

I'm willing to let the offseason play out before I criticize them.

But history says it's not promising.

BigBull17
02-22-2011, 09:08 AM

Sanders can't stay healthy. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. The difference between our ****ty players and Sanders is they can actually stay healthy.

Porky
02-22-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm too the point where I don't much care anymore. I check out TT maybe once or twice a week, but it's all pointless to me at this point. The last straw was Mcnoob bringing back the same tired old braintrust that is a proven failure. Mcnoob is rearranging the deck chairs and asking the fiddler to play to keep the people from panicking after we have already hit the iceburg.

Untill the head of this monster is cut off, it doesn't matter what the individual arms and legs do. Mcnair is the head, and he is the part that is broken. Until the head is replaced, the arms and legs will continue to flail about and all we will be doing is spinning our wheels. He is one of the 5 worst owners in the league. If we can't at least admit that is where the problem lies, then it's all just for show. It's totally and completely pointless.

Is there a light at the end of this tunnel? I don't see one.

infantrycak
02-22-2011, 09:59 AM
What's totally and completely pointless is calling for an ownership change as a solution to the Texans' ills. There hasn't been even a whiff of a rumor about McNair selling the team. To the contrary if anything it appears he wants the team to ultimately go to his son. So dig in for a few decades.

Porky
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
What's totally and completely pointless is calling for an ownership change as a solution to the Texans' ills. There hasn't been even a whiff of a rumor about McNair selling the team. To the contrary if anything it appears he wants the team to ultimately go to his son. So dig in for a few decades.

I'm not calling for anything, only pointing out what I see as the obvious problem. Hence why I said at the end - Is there a light at the end of this tunnel? I don't see one.

This is Detroit south because of this ownership group. All this FA and draft talk is only nibbling around the edges. It's not going to change a damn thing in the long run. Is it possible we'll get lucky for a year? Sure. But if people think we are heading toward a NE or Pittsburg like product, it's isn't happening. That is depressing and the reason for my apathy.

dalemurphy
02-22-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm not calling for anything, only pointing out what I see as the obvious problem. Hence why I said at the end - Is there a light at the end of this tunnel? I don't see one.

This is Detroit south because of this ownership group. All this FA and draft talk is only nibbling around the edges. It's not going to change a damn thing in the long run. Is it possible we'll get lucky for a year? Sure. But if people think we are heading toward a NE or Pittsburg like product, it's isn't happening. That is depressing and the reason for my apathy.

How do you think Steeler fans felt about their prospects in the late 1960s... Or, do you think most Patriots fans were anticipating the turnaround they saw after Parcells left, Carroll was fired, and that loser from Cleveland (Belicheck) was hired to replace them. Oh, and I bet they weren't exactly doing cartwheels when Bledsoe went down with an injury with a 1-3 record and all they had as a backup was a second year, 6th round pick out of Michigan who couldn't even beat out a freshman in his senior year at Michigan for the starting position.

I'm certainly frustrated with the past season and disappointed we haven't had more success the last 5 years or so. However, I don't see the top of the organization behaving in a way that guarantees failure moving forward. Organizations like Washington, Cincinnati, Oakland are doomed. I don't see that with Houston. I can't predict success but I don't see the reason to be gloomy moving forward. Also, I think a lot of folks are going to be pleasantly surprised with how active the team is in free agency this season (whenever it happens).

Marcus
02-22-2011, 10:26 AM

What's really the difference between calling for "ownership change", or complaining about "Denny's menus", or railing on about silly things like "it's on me" or "we didn't execute"?

The point is . . . when the team is losing, the "fans" act like they have a right to dispense with common sense and logic, and try to outdo each other in the "act and behave like a f'ckin moron" department.

nero THE zero
02-22-2011, 10:27 AM
i have seen people/articles mention it. Id rather move Jackson to Safety as i think Quinn is a better cover CB than Jackson. But that is still not a good move IMO. I say Pollard and Nolan back deep. With J. Allen, a FA then Quinn at CB.

Who? And where?

I'm talking about established journalists from a respectable news source, hence main stream, not some blogger proposing it.

houstonspartan
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
How do you think Steeler fans felt about their prospects in the late 1960s... Or, do you think most Patriots fans were anticipating the turnaround they saw after Parcells left, Carroll was fired, and that loser from Cleveland (Belicheck) was hired to replace them. Oh, and I bet they weren't exactly doing cartwheels when Bledsoe went down with an injury with a 1-3 record and all they had as a backup was a second year, 6th round pick out of Michigan who couldn't even beat out a freshman in his senior year at Michigan for the starting position.

I'm certainly frustrated with the past season and disappointed we haven't had more success the last 5 years or so. However, I don't see the top of the organization behaving in a way that guarantees failure moving forward. Organizations like Washington, Cincinnati, Oakland are doomed. I don't see that with Houston. I can't predict success but I don't see the reason to be gloomy moving forward. Also, I think a lot of folks are going to be pleasantly surprised with how active the team is in free agency this season (whenever it happens).

Yawn. You pretty much said the same thing last year.

I'm just laughing at the term "couch coach".

LOL!

Porky
02-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

steelbtexan
02-22-2011, 10:57 AM
What's really the difference between calling for "ownership change", or complaining about "Denny's menus", or railing on about silly things like "it's on me" or "we didn't execute"?

The point is . . . when the team is losing, the "fans" act like they have a right to dispense with common sense and logic, and try to outdo each other in the "act and behave like a f'ckin moron" department.

Please enlighten the fans on your idea of proper decorum regarding the Texans.

You would be griping too if you were financially invested in the Texans/McNair and he sat there and twiddled his thumbs while the team crumbled.

This is a waste of time responding to fans like you. But it is very representative of the way BoB thinks. Elitism at its finest.

BoB knows best LOL, 9 yrs 0 playoff appearances says it all.

Blake
02-22-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote of the day. Franchise has never been to the playoffs but dont dare try and second guess them. They are NFL coaches after all!

dalemurphy
02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

what are you talking about?

I'm not suggesting, like I was last year, that I have a ton of confidence that the team will win 10+ games next season. I'm simply disputing the idea that the Texans are destined to fail indefinitely with Bob McNair as an owner.

Also, in regards to free agency this season, It appears the organization is looking at it more aggressively. This is based on Bob McNair and Rick Smith speaking differently about it and also based on some information I received from a guy with a good source that says McNair is adamant about making some waves in free agency, particularly on defense.

gary
02-22-2011, 11:29 AM
So, are current free agents allowed to sign with a team right now?

TexCanada
02-22-2011, 11:35 AM
So, are current free agents allowed to sign with a team right now?

Yes, but anybody who had a contract with an NFL team last year is not yet a current free agent.

Double Barrel
02-22-2011, 11:39 AM

Yikes. Where to even begin...

First, comparing the Texans to any team pre-Super Bowl era is simply silly. So much has changed about managing teams that it's not even a valid comparison. Free agency, collective bargaining, revenue sharing, salary caps, etc., have fundamentally changed how teams are managed.

And I'm not sure if your mention of the Steelers is a good example, all of the obvious changes in pro football mentioned above aside. Are you suggesting that we should expect one playoff appearance in 39 years? Teams reverse fortunes very quickly in the modern NFL. Think years instead of decades.

In addition, Chuck Noll was the 14th head coach of the Steelers when hired. Think about that for a moment.

As far as the Patriots, this is really kinda' goofy. The Pats had been to TWO Super Bowls before hiring Belichick. How does this even remotely compare to the perpetually mediocre Texans franchise?? (Something else about the Patriots: they did not have consistent success until they had a new owner with Robert Kraft in 1994. Hmmmmm......)

If you need a team for comparison, look at the Lions or the first twenty years of the Saints. And continue to dig a little deeper and look at the desperation of the fans of those teams for a clue into the growing apathy in Texans nation.

gary
02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes, but anybody who had a contract with an NFL team last year is not yet a current free agent.That would include Rogers, and Sanders then?

TexCanada
02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
That would include Rogers, and Sanders then?

Ya, those two could be signed right now.

infantrycak
02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
That would include Rogers, and Sanders then?

If they have already been released from their team (Rogers or Sanders or Atogwe) then they can be signed right now. If they have an expiring contract it appears the lockout will happen one day before the contracts expire and then there is no team/player contact so there will be no (legal) activity with those players.

gary
02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
If they have already been released from their team (Rogers or Sanders or Atogwe) then they can be signed right now. If they have an expiring contract it appears the lockout will happen one day before the contracts expire and then there is no team/player contact so there will be no (legal) activity with those players.
I see there is a slight difference between being cut and letting a contract exspire. Got it, thanks.

maddogmrb
02-22-2011, 12:39 PM

They're not TE's!

maddogmrb
02-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Actually, I'm really surprised they're not making a strong attempt at Sanders. He fits the team's FA strategy perfectly: an often injured veteran who will probably never contribute.

gary
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
These are not the type of players you spend top dollar for with Rogers having a bad attitude and Sanders probably on his way out of the NFL.

dalemurphy
02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Yikes. Where to even begin...

First, comparing the Texans to any team pre-Super Bowl era is simply silly. So much has changed about managing teams that it's not even a valid comparison. Free agency, collective bargaining, revenue sharing, salary caps, etc., have fundamentally changed how teams are managed.

And I'm not sure if your mention of the Steelers is a good example, all of the obvious changes in pro football mentioned above aside. Are you suggesting that we should expect one playoff appearance in 39 years? Teams reverse fortunes very quickly in the modern NFL. Think years instead of decades.

In addition, Chuck Noll was the 14th head coach of the Steelers when hired. Think about that for a moment.

As far as the Patriots, this is really kinda' goofy. The Pats had been to TWO Super Bowls before hiring Belichick. How does this even remotely compare to the perpetually mediocre Texans franchise?? (Something else about the Patriots: they did not have consistent success until they had a new owner with Robert Kraft in 1994. Hmmmmm......)

If you need a team for comparison, look at the Lions or the first twenty years of the Saints. And continue to dig a little deeper and look at the desperation of the fans of those teams for a clue into the growing apathy in Texans nation.

I'm not comparing the Texans with those teams. My point is that a few disappointing seasons does not mean the Texans organization will never become like the Steelers and Patriots, as Lucky was asserting. My point is that those fan bases probably felt pretty pessimistic before their success as well. I'm not predicting similar success but I'm arguing that it is conceivable. Further, I do not believe the Texans organization is run anywhere nearly as poorly as Washington, Detroit, Oakland despite the fact that their 9 year run hasn't been much more successful than those teams.

By the way, 9 years of bad to mediocre football as an expansion team hardly makes the Texans equivalent to the Detroit Lions.

steelbtexan
02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not comparing the Texans with those teams. My point is that a few disappointing seasons does not mean the Texans organization will never become like the Steelers and Patriots, as Lucky was asserting. My point is that those fan bases probably felt pretty pessimistic before their success as well. I'm not predicting similar success but I'm arguing that it is conceivable. Further, I do not believe the Texans organization is run anywhere nearly as poorly as Washington, Detroit, Oakland despite the fact that their 9 year run hasn't been much more successful than those teams.

By the way, 9 years of bad to mediocre football as an expansion team hardly makes the Texans equivalent to the Detroit Lions.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I remember all of the back and forth arguing last offseason. When the soapers predicted the Texans would fall on their face. After McNair foolishly extended Kubiak. It's actions like this that makes the majority of the fan base question whether BoB has the will to bring a winner to this city. After all there is no financial incentive for him to do so.

Second Honeymoon
02-22-2011, 02:12 PM

the same couch coaches that have proven your blind faith wrong time and time again.

sorry if we take your homering garbage with a grain of salt

as for why they aren't making any moves in Free Agency, we all know why. it's not part of 'the plan'. the same plan that has given us crap for going on a decade....but whatever Joe Texan. just remember to keep your pompoms moving and to keep the cheers going. maybe you will get voted 'superfan' again....hahah superfan my ass.

but go ahead and keep fighting the good fight. at least marcus is on your side. the next time that guy has a legitimate take on the Texans will be the first time. Marcus, you give Dark Side Of The Moon a bad name.

we should be on the phone with Nmandi and Rogers and this bullcrap about 14 hour days working on free agency.....hahah that is just precious. its hilarious that some of you are so naive you actually believe they looked anywhere but the annual dumpster dive for 'bargains'....while other teams (with much more of a history of making competent moves) are going after players that can actually make a difference.

its not so much what the Texans are going to do to fix things but more what the Texans are going to do to further screw the pooch. But at least after Gary fails again, and again, we will have good ole Wade Phillips to lead us. The same Wade Phillips that most of you homers made fun of when he was on our 'rival' the Cowboys but now that he is on the Texans he is the cat's freaking meow.

i have been to many cities and i have to say that we have some loyal fans but also by the same token some of the most oblivious and most naive fans in the league.

Cowher in 2012. Fire McNair, the Braindead Billionaire.

gary
02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Some here want a free agent if they are not that good anymore or overpayed. You'd take another A. Green or Colvin give me a break.

playa465
02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
I really think the uneasiness of the CBA negotiations is the culprit...teams will not be apt on signing FAs until the know the particulars (like salary cap) etc...Crazy Al locked up Seymour which was good, but he jeopardized signing Nnamdi Asomugha, Robert Gallery, Michael Bush and Michael Huff. I suspect most teams will take the wait and see approach...other than franchising and releasing players, I dont think their will be much movement.

gary
02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Wait and see for Asomugha, Bailey or Grimes are free agents whenever that will be.

dalemurphy
02-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Wait and see for Asomugha, Bailey or Grimes are free agents whenever that will be.

and Richard Marshall, Cromartie, Eric Wright, Brandon Carr, Ike Taylor... among others.

or, at Safety, guys like... Quentin Mikell, Roman Harper, Eric Weddle, Goldsdon, Atari Bigby, Daniel Manning.

or DE/DTs like Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Ray Edwards, Marcus Spears, Alan Branch, Aubrayo Franklin, B. Mebane, Ngata (probably not)

or OLBs like Kiwanuks, Bryan Robison, V.Abiamiri, C. Gocong, Hali (probably franchised)

or ILBs like Chad Greenway, David Harris, S.Tullock, Dqwell jackson, Kirk Morrison, Kevin Burnett, and others.

tons of talent on defense will be available!

gary
02-22-2011, 03:36 PM
and Richard Marshall, Cromartie, Eric Wright, Brandon Carr, Ike Taylor... among others.

or, at Safety, guys like... Quentin Mikell, Roman Harper, Eric Weddle, Goldsdon, Atari Bigby, Daniel Manning.

or DE/DTs like Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Ray Edwards, Marcus Spears, Alan Branch, Aubrayo Franklin, B. Mebane, Ngata (probably not)

or OLBs like Kiwanuks, Bryan Robison, V.Abiamiri, C. Gocong, Hali (probably franchised)

or ILBs like Chad Greenway, David Harris, S.Tullock, Dqwell jackson, Kirk Morrison, Kevin Burnett, and others.

tons of talent on defense will be available!
The Texans just have to be active and go after these guys.

Double Barrel
02-22-2011, 04:09 PM

I didn't say they were equivalent. I just advised that if you must make comparisons, the Lions are closer to the Texans than the teams you used for examples.

I certainly hope that McNair isn't as incompetent as the Lions owner, but up to this point, he's proven very little in that regard.

And at what point do you give up the "expansion" tag? You do realize that we're almost a decade into this thing now, right?

steelbtexan
02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
A decade think about all of the changes that have happened this decade.

Then think about watching Texans football this decade.

That should cheer everybody up. LOL

Second Honeymoon
02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
i will give Dale a lot of credit and i am not being sarcastic. at least he is realistic about things and has come around to at least criticizing what has been going on around here. that is more than i can say for SOME yayhoos around here who just can't back away from Bob McNair's jock long enough to take a breath.

dalemurphy
02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
i will give Dale a lot of credit and i am not being sarcastic. at least he is realistic about things and has come around to at least criticizing what has been going on around here. that is more than i can say for SOME yayhoos around here who just can't back away from Bob McNair's jock long enough to take a breath.

SH, amazing what a 6-10 season does to the psyche when I'm anticipating a magical season rewarding all us fans for years of patience and optimism.

Actually, even at 4-2 last season, I was very alarmed. I gave up the season, essentially, in the first quarter of the game at INDY.

The reason for the new found pessimism was the poor play. There was so much offensive improvement in 2008 and some improvement by certain individuals on defense that I saw reason for excitement. Then, in 2009, the team often looked like one of the three or four best teams in the AFC. I didn't think the occasional hiccup (Chris Brown) meant the team was destined to fail.

Last year, though, the team played like crap. And, if my argument was that patience was required so Smith and Kubiak can put the team they wanted together, well... that was year five and the division stunk but we were worse.

Still, though, you guys are going to have to suffer through some preseason excitement on my part (assuming there is a preseason). I'm actually expecting the organization to be more active in free agency than it has been since Casserly was throwing $25 million at people like Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Zack Weigart, etc...

steelbtexan
02-22-2011, 06:58 PM
SH, amazing what a 6-10 season does to the psyche when I'm anticipating a magical season rewarding all us fans for years of patience and optimism.

Actually, even at 4-2 last season, I was very alarmed. I gave up the season, essentially, in the first quarter of the game at INDY.

The reason for the new found pessimism was the poor play. There was so much offensive improvement in 2008 and some improvement by certain individuals on defense that I saw reason for excitement. Then, in 2009, the team often looked like one of the three or four best teams in the AFC. I didn't think the occasional hiccup (Chris Brown) meant the team was destined to fail.

Last year, though, the team played like crap. And, if my argument was that patience was required so Smith and Kubiak can put the team they wanted together, well... that was year five and the division stunk but we were worse.

Still, though, you guys are going to have to suffer through some preseason excitement on my part (assuming there is a preseason). I'm actually expecting the organization to be more active in free agency than it has been since Casserly was throwing $25 million at people like Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Zack Weigart, etc...

Yeah

I got a neg rep because I was of the opinion the Texans were going to stink last yr. Thanks Dale.

I'm glad to see you're seeing the light.

Lucky
02-22-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm not comparing the Texans with those teams. My point is that a few disappointing seasons does not mean the Texans organization will never become like the Steelers and Patriots, as Lucky was asserting.
dale, cut me some slack. I haven't even posted in this thread.

Oops, now I have.

dalemurphy
02-22-2011, 08:38 PM
dale, cut me some slack. I haven't even posted in this thread.

Oops, now I have.

oops, it was someone with two syllables and a y at the end: Porky, maybe?

houstonspartan
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah

I got a neg rep because I was of the opinion the Texans were going to stink last yr. Thanks Dale.

I'm glad to see you're seeing the light.

Lol. Dale criticized me for calling 7-9 before the season started, so don't feel bad.