PDA

View Full Version : Per Herring: Cushing at inside LB

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/texans-reveal-how-brian-cushing-mario-williams-will-fit-in-new-defense/

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/QA-with-Reggie-Herring/fe142f29-2f64-45fc-b618-366d2a02af1e

TexCanada
02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Very interesting. We desperately need help at OLB if this is the case.

valleytexfan
02-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Von Miller and Barwin OLBs?

Maddict5
02-18-2011, 05:52 PM
yep demeco more or less said the same thing last week.. theyve obviously been told about it. im good with it. a crew of barwin, demeco, cush & von miller/robert quinn/aldon smith/akeem ayers etc would be a nice set of LB'ers

m5kwatts
02-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Von ain't gonna be there at 11.

IDEXAN
02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
To me Cushing is very much a niche player, and his specialty is clearly as a 4-3 SAM, and in addition using the 15th overall pick on a 3-4 ILB is a waste of resources though of course that wasn't origionally the Texans intentions for Cushing.

TheRealJoker
02-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Had we known we would be in a 3-4 in Cushing's 3rd season methinks the staff would've taken Clay...

But Cushing will be a heck of a player for us regardless of where he plays because he will have a huge chip on his shoulder coming off the suspension and sophomore slump that followed his stellar rookie season.

TEXANS84
02-18-2011, 06:51 PM

They need to realize, it's this year or bust. Go for broke and trade up to get Miller. Can't imagine any FA OLB or draft pick that would have the skills to match Miller's/ Clay Mathews Jr. style.

JB
02-18-2011, 07:05 PM
They need to realize, it's this year or bust. Go for broke and trade up to get Miller. Can't imagine any FA OLB or draft pick that would have the skills to match Miller's/ Clay Mathews Jr. style.

It will likely mean trading up to #4 at least. If they do that, I hope you are right about his ability. I am not so sure he is a top 5 player.

CloakNNNdagger
02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Seems to be the only wise move. Just to be in correct position for plays and being "adjusted," Cushing needs to be a hand's reach from Demeco at all times. His "free lancing" decision making last year didn't exactly demonstrate very consistent good judgement.

Lucky
02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I guess this is where I second guess the decision. One, Cushing is better moving upfield and attacking rather than waiting and reacting. Two, the Texans have only Barwin (who has never played LB before) ready to play on the outside. Three, it's easier to find a 3-4 ILB than a 3-4 OLB in the draft or free agency. I just don't see how Phillips can look at Cushing's film and think he's a better fit inside than outside.

Rey
02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
I guess this is where I second guess the decision. One, Cushing is better moving upfield and attacking rather than waiting and reacting. Two, the Texans have only Barwin (who has never played LB before) ready to play on the outside. Three, it's easier to find a 3-4 ILB than a 3-4 OLB in the draft or free agency. I just don't see how Phillips can look at Cushing's film and think he's a better fit inside than outside.

That is what I was thinking as far as Cushings role on the team..

The only thing I can really think of though is the fact that Cushing is so big and he's pretty athletic for his size...

I can see him playing the strong ILB and essentially being the "stand up DT". Taking on the blocks and clogging the lanes and letting Demeco be the clean-up man...

He'd also command attention on the inside on blitzing situations...It wouldn't allow teams to just focus on the outside rush...

Doppelganger
02-18-2011, 09:23 PM
To me Cushing is very much a niche player, and his specialty is clearly as a 4-3 SAM, and in addition using the 15th overall pick on a 3-4 ILB is a waste of resources though of course that wasn't origionally the Texans intentions for Cushing.

We disagree. Using our #11 in 2007 on a 3-4 ILB was not a waste of our resources. If anything, it may have been the only good pick we made in the last 5 years.

Signed,
The San Francisco 49ers.

mussop
02-18-2011, 09:25 PM

This!
Still to have a good 3/4 you have to have quality LB's. Im hoping/praying we can trade down just a little and come out of this draft with Justin Houston (6-3, 260 4.65 Georgia) in the first and Martez Wilson (6-3, 260 4.60 Illinois) in the second. Both these guys along with Cushing should be interchangeable inside or out. That kind of versatility could be a real key to an 18 game season. It also adds alot of speed and toughness. (Im just not sold as many of you are on Barwin being able to step right in and make the transition especially after that horrific injury and all the time off he's had because of it.)

Then find a way to get a couple of these guys
Phil Taylor 6-3.5, 337 5.25 Baylor
Stephen Paea 6-1, 295 4.95 Oregon State
Marvin Austin 6-2, 312 5.00 North Carolina
Kenrick Ellis 6-4, 340 5.05 Hampton
Jarvis Jenkins 6-4, 310 5.00 Clemson
Jerrell Powe 6-2, 320 5.15 Mississippi
Sione Fua 6-1.5, 310 5.15 Stanford (NT)
Ian Williams 6-1, 310 5.15 Notre Dame

and were starting to look like a real 3/4. of course this means we have to go hard and heavy after secondary players in FA.

But alas this is the Texans we are talking about so you you they are going to throw us a curveball and draft Jimmy Smith CB Colorado in the first. I think he's going to be a good player but we'll reach for him to early. :kubepalm:

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2011, 09:28 PM
That is what I was thinking as far as Cushings role on the team..

The only thing I can really think of though is the fact that Cushing is so big and he's pretty athletic for his size...

I can see him playing the strong ILB and essentially being the "stand up DT". Taking on the blocks and clogging the lanes and letting Demeco be the clean-up man...

He'd also command attention on the inside on blitzing situations...It wouldn't allow teams to just focus on the outside rush...

You are working pretty well my friend:bravo:

Herrring and I quote

“Well, I think the first rule of thumb is don’t get locked into a thought and put yourself in a position where you say, ‘This is the only place they can play.’ We have to have flexibility, and initially until we work out the kinks and find the proper places for everybody, where they can be the most productive for this team, we’re probably going to take a look at Brian inside at the Mike ‘backer position, strongside on the tight end, and then DeMeco will be the weakside Mo inside ‘backer. (They’ll be) the Mike and the Mo, two inside guys. We’ve got to take advantage of what we see in Brian Cushing as a tremendous anchor on the tight end side as far as securing the box physically in the run game, and then using him in our package to pressure and blitz him on the inside. At Dallas, Bradie James, same position, led the NFL in inside linebackers in sacks. He had eight in one year in this package from blitzing inside. So the numbers are there, the opportunities will be there.

JimBaker488
02-18-2011, 09:33 PM
The heart of the 3-4 is the backers on the outside because unlike in the 4-3 they are the primary edge-rushers and the Texans are so screwed at that position right now because the only guy who really looks like a fit is Barwin and he has (1) only played defensive football 2 years, and just one of those in the NFL and he's only played DE in the 4-3, so he has no 3-4 experience (2) he's coming off of a very serious season-ending injury from 2010 and nobody really knows when he'll be ready to go ?

SoCalTexanFan
02-18-2011, 09:49 PM
This tells me that last year wasn't a slump for Cush and the reality is Cush rookie season was performance enhanced. He was no where near the player he was in his rookie year. RB's were dropping him like crazy on pass rushes and he couldn't take on the takle. The strength of the 3-4 is the outside LB and the fact they are putting him inside instead tells me a lot.

Norg
02-19-2011, 12:18 AM
to me this has bad news written all over it

we should ditch some of these 4-3 guyz and get some 3-4 players

yeah some of the guyz we get will not have the Name value but they will be blue chippers

TexansSeminole
02-19-2011, 12:29 AM

Herring and I quote

"We’ve got to take advantage of what we see in Brian Cushing as a tremendous anchor on the tight end side as far as securing the box physically in the run game, and then using him in our package to pressure and blitz him on the inside. At Dallas, Bradie James, same position, led the NFL in inside linebackers in sacks. He had eight in one year in this package from blitzing inside. So the numbers are there, the opportunities will be there.

I think they plan on using Cushing as an attacking player. It sounds like he will be bumping tight ends and occupying lineman in the majority of running situations. Then Herring said that they will use him to blitz from the inside on pressure packages.

That seems like Cushing's best fit IMO. We don't have anyone else on the team that can be an imposing strong side backer like Cushing. Besides isn't that what he was drafted to be, regardless of it is in a 3-4 or 4-3?

The heart of the 3-4 is the backers on the outside because unlike in the 4-3 they are the primary edge-rushers and the Texans are so screwed at that position right now because the only guy who really looks like a fit is Barwin and he has (1) only played defensive football 2 years, and just one of those in the NFL and he's only played DE in the 4-3, so he has no 3-4 experience (2) he's coming off of a very serious season-ending injury from 2010 and nobody really knows when he'll be ready to go ?

Good news is highlighted in this thread. Assuming DeMeco recovers fully from his injury, we have two good inside linebackers to start with.

Bad news is that your right we have nobody to play OLB. Notice they mention Jesse Nading. Lol @ that. Jesse Nading? That guy is first on my list to get cut. I'm surprised they didn't mention Mark Anderson as an asset in pressure packages, considering he is all that we have outside of Barwin at that position.

We are going to need to add atleast 3 guys to play OLB. It would be ideal to get one early in the draft and then sign the best available FA. I don't think we will be able to get Miller and it would be unwise to trade up for him considering where our pick falls in the draft. I think there is a real possibility for a trade down scenario this year, and a guy like Dareus, Quinn, or even Miller could fall. Crazier things have happened.

Brisco_County
02-19-2011, 12:54 AM

Barwin's injury came so early in the season that the odds of a full rehab by now are high. He's also a naturally versatile player who develops fast. We lost a major weapon for 2010 when he went down.

This tells me that last year wasn't a slump for Cush and the reality is Cush rookie season was performance enhanced. He was no where near the player he was in his rookie year. RB's were dropping him like crazy on pass rushes and he couldn't take on the takle. The strength of the 3-4 is the outside LB and the fact they are putting him inside instead tells me a lot.

Cushing was drug tested throughout his rookie season and progressively improved game after game.

In 2010, he had the most tackles per game of the front seven. The entire defense just sucked in general.

Placing Cushing at ILB tells me they're looking for someone faster on the outside. Cushing's job will mostly remain the same: Eat up the TE.

I think our first pick will be Akeem Ayers at OLB.

CloakNNNdagger
02-19-2011, 08:18 AM
If Cushing plays at his 2010 level, in a 3-4 scheme, my opinion is that he is likely to be truly effective ONLY as a rush defender whether placed at the outside or inside position.

dc_txtech
02-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I found this part of the article interesting.

I think Mario falls into the same category of we’ll start him out at defensive end and then see where he goes. Hopefully that’ll work out there, and if it doesn’t, then we’ll find another place to put him.

So if he doesn't work out at DE, where do we line him up? OLB? NT?

CloakNNNdagger
02-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I found this part of the article interesting.

So if he doesn't work out at DE, where do we line him up? OLB? NT?

Gives me such a warm and fuzzy feeling as to the new "immediate impact" direction the D will be taking.

On a brighter note, each Texans defensive coach has been issued official proven decision-making NFL equipment.

http://www.iltsource.com/v/vspfiles/assets/blog/2008-08-21/blind-cane.jpg

Second Honeymoon
02-19-2011, 11:05 AM

nothing the Texans do surprises me. just a bunch of inept losers who have no business being in positions of power. this offseason we get all the growing pains of having a new head coach...WITHOUT A NEW HEAD COACH!!

McNair, Kubiak, and Rick. you all really suck so bad. Please go away and go **** yourselves.

srrono
02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe the Texans could grab Casey Matthews in the 3rd with thier extra pick from Dunta.

6'1 ht 232 wt

Best known for his deep football bloodlines, Matthews really carved out his own identity with a spectacular All-Pac-10 senior season culminated with a truly outstanding performance in the BCS National Championship against Auburn.

He helped keep Cam Newton in check, making plays behind the line of scrimmage as well as in coverage against the pass, and forced a key late fumble by chasing Newton down from behind. It was an MVP-worthy performance had Oregon won.

As an NFL prospect, Matthews projects to be a steady and heady inside linebacker in either a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Analysis

Positives: Two-plus-year starter is an instinctive playmaker and a passionate team leader. Almost always around the ball. Sure tackler who rarely misses. Excellent at diagnosing and getting in position to make plays. Can anchor against blocks, shed blocks and make plays off blocks. Made a lot of plays behind the line. Can run and shut off the wide rush. Has good ball skills and made plays in coverage. Top intangibles: healthy, durable, productive, football smart and from a legendary football family.

Negatives: Played in a system that had him blitzing, immediately or delayed, for a ridiculously high percentage of plays, which inflated his sacks/TFL stats. Not blazingly fast. Slightly stiff in the hips, doesn't have great change of direction ability and could struggle in man coverage vs. NFL tight ends and backs. Rarely beat the block once picked up on the blitz. While good at just about everything, not truly elite in any category.

--Brad Noel

With Ryans coming off of injury this kid has a active motor seems to make plays would be a good depth player

Rey
02-19-2011, 12:37 PM
You are working pretty well my friend:bravo:

Herrring and I quote

“Well, I think the first rule of thumb is don’t get locked into a thought and put yourself in a position where you say, ‘This is the only place they can play.’ We have to have flexibility, and initially until we work out the kinks and find the proper places for everybody, where they can be the most productive for this team, we’re probably going to take a look at Brian inside at the Mike ‘backer position, strongside on the tight end, and then DeMeco will be the weakside Mo inside ‘backer. (They’ll be) the Mike and the Mo, two inside guys. We’ve got to take advantage of what we see in Brian Cushing as a tremendous anchor on the tight end side as far as securing the box physically in the run game, and then using him in our package to pressure and blitz him on the inside. At Dallas, Bradie James, same position, led the NFL in inside linebackers in sacks. He had eight in one year in this package from blitzing inside. So the numbers are there, the opportunities will be there.

I hadn't even read that...Wow...

Maddict5
02-19-2011, 10:09 PM

funny how every good/great 3-4 defence has a high pick/ big FA @ ILB

steelers: laurence timmons (#15 overall), farrior (#8 overall)
ravens: ray ray (#26 overall)
jets: david harris (#47), bart scott
miami: channing crowder (#70), karlos dansby
NE: jerod mayo (#9 overall), brandon spikes (#62)
KC: derrick johnson (#13 overall)
GB: nick barnett (#29), aj hawk (#5 overall)
SD: kevin burnett (#42)
SF: patrick willis (#13 overall), takeo spikes

i think cush will be a good ilb in a 3-4, its where i wanted to put him as soon as wade got the gig. he gets to rush more and will have alot of the same duties as an 4-3 under sam with regard to run D. dont think hes an elite enough rusher to be a dominating 3-4 olb.

painekiller
02-19-2011, 11:46 PM
i think cush will be a good ilb in a 3-4, its where i wanted to put him as soon as wade got the gig. he gets to rush more and will have alot of the same duties as an 4-3 under sam with regard to run D. dont think hes an elite enough rusher to be a dominating 3-4 olb.

I agree, Cush is not a 3-4 OLB, he is not fast enough.

beerlover
02-20-2011, 01:02 AM
I agree, Cush is not a 3-4 OLB, he is not fast enough.

One of Cushing's selling points was his production early in USC career playing DE despite lack of foot speed to be considered a pure edge rusher. However his motor & desire to excell more than qualify but when playing next to DeMeco he is so much more productive, this makes a lot of sense. Now Rick Smith & his scouting department need to add elite speed on the outside, even if trading up is nessecary. I think it's down to just a couple names, Von Miller & the Mighty Quinn.

aussie_texan
02-20-2011, 02:46 AM
Maybe the Texans could grab Casey Matthews in the 3rd with thier extra pick from Dunta.

just a quick question.
when do we find out about the compensatory pick??

Maddict5
02-20-2011, 06:47 AM
just a quick question.
when do we find out about the compensatory pick??

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Compensatory_picks

aussie_texan
02-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Compensatory_picks

cool thanks man

nero THE zero
02-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Sounds like there's some disagreement within the organization regarding Mario's role. I don't know if it is between Herring and Phillips, the former wanting him at OLB and the latter at DE, or between Mario and the coaching staff, or both. But, there seems to be a lot of ambiguity and uncertainty every time someone answers questions about his role in the 3-4.

steelbtexan
02-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Sounds like there's some disagreement within the organization regarding Mario's role. I don't know if it is between Herring and Phillips, the former wanting him at OLB and the latter at DE, or between Mario and the coaching staff, or both. But, there seems to be a lot of ambiguity and uncertainty every time someone answers questions about his role in the 3-4.

Makes sense, this is the Texans organization we're talking about.

MW needs to quit crying,man up and play DE in the 3-4.

The inmates have been running the asylum for far to long.

thunderkyss
02-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Von ain't gonna be there at 11.

It will definitely show a change in the way we do business in Houston.

A most welcome change, depending on what we would have to give up to go up & get him.

IDEXAN
02-20-2011, 10:25 AM
We disagree. Using our #11 in 2007 on a 3-4 ILB was not a waste of our resources. If anything, it may have been the only good pick we made in the last 5 years.

Signed,
The San Francisco 49ers.
OK you got me there 49er, Willis is a great football player and certainly worthy
of your 11th overall pick in that Draft. God knows we Texans' fans are stilling kicking ourselves (rather that is kicking Smith-Kubiak) for not taking Willis or CB Revis instead of the "boy wonder". But I still stick with my origional statment which I think is valid generally speaking.

thunderkyss
02-20-2011, 10:33 AM

Never mind using the #1 overall on a 3-4 DE.....

It is what it is...... we screwed up in the past. Now, we need to focus on going forward.

1) If Mario & Cushing are "too" talented for a 3-4 defense, we win right?

2) Technically we are removing a DE & putting a LB in his spot. Wade says there isn't much difference between his 3-4 & a 4-3 front. Mario should continue to line up as a 5 tech.... Cushing has played next to Demeco a lot.... in our 4-3, Cushing & Diles didn't switch sides when the TE shifted. Diles would move up to the line over the TE (becoming the SAM) & Cushing would fall back, next to Demeco (basically the WILL) where he will basically play in the 3-4.

Cushing can still be used to rush the QB. He can still run stunts with the DE/DT...... he'll be able to run more affective blitzes, like delays. He won't be able to set the edge on running plays anymore (next to Mario he was the only one on the team who could effectively set the edge with consistency). He won't be able to rush the passer from the outside...... which is fine, if Anderson is still on the team, or Barwin is back to being Barwin, they rush the passer as well as Cushing did on the edge.

What we didn't have, is someone who could rush the passer effectively up the middle.

thunderkyss
02-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Not even Clay Matthews Jr. played like Clay Matthews Jr. as a rookie.

But Von Miller can.....
:kitten:

thunderkyss
02-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Signed,
The San Francisco 49ers.

How many times must we tell you?

It's only a mistake if the Texans do it.
:bender:

thunderkyss
02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
The heart of the 3-4 is the backers on the outside because unlike in the 4-3 they are the primary edge-rushers

Wrong..... Greg Ellis was transformed to OLB opposite Ware. He didn't like it, because he was no longer a primary pass rusher. He covered the TE.

The weakside OLB will rush the QB on almost every down. The Strongside DE will rush the QB from the other side. The Strongside OLB will blitz, but not on every down, and it will be so infrequently, the QB won't know if he's coming or going.

and the Texans are so screwed at that position right now because the only guy who really looks like a fit is Barwin and he has (1) only played defensive football 2 years, and just one of those in the NFL and he's only played DE in the 4-3, so he has no 3-4 experience (2) he's coming off of a very serious season-ending injury from 2010 and nobody really knows when he'll be ready to go ?

Wrong. Nading is definitely not a 4-3 DE. He may look a lot better as an OLB.

And what's up with Mark Anderson? I think he's as good an OLB prospect as anyone out there in FA or the draft.

thunderkyss
02-20-2011, 11:06 AM

This is ridiculous. The strength of the 3-4 is not the OLBs. Take Demarcus Ware off the Cowboys & you've lost your pass rush, but not the heart of your D.

Cushing is a football player, he's very rounded, very versatile. At ILB, he'll be in position to use all his talents, not just his pass rushing ability.

Think Demarcus Ware/Bradie James. Each of those guys were instrumental to the 2009 Cowboy's Defense.

dtran04
02-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Cushing is perfect where they project him to go. He's a decent blitzer but not a good pass rusher if that makes any sense. Demeco is similar too.

IDEXAN
02-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Wrong..... Greg Ellis was transformed to OLB opposite Ware. He didn't like it, because he was no longer a primary pass rusher. He covered the TE.

The weakside OLB will rush the QB on almost every down. The Strongside DE will rush the QB from the other side. The Strongside OLB will blitz, but not on every down, and it will be so infrequently, the QB won't know if he's coming or going.

Wrong. Nading is definitely not a 4-3 DE. He may look a lot better as an OLB.

And what's up with Mark Anderson? I think he's as good an OLB prospect as anyone out there in FA or the draft.
Like Barwin, Nading & Andersens experience is also limited to the 4-3 as DE ends so who knows how they'd do in the 3-4 ? For example, who knows how they can play in pass coverage ?

Lucky
02-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Think Demarcus Ware/Bradie James. Each of those guys were instrumental to the 2009 Cowboy's Defense.
If Demarcus Ware and Bradie James both hit the free agent market, who would ca$h in the most?

Equating Bradie James' value to Demarcus Ware's is what's ridiculous.

thunderkyss
02-20-2011, 03:46 PM
If Demarcus Ware and Bradie James both hit the free agent market, who would ca$h in the most?

Equating Bradie James' value to Demarcus Ware's is what's ridiculous.

You're right, I should have used Ray Lewis & Terrell Suggs.

Patrick Willis & Manny Lawson.

Bart Scott & Calvin Pace.

ArlingtonTexan
02-20-2011, 06:45 PM
OK you got me there 49er, Willis is a great football player and certainly worthy
of your 11th overall pick in that Draft. God knows we Texans' fans are stilling kicking ourselves (rather that is kicking Smith-Kubiak) for not taking Willis or CB Revis instead of the "boy wonder". But I still stick with my origional statment which I think is valid generally speaking.

Maybe a consideration when you are drafting, but once you have the assets just have use as many of them in the best possible combinations. Of course, if we had enough good assets might not be talking about fitting Mario and Cushing into what is probably their 2nd best positions.