PDA

View Full Version : Eugene Wilson, Andre Davis, 3 others released

The Cush
02-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Hell yea! This is a good sign that, as much as it probably kills him, Kubiak is willing to soften his stance on "sticking with his guys" The other 3 are LB Isiah Greenhouse, LB Darnell Bing, and DL DeMario Pressly.

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-texans/2011/2/18/2001752/texans-waive-eugene-wilson-andre-davis-three-others

Mike Kerns
02-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Apologies if it was posted. I didn't see it on the front page.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/110218-houston-texans-release-players

They are safety Eugene Wilson, receiver Andre Davis, linebackers Isaiah Greenhouse and Darnell Bing, and Demario Pressley.

Texans' five cuts saved the team $9.7 million in projected 2011 salary. Andre' Davis ($4.7M) and Eugene Wilson ($3.56M). Nice.

gary
02-18-2011, 04:42 PM
I would have kept Bing he played well when he was healthy.

srrono
02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
I like Darnell Bing but all the could go

gary
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
A thread merger.

srrono
02-18-2011, 04:48 PM

my thoughts as well

srrono
02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Andre Davis is long over due to be released

Ole Miss Texan
02-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Wilson and Davis were obvious cuts to me.

I wanted to see more of Greenhouse. Maybe they figured he wouldn't fit well in the 3-4 or we had enough better ILBs?

Bing is a guy most of us like because of his potential. Does he still have PS eligibility? Wish he would have worked out. He was always a free agent acquisition by me on Madden. ;)

Texans34Life
02-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Thank the heavens that Eugene aka 2nd coming of faggins Wilson is gone!

ThaShark316
02-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for blowing the NYJ game, Eugene...you ****ing loser.

drs23
02-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Hell yea! This is a good sign that, as much as it probably kills him, Kubiak is willing to soften his stance on "sticking with his guys" The other 3 are LB Isiah Greenhouse, LB Darnell Bing, and DL DeMario Pressly.

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-texans/2011/2/18/2001752/texans-waive-eugene-wilson-andre-davis-three-others

Bout time, good riddance. Don't stop there. Who's next?

TexCanada
02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I think it would be a lot more reasonable if fans thanked Wilson for his hard work and wished him the best in the future. Its not his fault that he isn't a world beating safety. No need to take it out on him, its the GMs fault for not finding better talent.

GP
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Well, well, well.....

Somebody's got some stones to cut a guy who played safety most of 2010, especially since this level of action is typically a move reserved for just before the reg season. I don't remember the last time a starter was unceremoniously cut this early in the year.

I bet it's made the other secondary guys a little nervous, too.

So it's safe to say this is Wade Phillip's first big move: To dump Eugene Wilson and signal that whoever plays free safety is going to have to be a lot better than EW? Does Troy Nolan fit the bill, or will Wade Phillips go after someone in free agency or the draft? Hmmm.....

Not too shabby.

gary
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM
my thoughts as wellMaybe he does not fit the 3-4 defense.

The Cush
02-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I think it would be a lot more reasonable if fans thanked Wilson for his hard work and wished him the best in the future. Its not his fault that he isn't a world beating safety. No need to take it out on him, its the GMs fault for not finding better talent.

I hope he signs with a division rival and plays exactly the same way. Hey the Colts just cut Bob Sanders, Eugene in a Indy uniform would be nice

GP
02-18-2011, 05:07 PM

You're going to get a slew of sarcastic replies now...

LOL. Always happens.

(Enter Dutchrudder, b0ng & associates in 3...2...1.......)

beerlover
02-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Maybe he does not fit the 3-4 defense.

I didn't realize he fit in a 4-3 :kubepalm:

gary
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
I didn't realize he fit in a 4-3 :kubepalm:Not sure what you are saying.

drs23
02-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Not sure what you are saying.

He's saying Eugene Wilson sucked whether it be a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 46 or any other scheme fathomable. I think :D

beerlover
02-18-2011, 05:23 PM

Really, does it matter what the system is? He didn't exactly shine in the 4-3 either.

JCTexan
02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
He's saying Eugene Wilson sucked whether it be a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 46 or any other scheme fathomable. I think :D

I believe they are talking about Darnell Bing not Eugene Wilson.

TheRealJoker
02-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Nice way to make room to sign some players that can make a more positive contribution to the Texans or renew the contracts of some good players already on the roster.

GP
02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Was thinking Bing would make the team. Guess not.

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2011, 05:42 PM

Maybe Darnell Bing never played enough (try not at all in the regular season) for people to think he was any good?

gary
02-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Really, does it matter what the system is? He didn't exactly shine in the 4-3 either.I am talking about Bing not Wilson.

Maddict5
02-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Was thinking Bing would make the team. Guess not.

hes really light..started out as a safety in the nfl and bulked uo to a 4-3 will so def undersized for a 3-4... decent player because of his speed but not big enough for what we want

drs23
02-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I believe they are talking about Darnell Bing not Eugene Wilson.

Oh well...they're gone. I admit I thought Bing looked good in PS.

GP
02-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Wait, I thought it said Texans PLAYERS were released.

How is Eugene Wilson's name on that list?

Sorry...someone else was gonna' do it anyways.

srrono
02-18-2011, 06:03 PM
With Wilson cut and Pollard a free agent the Texans should have 2 new starting safeties next season.

2 safeties have become available today Bob Sanders IND, O.J. Atogwe Rams.

The St. Louis Rams have released safety O.J. Atogwe, a league source said Friday.

Atogwe knew this was a distinct possibility, given the nature of his contract. He had an $8 million roster bonus due Feb. 21, which in essence forced a decision from the Rams, who have used their franchise tag on Atogwe in the past and re-signed him as a free agent last year.

Atogwe now is free to negotiate and sign with any team.

Atogwe, a six-year veteran, started 15 games in 2010 and finished with 73 tackles, two sacks, two forced fumbles and three interceptions.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e6062d/article/pricey-roster-bonus-forces-rams-to-cut-safety-atogwe?module=HP_headlines

texanchris
02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Sign Atogwe now!!!!

Double Barrel
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Thank you, Eugene Wilson, for your hard work and I wish you the best in the future as you bring your Faggins act to another team to blow a game against the Jets for them.

How's that for covering all the bases? :D

BetaV1
02-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Eugene Wilson out. Bernard Pollard very likely gone for good. I've said it time and again that two new starting safeties were the number one priority for the Texans, and this essentially guarantees we'll get that.

Along with more details emerging about what players will be moved where, this is certainly a step in the right direction, especially since GP is giving props. :goodluck:

As for Eugene Wilson, maybe the guy is better than we know. Not saying he should've stayed, but being coached by Frank Bush is not going to do wonders for your career. Best of luck to Eugene, wherever he goes (so long as it's not against the Texans).

:bender:

gary
02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I would see who is out there right now before the current CBA runs out.

TheRealJoker
02-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I'd like to keep Pollard. I would hate to see what would happen to our run defense if he weren't there after the first 3 games of the 09-10 season...

IDEXAN
02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Anybody surprised they didn't release Pollard ?

BetaV1
02-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Anybody surprised they didn't release Pollard ?

I believe Pollard is a free agent.

Via Rotoworld
"Impending free agent SS Bernard Pollard is less than optimistic that he'll be back with the Texans in 2011.

Pressed for his "gut feel" on getting a new deal done in Houston, Pollard replied, "You don't want to know that." While he's been strong in run support, Pollard was one of the prime culprit's in Houston's league-worst pass defense in 2010. The team won't overpay to keep him. Jan 27, 8:17 PM"

BetaV1
02-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Atogwe. Hmm...

I'm not sure what to think of him, honestly. While he would be an upgrade from Eugene Wilson, how much bang would we get for our buck? Atogwe hasn't exactly been a feared man in the NFL in three years. Sure, he plays for the lowly Rams, but his only noteworthy games lately seem to be against teams with questionable offenses. He had three picks last year. Sure, one was against Phillip Rivers, but the other two were against Matt Moore and Derek Anderson.

Give him a look, but don't give him anything near the $8 million he was due in St. Louis. The great thing about Atogwe is that he is able to sign whether or not a new CBA is in place. If I were the Texans, I'd go into the draft and see what happens. If nothing can be had in the draft and Atogwe is still there after the fact, his market value will have likely dropped to a more realistic contract.

thunderkyss
02-18-2011, 07:25 PM

I agree.... Bing is gone..... couldn't stay healthy??

Molden's name wasn't on that list.....??????????????

gary
02-18-2011, 07:33 PM
I agree.... Bing is gone..... couldn't stay healthy??

Molden's name wasn't on that list.....??????????????
Cut Molden and keep Bing.

Carr Bombed
02-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Atogwe. Hmm...

I'm not sure what to think of him, honestly. While he would be an upgrade from Eugene Wilson, how much bang would we get for our buck? Atogwe hasn't exactly been a feared man in the NFL in three years. Sure, he plays for the lowly Rams, but his only noteworthy games lately seem to be against teams with questionable offenses. He had three picks last year. Sure, one was against Phillip Rivers, but the other two were against Matt Moore and Derek Anderson.

Give him a look, but don't give him anything near the $8 million he was due in St. Louis. The great thing about Atogwe is that he is able to sign whether or not a new CBA is in place. If I were the Texans, I'd go into the draft and see what happens. If nothing can be had in the draft and Atogwe is still there after the fact, his market value will have likely dropped to a more realistic contract.

Atogwe is one of the best safeties in the NFL. Somebody is going to snatch him up, he isn't going to be available for very long.

thunderkyss
02-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Andre Davis is long over due to be released

You say this.... and I'm sure many are thinking the same.

But how many times have we seen Davis on the field with Andre? How 'bout JJ & Davis?

Tell me Martz wouldn't have had Andre Johnson, Andre Davis, Jacoby Jones, & Kevin Walter on the field, early & often.

I know Kubiak & Schaub seem to do well without having to resort to such tactics.... but if you got it, why don't you use it? Couple of years back, Andre Davis did a fine job filling in for AJ. Andre comes back & Davis disappears.

Why? Put Johnson, Davis, & Jacoby on the field, what's a defense going to do with that kind of speed out there?

After watching our offense stumble...... after watching our defense get dismantled... many of us are questioning the talent we have on this team. It wasn't long ago, when we thought we were strong, and deep at WR. Now we feel like if we lose AJ, all hope is gone. We thought we were strong & deep at LB. Demeco goes down & our LB corps looks like a house of cards.

I had a point, but I forgot.

BetaV1
02-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Atogwe is one of the best safeties in the NFL. Somebody is going to snatch him up, he isn't going to be available for very long.

Not necessarily. Would a team on the cusp of the playoffs such as the Rams cut one of the best safeties in the NFL just for the sake of saving some cap room? If he's not on the market for long, it's because someone is going to drastically overpay him. In which case, I'll take a pass.

thunderkyss
02-18-2011, 07:52 PM
I hope he signs with a division rival and plays exactly the same way. Hey the Colts just cut Bob Sanders, Eugene in a Indy uniform would be nice

We can't beat the Colts with or without Sanders..... I don't think Eugene would make a big whoop.... We have to outscore their offense.

No matter how many points we put up, they put up more....... that's a great offense. What many people think we have.

thunderkyss
02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
With Wilson cut and Pollard a free agent the Texans should have 2 new starting safeties next season.

Wade said he likes the guys on our team already.

I'm thinking Nolan at SS & Quin at FS.

:kitten:
I'm being facetious.

thunderkyss
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Wade drafted Sensebaugh & Ball........ what do you guys think of these safeties?

JB
02-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Jerrah drafted Sensebaugh & Ball while Wade watched........ what do you guys think of these safeties?

Fixed it for ya!

Jackie Chiles
02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Wade drafted Sensebaugh & Ball........ what do you guys think of these safeties?

I believe Sensabaugh was drafted by the Jaguars and signed with the Cowboys as a FA.

CloakNNNdagger
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Fixed it for ya!

:spit: Poor me......the fans are already screwing with me.:wadepalm:

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Dallas fans thought that they had one of the worst safety situations in the NFL.

Wolf6151
02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Why wasn't Antwaun Molden's name included on this list, he's sucked a roster spot and paycheck from the Texans for 3 yrs. now?

Andre Davis should have been cut 2 yrs. ago. Gary hangs onto players way to long.

mussop
02-18-2011, 09:34 PM
I would like to see Troy Nolan get a shot at SS.

Oh yeh, its about time Wilson is gone! I never could figure out how he made it onto the field.

DerekLee1
02-18-2011, 10:03 PM
You say this.... and I'm sure many are thinking the same.

But how many times have we seen Davis on the field with Andre? How 'bout JJ & Davis?

Tell me Martz wouldn't have had Andre Johnson, Andre Davis, Jacoby Jones, & Kevin Walter on the field, early & often.

I know Kubiak & Schaub seem to do well without having to resort to such tactics.... but if you got it, why don't you use it? Couple of years back, Andre Davis did a fine job filling in for AJ. Andre comes back & Davis disappears.

Why? Put Johnson, Davis, & Jacoby on the field, what's a defense going to do with that kind of speed out there?

We have at least 5 quality receivers already on the roster WITHOUT Davis: AJ, KW, JJ, DA, and DD. Why keep paying starter money to a 6th wideout who doesn't even return kicks anymore?

HoustonFrog
02-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing all these guys get coached up and thrive on other teams. :kitten:

Big Lou
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/110218-houston-texans-release-players

Texans' five cuts saved the team $9.7 million in projected 2011 salary. Andre' Davis ($4.7M) and Eugene Wilson ($3.56M). Nice.

Well that frees up about a fifth of what we need per year to sign Aso!!!!!!! LOL, now go pay the man Rick!!! You know if Aso walked of the plane to meet the Texans with Nike's with "Pay me Rick" I think I'd be OK with it......

run-david-run
02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
We can't beat the Colts with or without Sanders..... I don't think Eugene would make a big whoop.... We have to outscore their offense.

No matter how many points we put up, they put up more....... that's a great offense. What many people think we have.

Right, other than that 34-24 beat down. The Colts aren't the AFC standard anymore and their offense (when not playing the Texans) isn't at 2004 levels. It's time we pick a new team to mold ourselves in the image of (Pittsburgh, perhaps?)

Brisco_County
02-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Isn't Ed Reed also a free agent? The Ravens already used their tag on Ngata. Reed isn't a long term solution, but he could be a mentor for a rookie.

Molden is supposed to be good on special teams, but I bet they'll give him one more year.

And I never understood why we were using Slaton instead of Davis on returns. I never really understood the knock against Davis in general.

Norg
02-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Eugene and Pollard are one of the main reason why our secondary sucks ..... One down one two go !!!!!!!!!!!!!

houstonspartan
02-19-2011, 12:56 AM
We have at least 5 quality receivers already on the roster WITHOUT Davis: AJ, KW, JJ, DA, and DD. Why keep paying starter money to a 6th wideout who doesn't even return kicks anymore?

Call me crazy, but I think we need another receiver. The crew we have is not backing up AJ enough. And, I'm about ready for Jacoby to be gone. This is like the third year we are waiting for him to "mature" and break-out.

ArlingtonTexan
02-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Isn't Ed Reed also a free agent? The Ravens already used their tag on Ngata. Reed isn't a long term solution, but he could be a mentor for a rookie.

Molden is supposed to be good on special teams, but I bet they'll give him one more year.

And I never understood why we were using Slaton instead of Davis on returns. I never really understood the knock against Davis in general.

Seriously, I expect that lack of attention from the in-season only crowd.

Brisco_County
02-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Seriously, I expect that lack of attention from the in-season only crowd.

He filled in adequately for AJ a couple of years ago. Did he ever drop balls or incorrectly run routes?

aussie_texan
02-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Eugene and Pollard are one of the main reason why our secondary sucks ..... One down one two go !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldnt mine if pollard stays. in a 3-4 he would be more used against the run and not need to cover as much and we all know how good he is against the run.

if we get a ballhawking cover free safety and CB then ill be happy with pollard and i think he could return to 2010 standard and not have the responsibility of covering and be dominate against the run.

Grams
02-19-2011, 06:45 AM

Maybe because Davis was on IR all of last year?

steelbtexan
02-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Well that frees up about a fifth of what we need per year to sign Aso!!!!!!! LOL, now go pay the man Rick!!! You know if Aso walked of the plane to meet the Texans with Nike's with "Pay me Rick" I think I'd be OK with it......

Whatever it takes to get ASO/Bailey etc... here.

Move Quin to FS and draft McDaniel in the 2nd rd.

The secondary would look much better next yr.

Davis was a really good gunner on ST's and that's why the ST's weren't as good last yr.

drs23
02-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Whatever it takes to get ASO/Bailey etc... here.

Move Quin to FS and draft McDaniel in the 2nd rd.

The secondary would look much better next yr.

Davis was a really good gunner on ST's and that's why the ST's weren't as good last yr.

Steelb, while I agree that AD was a good gunner and was missed on ST's last year, I don't think that's the main reason they sucked so badly last year. I feel it was very much a group effort. From Turk being the league leading shankopotomus to returners, punts & kickoffs, that couldn't get back hardley ever past the 25 yd line! Yes, a group effort indeed. ;^)

I hope they fill up a charter plane with UDFA punters next season and find a boot in the bunch.

steelbtexan
02-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Steelb, while I agree that AD was a good gunner and was missed on ST's last year, I don't think that's the main reason they sucked so badly last year. I feel it was very much a group effort. From Turk being the league leading shankopotomus to returners, punts & kickoffs, that couldn't get back hardley ever past the 25 yd line! Yes, a group effort indeed. ;^)

I hope they fill up a charter plane with UDFA punters next season and find a boot in the bunch.

Group effort, agreed

Man they were bad last yr

A plane full of UDFA punters,that would be an interesting flight. LOL

I'm on board with bringing in a plane full though.

gary
02-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Reed has one more year left on his contract.

ArlingtonTexan
02-19-2011, 02:57 PM
He filled in adequately for AJ a couple of years ago. Did he ever drop balls or incorrectly run routes?

That read harser than I meant it today versus last night. anyway Andre Davis went on IR before the season started.

beerlover
02-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Possibly the decision has been made to move Glover Quin to FS replacing Wilson?

steelbtexan
02-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Possibly the decision has been made to move Glover Quin to FS replacing Wilson?

Seems that way.

Wonder who's going to replace Quin at CB?

Are they going to draft another CB in the 1st. Or are they going to sign a Vet FA CB?

If we knew those answers then we would know what their draft board is looking like.

CloakNNNdagger
02-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Seems that way.

Wonder who's going to replace Quin at CB?

Are they going to draft another CB in the 1st. Or are they going to sign a Vet FA CB?

If we knew those answers then we would know what their draft board is looking like.

If the Texans knew those answers then they would know what their draft board is looking like.:wadepalm:

badboy
02-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Texans' five cuts saved the team $9.7 million in projected 2011 salary. Andre' Davis ($4.7M) and Eugene Wilson ($3.56M). Nice.There's year one for Champ Bailey now let's go get Asomugha

thunderkyss
02-19-2011, 05:20 PM

I'm fine with cutting Davis. If we aren't using him, we aren't using him. My question is "why aren't we using him?"

Bob ( & many of his patrons here) point to the excellent offense we had in 2010, but when we needed to score, we came up short, often. There isn't another WR on this team with world class speed other than Andre, except Andre. We should have been using that. Jacoby is a playmaker, but we can't seem to get the ball in his hands.... (drops non-withstanding).

Maybe it's just my perception. But I would have thought an offensive guru would be creative enough to spread the ball much better than we did. Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Az Hakim & a bunch of other receivers were deadly, but Faulk was able to get more than enough touches.

Just sayin'

thunderkyss
02-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Right, other than that 34-24 beat down. The Colts aren't the AFC standard anymore and their offense (when not playing the Texans) isn't at 2004 levels. It's time we pick a new team to mold ourselves in the image of (Pittsburgh, perhaps?)

My point about Indy, when they were the model, they scored when they needed to. Early & often, which allowed their defense to be aggressive, to bend but not break..... we've been crying about how poor our defense has been all year.

Indy has had some terrible defenses. The Greatest Show on turf has had some horrible defenses. Statistically, the Patriots' defense wasn't all that great. Yet those teams make it to the play-offs.

JB
02-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm fine with cutting Davis. If we aren't using him, we aren't using him. My question is "why aren't we using him?"

Bob ( & many of his patrons here) point to the excellent offense we had in 2010, but when we needed to score, we came up short, often. There isn't another WR on this team with world class speed other than Andre, except Andre. We should have been using that. Jacoby is a playmaker, but we can't seem to get the ball in his hands.... (drops non-withstanding).

Maybe it's just my perception. But I would have thought an offensive guru would be creative enough to spread the ball much better than we did. Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Az Hakim & a bunch of other receivers were deadly, but Faulk was able to get more than enough touches.

Just sayin'

Here is your answer VVVVVVV

That read harser than I meant it today versus last night. anyway Andre Davis went on IR before the season started.

CloakNNNdagger
02-19-2011, 06:36 PM
In preseason, Davis sustained what was sometimes referred to as a "hip injury" and sometimes as a "tailbone injury." Looking back now, it is very probable that he dislocated or fractured his coccyx (tailbone) and had the classic accompanying severe "hip" pains. The problem with such an injury is that even after "healing" which can take over a year, movement at the dislocation or fracture site can still occur, very commonly causing chronic unrelenting debiliatating pain with progressive arthritis. Not a great type of injury for an athlete such as a bicyclist or a runner (which a WR is), since with even no additional direct trauma, intense repeated movements of the hip joint can be excrutiating.

painekiller
02-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Bing does not fit the new system at all, he was a fit in the old style defense, if you could call it a style.

Brisco_County
02-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Maybe because Davis was on IR all of last year?

Let me rephrase: Why weren't we using a hobbled Andre Davis instead of Slaton on returns?

gary
02-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Bing does not fit the new system at all, he was a fit in the old style defense, if you could call it a style.Wilson and Davis were amongst my favorite players though. Bummer.

EllisUnit
02-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Call me crazy, but I think we need another receiver. The crew we have is not backing up AJ enough. And, I'm about ready for Jacoby to be gone. This is like the third year we are waiting for him to "mature" and break-out.

i agree about needing more depth at WR. I think someone in place of DA. i like the guy but speed and size isnt there. he's like the rotten cousin u cant get rid of all summer. I do like what i saw in Dorin Dickerson though, reminds me so much of AJ. I was hoping they woulda gave him more shots last season especially when we were out of the play-offs.

RagingBull
02-21-2011, 01:43 AM
. Jacoby is a playmaker, but we can't seem to get the ball in his hands....

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6493/jacoby.jpg

Wolf6151
02-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Let me rephrase: Why weren't we using a hobbled Andre Davis instead of Slaton on returns?

Are you serious? :kubepalm: He was on IR all year, that means he's on the injured reserve list and thus he's ineligible to play. He can't suit up, practice, or play. Andre Davis was put on IR during training camp, he never made the team.

Malloy
02-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Personally, the big questionmark is why Slaton is still on this team... Can anyone explain this to me?

HOU-TEX
02-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Meh, don't really have much to say about these cuts. However, paying Davis 2.5 million to sit on IR and deciding to cut him after the season's kinda dumb, if you ask me. Why didn't we just cut him before the season? Eh, at least we cut him before he took another 4.7 million from us in 2011

dalemurphy
02-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Meh, don't really have much to say about these cuts. However, paying Davis 2.5 million to sit on IR and deciding to cut him after the season's kinda dumb, if you ask me. Why didn't we just cut him before the season? Eh, at least we cut him before he took another 4.7 million from us in 2011

You can not cut an injured player unless both parties reach an injury settlement. Well, the team could cut him but they would be responsible for 100% of his salary.

HOU-TEX
02-21-2011, 10:21 AM
You can not cut an injured player unless both parties reach an injury settlement. Well, the team could cut him but they would be responsible for 100% of his salary.

And would still be cheaper than paying him the 2.5. We did the same thing to KB

steelbtexan
02-21-2011, 10:31 AM
And would still be cheaper than paying him the 2.5. We did the same thing to KB

This is just the way things work in the Texans FO. As far as the injury settlement buyout thing goes teams do it all the time.

You could use the 1.5 mil or so saved on Davis buyout and the 10 mil saved by not signing Dunta to sign ASO or Bailey. The $$$$ are there.

Brisco_County
02-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Are you serious? :kubepalm: He was on IR all year, that means he's on the injured reserve list and thus he's ineligible to play. He can't suit up, practice, or play. Andre Davis was put on IR during training camp, he never made the team.

Of course I'm serious. Andre Davis, Ben Tate-- anyone but Slaton.

BigBull17
02-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Bing played well last pre season, but I don't think he can play in a 3-4. He is a 4-3 will.

Grams
02-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Of course I'm serious. Andre Davis, Ben Tate-- anyone but Slaton.

Andre Davis and Ben Tate were both put on IR.

You know IR - injured reserve, not able to play football, not part of the 53 man roster.

Hard to have them returning kicks when they are not able to play the game.

gary
02-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Bing played well last pre season, but I don't think he can play in a 3-4. He is a 4-3 will.I got it. Thanks.

devo-x
02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
From http://www.indystar.com/article/20110223/SPORTS03/102230346/1058/SPORTS03

The Indianapolis Colts claimed defensive tackle DeMario Pressley off waivers from the Houston Texans on Tuesday. Pressley was a fifth-round draft choice by the New Orleans Saints in 2008.