PDA

View Full Version : Colts cut Bob Sanders

texanfan2002114
02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
"Bob Sanders, the safety whose tremendous talent has been overshadowed by his inability to stay healthy, has been released by the Indianapolis Colts.

Colts owner Jim Irsay revealed the news on Twitter, using 140 characters to thank Sanders for his contributions to the Colts and note that Sanders had earned a Super Bowl ring, picked off a pass in the Super Bowl and won a defensive player of the year award during his time in Indianapolis.

When he was healthy, Sanders was nothing less than one of the best players in the NFL. He had an impact on the Colts’ defense that few players in the league could match, which is why at the end of the 2007 season he was named the NFL’s defensive player of the year and rewarded with a contract that made him the league’s highest-paid safety.

But he just hasn’t been able to stay on the field since then: In the last three seasons Sanders has played in nine regular-season games and missed 39.

Sanders knows he’s going to need to take a pay cut for his career to continue, and the Colts may still be able to re-sign him at a significantly reduced salary. But first he’ll test the free agent market. He’s free to sign, right now, with any team that’s willing to take a chance on a talented but injury-plagued former star"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/colts-cut-bob-sanders/

HOU-TEX
02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
I guess they couldn't deal with him being injured every year. I'd love to have him, but him staying healthy is next to impossible.

Bob Sanders, the safety whose tremendous talent has been overshadowed by his inability to stay healthy, has been released by the Indianapolis Colts.

But he just hasn’t been able to stay on the field since then: In the last three seasons Sanders has played in nine regular-season games and missed 39.

Colts may still be able to re-sign him at a significantly reduced salary. But first he’ll test the free agent market. He’s free to sign, right now, with any team that’s willing to take a chance on a talented but injury-plagued former star.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/colts-cut-bob-sanders/

False Start
02-18-2011, 11:06 AM
No.

Marcus
02-18-2011, 11:53 AM
He'd be a good addition if he could say healthy. But he can't.

And believe you me, someone will pay him as if he was healthy.

Doppelganger
02-18-2011, 11:54 AM

And believe you me, someone will pay him as if he was healthy.

If he was healthy, the Colts would have signed him to a BIG deal.

NitroGSXR
02-18-2011, 11:57 AM
If he was healthy, the Colts would have signed him to a BIG deal.

I don't think that's necessarily true considering that resigning Manning is going to be sickeningly expensive. In fact, it probably played a factor into their decision to cut Sanders and his mega-contract.

ChampionTexan
02-18-2011, 12:14 PM

If he could stay healthy, he wouldn't be available.

BullNation4Life
02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
If he could stay healthy, he wouldn't be available.

:bravo: what I was thinking....

so question is, do you take a calculated risk on him and hope he can stay healthy and maybe seek a bit of revenge on the Colts...

CloakNNNdagger
02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't know how many of you realize it, but Sanders has only played in more than 6 games in 1 season TWICE!........including only 2 games in 2009.............and only 1 game in 2010. He may be as likely to play 0 games in 2011 with or without an NFL season.:kubepalm:

Dutchrudder
02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Can we sign him to the practice sqaud?

Ole Miss Texan
02-18-2011, 04:40 PM
For me, I almost want to sign him regardless of if he plays or not. I'd pay him just to have the veteran mentorship in practice. Sounds crazy... but it just might work!

TexansBlood
02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Nothing to see here folks, move along.

The1ApplePie
02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Can we sign him to the practice sqaud?

Isn't he famous for hurting people in practice?

Bob Sanders is the rare example of a non-stop motor being a bad thing.

Thorn
02-18-2011, 05:57 PM
No.

I’ll sometimes quote someone that I agree with noting that I agree with them and save myself some typing, as do others. This is generally done by just quoting the post with the word “This”. I was thinking of doing just that. Then I thought to myself that wouldn’t allow my own personal take on such a magnificent post that said exactly what I wanted to say myself. There are times in our internet lives that we must rise above the common post and say what it is that we mean. And what I mean to say is that all this bull**** I’m typing is saying that I agree with False Start on such an exact verbal response to the subject of the tread.

texanchris
02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
I’ll sometimes quote someone that I agree with noting that I agree with them and save myself some typing, as do others. This is generally done by just quoting the post with the word “This”. I was thinking of doing just that. Then I thought to myself that wouldn’t allow my own personal take on such a magnificent post that said exactly what I wanted to say myself. There are times in our internet lives that we must rise above the common post and say what it is that we mean. And what I mean to say is that all this bull**** I’m typing is saying that I agree with False Start on such an exact verbal response to the subject of the tread.
This

Doppelganger
02-18-2011, 06:37 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true considering that resigning Manning is going to be sickeningly expensive. In fact, it probably played a factor into their decision to cut Sanders and his mega-contract.

Disagree. When Sanders is healthy he is in the same class of discussion as Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. The Colts won their only Superbowl with Manning when Bob Sanders was out there.

Texanmike02
02-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Can he play TE?

Mike

CloakNNNdagger
02-18-2011, 07:33 PM
From Stampedeblue.com:
Why The Indianapolis Colts Cut Bob Sanders

From Adam Schefter:

One reason Colts cut Bob Sanders: He was scheduled is make $5.5 million base salary, with a $500,000 off-season workout bonus.
That was one reason. The other reason was Sanders had signed a $37 million dollar contract back in early 2008. He pocketed $20 million in guaranteed money, and then (with an average yearly salary of $7.5 million), he too millions more over four seasons. He took $7.1 million in 2008 and 3.95 mill in 2009. In 2010, he took home 5.5 mill. During that length of time, 2008-2010, Bob played in a total of nine games.

Nine games.

Yeah, it's safe to say that was a pretty stupid contract. And please don't throw out the lame excuse of 'hindsight is 20-20.' Sanders had a long history with injuries dating back to college. He was injured his rookie year. He was injured for most of the 2006 season, only to come back for the playoffs and help Indy win a title.

In the end, giving an injury prone safety a $37 million dollar contract with $20 mill guaranteed was not a smart business move.That's nearly $50 mill $30 million dished out to him that could have been invested in players who, you know, actually stay on the field and contribute something to the football team. Jim Irsay and Bill Polian often lament the 2005 Corey Simon contract as a 'mistake.' Bob Sanders' deal was equally damaging.

And for people who feel that the release of Sanders is somehow some big page-turning moment in Colts history, the reality is Bob Sanders hasn't been part of this football team since he won Defensive Player of the Year in 2007.

Again, nine games in three seasons since winning that award.

To offer some perspective, Javarris James (who was a rookie last year) has played in more games for the Colts (10) recently than Sanders. Aaron Francisco has started more games at safety the last two years (14) than Sanders the last four years.

Absolutely, Bob was a wonderful player from 2004-2007, and we should appreciate his work during that time. But 2007 was eons ago, and when a player hasn't made a significant contribution to the team in well over three years, but was getting paid roughly $7.5 million a season regardless, it's kind of hard to get misty-eyed when thinking about him getting cut. I will personally have nothing but warm memories of his play in the playoffs in 2006, and his body of work in 2007. But Bob stopped being an intricate part of the Colts a long time ago, and his release was an obvious move for the Colts to make this off-season.

SoCalTexanFan
02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I know this guy has had some injury issues but at the right price he sure would look good on our side of the ball. Pollard and Sanders at safeties would scare anyone coming accross the middle.

Ryan
02-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Obligatory thread for every FA.

Look i'm sure he'd be an upgrade if he were healthy, and if he wasn't healthy with the Colts, there is no way in hell he will be with us.

Grams
02-19-2011, 06:17 AM
I know this guy has had some injury issues but at the right price he sure would look good on our side of the ball. Pollard and Sanders at safeties would scare anyone coming accross the middle.

Some injury issues?

He has yet to play a full season

Professional statistics
Year Team GP GS Tackles Sacks Ints
2004 IND 6 4 34 0 0
2005 IND 14 14 91 0 1
2006 IND 4 4 27 0 1
2007 IND 15 15 96 3.5 2
2008 IND 6 6 39 0 1
2009 IND 2 2 6 0 1
2010 IND 1 1 0 0 0
Career N/A 48 46 290 3.5 6

He has had 2 good years followed by 5 where he has been injured the majority of the year.

What we have may not be very good, but at least they are on the field making an occasional decent play. Hard to make a decent play when you spend the football season on IR.

CloakNNNdagger
02-19-2011, 06:53 AM

Only way to take a chance on him, is take no chance........pay him only for games played........not going to happen........

otisbean
02-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Only way to take a chance on him, is take no chance........pay him only for games played........not going to happen........

Agreed, if he were to going to take a pay cut it would be for a SB contender

HJam72
02-19-2011, 09:19 AM
We could sign him for the PUP list just to make our overall roster "look" better. :)

srrono
02-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Jaguars remain interested in S Sanders, who passes physical

Free-agent safety Bob Sanders remains very much on the radar of the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Florida Times-Union reported Friday.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio confirmed Sanders, 30, passed his physical during his visit Monday.
"I loved the time that we had with him," Del Rio said. "We're exploring, I know he's exploring, whether or not Jacksonville will be a fit for him. That's the question. How much does he have left? He was very eager to continue his career, thinks he has a couple good years left in him. Certainly when he's on the field, he's one of the more dynamic players in the league."

Sanders, 30, The Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year in 2007, stopped in Buffalo on Tuesday to visit the Bills. He has played in only nine games during the past three seasons.

"The thing I will just add is the injuries that knocked him the last year have been bicep here, bicep here," Del Rio said. "Basically he probably feels as good as he's felt."

When healthy, Sanders has been one of the league's top defenders, and the Jaguars are looking for help on a defense that ranked 28th against the pass (250.2 yards allowed per game) and 28th overall (371.8 yards allowed per game) this season.

Sanders played in 14 games in 2005, earning the first of two Pro Bowl selections. A knee injury limited him to just four regular-season games in 2006.

Sanders was healthy again in 2007, playing in 15 games, earning another Pro Bowl trip and becoming the first Colts player to win the league's top defensive award, but injuries limited him to just six regular-season games in 2008. In 2009, he missed the first five games after knee surgery and, in his second game back, tore the biceps in his left arm and missed the rest of the season.

Sanders didn't even make it through that many games this season. He tore his right biceps on the first defensive series of the season opener and didn't play again.

Sanders has 290 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, three recoveries and six interceptions in seven NFL seasons

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e7e0c6/article/jaguars-remain-interested-in-s-sanders-who-passes-physical?module=HP_headlines2col

Texans division rival Jags making a risky move that has a high reward. Our division rivals making moves to get better while the Texans stand like a stick in the mud. We need O J Atowge at FS to be brought into the Texans secondary.

Brandon420tx
02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Atogwe isn't the only safety that can improve the Texans secondary.

Dawan Landry
Eric Weddle
George Wilson (would have been the starter for Buffalo if it weren't for Byrd)
Micheal Huff

If one of those isn't brought in then I'll be dissappointed

srrono
02-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Atogwe isn't the only safety that can improve the Texans secondary.

Dawan Landry
Eric Weddle
George Wilson (would have been the starter for Buffalo if it weren't for Byrd)
Micheal Huff

If one of those isn't brought in then I'll be dissappointed

Weddle will be resigned by sd
The Chargers' plan is to re-sign him. And while nothing is certain, Weddle is comfortable in the defense and with secondary coach Steve Wilks.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/25/chargers-safety-nneed-unlikely-be-filled-biggest-n/?source=rss_teams_San_Diego_Chargers

Micheal Huff is intresting but i doubt Oak lets him go with losing Aso already

Dawan Landry is a quality starter at a position where the Ravens have let players walk before.

I really think the texans need a play maker FS.
I only see one option at FS Atowge
Free safeties:

» Oshiomogho Atogwe Rams
» Jordan Babineaux, Seahawks
» Sean Considine, Jaguars
» Reed Doughty, Redskins
» Abram Elam, Browns
» Hiram Eugene, Raiders
» Dashon Goldson, 49ers
» Ken Hamlin, Ravens
» Antoine Harris, Eagles
» James Ihedigbo, Jets
» Tanard Jackson, Buccaneers
» Michael Johnson, Giants
» Jon McGraw, Chiefs
» Paul Oliver, Chargers
» Jarrad Page, Patriots
» Darren Sharper, Saints
» Eric Weddle, Chargers
» John Wendling, Lions
» Gibril Wilson, Bengals
» Usama Young, Saints

Strong safeties:

» Hamza Abdullah, Cardinals
» Atari Bigby, Packers
» C.C. Brown, Lions
» Melvin Bullitt, Colts
» Josh Bullocks, Bears
» Eric Frampton, Vikings
» Deon Grant, Giants
» Roman Harper, Saints
» Marcus Hudson, Panthers
» Dawan Landry, Ravens
» Michael Lewis, 49ers
» Danieal Manning, Bears
» Quintin Mikell, Eagles
» Chinedum Ndukwe, Bengals
» Donnie Nickey, Titans
» Charlie Peprah, Packers
» Sabby Piscitelli, Buccaneers
» Bernard Pollard, Texans
» Brodney Pool, Jets
» Pierson Prioleau, Saints
» Chris Reis, Saints
» Gerald Sensabaugh, Cowboys
» Anthony Smith, Packers
» Eric Smith, Jets
» Nick Sorensen, Browns
» Matt Ware, Cardinals
» Roy Williams, Bengals
» George Wilson, Bills

Brandon420tx
02-26-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd also like to pick up John Wendling, not to start but he's a monster on special teams and an ok backup

srrono
03-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Former Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders is in New York meeting with the Jets on Wednesday, according to a league source.

full story
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e9115b/article/excolts-safety-sanders-pays-visit-to-jets?module=HP_headlines

infantrycak
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Can we please not have any more new threads about a guy the Texans will never sign and who has basically watched as much football from the sidelines the last two years as I have?

The Cush
03-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Atleast he didn't stay in the South

Former Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders plans to sign a one-year deal with the San Diego Chargers Thursday night, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6179488

Trap_Star
03-03-2011, 07:34 PM
and after the ink dried on the contract, sanders tore his bicep tendon putting his key into the car as he tried to head home.

Doppelganger
03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
and after the ink dried on the contract, sanders tore his bicep tendon putting his key into the car as he tried to head home.

More like after he signed the contract he dislocated his shoulder patting his agent on the back too hard for getting him a contract!

srrono
03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I guess this means E. Weddle will hit the market he is another player conected to wade

CloakNNNdagger
03-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Atleast he didn't stay in the South

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6179488

After safety Bob Sanders was cut by the Colts, former Indy coach Tony Dungy suggested that Sanders possibly would return to the team after exploring the open market.

As it turns out, Sanders liked what he saw on the open market.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Sanders has signed a one-year deal with the Chargers.

Sanders also had visited the Jets, Bills, and Jaguars.

San Diego has had Indy’s number for years, and Sanders now brings inside information and, if healthy, a high degree of ability. Though the Chargers won’t face the Colts during the 2011 regular season, Sanders could get a shot at his former team in the postseason.link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/03/bob-sanders-bolts-for-the-bolts/)