PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Rogers visiting Chiefs, says he wants to play for Texans

Texans34Life
02-15-2011, 03:20 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Shaun-Rogers-visiting-Chiefs-says-he-wants-to-play-for-Texans.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Shaun Rogers' contract was recently terminated by the Cleveland Browns.

His reputation was also damaged by a disappointing season last year where he struggled with injuries and he drew criticism from Browns general manager Tom Heckert, who referrred to him as a different kind of cat in comments to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Rogers recently visited the Washington Redskins.

He's visiting the Kansas City Chiefs today, according to ESPN and Pro Football Talk.

Rogers, whose nickname is "Big Baby," recently discussed his outlook with KILT Radio in Houston, per SportsRadioInterviews.com.

"No it didn’t," Rogers said when asked if he was surprised he was released. "It’s one of those things that come with the territory when you’re a veteran guy like myself. These kinds of things are going to happen. I would just hope that my track record would speak for itself. Unfortunately last year I played through some injuries against some advice from my agent Kennard (McGuire).

"He probably would’ve liked to see me sit down a little bit ‘till I was fully there. We’re competitors in this game and guys go out there and try and give there all excluding all circumstances. I think I did alright with what I was asked to do this year. My goal right now is to get healthy and look into any opportunities.”

The Browns wound up reducing Rogers' snaps significantly last season.

"The problem with me getting hurt last year, one of my young proteges, Ahtyba Rubin, showed great promise and they wanted to get him on the field," Rogers said. "They moved him to nose and we had a little rotation where I would go in at end and he would play nose and that’s just what it was. I was kinda banged up this year so I had a little more spot play than usual, but years previous to that I’ve been blessed and I’ve been one of the few guys in this league that I would consider a three-down guy. T

"he league is getting specialized as far as guys playing two downs and bringing in other guys in third down situations. You see that a lot in the league. In my career I’ve been blessed and had the ability to do both. I’m just looking to get healthy and go out there and play at a level where I played at for many years which I consider to be one of the upper levels or a Pro-Bowl level.”

A former University of Texas standout whose agent is based out of Houston, Rogers said he would like to play for the Texans.

“Like I said it would be most definitely a fairy tale situation," Rogers said. "But again you just look forward to exploring all opportunities and hopefully whoever reaches out to me and wherever I go it will most definitely be a positive experience.”

dc_txtech
02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
“Like I said it would be most definitely a fairy tale situation," Rogers said. "But again you just look forward to exploring all opportunities and hopefully whoever reaches out to me and wherever I go it will most definitely be a positive experience.”

Sounds to me like he's going to the highest bidder.

texanfan2002114
02-15-2011, 04:13 PM

You might be right but I like the fact that we already have a great relationship with his agent Kennard McGuire. Kennard is the agent that Andre Johnson hired when his uncle screwed him on the contract and Kennard was able to restructure Dre's deal with the Texans.

He told Dre to go to camp and he would take care of the deal and he did. Hopefully the Texans can strike another deal with Kennard and get Rodgers in H-Town!!

steelbtexan
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM

If you're right Rodgers wont be a Texan.

Texecutioner
02-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I'll go ahead and change my stance that the Texans "NEED" to sign Rogers as long as it isn't for some insane amount of cash just to show the fans that they're actually "trying" to build a winning team. When you've got a guy like this and he's publicly saying he wants to come here and your management team of Smithiak still can't strike a deal and sell this team's potential, then what else more can you say really? We are pretty much past that stage with Smithiak any way, but hell there's a huge DT screaming that he wants to come here and we just went out and got a big name DC, so the least Mcnair and Smithiak could do is bring in some more talent to turn the defense around quickly if winning means a damn thing. Although with all of that being said the Texans seem like the perfect destination for Rogers to land at where he'd continue his laziness and loafing ways where he's over weight and lacking desire.

Haley so far in a very quick amount of time has proven that he can land players and coaches on his team. The guy can sell potential and where they plan on going. Crennell is also the guy that helped to make the trade happen to bring Rogers to Cleveland so they have their relationship that already exists. I'd say they have a very good chance at getting a deal done knowing the history of the last two seasons on what Haley's been able to accomplish in the off season. The Texans have only proven that the opposite. Haley doesn't put up with jack either as far as players not applying themselves. He'd probably be a great HC to have for a guy like Rogers if he can motivate him the way he motivated Dwayne Bowe.

Ryan
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Sign him up.

Corrosion
02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I dont believe any FA action can take place until they get the CBA situation solved , supposedly this affects about a quarter of the leagues players.

I'd give him a shot for the right money tho.

Yankee_In_TX
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
If he will agree to a low paying incentive heavry contract, done deal. If he wants a payday, well, sorry.

texanfan2002114
02-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I dont believe any FA action can take place until they get the CBA situation solved , supposedly this affects about a quarter of the leagues players.

I'd give him a shot for the right money tho.

Your right but your also wrong. He is currently a FA since being cut outright last week and he has until March 3rd to sign a deal or he will have to wait until after the CBA is done to get a deal.

From what I have read, he wants to get a deal done with a team before March 3rd, so you might be able to get him cheaper now because he is rushing into a deal.

"Rogers is a free agent and he can sign with any team through March 3. If/when a lockout commences, Rogers won’t be able to sign with anyone.

As a result, he’s expected to sign somewhere before March 3."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/15/chiefs-visiting-with-shaun-rogers/

steds
02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
How's he played in the last couple of years? Not really seen/heard much since his first year in Cleveland.

gary
02-15-2011, 05:36 PM
How's he played in the last couple of years? Not really seen/heard much since his first year in Cleveland.Not great but he has been hammerd by injuries recently and tends to have motivational problems but he should still have a few good years left in him.

RagingBull
02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Man is this Deja Vu from the Schobel deal that never happend or what? Aging, productive veteran, wants to play for the Texans, Rick Smith won't pay them... Eeerily similar.

JB
02-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Man is this Deja Vu from the Schobel deal that never happend or what? Aging, productive veteran, wants to play for the Texans, Rick Smith won't pay them... Eeerily similar.

Even with hindsight, that is a pretty slanted statement.

Texecutioner
02-15-2011, 05:50 PM
If he will agree to a low paying incentive heavry contract, done deal. If he wants a payday, well, sorry.

Sean Rogers has always been sort of like a Haynesworth type of player without the violent rages where he goes off. Just like Haynesworth he's more of a contract type of player that can't be counted on if he's got a lot of money coming in. I don't see why he'd go with an incentive based contract when he'll get some pretty good money from some team out there.

Norg
02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
im not worried im sure Wade and his team is looking at every NT from top 2 bottom right now and will get the guy he likes .... and we will sign him when the time is right

Texans_Chick
02-15-2011, 06:21 PM
The good news, Rick Smith has done deals with his agent before.

The bad news, do you really think the Texans will sign a name free agent to help the defense? Or a big NT?

:wadepalm:

steelbtexan
02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
im not worried im sure Wade and his team is looking at every NT from top 2 bottom right now and will get the guy he likes .... and we will sign him when the time is right

Nice to see you have such confidence.

ArlingtonTexan
02-15-2011, 06:49 PM

Schobel was either retiring or playing for the dollar amount he wanted (whether that was a fair number or not is speculation that has been over talked about here). Rogers is out with multiple (10 is a number I saw) teams where he is visiting and trying to guage the best place for him. Does not seem that similar to me at all.

steelbtexan
02-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Even with hindsight, that is a pretty slanted statement.

I dont see it as slanted, more like the cold hard truth.

BTW, I'm for not signing Rodgers. Unless the contract is team friendly. However N.D. Kalu speaks very highly of Rodgers. They used to workout every morning at 5:30 am. Kalu says Rodgers is a very hard worker. This has made me re-think my position.

steelbtexan
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
the good news, rick smith has done deals with his agent before.

The bad news, do you really think the texans will sign a name free agent to help the defense? Or a big nt?

lol

Nawzer
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Texans have to spend money to appease the fan base. They have to do what the Bears did last season. I'm not one for signing a lot of high priced free agents, but this year has to be the exception. They have to do something that shows that they are serious about fixing the defense. Shaun Rogers is a good player and would fill a big need and hopefully the Texans will throw money at him to come play for us. Enough with signing street free agents and 7th round draft picks. We need to sign some established veterans and get to work.

CloakNNNdagger
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
An interesting take on Rogers from NFL.com:

Defensive lineman Shaun Rogers is in a unique position as one of a handful of players who are currently true free agents and able to sign with any team before the current CBA expires on March 3. As expected, he’s getting plenty of attention. NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported more than one-third of the league had contacted the 10-year veteran.

Rogers has already visited the Redskins, and reportedly is scheduled to visit the Chiefs Tuesday.

A combination of age (Rogers is 31), cost (he was due $6 million in 2011) and reputation (GM Tom Heckert questioned his attitude and practice habits) made Rogers expendable as the Browns build a young defense.

But “Playbook” analyst Brian Baldinger suggests that Rogers biggest problem was playing out of position in the Browns’ 3-4 defense. The 6-foot-4 Rodgers is not built in the mold of the more stout nose tackles like Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton, making it difficult for him to play inside:

“He’s not a nose tackle. His strength is that as a player who at 350 pounds looks like he should be a nose tackle, is extremely light on his feet and is very athletic. He’s never really learned the nose tackle position. He’s a 4-3 defensive tackle, much like Albert Haynesworth, and that’s really where he’s more effective. Plus, he’s a good pass rusher. His effectiveness is negated at nose tackle. I still think he has some football left in him. He’s never been an every-down player, and most guys his size aren’t. He is what he is, but he’ll give you 30 good plays a game and is still a good player. I think he’ll be a valuable pickup for a lot of teams.”

A three-time Pro Bowler, Rogers played in a 4-3 scheme during his seven seasons in Detroit (2001-07), building a reputation a disruptive interior pass rusher who could penetrate gaps as a three-technique tackle. But many consider his best season to be 2008, when he registered 76 tackles and 4.5 sacks in his first season in Cleveland playing for Romeo Crennel, who currently runs the 3-4 defense in Kansas City.

Rogers may no longer be a player you build a defense around, but there’s little doubt teams will be tempted by his combination of size, talent and athleticism. There’s no shortage of contending 4-3 teams who could use an interior player like Rodgers, who many like Baldinger believe can still be a force.

LINK (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/15/baldinger-rogers-still-valuable/)

gtexan02
02-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Odd. Of the teams listed to be interested in him, namely Chiefs, Redskins and potentially Texans.... all are 3-4 teams

Corrosion
02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
The good news, Rick Smith has done deals with his agent before.

The bad news, do you really think the Texans will sign a name free agent to help the defense? Or a big NT?

Both Gary and Rick are on the hot seat - I expect them to take some chances.

Its now or get run outa town.

2slik4u
02-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Yeah, but wasnt Schobel wanting a ridiculous amount of money???

CloakNNNdagger
02-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Numbers were never released. It was speculative that he wanted "big money." In the end, I would still have to ask myself "big money" by whose standards?

steelbtexan
02-15-2011, 08:53 PM
No pass rush contrbuted to 6-10. Schobel had double digit sacks in 2009.

Schobel was worth the $$$$ if the team was serious about getting to the playoffs.

thunderkyss
02-15-2011, 08:54 PM

Schobel was in no position to ask for "big money." Soon as he said he wouldn't play for anyone but the Texans, he lost any kind of "leverage" he thought he had.

I still think the Texans should have signed him. Can't think of anything other than pride that stopped them, once Bulman & Barwin were done for the season. Nading, Jamison, Anderson..... all off the street, but no Schobel???

Suan Rogers is "saying" the same things. He wants to play in Houston.. maybe the word is still out, that we give enormous sums of money to people with no intention of setting the world on fire.

But everything I've seen/heard/read about Rogers, is that he had an off year & wants to play.

Baldinger's assessment (& I'm not extremely high on Baldy's player evaluations) makes him sound like the right fit for Wade's 1 gap 3-4.

But we won't sign him.

thunderkyss
02-15-2011, 09:02 PM
No pass rush contrbuted to 6-10. Schobel had double digit sacks in 2009.

Schobel was worth the $$$$ if the team was serious about getting to the playoffs.

I think our GM has trouble getting named players to come to Houston. I don't think he's much of a GM.

Schobel was exactly what Smith needed (IMO), the pedigree Smith hasn't been able to bring to this team...... Rogers is the same.

He botched Schobel IMO........ I can't imagine the worst defensive coach ever not wanting Schobel.

dalemurphy
02-15-2011, 10:37 PM
With Mario playing one of the three DL positions, do we really want to add Shaun Rogers to that unit and have 2/3 of our starting defensive line filled with freakish talent that has a mediocre motor and questionable desire to win?

steelbtexan
02-15-2011, 10:47 PM
With Mario playing one of the three DL positions, do we really want to add Shaun Rogers to that unit and have 2/3 of our starting defensive line filled with freakish talent that has a mediocre motor and questionable desire to win?

I wouldn't sign Rodgers.

But would Rodgers be the best DT the Texans have ever Had? Maybe Payne.

This makes me sad. LOL

dalemurphy
02-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't sign Rodgers.

But would Rodgers be the best DT the Texans have ever Had? Maybe Payne.

This makes me sad. LOL

Don't get me started! Deljuan Robinson!! oops... too late.

JMacaroni
02-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Same thing I'm thinking, but with all that talent on the same line they might be above average.

Lucky
02-16-2011, 12:07 AM
I think we just want the Texans to acquire the best players possible. It shouldn't be that hard.
Deljuan Robinson isn't even in the league right now. Our fans infatuation with fringe players amazes me.

dalemurphy
02-16-2011, 07:23 AM
I think we just want the Texans to acquire the best players possible. It shouldn't be that hard.

Deljuan Robinson isn't even in the league right now. Our fans infatuation with fringe players amazes me.

It's not that amazing... Simply the result of being really, really bad at a position for years.

for example, Chicago Bear fans are probably infatuated with Jim McMahon and Jim Miller

BigBull17
02-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Both Gary and Rick are on the hot seat - I expect them to take some chances.

Its now or get run outa town.

Yeah right. Gary will never be fired. He could go 6-10 again and will still have his job. There will always be an excuse.

El Tejano
02-16-2011, 08:25 AM
You sign guys that openly admit they want to play for your team or say it would be a dream situation. Bottom line....that have that kind of talent. Like I said before, Shaun Rogers would immediately help our special teams too. Dude can block kicks.

thunderkyss
02-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Has Rogers' motor been in question for more than just last season?

I haven't followed his career, but I thought he was a beast for most of it, & last year raised some questions. If he's had this reputation for some time, I agree, we don't need this. If it's a relatively new concern, I'm willing to take the chance.

I've been seeing this on this board for some time. I don't really understand it. He looked good at times, I'm not saying he didn't. But he was playing spot duty, a snap here, a snap there.... three on this series. Anytime he was in the game on a more consistent basis, he would disappear. He disappeared at NT (which a lot of DTs do TJ...... )

The thing with Del Juan, was consistency.

GP
02-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Well, Mr. Rogers broke the cardinal rule: You don't tell the Texans you want to play for them...THEY tell you they want you to play for them. Once you signal that you want to play in Houston, you're goose is cooked. You don't act like you know better than Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith.

This collection of nutjobs we've got running the show seem to think they can find talent "in the rough" and then polish it up and showcase it. So far, they have Arian Foster to claim (over a 5-year span of gold digging).

The best defense the Texans have ever fielded was a collection of veteran free agents we acquired in the expansion draft. Their only downfall was father time and a wicked poor offense that couldn't stay on the field and generate points.

Here's a nose tackle, a big one, who says "I want to play for Houston" and unless we haven't heard anything out of the stealthy Texans organization (which is a great possibility) we're not even acknowledging his presence and interest in our team.

(1) I will reference TK's post and say there stands the chance that the Texans do not want to be used as a free agent ATM whereby players know they can get one last payday here. I also think Rogers is too old and has too many problems with his lower body. All of it adds up to be a big no-no by Texans upper management.

(2) Wade Phillips also told McNair he felt he could get it done without adding or changing too much to the defensive personnel we already have. Which was a great way to land the d-coord gig, but has hamstrung him (IMO) on free agent deals like this one.

(3) I think McNair knows the lockout is a certainty. We haven't heard a whiff of Arian Foster getting a new deal constructed, which I think he rightly deserves based on a full year of carving up defenses on a consistent basis and staying healthy all year long. Why would we add someone like Rogers, with the lockout looming overhead?

He's a long shot to be on this team's roster. Too many fringe players out there who would sign for minimum money.

BigBull17
02-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Well, Mr. Rogers broke the cardinal rule: You don't tell the Texans you want to play for them...THEY tell you they want you to play for them. Once you signal that you want to play in Houston, you're goose is cooked. You don't act like you know better than Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith.

This collection of nutjobs we've got running the show seem to think they can find talent "in the rough" and then polish it up and showcase it. So far, they have Arian Foster to claim (over a 5-year span of gold digging).

The best defense the Texans have ever fielded was a collection of veteran free agents we acquired in the expansion draft. Their only downfall was father time and a wicked poor offense that couldn't stay on the field and generate points.

Here's a nose tackle, a big one, who says "I want to play for Houston" and unless we haven't heard anything out of the stealthy Texans organization (which is a great possibility) we're not even acknowledging his presence and interest in our team.

(1) I will reference TK's post and say there stands the chance that the Texans do not want to be used as a free agent ATM whereby players know they can get one last payday here. I also think Rogers is too old and has too many problems with his lower body. All of it adds up to be a big no-no by Texans upper management.

(2) Wade Phillips also told McNair he felt he could get it done without adding or changing too much to the defensive personnel we already have. Which was a great way to land the d-coord gig, but has hamstrung him (IMO) on free agent deals like this one.

(3) I think McNair knows the lockout is a certainty. We haven't heard a whiff of Arian Foster getting a new deal constructed, which I think he rightly deserves based on a full year of carving up defenses on a consistent basis and staying healthy all year long. Why would we add someone like Rogers, with the lockout looming overhead?

He's a long shot to be on this team's roster. Too many fringe players out there who would sign for minimum money.

While I agree we have nut jobs running our system, I'm not to sure Rodgers is worth the hassle. He is a thug who constantly wears out his welcome everywhere he goes. There is a reason he is always shipped out.

thunderkyss
02-16-2011, 08:50 AM

I don't have much of a problem with most of what you said. But Wade didn't have to say crap to land this job.

Wade was going to be working somewhere in the NFL either as a head coach (he might have been the Titans' head coach for all we know) or a DC somewhere.

Kubiak having to talk the talk to land the gig..... I can understand that (especially after being told "sorry, not this time." the first time).....

But not Wade. If that's what he said, then it's because that's what he believes.

GP
02-16-2011, 08:55 AM
You might be right but I like the fact that we already have a great relationship with his agent Kennard McGuire. Kennard is the agent that Andre Johnson hired when his uncle screwed him on the contract and Kennard was able to restructure Dre's deal with the Texans.

He told Dre to go to camp and he would take care of the deal and he did. Hopefully the Texans can strike another deal with Kennard and get Rodgers in H-Town!!

There was an ethical obligation by the Texans to NOT take advantage of Andre Johnson by allowing Andre Johnson's uncle to present and sign a bad deal...even if the deal was not constructed by the Texans.

I fully understand that everyone in that room was a "big boy" and it was ultimately AJ's fault and his uncle's fault that they did a bad deal. But there is also this perception that the Texans are not "money hungry and profit seeking, and certainly not at the expense of others" yet that's what they did with AJ. They exploited the situation. Then turned around and did a better deal with what we all saw was very little opposition to AJ's requests/grumblings.

Morals are "what is," and ethics is concerned with "what 'is' ought to be."

If the Texans want to have a higher standard of ethics, then they can't isolate that to be merely ideals of not signing troublesome players who would tarnish the team's image. They have to also be above the belt when it comes to financial dealings. Most times in life, you get what you pay for.

How they accepted a bad deal from Aj, then turned around and easily did a better deal (by a better agent) speaks volumes, to me, about the morals and ethics of Bob McNair. It tells me they are more about image than substance. Perception rather than reality.

The better, more ethical route to have been taken by Texans higher-ups was to say "Andre, we think the deal you're presenting to us is going to be a problem in a few years. We'd like to look at doing something more. You're the best wide receiver in today's NFL. We've never had a single problem with your work ethic in practice or your effort in games. You are the ideal Texans player. So we were thinking we'd like to do a deal that represents that and shows the rest of the league that we want guys like you."

Do you know how much more that would have done for AJ, if they had told AJ that uncle's contract was too low and would not keep up with the future pace and stylings of wide receiver contracts? It would have been a better beacon of light than McNair saying free agents want to come here because of the facilities and the "great character-driven" Texans organization. Well, we've had Schobel and Rogers--two decent, productive defensive free agents--say they want to play here, but gosh darn it for some reason they don't think Bob's selling points are the deal clincher for them. Go figure, eh?

GP
02-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't have much of a problem with most of what you said. But Wade didn't have to say crap to land this job.

Then why the need to say it, and then make it public knowledge that he said it to McNair?

Look, you're ignoring "patterns." The pattern that has been a proven method is to say you don't need to blow out the bank to get the job done. Ding! You're hired.

He knows all to well what he has to say juuuuust to get his little footsie wootsie into the door here. It's hard to get your foot in the door here, ask Schobel and Rogers (and Cedric Benson, whom Kubiak laughed off the first time around). But once you're in, you're all the way in. That's the uber loyalty that exists in that organization. This team was even uber loyal to Travis Johnson for an eternity when you consider what that guy actually ended up producing over the term of his time here. Same with Kris Brown. Same with Steve Slaton, returning kicks ALL season despite failing miserably at it the whole year.

This team's culture is one of extremes: It's hard to get in, but once you're in it's hard to get booted out. You'd have to turn full traitor on the team to get booted...like that one guy did when he claimed there was contact during a no-contact session of practices. Other than that, it's club med around there. Shuffle board at 2 p.m., cocktails by the pool at 4, dinner and dancing at 6.

Wade knew what to do. It was perfectly orchestrated, and even his dad played a role in setting the table for Wade. You and I know damn well that what we have here, on defense, is not as doable as Wade said it is. So why do you have to ignore that and say that Wade sees something there that we don't? The whole secondary is a wash. The linebackers are an enigma right now, due to Cushing's plight and DeMeco's injury and a few other guys who are fringe players at best, and the defensive line is frustratingly inconsistent to the point you never know if they are going to show up or not.

If you were trying to refute that Wade fibbed a little, I think you need to try harder next time.

texanfan2002114
02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Rodgers next stop is New Orleans, but he did say it would be a "fairy tale" to play for the Texans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/16/shaun-rogers-next-stop-new-orleans/

"Then again, Rogers also said it would be a “fairly tale” to play for the Texans because he grew up in Houston. So previous playoff appearances won’t be a requirement to sign Rogers."

GP
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Rodgers next stop is New Orleans, but he did say it would be a "fairy tale" to play for the Texans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/16/shaun-rogers-next-stop-new-orleans/

"Then again, Rogers also said it would be a “fairly tale” to play for the Texans because he grew up in Houston. So previous playoff appearances won’t be a requirement to sign Rogers."

Starts east (Washington), then works his way west (KC), and further west (New Orleans), and is maybe thinking he can end up in Houston next?

I wonder if this is the plan by him and his agents? Trickle along, slowly, moving further west and not doing a deal with any of those teams, in hopes that it prompts the Texans to meet with him and get a deal done?

Just playing connect-the-dots. Not saying he WILL sign here, nor that he will even have a sit-down with us at all. Just looks like he's creeping westward.

Maybe the Texans have given him a dollar amount, a top dollar, and said to his agent "Go see if you can get more than that, then come back to us if you can't." ??? So he's essentially testing out the market and weighing it against the Texans? Plausible?

Dutchrudder
02-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I thought no team could sign a free agent until the CBA was done? If so, what's the point in flying around interviewing with teams right now?

El Tejano
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
I thought no team could sign a free agent until the CBA was done? If so, what's the point in flying around interviewing with teams right now?

Rogers is a player with exception because he was flat out released.

HOU-TEX
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I've been seeing this on this board for some time. I don't really understand it. He looked good at times, I'm not saying he didn't. But he was playing spot duty, a snap here, a snap there.... three on this series. Anytime he was in the game on a more consistent basis, he would disappear. He disappeared at NT (which a lot of DTs do TJ...... )

The thing with Del Juan, was consistency.

Only from the person you quoted.

infantrycak
02-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Then why the need to say it, and then make it public knowledge that he said it to McNair?

Look, you're ignoring "patterns." The pattern that has been a proven method is to say you don't need to blow out the bank to get the job done. Ding! You're hired.

If you were trying to refute that Wade fibbed a little, I think you need to try harder next time.

Great rants but not hard to refute at all. The Wade comment you are going apoplectic on was made a week or so after he was hired. He was talking about having reviewed a bunch of game film here after hired and concluded there didn't have to be huge personnel changes.

There was an ethical obligation by the Texans to NOT take advantage of Andre Johnson by allowing Andre Johnson's uncle to present and sign a bad deal...even if the deal was not constructed by the Texans.

I fully understand that everyone in that room was a "big boy" and it was ultimately AJ's fault and his uncle's fault that they did a bad deal.

Good lord. There is no ethical obligation to negotiate for the other side only to be honest with them. In addition to his uncle AJ consulted a law professor at the University of Miami. In addition that deal you for some mysterious reason think was so bad it was the equivalent of rape by the Texans made AJ the highest paid WR in the league at the time.

GP
02-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Only from the person you quoted.

Not entirely true.

A Browns fan came on here, over in the NFL section I think, and laid out what the majority of Browns fans felt about Rogers.

In essence, he said Rogers wouldn't maintain assignments...he would abandon his duties on many plays and try to freestyle and Lone Ranger things. This, in the fans' opinions, led to gaps being wide open and allowing huge gains by opposing RBs.

Browns coaches and other higher-ups have said he's a different breed of cat, which could imply he's a free spirit and doesn't take direction well.

The guy is over 30 yrs old, he has questionable wheels (and think about his weight on top of those wheels), an

He was cut by the Browns. He has had times or flashes of doing great work, which some coaches have admitted, but it appears that he's hard to work with. So it's easy to see why there is apprehension among suitors for his services.

Throw in the labor agreement situation, and it's not a good year to be a guy looking for a decent payday. Especially if there are doubts about your work with a previous team.

Could be a gamble that pays off, or could be a disaster in terms of salary cap and potential strife in the locker room. This is a team who needs high-motor self-starting persons on defense, not guys you wonder about. We need disciplined guys, to offset the obligatory Antonio Smith offsides penalty each game that comes at the worst possible time at the end of a game.

Ole Miss Texan
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Schobel was exactly what Smith needed (IMO), the pedigree Smith hasn't been able to bring to this team...... Rogers is the same.

He botched Schobel IMO........ I can't imagine the worst defensive coach ever not wanting Schobel.
I was one that wanted us to sign Schobel but I understand it not happening. Chalk that up to him asking for too much and I agree in not overpaying for him. Instead we got Mark Anderson for a fraction of Schobel's cost. Win Texans, IMO.
You sign guys that openly admit they want to play for your team or say it would be a dream situation. Bottom line....that have that kind of talent. Like I said before, Shaun Rogers would immediately help our special teams too. Dude can block kicks.
I don't put a whole lot of stock in players playing the "I want to play for the Texans" game. Good to hear but that really means little once it comes to other teams ponying up $'s, or a better team wanting to pay him the same, etc. You never know the true intention. Leigh Bodden wanted to play for us...

I fully understand that everyone in that room was a "big boy" and it was ultimately AJ's fault and his uncle's fault that they did a bad deal. But there is also this perception that the Texans are not "money hungry and profit seeking, and certainly not at the expense of others" yet that's what they did with AJ. They exploited the situation. Then turned around and did a better deal with what we all saw was very little opposition to AJ's requests/grumblings.
You and others will find ANYTHING to ***** about what a bad job our front office is doing or has done. The original AJ contract case in point. It was a dumb business move in AJ's part but the Texans weren't morally or ethically repulsive in proceeding. AJ's original contract, I believe, made him the highest paid WR in the league at that time or damn near it. His average $'s per year were in line with the franchise tag number only his contract was for like 6 years. The Texans didn't royally screw AJ, they paid him very well. Continuous rookie contract/guaranteed pmt inflation over the years is what has screwed AJ as well as every other veteran player. Don't give me this bullsh*t about the Texans being morally obligated business.

thunderkyss
02-16-2011, 11:20 AM

I believe they said what they said when they said it, because that's what they believed. Before we got a hint that Wade was the guy, McNair was saying we're going to be active in FA.

Before Wade started talking about how our current players could fit into his system, McNair & Kubiak were saying we were going to get him what he wanted, whether that was in the draft or FA.

People asked Wade about Mario & he told him what he thought about Mario. They asked him about needing a big bodied NT & he said he has had success with smallish NTs...... even has a Hall-of-Famer at the position who would have been considered "smallish."

They asked him about Quin he told them what he thought about Quin.

They asked about playing Cushing inside/outside, he told him what he thought.

I don't think Wade has ever come out & said, "We've got the talent to get it done, don't need anything else."

What you're expecting him to say pretty much boils down to, "We'll be looking to draft a rush OLB with our first pick & a big body NT with our second, etc....." & that's just not going to happen.

thunderkyss
02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Starts east (Washington), then works his way west (KC), and further west (New Orleans), and is maybe thinking he can end up in Houston next?

He might not make it past New Orleans if he really believes he is a 4-3 DT.

But if he leaves New Orleans, then we have to wonder why? Why hadn't Washington, KC, & NO (a 4-3 team) passed on him?

GP
02-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Good lord. There is no ethical obligation to negotiate for the other side only to be honest with them. In addition to his uncle AJ consulted a law professor at the University of Miami. In addition that deal you for some mysterious reason think was so bad it was the equivalent of rape by the Texans made AJ the highest paid WR in the league at the time.

Ethics can be in business too. I highlight this because if anything we have been told to believe about the Texans (by the Texans, I remind you) is that they are a character-driven organization who is above the muckity-muck of other swindling and elixir selling teams out there.

Yes, they made him the highest paid AT THAT TIME...which is not much when you consider that pro sports athletes can become the highest paid "at that time" and be underpaid, when graded against more recent contracts of other premiere players in the same position, before the contract expires.

I would have been looking for the Texans to give the sort of money that doesn't just last the entirety of the contract's lifetime, but would outperform even the most recent deal another WR could have landed elsewhere. However, this is tricky because a deal done today can be outdone the next month or year when another team's WR decides he should get x-amount because AJ got x-amount: In short, it hampers other NFL owners because an outrageous deal done for AJ means $$$ headaches for other owners. All the more reason for Bob McNair to NOT give AJ more than what AJ and AJ's uncle thought was a fair deal at the time.

Business can be done with higher ethics, too. We see all the time where businessmen overpay employees in comparison to the industry standard, mostly because they want to retain good employees and they honestly believe THEIR guy is more valuable than the competitor's guy.

In a related note: IF, and it's a huge IF, the government and American-owned businesses could ever find a way to cut business owner's taxes while passing on profits to the employees, it would be a huge boost to the economy and to worker pride. Can you imagine EVERY employee being given the chance to earn bonuses and take home more money due to their performance and sales increases? That's more income to spend. This would be an example of higher ethics because it gives the employees something more to shoot for rather than the current standard (morals) of "If I show up, I get paid."

Andre Johnson, out of anybody else on this team and arguably in the entire NFL, deserves to have been treated more fairly than he was. That's why there's a disconnect when Bob and his team of P.R. guys keep piling on the propaganda that the Texans are above and beyond other franchises. He's one of the ones most dedicated to getting an owner-friendly CBA, too.

I'm not saying he is totally unethical. I am saying he's not nearly as saintly as he's being painted by his apologists who scream "Be thankful he brought NFL back to Houston!" and other niceties about our dear uncle Bob.

thunderkyss
02-16-2011, 11:24 AM

The problem, is that most players are not FA yet. They won't be FA until after the current CBA expires. Which is why teams can't talk to or sign them.

Rogers was cut, any of the players that were cut (several by the Browns) are free to talk & sign with whomever they want, before the CBA expires.

GP
02-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Don't give me this bullsh*t about the Texans being morally obligated business.

You most likely feel this repulsion toward my statement because you, and others (even myself), have been engrained to believe that you gotta' screw someone first BEFORE they get a chance to do harm to you.

For the most part, there is a dormant ethical system that needs to be revived in this country. There's a dog-eat-dog mentality in this country that has saturated our everyday lives. We've isolated oursleves and decided that we can't be the ones responsible for helping one another out...no, instead we have to let goverment and other entities legislate such things to the point that we have a nanny state which decides what is fair and what is not.

Had the Texans BALKED at AJ's recent request to re-do his previous deal, then that would have spoken volumes, IMO. Instead, there was none of the stiff-arming that you saw other Texans players receive 9such as DeMeco and OD). In contrast, the Texans practically sprinted to the table and got the deal done. That appears, to me, to be a quiet admission on the behalf of the Texans that they knew they could do better by AJ.

Which begs the question; Why not do the very BEST deal you can, years ago, and then today stand up to the player and say "Uh, no thanks. We gave you the best we could give you. And you know that."

Once again: I do not think the Texans, which includes Bob, are 100% unethical. I just am saying that there is NOT the absence of distasteful handling in that organization. And now he's one of the ones who is most in favor of the owner-friendly deal. With the way his franchise is ranked as being one of the more profitable franchises, he ought to be tempering his stance and perhaps even being a true leader and calling for more decorum from the owners and for listening to the players with better ears.

There's an opportunity here for McNair to show he's a leader, a bigger leader than other owners, and he's pretty silent thus far. His face could be plastered on all the media TV screens, proposing an olive branch for both sides. I'm disappointed in him, and in other owners right now. And I'm disappointed in Roger Goodell too.

Ole Miss Texan
02-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Ethics can be in business too. I highlight this because if anything we have been told to believe about the Texans (by the Texans, I remind you) is that they are a character-driven organization who is above the muckity-muck of other swindling and elixir selling teams out there.

Yes, they made him the highest paid AT THAT TIME...which is not much when you consider that pro sports athletes can become the highest paid "at that time" and be underpaid, when graded against more recent contracts of other premiere players in the same position, before the contract expires.

I would have been looking for the Texans to give the sort of money that doesn't just last the entirety of the contract's lifetime, but would outperform even the most recent deal another WR could have landed elsewhere. However, this is tricky because a deal done today can be outdone the next month or year when another team's WR decides he should get x-amount because AJ got x-amount: In short, it hampers other NFL owners because an outrageous deal done for AJ means $$$ headaches for other owners. All the more reason for Bob McNair to NOT give AJ more than what AJ and AJ's uncle thought was a fair deal at the time.

Business can be done with higher ethics, too. We see all the time where businessmen overpay employees in comparison to the industry standard, mostly because they want to retain good employees and they honestly believe THEIR guy is more valuable than the competitor's guy.

In a related note: IF, and it's a huge IF, the government and American-owned businesses could ever find a way to cut business owner's taxes while passing on profits to the employees, it would be a huge boost to the economy and to worker pride. Can you imagine EVERY employee being given the chance to earn bonuses and take home more money due to their performance and sales increases? That's more income to spend. This would be an example of higher ethics because it gives the employees something more to shoot for rather than the current standard (morals) of "If I show up, I get paid."

Andre Johnson, out of anybody else on this team and arguably in the entire NFL, deserves to have been treated more fairly than he was. That's why there's a disconnect when Bob and his team of P.R. guys keep piling on the propaganda that the Texans are above and beyond other franchises. He's one of the ones most dedicated to getting an owner-friendly CBA, too.

I'm not saying he is totally unethical. I am saying he's not nearly as saintly as he's being painted by his apologists who scream "Be thankful he brought NFL back to Houston!" and other niceties about our dear uncle Bob.

:hankpalm:

thunderkyss
02-16-2011, 11:39 AM
I was one that wanted us to sign Schobel but I understand it not happening. Chalk that up to him asking for too much and I agree in not overpaying for him. Instead we got Mark Anderson for a fraction of Schobel's cost. Win Texans, IMO.

I know it's not fair to go back & talk about what would have happened. If we got Schobel, good chance we don't pick up Anderson...

Tim Jamison saw playing time though, so I'd like to think we would have had both. Remember, we lost Bullman & Barwin.

I think our DL rotation would have been a lot better, if we had Mario, Anotnio, Schobel, & Anderson.....

Imagine if we also went ahead & cut Okam (like we did) & brought Lewis in to rotate with Cody, Okoye, & Mitchell, along with said 4 man DE rotation.

GP
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
He might not make it past New Orleans if he really believes he is a 4-3 DT.

But if he leaves New Orleans, then we have to wonder why? Why hadn't Washington, KC, & NO (a 4-3 team) passed on him?

A far-fetched reason is that he's over-valuing himself. I speculated that maybe he already has an offer from the Texans and was told to shop around to see if he could get more. This speculation is a real reach, I know it is, but at least I'm actually giving the Texans a benefit of the doubt (for a change), right? I'm at least saying there is a CHANCE that we want him and yet wanted to cap our contract with him and have given him time to shop around.

I say this because he keeps dropping our name. As if he's saying to fans and other people "Hang in there, I'm still wanting to go to Houston..."

Another reason might be because he potentially has almost no value at all. I can dismiss the Redskins because they screwed the pooch on Haynesworth and don't want a repeat of that disaster on their hands. Why he left the Chiefs could be a number of things--He might have an offer that we don't know about, though, and is still shopping around. He probably won't make it past the Saints. I think Greg Williams will take a chance on him and thinks he can light a fire under him in New Orleans. Whether they overpay for him, or if KC overpays for him, is another thing. I think he hasn't found the $$$ he wants, which might be out of line with what teams value him at? I dunno.

You theorized this with Cowher too: "Why didn't any other team make a serious run at Cowher?" Lots of scenarios, and more than just the theory that he's seen as being overvalued. What if Cowher didn't like what he saw elsewhere, and wouldn't go there for all the money in the world? Some people are motivated by more than just the dollars.

Ole Miss Texan
02-16-2011, 11:49 AM
You most likely feel this repulsion toward my statement because you, and others (even myself), have been engrained to believe that you gotta' screw someone first BEFORE they get a chance to do harm to you.

For the most part, there is a dormant ethical system that needs to be revived in this country. There's a dog-eat-dog mentality in this country that has saturated our everyday lives. We've isolated oursleves and decided that we can't be the ones responsible for helping one another out...no, instead we have to let goverment and other entities legislate such things to the point that we have a nanny state which decides what is fair and what is not.

Had the Texans BALKED at AJ's recent request to re-do his previous deal, then that would have spoken volumes, IMO. Instead, there was none of the stiff-arming that you saw other Texans players receive 9such as DeMeco and OD). In contrast, the Texans practically sprinted to the table and got the deal done. That appears, to me, to be a quiet admission on the behalf of the Texans that they knew they could do better by AJ.

Which begs the question; Why not do the very BEST deal you can, years ago, and then today stand up to the player and say "Uh, no thanks. We gave you the best we could give you. And you know that."

Once again: I do not think the Texans, which includes Bob, are 100% unethical. I just am saying that there is NOT the absence of distasteful handling in that organization. And now he's one of the ones who is most in favor of the owner-friendly deal. With the way his franchise is ranked as being one of the more profitable franchises, he ought to be tempering his stance and perhaps even being a true leader and calling for more decorum from the owners and for listening to the players with better ears.

There's an opportunity here for McNair to show he's a leader, a bigger leader than other owners, and he's pretty silent thus far. His face could be plastered on all the media TV screens, proposing an olive branch for both sides. I'm disappointed in him, and in other owners right now. And I'm disappointed in Roger Goodell too.
I agree with you on the fact that morals and ethics should play a larger part in the world of business. I totally agree with this and despise when people are deceitful.

But I cannot agree with you on painting the Texans as bad guys when they originally made AJ the highest paid WR in the league when he was an 18 year old unproven rookie. They paid him his dues then. They didn't royally screw him. They paid him what the "market value" was at that time. AJ's side wanted extra years on the contract, maybe a safe or conservative approach. If AJ got injured and couldn't play, he likely would have received more money than he otherwise would have. That's one reason why players don't like such short term contracts... even though in 2-3 years they would be free to negotiate the new market value of his services. That value could go up or down.

Let's put this in real estate terms. There are 50 parcels of land all relatively very similar for comparison purposes. These are all being sold for $100,000 each. I as a buyer/payer... go to the R/E developer and say "you know what, you're getting $100K for these, I'm going to give you $150K because that's probably the more recent market value for this property and that makes this the most expensive lot or purchase price of all lots in this development." What you're proposing though is for say, the Texans, to go in there and say, "These are $100K each. Instead of giving you $150K (a 50% mark up) which could be market value now.... instead I'm going to give you $500K for it. Because I think in 5 years, that's what people will pay you for the other lots."

:shakeshead:

infantrycak
02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
But I cannot agree with you on painting the Texans as bad guys when they originally made AJ the highest paid WR in the league when he was an 18 year old unproven rookie. They paid him his dues then. They didn't royally screw him. They paid him what the "market value" was at that time.

For clarity in this discussion, the contract which was just redone was AJ's second contract. He had a rookie contract which made him one of the highest paid WR's in the league. Then with 2+ years remaining on his rookie contract they entered into a new deal which made him the highest paid WR in the league I believe after the 2007 season. At the time AJ was not regarded as the best WR in the league.

gary
02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
For clarity in this discussion, the contract which was just redone was AJ's second contract. He had a rookie contract which made him one of the highest paid WR's in the league. Then with 2+ years remaining on his rookie contract they entered into a new deal which made him the highest paid WR in the league I believe after the 2007 season. At the time AJ was not regarded as the best WR in the league.
I think there is more informaton about AJ in this thread rather than Shaun Rogers. LOL

GP
02-16-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree with you on the fact that morals and ethics should play a larger part in the world of business. I totally agree with this and despise when people are deceitful.

But I cannot agree with you on painting the Texans as bad guys when they originally made AJ the highest paid WR in the league when he was an 18 year old unproven rookie. They paid him his dues then. They didn't royally screw him. They paid him what the "market value" was at that time. AJ's side wanted extra years on the contract, maybe a safe or conservative approach. If AJ got injured and couldn't play, he likely would have received more money than he otherwise would have. That's one reason why players don't like such short term contracts... even though in 2-3 years they would be free to negotiate the new market value of his services. That value could go up or down.

Let's put this in real estate terms. There are 50 parcels of land all relatively very similar for comparison purposes. These are all being sold for $100,000 each. I as a buyer/payer... go to the R/E developer and say "you know what, you're getting $100K for these, I'm going to give you $150K because that's probably the more recent market value for this property and that makes this the most expensive lot or purchase price of all lots in this development." What you're proposing though is for say, the Texans, to go in there and say, "These are $100K each. Instead of giving you $150K (a 50% mark up) which could be market value now.... instead I'm going to give you $500K for it. Because I think in 5 years, that's what people will pay you for the other lots."

:shakeshead:

I don't think I would use the comparison of a piece of land to the value of a human, but that's just me. I don't think that's a good analogy, IMO.

Land is valued for many reasons, and if a person bid OVER the asking price, since the land is highly sought after and has many suitors, then I could foresee giving more than the original asking price.

I don't want to get bogged down in analogies, though.

My assertion is my thoughts on the matter. I just happen to think that McNair is not leading this organization in the best way he could. He's not a snakeoil salesman, but he's no saint either.

Ole Miss Texan
02-16-2011, 12:12 PM
2003- Rookie contract for 6 years. Made him one of the highest paid WRs in the league.
2007 - Like you said, 2 years remaining. Texans extended him another 6 years and upped the pay. Continuing to make him one of the highest paid WRs in the league.
2010 - Renegotiated contract and got 2 more years extended to it. This made him the highest paid WR in NFL History.

The Texans really need to quit screwing this guy and start paying...

Ole Miss Texan
02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
I think there is more informaton about AJ in this thread rather than Shaun Rogers. LOL

That's because he's better. haha :bubbles:

thunderkyss
02-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't think I would use the comparison of a piece of land to the value of a human, but that's just me. I don't think that's a good analogy, IMO.

Land is valued for many reasons, and if a person bid OVER the asking price, since the land is highly sought after and has many suitors, then I could foresee giving more than the original asking price.

I don't want to get bogged down in analogies, though.

My assertion is my thoughts on the matter. I just happen to think that McNair is not leading this organization in the best way he could. He's not a snakeoil salesman, but he's no saint either.

I'm reading this post.... shaking my head.

Then I got to thinking, "What if most people read my posts, & think of me the way I'm thinking of you."

:truck:

gary
02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
That's because he's better. haha :bubbles:There is not any doubt about that.

GP
02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm reading this post.... shaking my head.

Then I got to thinking, "What if most people read my posts, & think of me the way I'm thinking of you."

:truck:

Oh, I think it's worse than you can possibly imagine, TK.

ATXtexanfan
02-16-2011, 01:15 PM
believe it when i see it

El Tejano
02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Since we are talking more about AJ than Rogers anyway and because he's an interior DL:

Bills | Marcus Stroud released
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:56:39 -0800

The Buffalo Bills have released DL Marcus Stroud, reports Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: BuffaloBills.com - Chris Brown

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1E9qK42qs

scourge
02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Not entirely true.

A Browns fan came on here, over in the NFL section I think, and laid out what the majority of Browns fans felt about Rogers.

He was referring to DaleMurphy's serious man-crush on DelJuan Robinson, not Rogers

Texecutioner
02-16-2011, 03:27 PM
He was referring to DaleMurphy's serious man-crush on DelJuan Robinson, not Rogers

A Browns fan did come in here and give his own take on Rogers. Not that he was the end all be all or anything. Anyone who knows just the smallest information about Rogers knows that he's had a lot of struggles throughout his career and hasn't lived up to his potential or his pay.

CloakNNNdagger
02-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Since Rob Ryan is now with the Cowboys, don't be surprised if they don't give Rogers more than just a sniff. In the past, they have enjoyed a mutual admiration society relationship.

ArlingtonTexan
02-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Since we are talking more about AJ than Rogers anyway and because he's an interior DL:

Bills | Marcus Stroud released
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:56:39 -0800

The Buffalo Bills have released DL Marcus Stroud, reports Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: BuffaloBills.com - Chris Brown

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1E9qK42qs

The speculation that I have heard from Bills fans on another message board is that Stroud was not very good in the 3-4

texanchris
02-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Since we're abit off topic anyway, would you guys be willing to give up 2 first rounders for Ngata from the ravens?

steelbtexan
02-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Since we're abit off topic anyway, would you guys be willing to give up 2 first rounders for Ngata from the ravens?

In a heartbeat.

ATXtexanfan
02-16-2011, 07:38 PM

dont see us doing it

NitroGSXR
02-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Of course Rodgers wants to come here. Think about it... Kubiak and Phillips are both notorious for having soft practices.

Kubiak + Phillips = Livin' large with Cristal at practice.

Hell... I'd wanna work for the Texans too...

dalemurphy
02-16-2011, 11:46 PM

I have played up the crush somewhat the past year, or so. However, it is to make a point. One of the major failings of the organization the past 3-4 years has been its inability to assess its personnel within the organization. Deljuan is one of many examples I could use where the better player has been passed over in playing time for the lesser player and eventually dropped from the roster for a lesser player. Positions most affected: G, DT, CB, S, RB.

Texans_Chick
02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Schefter reported this morning that after Rogers' visit to the Saints, he doesn't have any more visits planned.

You see, if a player WANTS to come play for the Texans, the Texans will have no interest in them.

It's an inverse of the Groucho Marx quote, "Why would I want to belong to a club that would have me?"

GP
02-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Schefter reported this morning that after Rogers' visit to the Saints, he doesn't have any more visits planned.

You see, if a player WANTS to come play for the Texans, the Texans will have no interest in them.

It's an inverse of the Groucho Marx quote, "Why would I want to belong to a club that would have me?"

I've been saying this for about two years now. People think I'm crazy.

Here I thought McNair said he wants free agents to desire to come here because of all that we have going on and because our facilities are top-notch. Then they say they want to be here, and what happens.....

(Sigh)

This makes me think McNair has little input and influence upon the football side of the franchise. He;s saying he wants free agents to flock here, and his goon squad stiff arms them. There's a disconnect.

steelbtexan
02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
I've been saying this for about two years now. People think I'm crazy.

Here I thought McNair said he wants free agents to desire to come here because of all that we have going on and because our facilities are top-notch. Then they say they want to be here, and what happens.....

(Sigh)

This makes me think McNair has little input and influence upon the football side of the franchise. He;s saying he wants free agents to flock here, and his goon squad stiff arms them. There's a disconnect.

If you believe BoB has little or no input over the football side of the franchise. You're kidding yourself.

I just love how McNair has sold his organization to its fanbase. McNair has nothing to do with the football side. Including signing FA's,renewing contracts etc... (LOL) Smith even though he's the GM doesn't have say over who's drafted and you cant quite pinpoint exactly what his job is. Maybe it's to negociate contracts. (although I think they hired a lawyer and gave him a title to do that) His job as far as I can tell is to add street FA's during the season. (I thought that was Bobby Greirs job)

Garys job appears to be to draft players on the offensive side of the ball and serve as HC. We dont know his role as to who makes and doesn't make the final roster.

Man it's a wonder that this franchise isn't in worse shape than it already is in. Considering how dysfunctional it's being run. BoB needs to run his franchise with clear defined roles and alot more transparency if this franchise is ever going to be a winner. Unfortunately this wont be happening anytime soon it appears.

Meanwhile I just renewed my season tickets. If there is a season next yr. LOL

Thanks BoB

infantrycak
02-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Man it's a wonder that this franchise isn't in worse shape than it already is in. Considering how dysfunctional it's being run. BoB needs to run his franchise with clear defined roles and alot more transparency if this franchise is ever going to be a winner. Unfortunately this wont be happening anytime soon it appears.

Us not knowing doesn't mean clear defined roles don't exist. And transparency to fans has nothing to do with wins and losses.

Double Barrel
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Us not knowing doesn't mean clear defined roles don't exist. And transparency to fans has nothing to do with wins and losses.

yeah, Charlie Palilo was talking about this the other day. He said this team has a KGB-like secrecy about the way it operates. Nobody has ever been able to penetrate the 'wall of secrecy' in 9 years, so we can only speculate based upon tiny fragments of information gleaned from various sources and interviews.

I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing, but it sure makes for some rather interesting conversations and debates with fans and media trying to pinpoint accountability, responsibility, and blame for the state of things.

It's probably by design, though, as there appears (to me) a corporate architecture within this franchise's foundational structure. CEO McNair hires pros to run his operation within certain guidelines of the corporate mission statement. If operational decisions are dictatorial from Kubiak or by committee is anyone's guess right now. It might even be a combo of both depending on the specific issue.

thunderkyss
02-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm sure there are questions to how I run my crew. I've got different departmentheads, and people from those other departments wanting me to make a public spectacle.

I hold all my people accountable, they know they are accountable to me. They appreciate that I treat them like adults, and don't go out of my way to shame or discredit them. I've had to let some people go, because they weren't any good I've let some go because they weren't good enough. I've still got some that aren't good enough, but are my "only" option right now.

I don't have a problem with the amount of transparency or lack thereof in the Texans' organization. I think itaks silly to expect more.

infantrycak
02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
yeah, Charlie Palilo was talking about this the other day. He said this team has a KGB-like secrecy about the way it operates. Nobody has ever been able to penetrate the 'wall of secrecy' in 9 years, so we can only speculate based upon tiny fragments of information gleaned from various sources and interviews.

I don't think it comes from McNair (well at least not initially) and I disagree with Palilo as it seems to me the information from the two regimes has been very different. Casserly was loquacious and friendly with the media. Kubiak like Shanahan and Belichick wants nothing more to do with the media than they have to. I'm really don't understand why folks think they would tell a lot of the details. If they did it would just be grounds for carping with "oh great leader he threw X under the bus" or "so McNair is cheap because he would only offer $8.5 mil instead of $9." Like a watch I assume I won't know how the internals are working. I just want it to work. Last season the Texans did not. They changed a big cog. We'll see if it was enough.

Texanmike02
02-17-2011, 12:42 PM
BoB needs to run his franchise with clear defined roles and alot more transparency if this franchise is ever going to be a winner. Unfortunately this wont be happening anytime soon it appears.

Signed Patriots fans

Double Barrel
02-17-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't think it comes from McNair (well at least not initially) and I disagree with Palilo as it seems to me the information from the two regimes has been very different. Casserly was loquacious and friendly with the media. Kubiak like Shanahan and Belichick wants nothing more to do with the media than they have to. I'm really don't understand why folks think they would tell a lot of the details. If they did it would just be grounds for carping with "oh great leader he threw X under the bus" or "so McNair is cheap because he would only offer $8.5 mil instead of $9." Like a watch I assume I won't know how the internals are working. I just want it to work. Last season the Texans did not. They changed a big cog. We'll see if it was enough.

I agree with you. As fans we would like to know what's up, but it's not a right to be expected. It's more of a luxury to know these things, and from my own perspective, it's mainly because I enjoy seeing all the aspects of pro football operations.

But like I mentioned, transparency or lack of is not necessarily a good or bad thing. It is what it is and changes over time. It certainly wasn't a criticism from me in that post.

Definitely in agreement about your last point. I just want it to work, regardless if we know how it works or not.

It's kinda' funny you mention Belichick, though. While certainly bland to the media, if you watched the NFLN's "Sound FX" on him, he's clearly much deeper and much more hands on with actual coaching of players than many of us probably realized. I'd like to see the same program on Kubiak, just for my own curiosity, not for anything else but entertainment purposes.

infantrycak
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
It's kinda' funny you mention Belichick, though. While certainly bland to the media, if you watched the NFLN's "Sound FX" on him, he's clearly much deeper and much more hands on with actual coaching of players than many of us probably realized. I'd like to see the same program on Kubiak, just for my own curiosity, not for anything else but entertainment purposes.

My Belichick point was strictly on transparency. He is renowned for either giving no information or dis-information. I would be interested in seeing the same kind of thing on Kubiak. I suspect he would be different than many expectations.

RazorOye
02-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Apparently the interest the Saints have is more than just a "kicking the tires" sort of passing one; they're very interested. We need a space eater alongside Sedrick Ellis big time. Ellis a pro-bowl quality DT - led the team in sacks and is very athletic. But he needs a bigger body next to him

Rogers wrecked the interior of our OLine earlier this year. Nicks and Goodwin (a bit overrated imo, though) and Evans are Pro-Bowl OL. And Rogers dominated them and forced Brees into some of the ugliest decisions I've ever seen him make.

I'd like to see him as a Saint. Our front 7 lacks talent and our DLine, specifically, depth.

But - at what cost? We have more potential FAs than any other team I believe - we're up there, anyway.

So if Rogers is looking for 6-8 mil/year, I don't know that he'll find it in New Orleans. But Williams is apparently intrigued.

I'd like to get him - really like to get him if we get a performance like he turned in against us - but I don't know that it happens, tbh.

playa465
02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
We need a space eater alongside Sedrick Ellis big time. Ellis a pro-bowl quality DT - led the team in sacks and is very athletic. But he needs a bigger body next to him

Kinda like I have always thought a space eater next to AO would allow him to flourish, but thats not what Bush and Kollar wanted

Double Barrel
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
There is always the possibility that Wade told them not to bother with Rogers, too.

panamamyers
02-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Please, please, please make this happen.
You think he wouldn't be motivated to play this close to his hometown?