PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Guru Mike Mayock also had Kareem rated ahead of Devin McCourty

IDEXAN
02-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Cornerbacks
Rk Player School
1 Joe Haden* Florida
2 Kyle Wilson Boise State
3 Kareem Jackson* Alabama
4 Devin McCourty Rutgers
5 Patrick Robinson Florida State
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81769691/article/shuffle-occurs-at-cornerback-in-latest-positional-rankings
&&&
This rankings position rating was dated in early April of last year, just a short ime from the Draft.
If you follow the Draft like a lot of us do, you know Moyoc is "the man",
and definitely if you look at DBacks because that's where he played in college
and the NFL.
So Smith-Kubiak weren't by themselves when it came to rating Jackson a better prospect than McCourty, who ended up in the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

badboy
02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Cornerbacks
Rk Player School
1 Joe Haden* Florida
2 Kyle Wilson Boise State
3 Kareem Jackson* Alabama
4 Devin McCourty Rutgers
5 Patrick Robinson Florida State
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81769691/article/shuffle-occurs-at-cornerback-in-latest-positional-rankings
&&&
This rankings position rating was dated in early April of last year, just a short ime from the Draft.
If you follow the Draft like a lot of us do, you know Moyoc is "the man",
and definitely if you look at DBacks because that's where he played in college
and the NFL.
So Smith-Kubiak weren't by themselves when it came to rating Jackson a better prospect than McCourty, who ended up in the Pro Bowl as a rookie.And Mayock was wrong also.

Carr Bombed
02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Mike Mayock would like to have that one back. :vincepalm:

IDEXAN
02-12-2011, 02:01 PM
And Mayock was wrong also.

Maybe. Ok, probably but not for sure ? It's still way too soon to write the
final analysis on his NFL career.
The thing that still puzzles me the most about Kareem is his apparent lack of "deep-speed". I watched the NFL Combine on the NFL network last year just as Mayoc, who was there reporting on it for the NFL Net, watched it and saw Jackson run an official sub 4.5 40 like McCourtny did. The top CB
Haden from FLA was the guy who ran the slow 40 at Indy and had to make amends for it at his Pro day if you happen to recall ?

beerlover
02-12-2011, 02:09 PM
why why why :hankpalm:

OK I'm OK... brings up interesting point doesn't it, who to believe?

DRAFTNASTY.COM CB LIST of 2010
Rank Player Name Playable Positions College Rating - Grade Year
1 Eric Berry CB S Tennessee 7.007- 1st Round 2010
2 Patrick Robinson CB Florida State 6.755 - 1st Round 2010
3 Devin McCourty CB RET Rutgers 6.54 - 1st Round 2010
4 Kyle Wilson CB RET Boise State 6.54 - 1st Round 2010
5 Joe Haden CB Florida 6.51 - 1st Round 2010
6 Earl Thomas CB S Texas 6.402 - 2nd Round 2010
7 Kareem Jackson CB Alabama 6.36 - 2nd Round 2010

JB
02-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Scott Wright of Draft Countdown also had them the same way.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/archive/2010/2010-Rankings.php#cb

rickyb
02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
What if the primary problem is not our FO's collective inability to rank/rate talent, but rather is our (former defensive) coaches' inability to coach and develop talent?

Food for thought. :roast:

IDEXAN
02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Draftnasty has Patrick Robinson rated ahead of everybody but Berry !
Wow, that is terribly lacking in judgement & perception.

beerlover
02-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Draftnasty has Patrick Robinson rated ahead of everybody but Berry !
Wow, that is terribly lacking in judgement & perception.

very similar player to Tracy Porter who had tremendous impact early on out of Indiana taken early 2nd rd. 2008, followed up with first rounder Malcolm Jenkins, similar physical corner to Kareem Jackson. Robinson fought injury more than anything, overall the Saints pass defense ranked 4th best in the league while Texans ranked....wait for it....wait.....dead last.

jaayteetx
02-12-2011, 04:08 PM
What if the primary problem is not our FO's collective inability to rank/rate talent, but rather is our (former defensive) coaches' inability to coach and develop talent?

Exactamundo!

Dutchrudder
02-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing Kareem with a new DB coach and DC next year. I hope that they will be able to coach him up better than the last regime.

CloakNNNdagger
02-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Never once crossed my mind.:shots:

IDEXAN
02-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing Kareem with a new DB coach and DC next year. I hope that they will be able to coach him up better than the last regime.
Plus maybe some real heat up front on the QB from Wade's 3-4 pass rush
will give us a different perspective on Kareem and other DBacks ?

m5kwatts
02-12-2011, 05:27 PM
It's ridiculous beyond words to judge Kareem as harshly as you all have after just his rookie year. No rookie corner is gonna blow it up. You realize McCourty was a part of one of the 5 worst secondaries in football and got toasted his fair share too?

It's especially ridiculous to judge Kareem as harshly as you all have given the coaching he had. Give Kareem more than just his rookie year before we jump the gun.

Lucky
02-12-2011, 06:54 PM
It's especially ridiculous to judge Kareem as harshly as you all have given the coaching he had. Give Kareem more than just his rookie year before we jump the gun.
I think it's more like judging the people who drafted and coached Jackson. Obviously, Kareem gets another opportunity with a new coach in a new system. But, it's totally fair to point out how McCourty was a success right out of the box, while Jackson was an utter failure. McCourty >>>> Jackson in 2010. To claim otherwise is ridiculous.

76Texan
02-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.
At other times, when you're pretty good and lucky at the same time, it's even better!

This is what I posted in another thread (in the mock draft forum):

You guys must remember that McCourty played mostly as a cover 2 corner for the Pats (sometimes he would be in cover 3.)
Regardless of the scheme, he had more safeties' help than Jackson.

I reviewed at least 7 of the Pats' games.
When I looked at the defensive alignment, I noticed this:
Let's say the offense is in single back so that there 2 receiving threats on each side.
At least 90% of the time, you can count on more defenders to be on McCourty's side (or shading toward McCourty's side).
A DT putting a hand up in the passing lane is also of great help to the CB, let's not forget that.
Even when they played 2 deep safeties, from time to time, the second safety would shade over a little so that the main supporting safety (to McCourty) can be of more help to the rookie.

I had analyzed one of McCourty's game before on this board.

Also, I just went back and look at some plays in another game (Chargers) just now.
I will try to come back to it soon to show why McCourty was put in position to succeed in some of those plays, and was lucky to avoid giving up a TD in another play.

playa465
02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
The debate on last year's rookie corners is mute. We have Kareem and must move on with it. The shameful part is that something has been broken in player development on our D. We all can see it and hopefully that will change...my expectations will not be high though until we can consistently put a winning squad on the field. On another note, are we really as talented as we think, I think there was a thread about that before. The Texans supposedly have one of the best scouting departments in the NFL so the $M question is why have we been mediocre? Coaching (system) vs players

JB
02-12-2011, 08:01 PM
The Texans supposedly have one of the biggest scouting departments in the NFL so the $M question is why have we been mediocre? Coaching (system) vs players

Fify

Spled
02-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Kareem was getting better in the last part of the season.

76Texan
02-13-2011, 12:25 AM
As promised, here are some breakdowns of McCourty's play.
These are from the Chargers game.

Play one to start the game.
1-10 After motion, the Chargers ended up in a single back set (RB directly behind QB);
on the left side, they have 2 receivers and the TE (that's 3 receiving threats)
on the right side, they have one receiver (McCourty's responsbibility).

The Pats were in base 3-4, with 2-deep safeties.
The 2 ILBs played in their normal slots.

On the right side of the Defense, the ROLB would take on the TE, the RCB would take one WR, and the safety would be responsible for the other receiver (all one-on-one).

On the left side, McCourty had help from both the LOLB and the second safety.
(The LOLB dropped back and looked toward McCourty's receiver to make sure he doesn't run a slant toward the middle; this is inside protection.
All the while, the safety was backing up deep.)
That's double protection for the rookie, and this was the seventh game of the season.

Do you recall Jackson ever to have this kind of protection?

(Side note: Obviously, the QB wouldn't go to McCourty's side on such a situation.
Rivers completed a pass to the strong side where there were fewer defenders/per receiving threat for a first down.)

76Texan
02-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Play two
(next play in the game)

1-10 Chargers in straight I formation; TE strong left;
2 receivers split wide, one on each side.

Pats lined up in the same 3-4 base defense.

Notice that there are 2 receiving threats on the left, each was covered one-on-one.
The SS Chung on the TE and the RCB on the Y receiver.

On the right, there was only 1 receiving threat covered by McCourty and protected by the FS.
Not only that, the FS shifted pretty far to the outside, showing that he was definitely backing up McCourty.
Again, McCourty got the extra protection he needed (the kind of protection that Jackson often didn't have).

Now the TE went into motion to the right (McCourty's side);
the SS Chung followed him (ie. the RCB was definitely one-on-one with his receiver while McCourty had the attention of the deep safety.)

Obviously, Rivers looked to his left first, but the receiver was covered.
Rivers went back to his right (McCourty's side) and threw a pass that was short, low, inside and away from the receiver.

What people saw was McCourty planting his foot and reacting toward the play; jumping all over the route; and looking like a great CB breaking up the pass.

The real story is this:

1. The LOLB had jumped up and got a piece of the ball such that the ball went wobbling and off-target.

2. It was first and ten; McCourty had help deep and still played off the ball, giving up way too much cushion to the receiver. A normal pass would have resulted in an easy first down.

3. As the play ended, you can see the deep safety coming straight up toward the rookie (ie. he had McCourty's back all the way.)

But of course, all the fans heard from the commentator is the typical:
"well-defended by McCourty".

In reality, McCourty was bailed out by the rushing LOLB;
the wobbling pass gave McCourty time to make up the huge cushion he had given up.

76Texan
02-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Third play.
I'm going to move on to a situation in the Pats red zone, at their 15-yd line.

1-10 Chargers in shotgun, single back (the back was on McCourty's side);
2 receivers on the left; TE and 1 receiver on McCourty's side.

Pats was in their base 3-4.
So you say, "but... but... there were more receiving threats on McCourty side (3 vs. 2).

However, the Pats dropped into 3-deep (with an ILB dropping back), and 5-underneath zone coverage (rushing only 3).
McCourty's responsibility was a very small area near the side line with plenty of help in the back.
Not only that, the safety was so protective of McCourty, he shaded more toward the side line and let Gate beat him to the inside.
Are you kidding me? Leaving Gates alone so you can keep an eye out for the rookie?!?
Lucky for the Pats, Rivers was looking to his left first, and then was chased out of the pocket and basically threw the ball away.

76Texan
02-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Fourth play.
After a one-yd run, the Chargers found themselves with third and nine.
This time, the Pats played 3-deep, but 5 MAN-under coverage.
The WR beat McCourty with a double move to the corner, but Rivers' pass was just long (the WR had a couple of steps on McCourty; that could have been a sure TD as I ever saw one.)

In man coverage, even with 3-deep help, the CB shouldn't let the receiver beat him to the outside (toward the side line).
If McCourty had at least jammed the receiver, the safety would have been able to get there.

McCourty looked kinda confused; may be he forgot that he was in man coverage.
It's quite possible that he thought they were in zone like in the previous play.

And all the commentator had to say was that:
"Nice move by Davis at the LOS, getting seperation."
He never called out McCourty.
He wasn't like others who covered the Texans, like Gruden, who would immediately jumped on with something like "Rivers picking on the rookie CB".

76Texan
02-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Fifth play.
I'm going to move on to McCourty's interception.
It was 3rd and 17.
The Pats was again in a 3-deep zone.
If Rivers threw a long ball, the safety would have been right there to break up the pass, so he (Rivers) left it short.

The receiver actually had a couple of steps on McCourty.
The only place Rivers could have tried to make that third and 17 was a pass long and near the side line.
Either the receiver makes a great catch or the safety will break it up.
By leaving it short, he gift wrapped McCourty's first career INT.
Basically; however, it was the equivalent of a 56yd punt.

76Texan
02-13-2011, 12:52 AM
To sum it up, what I want to say is that the two CBs were used quite differently by their coaching staff.

One received a lot of support as a rookie CB should have.

The other was failed by both his coaches and the little help he received.

No excuse needs to be made, but as usual, I believe in taking all the evidences that were there in vivid color on the field to the table before one can really judge the player.

drs23
02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the break down 76. Good job, as usual.

Dallas_Texan
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Kareem Jackson was put in a position with

Zero experience
Zero veteran leadership
Zero pass rush
Zero safety help
Zero coaching help
Zero LB help

....other that Smith smashing his toes with a hammer and laughiing there's no way anyone could have made it more difficult for him to succeed. Do not judge him yet that would be stupid.

b0ng
02-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I think it's more like judging the people who drafted and coached Jackson. Obviously, Kareem gets another opportunity with a new coach in a new system. But, it's totally fair to point out how McCourty was a success right out of the box, while Jackson was an utter failure. McCourty >>>> Jackson in 2010. To claim otherwise is ridiculous.

This is pretty much completely fair. While yes, it was Jackson's rookie season, that thing was really ****ing ugly and should give no Texans fans hope that he's going to be all-world next year or the year after. I hope he does come around and not fall down all the time, but I can't imagine bouncing back to be much more than average in the next 3 or 4 years.

But I think coaching can have a significant impact on a players success, and terrible coaching can make a terrible player.

JimBaker488
02-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the break down 76. Good job, as usual.
Yes, very, very good 76Texan. I'm really not convinced if you're right (or wrong) about your take on Kareem, but I appreciate the time and effort you put into your analysis.

Playoffs
02-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good...
Your posts are just flat good, 76.

Always appreciate your analysis.

Playoffs
02-13-2011, 03:28 PM
I wonder if the lesson here may be not to expect as much upside from players coming out of Bama with current staff because they are already pretty well coached up???

Hardcore Texan
02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
It's ridiculous beyond words to judge Kareem as harshly as you all have after just his rookie year. No rookie corner is gonna blow it up. You realize McCourty was a part of one of the 5 worst secondaries in football and got toasted his fair share too?

This is where I come down on the subject as well. It's way too early to tell how good he can be, he certainly didn't have the good coaching, scheme, safety help, or pass rush that other CB's had including McCourty.

I don't claim that, you're right about that, but there is more to the story McCourty played in a much better defense with much better coaching. Bottom line to me is that Jackson was set up for failure, hopefully we will see him improve vastly next year.

76Texan
02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Yes, very, very good 76Texan. I'm really not convinced if you're right (or wrong) about your take on Kareem, but I appreciate the time and effort you put into your analysis.

Fair enough!

I've always wanted to break down all of Jackson's plays, but right now, I'm concentrating on the draft.

Thank you all for the support!

EllisUnit
02-14-2011, 09:23 AM

i think its funny that guys like Dom Capers get run out of town, BECAUSE they arent "GOOD" coaches. I mean it couldnt of been due to lack of talent. And then a Player is bad and its on the coaches/Secondary coach/D.C for not "developing" him properly. Amazing.

HOU-TEX
02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Kareem was getting better in the last part of the season.

That might've been because he wasn't on the field as much. They were subbing him quite a bit. Yes, his supporting cast and coaches sucked, but KJ was still a bad CB more times than not. Was it all coaching? Crappy safetys?

Dunno, I'm trying to convince myself to forget about his first season and give him a fresh start with a "more experienced" coaching staff. Hopefully we'll have some safety's in here that know what a football looks like too.

Second Honeymoon
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Jackson was awful in 2010 but that doesn't mean he is already a bust. He could end up turning out OK in the end. My thing is that you can't keep him on the field until he earns it and shows he isn't a liability.

Hopefully the "brain trust" can improve the talent we have and address our many holes.

Nmandi makes a lot of sense but we would probably have to pay a loser team premium in an open market.

GP
02-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I just don't think he's a true CB1 nor CB2.

He's a nickel back, a tweener CB/S who roams the field and eats the leftovers.

At very best, he could be a CB2. But I think that's even stretching it. Teams will throw at him with great consistency/frequency next season*

*if there is a season

playa465
02-14-2011, 01:22 PM
i think its funny that guys like Dom Capers get run out of town, BECAUSE they arent "GOOD" coaches. I mean it couldnt of been due to lack of talent. And then a Player is bad and its on the coaches/Secondary coach/D.C for not "developing" him properly. Amazing.

Capers was gone because as our HC the team was 18-46, bottomed out in 2005 and was going nowhere. As a HC you can not focus all your time on player development due to your MANY responsibilities. Plus as far as development goes this not based on Kareem, its just an observation to see how many of our defensive draft picks have continuously progressed from their rookie year. Definitely its not all coaches, however coaches should set their players up for success. Its a fine line and we fans can only observe on the outside, hell maybe player X really does suck bad...then thats a boo boo on the staff for getting the player in the 1st place

devo-x
02-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Our former Defensive coaches seem to have expected Kareem to play like a veteran without much (if any) Safety help at all :brickwall:

EllisUnit
02-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Capers was gone because as our HC the team was 18-46, bottomed out in 2005 and was going nowhere. As a HC you can not focus all your time on player development due to your MANY responsibilities. Plus as far as development goes this not based on Kareem, its just an observation to see how many of our defensive draft picks have continuously progressed from their rookie year. Definitely its not all coaches, however coaches should set their players up for success. Its a fine line and we fans can only observe on the outside, hell maybe player X really does suck bad...then thats a boo boo on the staff for getting the player in the 1st place

just saying he took carolina to the conf championship in their first few seasons of existence. If he had more talent to coach who knows what he could of done. Just because a player sucks dont mean the coach sucks. thats my point.

SIDE NOTE - i didnt like capers, just an example.

playa465
02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
just saying he took carolina to the conf championship in their first few seasons of existence. If he had more talent to coach who knows what he could of done. Just because a player sucks dont mean the coach sucks. thats my point.

understood...back to thread, we don't know what we have in KJ right now

HoustonFrog
02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I think Gosselin is the guru of drafts and he had McCourty higher. Just an observation.

BullNation4Life
02-15-2011, 10:41 AM
No CB, especially a rookie, is going to succeed when his safety help is giving up 8 TDs, oh and that would be Pollard that gave up 8 tDs this year...

76Texan
02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
When you have a FS that had lost some of his range (Wilson), I don't think it's a good idea to play a lot of cover one.

When your second safety, Pollard, is lacking in coverage awareness, I don't think it's a good idea to play a lot of cover two.

Coverage-wise, it makes more sense to play cover 3 (with the 2 CBs dropping deep; the version with the MLB and 2 safeties didn't show well consistently enough.)

You add to that 3 inexperienced CBs to start the season.

Yeah, I think that's on the coaches alright!

badboy
02-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Maybe. Ok, probably but not for sure ? It's still way too soon to write the
final analysis on his NFL career.
The thing that still puzzles me the most about Kareem is his apparent lack of "deep-speed". I watched the NFL Combine on the NFL network last year just as Mayoc, who was there reporting on it for the NFL Net, watched it and saw Jackson run an official sub 4.5 40 like McCourtny did. The top CB
Haden from FLA was the guy who ran the slow 40 at Indy and had to make amends for it at his Pro day if you happen to recall ?I think he has deep speed and 40 speed is very good. Problem is after he makes his first move to "bump" or follow WR & misses the bump or "reads" WR wrong, it is his make up speed that gets him in trouble. Hopefully, Phillips will teach KJ to "mirror" WR rather than anticipate or bump.

Texanmike02
02-16-2011, 12:19 AM

I keep thinking about an article I read and I have no link so if someone can provide it please do, where one of the DBs was describing how they shuffle instead of back pedal and how different it was. They were supposed to be more fluid in the hips or something. I can't help but think that it screwed everyone up because almost nobody in the defensive backfield did anything to progress. I'll look at some tape I guess.

Mike

playa465
02-16-2011, 05:23 AM
I keep thinking about an article I read and I have no link so if someone can provide it please do, where one of the DBs was describing how they shuffle instead of back pedal and how different it was. They were supposed to be more fluid in the hips or something. I can't help but think that it screwed everyone up because almost nobody in the defensive backfield did anything to progress. I'll look at some tape I guess.

Mike

This one?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/3078/for-texans-cbs-out-with-backpedal-in-with-shuffle

76Texan
02-16-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't have problem with the shuffle as a technique.
What I have problem with was that the coaches put out a full plate for a rookie too early.

Between all the techniques and the coverage schemes and learning different pro-offenses, adjusting to the speed, the life in the NFL, etc.)

I don't think it was a good player developement program.

thunderkyss
02-16-2011, 01:22 PM

I remember when Jacques Reeves & Phillip Buccanon got here. I liked them better as cover corners, because they would turn and look for the ball. Where Dunta didn't.

Then as the year went by, Buccanon stopped looking for the ball & faceguarded more often. It took Reeves until his second year to stop looking for the ball. & this year, Quin was faceguarding a little more often than I thought he did in 2009.

I know technically, there is nothing wrong with faceguarding, as long as there is no contact. But the way they call it in this league....

& it looks like we're teaching our corners to arm bar & face guard.

JB
02-16-2011, 01:38 PM
I remember when Jacques Reeves & Phillip Buccanon got here. I liked them better as cover corners, because they would turn and look for the ball. Where Dunta didn't.

Then as the year went by, Buccanon stopped looking for the ball & faceguarded more often. It took Reeves until his second year to stop looking for the ball. & this year, Quin was faceguarding a little more often than I thought he did in 2009.

I know technically, there is nothing wrong with faceguarding, as long as there is no contact. But the way they call it in this league....

& it looks like we're teaching our corners to arm bar & face guard.

I'm pretty sure the big knock on Reeves after his first year here was that he never looked for the ball. He could stay with any receiver, but never knew where the ball was, so he didn't break up many passes or get int's. The next year, he started to do a bit better, but was injured a lot.

Playoffs
02-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Looks like McCourty fractured a rib in week 14.

Battle Red Flash
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
It's ridiculous beyond words to judge Kareem as harshly as you all have after just his rookie year.

True. His coaching was very suspect last year.

76Texan
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Looks like McCourty fractured a rib in week 14.

He said he was fine and played without pain after 2 weeks.
I hope McCourty's "fans" don't use it as an excuse for his poor play against the Jets in the playoffs! :ahhaha: