PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith (CAR) likely to be traded

nero THE zero
02-11-2011, 12:43 PM
08:08 AM ET 02.11 | With an awful 2010 behind the Panthers, might they be turning to a future that doesn't include Steve Smith? Smith, who'll turn 32 this summer, discussed the possibility of being traded with team owner Jerry Richardson this past season, according to two league sources. ... While general manager Marty Hurney wouldn't discuss any private conversations the Panthers have had with Smith or his agent, he did acknowledge the team's star receiver is extremely frustrated. "I think Steve is probably not unlike everybody in the building ... he was not happy with 2-14," Hurney said.

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/265991?eref=twitter_feed#ixzz1Dg2ej0dA

This couldn't be a better fit for the Texans. He's a highly talented deep threat with winning experience and a mean streak. Not only does he add a dimension (stretching the field) that this team is sorely lacking, he adds a quality to its character that is much needed.

The asking price can't be too high considering his age (32) and precedent (5th for Santonio Holmes). I'd be more than happy to give Carolina a 5th for him.

gary
02-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Trade for Smith and then sign Holmes or Edwards.

dream_team
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Trade for Smith and then sign Holmes or Edwards.

No thanks to Edwards or Holmes.

Holmes was traded for a 5th because of his suspension and bad attitude. I see Smith more valued as a 3rd rounder.

Rey
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
This couldn't be a better fit for the Texans. He's a highly talented deep threat with winning experience and a mean streak. Not only does he add a dimension (stretching the field) that this team is sorely lacking, he adds a quality to its character that is much needed.

The asking price can't be too high considering his age (32) and precedent (5th for Santonio Holmes). I'd be more than happy to give Carolina a 5th for him.

I don't know how he would fit here.

He's a very good WR...great in fact...

But I don't think our QB fits with his skill set...JMO...

There is a reason that we tend to like bigger/possession type receivers...

How often have we actually utilized the deep speed of some of our receivers?

Ole Miss Texan
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
He's getting up there in age... I don't know if it was the fact that Carolina sucked in general or that they don't have good QB play, but he isn't the same Steve Smith that he used to be. With that said, I still think he's an good WR in the league and a threat on every play.

I'd have no problems bringing him in if the contract and trade is right, no barn buster. Smith hasn't just been good going deep, he's a threat after the catch and that's something we could use. Schaub can easily throw it to him close to the LOS and he'd find success. Smith can go over the middle. I think he easily fits this team.

Hervoyel
02-11-2011, 09:31 PM
There are positions where you don't worry about 32 and then there are positions where it's an issue. With a WR 32 is something you want to take into consideration. Sure, you might be getting a guy who's going to play at a high level for 2-3 more years but more than likely you're looking at a guy who's going to turn "Eric Moulds" on you sooner rather than later.

The Texans don't always gamble on older players but when they do they seem to have a fixation on old guys in positions that don't age well like WR (Moulds), and RB (Green).

I think if Smith is running out of gas then he's probably a lock to be starting opposite Andre Johnson next season.

Texecutioner
02-11-2011, 09:47 PM

How in the world does a QB fit the skill set of a WR or a WR not fit the skill set of the QB? Sorry, but you really got me on that one.

And for the record Matt Schaub has pretty much the exact same skill set that Jake Delhome has had throughout his entire career. Steve Smith could have looked way better had he had a better QB though. Steve Smith made Delhomme look much better than he actually was.

This will never happen though. Steve Smith is to high profile of a guy for the Texans and his character issues automatically exclude him. The Texans don't touch guys if even a speeding ticket is involved.

Lucky
02-11-2011, 10:06 PM
"I think Steve is probably not unlike everybody in the building ... he was not happy with 2-14," Hurney said.

If Smith is not happy with 2-14, why would he be giddy about 6-10? He's not a good blocker, and not a good fit for a WCO. Smith as a Texan makes little sense in any way.

EllisUnit
02-11-2011, 10:09 PM
"I think Steve is probably not unlike everybody in the building ... he was not happy with 2-14," Hurney said.

If Smith is not happy with 2-14, why would he be giddy about 6-10? He's not a good blocker, and not a good fit for a WCO. Smith as a Texan makes little sense in any way.

would still love to have him though :)

GP
02-11-2011, 10:10 PM
On a subjective note: Maybe THE most overrated WR today. I'm serious. I can't stand this guy. He's a loud mouth, ticking time-bomb who pouts. He's the midget version of Randy Moss.

On a less subjective note, if there is ONE thing Matt Schaub has proven he has problems with...it's hitting a deep receiver IN STRIDE.

Steve Smith's calling card is running underneath the deep passes and catching them in stride and just blazing to the end zone. He isn't going to go up the ladder and grab passes like our current WRs do.

This would be perhaps one of the most totally incompatible pickups ever. He would absolutely KILL if he had Drew Brees as his QB, though--A quick-release QB who flings the ball downfield in accurate fashion.

steelbtexan
02-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Draft Julio Jones

HoustonFrog
02-11-2011, 10:14 PM
On a subjective note: Maybe THE most overrated WR today. I'm serious. I can't stand this guy. He's a loud mouth, ticking time-bomb who pouts. He's the midget version of Randy Moss.

On a less subjective note, if there is ONE thing Matt Schaub has proven he has problems with...it's hitting a deep receiver IN STRIDE.

Steve Smith's calling card is running underneath the deep passes and catching them in stride and just blazing to the end zone. He isn't going to go up the ladder and grab passes like our current WRs do.

This would be perhaps one of the most totally incompatible pickups ever. He would absolutely KILL if he had Drew Brees as his QB, though--A quick-release QB who flings the ball downfield in accurate fashion.

GP, love your work of late but we will agree to disagree here. I love Smith. You know what they did with him more than anything in Carolina...5-10 yard outs and then when he caught them he would turn it up field and run. Basically that is the only way they could get ot to him, even in his best years. Alot of his big plays were 5 yard patterns that turn into big plays through strength and speed. He is a guy that I don't think they will bring here but I think could fit Schaub.

GP
02-11-2011, 10:18 PM
GP, love your work of late but we will agree to disagree here. I love Smith. You know what they did with him more than anything in Carolina...5-10 yard outs and then when he caught them he would turn it up field and run. Basically that is the only way they could get ot to him, even in his best years. Alot of his big plays were 5 yard patterns that turn into big plays through strength and speed. He is a guy that I don't think they will bring here but I think could fit Schaub.

Meh. I have seen him run the shorter routes, sure.

Let's keep the love between us, and just agree to disagree.

HoustonFrog
02-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Meh. I have seen him run the shorter routes, sure.

Let's keep the love between us, and just agree to disagree.

:toast2:

You are doing great work now :)

Texecutioner
02-12-2011, 12:39 AM

He has had issues in the past. He's a hot head with a temper, but his temper translates on the field at times which can be a positive as far as his production.

With all due respect my friend, that's not true at all. Steve Smith is great at short routes. He's one of the only WR's in the league that I'd say can be effective on the short route passing game and the deep balls. He has the speed to burn defenders down the field and the quickness to beat guys at certain spots. He's great at going up and grabbing a ball as well. He's just short as hell and doesn't have the Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson size, but that guy can leap and out muscle guys with ease. You don't remember that play he had against the Texans years ago where he broke like 9 tackles and punked our entire defense? One of the coolest plays I've ever seen from an offensive player. And remember he's never had a good QB to play with throughout his career. He made Jake Delhomme look good man. Him and Musin Muhammed in his earlier days camofloughed how average JD really was.

We both know that the Texans wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole. He'd be a nice addition to AJ though and he could be a good pick up on the right team if there's a good QB with an OC he likes. He's just not easy to deal with, but he's what I would call " a gamer" for sure. A guy that will come up big and play with a lot of heart if the coaching staff has everyone disciplined. I don't think that Gary Kubiak would be the right coach for him though. Todd Haley would probably be perfect.

Rey
02-12-2011, 09:26 AM
How in the world does a QB fit the skill set of a WR or a WR not fit the skill set of the QB? Sorry, but you really got me on that one.

Matt Schaub is a good WCO QB.

He makes good reads and he takes control of the offense.

If you look at the Colts and Patriots offenses, they tend to have smaller type receivers.

It's JMO, but I don't think Schaub would do as well with those same type of receivers. Our offense isn't built for that, and Matt doesn't throw the type of balls often enough for them to be successful. There is a reason that the Texans covet bigger possession type receivers.

If you look at the Eagles, they run a version of the WCO, but because Vick has a rocket arm (and his accuracy has gotten better), they can take advantage of their WR's speed.

Our offense is built more towards WR's running good routes and "bodying" up on DB's...

TheRealJoker
02-12-2011, 09:50 AM
With Aj opposite at WR and Schaub throwing the ball, he'd easily be the most dangerous #2 WR in the league. We simply would have too many weapons on offense for him NOT to flourish.

CloakNNNdagger
02-12-2011, 02:28 PM

It's pretty sad that for so many years the Texans have said that we needed a true #2 receiver that could "spread the field" opposite AJ. Now we're talking about someone who fits that description, but we're worried that our QB can't throw the ball far enough to take advantage of the vertical spread.:kubepalm:

Dutchrudder
02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Anyone bothered to look at his contract? Per Rotoworld:

5/8/2007: Signed a six-year, $43.85 million contract. The deal included a $9.3 million signing bonus, a $6 million roster bonus in the second year, and a $2 million roster bonus in the third. 2011: $7 million, 2012: $7.75 million, 2013: Free Agent

This guy is good, but not 7 million dollars good. Plenty of other FA WRs out there for cheaper that would be better. Santana Moss, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith NYG, Sidney Rice, Malcom Floyd, Steve Breaston... I would much rather see them give that kind of money to a younger guy with potential like Jackson or Rice.

JB
02-12-2011, 05:18 PM

This guy is good, but not 7 million dollars good. Plenty of other FA WRs out there for cheaper that would be better. Santana Moss, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith NYG, Sidney Rice, Malcom Floyd, Steve Breaston... I would much rather see them give that kind of money to a younger guy with potential like Jackson or Rice.

I would love to have Jackson here.

CloakNNNdagger
02-12-2011, 06:31 PM
The Skins are considering a 2-3 year deal for around 5 million dollars a year, and Moss is 35. They feel he's got at least that many years left in him.

Rice will likely be tagged.

Floyd at 6'5" and 225 would be a nice bookend for AJ.

McNair may even consider putting up a standing bond for good ole Plaxico.

ThaShark316
02-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Overrated? Y'all kill me. Explain how? The same Smith that catches TDs and block like no one's business with a broken arm? Overrated??!?! 5'9" and is wreckless but he's like Moss? :wadepalm:

ThaShark316
02-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Moss, Edwards, oft-injured Smith (who needs microfracture knee surgery), Rice, Floyd and Breaston <<<<<<<<<<<< Steve Smith from CAR.

steelbtexan
02-12-2011, 09:12 PM
The Texans aren't going to sign Smith. Their FA $$$$ would be better spent on defense.

With that said, Posters that say Smith wouldn't be a good match because of Schaubs' arm strength are delusional. Smith would be the ultimate weapon opposite AJ. Great hand,toughness,speed,willingness to go over the middle,great blocker, Smith is the complete WR who would make this offense really dangerous and help the defense imensely.

Rey
02-12-2011, 10:07 PM
The Texans aren't going to sign Smith. Their FA $$$$ would be better spent on defense.

With that said, Posters that say Smith wouldn't be a good match because of Schaubs' arm strength are delusional. Smith would be the ultimate weapon opposite AJ. Great hand,toughness,speed,willingness to go over the middle,great blocker, Smith is the complete WR who would make this offense really dangerous and help the defense imensely.

It's just an opinion. No need to call folks delusional because in their opinion they think he won't fit as well here as he would in some other offenses.

steelbtexan
02-12-2011, 10:21 PM
It's just an opinion. No need to call folks delusional because in their opinion they think he won't fit as well here as he would in some other offenses.

I apologize

That was too strong a term.

No offense intended.

Rey
02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I apologize

That was too strong a term.

No offense intended.

It's all good...I didn't think you were trying to be malicious...

I just enjoy debating without making it personal...

That is something I should do better as well...

Dutchrudder
02-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Moss, Edwards, oft-injured Smith (who needs microfracture knee surgery), Rice, Floyd and Breaston <<<<<<<<<<<< Steve Smith from CAR.

Are your arrows backwards, or are you saying Steve Smith is a better WR than all those guys listed?

TimeKiller
02-14-2011, 07:50 AM
New England Patriot in T- 10....9....8.....7....6.....

steelbtexan
02-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Smith,Welker,Branch and those TE's, Brady should be happy and Smith will be a model citizen.

Smith will be in Heaven with Brady, compared to the Delhomme and Moore's of the world.

Dutchrudder
02-14-2011, 08:08 AM

I don't think the Patriots would bother with his contract. Too much money for their liking, they are a relatively cheap franchise. If he was a free agent, for sure, but I don't see them trading a 3-5th round pick for him for 7 million for one season. There are plenty of free agent WRs they could get for less, like the ones I listed earlier. I know if I was Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd or Sidney Rice, I would want to go to the Patriots and have Brady throw to me for the next few years. It also comes with a high profile and a semi-celebrity status, which I think some of them would appreciate.

BigBull17
02-14-2011, 08:10 AM

No, the Pats like short WHITE dudes.

TimeKiller
02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Smith,Welker,Branch and those TE's, Brady should be happy and Smith will be a model citizen.

Smith will be in Heaven with Brady, compared to the Delhomme and Moore's of the world.
exactly. offense stays unstoppable while the D is retooling.
I don't think the Patriots would bother with his contract. Too much money for their liking, they are a relatively cheap franchise. If he was a free agent, for sure, but I don't see them trading a 3-5th round pick for him for 7 million for one season. There are plenty of free agent WRs they could get for less, like the ones I listed earlier. I know if I was Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd or Sidney Rice, I would want to go to the Patriots and have Brady throw to me for the next few years. It also comes with a high profile and a semi-celebrity status, which I think some of them would appreciate.
I'm beyond positive the Patriots and Steve Smith could work it out, if the interest was there from the Patriots side. There might be others, such as the ones you've listed but Smith blows them outta the water with lesser QBs tossin the rock.

No, the Pats like short WHITE dudes.

FINALLY the white man gets some recognition!