PDA

View Full Version : After PR fiasco, "Big D" now saying it wasn't our Super Bowl

IDEXAN
02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Super Bowl XLV brought Arlington unprecedented national attention, but that spotlight actually hurt the city's image, according to national survey results released Thursday morning.

The study from San Diego-based Competitive Edge Research & Communication found that those with a "very" or "somewhat" positive opinion of Arlington dropped from 17.5 percent before the game to 14.9 percent after the game. The percentage of people who saw Arlington in a somewhat positive light increased slightly, but those with a very positive impression dropped from 10.2 percent to 5.6 percent.
http://superbowlblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/02/national-survey-finds-that-arl.html
&&
What a bunch of hypocritical wind-bags those guys are in Dallas.
All we heard about for months and months, even years was this grand Super Bowl Dallas was going to stage for the world, but now that it's turned out to be a PR fiasco they say no, it's Arlingtons Super Bowl, not ours. We know nothing.
How's that old saying go ? "Success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan" ?

Mr teX
02-10-2011, 01:51 PM
figures....even more reason for the surrounding cities in the "metroplex" like ft. worth & arlington to hate those dallas chumps.

wagonhed
02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
To be fair, Ft Wth and Arlington are both ****holes compared to Dallas. Especially if you count the suburbs.

CloakNNNdagger
02-10-2011, 07:36 PM
One week prior to the SuperBowl, predictions were that the week of SB would generate ~10.1 billion dollars, 200 million dollars for Dallas and immediate surrounding areas........the majority within Dallas proper. Who knows how the weather affected those numbers. No matter, this SuperBowl was pushed predominantly for Dallas and Jerry.....with the NFL licking their chops. Despite planning to make earth shattering money, as it turns out, they all ended up closer to sucking lemons.

GuerillaBlack
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
To be fair, Ft Wth and Arlington are both ****holes compared to Dallas. Especially if you count the suburbs.

Fort Worth >> Dallas.

Joe Texan
02-10-2011, 09:03 PM

Dude you need to know what your talking about before you spit all over the boards. Arlington and Ft Worth are steeped in traditions and are staple cities in the metroplex, I could name a few towns in the metroplex that might be sub par to Dallas but the two you named are far from the ****hole you think you know about.

Carr Bombed
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Lets put it this way, the "PR fiasco" was so bad for Dallas that it might actually hurt Houston's chances at getting another bid. People in Jacksonville are laughing at Dallas right now. Do we have a :jerrypalm:? If not, we need to get one.

GuerillaBlack
02-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Dude you need to know what your talking about before you spit all over the boards. Arlington and Ft Worth are steeped in traditions and are staple cities in the metroplex, I could name a few towns in the metroplex that might be sub par to Dallas but the two you named are far from the ****hole you think you know about.

Arlington is a POS suburban city. Fort Worth is cool though.

HoustonFrog
02-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Are you kidding me? Ft. Worth is one of the nicest cities out there with a great downtown scene, a great college and has real people. Ft. Worth is old money and not some made up shiek b.s. You need a reality check. My sis lives in the nice areas of Dallas and I like it but prefer Ft. Worth. Great neighborhoods too.

Texaninlild
02-10-2011, 09:36 PM

WTH are talking about downtown Ft Worth is nicer than downtown Dallas.

JimBaker488
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Fort Worth is cool though.
I'd like to spend a Saturday night in that Sundance Square area. They've probably got some nice hotels there, excellent retail, comfortable wateringholes and other places of interest ?

powerfuldragon
02-10-2011, 10:17 PM

how dare you have your own opinion.

ArlingtonTexan
02-10-2011, 11:20 PM
As a party place for things like the Superbowl Arlington is not a good place. Only a couple of night clubs of any size and/or quality, no liquir stores, none of those shady "massage" places and has run out all the "classy" strip clubs leaving like two or three skank joints. Basically, nothing for guys trying to get their party on. while there are decent amount of mid range hotels, no overdone, overpriced palaces. The residents here are also convinced that public transportation is only for people who can't afford cars (seriously). What Arlington has been tapping dancing around is trying to be a destination place (six Flags, Rangers and Cowboys), but also be a family oreinted suburb...sorry dudes really can't do both forever. Until more people understand that the "underbelly" is a part big sports stadiums and big sports events, the entire Metroplex is not going to reap the rewards it thinks it should.

BTW, when my wife and I go out or have close weekends away we go to Fort Worth way more often than Dallas.

CloakNNNdagger
02-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Just when you thought that things couldn't look any worse.........IT DOES!...........JERRY, YOU LOW LIFE!!!!! (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/11/arlington-officials-prevented-cowboys-from-assuming-risk-of-incomplete-seats/)

Arlington officials prevented Cowboys from assuming risk of incomplete seats

As bad as the Super Bowl ticket fiasco ended up being for the NFL, it could have been much, much worse. Documents released by the City of Arlington on Friday indicate a concern by at least one Arlington official that the Cowboys were willing to roll the dice and take their chances that seats not cleared by the local officials wouldn’t, you know, collapse.

According to a thorough chronicle of the events created by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Arlington building official Ed Dryden wrote in an e-mail to his boss, Jim Parajon, “I think that the Cowboys are not going to correct certain items and assume the risk. This is not a good situation!”

Parajon told Dryden not to budge. “Bottom line is if it is not right, don’t approve it,” Parajon wrote in response.

It took a certain amount of courage for local officials to stand up to the most significant and powerful local business entity on the biggest day in the young life of the biggest stadium in the country. If the seats that were still being slapped together hours before the game had been used and had failed, we’d now be trying to sift through the mess and allocate blame.

Based on Dryden’s e-mail, much of the blame would have gone to the Cowboys. If Dryden’s perception is accurate, Jerry Jones’ employees were willing to risk the safety of Super Bowl attendees, all in the name of breaking the single-game attendance record.

Let’s reflect on that for a second. Dryden’s conclusion that the Cowboys were “not going to correct certain items and assume the risk” borders on the chilling, especially since we’ve seen so many man-made incidents in the past that could have been prevented. So while Drydan and Parajon deserve credit for saying “no” to an organization whose owner is very used to hearing “yes,” our collective view of the Cowboys organization should be a bit dimmer tonight.

In their zeal to set the NFL single-game attendance record, the Cowboys were willing to “assume the risk” that, after some of the record-setting fans reached their assigned seats, their assigned seats could collapse.

(But, hey, if that had happened the league could have stepped in and offered a triple refund and a ticket to next year’s Super Bowl.)

Meanwhile, the Cowboys continue to say nothing about the situation. And there’s nothing they can say to change the perception that, if the Cowboys had their way, safety would have taken a back seat to the pursuit of a meaningless high-water mark.

El Tejano
02-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Reliant had complete positive reviews all around and yet the league isn't even considering it anymore.

Pantherstang84
02-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Reliant had complete positive reviews all around and yet the league isn't even considering it anymore.

Thanks to a "wardrobe malfunction." I know it was not the Texan's fault that it happened in their house. But it did happen there and the stigma will remain.

wagonhed
02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
how dare you have your own opinion.

good point, i retract my statement

GuerillaBlack
02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks to a "wardrobe malfunction." I know it was not the Texan's fault that it happened in their house. But it did happen there and the stigma will remain.

I wouldn't blame it on the wardrobe malfunction. I blame it on the small market owners fighting with the big market owners. The only large markets that have been getting it lately are the ones with new stadiums and Miami (because the owners bribes the others with free yachts for the week). I highly doubt Janet Jackson is the reason why Houston hasn't hosted another SB yet. That's like saying Christina Aquilera is the reason why DFW won't host another. MTV just isn't allowed to produce another halftime show for a while. In fact, if you guys remember, Houston was almost guaranteed another SB in 2008 or 2009, due to the great job the city did (parties were in one place), but then the owners starting fighting. It was a Mardi-Gras type atmosphere in Downtown that weekend:

http://shawnbouley.com/images/main_event_27.jpg

http://shawnbouley.com/images/main_event_9386.jpg

http://shawnbouley.com/images/main_event_9084.jpg

wagonhed
02-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Ft Worth is the dirtiest city I have ever been to. There is a small downtown culture district that is nice, but once you get out of the strictly downtown area everything else is terrible. It's nothing but industrial parks. The whole city is basically one big industrial park minus downtown.

Dallas on the other hand has all sorts of different cultural areas, including lots of places to go at night, all sorts of bars and clubs and venues. There are ****ty parts of Dallas, lots of them, and the middle of Dallas might not compare to the middle of Ft Worth, but besides that Dallas rules Ft Worth.

Though you're not 21 so I can see how things might be different.

wagonhed
02-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Are you kidding me? Ft. Worth is one of the nicest cities out there with a great downtown scene, a great college and has real people. Ft. Worth is old money and not some made up shiek b.s. You need a reality check. My sis lives in the nice areas of Dallas and I like it but prefer Ft. Worth. Great neighborhoods too.
Outside of the downtown scene, Ft Worth is trash. Colleges are almost always nice, so the fact that Ft Worth has one isn't that spectacular, though I gotta say that although TCU is not Texas Tech or A&M, it's still a conservative christian school... not exactly the kind of thing that promotes vibrant college scenes like you see in Austin.

Dunno what old money has to do with anything. If you mean they spent old money building industrial parks then ya, I agree with you.

Stemp
02-12-2011, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't blame it on the wardrobe malfunction. I blame it on the small market owners fighting with the big market owners. The only large markets that have been getting it lately are the ones with new stadiums and Miami (because the owners bribes the others with free yachts for the week). I highly doubt Janet Jackson is the reason why Houston hasn't hosted another SB yet. That's like saying Christina Aquilera is the reason why DFW won't host another. MTV just isn't allowed to produce another halftime show for a while. In fact, if you guys remember, Houston was almost guaranteed another SB in 2008 or 2009, due to the great job the city did (parties were in one place), but then the owners starting fighting. It was a Mardi-Gras type atmosphere in Downtown that weekend:

[

This.

Houston did a great job with the Super Bowl, much better than Jerrah. We should get another one in the future if the small market owners stop playing petty internal politics

GlassHalfFull
02-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Quit derailing this thread. :bender:

Let's get back to the important part. Dallas Sucks, Jerrah Sucks.

GuerillaBlack
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Ft Worth is the dirtiest city I have ever been to. There is a small downtown culture district that is nice, but once you get out of the strictly downtown area everything else is terrible. It's nothing but industrial parks. The whole city is basically one big industrial park minus downtown.

Yeah, but FW's nightlife Downtown kills Dallas' nightlife, which is spread out all over the place (and DT Dallas is dead at night). And there are plenty of other nice areas of Fort Worth, outside of Downtown. Seems like you only explored the N and NW sides of Fort Worth to say it's one big industrial park minus Downtown. Couldn't be further from the truth. That's like saying Dallas is one big ghetto outside of Uptown.

Dallas on the other hand has all sorts of different cultural areas, including lots of places to go at night, all sorts of bars and clubs and venues. There are ****ty parts of Dallas, lots of them, and the middle of Dallas might not compare to the middle of Ft Worth, but besides that Dallas rules Ft Worth.

Though you're not 21 so I can see how things might be different.

Like almost everyone, you're only talking about the City of Dallas north of the Trinity River. There is a whole part of Dallas that most people like to forget. The Dallas side is bigger than the FW side, so that's why it has more than FW (for now).

Marcus
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Hey, can we dispense with the "my town is better than your town" nonsense? Jesus.

As as the Super Bowl debacle is concerned . . . . meh. This story would have died on the vine in a couple of days if Jerry Jones wasn't connected to it. Now, it's just everyone seizing the opportunity to rub his nose in it.

Not the that I feel sorry for him or anything. Maybe he'll be a little more humble after this, but I doubt it.

IDEXAN
02-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Outside of the downtown scene, Ft Worth is trash. Colleges are almost always nice, so the fact that Ft Worth has one isn't that spectacular, though I gotta say that although TCU is not Texas Tech or A&M, it's still a conservative christian school... not exactly the kind of thing that promotes vibrant college scenes like you see in Austin.

Dunno what old money has to do with anything. If you mean they spent old money building industrial parks then ya, I agree with you.
You have no clue !
Where is the Amon Carter Museum ? Where is the Texas Motor Spedway ?
Where are the Dallas Cowboys & Texas Rangers stadiums ?
Those are likely the top attractions in all of North Texas, and none are in Dallas.

CloakNNNdagger
02-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Say, could you all have your beef of which city sucks most and take it to the back alley......or at least start a separate thread in the "No Sports" section. Thanks.

GlassHalfFull
02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/sports/football/12sportsbriefs-seats.html

Records show that a Cowboys Stadium official did not seek a permit for construction of temporary Super Bowl seating until the game was less than a month away. Arlington’s chief building official, Ed Dryden, told Jack Hill, the stadium’s general manager, by e-mail in September that a permit would be required. The request for a permit was not received until Jan. 13

:popcorn:

CloakNNNdagger
02-12-2011, 06:09 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/sports/football/12sportsbriefs-seats.html

:popcorn:

Obvious explanation, the stadium’s general manager is a slow reader. And Jerry couldn't help him with some of the big words.

Texanfan4ever
02-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Obvious explanation, the stadium’s general manager is a slow reader. And Jerry couldn't help him with some of the big words.

Poor Jerry! Would have played God with1250 people's lives! Is anyone REALLY surprised at that? Just another example of his atrocious character! Hmm ..... Worst winter storm ever during Jerry's Super Bowl week, the seat debacle...couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! Thank you God!

Joe Texan
02-13-2011, 11:54 PM

You are about the least informed POS as far as recognizing Texas History and you know nothing of what you speak,:wadepalm: if Arlington was the ****hole you guys speak of do you think anyone would put a billion dollar stadium in it. You want to speak of Oak Cliff or Irving or Grand Prairie then go ahead but Arlington and Ft Worth are steeped in tradition and Texas History and you sir need to stuff a sock in it.

GuerillaBlack
02-14-2011, 12:19 AM
You are about the least informed POS as far as recognizing Texas History and you know nothing of what you speak,:wadepalm: if Arlington was the ****hole you guys speak of do you think anyone would put a billion dollar stadium in it. You want to speak of Oak Cliff or Irving or Grand Prairie then go ahead but Arlington and Ft Worth are steeped in tradition and Texas History and you sir need to stuff a sock in it.

It's clear you don't know what you're talking about. The only reason why the stadium is in Arlington is because Arlington was the only suburb that got suckered by Jerry Jones. Plus, Jerry Jones want you to pay for parking and all of the proposed sites in Dallas were near rail stations and he didn't like that. Most people in North Texas consider it a ****hole, but why is it so steeped in tradition in Texas history? It's an overgrown, average/dumpy looking suburb. You're taking so much offense to this, calling me a "POS" and telling me I "need to put a sock in it"? LMAO.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/189611026/i_ain__t_even_mad_by_terribleprincess-d34w0sy.jpg

Hookem Horns
02-14-2011, 07:56 AM
So if that wasn't Dallas' Super Bowl then are the Cowboys still Dallas' team? You can't say well, the stadium is in Arlington not Dallas, so the Super Bowl wasn't ours and not say the same thing about the team that plays in that stadium.

GlassHalfFull
02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
So if that wasn't Dallas' Super Bowl then are the Cowboys still Dallas' team? You can't say well, the stadium is in Arlington not Dallas, so the Super Bowl wasn't ours and not say the same thing about the team that plays in that stadium.

Exactly. I guess they are the Arlington Cowboys from now on. :chickendance:

HoustonFrog
02-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Dude, you sound like a complete knucklehead about the city. I try not and get personal but you really have zero clue. I'm guaranteeing you have never gone more that a few miles in any direction in real Ft. Worth. GUARANTEED!I lived there 23 years and grew up there. The neighborhoods are incredibly nice. The college area and areas around town are incredibly nice. There is nothing industrial about Ft. Worth proper unless you look at the train tracks from downtown and don't move. You have no clue what you are talking about. From downtown down West 7th you hit the museum district with some of the top museums in the country. That area comprises Camp Bowie Blvd and areas like Rivercrest Country Club, the West side homes, etc. It is a beautiful area. If you are within any number of miles of TCU you have a world class zoo right off the Trinity River. It is considered a Top 5 Zoo and you have the Botanical Gardens right there. This area is where some of the nicest homes in the city are and comprises Colonial Country Club, where one of the top PGA tour events is played...Hogan's Alley. It is full of shopping and restaurants and is up the road from TCU. From that area you can head through campus...a beautiful campus..and go right into Overton Park which is hills and trees and more beautiful neighborhoods. From the earlier mentioned West 7th and Camp Bowie area if you head a few more miles down Camp Bowie you can hit Westover Hills. Probably the nicest neighborhood in the city and one of the nicest in the state. It is where Ben Hogan lived, Martina Navratalova and many others. It is where Shady Oaks Country Club is. If you are where 30 splits off you hit Ridglea Country Club estates and that area. Right down the road from there is Hulen street that basically takes you the length of the city and dead ends into the West Side but starts way back by Hulen Mall, the restaurants and goes through the Overton Park area. There is also the Bryant Irvin corridor that is full of restaurants and the campus to may old alma mater, Trinity Valley Prep. Country Day Prep is down the road. None of these areas is industrial and all are incredibly nice. None of this even includes the historical Stockyards area or anywhere like that. If you are counting the airport to downtown, that isn't Ft. Worth. You barely even scrape by downtown with Sundance Square and the new Bass Performance Hall and the restaurants and bars. Also, TCU may have "Christian" in the name but it isn't a fully conservative school or even a "church" school in reality. No one I knew went there because it was Christian. Most went because of Ft. Worth, the 4-1 girl to guy ratio, the fact that there is a small..8-10 of each(8 when I was there)....fraternity and sorority community that makes it fun and it is a good school. It is has many local hangouts and bars and isn't supposed to be 6th street.

GuerillaBlack
02-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Well technically, the Cowboys are still in Dallas County. Their HQ is at Valley Ranch in Irving. They just play in Arlington.

Yankee_In_TX
02-14-2011, 12:28 PM

For whatever reason a lot of celebrities, athletes and local media slammed Houston while it was here.

The ONLY legitimate complaint I can think of is that everything is so spread out and there is no mass transit and/or a lot of traffic. Parties were in downtown, Galleria, midtown, etc.

GuerillaBlack
02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
For whatever reason a lot of celebrities, athletes and local media slammed Houston while it was here.

The ONLY legitimate complaint I can think of is that everything is so spread out and there is no mass transit and/or a lot of traffic. Parties were in downtown, Galleria, midtown, etc.

The fans who came seemed to like Houston.

This Super Bowl earns a grade of Big D
By KEN HOFFMAN
Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
Feb. 7, 2011, 12:13AM

Dallas, you were given a bad hand, but with the frigid weather, the ice storm and snowdrifts, your Super Bowl was a dud six ways from Super Sunday.

Funny, last year an NFL official said, “We want to be prepared for weather and have emergency plans in case weather deals us a hand we didn’t expect.”

For an organization that thinks it’s God, the NFL sure couldn’t handle an act of God. It was almost enough to make one feel sorry for Dallas or Dallas/Fort Worth or North Texas … or wherever the NFL insisted the Super Bowl was played.

Let’s compare and contrast … Super Bowl XLV in Dallas vs. Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston.
Unfair weather fans

We can start with the weather. It’s unfair to pin the ice storm on Dallas; it came out of the blue. But if Super Bowl Week had been sunny and warm, Dallas sure would have bragged about it.

Super Bowl Week in Dallas was bitter cold. Starting Monday night with an ice storm that turned roads into a hockey rink through 5 inches of snow Friday, North Texas was a whiteout. I spent Monday through Friday morning in Dallas for the Super Bowl run-up. The temperature never saw the sunny side of freezing.

Let’s turn Mr. Peabody’s wayback machine to Houston in February 2004 for our Super Bowl. The week was drizzly, but temperatures stayed in the 50s, and by Sunday, it was sunny and bright.

We win the weather.

The North Texas Super Bowl Host Committee promised Dallas would be prepared for any worst-case scenarios. Clearly, Dallas wasn’t ready. Highways went unplowed. Ice turned bridges and overpasses into demolition derbies. Cars trying to climb hills were the little engines that couldn’t. What goes up must come down, often backward.

Halfway through Super Bowl Week, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, who’s been around a few Super Bowls, tweeted, “I-30 between Dallas + Fort Worth is a plow-less snow-windswept moonscape. This is officially a debacle.”

You know that mailman’s motto: Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds? There’s no mention of icy sidewalks — the mail wasn’t completely delivered in Dallas last week.
Chains, anyone?

Driving was ridiculous. Major highways were iced over. I drove to Bone Daddy’s (think Hooters with baby backs instead of wings) Tuesday night. It was one of the few restaurants open near my hotel on the Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway. I slid and skidded the whole way. Several times I saw my life flash before my eyes — sideways.

DFW Airport and Love Field were closed for parts of Super Bowl Week, and hundreds of flights were canceled. Wednesday was the coldest day in Dallas in 29 years. The wind chill factor was minus 15. There were rolling blackouts, and when the electricity came back on, traffic signals were red in all directions. They never thought of this?

Dallas and Fort Worth are 35 miles apart, with Arlington in between. It was risky, dangerous business trying to get around North Texas.

Back in Houston, we were smart. Our host committee designated three main areas for entertainment, parties and events: Reliant Center, downtown and the Galleria. It’s 7 miles between them, and 30 minutes around the horn. Ninety percent of Houston Super Bowl activities were held within that triangle. Plus, we had new light rail to get fans from downtown hotels to the game at Reliant Stadium. Ten thousand fans took the train.

We win the planning. Our Super Bowl was navigable, maneuverable and doable. We were fun hosts. People spend more money in light jackets than they do in thermal underwear.

Unless you were a VIP, the media, someone with connections or wealthy, there was little in North Texas for fans to do while waiting for kickoff. Because of the awful weather, Super Bowl Week took four snow days, Tuesday through Friday.

Ordinary shlubs, who only could afford the $1,200 ticket and $100 parking spot, had to fend for themselves for entertainment.
Houston proud

The Houston host committee didn’t forget ordinary fans. Friday and Saturday night, Houston threw “The Main Event” party on six blocks of Main Street. Entertainment was free. Bars, clubs and restaurants were open, and 250,000 people showed up.

Here’s what Dallas did for fans who couldn’t get Super Bowl tickets For $200, you could buy a ticket to stand in the parking lot of Cowboys Stadium and watch the game on a big television.

We win for kindness.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7416202.html

Double Barrel
02-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Just when you thought that things couldn't look any worse.........IT DOES!...........JERRY, YOU LOW LIFE!!!!! (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/11/arlington-officials-prevented-cowboys-from-assuming-risk-of-incomplete-seats/)

wow...that story is mind-boggling if you think of the potential implications of a disaster occurring with the world as a witness.

Major props to the city officials for doing the right thing. This is where taxes are completely justified. The system worked the way it was supposed to work. :clap:

As far as Jerrah, what a low life POS. The willingness to risk human life in pursuit of some meaningless statistic really shows what this man is about at the end of the day.

GlassHalfFull
02-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Long Lines Chaotic Situation at Super Bowl (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Long-lines-chaotic-situation-at-Super-Bowl.html)

"Desperate people were going to the bathroom in empty beer cans, along the fence area, and they weren’t all men. Little kids were getting pushed around. Older people were becoming woozy, complaining of pain and dropping out. One elderly man told my wife he was feeling pain in his chest, his legs were numb, and he could no longer take it. People started jumping the gates that everyone had to snake through as they got closer to the stadium and tempers flared. And apparently there was nobody around as far as stadium personnel to help or guide anyone."

"One other almost comical note that my wife told me: Once she got inside the security tent after 2-plus hours in line, things slowed down again there. There were three or four security lines with a total of about 12 people helping to check bags, scan tickets, wand people who had set off the alarms, etc. And here’s the kicker: She said there were four small buckets in her line that people dropped their change, keys, anything that would set off the alarm into. And because there were only four, people had to stand there and wait as someone walked them back one by one."

"I expected to read something about this whole fiasco in Monday’s Dallas Morning News, but their writers were too busy gushing and crowing about what a wonderful day it was after all the bad weather during the week."

More at the link. Sounds like Dallas was more unprepared than has been reported.

Texan_Bill
02-14-2011, 01:02 PM

They do that about every city not named Miami, New Orleans or LA.

powerfuldragon
02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
/shrug every time i'm up there, i'm with the dirty hipsters in denton so our time in dallas and ft worthless are pretty blurry. always a good time.

Dread-Head
02-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Translation: "The Boys aint playin'...we don't give a vugg."

Texaninlild
02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Dude, you sound like a complete knucklehead about the city. I try not and get personal but you really have zero clue. I'm guaranteeing you have never gone more that a few miles in any direction in real Ft. Worth. GUARANTEED!I lived there 23 years and grew up there. The neighborhoods are incredibly nice. The college area and areas around town are incredibly nice. There is nothing industrial about Ft. Worth proper unless you look at the train tracks from downtown and don't move. You have no clue what you are talking about. From downtown down West 7th you hit the museum district with some of the top museums in the country. That area comprises Camp Bowie Blvd and areas like Rivercrest Country Club, the West side homes, etc. It is a beautiful area. If you are within any number of miles of TCU you have a world class zoo right off the Trinity River. It is considered a Top 5 Zoo and you have the Botanical Gardens right there. This area is where some of the nicest homes in the city are and comprises Colonial Country Club, where one of the top PGA tour events is played...Hogan's Alley. It is full of shopping and restaurants and is up the road from TCU. From that area you can head through campus...a beautiful campus..and go right into Overton Park which is hills and trees and more beautiful neighborhoods. From the earlier mentioned West 7th and Camp Bowie area if you head a few more miles down Camp Bowie you can hit Westover Hills. Probably the nicest neighborhood in the city and one of the nicest in the state. It is where Ben Hogan lived, Martina Navratalova and many others. It is where Shady Oaks Country Club is. If you are where 30 splits off you hit Ridglea Country Club estates and that area. Right down the road from there is Hulen street that basically takes you the length of the city and dead ends into the West Side but starts way back by Hulen Mall, the restaurants and goes through the Overton Park area. There is also the Bryant Irvin corridor that is full of restaurants and the campus to may old alma mater, Trinity Valley Prep. Country Day Prep is down the road. None of these areas is industrial and all are incredibly nice. None of this even includes the historical Stockyards area or anywhere like that. If you are counting the airport to downtown, that isn't Ft. Worth. You barely even scrape by downtown with Sundance Square and the new Bass Performance Hall and the restaurants and bars. Also, TCU may have "Christian" in the name but it isn't a fully conservative school or even a "church" school in reality. No one I knew went there because it was Christian. Most went because of Ft. Worth, the 4-1 girl to guy ratio, the fact that there is a small..8-10 of each(8 when I was there)....fraternity and sorority community that makes it fun and it is a good school. It is has many local hangouts and bars and isn't supposed to be 6th street.

I have only been in DFW since 2004, but I agree. Ft. Worth has a much better feel than Dallas.

There are bad spots in boths cities just like in H-town. I volunteer in Dallas @ Baylor Hospital and on Lancaster in Ft. Worth with the homeless, and I would not spend the night hanging out at either place at night.