PDA

View Full Version : Titans Name Bruce Matthews OL Coach

Pollardized
01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7395760.html

TheRealJoker
01-24-2011, 06:55 PM
It certainly doesn't hurt the young guys to bounce ideas off of this guy.

Corrosion
01-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Im glad he didnt go to Dallas .... I really hate that team and their owner , as much as I do the Steelers and Titans.

JB
01-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Im glad he didnt go to Dallas .... I really hate that team and their owner , as much as I do the Steelers and Titans.

^^^^ My thoughts on it also. I also think that he is a great guy to have in the locker room to help the guys on technique that they may listen to more than Benton. Hard not to put credibility in what a HOF'er has to say.

thunderkyss
01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
It certainly doesn't hurt the young guys to bounce ideas off of this guy.

His staying tells me that is one more person who believes in what the Texans are doing. I think that is the biggest benefit to the young guys.

Corrosion
01-24-2011, 08:35 PM
His staying tells me that is one more person who believes in what the Texans are doing. I think that is the biggest benefit to the young guys.

Either that or he doesnt believe Dallas to be a better situation ....

Honestly I believe the offense is headed in the right direction ..... for the most part. They just need to find some consistency .... and a killer instinct. They ahve the personel and the system , now its time to put it together.

The defense .... so much work to do , so little time (pending there is no work stoppage). Hoping that Barwin and Ryans can return to form might be a recipe for disaster , add to that the need to find a NT as well as secondary help .... ugh. I dont see them being as bad as they were this past season but that isnt saying a whole lot.

JB
01-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Either that or he doesnt believe Dallas to be a better situation ....

Honestly I believe the offense is headed in the right direction ..... for the most part. They just need to find some consistency .... and a killer instinct. They ahve the personel and the system , now its time to put it together.

The defense .... so much work to do , so little time (pending there is no work stoppage). Hoping that Barwin and Ryans can return to form might be a recipe for disaster , add to that the need to find a NT as well as secondary help .... ugh. I dont see them being as bad as they were this past season but that isnt saying a whole lot.

If they could improve to 15-20 on defense, that would go a mighty long way.

2slik4u
01-24-2011, 09:32 PM

And the plot thickens.......

TexansFanatic
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Matthews going to Dallas would have been wrong on so many levels. Very glad he's staying put.

gtexan02
01-24-2011, 10:53 PM
We had the 7th ranked rush offense and 4th ranked pass offense (3rd overall) and thats all that matters. This guy is thinking about his career, and being an OL coach here is going to provide you with a nice resume if we can stay top 10

Playoffs
01-24-2011, 10:57 PM

^This.

disaacks3
01-24-2011, 11:44 PM

As long as you didn't say they were "On the right track"...

Norg
01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
i did some NUmber crunching

in 2009 we scored 421 Points
in 2010 we scored 390 points

thats about a 31 point drop from 09 just sayin

DexmanC
01-25-2011, 01:11 AM

And about 4 wins as well also just sayin

Hookem Horns
01-25-2011, 01:27 AM

What they are doing is probably paying him decently and giving him a job in a town he has probably lived in for years. Hopefully the next HC of the Texans will retain him after Kubiak is fired next season.

JCTexan
01-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Where did you get that information? nfl.com has:

in 2009 Houston scored 388 Points (10th in the NFL)
In 2010 Houston scored 390 Points (9th in the NFL)

ThruThick&Thin
01-25-2011, 03:01 AM
I watched a couple of run play study lessons with Benton... terrible teacher lol

JCTexan
01-25-2011, 03:26 AM
And about 4 wins as well also just sayin

Houston actually scored two more points this year than last year. The four extra wins in 2009 probably had to do with:

In 2009 Houston's defense gave up 333 Points (20.8 PPG)
In 2010 Houston's defense gave up 427 Points (26.7 PPG)

94 Points more given up by the defense is the difference since the offense scored more points this year.

Pantherstang84
01-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Houston actually scored two more points this year than last year. The four extra wins in 2009 probably had to do with:

In 2009 Houston's defense gave up 333 Points (20.8 PPG)
In 2010 Houston's defense gave up 427 Points (26.7 PPG)

94 Points more given up by the defense is the difference since the offense scored more points this year.

^ Biggest factor right there. The Texans putrid defense in 2010 cannot be exaggerated. They couldn't have stopped a parked car last year. Just absolutely disgusting.

GP
01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
What they are doing is probably paying him decently and giving him a job in a town he has probably lived in for years. Hopefully the next HC of the Texans will retain him after Kubiak is fired next season.

Oh, I'm sure Wade will retain him. Oiler Blue and all.

Second Honeymoon
01-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Great job keeping Bruce. You didn't let Jerry punk you, Bob. Thanks for spending a little extra to keep him.

Texan4Ever
01-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Matthews going to Dallas would have been wrong on so many levels. Very glad he's staying put.

What would be worse is the Titans.

GP
01-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Oh man, you're right. THAT would be worse.

Hervoyel
01-26-2011, 01:47 PM

I think Bob McNair wants to keep Bruce Matthews because he's PR gold in this town and Bob loves him some PR gold.

The Texans are a pre-fab franchise with no heart, no soul, no passion, and no clues to how to get any of that. McNair gives it all away in his comments. He says they don't want to lose Bruce because he's "an important member of their team"?

Really? I sincerely doubt that. He's an offensive line assistant. I'm sure he does a good job but he wouldn't take any time at all to replace. By his own admission he started at the very bottom floor of coaching. He has considerable experience and I don't want to discount that but he's got two years experience teaching.

Bob then says "He's a Hall of Fame player" and now we're getting somewhere. Bruce Matthews is a guy in the HOF and since the Texans won't even sniff that kind of honor until Andre Johnson retires (assuming he doesn't eventually tire of their shit and leave) that makes Bruce the closest thing McNair can get to some tradition. His team has none. He points out that Matthews was one of the most popular Oilers players and therein lies his value to the Texans. That would be "Marketing" and "PR". Nothing more.

DexmanC
01-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I think Bob McNair wants to keep Bruce Matthews because he's PR gold in this town and Bob loves him some PR gold.

The Texans are a pre-fab franchise with no heart, no soul, no passion, and no clues to how to get any of that. McNair gives it all away in his comments. He says they don't want to lose Bruce because he's "an important member of their team"?

Really? I sincerely doubt that. He's an offensive line assistant. I'm sure he does a good job but he wouldn't take any time at all to replace. By his own admission he started at the very bottom floor of coaching. He has considerable experience and I don't want to discount that but he's got two years experience teaching.

Bob then says "He's a Hall of Fame player" and now we're getting somewhere. Bruce Matthews is a guy in the HOF and since the Texans won't even sniff that kind of honor until Andre Johnson retires (assuming he doesn't eventually tire of their shit and leave) that makes Bruce the closest thing McNair can get to some tradition. His team has none. He points out that Matthews was one of the most popular Oilers players and therein lies his value to the Texans. That would be "Marketing" and "PR". Nothing more.

Bruce Matthews = essential MARKETING piece, on-essential FOOTBALL personnel

thunderkyss
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Is it just me, or are some of you guys acting as if McNair sweetened the deal to get Bruce to stay?

He's on contract with the Texans through March 1 right? He went to see Jerrah... he decided to stay where he is.. in Houston. Am I missing something?

TexansFanatic
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Quite right. Makes me sick they have Munchak. A real coup would be bringing Mike back to Houston.

JB
01-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Quite right. Makes me sick they have Munchak. A real coup would be bringing Mike back to Houston.

That would be awesome! And very possible if Fisher is not resigned after this year.

Texan_Bill
01-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Is it just me, or are some of you guys acting as if McNair sweetened the deal to get Bruce to stay?

He's on contract with the Texans through March 1 right? He went to see Jerrah... he decided to stay where he is.. in Houston. Am I missing something?

No, you didn't miss a thing. That said, I'm on record (in another thread), that if Bruce has an opportunity to go somewhere and gain more experience coaching, he should. After all, at one point, he was like the third assistant offensive line coach, behind Gibbs, and (someone else who escapes me)....

In any event, I'm glad he's stayin' around.

BTW, the "marketing" angle by some posters was weak. Really weak. If Bruce had moved on, do people really think that would affect fans decisions to renew their tickets? ..... HA!!! Hardly!

Texan_Bill
01-26-2011, 09:25 PM
That would be awesome! And very possible if Fisher is not resigned after this year.

Didn't the Texans attempt to talk to Munchak at one time and the Tinnbreds refused?

JB
01-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Didn't the Texans attempt to talk to Munchak at one time and the Tinnbreds refused?

I think you are correct.

Second Honeymoon
01-26-2011, 09:32 PM
PR or not PR, I am glad he stayed.
If his professionalism and competitive nature can rub off on any of our players, that is priceless.

Texan_Bill
01-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I think you are correct.

Carl Mauck and John Schuhmacher for assistant O-line coaches w/ Bruce. :D

JB
01-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Carl Mauck and John Schuhmacher for assistant O-line coaches w/ Bruce. :D

:jam:

Texan_Bill
01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
:jam:

I used to run into John Schuhmacher at Vido's Deck and of course Ron's Pub, all the time.

JB
01-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I used to run into John Schuhmacher at Vido's Deck and of course Ron's Pub, all the time.

That's pretty cool.

TexansFanatic
01-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Wow! Hadn't heard that, but here you go:

The Texans have removed Tennessee Titans offensive line coach Mike Munchak from their list of candidates to replace offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Before the Texans could formally ask for permission to interview Munchak, Titans coach Jeff Fisher called general manager Rick Smith on Tuesday. Fisher and Smith are members of the NFL's competition committee.

Fisher informed Smith that the Titans wouldn't be granting permission for Munchak to interview. In other words, don't waste your time.

Under NFL rules, coaches under contract can't switch jobs -- even for promotions -- unless they're given permission. The only exception is for an assistant to become a head coach.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6800366.html

thunderkyss
01-27-2011, 08:05 AM
... if Bruce has an opportunity to go somewhere and gain more experience coaching, he should. After all, at one point, he was like the third assistant offensive line coach, behind Gibbs, and (someone else who escapes me)....

Gibbs has always said in Houston, he was very hands off. I believe he was actually here to coach the coaches. From my understanding, it's been Matthews who was actually one-on-one with the guys.

I think he's being groomed & all this talk about him now makes me believe he is doing well & has a bright future ahead of him as a coach.

Which is cool I guess, especially for you Oiler fans.

IDEXAN
01-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I wonder if it was a wise move by Matthews, career wise ? The HC up in Dallas is just starting out his term with that organization while the incumbant regime in Houston is on double-secret probation. Of course Matthews has lived in the Houston area for some time, perhaps his wife was very reluctant to pull up stakes and start traveling to job sites in her middle-age ? I wouldn't be surprised if Mrs. Matthews had the final vote on the Matthews family relocating for another employment opportuntiy, afterall financially they should be set after Bruces lengthy NFL career as a player ?

Rey
01-27-2011, 08:37 AM
No, you didn't miss a thing. That said, I'm on record (in another thread), that if Bruce has an opportunity to go somewhere and gain more experience coaching, he should. After all, at one point, he was like the third assistant offensive line coach, behind Gibbs, and (someone else who escapes me)....

BTW, the "marketing" angle by some posters was weak. Really weak. If Bruce had moved on, do people really think that would affect fans decisions to renew their tickets? ..... HA!!! Hardly!

Benton?

Hervoyel
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM

Marketing and Public Relations get used interchangeably more often than not (right or wrong as that may be). Having Bruce on the coaching staff is kind of like having Wade around. He's got built in "warm fuzzy feelings" where the old Oilers fans are concerned. Gary's "former Oilers ball-boy" story doesn't tug at the old heart strings like it did 5 years of bumbling idiocy ago so having these former Oilers around answers the need for nostalgia in the crowd. Having one on the coaching staff, and perhaps the greatest of all is even better.

steelbtexan
01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
10-12 wins would give me a case of the warm and fuzzies.

It still bothers me that BoB had Bum and Dante schill for Kubiak.

That should tell you where BoB's heart is.

Anything to keep business as usual.

thunderkyss
01-29-2011, 10:17 AM
This was posted to HT.com a week ago (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/QA-Benton-discusses-running-game-resurgence/277a160f-bd2a-4aac-857b-312729461836). Haven't seen it, figured this is a good place to stick it. Lots of good stuff in this article (so read it), here's a little snippet about Bruce Matthew's role here.

You’ve got four coaches working to some degree with the running game and offensive line – you, Dennison, assistant offensive line coach Frank Pollack and offensive assistant Bruce Matthews. How do you divvy everything up?

“I think that’s one of the great things here. We’re all on the same page. No one has an ego. You just jump in and do everything you can to go, and it’s a bunch of good guys to work with. Between Frank Pollack and I, we’ll alternate which groups of the line we’re working together with, but we really make a point that it’s with all of them. Obviously, Bruce does a lot of our prep work and that type of thing in the office, and Rick’s involved with running the whole offense. So in terms of the minutiae and that type of thing, we’ll do it that way in terms of drills and even how we watch the line. It kind of follows a little theme, and it seems to work pretty well.”

TexansFanatic
02-08-2011, 01:41 AM

Good grief. How sickeningly prophetic this looks now...

Matthews could reunite with old friend Munchak with Titans (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7417210.html)

Lucky
02-08-2011, 02:03 AM

Matthews could reunite with old friend Munchak with Titans (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7417210.html)
Munchack goes Kubiak and hires his buddies. Let's see how this works out for him & the Titans. :popcorn:

TexansFanatic
02-08-2011, 03:03 AM
Munchack goes Kubiak and hires his buddies. Let's see how this works out for him & the Titans. :popcorn:

LOL I would imagine it works just fine as long as your buddies are good coaches.

Jackie Chiles
02-08-2011, 03:27 AM
It would suck to see him with the Titans but its a legit promotion and we still have good coaching along the OL with Benton and Dennison. I mean Matthews is technically behind Frank Pollack as well. I know he would probably love to stay here but if he is really serious about being a coach I don't know if he could pass up the opportunity.

HOU-TEX
02-08-2011, 10:30 AM

Even a jive turkey like McClain can put two and two together and come up with this scenerio. The article is just that, the Gobbler speculating. There's a chance Bruce will leave, but the Gobbler's gobbler is just jiggling for now.

Honoring Earl 34
02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Even a jive turkey like McClain can put two and two together and come up with this scenerio. The article is just that, the Gobbler speculating. There's a chance Bruce will leave, but the Gobbler's gobbler is just jiggling for now.

I wonder if they'll leave tickets for Elvis ?

BigBull17
02-08-2011, 10:49 AM
It's such a non issue. Our oline coach is making chicken salad with chicken shit. We have more important things to worry about than basically an honorary coach.

GP
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
It's such a non issue. Our oline coach is making chicken salad with chicken shit. We have more important things to worry about than basically an honorary coach.

^^^^^ this ^^^^^

ChampionTexan
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Apparently the contract between Matthews and the Texans has been agreed to, but is not yet signed. As a result, the Titans don't need the Texans permission to interview Matthews, and they've indicated they will.

LINK (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7418175.html)

TEXANS84
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Matthews is going to be a goner. Him and Munchak are close friends.

Shaft75
02-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I personally think that nobody should care about this from a coaching standpoint. Matthews was being groomed here. Everytime I watched the drills and warmups in my endzone he was just standing around spinning a football on his fingers.

I like the guy and wish he could stay but it wont have a significant impact on our team.

Wolf6151
02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
What I think you guys are missing is the fact that if he had signed the contract that he agreed to 2 weeks ago then the Titans could still hire/promote him but it would then cost them something to do so. They'd have to pay the Texans something to hire him away from us. Why would the Texans front office agree to terms of a new contract with Matthews but not get him to sign it? Losing Matthews to a divisional rival is just stupid.

Rey
02-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't think Mr. Bruce is going anywhere

JB
02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
What I think you guys are missing is the fact that if he had signed the contract that he agreed to 2 weeks ago then the Titans could still hire/promote him but it would then cost them something to do so. They'd have to pay the Texans something to hire him away from us. Why would the Texans front office agree to terms of a new contract with Matthews but not get him to sign it? Losing Matthews to a divisional rival is just stupid.

Why would they have to pay the Texans to hire him if he had signed his deal? They would just have to ask for permission to interview him. Nothing else would be any different.

ChampionTexan
02-08-2011, 06:10 PM

That's simply incorrect.

The Texans either could have granted permission or not, but if a team chooses to grant permission, there's not any other compensation involved.

Take our LB coach - when the Texans originally asked to interview Reggie Herring, they were told no by the Cowboys. Subsequently, Rob Ryan was hired as the Cowboys DC, and they decided they would grant permission, but no compensation was given to the Cowboys by the Texans for signing a coach that was already under contract.

Grams
02-08-2011, 06:23 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/sports/pro/football/teams&id=7946362

According to this he has not signed a contract yet.

Thorn
02-08-2011, 06:49 PM
If he goes fine, if he stays fine. Other than the Titans aspect to it, does anyone really care about an assistant line coach?

Speedy
02-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Bob Allen just reported that Matthews is going to Possum Holler.

GP
02-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Man, that Titans team just went into the crapper. Big time.

I mean, there is seriously a strong chance that the Titans end up drafting in the Top 5 every year for the next several years.

Matthews made a bad long-term decision, IMO.

Thorn
02-08-2011, 08:31 PM

I mean, there is seriously a strong chance that the Titans end up drafting in the Top 5 every year for the next several years.

Well, at least that would keep us out of last place.

GP
02-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Well, at least that would keep us out of last place.

Yep. I suddenly feel invigorated by all of the Titans woes.

To think that we won't have those trash talkers over here for a few years, well it's just wonderful. I know they are all sitting around, moping, as a collective group of fans...wondering how they could end up with Munchak as their coach and no OC, no DC, and no QB.

It ain't as bleak here anymore. That outlook is reserved for Titans fans.

I might even change my avatar and sig.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I guess Bruce is gone. Oh well that sucks and you can't wish him or Mike good luck because they coach our natural rival. Oh well.

Mike could be in an impossible situation with or without luck. Their team could really struggle next year...if there is even a legit season

cuppacoffee
02-08-2011, 08:50 PM
I ain't ASSuming nothing.

:coffee:

Rey
02-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I would not be surprised at all if the Titans were still good next year/still capable of spanking us nce or twice a year.

thunderkyss
02-09-2011, 12:30 AM
I would not be surprised at all if the Titans were still good next year/still capable of spanking us nce or twice a year.

If their D improves just a little bit, with CJ running behind the same line he's run behind the last three years, an offensive guy running the show....

I agree.

El Tejano
02-09-2011, 10:03 AM
The less Oilers on the team, the less we lose to miracle comebacks.

HOU-TEX
02-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Yep, they're going to suck bad. I mean, we all know you can't win if you hire buddies to coach with you. :rolleyes:

HOU-TEX
02-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Munch going after all his old teamates will either make or break him as a HC.

Titans coach Mike Munchak is targeting former Texans defensive coordinator Frank Bush to coach the linebackers in Nashville.
Bush was a teammate of Munchak's on the Oilers. He's not going to get another coordinator job after the Texans defense rolled over in 2010. Bush's addition would leave assistant head coach/linebackers Dave McGinnis in limbo.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1

GP
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
The less Oilers on the team, the less we lose to miracle comebacks.

LOL.

Laws of probability, indeed.

I like your thinking.

Showtime100
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
It's a done deal.

Munchak hires Matthews to coach offensive line (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110209/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_titans_matthews)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – New Tennessee coach Mike Munchak has hired his friend and former teammate, Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, to coach the Titans' offensive line.

Matthews was selected in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft by the then-Houston Oilers and went on to play 19 seasons for the franchise, earning 14 consecutive Pro Bowl selections and nine first-team All-Pro honors. He played all five positions on the offensive line and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007.

He spent the last two seasons as an offensive assistant for the Houston Texans and replaces Munchak, who was hired as Jeff Fisher's successor on Monday.

Matthews says working for Tennessee with Munchak is an opportunity of a lifetime for him.

Sorry Bruce, but you're the enemy now. Good luck, and thanks.

JB
02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Fud is trying to recreate the Luv Ya Blue era. :vincepalm:

Hervoyel
02-09-2011, 07:53 PM

We're nice guys and on the right track. We don't have to resort to petty tactics like getting compensation for assets we lose to other teams. We are above that sort of thing.

:handshake:

steelbtexan
02-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Not suprising

EllisUnit
02-09-2011, 08:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6106441

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- New Tennessee coach Mike Munchak has hired his friend and former teammate, Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, to coach the Titans' offensive line.

Matthews was selected in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft by the then-Houston Oilers and went on to play 19 seasons for the franchise, earning 14 consecutive Pro Bowl selections and nine first-team All-Pro honors. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007.

"For me this is an opportunity of a lifetime," Matthews said. "It is such a unique opportunity to work with Mike because I think he will do a great job. It is just one of those things I couldn't pass up."

He spent the last two seasons as an offensive assistant for the Houston Texans and replaces Munchak, who was hired as Jeff Fisher's successor on Monday. Among the players he will be coaching is his son, Kevin, who was signed to the Titans' active roster in December after spending the season on the team's practice squad.

Munchak said Matthews should be able to easily pick up where he left off at the offensive line since Matthews is so familiar with the Titans' system. Matthews started as a rookie out of Southern California and played all five positions on the offensive line, starting 116 at guard, 87 at center and 39 at tackle.

"I am very excited that we were able to work out something with Bruce," Munchak said. "He is a great friend, but he also is a great coach. He has paid his dues as an assistant coach and is ready for this opportunity."

JB
02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Mods are on the ball tonite! :hurrah:

gwallaia
02-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I wish Munch and Bruce nothing but the worst.

Tailgate
02-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I wish Munch and Bruce nothing but the worst.

Damn straight. **** em.

CretorFrigg
02-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Wait, I thought Bruce just extended his contract with us?

JB
02-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Wait, I thought Bruce just extended his contract with us?

Agreed to a deal, never signed a contract. Not that it matters.

CretorFrigg
02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Agreed to a deal, never signed a contract. Not that it matters.

Oh...

:vincepalm: Our pass defense could've been better.

Schaub was sacked 32 times in 2010, compared to 23 and 25 times in 2008 and 2009 respectively. It felt like a lot of the long bombs we were so used to seeing in 2009 were eliminated last season due to pass protection deficiencies. Matt just never had enough time in the pocket.

I'm trying to be optimistic. It's terribly difficult given the outcome of last season and recent decisions McNair has made. I'm doing my best...

JB
02-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Oh...

Schaub was sacked 32 times in 2010, compared to 23 and 25 times in 2008 and 2009 respectively. It felt like a lot of the long bombs we were so used to seeing in 2009 were eliminated last season due to pass protection deficiencies. Matt just never had enough time in the pocket.

I'm trying to be optimistic. It's terribly difficult given the outcome of last season and recent decisions McNair has made. I'm doing my best...

Matthews was just an assistant assistant line coach. He did not have a great deal of input.

houstonspartan
02-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Even with the Titans in total re-build mode and in a total disaster, my deep down gut still tells me they're going to whup our asses twice next year.

I can't explain it. It's just what my gut reaction to all of this is.

rush2112mn
02-10-2011, 07:18 AM
I kind of expected this to happen after Munchak was made head coach over there. I had a feeling he was going to go work with his former Oiler teammate there in Tennessee.

4Texans
02-10-2011, 08:49 AM
If Bud does not allow employees to hire family members, and it affected Floyd Reese, Jeff Fisher, Gregg Williams, etc.... Then how do they get by with Matthews now the position coach for his son?:confused:

Just wondering......

El Tejano
02-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Oh...

Now that you mention the lack of long balls, one thing I noticed was that Matt didn't sell the play action fake as much as he did back in 2009. I remember seeing the game from home and the camera man getting juked way more than he did in 2010. Then again maybe the camera man just caught on.

TheRealJoker
02-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Now that you mention the lack of long balls, one thing I noticed was that Matt didn't sell the play action fake as much as he did back in 2009. I remember seeing the game from home and the camera man getting juked way more than he did in 2010. Then again maybe the camera man just caught on.

Probably didn't sell it as much because he would actually hand the ball off instead due to having an NFL caliber running game.

thunderkyss
02-10-2011, 10:54 AM
If Bud does not allow employees to hire family members, and it affected Floyd Reese, Jeff Fisher, Gregg Williams, etc.... Then how do they get by with Matthews now the position coach for his son?:confused:

Just wondering......

You honestly don't see a difference between "family memeber" & "ex-teammate?"

Really?

:wadepalm:

Rey
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Just wondering......

Good question...

But maybe his policy is only limited to coaches and office personnel and not the players...

You're not going to turn away Bruce Matthews because his son is a reserve on the team...

Señor Stan
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
You honestly don't see a difference between "family memeber" & "ex-teammate?"

Really?

:wadepalm:

What he is saying is that Bruce Matthew's son Kevin plays for the Titans.

Bud wouldn't let Jeff Fisher hire his son.

thunderkyss
02-10-2011, 12:38 PM
What he is saying is that Bruce Matthew's son Kevin plays for the Titans.

Bud wouldn't let Jeff Fisher hire his son.

Oh.........

my bad.

:gun:

TEXANRED
02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Loved Bruce as an Oiler

Hated Bruce when he looked into the camera and screamed Buffalo who

Loved him again as a Texan

Hate him again now he is a Titan

TD
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Just feels like another kick in the gnads to me. I just want the Oilers connection to Possum Holler to go away already. I really hate this one...not only was Matthews one of the greatest Oilers ever, he was among the most accessible, fan friendly players we had. :(

Second Honeymoon
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Just feels like another kick in the gnads to me. I just want the Oilers connection to Possum Holler to go away already. I really hate this one...not only was Matthews one of the greatest Oilers ever, he was among the most accessible, fan friendly players we had. :(

He was one of the few that spoke out on the move to Neckville. The lameduck season was tough on those players too.

Impossible situation for Mike though
It really sucks to have no real option at QB now that VY is gone and Collins being as old as dirt.

Double Barrel
02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Fud is trying to recreate the Luv Ya Blue era. :vincepalm:

yeah, he even started selling Luv Ya Blue shirts on the Titans website a few years ago. Sad, really.

Dishman
02-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Even with the Titans in total re-build mode and in a total disaster, my deep down gut still tells me they're going to whup our asses twice next year.

I can't explain it. It's just what my gut reaction to all of this is.

It's highly unlikely the Titans go 0-16 next year. They'll have to beat (twice) somebody (Texans) next year.

CloakNNNdagger
02-11-2011, 11:52 PM
The Titans' search to fill the team's new coaching staff didn't produce any hires Thursday.

But at least one Mike Munchak-targeted candidate said he'd be happy to jump on board while a second remained less than definitive about his future plans.

Former Houston Texans defensive coordinator Frank Bush confirmed Thursday that he has talked with the http://www.titansonline.com/">Titans about a potential job on the staff of the new coach, but said no offer has been made.link (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/feb/11/munchak-discusses-titans-job-another-ex-oiler/)

Bud, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....................:lol:

disaacks3
02-11-2011, 11:59 PM
link (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/feb/11/munchak-discusses-titans-job-another-ex-oiler/)

Bud, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....................:lol:

Matt Schaub. Andre Johnson & Owen Daniels would approve!

GNTLEWOLF
02-12-2011, 05:21 AM
If Bush got hired by the Titans, then Bud could say that the Titans are on the right track

Playoffs
02-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Titans hired former Oiler Earnest Givins as strength & dance coach.

GP
02-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Titans hired former Oiler Earnest Givins as strength & dance coach.

I LOL'd. I admit it.

Rep your way.

Joe Texan
02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Move to right forum please