PDA

View Full Version : Mike Munchak new coach of Titans

Hookem Horns
02-07-2011, 12:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6098619

Congrats to him. Hopefully he will be one of those guys that isn't successful in his first tenure as a HC however is kept around way too long just like the guy here.

:kubepalm:

Señor Stan
02-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Good for him.

I *used* to like the guy. Now I must hate him.

Norg
02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
That was the O cord natior or somethin right ????

infantrycak
02-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Oline coach. This is a big promotion and a big gamble - Munchak has no coordinator experience.. Heimerdinger is the OC and he has cancer. Their DC has departed for Philly.

Hookem Horns
02-07-2011, 12:32 PM

He was the O-line coach and an All-Pro guard for the Oilers.

4Texans
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Congrats to Munchak. I've got tons of respect for that guy.

TEXANRED
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I now expect Munchak will ask for permission to speak to Matthews about becoming their O-Line coach.

God how I hate the Titans.

Señor Stan
02-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Offensive Corn Eater?

Mike Munchak went to Penn St. Dean Steinkuhler was the Oiler lineman who went to Nebraska. I guess you could call him a Corn Eater...

disaacks3
02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Oline coach. This is a big promotion and a big gamble - Munchak has no coordinator experience.. Heimerdinger is the OC and he has cancer. Their DC has departed for Philly.

Agreed, he's essentially jumping two levels here. As good a guy as he is, I won't be surprised if it's too much for him.

SheTexan
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Just an example of old Bud living in the past.

Luv_ya_blue
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Just an example of old Bud living in the past.
:goodpost:
rep

HOU-TEX
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Congrats Munch, but your team sucks!

IDEXAN
02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Does this mean that his buddy Bruce Matthews will soon be departing houston to join his friend in Nashville ?

Hookem Horns
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Does this mean that his buddy Bruce Matthews will soon be departing houston to join his friend in Nashville ?

If he is offered a promotion it could happen.

CloakNNNdagger
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Munchak has always been a winner and classy. Now he gets his chance at being a classy loser.:kitten:

Dutchrudder
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Well, sounds like the Titans are on the road to 0-16 to win first place in the Andrew Luck Bowl. Good strategy, as next year will likely suck anyways. By the way, if there is no NFL at all next year, would the Panthers get the #1 pick again?

Hookem Horns
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Munchak has always been a winner and classy. Now he gets his chance at being a classy loser.:kitten:

The guy was a solid guard and a class act. However where was he a winner? In college? I don't recall any of Bud's teams winning anything.

Dread-Head
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I loathe that team and their owner...BUT(...I do love big 'buts') I like and respect their new coach. He's a class act I hope he wins a Superbowl after the Texans do... and after Bud's demise.

Hookem Horns
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
By the way, if there is no NFL at all next year, would the Panthers get the #1 pick again?

I doubt that. When the NHL lost a season due to a lockout they held a lottery for draft placement. The teams with the worse records were given more lottery balls however every team was in the lottery.

Double Barrel
02-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Congrats Munch, but your team sucks!

Congrats Munch, our team sucks, too! ;)

So what's the over/under regarding which team gets to the playoffs first, the Texans or Titans?

DBCooper
02-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I loathe that team and their owner...BUT(...I do love big 'buts') I like and respect their new coach. He's a class act I hope he wins a Superbowl after the Texans do... and after Bud's demise.

No No No No No!

But I like big Buts too.

Wolf
02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Matthews recently signed a new two-year contract to remain in his post as assistant offensive line coach in Houston. The Texans would not be obligated to grant permission for him to talk to Tennessee. Many remember a rule that mandated assistants be allowed to interview for jobs that qualified as promotions. That is no longer in place. The only post teams have to allow an assistant to interview for is a head-coaching job.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/21212/the-first-of-many-munchak-staff-questions

CloakNNNdagger
02-07-2011, 05:49 PM
The guy was a solid guard and a class act. However where was he a winner? In college? I don't recall any of Bud's teams winning anything.

By "winner," I was not referring to teams he was on. I meant in so many terms that he was a successfull solid player at his position.

Doppelganger
02-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Yeah, these usually don't work out. Very few can go from Oline/position coach to successful coach. It CAN happen, but its not common.

Hookem Horns
02-07-2011, 06:18 PM
By "winner," I was not referring to teams he was on. I meant in so many terms that he was a successfull solid player at his position.

OK ... I can buy that ...lol.

Showtime100
02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Good for him.

I *used* to like the guy. Now I must hate him.

This.

If I had to throw money at it I would bet this doesn't work out. I like Mike but won't lose sleep over it.

Thorn
02-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Munchak is a good guy, and I would wish him luck, but under these circumstances I can't. I can still respect him though. Whatever we get for a season this year will be interesting in the AFC South.

Wolf
02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/681/008/82584928_display_image.jpg?1296484203

CloakNNNdagger
02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
As his first HC act, Munchak has chosen Bud as his head of scouting and QB coach.:whip:

Texaninlild
02-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I find it a little harder to hate the Titans now..oh wait Bud Adams...all good now.

infantrycak
02-08-2011, 01:32 PM
From PFT.com:

We noted yesterday that new Titans coach Mike Munchak might not bring offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger back. Now it’s official.

Adam Schefter of ESPN and Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean are both reporting that Heimerdinger was fired today.

So new HC who has never been a coordinator on either side of the ball.
No OC
No DC
No QB

Bulluck53
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
From PFT.com:

So new HC who has never been a coordinator on either side of the ball.
No OC
No DC
No QB

You say that like it's a bad thing for the organization. It actually makes me more excited for the future that Munchak isn't sticking with the same ole regime. If Fisher was going to go, I wanted him to take Cecil and Dinger with him. Hopefully Munchak hires both positions from outside the org.

infantrycak
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing for the organization. It actually makes me more excited for the future that Munchak isn't sticking with the same ole regime. If Fisher was going to go, I wanted him to take Cecil and Dinger with him. Hopefully Munchak hires both positions from outside the org.

No I am saying it like it leaves a lot up in the air. Starting at the top you don't have an HC with coordinator experience on either side of the ball so it is a little hard to believe he isn't going to have to lean more heavily on the coordinators than a new HC who has strong well developed thoughts on one side.. Then with the timing being kind of late the pool of coordinators is limited. Then add on the uncertainty of the CBA situation and how that affects free agents like getting an experienced QB v. relying on a rookie plus how it may affect installing new systems. Lots of teams are relying on vet QB's and defensive leaders to keep practices unofficially going or get up to speed on new systems where changes have been made. Not projecting failure and these may be good long term changes but they leave near term very uncertain.

gary
02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I agree with Cak uncertain are the Titans right now.

Bulluck53
02-08-2011, 04:54 PM
No I am saying it like it leaves a lot up in the air. Starting at the top you don't have an HC with coordinator experience on either side of the ball so it is a little hard to believe he isn't going to have to lean more heavily on the coordinators than a new HC who has strong well developed thoughts on one side.. Then with the timing being kind of late the pool of coordinators is limited. Then add on the uncertainty of the CBA situation and how that affects free agents like getting an experienced QB v. relying on a rookie plus how it may affect installing new systems. Lots of teams are relying on vet QB's and defensive leaders to keep practices unofficially going or get up to speed on new systems where changes have been made. Not projecting failure and these may be good long term changes but they leave near term very uncertain.

I don't think there is uncertainty at all. They're going to be terrible next year. I'm going to be crossing my fingers hoping they pull out 4 or 5 wins. That much was known when they decided to rid themselves of VY.

With Fisher you had two options: give him an extension and allow him to assemble a staff and rebuild or get rid of him and promote/bring in someone else. They chose the latter, and the way Munchak is approaching the job is exactly what the Titans needed given the situation. So is there long-term uncertainty? Absolutely. But not any more than if Fisher were staying as a lame duck coach. I'm not arguing with you, just looking at it differently.

I'm happy and excited about the way things are working out thus far given the circumstances, and I didn't think I would feel this way if Munchak was hired. I thought it'd be the same as Fisher, which he's proving incorrect.

Wolf
02-08-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't think there is uncertainty at all. They're going to be terrible next year. I'm going to be crossing my fingers hoping they pull out Andrew Luck on draft day

fixed it for ya ;)

Thorn
02-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Found this on titanstailgate.com. Seems they have a pretty good sense of humor about the whole thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Brejker/TennesseeMunchkins.jpg

Bulluck53
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
fixed it for ya

:lol: I can't argue with that!

... or that, Thorn

OzzO
02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
He's getting the (columbia blue) band back together.
Texans offensive assistant Bruce Matthews is expected to be hired as the Tennessee Titans’ new offensive line coach, possibly as early as Wednesday....

...Meanwhile, the Titans informed the University of Texas on Tuesday they plan to interview Longhorns defensive backs coach Jerry Gray for their defensive coordinator job. Gray is the leading candidate to get the job.

Like Matthews, Gray used to play and coach with Munchak, who’s in his 30th year with the organization.....

...Also, former Texans defensive coordinator Frank Bush is the leading candidate to become the Titans’ linebackers coach.

Bush also played with Munchak during his 10-year career with the Oilers as a player, scout and assistant coach.

Ray Sherman, another former Oilers and Titans assistant coach, is also expected to join Munchak’s first staff.

cronic 2.9.11 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7418175.html)

cuppacoffee
02-09-2011, 01:03 PM

cronic 2.9.11 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7418175.html)

If we are to believe some of the posters here the Titans are dooooooomed to failure.

You can't hire your friends and former coaching acquaintences and be successful.

Looks like an annual fight for the basement.

May the worst team win? Does that make sense?

:coffee:

edit: just noticed closely I mimicked cak in another post.

Doppelganger
02-10-2011, 10:31 AM

I think Jerry Gray should refuse the interview on principal. He just got to UT, you can't sign a contract and be gone in less than a month!

Tailgate
02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Word over at Orangebloods is that Jerry Gray told supporters at a luncheon today that he is indeed not going to Tenn. Well see if its true or not, but I would love it if he stayed and burned the Titans as their #1 choice.

cuppacoffee
02-14-2011, 05:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Titans-interested-in-Bears-Tice-;_ylt=Atize3Ea59f6GGKfMNJrlNHsYNAF?urn=nfl-321014

Titans interesed in Mike Tice for OC

Article says the Bears do not have to grant permission.

z_man57
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Word over at Orangebloods is that Jerry Gray told supporters at a luncheon today that he is indeed not going to Tenn. Well see if its true or not, but I would love it if he stayed and burned the Titans as their #1 choice.

Orangebloods says that but http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Titans-Name-Gray-Defensive-Coordinator/ebe55b75-0a54-4586-9b44-55a4d8576f3f says otherwise.

ChampionTexan
02-15-2011, 12:21 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Titans-interested-in-Bears-Tice-;_ylt=Atize3Ea59f6GGKfMNJrlNHsYNAF?urn=nfl-321014

Titans interesed in Mike Tice for OC

Article says the Bears do not have to grant permission.

Looks like it won't be Tice.

After some speculation over the weekend, the Titans formally requested permission to speak with Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice on Monday about their offensive coordinator position.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears denied the request. (It’s possible they could give Tice a raise or a new title in return for keeping him in town.)

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/14/bears-deny-titans-request-to-speak-to-tice/)