PDA

View Full Version : Sports Radio 610: Texans Re-Sign Bradford

ThaShark316
04-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Thats what I heard on 610 about 5 mins ago....

no WR in the draft...so get it out ur systems ppl.

D-ReK
04-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Did they say how long he signed for? If it was only a 1 year deal, then we probably would still look WR in the draft since many WRs don't make an impact their rookie season...

UberDork
04-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Do you seriously think that we will not draft a WR because we resigned Bradford? That is a little naive. We hardly chased after Bradford. A little insurance is never bad.

texan279
04-11-2005, 04:59 PM
WOW...never expected that... :wacko:

D-ReK
04-11-2005, 05:08 PM
They're reporting we re-signed J-Wells too :woot (not that anyone thought he was leaving)...

Hervoyel
04-11-2005, 05:09 PM
I was hoping for this actually. Bradford was a good signing IMO. The price was right I'm sure and we know what he can do. He's either going to be back in his old spot or coming off the bench if Armstrong can push him to it.

El Tejano
04-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Good to see David will still be working with the same WR that were in the same offense with him. I am not a big Bradford fan but I know he really wanted to be a part of this team to witness the turnaround.

I think the Texans will still look at WR but it will be in the later rounds now.

Errant Hothy
04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
What was the price? If near the vet minimum, then it's all good; if it's sustanisally more or comes with a 7 figure signing bonus then it's a bad move.

As for the Wells resigning...meh? His still just a back-up/special teamer and might even be lower then that if we draft a RB in the mid round. Also may herald the end of the T. Hollings expierement.

Meloy
04-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Good to see David will still be working with the same WR that were in the same offense with him. I am not a big Bradford fan but I know he really wanted to be a part of this team to witness the turnaround.

I think the Texans will still look at WR but it will be in the later rounds now.
I agree this probably takes wr off 1st round. Any thoughts on Cardinals trading for Travis Henry and using 8th pick on a corner; allegedly this would allow a premium running back to drop? I picked this up on Lance Zerline's mock.

THEFUTURE
04-11-2005, 05:18 PM
all it does is add depth, why would he make any impact now, no team respected him last year, and now its supposed to change, draft a WR. and get all the pressure away from AJ

TEXANS84
04-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Well, good signing. Bradford knows the system, and so does Jonathan.

I just hope we got Bradford at a good price, hopefully only for 1 year.

UberDork
04-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't think this signing should effect the draft at all...unless he got more money than I think he did...

These are insurance and depth signings of guys who know the system. If a WR is there that we deem worthy, Bradford will not come into the equation. The only way I can see him entering the equation is if we had planned to reach on a WR, so now we don't have to reach as much, if that was a plan.

ThaShark316
04-11-2005, 05:25 PM
On 610, they threw out a number that I thought was pretty intresting...

44.8 yards per TOUCHDOWN for Bradford since he's been a Texan,....thats just crazy.

BTW...I want the Texans to draft a WR...but I think with AJ,Gaff,Bradford AND Armstrong, thats possibly 4 WRs a rookie would have to pass, thats the ONLY reason I said what I said.

TEXANS84
04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
HOUSTON – The Houston Texans have agreed to contracts with WR Corey Bradford and RB Jonathan Wells, it was announced today.

Bradford (6-1, 201) has recorded 167 receptions for 2,701 yards and 20 touchdowns in seven NFL seasons. The former Packer holds a Texans team record with 13 touchdowns, and has made big plays since he moved to the Bayou City in 2002, including the game winning touchdown against the Cowboys in the team’s inaugural game. The average length of Bradford’s touchdown receptions since he joined the Texans in 2002 has been 43.1 yards (13 touchdowns, 560 yards), first among all NFL receivers.

Wells (6-1, 252) was the Texans leading rusher during his rookie campaign in 2002 (529 yards) and has been the ultimate team contributor in three seasons with the team. After RB Domanick Davis was drafted in 2003 and inserted into the starting lineup, Wells became a standout on special teams and the first off the bench when Davis left the game. The Ohio State product finished 2004 with 12 special teams tackles, 299 rushing yards and a career-high three rushing touchdowns.

From the main page.

D-ReK
04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Here's the LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1611) to the press release of the signings...Contract figures haven't been disclosed yet...

El Tejano
04-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Jwells is alot better backup than THollings. The fact that he came back to us either says noone wanted him or he really wanted to stay with us.

LoNghoRn-TeXaN
04-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Texans | Bradford Re-signed - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:43:41 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Houston Texans have re-signed WR Corey Bradford to a one-year, $800,000 deal.

Texans | Wells Re-signed - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:47:03 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have re-signed RB Jonathan Wells. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl)

D-ReK
04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Jwells is alot better backup than THollings. The fact that he came back to us either says noone wanted him or he really wanted to stay with us.

He was a RFA, so even if anybody made him an offer, we had the right to match it...

Htown34s
04-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I think this says nothing but what we already know, which is that we don't know how this draft will play out any more than Casserly does.

With having all of our starting lineup set, we don't have to draft to fill a hole and can take the best available where ever that may be.

TexanFan881
04-11-2005, 06:04 PM
It is good to see him back, so are we looking for a wide reciever on the first day anymore?

keyfro
04-11-2005, 06:09 PM
it's good that we signed him now we can target a reciever in the 3rd round like texas a&m's terrence murphy and give him time to progress to our number 2 guy for a year

wells is a solid contributor he can be the punishing runner that capers wants if he stays in the weight room consistantly

Blake
04-11-2005, 06:18 PM
I love this signing. I really would hate to use the #13 pick on Williamson. Not trashing him, but I think its a bit high.

Now we can target a RB, CB, or Linebacker.

Also really makes me think we really are going to trade up.

CB, Antrel Rolle
LB, Derrick Johnson
One of the big 3 RB.

Even Mike Williams would be nice. Dont get me wrong, I dont think that WR is a waste in the 1st round. But I just think that there are only 2 WR to go for in the top of round 1. And we've got our Braylon Edwards.

Paragon Blue
04-11-2005, 06:21 PM
i think this is a good thing for us but I still think we take a reciever in the second round. some mocks have us taking Reggie Brown in the second.

SESupergenius
04-11-2005, 06:23 PM
I actually like the signing too, he's a veteran that won't coun't a lot against our cap. Besides we can always draft a WR to compete with him and let them dook it out in camp. If a rookie WR takes a couple of years to excel then we won't be regressing.......unlike the ILB spots! :woot

Wolf
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
seems we setting our team up so that we don't have a glaring need. (glaring being the key word)....we are keeping the team balanced so that how ever the first 12 picks go..we can still have options and not reach for a certain position...with that said...it makes it tough to see what we will do.

one trade up and get one of the elite players or trade down and get some players to groom when these veteran contracts are up? (i.e WR...CB...DL.)

aj.
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Also really makes me think we really are going to trade up. I have a sneaky suspicion it's DJ. Just don't break the bank if you do it.

Blake
04-11-2005, 06:34 PM
I have a sneaky suspicion it's DJ. Just don't break the bank if you do it.

$20 bucks says we break open the vault faster than a girl on prom night.

Im thinking 1st, 2nd, and one of the 3rds, for Miami's #2 overall pick.

keyfro
04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
for the home state DJ...make this johnson and johnson's team...sure why not...but i could easily see us trading up with the cards for antrel rolle too

D-ReK
04-11-2005, 06:39 PM

:rofl: Great analogy...Ahhh memories :thumbup

I'm sorry to say it, but I think our most likely trade partner is the Titans...I would hate to hand them our first day again...

Blake
04-11-2005, 06:40 PM
for the home state DJ...make this johnson and johnson's team...sure why not...but i could easily see us trading up with the cards for antrel rolle too

At least we could get some advertisment deals out of it. :)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-11-2005, 06:40 PM
let's just hope Cleveland doesn't take him at #3

DRIFTAWAY
04-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Alex Barron it is

D-ReK
04-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Alex Barron it is

I really, really hope not...What a waste of a pick he would be...But "word on the street" is the Texans don't even have Barron as the top rated OT on their board, so chances are my fears won't be realized...

TEXANS84
04-11-2005, 07:48 PM

Im thinking 1st, 2nd, and one of the 3rds, for Miami's #2 overall pick.

Sounds just like what I was thinking. But, I'm going to have to quote aj on his great article earlier in the month:

Most value charts have the second overall pick rated as 2600 “points.” The Texans currently own the 13th pick overall – a pick worth 1150 points according to most charts. So how could the Texans move all the way from 13 to second in the opening minutes of the draft on April 23? Well, you have to give up something to get something. And what the Texans would have to give the Dolphins in this case, in addition to their pick at 13 would be draft picks totaling 1450 points on the value chart – the difference between the second and 13th pick.

One scenario could have the Texans moving up to the No. 2 slot if they give up their first round pick (13th overall), their second round pick (47th overall), and one of their two third round picks this year (73rd or 78th overall). And that’s just for starters. That still leaves them about 800 points shy of an equitable deal according to the value chart. If GM Charley Casserly bets that the Texans capture the last playoff spot this season and register the 12th best record in the league - a possibility but not a certainty, that would give the Texans the 21st pick overall next year which happens to be worth 800 points.

So it would have to be the #13, 2nd, 3rd, and a 2006 #1. :hmmm:

Wolf
04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Sounds just like what I was thinking. But, I'm going to have to quote aj on his great article earlier in the month:

interesting,but I kinda hope we don't do that given the age of Coleman,Glenn,Walker, and Payne,it would be tough to get that defense younger

wags
04-11-2005, 07:58 PM

Well if this is the case you might as well add Derrick Johnson to your "Ahh, nevermind" signature.

DRIFTAWAY
04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Thing is though, that teams dont take out the pick chart and read it before doing a trade, our 1rst rounder and 2nd rounder and maybe our lower 3rd rounder for Miami's #2 stands fine. We need to go up to 2, to make sure Cleveland doesnt grab him.

P.S.- You never know, maybe Casserly already has a move up trade in place and is just waiting to announce it directly before the pick we are trading up for.
Ex.- Maybe there's already a deal for Miami's #2, but wont announce it yet in fear Cleveland would trade up for #1 and take D.J.

MojoX
04-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Thing is though, that teams dont take out the pick chart and read it before doing a trade, our 1rst rounder and 2nd rounder and maybe our lower 3rd rounder for Miami's #2 stands fine. We need to go up to 2, to make sure Cleveland doesnt grab him.
Add to that: each team develops their own draft chart and that chart values are relative to the talent in each draft.

I'd be surprised to see the Texans get up to #2. The 13 spot seems awfully far for Miami to drop; but anything is possible. With that said: if they move up, the team may want roll the dice on Chicago at 3 and move up to snag a top talent at 4-11.

aj.
04-11-2005, 08:50 PM
That article was my doomsday scenario and a bit of hyperbole by design. I really don't think it will take the #1 next year to get there, but on draft day when buck fever and the yips abound you never know what might happen, especially with a GM who is predicatably unpredictable.

TexanExile
04-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Dunno. Trading up in this year's draft should be cheaper. Several of the top 10 teams would probably love to trade down...

I'm not crazy about Bradford's signing because he's just not worth getting excited about. But I think we'll eventually be surprised that whoever trades up will do so for less than what's being estimated.

MojoX
04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
...a GM who is predicatably unpredictable.
But he isn't predictably stupid. Isn't Casserly a guy who epitomizes cool thinking and rational calculation? Getting draft fever and going Madden 2005 in the draft isn't likely with this guy.

outofhnd
04-11-2005, 11:08 PM
I think we are setting the table for drafting Demarcus Ware @13.

He has been in contact with the texans, panthers, cowboys, and chargers.
His stock has risen to the point where they predict him to go 11-15th in the draft. It is noted that the 2 texas teams seemed more interested in Ware.

We are definately going defense this year. In fact it is rumored that the redskins are not going to address the issue of Cornerback in round 1 this year. They have not had any corners come in and work out. Instead Mike Williams, Troy Williamson and Mark Clayton have all been attending workouts in Washington. So they may go WR at #9 which fits Snyder's thinking of draft offensive stars and buy defensive free agents.

Im so glad we dont have an owner like Snyder.

wags
04-11-2005, 11:19 PM
They have not had any corners come in and work out.

Redskins | Meet with Adam “Pac-Man” Jones - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:12:27 -0700

Jody Foldesy, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Redskins completed a pre-draft visit with West Virginia CB Adam Jones Friday, April 8.

Redskins | To Huddle with Miami’s Rolle - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:24:34 -0700

Jody Foldesy, of the Washington Times, reports the Washington Redskins are scheduled to conduct a pre-draft visit with University of Miami CB Antrel Rolle next week.

They also had Shawn Merriman in for a visit.

Dime
04-11-2005, 11:21 PM
I have to say I am VERY pleased with the resign of Wells. Ever since we have gone to zone blocking, he was was looking good and was hitting holes.. He even had a long TD that was called back due to a penalty.

Wolf
04-11-2005, 11:29 PM
I have to say I am VERY pleased with the resign of Wells. Ever since we have gone to zone blocking, he was was looking good and was hitting holes.. He even had a long TD that was called back due to a penalty.

IMO..wells has done ok.. I believe the 1st season was unfair to him (and Carr) due to poor blocking.. And Wells got shell shocked...I just wish he would deliver more blows and give defensive players some punishment with that body he has

Texansbacker
04-12-2005, 12:14 AM
IMO..wells has done ok.. I believe the 1st season was unfair to him (and Carr) due to poor blocking.. And Wells got shell shocked...I just wish he would deliver more blows and give defensive players some punishment with that body he has

It would be great to see Wells start to run with an attitude and run over some guys like DD with an additional 20+lbs. A nice one-two punch.

Grid
04-12-2005, 02:12 AM
If Wells could learn to run with some aggressiveness and use that size of his.. I garuntee he would be fighting with DD for the #1 spot. I am sure Capers would love to have a big RB that he could depend on to wear down defenses.. then have DD to exploit it.

TexansTrueFan
04-12-2005, 05:40 AM
i'm glad to see we resigned bradford, though i think we will still be drafting a WR in a later round to develop him, for when bradford is gone. And as for wells he showed he could be a good guy off the bench last season, so it dont seem likly to me that we will be drafting one of the high projected RB in the draft. I figure we will focus mainly on defense in the draft.

outofhnd
04-12-2005, 06:10 AM
What choice do we have?

Our pass rush was terrible.

Our tackling at times was just horrendous.

our secondary saved us in games by creating turnovers.

Our defense was very un impressive especially when you think about the steelers D and how sack happy it was.

we need pressure.

TexansTrueFan
04-12-2005, 06:19 AM
What choice do we have?

Our pass rush was terrible.

Our tackling at times was just horrendous.

our secondary saved us in games by creating turnovers.

Our defense was very un impressive especially when you think about the steelers D and how sack happy it was.

we need pressure.

after beign an established team for only 3 full seasons, i dont see how u can expect us to have a top 5 defense along with a top 10 offense, we are getting the players to do that but it does take time especially considering we have done most of it through the draft. Once we do have a good defense it will be awesome for years to come, same with offense primarily because all of our players are young.

outofhnd
04-12-2005, 06:39 AM
im a defensive guy ive been wanting Defense since draft day 03. I was glad to see us handle secondary last year but felt we could have picked up some DTs.
Heck i forgot who Andre Johnson was and got miffed that we didnt draft Robertson that year. I did recall later when they showed him and his miami number.
i just feel the longer we wait to address the D line te worse our pass rush will get because if our front three cant tie up the blockers, then the blockers are gonna tie up our pass rushers.
Id like to see us get a lil younger in our rotation. I always criticize the things i love. which at this point i think it goes texans, self preservation, astros, my dog and girlfriend, as much as i critique the teams.

El Tejano
04-12-2005, 12:26 PM
How come everyone is sounding as if Wells didn't run hard this past year. I remember both games against Tenn, K.C., The Raiders, and even against the Jags where he made some key 3rd down conversions for us late in the game to secure wins and a couple 100 yrd performances.

I like his team attitude and hope he does well this season.

vtech9
04-12-2005, 01:23 PM
How come everyone is sounding as if Wells didn't run hard this past year. I remember both games against Tenn, K.C., The Raiders, and even against the Jags where he made some key 3rd down conversions for us late in the game to secure wins and a couple 100 yrd performances.

I like his team attitude and hope he does well this season.
I liked what I saw from Wells last year. I think he got into a bad groove his first year by trying to run like James Allen. Allen was the veteran RB, and Wells started running the same way. He started the stutter-stepping look for a hole type of running instead of just pounding the ball, and when it didn't work, I think he lost his confidence. These past 2 years he has watched DD, and I think he has really improved because of it. I think he is finally starting to realize that if DD can run through tackles he should be able to. I had almost given up on Wells until last year, and I think if he can continue to improve, he could make a pretty good starter in this league.

OzzO
04-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Some additional info from the chronic (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3130015)
Corey Bradford sounded like a man without a country when he entered the free-agent market in search of a team that would utilize him more than the Texans did the past three seasons.

After surveying the NFL landscape, Bradford discovered his best fit was in Houston, and he replanted his flag with the Texans on Monday by agreeing to a one-year contract worth $800,000, including a $150,000 signing bonus.

Bradford, a seven-year veteran who led the team with a career-best 697 receiving yards in 2002, saw his role reduced after the Texans selected Andre Johnson......

...Bradford visited the Lions and Giants before focusing his attention on re-signing here.

"The Texans had a better record last year than the teams I was looking at," Bradford said. "We've gotten better every year, and I think this is the year we're going to do it — the playoffs and everything. This is going to be that year, and I'd like to be a part of that."

Bradford's new contract seems like a bargain for the Texans, considering the team gave him a three-year, $5.25 million deal with a $1.8 million signing bonus when it signed him as a free agent in 2002....

...The Texans' hope then was that after serving as the third receiver for most of his first four years in Green Bay, Bradford was ready to be a primary target. He proved to be a legitimate deep threat for the Texans, averaging 16.2 yards a catch, but the team often struggled to get the ball into his hands. Since Johnson's arrival, Bradford has caught more than three passes in a game just once.

"I talked to coach (offensive coordinator Chris) Palmer and (receivers coach) Kippy (Brown), and they told me we were putting some new wrinkles in the offense that would give me more opportunities to do what I do best, so I feel good about that," Bradford said....

...I just felt good about doing a one-year contract, seeing what happens and maybe hitting the market again next year."

I'm interested to see what these new wrinkles are gonna be. With BMcN setting a priority of protecting Carr better, Joppru coming back (hopefully long term), Wells back, 2nd year for O-line blocking scheme... it's gonna be interesting.

El Tejano
04-12-2005, 01:45 PM
I think he will be a good back up this year but will draw more interest from other teams next year. I always liked the fact that he never gave any bad attitude about his situation and did what he had to do to excell on Special Teams to keep his job.

THEFUTURE
04-12-2005, 03:01 PM
all this talk about drafting a WR later is bothering me. we already did that once, Kendrick Starling is still being developed. Call me impatient, but i would like to see a WR at the 2 spot that will contribute this year, and no one we have on the roster can do that. and dont tell me gaff or armstrong, cuz they are slot receivers, and wont play at the 2 position. bradford did a below avg to avg at most job last year, and made a good play maybe once in a blue moon. draft a wr, make teams respect both WR on the field, make it easy on everyone else on the texans offense. so andre isnt getting tripled, carr isnt holding the ball trying to find someone, anyone thats open, DD isnt getting rushed 30 times a game, plus his 6-7 receptions a game that will wear on him. the line wont have to block as long, since david has more then one reliable option to look at now, and wont have to hold the ball (this isnt all the time, but there are times david holds the ball and gets sacked, and there is a majority of the time where the line does break down, but in this instance im referring to only carr onlding on to the ball)

El Tejano
04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
If we got a top rookie WR in the 1st round, would we all be willing to give him the time we have given Gaffney to adjust to the NFL game? I mean, afterall, this is the year we compete to make the playoffs. I think that there are other players at different positions that could come in and make an immediate impact other than receiver.

Hervoyel
04-12-2005, 03:49 PM
I simply want to say that our recievers for the most part are young. Our quarterback is young. Our line has provided so little protection and time for our quarterback that he's set an NFL record for eating turf. Anyone who thinks they've seen what Gaffney, Armstrong, Starling, or even Johnson are going to be capable of when pass plays have time to fully develop is mistaken.

WR is not a serious need on this team.

barzilla
04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
If we got a top rookie WR in the 1st round, would we all be willing to give him the time we have given Gaffney to adjust to the NFL game? I mean, afterall, this is the year we compete to make the playoffs. I think that there are other players at different positions that could come in and make an immediate impact other than receiver.

I think this would depend on who the reciever is. Andre Johnson came in and caught 60+ passes for nearly 1000 yards in his rookie year. If we brought in a rookie that could produce 50 catches and 800 yards it would really help the offense. I don't think Gaffney and Bradford will even combine for much more than those numbers. In particular, I don't have much use for Bradford.

I think in Gaffney's case we got a reliable WR that just doesn't have the explosiveness to be a starting NFL WR. As a guy in the slot or a third WR he is perfectly acceptable. Of course, we need that number two guy to make it work.

Listen, this team needs difference makers somewhere. I don't think we can afford to go into the draft and pidgeon-hole ourselves into picking a certain position. My problem is that when I look on both sides of the ball I see very few truly good players. I think Carr and Johnson have the opportunity to be that on offense while Robinson and Glenn (for now) are that on defense. The rest of the regulars are filled with guys that are solid (they'll hold down the fort) but little else. The difficulty is that at number thirteen there might not be impact players available. But if there is one we should take it almost regardless of the position (except QB).