PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Class 2011

kiwitexansfan
02-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Shannon Sharpe, Richard Dent, Ed Sabol, Les Richter and Chris Hanburger.

Can't argue with any of the ones I've heard of.

infantrycak
02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
I thought Sanders and Faulk were dead set locks and Dent and Sharpe were likely, certain to make it at some point the question was just when. I consider non-players separately and Sabol was a lock as well.

Lucky
02-06-2011, 09:34 AM
So none of the WRs (Tim Brown, Chris Carter, Andre Reed) make it in? Why the hate on WRs from the HOF voters? Sharpe was a great player. Not better than Carter or Reed, however.

Texan4Ever
02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
So none of the WRs (Tim Brown, Chris Carter, Andre Reed) make it in? Why the hate on WRs from the HOF voters? Sharpe was a great player. Not better than Carter or Reed, however.

There is a logjam at that position and most voters are thinking about the order in which to vote them all in. This goes for almost all the positions, but because you can't go off on stats alone, the voters have to know what the players did that made them stand out during there tenure no matter how short otherwise guys like Floyd Little or John Riggins would never be in the HOF.

I hope Willie Roaf gets in at the same time as his teammate Will Shields, now that would be something!

kiwitexansfan
02-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I am not oversold on any of the WRs.

I don't feel at any point Reed or Brown were the best WRs in the NFL.

Carter is my second favourite WR of all time and I still don't think he deserves it.

I think Brown is the closest but only if you count his ST work.

Showtime100
02-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I get the feeling Deion will change his first name to Sir. Emmitt, Deion, and Marshall were just on.....not an once of humility.....I had to change the channel only to see that impressionist hack Frank Caliendo. :gun:

JB
02-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I get the feeling Deion will change his first name to Sir. Emmitt, Deion, and Marshall were just on.....not an once of humility.....I had to change the channel only to see that impressionist hack Frank Caliendo. :gun:

What channel are they on?

Showtime100
02-06-2011, 03:13 PM
What channel are they on?

The HOF guys were on NBC, I can't remember where Frank The Hack was. Wait, Frank was on FOX. You didn't miss anything if that helps

JB
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM
The HOF guys were on NBC, I can't remember where Frank The Hack was. Wait, Frank was on FOX. You didn't miss anything if that helps

Yeah, I had it on Fox

wagonhed
02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
WRs get more recognition and fame, just like QBs and WRs. Doesn't mean they are more deserving of the HoF. I have absolutely no problem with Reed, Brown or Carter not making it in, and frankly I would be opposed to more than 1 of them making it in ultimately. Probably Carter.

Lucky
02-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't feel at any point Reed or Brown were the best WRs in the NFL.

So the only HOF WR from the 80's & 90's is Jerry Rice? That's an elite "group". More like the Hall Closet of Fame.

ChampionTexan
02-06-2011, 04:26 PM
So the only HOF WR from the 80's & 90's is Jerry Rice? That's an elite "group". More like the Hall Closet of Fame.

Well, there's also Michael Irvin and Art Monk.

Lucky
02-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Well, there's also Michael Irvin and Art Monk.
My statement was in reference to kiwi's assertion that Reed nor Brown were never the NFL's top WR. They played during the Rice era, so that would be a tough criteria to meet. Warren Moon was never the top QB in the NFL, but he's still in the HOF.

kiwitexansfan
02-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Monk was the best before Rice and I think Irvin could claim to be the best for a time perhaps.

Not overly sold on Irvin to be honest but you can't question Monk's greatness.

ChampionTexan
02-06-2011, 09:14 PM
My statement was in reference to kiwi's assertion that Reed nor Brown were never the NFL's top WR. They played during the Rice era, so that would be a tough criteria to meet. Warren Moon was never the top QB in the NFL, but he's still in the HOF.

My bad - misunderstood what you were saying.

Double Barrel
02-07-2011, 12:02 PM

It's a travesty that Carter and Brown aren't in, yet.

BigBull17
02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Cris Carter was a bad mother ****er, if he doesn't make it in, it's gonna be a hard sell for any future WR's. I don't get why he gets no love. If you trade his QB's with Steve Young or Joe Montana his numbers are at least as good as Rice's. It's unbelievable that he can't sniff the HoF.

Dread-Head
02-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Shannon Sharpe, Richard Dent, Ed Sabol, Les Richter and Chris Hanburger.

Can't argue with any of the ones I've heard of.

:vincepalm: Oh sweet merciful mother of Iesvs You mean mushmouth is gonna give a SPEECH!? Oh God!

GP
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

I know, right?

Wow. Sharpe is in and Carter isn't? Geez....

kiwitexansfan
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Shannon Sharpe redefined TE as a position that was a huge threat in the passing game.

I agree with that selection 100%.

Texan4Ever
02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Shannon Sharpe redefined TE as a position that was a huge threat in the passing game.

I agree with that selection 100%.

Yep, he was basically a big WR playing with his hand down at a position called tight end. As far as I know, he couldn't block worth shyt!

Double Barrel
02-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Great points, Showtime. But, it's to be expected when we elevate these entertainers above the common man with fortune and fame, lavishing them with copious amounts of praise and adulation for merely playing a sport at a high level. These guys have massively inflated egos because the public tends to blow up those balloons with hot air, so it should be no surprise that they float above us in their attitudes.

You noticed it's the old school players, the ones who had to have regular jobs to put food on the table, are the ones that we hope the newer players follow in humility and attitude. But different era, and certainly these new HoF inductees are a sign of the times.

wagonhed
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Great points, Showtime. But, it's to be expected when we elevate these entertainers above the common man with fortune and fame, lavishing them with copious amounts of praise and adulation for merely playing a sport at a high level. These guys have massively inflated egos because the public tends to blow up those balloons with hot air, so it should be no surprise that they float above us in their attitudes.

You noticed it's the old school players, the ones who had to have regular jobs to put food on the table, are the ones that we hope the newer players follow in humility and attitude. But different era, and certainly these new HoF inductees are a sign of the times.

Check out Joe Namath, Deacon Jones, Jerry Rice, Bruce Smith for counter-examples to this.