PDA

View Full Version : A Williams, and a way

Wolf
02-05-2011, 09:37 AM
IRVING, Texas — If Bob McNair is wondering why his Houston Texans [team stats] seem mired in mediocrity, he need only watch Tramon Williams tomorrow night.

Williams is “the other cornerback” of the Packers, a title that comes with playing on the opposite side of 2009 Defensive Player of the Year Charles Woodson. Having said that, Williams is anything but “the other” anything, as his nine interceptions this season suggest.

Four years ago, however, Williams was an employee of McNair’s Texans, who had the foresight to sign him as an undrafted free agent. What they didn’t have was the foresight to sign him to the practice squad after releasing him among their final cuts. That’s not to say the Packers were exactly prescient themselves, because if they had been they wouldn’t have waited nearly three months to sign the former Louisiana Tech cornerback to their practice squad.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/2011_0205a_williams_and_a_way_pack_cb_makes_mark/srvc=home&position=also

DexmanC
02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/2011_0205a_williams_and_a_way_pack_cb_makes_mark/srvc=home&position=also

Bah. According to the Kubiak lovers, there has been NO player who's
gone on to do ANYTHING significant once the Texans let him go. Smithiak
has the best eyes for talent than ANY front office in the NFL, dontyaknow?

DexmanC. You're too negative. Don't you have ANYTHING positive to say?

Just thought I'd quote you guys first, before someone asks me that question. When
this team becomes a REAL NFL squad, positive words will flow forth like the waters of
a monsoon.

Wolf
02-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Just thought I'd quote you guys first, before someone asks me that question. When
this team becomes a REAL NFL squad, positive words will flow forth like the waters of
a monsoon.

problem is that there seems to be no gray area between supporters and no supporters ...

most threads get derailed so bad that it makes congress smile

anyway.. the ipad wasn't letting me quote(it was scrolling the whole page and not just the thread)

what I wanted to quote also

“I feel like I put together a quality training camp in Houston, and things just didn’t go my way at that point,” Williams said this week. “I know I didn’t like the feeling of being cut, so that’s what I really took from it.

“I went into Green Bay with a fearless attitude that if I didn’t make the team for a reason, I’d done everything I possibly could to make it.”

badboy
02-05-2011, 12:31 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/2011_0205a_williams_and_a_way_pack_cb_makes_mark/srvc=home&position=alsoI think recognizing players is part of it but we have not been successful coaching our guys up. This might change with Phillips and his coaches. We will see.

CloakNNNdagger
02-05-2011, 12:39 PM

a monsoon.

Right now it should surprise no one that the waters seen flowing now are mostly in the form of copious and torrential diarrhea.

Big Lou
02-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm so tired of hearing aout how the Texans cut Williams.

Although I have no data to support it, I'm fairly confident that every team in the NFL has cut some one only to see them bloom on another team.

This team has bigger problems than "The Texans are so backwards, they would have been contenders with Tramon Williams had they not cut him".

I'm sure if he was playing CB for the 2010 Texans he wouldn't have played to the level he played on the Packers Defense this year, thats forsure.

Bush and Gibbs could have had Scrabble, Revis, and any choice of Safeties and still wouldn't have been able to get the pass defense in to the low 20's!!!!!

Cutting Tramon Williams was not what did in the 2010 Texans....

Dutchrudder
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
32 teams passed on Tramon Williams in seven rounds of the draft, so yeah, even the Packers didn't see it in him for a couple years. Really, no one should be blaming the Texans for letting this guy go when they did.

Lucky
02-05-2011, 04:08 PM
32 teams passed on Tramon Williams in seven rounds of the draft, so yeah, even the Packers didn't see it in him for a couple years. Really, no one should be blaming the Texans for letting this guy go when they did.
The Texans should not be criticized for this one move. They should be lambasted for not developing a CB in 5 seasons (and counting).

Doppelganger
02-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Just out of curiosity, aside from the GB corner, what other quality players have slipped through Kubes' hands? It would be interesting to see how many have slipped through. Very few would also suggest Smith isn't finding all that many gems in the later/FA rounds.

Norg
02-05-2011, 04:23 PM
And. 32 other teams including us didn't draft foster these kinda things happen

Doppelganger
02-05-2011, 04:25 PM
And. 32 other teams including us didn't draft foster these kinda things happen

You could say that Foster was passed over by each team around 7 times..as is every other FA signing.

m5kwatts
02-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Ozzie Newsome cut James Harrison once. Heck, the Steelers cut James Harrison multiple times. It happens.

Is it possible Tramon Williams was a better, hungrier, smarter player when he got to Green Bay than when he was here?

texansdrummer
02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Ozzie Newsome cut James Harrison once. Heck, the Steelers cut James Harrison multiple times. It happens.

Is it possible Tramon Williams was a better, hungrier, smarter player when he got to Green Bay than when he was here?

Impossible.......it's all on the Texans. Getting cut couldn't have possibly made him work/try harder for his next (and possibly final) chance to play in the NFL. We're the only team that "misses" on things like this and every player available would "fit" perfectly to our system. There's no way a player could come to the Texans and not be an All-Pro if given the chance. Just look at Arian Foster.

(Do I really need to insert the "sarcasm" smiley here?)

ArlingtonTexan
02-05-2011, 06:14 PM

His quotes indicate this is exactly what happened.

Maddict5
02-05-2011, 06:20 PM
like other have said, nobody drafted him & it took 3 months after the texans cut him before the (injury-depleted) packers picked him up.

criticising the texans for this one is ridiculous. congrats to tramon also. hes learned well & had to work hard to get to where he is now

JB
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM

His quotes indicate this is exactly what happened.

I was curious as to when someone was going to point this out. He pretty much implies that he did not give it is all here. That a "good" camp was not going to get it done.

DexmanC
02-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Right now it should surprise no one that the waters seen flowing now are mostly in the form of copious and torrential diarrhea.

I guess that's where Reliant gets its wonderful STANK scent from.

steelbtexan
02-05-2011, 10:41 PM

ROFL

Uhhh Uhhh that smell

The smell of it surrounds you.

texanchris
02-06-2011, 06:20 AM
:deadhorse

Dishman
02-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, aside from the GB corner, what other quality players have slipped through Kubes' hands? It would be interesting to see how many have slipped through. Very few would also suggest Smith isn't finding all that many gems in the later/FA rounds.

Jason Babin?

Maybe there are others, but his name comes to mind. He too had to find his way, through Seattle, before the lights came on with the Titans.

My concern is that the players we do have are not being coached up right and making strides.

thunderkyss
02-06-2011, 08:56 AM

You're making shit up. I challenge you to find any such statement, from any thread, from any time.

The argument is that no-one Kubiak inherited was worth a shit, minus Andre Johnson.

Kubiak brought in (& subsequently released) Tramon Williams after 31 other teams passed on him 7 times in the NFL draft.

thunderkyss
02-06-2011, 09:04 AM

It took him two and a half years to crack the starting lineup, three years to solidify himself as a permanent fixture.

I'd say the guy worked his ass off to prove he belonged in the league.

EllisUnit
02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm so tired of hearing aout how the Texans cut Williams.

Although I have no data to support it, I'm fairly confident that every team in the NFL has cut some one only to see them bloom on another team.

This team has bigger problems than "The Texans are so backwards, they would have been contenders with Tramon Williams had they not cut him".

I'm sure if he was playing CB for the 2010 Texans he wouldn't have played to the level he played on the Packers Defense this year, thats forsure.

Bush and Gibbs could have had Scrabble, Revis, and any choice of Safeties and still wouldn't have been able to get the pass defense in to the low 20's!!!!!

Cutting Tramon Williams was not what did in the 2010 Texans....

some how i have to strongly disagree with you, Good players can make bad coaches look good. Since Tony Dungy left the colts, they havent been the same, they have been good but thats cause they have such talent, is it the coach that makes them look so good ???? Probably not.

BigBull17
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM

Yeah, of all the things you CAN criticize them for, this is a very small thing.