PDA

View Full Version : Texans Line Rules this ALL AFC South Team.

EllisUnit
02-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Pro Football Focus’ All AFC-South Team makes for an interesting read.

It matches up with much of my all-division team from January 20 but doesn’t leave the poorest spots vacant as I did.

The most interesting positions are along the offensive line, where PFF chooses a Houston Texan, a Houston Texan, a Houston Texan, a Houston Texans and, wait for it… a Houston Texan.

The line did great work for Arian Foster but not as great work keeping people off Matt Schaub. It’s high praise for the Texans, but also says a lot about the division's other 15 starters and the results they got.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

Left Tackle

Duane Brown (Houston Texans)

His pass blocking still needs work, but some good run blocking earned him this nod over Michael Roos, who is living off his 2008 play.

Left Guard

Wade Smith (Houston Texans)

Would be better if he was more consistent with his run blocking but a shrewd signing. May go down as the best piece of value for money business this past off season.

Center

Chris Myers (Houston Texans)

Just beats out Jeff Saturday. Myers was as good as any with his run blocking, but 20 pressures are too many for a center to give up. Redeemed himself by not being penalized once all season.

Right Guard

Mike Brisiel (Houston Texans)

No real competition for this spot, so the man with 510 snaps makes the team. He was good in those snaps (at times very good), but there’s a lack of depth in this division at guard.

Right Tackle

Eric Winston (Houston Texans)

Had some really bad games (whenever Jason Babin lined up against him) but take away those moments and Winston is one of the better right tackles in the league.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/01/24/the-profootballfocus-com-all-afc-south-team/

EllisUnit
02-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I thought we had a great line as far as the run went, but our pass protection was suspect. Regardless i do think we have one of the more solid o-lines in the NFL, and they will only get better.

eriadoc
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Center

Chris Myers (Houston Texans)

Just beats out Jeff Saturday. Myers was as good as any with his run blocking, but 20 pressures are too many for a center to give up. Redeemed himself by not being penalized once all season.

I thought Chris Myers had his best season as a Texan, but the bolded is the knock on him, and why I really want a new center.

b0ng
02-03-2011, 09:44 PM
I thought Chris Myers had his best season as a Texan, but the bolded is the knock on him, and why I really want a new center.

I was going to say something snarky here but I really don't know who the best pass protector on the team is. I think everybody that started at least one game on the line had at least one terrible game of giving up pressure, so I don't even know.

They kicked ass in the running game though.

Thorn
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Just wait 'till next year!!!!111!!

BSofA04
02-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Winston had a forgettable year in pass protection this past season. Solid RT, don't get me wrong, but got beat too often than in previous years. Too many "Look out (Schaub)!!!!" blocks.

EllisUnit
02-04-2011, 12:30 AM

i think myers is just generally undersized to be a Center. I think he does an ok job but he is a liability on the line IMO.

TheIronDuke
02-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Myers was well worth a 6th round pick and I doubt Smith and co can draft a better center given their track record of drafting OL and every other position on offense and defense.

EllisUnit
02-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Myers was well worth a 6th round pick and I doubt Smith and co can draft a better center given their track record of drafting OL and every other position on offense and defense.

oh no doubt we've made good of him as a 6th rounder, but if we could up grade i would. will we, not likely.

TheIronDuke
02-04-2011, 12:58 AM
For once the last thing I'm worried about is the O line. That'll probably change next year when we somehow have a kick ass defense that kept us in every game but a horribly bad offensive line that got dominated and lost 10 games for us.

disaacks3
02-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Just wait 'till next year!!!!111!! Yep, we're "On the Right Track!"

Corrosion
02-04-2011, 01:47 AM
Chris Myers was horrible in 09. I cant count the times I complained about the guy. The Center spot was one of the main positions I hoped they'd go early in the draft. I think only CB and FS were more important to me at the time.

This year he was much improved. If he can repeat in '11 what he did in'10 .... You will hear no complaints from me. Maybe that ankle injury was the source of all his problems ....

I dont mind eatin some crow.

maddogmrb
02-04-2011, 01:48 AM
How many teams would take Chris Meyers over Jeff Saturday .... I would say none, including the Texans.

Jackie Chiles
02-04-2011, 03:28 AM
How many teams would take Chris Meyers over Jeff Saturday .... I would say none, including the Texans.

For one season or moving forward? Myers has a lot more left in the tank. Plus, Saturday is good but he is one of those guys Manning's greatness rubs off on.

As for Myers, he really had a fine year. I think he is our center for at least as long as Kubiak is the HC and we run this offense. We even have depth on the line, I mean Caldwell can hardly crack the rotation and I have a feeling Shelley Smith will start a lot of games for us before his career is over.

edo783
02-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Not too long ago we had what most folks thought was the worst O-line in the NFL. Now, we have at least a respectable one.

thunderkyss
02-05-2011, 01:04 AM

How does this statement fit in a thread where the all five members of our OL is selected as the best in the division.

They drafted Brown, Cardwell, & Winston. Brisiel was an undrafted FA.

& I know Cardwell doesn't start. But you saw plenty of him this season, are you saying he isn't any good? Looked fine to me.

Not to mention we have the league's leading rusher & 3 running backs that averaged 5 ypc.

infantrycak
02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Chris Myers was horrible in 09. I cant count the times I complained about the guy. The Center spot was one of the main positions I hoped they'd go early in the draft. I think only CB and FS were more important to me at the time.

This year he was much improved. If he can repeat in '11 what he did in'10 .... You will hear no complaints from me. Maybe that ankle injury was the source of all his problems ....

I dont mind eatin some crow.

Kind of strange but we have seen it before. Steve McKinney was getting just blown up one year (can't remember specifically) and the next year he came out and did a really good job. Odd how that happens sometimes.

ArlingtonTexan
02-05-2011, 10:48 AM
While I think the Texans OL is now solid, they were not dominate enough to have all five members be the best in the division without some :stooges: type play from the ols of the Colts, Jaguars, and Titans.

thunderkyss
02-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Kind of strange but we have seen it before. Steve McKinney was getting just blown up one year (can't remember specifically) and the next year he came out and did a really good job. Odd how that happens sometimes.

Chris Myers got blown up one time, by a guy who blew everyone in front of him up in 2009.

Myers' biggest problem was headupassitus last year, missing the read on the delayed blitz, helping where no help was needed, thereby letting a free rusher straight up the middle. (Might have been slowed by the ankle).

But unless you expect all players to play with no mistakes ever.... Chris played well last season. I don't remember, but I bet his pass pro numbers were better last year.

thunderkyss
02-05-2011, 11:21 AM
While I think the Texans OL is now solid, they were not dominate enough to have all five members be the best in the division without some :stooges: type play from the ols of the Colts, Jaguars, and Titans.

Very good point.

Well played.. Sir, well played.

TheIronDuke
02-05-2011, 11:58 AM
How does this statement fit in a thread where the all five members of our OL is selected as the best in the division.

They drafted Brown, Cardwell, & Winston. Brisiel was an undrafted FA.

& I know Cardwell doesn't start. But you saw plenty of him this season, are you saying he isn't any good? Looked fine to me.

Not to mention we have the league's leading rusher & 3 running backs that averaged 5 ypc.

Of those players you mentioned only Brown and "Cardwell" were drafted by Rick Smith. Caldwell can't even beat out Briesel.

But I will admit that I was just bitching about the FO.