PDA

View Full Version : Phillips

steelbtexan
02-02-2011, 11:07 AM
For all of the positive vibe surrounding the Phillips hire. There's one thing that's been nagging me.

Phillips just got thru coordinating a Cowboys defense that gave up the most points in Cowboys history last yr.

While I do believe Phillips is a major upgrade over Bush. I dont believe hiring Phillips is the panacea some on the MB are touting him to be.

It will really come down to getting 5/6 new players on defense to turn the defense around from being historically bad to average. The only guys that I would consider to be playmakers are A.Smith,MW,Cushing,Quin if he's moved to S. Also Barwin and Ryans if they're healthy. That's a big if.

So how do you go about aquiring these players is the question. Bob's going to have to spend $$$$ to aquire 2 FA's on defense. A competent DB would be a great place to start. The other 3 players will have to be aquired through the daft.

The good news is this is a deep draft for the Texans needs on defense NT,S,CB,LB and these 3 difference makers that could be drafted witin the first 4 rds. The depth is there to get these players.

The bad news is that Smith/Kubiak/Greir will be the ones picking the defensive players. Hopefully those 3 will be taking a bathroom break when it's the Texans time on the clock and Phillips is allowed to get the players that fit his system. I want to believe this is what will happen. But I have my doubts.

BTW It's sad to see the Packers and former Oiler Thompson in the SB. Along with Highsmith being their main scout of college players. Adding all of this talent aand getting to the SB. Meanwhile the Texans, Smithiak continue to tread water and now Phillips is supposed to walk on water and fix a defense that has stunk for 9 yrs and make it a playoff caliber defense in his 1st yr as DC. I hope he can do this but I have my doubts as long as the Smithiak/Greir are calling the shots in the war room.

Vinnie
02-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I really haven't seen many folks getting excited to the point they think Phillips is just what the doctor ordered for the Texans. Mostly people remarking he's been a slight breath of fresh air from what we've had in the past. I'm staying hopeful he has some pull on draft choices, and seeing as he was a Bob hire, not a Kubiak, I'm betting he will. It won't bother me in the least if they take nothing but defense in this draft.

El Tejano
02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Talking to alot of Cowboys fans there are some who felt the Defense was horrible but they along with alot more fans believe they were horrible because of Dallas' inability to keep the ball in their hands.

TheCD
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
For all of the positive vibe surrounding the Phillips hire. There's one thing that's been nagging me.

Phillips just got thru coordinating a Cowboys defense that gave up the most points in Cowboys history last yr.

While I do believe Phillips is a major upgrade over Bush. I dont believe hiring Phillips is the panacea some on the MB are touting him to be.

Will he end up being the greatest thing to ever happen to Houston? I don't think so. But as far as that Cowboys defense last year, the team began to believe that was a team of destiny to play in their home for the Super Bowl, they were old and the wheels fell off. That may or may be the fault of Phillips as HC, but being a DC we don't have to worry about him letting the team believe their sh!t don't stink.

Based on what the Cowboys did the year before, it seems to me like something more than just coaching led to that catastrophic meltdown, and personally I think it has to do with the owner putting ideas in the players heads.

ArlingtonTexan
02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
One the announcers here just spent 15 minutes detailing the conservtive nature of Wade's 3-4 versus the Pitssburgh/Green Bay models. Apparently, the cowboys only blitzed their DBs a total of 50 times i.e. (3 times a game) and basically never blitzed a CB. In fact, 50 was the high water mark for blitzing with the Cowboys (from the DB poistion).

Think these numbers can e verified through one of the nerd stat sites if you guys give me a few minutes.

srrono
02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I do not blame Phillips for the Cowboys calapse it was a perfect storm of over confidence by the entire Dallas Organization and city. Newspapers, talk shows, and television shows all talked of Dallas being in the Superbowl at home before the season even started.The team thought all the had to do is show up to be in the Superbowl.

Malloy
02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Think these numbers can e verified through one of the nerd stat sites if you guys give me a few minutes.

Your few minutes are up! :)

Hervoyel
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I think a lot of us might feel that Phillips is an improvement but that there are bigger problems with the Texans than just his hiring alone could compensate for. Next season the wheels come off this thing. Next season is Gary Kubiak's "2005". Mark it on your calendar because we'll be discussing the next head coach of the Houston Texans this time in 2012. Not a doubt in my mind.

dc_txtech
02-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I think a lot of us might feel that Phillips is an improvement but that there are bigger problems with the Texans than just his hiring alone could compensate for. Next season the wheels come off this thing. Next season is Gary Kubiak's "2005". Mark it on your calendar because we'll be discussing the next head coach of the Houston Texans this time in 2012. Not a doubt in my mind.

I think (hope) you're wrong on this one. That said, I wouldn't bet against you either.

Doppelganger
02-02-2011, 05:58 PM

It will really come down to getting 5/6 new players on defense to turn the defense around from being historically bad to average. The only guys that I would consider to be playmakers are A.Smith,MW,Cushing,Quin if he's moved to S. Also Barwin and Ryans if they're healthy. That's a big if.

So how do you go about aquiring these players is the question. Bob's going to have to spend $$$$ to aquire 2 FA's on defense. A competent DB would be a great place to start. The other 3 players will have to be aquired through the daft.

The good news is this is a deep draft for the Texans needs on defense NT,S,CB,LB and these 3 difference makers that could be drafted witin the first 4 rds. The depth is there to get these players.

The bad news is that Smith/Kubiak/Greir will be the ones picking the defensive players. Hopefully those 3 will be taking a bathroom break when it's the Texans time on the clock and Phillips is allowed to get the players that fit his system. I want to believe this is what will happen. But I have my doubts.

BTW It's sad to see the Packers and former Oiler Thompson in the SB. Along with Highsmith being their main scout of college players. Adding all of this talent aand getting to the SB. Meanwhile the Texans, Smithiak continue to tread water and now Phillips is supposed to walk on water and fix a defense that has stunk for 9 yrs and make it a playoff caliber defense in his 1st yr as DC. I hope he can do this but I have my doubts as long as the Smithiak/Greir are calling the shots in the war room.

The Phillips hiring is generally lukewarm becuase
1. Everyone expected it
2. A lot of people wanted Kubes gone

That said, Phillips is a very solid DC. In the history of the Texans they have never had a "solid" DC. If Kubes can get the offense to show up in the first half and if Wade can take the defense into the low 20's, they have a shot at being a decent team next year.

ArlingtonTexan
02-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Your few minutes are up! :)

ooops ..got a personal phone call and then started to work once that was over.

drs23
02-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Ya know there are priorities? :winky:

EllisUnit
02-02-2011, 07:30 PM

i dont know if Philips can FIX the defense, but i feel better knowing he's running things instead of Bush/Kubiak. How much worse could it be :runaway:

Texan_Bill
02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Talking to alot of Cowboys fans there are some who felt the Defense was horrible but they along with alot more fans believe they were horrible because of Dallas' inability to keep the ball in their hands.

:hmmm:

Kinda reminds me of this one defense, that had some pretty good players (and playmakers), but were stuck with inept offense and a worse quarterback who liked to go fetal...

I just can't place that team....

:thinking:

thunderkyss
02-02-2011, 07:44 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. What's worse than that, they gave up on him.

I like the pedigree, I like the history.... but those guys gave up on him. The offensive guys kept playing. The defense quit.

GNTLEWOLF
02-03-2011, 05:56 AM

Nah......Kubiak has a built-in excuse for another failed season. The team has to get used to a new defensive coordinator and a new defense. That alone ought to buy Kubiak another two years in Mcnair's world. It just never ends. The excuses keep coming, and coming, and coming, and coming.........

BTW HERV, I hope you are right. This post just reflects my utter disgust at what should have been obvious this season, but apparently was not. My attitude really sucks right now, and I know it. I just wish I could drink the koolaide again and believe in Kubiak like I did Carr when he was so obviously crapped out and I couldn't see it. The results this year have changed my whole point of view about McNair, and since it is His money and not mine there is nothing I can do about it except complain. I hate feeling this way.

ArlingtonTexan
02-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Actually the stat I was looking for are buryied in profootballfouc's premium section...i.e. I am not paying for them at the moment.

Malloy
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Actually the stat I was looking for are buryied in profootballfouc's premium section...i.e. I am not paying for them at the moment.

So you're telling us you need more time ? :)

ArlingtonTexan
02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
So you're telling us you need more time ? :)

No, that making sure the dude is not lying isn't worth $90 to me.

GP
02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Not sure if anyone has said this yet....

But the hire of Wade Phillips, which essentially gives us a head coach for the offense (Kubiak) and a head coach for the defense (Phillips) could backfire big time.

Why?

Bob McNair has essentially made an us vs. them arrangement, IMO.

If one side of the ball isn't getting their job done out there, the other side of the ball will see it as the head coach and players of that other unit NOT doing its job. This could pit offense vs. defense. I can envision Antonio Smith putting his finger into the chest of a guy like Eric Winston on the sideline, or other such shenanigans that involve accusing, blaming, and other such behavior.

It could cause division if it doesn't work out well. Wade and Gary could end up with a contentious situation on their hands.

Was already thinking this way yesterday, and then last night I watched a rerun of The Office where corporate made Jim and Michael Scott co-managers. Oscar then says, "You know, most successful organizations have two leaders. I mean, name a country that DOESN'T have two presidents."

There's a chance they pull this off, but I think it ends with Gary getting fired due to him entering a final year in 2012. Wade will be the HC. It's been a grand design, IMO, by McNair as a way to improve his defense and have his next HC already inside the organization prior to firing Kubiak. Bob is showing an inability to look too far outside of his comfort zone. He's turtling up, and that's the exact mindset you see in our HC and in our players for 3/4th of the game each week. Attitude reflect leadership.

I think Kubiak's getting played like a fiddle, and I wouldn't doubt that he knows it too. Serving out one more year, building his resume for future job opportunities (by making sure his offense continues to roll along in the stats categories), and hoping for a chance that his "kids" finally get it and help catapult us into a playoff run that will extend him for more years here. It's the nature of coaching jobs: You win some, you lose some, you move on until you hit the jackpot.

thunderkyss
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM

But the hire of Wade Phillips, which essentially gives us a head coach for the offense (Kubiak) and a head coach for the defense (Phillips) could backfire big time.

Why?

If one side of the ball isn't getting their job done out there, the other side of the ball will see it as the head coach and players of that other unit NOT doing its job. This could pit offense vs. defense. I can envision Antonio Smith putting his finger into the chest of a guy like Eric Winston on the sideline, or other such shenanigans that involve accusing, blaming, and other such behavior.

It could cause division if it doesn't work out well.

This could have been the case in 2010. Heck, Bob's own words, "The problem isn't the offense." pretty much sets the stage for such feelings right now.

However, when asked about his decision to keep Gary, his answer in his Town Hall interview alluded to that possibility.

Typically, when things are going well, you donít have problems in the locker room. But when things arenít going well and you have got a losing streak going, players have a tendency to start pointing fingers, and sometimes coaches have a tendency to start pointing fingers, and it is very disruptive, very divisive. And what happens is youíll see that the team doesnít play as hard. And thatís never happened with Gary. Weíve been through some of those dips. Heís always been able to maintain the support of the players and the coaches. And theyíve always played hard. I mean, thereís no one in this league that will tell you that the Texans donít play hard. They do play hard.

There's a chance they pull this off, but I think it ends with Gary getting fired due to him entering a final year in 2012. Wade will be the HC. It's been a grand design, IMO, by McNair as a way to improve his defense and have his next HC already inside the organization prior to firing Kubiak. Bob is showing an inability to look too far outside of his comfort zone. He's turtling up, and that's the exact mindset you see in our HC and in our players for 3/4th of the game each week. Attitude reflect leadership.

I don't know that I agree with this. I think it is a bold move by McNair, to go against what has become commonplace in this NFL by firing coaches often. I believe Kubiak has done a great job changing the mindset of this team, but this team is ready to take the next step, which I believe requires a new HC. A HC that will attract those final pieces we'll need from FAs.

But Kubiak is definitely on notice, his replacement (if only on an interim basis) is already in house. Given the uncertainty of the 2011 offseason & season, this might turn out to be the most logical course of action.

I think Kubiak's getting played like a fiddle, and I wouldn't doubt that he knows it too. Serving out one more year, building his resume for future job opportunities (by making sure his offense continues to roll along in the stats categories), and hoping for a chance that his "kids" finally get it and help catapult us into a playoff run that will extend him for more years here. It's the nature of coaching jobs: You win some, you lose some, you move on until you hit the jackpot.

IMO, the bar has to be raised. If I'm McNair, a play-off appearance won't cut it. If Wade gets the people he wants, If this defense is much better (actually building off 2009 perfromance) and we're sniffing the top 10... Kubiak has to win the division, or make an appearance in the AFC Championship game. We could go 13-3, but if we're one & done in the play-offs, with a top 5 offense and ~top 10 defense... Kubiak would be gone.

ArlingtonTexan
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM

But the hire of Wade Phillips, which essentially gives us a head coach for the offense (Kubiak) and a head coach for the defense (Phillips) could backfire big time.Why?

It could cause division if it doesn't work out well. Wade and Gary could end up with a contentious situation on their hands.

Was already thinking this way yesterday, and then last night I watched a rerun of The Office where corporate made Jim and Michael Scott co-managers. Oscar then says, "You know, most successful organizations have two leaders. I mean, name a country that DOESN'T have two presidents."

I don't think it is quite the Jerry Jones co-head coach model that Wade was under with Garrett. It does seem to be a situation where Kubiak (whether he is being forced to or not is an issue) is basically allowing Wade to run the whole defense from top to bottom. Considering that Phillips has shown that he can do this (unlike the rest of the admin staff), it is the proper move.

As for the other stuff, I think McNair is pretty transparent and there is no pre-planned exist strategy for Kubiak.

GP
02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't think it is quite the Jerry Jones co-head coach model that Wade was under with Garrett. It does seem to be a situation where Kubiak (whether he is being forced to or not is an issue) is basically allowing Wade to run the whole defense from top to bottom. Considering that Phillips has shown that he can do this (unlike the rest of the admin staff), it is the proper move.

As for the other stuff, I think McNair is pretty transparent and there is no pre-planned exist strategy for Kubiak.

No, I don't think he wants Kubiak gone and is just waiting for the 2011 reg season to be over in order to do so.

I think he's buying insurance. He bought insurance by extending Kubiak's contract, essentially trying to secure Kubiak in case the team went nuts and had playoff seasons.

This is his newest insurance policy: Wade Phillips as d-coord.

He's essentially got double-coverage: Kubiak is here through 2012, thanks to the extension. Wade is here in case Kubiak tanks and the offense quits on him in 2011.

Everything about McNair screams "Safety first!" instead of "Full steam ahead!"

Neon Archie
02-04-2011, 09:39 PM
The Phillips hire was essentially a PR move. Let's face it, a banana could do a better job than Frank Bush. It didn't matter from an X's and O's standpoint who he hired. Any new DC will show some sign of improvement.

This was McNair pandering to the Houston fans screaming for blood, pandering to the Luv Ya Blue nostalgia of old. A feeble, thinly veiled attempt for you to not give up on Smithiak.

Drink the koolaid, buy my tickets, Wade Phillips, Bum's Boy!, is here. Go Texans.