PDA

View Full Version : building through the draft wins championships

aussie_texan
01-31-2011, 11:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e058f1/article/packers-steelers-architects-draft-same-plan-to-reach-sbxlv?module=HP_cp3

this article explains how both the packers and steelers built their respective teams through the draft,

we have the right idea now its time for us to implement it with great success.

i believe this draft will be our most important in franchise history (along with FA),
either we improve our roster and achieve playoffs or we pick the wrong players or mediocre players and dont make the playoffs therefore kubiack is out and we blow up the roster.

i have great faith in this organisation to deliver us something great this offseason.

GO TEXANS!

wagonhed
01-31-2011, 11:39 PM
either we improve our roster and achieve playoffs or we pick the wrong players or mediocre players and dont make the playoffs therefore kubiack is out and we blow up the roster.
Why does this sound familiar.

Dutchrudder
02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I hear a lot of this "build through the draft" mantra, but what team out there doesn't build through the draft??? I have not noticed a team who trades away their top picks each year. Every team tries to use their picks wisely, but it comes down to the front office making the right picks. So far, the Kubiak regime seems to be average at best in this category. They better find another pipeline of talent to bring this team out of the gutter, cause they aren't doing it with their draft picks.

Hervoyel
02-01-2011, 01:05 AM
"building through the draft wins championships"

not if you have no idea what to build.

aussie_texan
02-01-2011, 04:56 AM
I hear a lot of this "build through the draft" mantra, but what team out there doesn't build through the draft??? I have not noticed a team who trades away their top picks each year. Every team tries to use their picks wisely, but it comes down to the front office making the right picks. So far, the Kubiak regime seems to be average at best in this category. They better find another pipeline of talent to bring this team out of the gutter, cause they aren't doing it with their draft picks.

i think is more the idea of not spending big in FA as it is only used to fill small needs

beerlover
02-01-2011, 05:40 AM
i believe this draft will be our most important in franchise history

for Rick Smith to save his & Kubiak's repective positions.

eriadoc
02-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Take away the Casserley-Kubiak draft and then look at what Smith-Kubiak have drafted. Hmmmm .....

Also, you can find key free agents on the top teams in the NFL. They build through the draft, but they supplement with key free agents.

Texecutioner
02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
i think is more the idea of not spending big in FA as it is only used to fill small needs

Yeah, tell that to the Patriots, the Colts, and the Eagles who have all been pretty successful all decade long by retooling their teams every off season with players in free agency that filled holes and improved their teams. The Packers have made moves in free agency as well. I'm not sure where that ever came from. They spent BIG money on Charles Woodson when they really needed a CB to improve their secondary.

Building through the draft is half the way to win consistently. You have to do both if you want to keep your team at the top of the helm.

Dishman
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM

The lack of play/execution is the secondary and a few other spots are not small needs. This is where we need to be spending money on proven talent and not replacing that with a wing, a prayer, and some rookies in the backfield.

infantrycak
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah, tell that to the Patriots, the Colts, and the Eagles who have all been pretty successful all decade long by retooling their teams every off season with players in free agency that filled holes and improved their teams.

Who are the big name free agents for those teams? I'll spot you Asante Samuels even though he went from one to another on your list. Vick doesn't count as he wasn't brought in to start.

Hervoyel
02-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Who are the big name free agents for those teams? I'll spot you Asante Samuels even though he went from one to another on your list. Vick doesn't count as he wasn't brought in to start.

Granted, not all free agents but in the Patriots case they knew when to sign Corey Dillon and when to bail out, when to sign Junior Seau and when to walk away, and when to sign Randy Moss and when to part ways with him.

Of the three teams that he named they're closest to what he was describing I think. They've had very good luck with reclamation projects and filling holes with older players.

Norg
02-01-2011, 03:27 PM
i always thought the PAts and COlts just like the texans are not that big of players in the F/A

THe texans modle themselfs after the Pats Steelers and Packers and Colts

Dutchrudder
02-01-2011, 03:46 PM

I know the article discounts the free agent signings:

[Steelers] Of their four unrestricted-free-agent signings on the roster only two -- free safety Ryan Clark, signed in 2006 from Washington, and inside linebacker James Farrior, signed in 2002 from the New York Jets -- start. The Packers, meanwhile, have just three veteran free-agent additions, two of which start: Cornerback Charles Woodson (2006, Oakland) and defensive end Ryan Pickett (2006, St. Louis).

but neither of the teams would be in the Super Bowl without those guys. A couple starters on the defensive side of the ball for the top 2 defense in the league this year do make a big difference. They likely help the young rookie talent develop faster too. I still don't think you can make the argument that these teams are simply 'building through the draft', they just have a lower ratio of draft picks to free agent signings.

What I do see that sets them apart from other teams is that they have superior talent evaluation. Whether it is draft picks or free agents, they are obviously making the right personnel decision, which is what fuels their team. This isn't about draft versus free agents, it's about getting the right guys for the right spots with whatever means you have. It's also about knowing when to part ways with players (see Favre, Holmes). You can get the right guys either way, just look at the Bears, Jets and Ravens.

CretorFrigg
02-01-2011, 08:02 PM
We've bought into this "build through the draft to win championships" mentality the Texans FO propagated. But that's the problem. There isn't only one single solution to win the Super Bowl. There isn't a formula a coach/GM can concoct that'll lead to championships.

Why do we solely have to build through the draft? Are the Texans convinced that teams who sign big-name FAs aren't going to draft well? It's odd that people isolate the draft and FA signings. Why can't a team do well at both? We shouldn't disregard any aspect of the offseason.

The Jets have proved to us that signing numerous free agents AND drafting well is the key to success.

burro
02-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Building through the draft only works when you have people who are good at scouting talent...something the Texans lack, sadly.

The best thing we have done draft wise since taking AJ in 03 was trade those 2nd round picks for Schaub (I'm not saying Mario is a bust per say, only that the stale careers of the two would be "legends" that we passed to take him are the only thing that makes it appear to be a great pick).

If I we're the FO, I would strongly consider shopping aroun Schaub (I'm not saying Mario is a bust per say, only that the stale careers of the two would be "legends" that we passed to take him are the only thing that makes it appear to be a great pick. If I were the FO, I'd consider shopping around our 1st round pick for someone worth it - can't say who though. Doesn't really matter though, Southeastern Vermont State Tech has a TE with a lot of heart who Gary is just dying to give a chance to prove himself. :kitten: