PDA

View Full Version : Late Hits On The QB

gary
01-30-2011, 12:27 PM
I have thought about the rule recently and I think it has gotten out of hand. I have seen players go at the QB and get flaged for it but in a lot of cases I think to myself, is he supposed to just control himself while running at full speed? I guess so but that rule should be reviewed goinng back and watching some game flim this thought came to me. Does the rule go too far? Why or why not? I believe it does and I understand player safety but I seem to be wondering a lot what the defender could/should have done differently not to hit the QB. Are late hits over blown? I'd like comments and feedback from you guys even though I know this has been touched on before on this board. Please explain. Thanks.

The Pencil Neck
01-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Personally, I think the rule has gone way too far.

You can't touch their helmet.

You can't lunge low at them.

You can't pick them up and throw them down.

You can't launch yourself at them.

You can't take more than a step and hit them after they've thrown the ball.

The league sees these guys as the stars of the league. They don't think that the fans want to see a team play if they don't have their starting QB healthy. They don't want to get into a situation where a team makes the playoffs and their star QB doesn't even make the trip because he's injured.

But I think that's part of the game. You've got to let these guys play. You've got to let them make a tackle or you get ridiculous plays where guys pull up and don't make a tackle because they're afraid to get flagged for it.

gary
01-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Personally, I think the rule has gone way too far.

You can't touch their helmet.

You can't lunge low at them.

You can't pick them up and throw them down.

You can't launch yourself at them.

You can't take more than a step and hit them after they've thrown the ball.

The league sees these guys as the stars of the league. They don't think that the fans want to see a team play if they don't have their starting QB healthy. They don't want to get into a situation where a team makes the playoffs and their star QB doesn't even make the trip because he's injured.

But I think that's part of the game. You've got to let these guys play. You've got to let them make a tackle or you get ridiculous plays where guys pull up and don't make a tackle because they're afraid to get flagged for it.It got worse after Brady got injured in 2008. Too far I must say.

Rey
01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Been saying this for a while....

I am all for being as safe as possible, but the league has taken some aggression and physicality out of the game...

bah007
01-31-2011, 03:13 AM
Some people think I over exaggerate on this point, but I firmly believe this is the truth.

For the past decade the NFL has been slowly changing the rules of the game to give an overwhelming advantage to the offensive team.

I believe it is all about money. The average fan wants to see a 42-41 shootout, not a 14-10 defensive battle. The game is being changed so that the NFL can draw in as many casual fans as possible, thus boosting their bottom line.

These days, the majority of people watching football don't care much for a dominant defense shutting down opponents. They want flag football with 400 passing yards for each team.

T shirt fans are now the driving force behind most of the marketing decisions. Terrell Owens had 55 catches and 5 TDs last year. Who do you think sold more jerseys? Him or defensive player of the year, Charles Woodson?

What happens when a star defensive player gets injured? Nothing.

When Owens breaks his fibula you get a new rule about "player safety". When Brady tears his ACL you get a new rule about "player safety".

The NFL wants to protect their most popular players. And the most popular players all play on offense. The NFL has made sure of it.

gary
01-31-2011, 10:36 AM
They keep it up and they are bound to lose some hardcore fans who love them some Defense.

BigBull17
01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, the ticky tacky PI rules and QB strike zone are rough.