PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Smith #1 in....

Texanmike02
01-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Quarterback Hits

1. Antonio Smith, Houston Texans (18)
Mario Williams(notes) may get the most credit on the Texans’ defensive line when it comes to quarterback takedowns, but Smith is the NFL’s best when it comes to getting a hit on the quarterback as he’s releasing the ball, an act that often affects accuracy and efficiency."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Av6NOieuzJLjGUr8rakyCUo5nYcB?slug=ys-intangibles012711

Didn't see it posted anywhere.

Also Cushing was in there for hurries.

Mike

thunderkyss
01-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Sometimes I get tired of hearing how Mario doesn't get any help. I also get tired of hearing how we don't get any pass rush.

This is pretty much the same thing as 2009. As a team, the Texans didn't rack up a lot of sacks, but we were up there with the best of teams in hurries & hits.

Our problem has been LBs more than anything. The Safeties looked terrible in 2010, but the LBs involvment in pass coverage has been pathetic for at least the last 4 years.

LBs not doing their job makes easy throws for QBs, less thinking, quicker releases. If we had a guy like Urlacher, who can drop back fast enough to take away deep crossing routes, or Bracket who can negate the intermediate slants or post routes... Or someone who can make a QB think twice before releasing the ball we'd be rolling in sacks & turnovers.

thunderkyss
01-29-2011, 12:22 PM
As an aside, this may also explain why Kollar kept his job & Holland & Gibbs didn't.

Oh yeah, Frank Bush was also supposed to be a LB coach as well.

Doppelganger
01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Doesn't Smith also lead thr league in knucklehead penalties:
1)late hits on the QB
2)getting a unsportsmanlike penalty on third downs?

m5kwatts
01-29-2011, 01:28 PM
1)late hits on the QB

With emotional players you take the good with the bad. At times I think Antonio is the only one on our defense with any kind of competitive fire. I'd love to see Okoye or Mario get a late hit on a QB or unsportsmanlike penalty.

Doppelganger
01-29-2011, 02:28 PM
With emotional players you take the good with the bad. At times I think Antonio is the only one on our defense with any kind of competitive fire. I'd love to see Okoye or Mario get a late hit on a QB or unsportsmanlike penalty.

Emotional is one thing, but he has a knack for getting that penalty at the least opportune times. How many times this season did our defense finally stop someone on third down only for Pollard or Smith to rack up an unsportanlike penalty and give the offense a fresh set of downs. Playing emotional is one thing. The Ravens, Packers, and Pittsburgh D all play emotional, but don't give up stupid penalties.

Big Lou
01-29-2011, 02:39 PM
1)late hits on the QB

How could you forget offsides, and neutral zone infractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wadepalm:

otisbean
01-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Sometimes I get tired of hearing how Mario doesn't get any help. I also get tired of hearing how we don't get any pass rush.

This is pretty much the same thing as 2009. As a team, the Texans didn't rack up a lot of sacks, but we were up there with the best of teams in hurries & hits.

Our problem has been LBs more than anything. The Safeties looked terrible in 2010, but the LBs involvment in pass coverage has been pathetic for at least the last 4 years.

LBs not doing their job makes easy throws for QBs, less thinking, quicker releases. If we had a guy like Urlacher, who can drop back fast enough to take away deep crossing routes, or Bracket who can negate the intermediate slants or post routes... Or someone who can make a QB think twice before releasing the ball we'd be rolling in sacks & turnovers.

I think the problem with our pass rush is we don't get consistent push up middle allowing QBs to step up away from MW and Smith.

I agree on LB and S coverage, TEs KILL us consistently we also have the issues you mention on shorter passes. I'd like to see Cush at OLB, I think he'd be able to get some heat on the QB. I think he's an effective blister and I'd like to see if that would carry over to rushing the passer. We then add an ILB that can cover. Kevin Burnett did a good job for SD and he's a FA

Rey
01-29-2011, 03:36 PM

I agree with everything you have said here. I actually think theat in the past we have had capable enough D-linemen...

Covereage from the linebackers and secondary have really hurt us.

Maddict5
01-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Emotional is one thing, but he has a knack for getting that penalty at the least opportune times. How many times this season did our defense finally stop someone on third down only for Pollard or Smith to rack up an unsportanlike penalty and give the offense a fresh set of downs.

off the top of my head twice which isnt exactly terrible... the skins game in OT after a sack (that mightve only been 2nd down actually.. not sure) & the titans second game when him & cushing had words.

cant remember pollard doin anything like that apart from an offside on a fg block v dallas

JimBaker488
01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Our problem has been LBs more than anything.
Our biggest problem has been lack of real and consistant pressure on the QB, so
the problem is the Defensive Line and not the LBs (or the Defensive Backfield).

thunderkyss
01-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Nope.

Watch any other team... you'll see QBs having difficulty throwing the ball in a basket... over the LBs under the safeties. Many times, the safeties get their INTs because a QB was trying to get the ball over the LB.... QBs facing us don't have this problem, they can put the ball on a rope. We have absolutely no underneath coverage.

When you watch the Super Bowl, take note of how many passes are broken up by LBs.

We probably had 3 balls batting down balls, & those were probably to TEs. A complete defense allows their cornerbacks to play outside & on top. Outside to force the receivers inside, towards the safeties & on top because the LBs are underneath.

I know this is a simplistic view of CB/LB/S relationship. & their are different schemes & what not, but this is the foundation. This is the basics.

JB
01-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Nope.

Watch any other team... you'll see QBs having difficulty throwing the ball in a basket... over the LBs under the safeties. Many times, the safeties get their INTs because a QB was trying to get the ball over the LB.... QBs facing us don't have this problem, they can put the ball on a rope. We have absolutely no underneath coverage.

When you watch the Super Bowl, take note of how many passes are broken up by LBs.

We probably had 3 balls batting down balls, & those were probably to TEs. A complete defense allows their cornerbacks to play outside & on top. Outside to force the receivers inside, towards the safeties & on top because the LBs are underneath.

I know this is a simplistic view of CB/LB/S relationship. & their are different schemes & what not, but this is the foundation. This is the basics.

While I agree with this to an extent, our DL also left huge passing lanes open, and the QB had the option of stepping up because it seemed both DT's would take outside rushes and leave the middle wide open.

texanchris
01-29-2011, 08:48 PM
maybe our whole defense sucked?

Mistasofly
01-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Quarterback Hits

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Av6NOieuzJLjGUr8rakyCUo5nYcB?slug=ys-intangibles012711

Didn't see it posted anywhere.

Also Cushing was in there for hurries.

Mike

All of those numbers obviously didnt help us any. We still had the worst pass defense in the league, just sounds like useless stats to me.

Texecutioner
01-29-2011, 11:15 PM

Not in Cushing's rookie season. That guy was a freaking beast in the pass rush and in coverage. He was all over the field with instincts like a Texas Mountain Lion. It seemed like every play that was broken up he was somehow a part of. The juce probably had some to do with it, but in that season he was definitely above any criticism as far as coverage or pass rush goes from the LB core. He was just like Urlacher that season and that's the exact guy who I would have compared him to. Last season we saw small samples of it towards the end of the season, but it wasn't like his rookie year. We have to just hope that the juice wasn't what made that guy the beast that he was early on, because Cushing made plays all over the field as a rookie. I was so frustrated with the Texans that year, but Cushing alone had me excited every week just to watch him.

JB
01-30-2011, 12:29 AM
Not in Cushing's rookie season. That guy was a freaking beast in the pass rush and in coverage. He was all over the field with instincts like a Texas Mountain Lion. It seemed like every play that was broken up he was somehow a part of. The juce probably had some to do with it, but in that season he was definitely above any criticism as far as coverage or pass rush goes from the LB core. He was just like Urlacher that season and that's the exact guy who I would have compared him to. Last season we saw small samples of it towards the end of the season, but it wasn't like his rookie year. We have to just hope that the juice wasn't what made that guy the beast that he was early on, because Cushing made plays all over the field as a rookie. I was so frustrated with the Texans that year, but Cushing alone had me excited every week just to watch him.

Do you think that maybe our coaches are taking the instinct out of the players? It seems we have had so many players on the defensive side that have regressed since their rookie year, but the offensive players seem to keep growing. Why is that you think? Maybe our defensive coaching staff has sucked? Most players make a big leap between their first and second years. And our offensive players have ( with the exception of Slaton), but the defensive players just get worse and worse.

76Texan
01-30-2011, 12:51 AM

From my eyes, Tex, Cushing was never great in coverage.
He found himself in the right place at the right time in his rookie year on some plays.
The scheme put him in position on some plays.
But of course, Cushing is always a great downhill player.
I have yet to see him as a good LB in coverage.

76Texan
01-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Do you think that maybe our coaches are taking the instinct out of the players? It seems we have had so many players on the defensive side that have regressed since their rookie year, but the offensive players seem to keep growing. Why is that you think? Maybe our defensive coaching staff has sucked? Most players make a big leap between their first and second years. And our offensive players have ( with the exception of Slaton), but the defensive players just get worse and worse.

JB, I agree with both you and TK (line play and middle level LB play both lacking while, supposedly, those two units should have carried the defense.)

My eyes told me that Bush was trying too hard.
He was cramming basically everything in there.
Under Richard Smith, we were basically cover 2 with a 4-man front.
Last year, we would see 2-3-4 man front.
Cover zero, one, two, three, four.
One or two CBs drop deep, a LB drop deep.
FS down, SS down.
All the 4-3 fronts, some 3-4, some 3-3
All kinds of techniques for the CBs, from bump and run to on man, off man, shuffle, bail and run, trail, you name it!
Stunt and twist on the line.
I've never seen so many different things tried with so little result!

I could be wrong about a thing or two, but basically, I think Bush just had too many things on the plate for the players to handle.
(For example, in one play. I saw Cushing moving and deciding between 3 different targets in a zone. I don't think it's good for a player to have to think too much on the field. Especially when they are already overloaded with all the changes in schemes.)

Dishman
01-30-2011, 09:09 AM
maybe our whole defense sucked?

Bingo!

There may be some individual accolades, but the unit as a whole was terrible.

Rey
01-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Nope.

Again...100% agree....

Also, I disagree with others who are talking about QB's having a bunch of room to step up and that being a huge weakness of ours...

Just about every QB in the league steps up into the pocket when the rush is coming from the outside...Especially the really good ones....

The thing is that teams with good pass coverage on the back will allow their D-linemen to re-direct and at least make a hit on the QB....

It is very rare for a QB to not have a lane to step up into....And the elite QB's with good pocket awareness will move around and avoid pressure pretty good.....

I competely agree with you TK....Too many times QB's we play are able to hit their back foot and let the ball come out....

When QB's start to step up and move around it is normally a good thing for us.

BigBull17
01-31-2011, 08:02 AM

The Dline wasn't great, but in no way were they more of a problem then our horrible coverage by LB's and DB's.

HOU-TEX
01-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Our Dline, LBs and secondary all sucked in their own special ways. Our pass rush has been no better than 21st in sacks in the last 5 years. Our LB's can't cover and our safety's are always biting on play-action or out of position.

thunderkyss
01-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Our Dline, LBs and secondary all sucked in their own special ways. Our pass rush has been no better than 21st in sacks in the last 5 years. Our LB's can't cover and our safety's are always biting on play-action or out of position.

It's not just our safeties. Our CBs are brought in because of their play against the run. They bite just as hard.