PDA

View Full Version : The Pro Bowl...Who cares?

Dread-Head
01-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Okay...for the bulk of it's existence, the Pro Bowl was just an excuse to fly the best players in the NFL to Hawaii for a week to play an exibition game and the league got a huge tax write off. It occurred the week after the Superbowl and 12 people who weren't related to those selected actually watched it. Commissioner Goddell (whom I think is a nidiot not worthy to SAY the name of the Late Great Pete Roselle) moved it to the week BEFORE the Superbowl in hopes that it would increase viewership...cha...I'm still not watching it. What about you guys?

JB
01-26-2011, 09:33 AM
I will probably watch just to watch Foster & Leach.

Blake
01-26-2011, 09:48 AM
The pro bowl has lost its luster. It is as exciting as watching the NBA all star teams score 190 points each.

Will watch for Foster/Leach. Once they are pulled, the TV gets changed.

drs23
01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
brrrrp

eriadoc
01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
I'll watch about as much of it as I normally do, which is to say if I happen to be on the couch flipping channels and run across it, I'll watch a few plays before I start crying over the loss of football for the year.

Putting the game before the SB has made the Pro Bowl a complete joke. Now you have a decent percentage of the top players bowing out because they're playing in the SB, in addition to the already high numbers of players bowing out due to injury and surgery. So we get to watch an All Star game with the 4th and 5th best QBs, the 5th and 6th best WRs, etc. We get to watch the 4th and 5th best DEs not rush the passer, while the 3rd and 4th best blitzing OLBs don't blitz. Yeah, compelling stuff.

Craig.
01-26-2011, 12:28 PM
That game is completely unwatchable. I'd rather watch paint dry.

In fact...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1VEY7ndKCs

Thorn
01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
I will probably watch just to watch Foster & Leach.

Yep. And after a few minutes of that I'll have probably had enough. It's a useless game that risks potential injury.

gary
01-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Probowls still go a long way in making the HOF.

HTown2ATX
01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Will watch just to see a few Texans on the field again.....won't see that again for a few months...if that...thanks NFL CBA dispute!!

Double Barrel
01-26-2011, 02:54 PM
I usually don't watch it...but probably because I'd forget it was on when it was a week or two after the Super Bowl. Also because it's just not that good of football being played.

But, last year and this year it's different. Being a week before the SB makes sense, but mainly I'll watch because my son digs it. Just spending some quality time with him is worth it, so it's cool in that regard.

eriadoc
01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Probowls still go a long way in making the HOF.

At some point going forward they won't. Last year was the first year that the PB was played before the Super Bowl, and that factor alone increased the number of players "named" to the Pro Bowl team. If that continues, the voters will recognize and take into account that being named to a Pro Bowl is a lot cheaper than it once was.

All Pro has always and will continue to matter more. Of course, you still have players who were completely dominant and named to All Decade teams that aren't in the HoF, so I pretty much go with the assumption that HoF voters are biased hacks.

*coughDrDoomcough*

hot pickle
01-26-2011, 05:49 PM
me and my buddies flew to miami last year to watch it.. well not just the pro bowl we did a bunch of things and it was one of the best vacations ive ever had... but not because of the pro bowl lol we arrived to the stadium with a nice buzz going but the $10 beers the buzz quickly went away so i had tons of fun for the first quarter lol and we left at half time to beat traffic and go drink some more lol but the best part of that pro bowl was... we left winnipeg thursday evening and connected in Minneapolis and sure enough mr adrian peterson himself came and sat 3 seats ahead of us and once we got to miami he was kind enough to talk to us for abit and take some pictures... but in the end the pro bowl was only good when schaub and aj were lighting it up and then it was supppperrrr boring

GlassHalfFull
01-26-2011, 05:55 PM
I usually don't watch it...but probably because I'd forget it was on when it was a week or two after the Super Bowl. Also because it's just not that good of football being played.

But, last year and this year it's different. Being a week before the SB makes sense, but mainly I'll watch because my son digs it. Just spending some quality time with him is worth it, so it's cool in that regard.

I don't get the bolded. To me, by having it the week before the superbowl, you are ensuring that the players from the top 2 teams in football who made the game, are not able to attend. I realize that the top tier players often opt out, but I really can't see how guaranteeing their absence makes the game better.

But, meh. I will only watch to see Foster and Leach, so no real big deal to me.

Corrosion
01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
I will probably watch just to have an excuse to get trashed ..... and watch Foster & Leach.

:shots:

JB
01-26-2011, 06:05 PM
:shots:

:lol: Excuses? I don't need no stinkin' excuses! :shots:

Texan_Bill
01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
I'll be watching to see our, not only Pro-Bowl, but also "All-Pro" backfield (and of course AJ, as well) representin'!!!

drs23
01-27-2011, 09:39 AM
I'll be watching to see our, not only Pro-Bowl, but also "All-Pro" backfield (and of course AJ, as well) representin'!!!

Did AJ even make the trip? I know he won't play, but did he even travel?

infantrycak
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Eh, I like it. I loved DeMeco's first trip. First play of the game he tipped a pass away. Second he intercepted. OD being a TD machine. Schaub being put back in the game to go win it. Quite the compliment there as the coach said the game plan was to put Schaub back in if needed to win the game. I'll watch it this year too to see Leach pound some pro-bowl LB to spring Foster.

Really glad to see unsung hero Leach make it. Y'all voted for him as did the players and coaches. Might as well watch his time in the sun.

Double Barrel
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't get the bolded. To me, by having it the week before the superbowl, you are ensuring that the players from the top 2 teams in football who made the game, are not able to attend. I realize that the top tier players often opt out, but I really can't see how guaranteeing their absence makes the game better.

But, meh. I will only watch to see Foster and Leach, so no real big deal to me.

To me, the season is over when the Super Bowl clock is at 0:00. It's been that way for me much of my life, so I'm just not looking for football after the big game is over.

I understand where you're coming from, but in the end, the Pro Bowl is never good football. It's an exhibition game, at best. I always liked it as a kid because it was colorful with all the players wearing their team's helmets. But as I got older and a more serious football fan, I found the game to be boring and stopped watching for decades. Even with the Super Bowl teams having players in it, it's still not great football, so it doesn't matter much to me if they play or not.

Being a week before the Super Bowl, IMO, makes a lot more sense. We are right in the middle of the championship frenzy, football is still being talked about, the season still alive and buzzing. And since this is the first weekend since August that is empty, seeing the Pro Bowl kinda' fills a void for some.

So I don't disagree with you, but as an exhibition game, it doesn't make much of a difference if a handful of players are not in it. JMO

HOU-TEX
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Eh, I like it. I loved DeMeco's first trip. First play of the game he tipped a pass away. Second he intercepted. OD being a TD machine. Schaub being put back in the game to go win it. Quite the compliment there as the coach said the game plan was to put Schaub back in if needed to win the game. I'll watch it this year too to see Leach pound some pro-bowl LB to spring Foster.

Really glad to see unsung hero Leach make it. Y'all voted for him as did the players and coaches. Might as well watch his time in the sun.

Yeah, but who wouldn't have? Norv had Schaub, VY and Garrard to choose from.

But I agree, it was fun watching Schaub and AJ put on a clinic. Personally, I think Schaub deserved the spot in front of Cassel this year. Cassel? Seriously?

I will probably watch just to see my boy Leach crack some heads a bit

infantrycak
01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah, but who wouldn't have? Norv had Schaub, VY and Garrard to choose from.

But all VY does is win right? I just thought it was interesting they came out and admitted that was the plan.

Personally, I think Schaub deserved the spot in front of Cassel this year. Cassel? Seriously?

I agree despite Schaub not being good enough to wear a Texans uniform, noodle armed injury prone pansy that he is.

I will probably watch just to see my boy Leach crack some heads a bit

Gotta love Leach. Several times this year I saw LB's get up and stagger or be obviously woozy after Leach hits. He just about knocked himself out on one play.

HOU-TEX
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
But all VY does is win right? I just thought it was interesting they came out and admitted that was the plan.

I agree despite Schaub not being good enough to wear a Texans uniform, noodle armed injury prone pansy that he is.

Gotta love Leach. Several times this year I saw LB's get up and stagger or be obviously woozy after Leach hits. He just about knocked himself out on one play.

I actually like Schaub quite a bit and think he's more than capable of taking this team to the next level.

I think I remember the play. He came back to the huddle kinda shaking his head and stretching his neck a little......then blew somebody up again the very next play. Friggin love that guy. Lays it on the line every play.

Double Barrel
01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I actually like Schaub quite a bit and think he's more than capable of taking this team to the next level.

I think I remember the play. He came back to the huddle kinda shaking his head and stretching his neck a little......then blew somebody up again the very next play. Friggin love that guy. Lays it on the line every play.

I'm fairly certain that 'cak was being facetious about Schaub. ;)

HOU-TEX
01-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm fairly certain that 'cak was being facetious about Schaub. ;)

Oh I know. I just wanted my thoughts on Schaub known and that I'm not one of the Schaub haters.

gary
01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
At some point going forward they won't. Last year was the first year that the PB was played before the Super Bowl, and that factor alone increased the number of players "named" to the Pro Bowl team. If that continues, the voters will recognize and take into account that being named to a Pro Bowl is a lot cheaper than it once was.

All Pro has always and will continue to matter more. Of course, you still have players who were completely dominant and named to All Decade teams that aren't in the HoF, so I pretty much go with the assumption that HoF voters are biased hacks.

*coughDrDoomcough*They should probably just have All Pros and All Decade teams and then just choose the HOF from there. And do away with the Probowl all together. Just juge by the career stats for each player JMO.

Wolf
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
yahoo is saying it is 42-7 NFC at halftime

TimeKiller
01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
pro bowl is a waste of time. they should have the super bowl winners play a team of elites and call that the probowl. there's two more games for you NFL, SB winners vs. AFC pro bowlers, SB winners vs. NFC probowlers....hell, then do AFC vs. NFC and that's the season. kept all 4 preseason money making machine games and added 3 games that would change how teams are regarded as far as being champions, spark interest in fans and make mucho moneys. players and coaches get bonuses for making AND PLAYING on pro bowl teams. i'd watch that.

JCTexan
01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
pro bowl is a waste of time. they should have the super bowl winners play a team of elites and call that the probowl. there's two more games for you NFL, SB winners vs. AFC pro bowlers, SB winners vs. NFC probowlers....hell, then do AFC vs. NFC and that's the season. kept all 4 preseason money making machine games and added 3 games that would change how teams are regarded as far as being champions, spark interest in fans and make mucho moneys. players and coaches get bonuses for making AND PLAYING on pro bowl teams. i'd watch that.

I'm not a fan of that idea. Nobody seems to try in the Pro Bowl because they don't want a career ending injury during a meaningless exhibition game. I don't see any of the players caring to play in another two meaningless games.

devo-x
01-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Schaub > Cassel

TexanSam
01-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Like any All-Star game, it's tough to watch and enjoy. Instead of playing a game that the players don't really care for they should make into a bunch of different competitions instead. Bunch of different skills competitions and such.

Brisco_County
01-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Watching paint dry isn't nearly as hilarious as this eight turnover comedy of errors was.

Needed more Schaub to Andre for it to be a real competition.

Blake
01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Foster had 3 carries and 2 receptions... lame...

Thorn
01-31-2011, 09:40 AM
I forgot to watch.

HOU-TEX
01-31-2011, 09:50 AM
I started to watch, then was quickly reminded how lame it was seeing players go half speed.

NitroGSXR
01-31-2011, 09:52 AM

It also looked like he blew the route that resulted in a London Fletcher pick six. Foster also had a drop or two.

Dread-Head
01-31-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm still trippin' on the fact that SIX of you think the weight of my dreadlocks is messing with my brain. :headhurts: well if nothing else, it's made my NECK stronger.

Yankee_In_TX
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM

And ALMOST had a pass :)

Is it just me, or was there a lack of effort, even by Pro Bowl standards?

I wonder if that has to do with the CBA (for instance, an extreme fear of injury)?

HoustonFrog
01-31-2011, 12:00 PM
What do you mean that it means nothing......Schaub was MVP last year. :kitten:

mancunian
01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
pro bowl = bollocks :choke:rather eat dirt than watch that

GP
01-31-2011, 09:17 PM
This event needs to be permanently decommissioned.

It needs to die.

I watched the first possession on each side, and turned the channel. Never even hesitated. Never even had the temptation to turn back to it.

It is a lame event. Last year, it had a different feel to it. I wonder why? I know! Maybe because it was in the United States and not in Hawaii. And "Yeah," I know Hawaii is technically a part of the U.S. It's just that the game, last year in Florida, actually seemed like a real game. As soon as they showed the stadium shot in this year's game, and I saw so many empty seats and just no "buzz" among the fans...I knew this thing was going to be lame.

Just pull the plug on this coma-induced lame-ass event. It's done. Stick a fork in it already. Why continue it?

It makes no sense today, because players no longer play for pride. They play for money. BIG MONEY. And they don't make money if they get hurt, so they don't go full speed. So this is more like the best scrimmage you'll ever see.

Just put flags on them and play two-hand touch or something. Geez.

infantrycak
02-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Last year, it had a different feel to it. I wonder why? I know! Maybe because it was in the United States and not in Hawaii. And "Yeah," I know Hawaii is technically a part of the U.S. It's just that the game, last year in Florida, actually seemed like a real game.

OK what talking head is blasting Hawaii? This is twice in about 10 days that somebody has discounted Hawaii as being American.

GP
02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
OK what talking head is blasting Hawaii? This is twice in about 10 days that somebody has discounted Hawaii as being American.

I did it as a joke, man.

Red Zone, IIRC, is the one who theorizes Obama's upbringing in Hawaii has caused him to not be "with it" in terms of mainland American ideas.

Judging the crowd at the Pro Bowl game, it's hard for me to disagree. Hawaii is a part of America, but the culture is so oddly different. Much like Alaska, as well. It's just part of the gig. Both states are separated from the main states, so there's bound to be some separatist views in many aspects.

I jerked a chain, I suppose. LOL. Score one for GP.

GP
02-01-2011, 10:08 AM
By the way, I still maintain that this game needs to die.

It's done. Over. Irrelevant in today's sports culture.

The players go, have a great time in Hawaii (so awesome to sit in my cold ass city in the winter and watch them party it up in Hawaii. Yay!), and then proceed to trot around like it's a flag football contest.

Hardly worthy of viewership, unless a person just loves to see guys in jerseys one last time before offseason and listen to Terry Bradshaw reminisce about his glory days while the other guys stroke his ego. Yawn.

infantrycak
02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I jerked a chain, I suppose. LOL. Score one for GP.

Don't pat yourself too hard. I have been to both Alaska and Hawaii several times. They are American.

El Tejano
02-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I think the game in Miami felt more like a game because it was night time by the time they played so it looked more prime time with the helmets shining. In Hawaii, they are still playing during the daylight and it just doesn't look good.

Dread-Head
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM

:thinking:...because the President was born there?

GP
02-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Don't pat yourself too hard. I have been to both Alaska and Hawaii several times. They are American.

You reminded me of a dad who storms into the kid's room: "Alright, damnit! Who put the rubber band around the spray nozzle handle at the kitchen sink again?!?!"

Out of everybody on this whole freaking board, I knew you'd answer the bell on that little post I made. Like taking candy from a baby...

Anywho, "Yeah" Hawaii and Alaska are American, but geographical disconnection can cause both those places to have a different culture, inherently, due to not being linked with the other states. It doesn't make them less American, but it makes them uniquely different in many ways. With the contiguous states, there are invisible lines that are blurred by overlapping populations sharing common cultures. With Hawaii and Alaska, they are physically distanced from other American cultures. Nobody gets in their car and drives from Hawaii (or Alaska) across a state line to go do something. So those two states have a very real reminder that they are different and set apart from us.

The Pro Bowl in Hawaii is a farce. A complete farce. The whole environment screams "relax, don't take life so hard." I mean, it's just a fact.

The game could be erased from the schedule and nothing would be missed. Except for the players, coaches, and families missing a "business" trip to Hawaii. I'm just not a fan of it, and I don't understand the intrinsic value of it.

These players won't go full speed, won't hit, and won't risk blowing out a knee just to play football for no real reason other than "it's tradition." Tradition is out the door with this generation of players. It's about the $$$.

I had more fun watching the flag football game during preseason. At least it was an all out honest effort and fair representation of the event being shown: It was FLAG FOOTBALL. And it was done very creatively, with certain points given for certain feats accomplished, and the inclusion of celebrities mixed with past NFL stars and current NFL stars. I wish the Pro Bowl would get away from being a sham of a football game and just go the route of pure entertainment...the Battle of The Network Stars type of contests and just leave it at that. It is so painful to try and watch the Pro Bowl game.

NitroGSXR
02-04-2011, 10:58 AM
You reminded me of a dad who storms into the kid's room: "Alright, damnit! Who put the rubber band around the spray nozzle handle at the kitchen sink again?!?!"

Out of everybody on this whole freaking board, I knew you'd answer the bell on that little post I made. Like taking candy from a baby...

Anywho, "Yeah" Hawaii and Alaska are American, but geographical disconnection can cause both those places to have a different culture, inherently, due to not being linked with the other states. It doesn't make them less American, but it makes them uniquely different in many ways.

The Pro Bowl in Hawaii is a farce. A complete farce. The whole environment screams "relax, don't take life so hard." I mean, it's just a fact.

The game could be erased from the schedule and nothing would be missed. Except for the players, coaches, and families missing a "business" trip to Hawaii. I'm just not a fan of it, and I don't understand the intrinsic value of it.

These players won't go full speed, won't hit, and won't risk blowing out a knee just to play football for no real reason other than "it's tradition." Tradition is out the door with this generation of players. It's about the $$$.

You really seem to have a lot of hard feelings towards the pro bowl. I enjoyed the pro bowl. I liked the half-speed aspect. Especially when the linemen stopped blocking outright. Can you say air raid!!!!!!

Nobody takes it seriously. Why are you allowing yourself get all worked up over it. It's not a farce, it's just an exhibition game.

infantrycak
02-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Anywho, "Yeah" Hawaii and Alaska are American, but geographical disconnection can cause both those places to have a different culture, inherently, due to not being linked with the other states. It doesn't make them less American, but it makes them uniquely different in many ways. With the contiguous states, there are invisible lines that are blurred by overlapping populations sharing common cultures. With Hawaii and Alaska, they are physically distanced from other American cultures. Nobody gets in their car and drives from Hawaii (or Alaska) across a state line to go do something. So those two states have a very real reminder that they are different and set apart from us.

3 days to respond. Whatever.

You haven't traveled much if you think their culture is soooo different. Texas is one of the most distinct states around and has no geographical disconnection. Vermont is tiny and geographically well connected and yet very distinct from the states around it. Alaskans, Hawaiian's and Texans share just as much or more than Texans and folks from New York City. Last I checked NYC was part of America.

Dude, it was a dumb comment meant in jest or not. Carry on with your anti-pro-bowl rant.

GP
02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
3 days to respond. Whatever.

You haven't traveled much if you think their culture is soooo different. Texas is one of the most distinct states around and has no geographical disconnection. Vermont is tiny and geographically well connected and yet very distinct from the states around it. Alaskans, Hawaiian's and Texans share just as much or more than Texans and folks from New York City. Last I checked NYC was part of America.

Dude, it was a dumb comment meant in jest or not. Carry on with your anti-pro-bowl rant.

Ah, the "lead moderator" attacking the poster by saying "it was a dumb comment."

I guess you can suspend the rules whenever you want. Must be nice.

And as for "3 days to respond" remark? I don't religiously scan every thread in every forum trying to find the very INSTANT in time that someone responds to my posts. I stroll along, and sometimes it takes awhile for me to return to the threads I have posted in. Not everybody is on here as much as you are, either. Some of us spread out our time by playing xbox in addition to posting on this board. LOL. In addition, my daughter has ran a 102 fever all week long (all five days) and I haven't been able to be on here as much. But thanks for being a dick about how I haven't got back to you and replied to your post. You and Dale have that in common: Calling out people for not answering the bell within your arbitrary timeline for acceptable post reply.

Back to the topic, though: The Pro Bowl is lame. A relic that old folks think is part of the fabric of the game. And as far as Texas being like Alaska and Hawaii? LOL. Whatever. The same attitude and culture in the northern Panhandle of Texas can be found in eastern New Mexico and in the panhandle of Oklahoma--Blurring the invisible lines of three state boundaries. My comment wasn't dumb, you just attack whatever I say and claim I'm dumb. Same story, different day in regards to your M.O. whenever I post.

I've got 4,038 rep points and yet the one guy on here who can't seem to find anything of mine "rep worthy" is, drum roll please...YOU. Coincidence? I think not. I can count on three things in life: Sun rises in the east, sun sets in the west, and 'Cak will always be there to tell everyone how dumb my posts are. Just another day in message board paradise. And btw, it's not that i seek your approval..it's that I want people to see that you are coming at me with instant bias toward what I post. Some folks get their jollies that way, I suppose. Oh wellsy.

GP
02-04-2011, 06:18 PM
You really seem to have a lot of hard feelings towards the pro bowl. I enjoyed the pro bowl. I liked the half-speed aspect. Especially when the linemen stopped blocking outright. Can you say air raid!!!!!!

Nobody takes it seriously. Why are you allowing yourself get all worked up over it. It's not a farce, it's just an exhibition game.

I'm not worked up over it. I'm worked up over this Texans team. Not the Pro Bowl.

I just weighed in on this specific thread topic.

I've always felt like this about the Pro Bowl, too. Even as a kid back in the 1980s and early 1990s. What other pro sports league holds its All Star game after the reg season is completely finished? Not the NBA. Not MLB. Not NHL.

If I can't have a contrary stance on things, then color me shocked. I thought we could kick it around. I have stated my "dumb reasons" as to why. Haven't really had anybody respond with much of why they like the Pro Bowl in contrast to why I dislike it. Well, you said you like the "half speed" aspect...which I just don't get, to be honest. Watching the best NFL athletes essentially jog and go half-ass in most aspects of the game is a recipe for channel surfing to me. I see that on Sundays with the Texans. :rimshot:

infantrycak
02-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Ah, the "lead moderator" attacking the poster by saying "it was a dumb comment."

I guess you can suspend the rules whenever you want. Must be nice.

Ignoring the as usual overly long remainder of your blathering but to be clear. No rule being suspended here. You are free to call a position or comment dumb, stupid, whatever. Just don't call the MB member dumb or stupid. I don't think you are dumb and didn't say you are dumb, but that comment was dumb. I'm sure you are smart enough to see the distinction.