PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior Bowl Game

Blake
01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.seniorbowl.com/

The 2011 Under Armour Senior Bowl is scheduled for Saturday, January 29, 2011, in Mobile’s Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

The 2011 game will kickoff at 3:00 pm CST and the contest will be nationally-televised by NFL Network.

Current Roster (http://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters.asp)

A TON of possible first round talent.

Bailey, Allen DE 6-4 / 285 Miami
Carimi, Gabe OL 6-7 / 327 Wisconsin
Clayborn, Adrian DE 6-4 / 285 Iowa
Castonzo, Anthony OL 6-7 / 308 Boston College
Dowling, Ras-I DB 6-2 / 205 Virginia
Hudson, Rodney OL 6-2 / 282 Florida State
Jones, Greg LB 6-1 / 240 Michigan State
Locker, Jake QB 6-3 / 230 Washington
Murray, DeMarco RB 6-1 / 207 Oklahoma
Nevis, Drake DL 6-2 / 285 LSU
Sherrod, Derek OL 6-6 / 305 Mississippi State
Thomas, Daniel RB 6-2 / 228 Kansas State
Williams, D.J. TE 6-2 / 251 Arkansas

Texaninlild
01-18-2011, 04:22 PM
http://www.seniorbowl.com/

Current Roster (http://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters.asp)

A TON of possible first round talent.

Bailey, Allen DE 6-4 / 285 Miami
Carimi, Gabe OL 6-7 / 327 Wisconsin
Clayborn, Adrian DE 6-4 / 285 Iowa
Castonzo, Anthony OL 6-7 / 308 Boston College
Dowling, Ras-I DB 6-2 / 205 Virginia
Hudson, Rodney OL 6-2 / 282 Florida State
Jones, Greg LB 6-1 / 240 Michigan State
Locker, Jake QB 6-3 / 230 Washington
Murray, DeMarco RB 6-1 / 207 Oklahoma
Nevis, Drake DL 6-2 / 285 LSU
Sherrod, Derek OL 6-6 / 305 Mississippi State
Thomas, Daniel RB 6-2 / 228 Kansas State
Williams, D.J. TE 6-2 / 251 Arkansas

I will take one of each..please drive through :kubepalm:

Section516
01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
I will take one of each..please drive through :kubepalm:

Id take Dowling - Was a projected first rounder last year, had injuries senior year - I'd def. take him if he was available in 3rd/4th..but i imagine he'll go in the 2nd

IDEXAN
01-19-2011, 08:02 AM
And don't forget Von Miller from your list of top senior candidates. I'm especially looking forward to the week of practice before the game when they telecast the one-on-one drills including the pass-rushing drills.
And Draft guru favorite Mike Mayock is back on the scene - totally enjoy his commentary and analysis.

BigBull17
01-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I love Senior bowl practice week. It's a lot of fun to watch.

kiwitexansfan
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Any good sites for news on senior bowl performances?

Or should I just wait on all you draft junkies to fill me in?

Lucky
01-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Any good sites for news on senior bowl performances?

Or should I just wait on all you draft junkies to fill me in?
Scott Wright of NFLDraftCountdown.com (http://www.draftcountdown.com/) will have weigh-in data, daily practice updates, and rumors regarding which team is looking at which players in Mobile.

Great Blue North draft report has updates on the East-West Shrine practices (http://www.gbnreport.com/shrinereport.html) and weigh-ins (http://www.gbnreport.com/shrinehtswts.html).

beerlover
01-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Scott Wright of NFLDraftCountdown.com (http://www.draftcountdown.com/) will have weigh-in data, daily practice updates, and rumors regarding which team is looking at which players in Mobile.

Great Blue North draft report has updates on the East-West Shrine practices (http://www.gbnreport.com/shrinereport.html) and weigh-ins (http://www.gbnreport.com/shrinehtswts.html).

Terrance Tolliver LSU 6-3.5 211 - whoever drafts him will be a happy camper. sure would be a nice #2 WR for Texans, doubt he'll last til 3rd rd. though?

IDEXAN
01-24-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-weighin-results.html
This link has the SB weighin data - check it out.
For example, Von Miller came in at 237 lbs, 6'2.5" & 34 " arms. Not bad -
I like the arm length and I'm not surprised he's < 240.
Stephen Paea came in at 295 lbs, 6'1", & 33 & 4/8 " arms. Not good - lite and short.

bah007
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I've seen some posters on here pushing Paea as a NT and I'm just not buying it.

I buy the first round grade that people have on him. I have him graded in the top 25. But I think he is a 43 guy only.

I think some people are so desperate for us to grab a NT that they are pushing guys who don't fit into that spot.

painekiller
01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I go to draftdaddy.com the blog section has highlights from around the country, and it also highlights some of the national guys.

I use the site year round.

Blake
01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I've seen some posters on here pushing Paea as a NT and I'm just not buying it.

I buy the first round grade that people have on him. I have him graded in the top 25. But I think he is a 43 guy only.

I think some people are so desperate for us to grab a NT that they are pushing guys who don't fit into that spot.

Ill say that I am not buying Fairley #1 overall to the panthers. The last time a DT was drafted #1 overall was in 1994. Dan Wilkenson.

Rookie head coach Ron Rivera will take either a QB to grow with, or Bowers. Dark horse is Peterson.

J_R
01-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Orgeon State DT Stephen Paea, a potential 1st rd pick, out rest of Sr. Bowl. MRI, suspected lateral meniscus knee injury

RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider)

LSU corner Patrick Peterson says he has meetings with the Houston Texans, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, Redskins, Saints and 49ers

bah007
01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Ill say that I am not buying Fairley #1 overall to the panthers. The last time a DT was drafted #1 overall was in 1994. Dan Wilkenson.

Rookie head coach Ron Rivera will take either a QB to grow with, or Bowers. Dark horse is Peterson.

I can't see a QB in this class going #1 overall. That would be a tremendous waste considering the talent available.

I think either A.J. Green, DaQuan Bowers, or Patrick Peterson go number one. I think Bowers is most likely.

JWarren14
01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Per Scout.com

The Houston Texans met with Virginia Tech DB Rashad Carmichael, who had two interceptions during Monday's North Team practice. That isolated fact may instantly make him an upgrade over every other player in Houston's historically inept secondary.

LOL

rmartin65
01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
I would take Carmichael in the 3rd or 4th. Ball hawk that the secondary lacks.

kiwitexansfan
01-25-2011, 08:31 PM
FYI on some Huskers.

Helu Jr, has been impressive so far.
Niles Paul has looked like an NFL WR without actually showing anything with ball in the air.
Alex Henery has been punting there and doing it poorly.
Eric Hagg has looked really bad from all accounts, I was really disappointed in this, looks like he is not an option for us after all like I thought he might be. Good college player, not a pro perhaps.
Mike McNeil, TE, being compared favourably to Colt Tammi, able to stretch the field along the seam.

Trap_Star
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
titus is looking super quick out there.

steelbtexan
01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
titus is looking super quick out there.

Yes he is.

As bad as we need defense I would consider taking him in the 3rd rd.

Dude is a playmaker and would look great opposite AJ.

kiwitexansfan
01-25-2011, 09:16 PM
The Cal Defensive end, didn't catch the name is tearing the place apart from all reports.

Apparently he has been playing a bit of DT too, is he big enough for us to look at?

Trap_Star
01-25-2011, 10:49 PM
The Cal Defensive end, didn't catch the name is tearing the place apart from all reports.

Apparently he has been playing a bit of DT too, is he big enough for us to look at?

cameron jordan...a big time disruptor. he was a beast at cal. can definitely play the 5 tech.

if we do end up going up going DE, i'd take him over watt.

beerlover
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
cameron jordan...a big time disruptor. he was a beast at cal. can definitely play the 5 tech.

if we do end up going up going DE, i'd take him over watt.

why?

Trap_Star
01-26-2011, 12:19 AM
why?

he also plays with a high motor, he's instinctive, extremely disruptive. has the nfl bloodline and add the fact that he's the better athlete. if he was a pure pass rusher, he'd probably be a top 5 pick.

Trap_Star
01-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Yes he is.

As bad as we need defense I would consider taking him in the 3rd rd.

Dude is a playmaker and would look great opposite AJ.

he's been the best player there these first 2 days...he's making $$$ right now...he could easily go top 50 if he continues to impress.

beerlover
01-26-2011, 02:03 AM
he's been the best player there these first 2 days...he's making $$$ right now...he could easily go top 50 if he continues to impress.

yeah, maybe he's this years Senior Bowl version of Amobi Okoye?

ps - cam jordon is #30 on our big board

drs23
01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
And don't forget Von Miller from your list of top senior candidates. I'm especially looking forward to the week of practice before the game when they telecast the one-on-one drills including the pass-rushing drills.
And Draft guru favorite Mike Mayock is back on the scene - totally enjoy his commentary and analysis.

What time do they air the practices on NFLN? I would like to record it.

Thanks.

HOU-TEX
01-26-2011, 12:42 PM
What time do they air the practices on NFLN? I would like to record it.

Thanks.

Right now, I think

bah007
01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
yeah, maybe he's this years Senior Bowl version of Amobi Okoye?

ps - cam jordon is #30 on our big board

He is #9 on mine. And I haven't even been able to watch a lick of the Senior Bowl stuff yet. Been busy all week and my dvr is getting backed up.

It's not like he can't move up on y'alls board if he is doing as well as it's being reported.

drs23
01-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Right now, I think

Thanks Hou-Tex. Dang, didn't know it went on all afternoon. Mama's gonna be pissed. TV in the BR for her tonight! :D

HOU-TEX
01-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks Hou-Tex. Dang, didn't know it went on all afternoon. Mama's gonna be pissed. TV in the BR for her tonight! :D

Yup, I watched a little at lunch, but not really enough to form a report for y'all. However, there were 2 players that kinda made me focus on them a bit more. Hunter, RB from Okl State stood out in 1 on 1 pass protection drills. And this Kerrigan fella from Purdue looked pretty good coming off the edge in team drills.

I also watched the Mathews kid a bit. Was kinda underwhelmed the little I saw, but I'll keep an eye on him anyway. Although, he had a sweet spin move against a RB in the 1 on 1 drill.

beerlover
01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
He is #9 on mine. And I haven't even been able to watch a lick of the Senior Bowl stuff yet. Been busy all week and my dvr is getting backed up.

It's not like he can't move up on y'alls board if he is doing as well as it's being reported.

I'm never going to move someone way up or down based off Senior Bowl week. It should be afirmation of a seasons worth of work. learned that one hard way along with Texans (I hope) with Amobi Okoye. Yes he is first rd. talent all depends on team needs & how they draft are they position selective or highest grade/bpa heavy? He could move up maybe 5-10 spots from 30 thats alot, really if you've done homework all year, I mean you have to ask yourself what's changed, or is it because projected forward its a hot position, in his case looks like the 5 technique. He could also be hurt to some degree from playing in the PAC 10 which isn't exposed around rest of the country & conference is known for spread offenses without much defense. Once you bring them in & compare head to shoulder with group can you confirm where they should fall in draft class @ specific position.

JimBaker488
01-26-2011, 11:04 PM
This week at the SB practices they were talking about the outstanding group of
offensive tackles in this years Draft and at Mobile, which got them to talking about the Draft year when so many OTs were drafted in the first round.
Anyway somebody mentioned Duane Brown being the 7th and last OT taken in the 1st round of that draft, at which time Mayoc said he had a third round grade on Brown.

Lucky
01-26-2011, 11:14 PM
...at which time Mayoc said he had a third round grade on Brown.
Brown hasn't been a superstar, especially as a pass blocker. But, he's not a 3rd round talent, either. The Chargers were poised to snap up Brown with the next pick, so the idea the Texans reached on Brown was debunked on draft day.

I'm not going to blow sunshine up your arse about Kubiak and Smith and their outstanding drafts. But after years of neglecting the LT position, the Texans absolutely, positively had to find one in the '08 draft. Brown has stopped the hemorrhaging at the position.

I realize Mayock has become something of a draftnik folk hero. Maybe I'm the only one who remembers that he had A&M's Reggie McNeal as his #1 QB in the '06 draft for quite awhile. Mayock misses his share.

JB
01-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Brown hasn't been a superstar, especially as a pass blocker. But, he's not a 3rd round talent, either. The Chargers were poised to snap up Brown with the next pick, so the idea the Texans reached on Brown was debunked on draft day.

I'm not going to blow sunshine up your arse about Kubiak and Smith and their outstanding drafts. But after years of neglecting the LT position, the Texans absolutely, positively had to find one in the '08 draft. Brown has stopped the hemorrhaging at the position.

I realize Mayock has become something of a draftnik folk hero. Maybe I'm the only one who remembers that he had A&M's Reggie McNeal as his #1 QB in the '06 draft for quite awhile. Mayock misses his share.

Yes he does. He is a big believer in "quick twitch" muscles. And once he gets a little down on someone, he will never admit that they were better than he gives them credit for.

Trap_Star
01-26-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm never going to move someone way up or down based off Senior Bowl week. It should be afirmation of a seasons worth of work. learned that one hard way along with Texans (I hope) with Amobi Okoye. Yes he is first rd. talent all depends on team needs & how they draft are they position selective or highest grade/bpa heavy? He could move up maybe 5-10 spots from 30 thats alot, really if you've done homework all year, I mean you have to ask yourself what's changed, or is it because projected forward its a hot position, in his case looks like the 5 technique. He could also be hurt to some degree from playing in the PAC 10 which isn't exposed around rest of the country & conference is known for spread offenses without much defense. Once you bring them in & compare head to shoulder with group can you confirm where they should fall in draft class @ specific position.

i knew jordan would be a 1st round prospect since last year. after the jags picked tyson alualu, i went to youtube to watch some of alualu's highlights...and sure enough jordan stuck out as well. the guy has value no matter what scheme they run. he can play in the 4-3 and 3-4. the workouts and interviews will have a lot to do where he goes. i could potentially see him going as early as 7 to SF, it all depends how the board plays out. if i had to make a mock draft today, i would probably put him at 17 to NE. it's still very early in the evaluating process, but the guy can ball...oh and the pac 10 isn't all about the spread, usc, standford, and even cal run pro-style offenses.

beerlover
01-27-2011, 01:32 AM
i knew jordan would be a 1st round prospect since last year. after the jags picked tyson alualu, i went to youtube to watch some of alualu's highlights...and sure enough jordan stuck out as well. the guy has value no matter what scheme they run. he can play in the 4-3 and 3-4. the workouts and interviews will have a lot to do where he goes. i could potentially see him going as early as 7 to SF, it all depends how the board plays out. if i had to make a mock draft today, i would probably put him at 17 to NE. it's still very early in the evaluating process, but the guy can ball...oh and the pac 10 isn't all about the spread, usc, standford, and even cal run pro-style offenses.

fair enough, thats why every teams draft boards vary. doesn't mean Alualu was the the best pick they could make but he's been solid for the most part, if teams have a great need to address is quite common to reach for a position.

Arizona stole Antonio Smith in the 5th rd. Texans needed a pass rushing LDE to compliment Mario & paid him strong money to come here, now transitions to a 3-4 end & should yield similar results. In fact Antonio reminds me of Cameron Jordon, I think they're also pretty close size wise so the Texans should be set on end & wait to take one latter to develop in the draft.

Selected by the Arizona Cardinals in the fifth round (135th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft...Signed by Cardinals on July 27, 2004...released by Cardinals on September 5, 2004...Re-signed by Cardinals to practice squad on September 6, 2004...Signed by Cardinals to active roster on December 15, 2004...Assigned by Cardinals to Hamburg Sea Devils in 2005 NFL Europe enhancement allocation program on February 14, 2005...Released by Cardinals on September 4, 2005...Re-signed by Cardinals to practice squad on September 8, 2005...Signed by Cardinals to active roster on October 6, 2005...Re-signed with Cardinals on April 5, 2007...Re-signed with Cardinals on April 3, 2008...Signed by the Houston Texans on March 1, 2009.

PRO: A physical and versatile veteran defensive end who joined the Texans as an unrestricted free agent prior to the 2009 season...started 15 of 16 games in his first season in Houston and registered 33 tackles, 4.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries...played in 61 games with 39 starts over five seasons with the Arizona Cardinals...spent the spring of 2005 with the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europe, starting nine-of-10 games and finished with six sacks, 28 tackles and a forced fumble while earning all-NFL Europe honors...worked his way up from the Cardinals practice squad to become a regular starter, eventually starting all three playoff games for the Cardinals in their run to Super Bowl XLII.

COLLEGE: Two-year starter at Oklahoma State after transferring from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College…though his senior season was shortened by a leg injury, still managed to record two-year totals of 60 tackles (30 solos), 8.5 sacks, seven quarterback pressures and three pass deflections in 24 games.

Cameron Jordan
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 287 | 40-Time: 4.80

Official Bio

Strengths:
• Ideal size with extremely long arms / huge hands
• Excellent athleticism along with NFL bloodlines
• Good balance and agility as well as quick feet
• Displays a varied repertoire of pass rush moves
• A reliable tackler who will deliver the knockout hit
• Will disrupt passing lanes and bat down passes
• Active with good range and does nice job in pursuit
• Showcases violent hands and can get off of blocks
• Strong, powerful and stout at the point of attack
• Competitive and aggressive with a non-stop motor
• Polished technician and understands angles / leverage
• Fantastic football IQ, instincts and awareness
• Able to play multiple positions in different schemes
• Tough and a hard worker who strives for excellence
• Productive and durable with lots of quality experience

Weaknesses:
• Is not overly fast or explosive and lacks a burst
• Is not necessarily a dangerous threat off the edge
• Will struggle in space and doesn't look comfortable
• Will play out of control and lose contain at times
• Ran into some trouble off the field at one point
• Might be a bit of a positional / schematic 'tweener

Notes:
Was a three-year starter for the Bears --- Named 1st Team All-Pac-10 in 2010 --- Father, Steve, played tight end in the NFL for 13 seasons and made 6 Pro Bowl's --- Arrested in 2008 for suspicion of driving under the influence and served a one game suspension --- Extremely versatile and could project as a base end capable of moving inside to defensive tackle on occassion in a 4-3 scheme or to a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 front --- Underrated prospect who, like his former teammate Tyson Alualu, could end up being selected much earlier than most realize --- Isn't flashy and may never be a dynamic sack artist in the pros but should be a solid starter for a very long time.

HOU-TEX
01-27-2011, 10:24 AM

As do all of them. However, Mayock seems to actually study and watch players very closely compared to the rest. His voice might get a little annoying after a while, but the info he's spewing is usually really good. I like Charles Davis too, maybe a little McGooish at times, but he does his due diligence as well. I won't even consider the other assbags who cover the draft. They aren't worth a penny they're paid.

Mayock and Davis FTW.....and it's not even close

Blake
01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
His voice might get a little annoying after a while, but the info he's spewing is usually really good.

Did you hear him at the combine when he lost his voice? Awful, awful, awful!

I couldnt listen to him.

steelbtexan
01-27-2011, 11:07 AM
BL, Although I agree with you not moving a guy up based on just a great Sr Bowl week. The scouts are going to move Jordan up to between 7-20.

See the Texans/Okoye

I think a slight move up may be in order. 17-25. But teams make mistakes when they base their draft on 1 wk of practice. How are you going to base the big board?

Off how we preceive the talent or where a player is most likely to be drafted?

beerlover
01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
BL, Although I agree with you not moving a guy up based on just a great Sr Bowl week. The scouts are going to move Jordan up to between 7-20.

See the Texans/Okoye

I think a slight move up may be in order. 17-25. But teams make mistakes when they base their draft on 1 wk of practice. How are you going to base the big board?

Off how we preceive the talent or where a player is most likely to be drafted?

everybody is different. style, passion, objectivity, agenda, experience or lack thereof etc. etc. etc.

when talking Texans draft its never added up, their history speaks for itself. closest thing to a Texan draft guru is LZ, if your goal is to mock the Texans with the most accuracy I would recommend following his work. to me LZ is better than anybody else out there & when he doesn't know something he brings in the best scouts out there to grill & impart their knowledge. this is not a plug its honest assessment from following his & John Harris work for years.

If you want to just follow & track where players are most likely to be drafted over the entire NFL, Kiper, McShay etc make a living doing it so they have inside sources as it gets closer to know how front offices feel about specific prospects.

This is my 8th season actively following the draft, mostly in response to poor results from my adopted team the Texans. Would like to get into it deeper, would be a great job if you could get it but resources only provide so much as a result I do cannot review film of all the prospects & have to count on scouts opinions I trust the most.

The really neat thing about being a draft junkie to me is its the perfect marriage between College Football & the NFL. Both exist to serve each other & only in these select months between the end of a College Football prospects career to possibly earning a full time living doing it is the road to the draft. to me its the ultimate entertainment & education of the pulse of youth today as they attempt to make their own marks in our collective conscious as our favorite athletes playing for our favorite team(s) the Texans. :texan:

HOU-TEX
01-27-2011, 02:27 PM
They were in helmets only today. It was kinda boring unless you like watching the QBs. I'd rather watch defensive front 7's and Oline crackin in full pads. Guess I have to wait until Saturday afternoon. Gotta get my chores done early.

JimBaker488
01-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Mayock is a legit draftnik hero, in part because he played the game as a DB in both college and in the NFL and has done years and years of scouting and player analysis. He's always a very entertaining and knowledgeable football guy who can teach 99.99 % of the NFL fans quite a bit. Somebody like Kiper listens to what others say, and then writes it down on a list he calls his own mock. Mayock listens to others, but he also knows enough about the game to do lots of his own player evaluation. But as you point out he makes bad calls like everyone does. Here's another example. In his final ratings of CBs before last years draft he has Kareem ranked ahead of McCourty. You know what, nobodys perfect.
Draft:
Cornerbacks
1Joe Haden*
Florida
2Kyle Wilson
Boise State
3Kareem Jackson*
Alabama
4Devin McCourty
Rutgers
T-5
Chris Cook
Virginia
T-5
Patrick Robinson
Florida State
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81796801&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

JimBaker488
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm really confused about Baylor NT Phil Taylor, because Mike Mayoc is now on record this week at the Senior Bowl as saying he's impessed by him, but Chronicle columnist and Baylor grad John McClain has watched him play a lot of ball and says he hasn't shown him much. And is their a bigger Baylor-homer than McClain ? What's that about ?

JB
01-27-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm really confused about Baylor NT Phil Taylor, because Mike Mayoc is now on record this week at the Senior Bowl as saying he's impessed by him, but Chronicle columnist and Baylor grad John McClain has watched him play a lot of ball and says he hasn't shown him much. And is their a bigger Baylor-homer than McClain ? What's that about ?

John McClain knows squat compared to Mayock.

Maddict5
01-28-2011, 08:24 AM
As do all of them. However, Mayock seems to actually study and watch players very closely compared to the rest. His voice might get a little annoying after a while, but the info he's spewing is usually really good. I like Charles Davis too, maybe a little McGooish at times, but he does his due diligence as well. I won't even consider the other assbags who cover the draft. They aren't worth a penny they're paid.

Mayock and Davis FTW.....and it's not even close

smh.. charles davis is the most retarded 'expert' ive ever read.. too many horrible examples to choose from. hes literally clueless. look it up. agreed on mayock though

HOU-TEX
01-28-2011, 10:15 AM
smh.. charles davis is the most retarded 'expert' ive ever read.. too many horrible examples to choose from. hes literally clueless. look it up. agreed on mayock though

What does "smh" mean?

JB
01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
What does "smh" mean?

Shake My Head

HOU-TEX
01-28-2011, 10:21 AM

He is a bit McGooish, but still does his due diligence. I'd listen to him before any espn assbag.

Shake My Head

Ah, gotcha. I thought I was being called a name in some kinda way

kiwitexansfan
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
• Nebraska TE Lee Smith out of Marshall had a great first day blocking. He held up Cal defensive end Cameron Jordan in one of the first 7-on-7 drills and even pancaked Oklahoma’s Jeremy Beal. Smith seemed average in pass catching drills, but I was thoroughly impressed with his blocking.

• Wisconsin tight end Lance Kendricks had a great practice all around. He had a really nice block in one on ones and showed great effort as a whole blocking. In one on ones, he made some major adjustments to catch low passes and made a nice double move to beat Lawrence Wilson in coverage.

• Mike McNeill had a below average day. He did not particularly flash in one on one drills. In 7-on-7’s he struggled with a few blocks in both run and pass protection. Mediocre performance.

Because you know where drafting one..... Draftcountdown.com

WolverineFan
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM

I'm not impressed with Taylor either. He reminds me of Terrence Cody in that he is a big, fat guy perfectly suited (body/size-wise) to be a 3-4 NT. Except, like Cody, he has no football skills...

There's more to playing football than just being really big. You need specific tools or skills and the guys that have the body and not the skills are the guys that bust.

JimBaker488
01-28-2011, 10:47 PM
John McClain knows squat compared to Mayock.

No doubt. But McClain would never fail to rep a player from his own school if there was just one positive thing about him, he's got that kind of blind loyalty to his own. Taylors had some off field issues, that must be why McClain is so negative about him ?

JB
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
When & where is the Senior Bowl showing?

steelbtexan
01-29-2011, 03:30 PM
when & where is the senior bowl showing?

nfln @ 3:00

JB
01-29-2011, 03:49 PM
nfln @ 3:00

Thanks!

TexansSeminole
01-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Anybody watching the game?

JB
01-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Anybody watching the game?

I am.

JB
01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Ponder is not helping himself. But Locke sure is.

TexansSeminole
01-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Ponder is not helping himself. But Locke sure is.

Ponder has good stats. He ran for 2 first downs, threw for 94 yards and a TD going 5/9.

JB
01-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Ponder has good stats. He ran for 2 first downs, threw for 94 yards and a TD going 5/9.

56 yds of that was on a severely underthrown ball that Hank made a nice adjustment and got lucky when it bounced off his chest. Ponder's accuracy did not look good.

Honoring Earl 34
01-29-2011, 05:36 PM
I see some 3-4 OLB prospects and one big NT . I do believe that Wade would want an athletic 337 lb NT more than a 300 lb athletic NT .

JB
01-29-2011, 06:23 PM
I see some 3-4 OLB prospects and one big NT . I do believe that Wade would want an athletic 337 lb NT more than a 300 lb athletic NT .

Yeah, Taylor looking pretty good. Would be an awesome 2nd round pick

Honoring Earl 34
01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah, Taylor looking pretty good. Would be an awesome 2nd round pick

I'm hoping he's there .

JB
01-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm hoping he's there .

I think there is a pretty good chance. We pick 10th?

steelbtexan
01-29-2011, 07:26 PM
I think there is a pretty good chance. We pick 10th?

That's what I'm thinking.

Trading down and picking Taylor would be the best possible scenerio.

But picking Taylor at #11 wouldn't be a bad pick. I would rather Smith reach on Taylor instead of reaching on Harris or Ayers.

JB
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
That's what I'm thinking.

Trading down and picking Taylor would be the best possible scenerio.

But picking Taylor at #11 wouldn't be a bad pick. I would rather Smith reach on Taylor instead of reaching on Harris or Ayers.

You don't think that Taylor will make it to 10 in the second?

JimBaker488
01-29-2011, 08:23 PM
If Von Miller wasn't gonna be there at 11 before this week, I'm not sure if he's there at 5 now ? The way Mayock and Co have heaped praise on this guy he might be the #1 overall ?

disaacks3
01-29-2011, 08:33 PM
If Von Miller wasn't gonna be there at 11 before this week, I'm not sure if he's there at 5 now ? The way Mayock and Co have heaped praise on this guy he might be the #1 overall ?

The pundits can say what they want now, but they won't really start getting slotted until the combine and/or individual pro days.

JB
01-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Nah, ain't no way he will go # 1

JimBaker488
01-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Did the Senior Bowl use to be the North-South game and if so was the name changed to be politically correct ?

steelbtexan
01-29-2011, 09:00 PM
You don't think that Taylor will make it to 10 in the second?

Hopefully he will be there. A team like New England could pick him up at #32/33. Denver,Dallas or the Tacks could also pick Taylor before the Texans pick at #40.

That's why they need to get their center piece NT in rd 1/2.

I've been keeping up with Brooks Reed at the Sr. Bowl. How did he look in the game today?

Reed would be a good pick in the 4th rd. IMHO

How would you feel about a draft like this.

Rd.1 Ayers
Rd.2 Taylor
Rd.3 Carter
Rd.4.Reed

The problem is the meaningless win at the end of the season has put this team just out of the elite picks at positions of need. This has happened for 4 straight yrs.

This is why I'm even more in favor of trading up for Peterson. (Cant miss) There's not a cant miss at #11. A NT could be found in FA and another one in Rd 3/4. With Gary and Rick's draft history pick #11 isn't a good place to be.

JimBaker488
01-29-2011, 09:07 PM
I've been keeping up with Brooks Reed at the Sr. Bowl. How did he look in the game today?
Reed would be a good pick in the 4th rd. IMHO

He's been impressive all week in practice and in the game today - got atleast 1 sack. And your dreaming if you think 4th round, no later than 3rd and likely earlier round IMO. The sack I saw him get today he was rushing from the edge standing up-right.

steelbtexan
01-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Did the Senior Bowl use to be the North-South game and if so was the name changed to be politically correct ?

The North/South game was going bankrupt.

When UnderArmour agreed to sponsor the game the name was changed to the U/A Sr.Bowl.

Honoring Earl 34
01-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Last year Mount Cody went in the 2nd round . He was the 57th player taken if that's any reference for Taylor . Dan Williams went in the 1st rd at 26 . http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72899&draftyear=2010&genpos=DT

Guys who looked like they could play OLB today . Of course we'll see what they run .

Miller
Reed
Acho
Kerrigan

JimBaker488
01-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Ponder is not helping himself.
Really ? FYI he was named game MVP.

JB
01-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Really ? FYI he was named game MVP.

I know that. I made that comment in the first qtr. I still don't think he helped himself like he wanted to.

beerlover
01-30-2011, 01:07 AM
getting a bad vibe off comments, having not seen the game yet myself, that Taylor will not last for Texans to use their 2nd rd. pick on & that Von Miller goes top 10? Is this actual consensus?

JB
01-30-2011, 02:01 AM
getting a bad vibe off comments, having not seen the game yet myself, that Taylor will not last for Texans to use their 2nd rd. pick on & that Von Miller goes top 10? Is this actual consensus?

Yeah, the way they are talking him up Miller will definitely go top 10. And Taylor may go anywhere from 25-43.

Miller still scares me, but he did look good in the Senior Bowl. Taylor was down to 337 and looked like a beast.

aussie_texan
01-30-2011, 02:35 AM
i didnt get to see the game can someone please tell me how the following players played:

North team:
Quinton Carter - FS
Sione Fua - NT/DT
Ian Williams - NT/DT
Titus Young - WR
Ryan Kerrigan - DE/OLB

South Team:
Deandre Mcdaniel - SS
Von Miller - OLB
Brooks Reed - OLB
Phil Taylor - NT

thanks guys

76Texan
01-30-2011, 03:13 AM
i didnt get to see the game can someone please tell me how the following players played:

North team:
Quinton Carter - FS
Sione Fua - NT/DT
Ian Williams - NT/DT
Titus Young - WR
Ryan Kerrigan - DE/OLB

South Team:
Deandre Mcdaniel - SS
Von Miller - OLB
Brooks Reed - OLB
Phil Taylor - NT

thanks guys

I'm still waiting to watch the game from tenyard.
What I can offer after watching some of these guys for a couple of years:
Titus Young has good speed, if he can work on his moves, he can become a good player (Andre Davis with upside).

Reed (while I was watching our own the Mitch, his former teammate) has always been a workhorse. (I watched him some this year also.)
One of those guys who loves the game and just goes after it.
The upside may be limited since he has been working hard at it, but he's at least should be considered somewhere around the same draft round with Mitchell last year.
When I watched them play together, it was hard to decide which one was more important or more efficient to the scheme.
In that sense, Reed should be drafted higher than Mitchell (since he played at the approximate level a year earlier); however, Mitchell had to switch positions. My guesstimate is that they probably should be drafted at about the same slot, give or take.
If End is at a shorter demand then he could be drafted higher.

76Texan
01-30-2011, 03:26 AM
On the other hand, he looks somewhat like Matthews.
And Matthews turned it up a notch when he entered the NFL, so it's hard to tell.
Guys who simply go after it, I don't think you can go wrong having them on your team.

steelbtexan
01-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah, the way they are talking him up Miller will definitely go top 10. And Taylor may go anywhere from 25-43.

Miller still scares me, but he did look good in the Senior Bowl. Taylor was down to 337 and looked like a beast.

Exactly

This is why a trade up (Peterson) or a trade down (Taylor) if possible would be the best possible scenerio.

Smith needs to be agressive and not just sit still at # 11. The past draft record says Gary and Rick will find a way to screw it up.

steelbtexan
01-30-2011, 11:12 AM
On the other hand, he looks somewhat like Matthews.
And Matthews turned it up a notch when he entered the NFL, so it's hard to tell.
Guys who simply go after it, I don't think you can go wrong having them on your team.

This is what's wrong with the Texans as a team.

There are not enough guys like Reed on this team. Guys that simply get after it.

steelbtexan
01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=aussie_texan;1644399]i didnt get to see the game can someone please tell me how the following players played:

North team:
Quinton Carter - FS, Didn't play

Sione Fua - NT/DT, Looked good but was a notch below Taylor

Ian Williams - NT/DT, Didn't really make a difference

Titus Young - WR, Hard to say he looked fast, but didn't remind me of DeSean Jackson. This could've been due to poor QB play.

Ryan Kerrigan - DE/OLB, Looked great, took Solder to school.

South Team:
Deandre Mcdaniel - SS, Looked OK, In the box S who has some ability to cover.

Von Miller - OLB, Best player in the game, stock is soaring.

Brooks Reed - OLB, Really impressed me, Plays extremely hard and can get after the QB. Reminds me of a young Mike Vrabel. Love for the Texans to draft him in Rd. 3/4.

Phil Taylor - NT, Dominant, Went from a 3rd rd pick to a late 1st rd pick. Big man that is quick, He's the type of NT that the Texans need to transition to a 3-4.

beerlover
01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Buffalo has 2nd (#34) pick of second round. Gailey incorporates a 3-4 he needs a NT & he's coaching Taylor. So if Texans target Taylor they will need to jump ahead of them.

New England likes to trade back? #28 (660) would cost Houston 2nd (480) + 3rd (225) with NE kicking back a 4th (48). 660 = 480+225-48(657).

JCTexan
01-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Buffalo has 2nd (#34) pick of second round. Gailey incorporates a 3-4 he needs a NT & he's coaching Taylor. So if Texans target Taylor they will need to jump ahead of them.

New England likes to trade back? #28 (660) would cost Houston 2nd (480) + 3rd (225) with NE kicking back a 4th (48). 660 = 480+225-48(657).

Who would you select at 11 with that trade in mind?

What about trading back in the first to pick up either Justin Houston or Aldon Smith then trading back up to select Taylor with the picks acquired?

steelbtexan
01-30-2011, 04:16 PM

I would do this trade.

Then try to trade back into the 3rd. Even if it cost future picks to draft a S. There should be a good S available in the 3rd rd. Think of the players that could be drafted.

Rd.1 Houston
Rd.1 Taylor
Rd.4 Jerrard Tarrant
Rd.4 David Carter
Rd.5 Ronald Johnson

If a good Ike Taylor CB is added in FA. This will go from a weak on the DL and slow in the secondary defense. To a young fast dangerous defense that will make mistakes because they're young. As opposed to the crap defense that couldn't get pressure on the QB and had possibly the worst secondary in the history of the NFL.

Late rd S guys to look at drafting are Shiloh Keo, Eugene Clifford and Andrew Rich. (76 Texans guy) I checked him out and like him alot. That guys a player. Rich is the kinda guy that will fall because of his measurables. But his instincts are off the charts. (Jim Leonhard)

The Texans could use more guys like Rich,Keo etc...

If Kubiak falls on his face again this yr the he will be gone. That's why I could see the Texans moving up for Taylor this yr. Or atleast Kubiak will make it to the combine this yr. Regardless there's hope that the Texans will atleast be agressive this offseason.

steelbtexan
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Who would you select at 11 with that trade in mind?

What about trading back in the first to pick up either Justin Houston or Aldon Smith then trading back up to select Taylor with the picks acquired?

Or this,

The Texans need to be thinking outside the box this offseason. I dont know if Rick/Gary are capable of thinking this way.

JimBaker488
01-30-2011, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=aussie_texan;1644399]
Phil Taylor - NT, Dominant, Went from a 3rd rd pick to a late 1st rd pick. Big man that is quick, He's the type of NT that the Texans need to transition to a 3-4.
But does Wade want a big fat NT like he had in Jamaill Williams in SD, who's like Baylor's Taylor and probably more of a 2-gapper, or does he want to go with a smaller, quick player like he had in Dallas with Ratliff who's a gap rusher like the 3-tech DTs in the 4-3 ? Perhaps he dosen't have a preference, though I doubt he or the Texans would share that kind of info with us ?

steelbtexan
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Phillips also had Ted Washington in Buffalo

Ratliff is the only small NT that he has coached.

Curly Culp was another big NT that Phillips has coached. When he was an AC with the Oilers.

aussie_texan
01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
thanks steelb for the run down before

Lucky
01-30-2011, 07:50 PM
The Bills just spent a 2nd round pick on a NT last year, Torell Troup.

Ole Miss Texan
01-31-2011, 11:09 AM

This is what I've been thinking of all morning long. Ideally, a small trade down in the 1st round. Then use the extra pick we gained to move our second up to late 1st. We'd still have our original 3rd.

Two guys yall have really got me excited about are JJ Watt and Justin Houston. Interestingly enough NE could take either at 17th. Jacksonville at 16 won't trade up with us. That leaves Miami, St. Louis, Detroit and Minnesota. Not sure a trade would happen.

So that leaves me with thinking JJ Watt or Justin Houston at the 11th.

New England also has the 33rd pick (1st in the 2nd round). So if we trade our 2nd rounder for their 33rd and then swap 3rd rounders with them, that could happen. They'd have selected at 17 and 28, then moved from 33rd to 43 (9 spots) and pick up 20 slots in the 3rd. That way we don't give up a pick.

Take Phil Taylor at 33.

JJ Watt - Phil Taylor - Mario Williams would be a great DL.
Barwin/Cushing as OLBS. Demeco/Sharpton inside with another LB selection in the 3rd. Either OLB or ILB.

How did Kelvin Sheppard of LSU look in the game? Coud be a good ILB to target with the late 3rd we got from New England.

We're already young in the secondary. Gotta get a FA CB like Aso, Bailey or Taylor. Earlier post mentioned Ike Taylor. This could be the start of a very very good defense.