PDA

View Full Version : How painful would this be?

JB
01-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews is interviewing with the Dallas Cowboys Monday about an assistant offensive line coach position, according to multiple sources.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6030974)

Dutchrudder
01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
The Cowboys need offensive line help, so I would expect they will outbid the Texans for his services if he gets an offer. I still don't know why the Texans would allow him to interview if they wouldn't do the same courtesy to us for position coaches. Is his contract up?

JB
01-17-2011, 04:16 PM
It would be for a higher position, so I don't know if they have a choice.

ChampionTexan
01-17-2011, 04:26 PM
It would be for a higher position, so I don't know if they have a choice.

They would if he (Matthews) was under contract. A few years ago with NFL teams creating positions for coordinators, Asst. HC - Offense, Asst. HC - Defense, and I'm sure a few more creative ones than that, the NFL basically said there are only two classes of coaches - Assistant Coach, and Head Coach, and unless your going from Assistant to Head, the team the coach is under contract to does not have to grant permission.

That said, I don't think his contract is up, as it was said after the 2009 season that McNair was willing to give Kubiak a three year extension, but Kubiak only took two because that's when all of his assistant coaches contracts expired. That came from McClain, so take it FWIW.

Edit: Just read the link in the other thread, and it does look like his contract is expiring soon.

J_R
01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
McClain said his contract is up March 1.

4Texans
01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Ouch! I would hate to see him leave, and especially hate to see him go to Dallas.

edo783
01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
ANY change on the offensive side of the ball is counter productive IMO. Bruce didn't have a major position, but I would like to maintain status quo on the offense if possible. Just one less problem to address.

JB
01-17-2011, 10:37 PM
ANY change on the offensive side of the ball is counter productive IMO. Bruce didn't have a major position, but I would like to maintain status quo on the offense if possible. Just one less problem to address.

I think that just having a HOF'er around has got to be a benefit.

Mr. White
01-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Bruce's current position is "Offensive Assistant." I think that's pretty much the same thing as "quality control" which is one step up from "unpaid intern."

I don't blame him if he interviews with another team. I'm just glad it's not the Titans.

Texan_Bill
01-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6030974)

Wouldn't bother me. As long as he comes back someday with some more experience under his belt.

Coaching and playing are not the samething (although 20 years as a player is beneficial)!

OzzO
01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Bruce's current position is "Offensive Assistant." ....

What's an offensive assistant?

Bruce: I'll tell you what a ***** offensive assistant is. It's when the **** ****** offensive coach. whomever the **** that may be on this ***** ****** team doesn't know what the ***** he's ****** doing. I'll be the **** ****** assistant to tell that ***** to ****** get a ****** grip and show them ******players on the field how to make a *******first down when it's 3rd and ****** ******* two. I'll ***** assit the ****** and help them figure out what the ***** to do.

THAT'S a ***** ****** offensive assitant.

(too offensive?)