PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Herring to interview with Houston (LB Coach, Dallas)

Section516
01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Merge if necessary, I imagine Reggie Herring deal should be good as done..

IRVING, Texas -- Reggie Herring will interview with Houston after all, according to two sources.

The Cowboys initially denied permission to the Texans when they made the request but the meeting is expected to take place Tuesday. If Herring accepts a job with Houston he would be reunited with ex-Cowboys coach Wade Phillips, who was named the Texans coordinator earlier this month. It would also be his second tour with Houston. He was the Texans' linebackers coach from 2002-03 under Dom Capers.

The newly-granted permission for Herring to interview could also mean Rob Ryan, who will be the new defensive coordinator, according to a source, has a linebacker coach candidate in mind. The Cowboys also need a defensive line coach with Paul Pasqualoni leaving last week to become the head coach at the University of Connecticut.

Herring joined the Cowboys in 2008 after spending three seasons as the defensive coordinator at Arkansas. He had agreed to become Texas A&M’s coordinator before joining the Cowboys.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4677252/reggie-herring-will-interview-with-houston

El Tejano
01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
It would also be his second tour with Houston. He was the Texans' linebackers coach from 2002-03 under Dom Capers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4677252/reggie-herring-will-interview-with-houston

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! OH The Horror!!!!!!!

beerlover
01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! OH The Horror!!!!!!!

imagine where we would be today if instead of just releasing Capers/staff McNair would have kept him as DC along with his staff (include Herring & Vic Fangio)? I would take that Green Bay 3-4 defense led by Clay Matthews right now, thank you very much!

Mr teX
01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
They must know that he's most likely not going to be back with whomever they hire as the d-coordinator

GP
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
This Red Herring was a Texans linebackers coach back in 2002-2003?

:caperspalm: + :wadepalm: = :GPpalm:

Hervoyel
01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
This Red Herring was a Texans linebackers coach back in 2002-2003?

:caperspalm: + :wadepalm: = :GPpalm:

That's how the "On The Right Track Express" rolls around these parts.

J_R
01-17-2011, 05:16 PM
JB mentioned it in the NFL section(about Matthews) and pertaining to this thread, Texans to interview Herring, could lose Bruce Matthews to Dallas (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7385303.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter)

Hookem Horns
01-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Does everyone forget that possibly the Texans best ever defense was the inaugural season? Remember that Steelers game when the Texans beat the Steelers despite only having 40 yards of total offense?

Capers is a great DC.

TexanSam
01-17-2011, 05:29 PM
imagine where we would be today if instead of just releasing Capers/staff McNair would have kept him as DC along with his staff (include Herring & Vic Fangio)? I would take that Green Bay 3-4 defense led by Clay Matthews right now, thank you very much!

I doubt Capers would have accepted a demotion to DC after just being the head coach. He can go somewhere and be the coordinator but to do it with the same team, won't ever happen.

HOU-TEX
01-17-2011, 05:34 PM
After reading up a little bit, it appears he was the DC for NC State in 2004. One year spent with Mario....not that that means a damn thing. Just a fun fact, I reckon.

beerlover
01-17-2011, 05:49 PM
I doubt Capers would have accepted a demotion to DC after just being the head coach. He can go somewhere and be the coordinator but to do it with the same team, won't ever happen.

I think it could have been done behind closed doors. probably would have made him the highest paid defensive coordinator in the NFL but heck isn't that the case anyway with Wade Phillips?

ArlingtonTexan
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I will find/post link shortly, but Dallas radio is reporting the Bruce Matthews is interviewing in Dallas for an OL coaching position. If true reads like a "trade"

ArlingtonTexan
01-17-2011, 06:00 PM
I will find/post link shortly, but Dallas radio is reporting the Bruce Matthews is interviewing in Dallas for an OL coaching position. If true reads like a "trade"

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/011811dnspocowasstinterview_.c3277e4f.html

Ryan
01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
I hope its not true about losing Matthews. I don't want anything on our o-line to change too much.

thunderkyss
01-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Reads like Jerrah schooling old man McNair.

He doesn't want/need Herring. Rob is going to bring in his guy. Cowboys were probably going to dump him anyway.... but might as well get an opportunity to wine & dine Bruce Matthews.

Hopefully Bob has Matthews sold on doing something special in Houston with Kubiak & Wade.

drs23
01-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Reads like Jerrah schooling old man McNair.

He doesn't want/need Herring. Rob is going to bring in his guy. Cowboys were probably going to dump him anyway.... but might as well get an opportunity to wine & dine Bruce Matthews.

Hopefully Bob has Matthews sold on doing something special in Houston with Kubiak & Wade.

TK, are you serious? Hopefully and special at this point in time is not what I'm looking to hear.

Lucky
01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Capers is a great DC.
Unfortunately, Capers was the head coach here. And he did a horrible job of finding talent on defense. Worse, IMO, than what Kubiak and Smith have done.

What's so special about Matthews? He's basically a coaching intern. Lose him, and you find another. A great guy and HOF player. Nothing to lose sleep over if he moves on to another gig.

Doppelganger
01-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey Chronicle, could you possibly find a LESS flattering picture of the guy?

http://www.chron.com/photos/2003/11/19/24696908/260xStory.jpg

Guy looks like he is about to goose step.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Although I like Matthews, I don't exactly know how much he was involve in coaching as OL assistant. I don't know if Matthews would be a good OL coach or ready for OL coach. Does anyone know how much Matthews was involve as an assistant OL?

Go Texans!!!

thunderkyss
01-17-2011, 09:29 PM
What's so special about Matthews? He's basically a coaching intern. Lose him, and you find another. A great guy and HOF player. Nothing to lose sleep over if he moves on to another gig.

True..... personally, I just think it would look like he's abandoning ship....

IDEXAN
01-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey Chronicle, could you possibly find a LESS flattering picture of the guy?

http://www.chron.com/photos/2003/11/19/24696908/260xStory.jpg

Guy looks like he is about to goose step.
For cryin out loud, the guys an NFL LB coach, what did you expect him to look like, some little limp-wristed Abercrombie & Fitch model ?

Goatcheese
01-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Herring got a lot out of Journeymen LBs during his stay here. I'm somewhat excited to see what he can do with actual talent like Ryans, Cushing and Barwin.

infantrycak
01-18-2011, 11:56 AM

During the last Eric Winston show he was asked about Matthews' role. He started off with a bumbling, uh I am not really sure. He then did say he was good to have around to bounce ideas off of. Gave an example of some hand fighting trick he wanted to use and apparently Matthews told him he was going to get killed.

OzzO
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
imagine where we would be today if instead of just releasing Capers/staff McNair would have kept him as DC along with his staff (include Herring & Vic Fangio...

Uh huh, and I'm sure this board would've remained calm and peaceful after retaining a coach that just went 2-14.

I think it could have been done behind closed doors. probably would have made him the highest paid defensive coordinator in the NFL but heck isn't that the case anyway with Wade Phillips?

.... and even moreso accompaning once the word spread he was renegotiated for a well paid DC job.

IDEXAN
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Herring got a lot out of Journeymen LBs during his stay here. I'm somewhat excited to see what he can do with actual talent like Ryans, Cushing and Barwin.
And it's also comforting to know that this guy is truly a "3-4 LB coach", the linebackers being of course the unit or component of the defense which is the most distinctively different between the 3-4 & 4-3.

beerlover
01-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Texans w/Capers death nail in the coffin was 2004 draft when Casserly convinced Dom to take a rising CB prospect over the most dominant NT prospect, Vince Wilfork, in years. In fact Vince Wilfork was my personel pick the week prior to the draft (usually happens very last couple days). We'll see if history repeats itself, cause there is not that type of NT prospect in this draft which leaves many questions yet to be answered?

IDEXAN
01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Texans w/Capers death nail in the coffin was 2004 draft when Casserly convinced Dom to take a rising CB prospect over the most dominant NT prospect, Vince Wilfork, in years. In fact Vince Wilfork was my personel pick the week prior to the draft (usually happens very last couple days). We'll see if history repeats itself, cause there is not that type of NT prospect in this draft which leaves many questions yet to be answered?
It's interesting about Wilfork because I remember him well when he came out of "the U", and remember the tremendous prospect he was but also hearing a lot of guys warning about the risk in taking a "fat-guy" like Wilfork
who had a constant battle controlling his weight even way back then.
No matter, they were obviously wrong because here he is still in the league, now pushing 30 and still one of the best at the all-important NT positiion.

Lucky
01-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Regarding Matthews, Hudson Houck (the Cowboys O-line coach) was Bruce's O-line coach at USC. So there's a connection. Also, Houck may be close to retirement and looking to groom a replacement. Kubiak seems pleased with his current O-line coach, John Benton, and there's no room to move up in the Texans organization for Matthews.

J_R
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Herring hired. Matthews still here...for now (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7389686.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter)

b0ng
01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Herring hired. Matthews still here...for now (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7389686.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter)

I'm fine with this hire. The DB hire earlier didn't exactly thrill me but I don't mind this one as much.

El Tejano
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
I can't wait til Herring is our replacement HC for Kubiak.

J_R
01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I can't wait til Herring is our replacement HC for Kubiak.

You mean DC after Phillips is promoted to HC. ;) Maybe HC after that.

J_R
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
“I just got off the phone with Coach Phillips,” said Herring. “He’s extremely excited.

“We’re ready to go work. We know the job at hand. We know what’s in front of us, but well get it done.”

Herring’s relationship with Phillips is one reason why he chose to join the Texans. The other is his respect for Kubiak and the work he has done with the Houston offense.

“We got to get a couple of pieces on defense,” Herring said. “If we can do our end, what we're supposed to do on defense and help that great offense they got, the sky is the limit."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/110120-texans-hire-linebackers-coach-reggie-herring

JWarren14
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Can't remember, have we EVER had a defense in the top 10?

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if we had a respectable defense. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this work out! Not even a top 10, I would be OK with 15-20.

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Can't remember, have we EVER had a defense in the top 10?

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if we had a respectable defense. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this work out! Not even a top 10, I would be OK with 15-20.

No.

Just judging Points and Yards, our best finishes were 15th in points in 2004 and 13th in yards in 2009.

If this team had a decent defense... AND EVERYTHING ELSE STAYED WHERE IT'S AT (or hopefully improved a bit)... we'd be scary.

honored82
01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
So....the Texas 'good ol boy' network continues?

Bob McNair: "We've sucked for our first NINE years! What do we do now, Gary?!?"

Gary Kubiak: "Well, we've already hired all of my friends from Denver...let's just hire some retreads and friends of Wade's now."

Bob McNair: "Fine, Gary...fine. As long as the idiots in Houston keep showing up for games, everything is fine. Let's make sure we don't spend any money in free agency, though. I want NO PART of Nnamdi Asomugha or Champ Bailey."

Gary Kubiak: "Don't worry, Bob. I drafted Kareem Jackson over rookie pro-bowler Devin McCourty for a reason. He's going to develop into one heck of a player. Superbowl, here we come!"

Bob McNair: "Superbowl, eh? Do we have to pay for that?"

Gary Kubiak: "No sir, I'm quite sure you'll make more money if we ever make the playoffs."

Bob McNair: "Hmmmm...a novel idea, to be sure. Let's just focus on not spending money and blowing drafts. Keep up the excellent work you've been doing for the past five years. Smart men like me know that there's more to football then just wins and losses."

Gary Kubiak: "I thank my lucky stars every night for that, sir."

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Just a point but Mike Singletary was hired as the assistant HC/Linebackers coach by the Vikings.

Why? Why did Singletary go to the Vikings? Because one of his best friends is the new HC.

I know a lot of people hate the idea of coaches hiring people they know but it happens everywhere. Might as well be pissed off at the sky for being blue.

Thorn
01-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Might as well be pissed off at the sky for being blue.

It's BLUE? Dammit, that pisses me off!

drs23
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Not always. Mine's really grey with white streaks emanating. It's really cool!

Go Texans!

Lucky
01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I know a lot of people hate the idea of coaches hiring people they know but it happens everywhere. Might as well be pissed off at the sky for being blue.
Maybe people are just pissed off that Gary Kubiak knows so many coaches that suck? Why can't we have a coach that is buddies with good coaches?

JB
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Maybe people are just pissed off that Gary Kubiak knows so many coaches that suck? Why can't we have a coach that is buddies with good coaches?

Is that like asking why you don't have a friend with a sister that has hot friends?

Pollardized
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM

Thorn's pissed???? That pisses me off!!!!

GP
01-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Just a point but Mike Singletary was hired as the assistant HC/Linebackers coach by the Vikings.

Why? Why did Singletary go to the Vikings? Because one of his best friends is the new HC.

Nobody is saying otherwise. Friends are "comfy" hiring friends.

Lucky stated it well: Gary's buddies suck. Period. Actually, it might just be the Gary makes them end up being sucky once they get here. Sherman went to A&M and I had ZERO confidence he would turn that team around. Oops.

Kyle Shanahan was, possibly, the best Kubiak buddy that's been brought here.

You keep trying to frame the conversation here, TPN. Nobody says you can't hire buddies. It's when your buddies suck that it becomes a problem. Just because you hire someone you like, doesn't mean it ends well. I'd like to see the franchise do a little more due diligence and take a risk, rather than co-signing on buddies of buddies.

In the end, everyone just wants to win. Afraid that you hired a great coach but don't like him personally? Tough crap. If he helps your team win the SB then you're going to be new best friends pretty quickly.

Too much comfy, cozy, familiarity going on. If it isn't working, you try a different approach (instead of merely doing the same thing differently).

thunderkyss
01-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Lucky stated it well: Gary's buddies suck. Period.

You keep trying to frame the conversation here, TPN. Nobody says you can't hire buddies. It's when your buddies suck that it becomes a problem. Just because you hire someone you like, doesn't mean it ends well. I'd like to see the franchise do a little more due diligence and take a risk, rather than co-signing on buddies of buddies.

Too much comfy, cozy, familiarity going on. If it isn't working, you try a different approach (instead of merely doing the same thing differently).

First you're saying it's okay to hire buddies.

Then you said they need to do more due dilegence.

Which is it?

TPN brought up Frazier hiring Singletary specifically as a "buddy" hire. That is in direct contrast to your argument. You make it sound as though Gary is the only HC in the league that has a preference for hiring his buddy, when the fact is that is the norm.

Then we talk about all his buddies not being very good. Last year, most people on this board were saying how they were wrong about Frank Bush. One year later, & "they knew it!!"

Which goes back to my point. It's easy to sit here on the internet & gather all our ideas that would have worked better, & forget about all the ideas that weren't so hot. We look like geniuses, because our ideas never get tested. All we really know, is that McNair's ideas didn't work.

houstonspartan
01-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Lucky stated it well: Gary's buddies suck. Period. Actually, it might just be the Gary makes them end up being sucky once they get here. Sherman went to A&M and I had ZERO confidence he would turn that team around. Oops.

Kyle Shanahan was, possibly, the best Kubiak buddy that's been brought here.

In the end, everyone just wants to win. Afraid that you hired a great coach but don't like him personally? Tough crap. If he helps your team win the SB then you're going to be new best friends pretty quickly.

Yep. Nothing wrong with hiring buddies. But you have to have the stones to pull the plug on your buddies.

Pete Carroll brought his buddy to Seattle a year ago to run the offense. The team made the playoffs, yet he fired his good buddy after one year because he wasn't satisfied.

Just saying.

Insideop
01-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Which is it?

TPN brought up Frazier hiring Singletary specifically as a "buddy" hire. That is in direct contrast to your argument. You make it sound as though Gary is the only HC in the league that has a preference for hiring his buddy, when the fact is that is the norm.

Then we talk about all his buddies not being very good. Last year, most people on this board were saying how they were wrong about Frank Bush. One year later, & "they knew it!!"

Which goes back to my point. It's easy to sit here on the internet & gather all our ideas that would have worked better, & forget about all the ideas that weren't so hot. We look like geniuses, because our ideas never get tested. All we really know, is that McNair's ideas didn't work.

Amen brother!

Rep coming your way. :bravo:

GP
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM

Which is it?

No I don't. No contrasting statements here, TK.

I have openly said that buddies hire buddies. It's when your buddy system isn't working that you better switch gears. This keeps getting ignored, and it's getting old.

I don't think Kubiak would have switched gears. McNair made him, or Rick Smith influenced the decision (possibly). But Kubiak is loyal to a fault.

I agree, though, that we all have ideas on here that don't work. Then again, we're not making millions of dollars to do this...or we might be a little more invested and work harder and have fewer bad ideas. Who knows.