PDA

View Full Version : Eagles fire DC Sean McDermott

Mr. White
01-15-2011, 04:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6025347

Less than a week after Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said that defensive coordinator Sean McDermott would return in 2011, the Eagles have fired McDermott, according to sources.

McDermott, 36, came under heavy criticism in a season in which the Eagles allowed a franchise-high 31 touchdown passes and had the worst red-zone defense in the NFL. However, Reid said in a season-ending news conference that McDermott would be retained as defensive coordinator.

Within three days after that declaration, sources say Reid informed McDermott that he had changed his mind and would relieve McDermott of his duties after two years as the team's defensive coordinator.

McDermot replaced the legendary Jim Johnson, who died of cancer in 2009. He adapted Johnson's aggressive style of defense but in 2010, McDermott was forced to adjust because of a injuries to key veterans, which forced many young players onto the field. The Eagles allowed at least 24 points in 11 games this season.

The Eagles have not made a public announcement regarding McDerrmott's departure in hopes of allowing him to find another job.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported in October that McDermott's authority as defensive coordinator was in jeopardy.

FirstTexansFan
01-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Damnit! Rick Rolled!!!

Mr. White
01-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Damnit! Rick Rolled!!!

No, it's true. He really did get fired. :)

FirstTexansFan
01-15-2011, 04:54 PM
No, it's true. He really did get fired. :)

There's a special place in hades for you Mr. White! +1 rep for getting me... low life :)

JB
01-15-2011, 05:13 PM
There's a special place in hades for you Mr. White! +1 rep for getting me... low life :)

You clicked the wrong link. First time he got me, it destroyed my computer...

Well, I did have to do a recovery!

Doppelganger
01-15-2011, 05:14 PM

In one season he went from a person a bunch of people saw as a potential HC to fired.

He will land as a DC elsewhere. Probably in a 3-4. My early prediction: Denver as Fox transitions the Broncos from a 3-4 back to a 4-3.

I'd offer him a LB job though in Htown!:)

Lucky
01-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Is Andy Reid the NFL King of Flip-Floppers, or what? Me thinks he has a career in politics.

Mr. White
01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
You clicked the wrong link. First time he got me, it destroyed my computer...

Well, I did have to do a recovery!

It used to be a lot worse than it is now, but I had no idea it was that bad.

Hagar
01-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Basically, if Andy Ried says something these days, he means the opposite.

Kobb is our starting QB; a few days later, Vick is the starter.
McDermott is our 2011 DC; a few days later, he's fired.

Basically, those aren't man boobs on Andy, they're real tits.

JB
01-15-2011, 05:25 PM
It used to be a lot worse than it is now, but I had no idea it was that bad.

Well, it was on the work computer... and that one runs Vista :kubepalm:

Mr. White
01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I guess injuries and turnover took their toll on the Eagles D.

They've been one of those teams that cuts bait on players while they still have some gas in the tank. I guess that bites you in the ass sometimes.

I can't believe McDermott got fired though. It's a pretty odd time to do it. Seems like if you're going to fire a guy, the time to do it would be right when the season's over.

Mr. White
01-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Eagles Send Sean McDermott Packing (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/15/eagles-send-sean-mcdermott-packing/)

Two years ago, Eagles defensive backs coach Sean McDermott was promoted to the position of defensive coordinator, due to the serious health issues of Jim Johnson, who later would succumb to cancer.

Less than a week after the Eaglesí season ended in the playoffs, McDermott has been fired, according to ESPNís Chris Mortensen.

Hints of trouble for McDermott came when coach Andy Reid became more involved in the defense. In late October, ESPNís Sal Paolantonio said that McDermott could soon be out.

ďThere is no question about that,Ē Paolantonio said. ďI donít know how much input Dick Jauron has in the defensive game plan, Iím sure he has quite a bit, but eventually they may have to make a switch there.Ē

Some criticized Paolantonio for suggesting that Reid would fire McDermott. (We suggest that Paolantonio not hold his breath in anticipation of any apologies.)

The move comes at a time when Eagles assistant Dick Jauron is drawing interest in Cleveland. Reid possibly realizes that the time has come to bump Jauron up. To do so, Reid first had to bump McDermott out.

FirstTexansFan
01-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Does McDermott do Linebackers? If so, good choice imo :)

JB
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM

Nah, he was an outstanding secondary coach... :wadepalm:

TexanSam
01-15-2011, 07:07 PM

He was linebackers coach for one year (2007)

thunderkyss
01-15-2011, 09:13 PM

After Reid named Kobb the starter, then Vick, then Kobb, then Vick again.......... all in a matter of days......... I wouldn't feel safe with a nod from Reid.

HOU-TEX
02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Eagles request permission to interview Jon Hoke.

The Eagles have requested permission to interview Bears DBs coach Jon Hoke for their defensive coordinator position.

He's competing with Packers safeties coach Darren Perry, among perhaps others. Unlike Perry -- whose team is still playing -- Hoke can be immediately interviewed. It remains to be seen whether the Bears grant that permission

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

thunderkyss
02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Eagles request permission to interview Jon Hoke.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Why would the Eagles want Hoke? What's the connection?