PDA

View Full Version : why are we switching to a 3-4?

texanchris
01-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I dont understand why we will be switching to a 3-4. like someone posted in another thread, the secondary is the same in the 4-3 and 3-4 defense. Now we need to add a nose tackle, outside linebacker, and maybe even a Devensive end to our many needs this offseason. It seems like a horrible time to make a transition from 4-3 to 3-4 because of the lockout and will probably give Kubiak an excuse for if we dont make the playoffs next season. The players were drafted for a 4-3 and it sucks that some of them might not find a spot in the 3-4 defense. I trust Wade Phillips and i think he knows what hes talking about but i think he said some of the stuff to please Mcnair and may not even believe it himself.

Pantherstang84
01-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I dont understand why we will be switching to a 3-4. like someone posted in another thread, the secondary is the same in the 4-3 and 3-4 defense. Now we need to add a nose tackle, outside linebacker, and maybe even a Devensive end to our many needs this offseason. It seems like a horrible time to make a transition from 4-3 to 3-4 because of the lockout and will probably give Kubiak an excuse for if we dont make the playoffs next season. The players were drafted for a 4-3 and it sucks that some of them might not find a spot in the 3-4 defense. I trust Wade Phillips and i think he knows what hes talking about but i think he said some of the stuff to please Mcnair and may not even believe it himself.

Did you really expect Wade to come out on his first day on the job and say they need massive changes in defensive player personnel?

There will be some changes, but not massive wholesale player swap outs and I don't expect him to know who will stay or who will go yet.

Hagar
01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Because.

Now shut up and buy a jersey.

BSofA04
01-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Because we couldn't play a 4-3.

houstonspartan
because.

lmao!

Texan_Bill

:gun: Really???? I'm not sure what a Devensive end is, but we have devensive ends.... We need two players: A) a big fat assed nose tackle and b) an outside guy (i.e. Von Miller).. Also, I would like to add a secondary guy or two, but I would feel that way no matter what D was run...

I laugh my ass off at people that say we don't have the personnel to run a 3-4... Well it's disgustingly obvious that we don't have the personnel for a 4-3 defense, either!!!

Signed,
30th ranked overall devense!

Dutchrudder
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Because we can't play the 4-3?

Ryan
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Because our 4-3 was so devastatingly good that the NFL forced us to switch?

Craig.
01-10-2011, 09:13 PM
because we can't play the 4-3?

thisthisthisthisthisthis

Honoring Earl 34
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
:gun: Really???? I'm not sure what a Devensive end is, but we have devensive ends.... We need two players: A) a big fat assed nose tackle and b) an outside guy (i.e. Von Miller).. Also, I would like to add a secondary guy or two, but I would feel that way no matter what D was run...

I laugh my ass off at people that say we don't have the personnel to run a 3-4... Well it's disgustingly obvious that we don't have the personnel for a 4-3 defense, either!!!

Signed,
30th ranked overall devense!

An extra LB has a better chance to run them down from behind than an extra DL . :truck:

VTexan
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
WHY CHANGE OUR 30TH RANKED DEFENSE? ITS SO GOOD

Sincerely,

Mark Sanchez

Hervoyel
01-10-2011, 09:17 PM
The Texans are switching to the 3-4 because that's what you do when you're on the right track.

There see, makes perfect sense.

Honoring Earl 34
01-10-2011, 09:18 PM
The Texans are switching to the 3-4 because that's what you do when you're on the right track.

There see, makes perfect sense to me.

We're gonna trade for Curly Culp .

JB
01-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Wade answered that the best...

In 4-3 you have more D-linemen. I dont think we have enough to play a 4-3 and good players but enough for 3-4 group we're we can have solid players.

Doppelganger
01-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Signed,
One of the worst devense of all time!

Fixed it for you!

Texan_Bill
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
WHY CHANGE OUR 30TH RANKED DEFENSE? ITS SO GOOD

Sincerely,

Mark Sanchez

Co-Signed every Quarterback, not named Rusty Smith!

Texan_Bill
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Fixed it for you!

:heh:

TheIronDuke
01-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Because we're on the right track, just need a new defense.

The1ApplePie
01-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Because Amobi Okoye is a bust

Dutchrudder
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Obviously the Texans suck at drafting d-linemen, but they are pretty good at finding linebackers. So why not reduce the number of starters in our position of weakness and add am extra LB? Makes sense to me.

Joe Texan
01-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Need a tissue............................Crybaby

Playoffs
01-10-2011, 10:38 PM
why are we switching to a 3-4?

Peyton 19 v. Chiefs, 14 v. Chargers, 16 v. Jets

thunderkyss
01-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Because Amobi Okoye is a bust

The only reason we should not want to switch to a 3-4, is Mario Williams. He's our best defensive lineman, the guy we've been "building around" for the last 5 seasons, & we're not really getting anywhere with that.

Wade says Mario will be put in positions to succeed. We'll see.

The only reason we should switch to a 3-4, is that hired Wade Phillips. He may have been the best defensive guy available this off season. The 3-4 is what he do.

thunderkyss
01-11-2011, 06:47 AM
I was checking my DVR last night, & found a bunch of games, with 3-4 teams. A couple of the Dallas games with Wade Smith running the show. One of the games is Dallas vs Packers. I'll be watching it, to see if I can discern any difference between what Dom runs in GB & what Wade ran in Dallas.

Then I've got Jets/Packers, which if I remember right was a defensive game. Then Steelers/Jets, I don't think I've watched that at all yet... several others.

LikeMike
01-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Because we suck at picking linemen and are pretty good at drafting LBs - and in a 3-4 you need more LBs than linemen.

In all seriousness: the major reason for switching is Wade Phillips, who has always run a 3-4 and has been successfull doing it. And one of our biggest problems since the beginning has been pressuring the QB - usually a 3-4 defense is better suited for that.

We don`t really have to change that much personell. In a 4-3 we`d need one or two DTs and one or two secondary players. In a 3-4 we need one NT, one or two LBs and one or two secondary players. Another DE would help in both packages.

Im all for the change - majorly because it brings some excitement, hope and curiousity to the offseason. I`m really excited to see, who ends up at which position, who we draft, and how it will all look like on the field. And seriously: our D can`t get any worse!

BigBull17
01-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Well, since a bunch of teams switched to one over the last two years, and some of the 3-4 teams are getting new coaches, this could be a great time to switch to one. Also, as someone else said, we don't have 4-3 personnel either...

HJam72
01-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Because we couldn't play a 4-3.

See, there ya go. :)

Thorn
01-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Re: why are we switching to a 3-4?

Because Wade's the new DC and he wants to switch.

HOU-TEX
01-11-2011, 09:40 AM
3-4? 4-3? Pfft! We oughta run a 11-0. Instead of our DB's running around in circles or falling down, maybe they help put pressure on the QB by falling at the feet of the olinemen. That'd allow our LB's to run free to the QB.

Dadgum! Should've been a DC

Mr. White
01-11-2011, 09:43 AM
3-4? 4-3? Pfft! We oughta run a 11-0. Instead of our DB's running around in circles or falling down, maybe they help put pressure on the QB by falling at the feet of the olinemen. That'd allow our LB's to run free to the QB.

Dadgum! Should've been a DC

I think we should have run an 0-11 last year. We would have been much better in coverage.

HOU-TEX
01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I think we should have run an 0-11 last year. We would have been much better in coverage.

Good point. Although, knowing our defense last season, they'd end up in a huge pile of humanity in the middle of the field

kiwitexansfan
01-11-2011, 10:43 AM
:gun: Really???? I'm not sure what a Devensive end is, but we have devensive ends.... We need two players: A) a big fat assed nose tackle

Ummmm, no we don't.

Phillips doesn't run a two gap 3-4.

For years people have been banging on about needing a big fat DT.... I'm starting to think if some people have a taste for large men.. if so here's a little something for ya....

http://s1.postimage.org/quwmm7b9g/fat_men.jpg

HoustonFrog
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
I can see OPs point despite the sarcastic remarks here. Many people said the D played its best when Cushing was juiced last year and the D backs played decent. They moved up considerably. So the DBs sucked this year and Cushing was less than himself. Stands to reason that you coach up/improve the secondary by FA or draft and get decent play up front and you are middle of the pack. BUT I KNOW you can just EASILY switch to the 3-4 with our players. Wade said so and guys like Mario took to the 4-3 so fast when learning it...don't you remember how it just clicked for him :kubepalm:

C Madd
01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Ummmm, no we don't.

For years people have been banging on about needing a big fat DT.... I'm starting to think if some people have a taste for large men.. if so here's a little something for ya....

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_left5jMLUR1qf8yek.gif

DerekLee1
01-11-2011, 11:30 AM
The only reason we should not want to switch to a 3-4, is Mario Williams. He's our best defensive lineman, the guy we've been "building around" for the last 5 seasons, & we're not really getting anywhere with that.

Wade says Mario will be put in positions to succeed. We'll see.

The only reason we should switch to a 3-4, is that hired Wade Phillips. He may have been the best defensive guy available this off season. The 3-4 is what he do.

Wade did pretty well with Reggie White and Bruce Smith. I can't see him putting Mario in a position of fail.

DerekLee1
01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
I was checking my DVR last night, & found a bunch of games, with 3-4 teams. A couple of the Dallas games with Wade Smith running the show. One of the games is Dallas vs Packers. I'll be watching it, to see if I can discern any difference between what Dom runs in GB & what Wade ran in Dallas.

Then I've got Jets/Packers, which if I remember right was a defensive game. Then Steelers/Jets, I don't think I've watched that at all yet... several others.

Would love to hear your report back on that.

BigBull17
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Ummmm, no we don't.

Where did you get the pictures of John McClain in different outfits?

HoustonFrog
01-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Ummmm, no we don't.

Wade at Buffalo-Ted Washington 6'5 350

Wade at San Diego-Jamal Williams 6'3 348

His stint in Dallas with an undersized Ratliff was the exception and he was a guy with some arm length that could get in the backfield but he wasn't a guy who held off blockers.

Dishman
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Because we can't play the 4-3?

Really, though?? I just don't buy into this whatsoever. We might have had a **** 4-3 defense this year, but our personnel did not change that drastically from 2009 when we had a somewhat respectable 4-3 defense.

For me, the jury is still out on, well, everything/everyone until proven otherwise.

scourge
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I dont understand why we will be switching to a 3-4.

Because Wade said so... that's pretty much it.

dalemurphy
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Wade at Buffalo-Ted Washington 6'5 350

Wade at San Diego-Jamal Williams 6'3 348

His stint in Dallas with an undersized Ratliff was the exception and he was a guy with some arm length that could get in the backfield but he wasn't a guy who held off blockers.

Here's the real exception:

Greg Kragen (denver) NT 1986-1993 6'3" 263lbs.

Lucky
01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Here's the real exception:

Greg Kragen (denver) NT 1986-1993 6'3" 263lbs.
dale, that was a different era where the 300 lb DL was a rarity (The Fridge) and 260 lb NTs (Jim Burt, Bob Golic, Tim Krumrie, Joe Klecko, Kragen) were not uncommon.

JB
01-11-2011, 06:42 PM
dale, that was a different era where the 300 lb DL was a rarity (The Fridge) and 260 lb NTs (Jim Burt, Bob Golic, Tim Krumrie, Joe Klecko, Kragen) were not uncommon.

Yep! 6'3" 263lbs is now (overtrained) LB size...:kitten:

texanchris
01-11-2011, 07:23 PM
sorry if it seems like it was a stupid question but it just seems like so many things could go wrong due to the lockout and this year may not be the best of times to make that transition. Hopefully it all works out and we finally make the playoffs next year.

dalemurphy
01-11-2011, 08:45 PM

1993 wasn't that long ago. If he could work with a 260 lb NT in the '90s, I think he can work with a 290-300lb NT today. Especially since he says he can.

In 2002 and 2003 in Atlanta, the starting NT under Wade was Ed Jasper, whose listed weight was 292 lbs.

PHAROAH
01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
hell why not our version of the 4-3 is aweful enough said make the switch.

BSofA04
01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Say we draft Von Miller and sign Aubrayo Franklin in FA. This could be our starting front 7...
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/bsofa04/3-4_new.jpg

TexCanada
01-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Say we draft Von Miller and sign Aubrayo Franklin in FA. This could be our starting front 7...

That is a very nice looking front 7. We would still needs some upgrades in our secondary, but this would sure take the pressure off of them. If we could add in a decent CB and FS we would be set. It might be hard to achieve all this through one off-season though.

thunderkyss
01-12-2011, 07:08 AM

What do you think of putting Mark Anderson at the WOLB spot, instead of Von Miller?

Is he not athletic enough to play OLB?

I would think he & Barwin would be our OLBs...... maybe even Sharpton, because he needs to be on the field more as well. We've got options.

thunderkyss
01-12-2011, 07:41 AM
More Talk from Wade (http://kilt.cbslocal.com/2011/01/11/texans-new-dc-wade-phillips-joins-the-odd-couple/).

dalemurphy
01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
More Talk from Wade (http://kilt.cbslocal.com/2011/01/11/texans-new-dc-wade-phillips-joins-the-odd-couple/).

Thanks, TK. good information.

For those who can't/don't want to listen. Here's some interesting stuff:

1. Wade would like to move Glover Quin to FS. He liked him as a FS coming out of college, complimented his work in the slot this year, and called him "competitive" at CB.

2. Also likes Shaun Cody. Cody will clearly be involved in the NT rotation, from the way it sounded.

3. Relatively unimpressed with Mario Williams. He doesn't say that but he refuses to compare him to Reggie White, Bruce Smith, or Elvin Bethea... He said that he expects Mario to getter better and better... and, it sounds to me that he doubts Mario's work ethic/desire by the way/tone he answers those questions.

4. Every time he compliments the effort of the defensive players, he is also taking a subtle jab at how poor the coaching/scheming has been.

5. Mentioned the Denver game and Daryl Sharpton without prompting. I'm guessing some things really stood out to him in that game.... One of them being Sharpton, I think.

HOU-TEX
01-12-2011, 10:18 AM

1. Wade would like to move Glover Quin to FS. He liked him as a FS coming out of college, complimented his work in the slot this year, and called him "competitive" at CB.

2. Also likes Shaun Cody. Cody will clearly be involved in the NT rotation, from the way it sounded.

3. Relatively unimpressed with Mario Williams. He doesn't say that but he refuses to compare him to Reggie White, Bruce Smith, or Elvin Bethea... He said that he expects Mario to getter better and better... and, it sounds to me that he doubts Mario's work ethic/desire by the way/tone he answers those questions.

4. Every time he compliments the effort of the defensive players, he is also taking a subtle jab at how poor the coaching/scheming has been.

5. Mentioned the Denver game and Daryl Sharpton without prompting. I'm guessing some things really stood out to him in that game.... One of them being Sharpton, I think.

1. He did not say he wanted to move him to FS. Barry mentioned Wade saying he liked Quin at FS coming out of College. He said he could teach him a few things to make him a better CB, but will wait til they hit the field before determining his position.

2. He did say he liked Cody's motor

3. Other than not wanting to compare Mario with HOFers, not one thing you mention here is correct. And honestly, other than knowing your history concerning Mario, I can't see how a normal person could come to such a conclusion.

4. He did compliment the players for effort, but he also gave coaches credit for getting them to play like that. He never really took a jab at scheme, but then again, does he really need to? He's here, they aren't.

5. He admired the way Sharpton played through a shoulder injury in the Denver game. Didn't mention performance.

Way to listen between the lines, murphster. Ha

JB
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM

I'm not sure you heard the same podcast I did. If so, you got something totally different out of it than I did. He doesn't compare Mario to hof'ers because Mario is still young. He applauded his game and his effort.

He was directly asked about moving Quinn to FS and said no, it's too early to say that. He thought he could teach Quinn some stuff and that he good be a very good corner.

edit: Hou-Tex beat me to it.

infantrycak
01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
1. He did not say he wanted to move him to FS. Barry mentioned Wade saying he liked Quin at FS coming out of College. He said he could teach him a few things to make him a better CB, but will wait til they hit the field before determining his position.

2. He did say he liked Cody's motor

3. Other than not wanting to compare Mario with HOFers, not one thing you mention here is correct. And honestly, other than knowing your history concerning Mario, I can't see how a normal person could come to such a conclusion.

4. He did compliment the players for effort, but he also gave coaches credit for getting them to play like that. He never really took a jab at scheme, but then again, does he really need to? He's here, they aren't.

5. He admired the way Sharpton played through a shoulder injury in the Denver game. Didn't mention performance.

Way to listen between the lines, murphster. Ha

What he said. Sheesh the quoted translation wasn't even close.

Ndevine7

what are your thoughts about occasionally having cushing at olb. I could see him being a lesser clay

BigBull17
Why does nobody like Quinn at FS? He would be very good at that position. His major flaw is lacking speed. That's hard to coach.

BSofA04
01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
What do you think of putting Mark Anderson at the WOLB spot, instead of Von Miller?

Is he not athletic enough to play OLB?

I would think he & Barwin would be our OLBs...... maybe even Sharpton, because he needs to be on the field more as well. We've got options.
Mark and Jesse Nading (who also have been mentioned at switching to OLB) would be a good possibility but I have no idea how they'll adjust to standing up and occasionally covering a TE/flats/etc. Conventional wisdom says that converted DE's can't handle they hybrid LB position but you never know!

Assuming Wade thinks they'll be able to handle this, then we probably draft another position of concern (NT, secondary). The picture is my ideal situation because you know the strengths and weakness of Von Miller playing OLB. I think A&M has him listed as a "Joker" for his position but after watching him in the Cotton Bowl, there's no reason to think his skills won't translate to OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

BSofA04
01-12-2011, 11:29 AM
what are your thoughts about occasionally having cushing at olb. I could see him being a lesser clay

Personally, I see him as a beast of a tackler BUT...in 2010 he was poor at changing his direction when in pursuit of the football. In other words, his play in space regressed from 2009. IMO, unless he unleashes the Brian Cushing of 2009, he'll be better off making the majority of the tackles at the Mike position with DeMeco helping him at the Mo. He worked well beside DeMeco and could benefit from having the QB of the defense to lead him. He'll still make sacks at the Mike, just not 12-14 sacks like Clay Matthews who is sensational at OLB.

infantrycak
01-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Conventional wisdom says that converted DE's can't handle they hybrid LB position but you never know!

Many if not most 3-4 OLB's are converted college DE's.

Ndevine7
01-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Personally, I see him as a beast of a tackler BUT...in 2010 he was poor at changing his direction when in pursuit of the football. In other words, his play in space regressed from 2009. IMO, unless he unleashes the Brian Cushing of 2009, he'll be better off making the majority of the tackles at the Mike position with DeMeco helping him at the Mo. He worked well beside DeMeco and could benefit from having the QB of the defense to lead him. He'll still make sacks at the Mike, just not 12-14 sacks like Clay Matthews who is sensational at OLB.

I think alot of the defense regressed after DeMeco went down. Cush is a freak athlete and i think that he could be a lesser clay or wade could make him into a ware type player. This is if we dont get a olb in the draft because IMO drafting von miller would make this convo irrelvent because barwin and him could hold down the olb while cush and ryans hold down the middle

BSofA04
01-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Many if not most 3-4 OLB's are converted college DE's.

Which is the reality. Elvis Dumervil and DeMarcus Ware comes to mind, but when I think of typical 3-4 OLB I think Clay Matthews, James Harrison, Suggs, etc. It all depends on if the coaching staff think Nading and Anderson can play at a high level and not become a liability. Von Miller is just my preference.

BSofA04
01-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I think alot of the defense regressed after DeMeco went down. Cush is a freak athlete and i think that he could be a lesser clay or wade could make him into a ware type player. This is if we dont get a olb in the draft because IMO drafting von miller would make this convo irrelvent because barwin and him could hold down the olb while cush and ryans hold down the middle

If we don't draft an OLB in the draft in the earlier rounds, we still might see Cushing in the middle with Anderson/Nading at the other OLB. But if what you think about Wade making Cushing a beast on the outside comes true, I would love to see that happen! Right now, I don't see it.

infantrycak
01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Which is the reality. Elvis Dumervil and DeMarcus Ware comes to mind, but when I think of typical 3-4 OLB I think Clay Matthews, James Harrison, Suggs, etc. It all depends on if the coaching staff think Nading and Anderson can play at a high level and not become a liability. Von Miller is just my preference.

Harrison and Suggs played DE in college. Conner Barwin is the classic you are looking for. Not arguing against Von Miller at all.

Ndevine7
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Harrison and Suggs played DE in college. Conner Barwin is the classic you are looking for. Not arguing against Von Miller at all.

Barwin and miller manning the outside could be a great duo that could result in a lot of sacks in years to come

JB
01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Barwin and miller manning the outside could be a great duo that could result in a lot of sacks in years to come

I would rather see Barwin & Cushing on the outside, and get some one to pair with Ryans (or replace him in the middle if he doesn't come back to his previous form).

Ndevine7
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I would rather see Barwin & Cushing on the outside, and get some one to pair with Ryans (or replace him in the middle if he doesn't come back to his previous form).

there isnt a top notch ilb in the draft this year and there isnt a nt worthy of being drafted at the 11th spot. who are you going to go with in the first round?

JB
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
there isnt a top notch ilb in the draft this year and there isnt a nt worthy of being drafted at the 11th spot. who are you going to go with in the first round?

I dont know. It's still early. Right now I would think maybe Paea or Fairley or Dareus or Quinn or Amukamura may be there. All depends on who is there and if we have had a FA period to sign some help.

Ndevine7
01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I dont know. It's still early. Right now I would think maybe Paea or Fairley or Dareus or Quinn or Amukamura may be there. All depends on who is there and if we have had a FA period to sign some help.

i would love to get amukamura but he is too good of a prospect and if he falls dallas cant pass up on him. Fairley is unbeliveable and is a top 3 pick and possibly the number one pick overall. Paea stock has fallen alot and is a mid to end first round pick(could trade down to get him). Dareus and Quinn are possiblities as well as Miller. Dareus is a hybrid de/dt and i dont know how effective he will be in the 3-4(Cleveland also has a need and he could be taken before us). Quinn and Miller are both olb/de hybrids that will be perfect for the 3-4 scheme but imo quinn will be drafted earlier then we pick leaving Von Miller as our choice.

JB
01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Point is that it's way to early to tell what the rankings should be and who may be there. The Texans always seem to select somone that is not the favored mock pick for them.

With a new defensive staff coming in, they have to evaluate and find out who they have and where they will play. I just don't think we should move Cushing to the inside because Miller may be there when we pick. I saw one mock where Miller went #5 and Fairley fell to us.

The Pencil Neck
01-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Point is that it's way to early to tell what the rankings should be and who may be there. The Texans always seem to select somone that is not the favored mock pick for them.

With a new defensive staff coming in, they have to evaluate and find out who they have and where they will play. I just don't think we should move Cushing to the inside because Miller may be there when we pick. I saw one mock where Miller went #5 and Fairley fell to us.

The thing is: Wade is all about modifying his defense based on the skills and abilities of the players in his defense.

I think how guys get shuffled is going to depend on who we get in FA and who we end up drafting.

I have a feeling this year that our draft may be more BPA than Needs Based.

For years, we've drafted for defense hoping that the talent of the players would offset the questionable coaching while Kubiak's offense has usually taken a backseat because of the belief that Kubiak could make something out of less talented players. Wade could give us that same sort of confidence in our defense.

I would not be surprised if we took a WR if the right FS, CB, NT, or OLB were not available.

JB
01-12-2011, 02:02 PM
The thing is: Wade is all about modifying his defense based on the skills and abilities of the players in his defense.

I think how guys get shuffled is going to depend on who we get in FA and who we end up drafting.

I have a feeling this year that our draft may be more BPA than Needs Based.

For years, we've drafted for defense hoping that the talent of the players would offset the questionable coaching while Kubiak's offense has usually taken a backseat because of the belief that Kubiak could make something out of less talented players. Wade could give us that same sort of confidence in our defense.

I would not be surprised if we took a WR if the right FS, CB, NT, or OLB were not available.

That's what I was trying to say, but you nailed it! Thanks!

edit: Or a TE... :kitten:

beerlover
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM

have you reached a satisfactory answer to your question after four pages of response?

Here is my :twocents:

Texans needed immediate results by hiring a proven experienced defensive coordinator, this extends to the war room & free agency. It's a great opportunity for both Wade & the Texans. From comments in his presser to understanding his background Wade has an excellent track record of putting players in positions to succeed, he will maximize players potential. The Texans will continue with most of the same players, hence they will be a smaller, quicker front seven than most traditional 3-4's. emphasis will be on speed & abiltiy to react quicker, call it a hybrid 3-4 something Texans played around with a little before Barwins injury.

thunderkyss
01-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Here's a blast from the past article (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/tcowlishaw/stories/080307dnspocowlishaw.375b26f.html), about Wade going to Dallas.... I like the premise.

SAN ANTONIO There is one significant upgrade that could alter the Cowboys' fortunes this season. There is one overriding reason that Wade Phillips is the new sheriff in town.

Sacks.

Discuss....

thunderkyss
01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Sorry.

This one (Cupcake from Hell) (http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/5/15/875115/wade-phillips-cupcake-from-hell) is even better. it even includes a semi-detailed pdf graphic about Wade's 3-4, check it out.

Two of the key players in the Philips 3-4 are DeMarcus Ware and the strong safety. The Phillips defense calls for Ware to pin his ears back and go after the QB on most plays and rely on the strong safety to provide coverage on three receiver sets. The problem last year was grossly inadequate strong safety play. We knew it, the other teams knew it and Wade knew it. The other teams attacked that weakness and in trying to compensate for it, we sacrificed some other strengths. Have we upgraded our strength at the strong safety position enough to make a difference? With Gerald Sensabaugh I believe we have. Sensabaugh will give us much better pass coverage than we have seen in recent years from our strong safety.

Dutchrudder
01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Sorry.

This one (Cupcake from Hell) (http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/5/15/875115/wade-phillips-cupcake-from-hell) is even better. it even includes a semi-detailed pdf graphic about Wade's 3-4, check it out.

I think if the Texans draft Von Miller, he will become the Demarcus Ware of the Texans' Wade defense. We need a sack artist on one side, and a bunch of run stuffers in support (Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton). Potential, we have lots of it... I just hope it works out :D

thunderkyss
01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
I think if the Texans draft Von Miller, he will become the Demarcus Ware of the Texans' Wade defense. We need a sack artist on one side, and a bunch of run stuffers in support (Ryans, Cushing, Sharpton). Potential, we have lots of it... I just hope it works out :D

We've got Bawin & Anderson.....

I think I'm missing what you are saying.

The Pencil Neck
01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry.

Two of the key players in the Philips 3-4 are DeMarcus Ware and the strong safety. The Phillips defense calls for Ware to pin his ears back and go after the QB on most plays and rely on the strong safety to provide coverage on three receiver sets. The problem last year was grossly inadequate strong safety play. We knew it, the other teams knew it and Wade knew it. The other teams attacked that weakness and in trying to compensate for it, we sacrificed some other strengths. Have we upgraded our strength at the strong safety position enough to make a difference? With Gerald Sensabaugh I believe we have. Sensabaugh will give us much better pass coverage than we have seen in recent years from our strong safety.

That means that Bernard Pollard is no longer our strong safety.

Unless Wade thinks he can coach him up.

HOU-TEX
01-13-2011, 01:29 PM
That means that Bernard Pollard is no longer our strong safety.

Unless Wade thinks he can coach him up.

He wasn't able to coach Roy Williams up. Pollard's the same type of player

GP
01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
have you reached a satisfactory answer to your question after four pages of response?

Here is my :twocents:

Texans needed immediate results by hiring a proven experienced defensive coordinator, this extends to the war room & free agency. It's a great opportunity for both Wade & the Texans. From comments in his presser to understanding his background Wade has an excellent track record of putting players in positions to succeed, he will maximize players potential. The Texans will continue with most of the same players, hence they will be a smaller, quicker front seven than most traditional 3-4's. emphasis will be on speed & abiltiy to react quicker, call it a hybrid 3-4 something Texans played around with a little before Barwins injury.

I liked what we were doing in the preseason, specifically I think it was the Cardinals and Cowboys preseason games...where we DID have lots of different looks on defense.

I don't necessarily think Barwin's injury is what killed those different looks. It's like it just died or something. Like it was used for fun, and then BOOP! it's gone. How can one player's absence on the field cause it to die?

The Pencil Neck
01-13-2011, 02:41 PM
He wasn't able to coach Roy Williams up. Pollard's the same type of player

Yeah, I know.

Ndevine7
01-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I liked what we were doing in the preseason, specifically I think it was the Cardinals and Cowboys preseason games...where we DID have lots of different looks on defense.

I don't necessarily think Barwin's injury is what killed those different looks. It's like it just died or something. Like it was used for fun, and then BOOP! it's gone. How can one player's absence on the field cause it to die?

Barwins loss hurt the dl depth alot and the reason they were able to do alot of those different looks was due to the athleticism of barwin and mario

steelbtexan
01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Because.

LOL

And a Cap

Since they're on the right track and everything. Isn't it time to upgrade your seats? Price increase? You can afford it, Economy !!!! Eshonomy!!!!

thunderkyss
01-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Barwins loss hurt the dl depth alot and the reason they were able to do alot of those different looks was due to the athleticism of barwin and mario

Not only that, we got Nading & tried to do the same thing....... he ended up on IR shortly after.

Not only did our back-ups get hurt, but our back-ups back-up got hurt.

& it wasn't just Barwin...

Bullman, Nading, Bing, Demeco, Barber..

& Mario got hurt somewhere around week 6 or 7 IIRC.... it was a bad year for the defense.

Now, I agree. 9 years into this thing. 5 years with Kubiak, we should have enough depth to handle injuries.... & I think we did. If FBush or Gary Kubiak would have played the aggressive style they brought these guys into play, they more than likely would have done much better.

Hopefully Wade won't scare so easily.

dalemurphy
01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Not only that, we got Nading & tried to do the same thing....... he ended up on IR shortly after.

Not only did our back-ups get hurt, but our back-ups back-up got hurt.

& it wasn't just Barwin...

Bullman, Nading, Bing, Demeco, Barber..

& Mario got hurt somewhere around week 6 or 7 IIRC.... it was a bad year for the defense.

Now, I agree. 9 years into this thing. 5 years with Kubiak, we should have enough depth to handle injuries.... & I think we did. If FBush or Gary Kubiak would have played the aggressive style they brought these guys into play, they more than likely would have done much better.

Hopefully Wade won't scare so easily.

As you know, I'm a Smithiak defender. However, one of the issues with the defensive depth was poor personnel decision-making. It was a huge mistake to keep Nading over Tim Jamison. It was also a huge mistake to retain Okam over Deljuan Robinson. And, considering they already knew about Mario's sports hernia, they should've paid to get Aaron Schobel in there. Finally, they should've repaired Mario's hernia in July or August and had a healthy Mario for the final 2+ months of the season.

and, don't get me started on the secondary!

JB
01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
As you know, I'm a Smithiak defender. However, one of the issues with the defensive depth was poor personnel decision-making. It was a huge mistake to keep Nading over Tim Jamison. It was also a huge mistake to retain Okam over Deljuan Robinson. And, considering they already knew about Mario's sports hernia, they should've paid to get Aaron Schobel in there. Finally, they should've repaired Mario's hernia in July or August and had a healthy Mario for the final 2+ months of the season.

and, don't get me started on the secondary!

I know Okam is playing in Tampa... can you remind me again where DelJuan is playing? And Schobel was nowhere close to football shape. Why sign him when he couldn't see the field...

Carr Bombed
01-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Ummmm, no we don't.

I'll take the fat midget FTW...

He's small in size, but he looks like he has alot of fight in him.

drs23
01-13-2011, 06:41 PM
I'll take the fat midget FTW...

He's small in size, but he looks like he has alot of fight in him.

He's your's! :kitten:

dalemurphy
01-14-2011, 05:56 AM
I know Okam is playing in Tampa... can you remind me again where DelJuan is playing? And Schobel was nowhere close to football shape. Why sign him when he couldn't see the field...

All I know about Deljuan is that he was the Texans best DT when he was on the field in 2008. For reasons beyond comprehension, he wasn't even given an opportunity to compete for a roster spot in 2010. Why keep Okam if you are going to cut him mid-season?

Schoble determined only to play for the Texans if he played in 2010. The Texans wouldn't pay him what he was wanting. They also passed on Raheem Brock, who had like 8 sacks, or so in 2010... instead, they went after Ogunleye and Kelsay first.