PDA

View Full Version : A good defense

tedr
01-09-2011, 03:26 PM
As I'm sitting here watching what the Ravens D is doing to the Chiefs in the second half, I can only imagine what the Texans could do with half as good a defense as that. Hopefully Wade can do here what he's done before.

cain78749
01-09-2011, 05:32 PM
The defense will undoubtedly be better.

1. Nowhere to go but up.
2. Competent coordinating on the way, replacing obvious gross incompetence.
3. Apparent willingness to actually sign some meaningful FAs.
4. Those players that are keepers are young.
5. Switching to 3-4 actually decreases the number of critical needs, IMO (from DT, DE, LB, CB, FS to DT, LB, CB, FS).

Even if the FA signings are mediocre, we should move into the top 20 in defense. Given that our division is wide open now, the real question mark, to me, is whether the offense takes a step back next year. If it doesn't, we should be right there at the end to win the division.

Still should have fired Kubiak.

tedr
01-09-2011, 06:56 PM

1. Nowhere to go but up.
5. Switching to 3-4 actually decreases the number of critical needs, IMO (from DT, DE, LB, CB, FS to DT, LB, CB, FS).

Even if the FA signings are mediocre, we should move into the top 20 in defense. Given that our division is wide open now, the real question mark, to me, is whether the offense takes a step back next year. If it doesn't, we should be right there at the end to win the division.

Agree with you on all points, especially the part in bold.

vupac1
01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
We need Aso PLEASE!!

ATXtexanfan
01-09-2011, 07:59 PM
wade "son of bum" phillips is our savior, amen

dream_team
01-09-2011, 11:09 PM

1. Nowhere to go but up.

Agree with all except for #5. Why do we need a DE if we stay in 4-3? I think we're deep at DE with Mario, Antonio, Barwin, & Andersen. I actually think our critical need go up.

In 4-3, we really need a younger & faster FS, veteran CB, and an upgrade at the Will if you want to be picky.

In 3-4, we still need the FS, CB, pass rushing OLB, and a NT.

ubecool454
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Agree with all except for #5. Why do we need a DE if we stay in 4-3? I think we're deep at DE with Mario, Antonio, Barwin, & Andersen. I actually think our critical need go up.

In 4-3, we really need a younger & faster FS, veteran CB, and an upgrade at the Will if you want to be picky.

I got a NT for you...hopefully Nick Fairley DT from auburn is there when we pick. Watch the national championship game on monday night and let me know how you like him. 6'5" 315 good power and quickness and nasty attitude..:whip:

BattleRedToro
01-09-2011, 11:39 PM
I got a NT for you...hopefully Nick Fairley DT from auburn is there when we pick. Watch the national championship game on monday night and let me know how you like him. 6'5" 315 good power and quickness and nasty attitude..:whip:

He will be long gone by pick #11, so you'll have to hope for a trade up if you really want him.

Corrosion
01-10-2011, 03:16 AM

1. Nowhere to go but up.

Somehow everyone suddenly forgets that it was the same guy who fixed this defense last year when it was on pace to give up a record number of rushing yards after the 3rd game .... from the time Smith took over that defense improved to a very respectable one and neared the top ten statistically.

Smith was nothing but a fall guy for the other Smith who refused to resign Pay Me Rick or bring in a veteran CB as well as left those young corners with next to no help over the top from the FS spot .....

FlyingTexan
01-10-2011, 04:23 AM
If we move Glover Quin to FS we could take the CB from Nebraska. I know our secondary doesn't need to get any younger but this guy is already NFL material.

I would love Fairley but he won't be on the board at 11. there is a DT from Oregon St that is supposed to be available to us and a great pick overall. Also we can hope that S Raheem Moore from UCLA falls to the 2nd round for us.

AnthonyE
01-10-2011, 07:11 AM
If we move Glover Quin to FS we could take the CB from Nebraska. I know our secondary doesn't need to get any younger but this guy is already NFL material.

I would love Fairley but he won't be on the board at 11. there is a DT from Oregon St that is supposed to be available to us and a great pick overall. Also we can hope that S Raheem Moore from UCLA falls to the 2nd round for us.

Not singling you out, but I don't know why moving Glover to FS is always suggested. He's our best corner out there at this moment. Of course, our "best" corner is below-average to mediocre, but until we get some quality starting corners, I don't want to see our best anything being moved to a new position.

Mr teX
01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Not singling you out, but I don't know why moving Glover to FS is always suggested. He's our best corner out there at this moment. Of course, our "best" corner is below-average to mediocre, but until we get some quality starting corners, I don't want to see our best anything being moved to a new position.

Yes, the bolded is "tallest midget" line of thinking....that's why you go ahead, move him & see what he could do at the safety spot. I said last year i didn't think he was a starting caliber cb in this league. I think he does however have enough coverage & ball skills to maybe make the transition to safety successfully. He's also physical enough to handle the hitting workload of a safety. Besides, It's not like we'd be missing out on much by keeping him at the cb spot anyway.

bigbrewster2000
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
A Good Defense? What is this good defense you speak of? Haven't seen one here in such a long time I cant remember what that's like

Norg
01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
well to be fair the Ravens O pretty much played the entire 4th Qtr

tedr
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
well to be fair the Ravens O pretty much played the entire 4th Qtr

That's true. It was definitely a team effort. However, when the D was out there in the second half, KC pretty much did nothing. That's some great defense in a big-time situation.

BigBull17
01-13-2011, 11:05 AM

We also have Boulmen, who could be a decent 3-4 end. I think Okoye fits the bill as well. Smith, Boulmen, Mario, Zerokoye, Jamison, and Nading. I think we are fine at 3-4 end. Anderson can do both OLB and maybe some end on passing downs. Same with Barwin.