PDA

View Full Version : Nnamdi Asomugha is now an unrestricted free agent...

01-09-2011, 11:32 AM
let's make it happen, rick.

Goatcheese
01-09-2011, 11:33 AM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

texanchris
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM

please make it happen Rick. Would really upgrade our secondary and give us our #1 cornerback.

ChrisG
01-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I didnt see this posted on here.

Per Rotoworld and ESPN:

SPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that Nnamdi Asomugha's contract has voided, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Asomugha's contract contained a complicated clause that essentially voided the contract if the star cornerback failed to achieve certain incentives. The clause also does not allow the Raiders to slap him with the franchise tag. He'll enter free agency as the biggest name defensive player on the market. Jan. 9 - 11:27 am et

Based on our record with big name players we wont be signing him. But whoever does will be paying alot for him.

texanhead08
01-09-2011, 11:37 AM

TexCanada
01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
He will require another massive contract, I doubt we will go for him. I sure as heck hope we do go for it though.

HTown2ATX
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
DO THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait....there's probably a rookie at DB who is "NFL ready" we can just take with our 1st pick.... :gun:

To the midiocrity loving staff on Kirby: SIGN HIM!!!!!! Cut one of the 1,000 tight ends we have and that garbag....er...Okoye and get him.

:jam:

IDEXAN
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
You guys really don't think this guy would be an upgrade over Kareem do you ?

HTown2ATX
01-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Dude....I'm still kind of sleepy.....this IS sarcasm right???????????

BigWig
01-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Lets get him, oh wait! Bob is too conservative.:kubepalm:

01-09-2011, 11:45 AM

this isnt even funny, man... haha

Lucky
01-09-2011, 11:46 AM
please make it happen Rick.
This decision is way over Rick Smith's head.

BSofA04
01-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Whatever it takes....do it!!!!

SF49erFaithful
01-09-2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

lol

b0ng
01-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Shit you people jumped all over this. Sign him and Bailey in the offseason. Profit.

Honoring Earl 34
01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
http://images.veer.com/IMG/PIMG/MPP/1599003_P.jpg

Texan4Ever
01-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I will run around Houston dressed as Toro if the Texans and Bob McNair make this happen...you heard that McNair free publicity courtesy of Texan4Ever if you sign Aso.

Lucky
01-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Asomugha’s deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn’t achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn'’t.

His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didn’t achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player.

To achieve his incentives, Asomugha had to play in a greater number of defensive plays in 2010 than he did in 2009, and this season Asomugha played in only 14 games whereas he played in all 16 in 2009.
How an NFL team could allow a contract stipulation such as this is mind-numbing. To lose an asset such as Asomugha for nothing is the height of incompetence.

You can bet your bippy Jerry Jones will be in line for Nnamdi. Danny Snyder, too. If the Texans are going to be in the mix, they must be prepared to breakout the big buck$.

Texan4Ever
01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
How an NFL could allow a contract stipulation such as this is mind-numbing. To lose an asset such as Asomugha for nothing is the height of incompetence.

You can bet your bippy Jerry Jones will be in line for Nnamdi. Danny Snyder, too. If the Texans are going to be in the mix, they must be prepared to breakout the big buck$.

Should we expect anything less from Al Davis, I sometimes wonder what he's smoking? :thinking:

dickieb
01-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Damn, if there was a time for Bob and Rick to gain some confidence from the fans...

That being said, it probably won't happen for us. I sure hope they do make it happen though!

dickieb
01-09-2011, 12:09 PM
We get to see how serious they were about going out and getting whatever Wade wants. I assume Wade would want him on our defense...

GuerillaBlack
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I bet if we had Cowher...

;)

I want this to happen, but this organization doesn't make big moves.

FirstTexansFan
01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Well, it's time for this FO to put up or shutup. Aso and Bailey are needs for this team, with Bailey being moved to safety, instant credibility across the board. I know I'd be sold on this move.

Pantherstang84
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok. Now you guys will cause me to have wet dreams. Aso and Bailey in our defensive backfield?

Championship! :trophy:

Keep in mind though, neither player is free to negotiate until March the 4th. The day the lockout starts.:evil:

sbalderrama
01-09-2011, 12:22 PM
what kind of an ***** GM signs a contract that allows the player to get out of it by playing bad?

eriadoc
01-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Memo to the Texans FO:

You DO realize the secondary is a big problem, right?

Kulluminatii
01-09-2011, 12:29 PM
:brickwall: :gun: :brickwall: :gun: :brickwall: :gun:

**** AL ****ING DAVIS

Lechler wasn't joking when he said a lot of players were pissed with that senile bastard's decision to fire Cable. Al has to be the worst ****ing owner in the history of sports. I don't blame Nnamdi at all for wanting to leave the hellhole that is Oakland, Im pissed at Davis for not trading him when he had the ****ing chance. It should have been obvious Nnamdi wasn't happy with the way things were going, and the firing of Cable was probably the last straw.

I've never wished death on anybody before...but hell, Davis is making it reaaal ****ing hard not to. I definitely won't shed a tear when he finally does die...thats for damn sure.

dickieb
01-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Maybe we should write letters to Mr. McNair asking him to go get Asomugha as a peace offering to the fans!

I have been thinking of the raiders personnel guy (office space style) looking over this move saying... Nnama nnaga not gonna work here anymore that's for sure! Ha what an ***** for allowing this contract blunder.

JB
01-09-2011, 12:32 PM
:brickwall: :gun: :brickwall: :gun: :brickwall: :gun:

**** AL ****ING DAVIS

Lechler wasn't joking when he said a lot of players were pissed with that senile bastard's decision to fire Cable. Al has to be the worst ****ing owner in the history of sports. I don't blame Nnamdi at all for wanting to leave the hellhole that is Oakland, Im pissed at Davis for not trading him when he had the ****ing chance. It should have been obvious Nnamdi wasn't happy with the way things were going, and the firing of Cable was probably the last straw.

I've never wished death on anybody before...but hell, Davis is making it reaaal ****ing hard not to. I definitely won't shed a tear when he finally does die...thats for damn sure.

Aso's contract would have voided wether Cable was kept or not...

Kulluminatii
01-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Aso's contract would have voided wether Cable was kept or not...

Yeah...just read that now...holy shit that is even worse! What the hell was Al thinking when he agreed to a contract like that?! No way in hell he comes back to Oakland even if we offered him substantially more $$$. I can see the guy taking less to go on a team that is playoff-ready. I have a sinking feeling he might sign with the Pats. :gun:

gg no re
01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/meh.ro4799.jpg

TheIronDuke
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Hm, I don't know if Smith will pull it off, we already have a CB wearing #21 and it might confuse the FO.

b0ng
01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Remember when people (myself included) were saying that the Raiders looked like they were going to have a better future than the Texans?

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Hey lets fire the head coach and lose our all pro corner.

Dutchrudder
01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
If a team wants Aso, I think they will be paying at least what Dunta got, ~48 mill over 4 years (I think).

steelbtexan
01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
How an NFL team could allow a contract stipulation such as this is mind-numbing. To lose an asset such as Asomugha for nothing is the height of incompetence.

Look for ASO to be waering a star on his helment next yr.

I sure wish BoB would step up to the plate for the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS.

It's not going to happen. Texans/McNair never go after the top tier FA's.

This is how you get to 6-10.

Hervoyel
01-09-2011, 12:57 PM
let's make it happen, rick.

Somebody aiming a little higher than 9-7 will sign him. The Texans need not apply.

Lucky
01-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Maybe we should write letters to Mr. McNair asking him to go get Asomugha as a peace offering to the fans!
It's the type of move that would show he's trying to win. Unlike the other moves he has/hasn't made thus far this offseason. I know it would make me feel much better about things. It should be noted that Nnamdi is a high character guy that would be a good fit in this organization.

otisbean
01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
It's the type of move that would show he's trying to win. Unlike the other moves he has/hasn't made thus far this offseason. I know it would make me feel much better about things. It should be noted that Nnamdi is a high character guy that would be a good fit in this organization.

Great pont! This guy would make a gigantic difference and he is a "
Texans type player. Signing him would go a long way towards putting your money where your mouth is for McNair

TheCD
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Every 3-4 coach will tell you that you have to have corners who can play solid man coverage because the exotic blitzes provide no safety help over the top most times. A guy like Asomugha gives you the luxury of not worrying about it. This is the kind of high dollar move you make to quickly transition defenses.

As far as Bailey is concerned, he stated he wants top CB money for at least 3 more years, and then he would.switch to FS. Having them both is not possible.

I think we have good reason to be excited. Every time a trade rumor would swirl for him every season we were always possible 'trade partners'. I think that could be more than a coincidence and our FO has coveted him for a while.

McNair said he wants a quick turnaround. Well here is the surest test he will get. How much are you willing to pay to get the best FA to hit the market in a long time?

fiasco west
01-09-2011, 01:20 PM
This would make up for the whole Kubiak being back thing McNair.

Just.Do.It

This should be the Texans ONLY FA target right now as far as i'm concerned. You make a position that was a major weakness into a strength. Also you focus on drafting a cover safety or NT.

Get it done. Also it seems like Andre and Nnamdi are pals, maybe they would like to play together? It's going to take a lot though. At least with the Redskins you can say it's a mess over there and the Cowboys are bigger competition. Shell out the big bucks though, guys don't usually care who they play for if you are giving them a huge payday for it.

Once again.

Do it.

Nawzer
01-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't see the Texans making a big splash like that at a need position. They'll probably sign some no name street free agent or get a guy in the 7th round and expect him to cure the secondary. The Texans have consistently showed they are not interested in seriously fixing the secondary. I hope they sign Nnamdi but I'm not holding out too much hope.

Doppelganger
01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
As much as I would love to see it, I think Aso does one of two things:
1. Goes for the money
2. Goes to a winning squad.

So, if he choose option 1, he will go to DC where Big Bucks Snyder will "show him the money."

If he chooses option 2, he will chose a place like New England where winning is contagious.

houstonspartan
01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm laughing at all of these "he's going to cost too much" comments. It's time for this front office to shut the hell up and BACK UP all of their talk.

That's all this team does is talk.

Yak.
Yak.
Yak.

Enough. Talk is cheap. Just do it already.

Also, as someone mentioned, what crack pipe were the lawyers puffing on when that contract was written?

The Cush
01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
There are still issues at Tight End that need to be addressed first!

:wadepalm: <-- At Kubes/Smith after drafting Kyle Rudolph, TE Notre Dame in the 2nd round and NOT giving Wade any help on defense

CretorFrigg
01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I also wanted to note that whoever constructed Asomugha's construct is a very confused individual. Why in the world would you include incentives, according to the article, deemed unachievable? That's equivalent to allowing the best player to walk away from your team after you've had ONE decent year.

Good job Al Davis. You might as well fire Tom Cable now too, right? Oh wait, you already did that.

With that said, I would really like to see the Texans sign Asomugha. But I'm willing to bet there are numerous other teams vying to sign him, and nothing in the Texans history has shown me they are remotely competent when it comes to signing free agents. Please prove me wrong.

Sign the man, Rick Smith. This is our chance.

Lucky
01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
As much as I would love to see it, I think Aso does one of two things:
1. Goes for the money
2. Goes to a winning squad.
Asomugha may have political aspirations. Going to DC could allow him to establish contacts he will need later in his post-NFL life.

ObsiWan
01-09-2011, 01:48 PM

you haven't seen the likes of "courting" for an athlete's services since LeBron made his "World Tour". We'll have to get in line.

jaayteetx
01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Asomugha may have political aspirations. Going to DC could allow him to establish contacts he will need later in his post-NFL life.

Its been established Daniel Snyder isn't afraid to bust out the check book too. I don't see him coming here, no way.

Esoom
01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Give Aso anything he wants to get him in a Texans uniform next year. He is the best CB in the league, and a classy guy as well. He is essentially the Andre Johnson of cornerbacks. We NEED him on this team.

Also, lol Raiders.

TheRealJoker
01-09-2011, 02:11 PM
There is no PLAYER that would help this team more than Aso. He has consistently been considered the best CB in the NFL for several years (forget about Revis and the NY hype ... Aso doesn't get a Rex Ryan D).

He can play on an island allowing us to shift coverage over to the young CBs so they don't get embarrassed and lockdown the opposing team's # 1 target in the passing game.

Put him on a Wade Phillips defense that will most assuredly get pressure on the QB (when has Wade's defenses not?) and wait to find another reason why we choke late in games because the D is not it.

kiwitexansfan
01-09-2011, 02:13 PM
OK, now do we have a cap figure to stay under this year with the whole CBA thing? If so what teams can realistically make a play for him? Are the Texans one of them?

Now if there is no cap, the bidding could get CRAZY on a front loaded contract, at that point I would say we don't have much chance to get him, while I don't think McNair is cheap, I don't think he's going to pay an insane amount to get one guy.

If there is a cap, and we can fit him at the biggest DB contract in the NFL (which he will demand and probably deserves) would he want to come here. Let's assume every team who can pay him would offer him whatever he wants, would he want to come here.

I would assume like a lot of elite players, especially one from a losing team he wants rings to secure his legacy...... does he see in the Texans a team who can contend straight away?

I think it might come down to whether we can convince him that Wade Phillips can turn our defence into a NFL defense in one offseason, which might be a tall order.

Best case scenario I feel is that everyone else floods to Aso, while we throw ourselves at Champ Bailey and get him.

kiwitexansfan
01-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I also wanted to note that whoever constructed Asomugha's construct is a very confused individual. Why in the world would you include incentives, according to the article, deemed unachievable? That's equivalent to allowing the best player to walk away from your team after you've had ONE decent year.

Good job Al Davis. You might as well fire Tom Cable now too, right? Oh wait, you already did that.

With that said, I would really like to see the Texans sign Asomugha. But I'm willing to bet there are numerous other teams vying to sign him, and nothing in the Texans history has shown me they are remotely competent when it comes to signing free agents. Please prove me wrong.

Sign the man, Rick Smith. This is our chance.

My thinking on this is that Aso didn't really want to be a Raider and put the clauses in as an out while still getting paid up front. Smart move by him, desperate move by the Rrrrrrrrrrraiders.

b0ng
01-09-2011, 02:22 PM
My thinking on this is that Aso didn't really want to be a Raider and put the clauses in as an out while still getting paid up front. Smart move by him, desperate move by the Rrrrrrrrrrraiders.

That makes no sense at all. Why would Aso want to void a contract with so much garunteed money? That was a Raider move, and a really ****ing dumb one at that.

2slik4u
01-09-2011, 02:33 PM
I didnt see this posted on here.

Per Rotoworld and ESPN:

SPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that Nnamdi Asomugha's contract has voided, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Asomugha's contract contained a complicated clause that essentially voided the contract if the star cornerback failed to achieve certain incentives. The clause also does not allow the Raiders to slap him with the franchise tag. He'll enter free agency as the biggest name defensive player on the market. Jan. 9 - 11:27 am et

Based on our record with big name players we wont be signing him. But whoever does will be paying alot for him.

Considering the circumstances, I think we pay him whatever it takes to get him here. I normally HATE paying through the nose to players because I dont think anyone is worth that much money (in general) but we have the cap space, he's the best CB in the game, our secondary is horrible, and he's an UFA!!

I know its not going to happen but hopefully Bob at least humors us fans and we get our name thrown out there in the rumor mill.

Pantherstang84
01-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Uncle Bob could go a long way in patching up the relationship with the fan base by getting this done.

Blake
01-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Texans try to sign Aso? I'll believe it when I see it.

Why would Aso want to come here?

Ole Miss Texan
01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I hope this happens so bad.

I believe the free agency rules change this offseason. Playoff teams may not be able to sign him.

fiasco west
01-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Texans try to sign Aso? I'll believe it when I see it.

Why would Aso want to come here?

His friend Andre plays here, on top of that it is a big market. He would get all the credit (player wise) in the media for turning around the defense if he can help do that. There is also the 100 or so million he'd be getting.

Despite our poor record and history, I don't think the Texans are quite in Lions/Browns territory yet.

GP
01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
With how bad our defense is. With how bad our cornerbacks are. With how bad our safeties are. And with having hired a "proven" defensive-coordinator...if we can't spend some money (money that would have been spent on Cowher and his staff AND paying out Kubiak's contract) then you guys should all know that this owner is. once again, a dumbass.

He has the chance to put ONE lockdown, talented, smart, physical, veteran cornerback out there on the field and essentially show the other secondary players how to play the game.

As much as Andre Johnson has helped our WRs, Aso would do that for the secondary. The whole friggin' secondary would have to daily raise their game at practices and would receive a psychological boost in confidence on game day.

A smart owner would have known about the impending Aso voided contract, would have said "let's keep this, let's axe that, and then go get this Aso guy and stop putting band-aids on gunshot wounds around here."

A SMART OWNER, that is. This isn't a project player. He isn't on a defense ran by Frank Bush. This is a Pro Bowl player who is highly respected and who I consider to be the Andre Johnson of the defensive secondary world.

This allows Wade Phillips to forget about targeting secondary in round 1 of the draft. It essentially frees him up to go LB or D-Lineman, whichever he wants at our round 1 spot. And I like those odds.

Let's see if (a) we're even going to formally go after him, and (b) if we can get him before he's used us as leverage against some other team.

I am one pissed off fan, as are others, and this would make me drop my Fire Kubiak avatar. I would drop my sig image. I would STFU from now until the bye week. Promise.

fiasco west
01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
With how bad our defense is. With how bad our cornerbacks are. With how bad our safeties are. And with having hired a "proven" defensive-coordinator...if we can't spend some money (money that would have been spent on Cowher and his staff AND paying out Kubiak's contract) then you guys should all know that this owner is. once again, a dumbass.

He has the chance to put ONE lockdown, talented, smart, physical, veteran cornerback out there on the field and essentially show the other secondary players how to play the game.

As much as Andre Johnson has helped our WRs, Aso would do that for the secondary. The whole friggin' secondary would have to daily raise their game at practices and would receive a psychological boost in confidence on game day.

A smart owner would have known about the impending Aso voided contract, would have said "let's keep this, let's axe that, and then go get this Aso guy and stop putting band-aids on gunshot wounds around here."

A SMART OWNER, that is. This isn't a project player. He isn't on a defense ran by Frank Bush. This is a Pro Bowl player who is highly respected and who I consider to be the Andre Johnson of the defensive secondary world.

This allows Wade Phillips to forget about targeting secondary in round 1 of the draft. It essentially frees him up to go LB or D-Lineman, whichever he wants at our round 1 spot. And I like those odds.

Let's see if (a) we're even going to formally go after him, and (b) if we can get him before he's used us as leverage against some other team.

I am one pissed off fan, as are others, and this would make me drop my Fire Kubiak avatar. I would drop my sig image. I would STFU from now until the bye week. Promise.

This would do a lot for McNair's image with the fans. I hope he doesn't risk another year on passing on such talent in FA for 'building through the draft' something that yeah...hasn't worked too much for us.

this is it for Mcnair. This FA period is going to say alot about what he thinks of the Texans. Is McNair a owner wanting to win? Is he just an owner that doesn't give a **** about winning and only cares about making as much profit as he can.

Not saying it's Nnamdi or bust, but lack of money shouldn't be the reason Nnamdi turns us down.

MojoX
01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
This would be a hell of an acquisition. Hope the Texans get a big bid in even if Asomugha pulls a Peppers and creates a short list of teams he will play for. And I hope they don't forget to leak every detail of their effort (if any) to acquire Asomugha through sources other than McClain, because if they don't...

Age shouldn't be an issue. This is the kind of player who mentors others at his position and who allows a DC to get crazy imaginative in scheme.

Lucky
01-09-2011, 04:29 PM
This allows Wade Phillips to forget about targeting secondary in round 1 of the draft.
Getting younger at CB doesn't make much sense, anyway.

rmartin65
01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Do it, please!

I would rather have Aso than Bailey (age thing), so this is perfect. Starting CBs- Aso and Quin, with Allen and KJ as the 3rd/4th corners. Add a FS through the draft, and the Texans defensive backfield looks a lot better.

Lucky
01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Despite our poor record and history, I don't think the Texans are quite in Lions/Browns territory yet.
Actually, the post-expansion Browns are a pretty good comparison. The Texans are 55-89 since their inception. During the same time period ('02-'10), the Browns are 52-92.

kiwitexansfan
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I guarantee there are 31 fan bases and 31 front offices wanting to get his signature.

Not getting him will not necessarily be a condemnation of the Texans or Bob McNair.

fiasco west
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
I guarantee there are 31 fan bases and 31 front offices wanting to get his signature.

Not getting him will not necessarily be a condemnation of the Texans or Bob McNair.

No it won't be if Aso doesn't want to sign.

Actually, the post-expansion Browns are a pretty good comparison. The Texans are 55-89 since their inception. During the same time period ('02-'10), the Browns are 52-92.

Well...all the more reason to sign him so we can turn this ship in the right direction. If we can manage to get Aso and then he come here and does just that McNair might be more willing to spend.

Lucky
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
No, but it could help redeem him in the eyes of some fans. For a franchise looking for something positive, signing an All-Pro like Asomugha at a need position would be just what the doctor ordered.

TheIronDuke
01-09-2011, 04:51 PM

And the Browns have been to the playoffs even.

J_R
01-09-2011, 05:18 PM
LanceZierlein This RT @StephStradley: Texans couldn't sign Schobel, despite him wanting to play in Hou and needing a pass rush. Nnamdi? HAHAHAHA!

Asked Lance Z; his reponse: they appear to be too cheap

Rey
01-09-2011, 05:22 PM
LanceZierlein This RT @StephStradley: Texans couldn't sign Schobel, despite him wanting to play in Hou and needing a pass rush. Nnamdi? HAHAHAHA!

That's excellent.

I really hope we sign Nnamdi...

I'm just ultra skeptical.

No way do I see this happening.

gary
01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Money or a winner he'll have a choice to make.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Actually, he can probably do both. The Texans can only guarantee one of them and make a "promise" about the 2nd. A defninite pursue, but not any sort of expect to for me.

CretorFrigg
01-09-2011, 05:36 PM

It's not our money, it's McNair's. I've made my pick already. Sign him!

gary
01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
I'd sign him but just not sure he'll look our way.

Mr teX
01-09-2011, 05:58 PM
This is a good thing simply b/c it might take focus off of bailey. All the usual suspects will be after nmandi. Let them fight over him. We should just concentrate our efforts on Bailey while everyone else is distracted by trying to acquire nmandi.

False Start
01-09-2011, 06:12 PM
This would definitely help bring back some of the fanbase that was scorned by retaining Kubiak. The wagon would start to fill back up.

From Bob's recent comments it seems like he has finally gotten the point. Something like this would be a step in the right direction to proving that. The Texans need to make the first HOLY SH!T move in franchise history, and bring Nnamdi in if at all possible.

I'm not gonna hold my breath though, lol. :kitten:

Playoffs
01-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Asomugha also could have triggered his 2011 option by improving upon his interception, fumble recovery or sack totals this season. The four-time Pro Bowl corner had no interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks in 2010.

Asomugha's option would have kicked in had he recorded just one interception, one fumble recovery or one sack, a league source told the Oakland Tribune Sunday.
Hmmm. :hmmm:

GP
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Yeah. the McNair Is Cheap mantra is reserved for only a few lunatics on here....

Wait a second. Lance Z says this likely won't get done because it appears the Texans are too cheap?

Somebody should slam Lance Z, on here, over and over again and tell him what an ass he is for even perpetuating this vicious, baseless indictment.

If we don't get a top-flight CB this off-season, and I'm not talking about somebody's cast-off lame-ass CB either, then we're screwed. Because "the kids" are not going to flourish learning a whole new defense and be expected to produce. It's going to take a veteran, a good veteran.

Ryan
01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Hmmm. :hmmm:

He hardly ever gets thrown at because he usually has his guy locked down.

Thorn
01-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Nice discussion, but it ain't happening, and yall know it. It would be wonderful if it did though.

JB
01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Nice discussion, but it ain't happening, and yall know it. It would be wonderful if it did though.

It's January! We can dream for a couple of months yet...

superdave532
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah. the McNair Is Cheap mantra is reserved for only a few lunatics on here....

Wait a second. Lance Z says this likely won't get done because it appears the Texans are too cheap?

Somebody should slam Lance Z, on here, over and over again and tell him what an ass he is for even perpetuating this vicious, baseless indictment.

If we don't get a top-flight CB this off-season, and I'm not talking about somebody's cast-off lame-ass CB either, then we're screwed. Because "the kids" are not going to flourish learning a whole new defense and be expected to produce. It's going to take a veteran, a good veteran.

I don't think LZ is calling the Texans cheap, rather he's saying that the Schobel signing should have been a slam dunk and the FO didn't/couldn't get it done. Signing a long shot All-star like Aso..scrabble should be looked at as a fairy tale after that

CloakNNNdagger
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
If I remember correctly, Kubiak was quoted (in paraphrase) that Wade would be given all the pieces that he needs to make the D successful. That type of statement would never have been made, if it didn't mimic McNair's statements to Kubiak. It's time for McNair to ante up.

otisbean
01-09-2011, 07:50 PM
If I remember correctly, Kubiak was quoted (in paraphrase) that Wade would be given all the pieces that he needs to make the D successful. That type of statement would never have been made, if it didn't mimic McNair's statements to Kubiak. It's time for McNair to ante up.

Agreed! The only FA I thought we should have gone after in the past was Turner, but given their system I can understand why they passed. This is a completely different animal. This guy is ultra elite, in his prime, a stand up guy and fills a HUGE position of need. He should be given the full court press by our FO. It would go a long way towards showing McNair is serious about building a championship team

GP
01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't think LZ is calling the Texans cheap, rather he's saying that the Schobel signing should have been a slam dunk and the FO didn't/couldn't get it done. Signing a long shot All-star like Aso..scrabble should be looked at as a fairy tale after that

Except you're not representing it correctly.

Lance Z said it won't get done because it appears the Texans are too cheap. We can haggle over the word "appears," since it's his speculation. But hey, I think Lance Z is saying "This is why" here.

I think he even threw in several Ha Ha Ha! type laugh phrases, too, didn't he?

Why would he do that?

Because he, too, knows that this owner won't pull the trigger on the necessary deal. Due to money.

It's just more of the same. McNair is years behind every learning curve. He finally found the balls the pay a competent d-coord. It will be a few more years before he finds balls enough to do something like signing an Aso-type player.

You guys are trying to act like this is no big deal.

It is a HUGE deal. The owner isn't a day late and a dollar short. Think more in terms of years and millions of dollars.

Slow and steady wins the race, right? I remember when the Packers, just a few years ago, were not in the position they are tonight. People got all over the Packers management for dumping Brett Favre, and all they did was go out and do things right. People thought that Packers team would crater without Favre, just as people think this Texans team would crater without Kubiak.

Two straight years in the playoffs, and they look damn good. All this after losing the Immortal Brett Favre, people wondering if Aaron Rodgers was ready for the moment, the fans jumping off cliffs because Favre wasn't there and the change was too "TRAUMATIC" and look at them: A damn sight better than us.

Without a true CB, this defense is screwed. Well hell, lookie-there! I spotted the guy that you don't even have to wonder for one second whether or not he will succeed. He will.

McNair said, of the Wade Phillips and Gary Kubiak duo: "It WILL work."

Well help them out, boss. Give them someone to put out there and show "the kids" how it's done. Or will we go grab some cast-off, nobody-wants-their-ass-anyways CBs?

Yeah, I know how this plays out. The move is too big. Too "traumatic" to McNair's senses. It'd put him in a coma.

GP
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM

No, I think McNair thinks it will be "business as usual" in terms of acquiring players.

He feels the Wade Phillips hiring IS the big free agency haul that was spoken of.

It's over. Phillips is THE hire that solves everything.

Oh, we'll grab some nobody-wants-my-ass player out there. And the Texans P.R. hype machine will sell him, via coach's comments (Wade is currently being coached, by Texans P.R. personnel on how to do this, mind you) that this new guy is "on his way up," and "just needs a chance to shine," you know...the same old bullshit they've been shoveling on us mushrooms for nine years now.

McNair thinks we can do same old crap, build through the draft, and BAM! we're in the playoffs.

LOL.

This IS how it will go down. If we sign Aso, I promise I will drop everything: Avatar, Sig, and I won't say a bad word about this team until the bye week.

I think I have this bet won, though. Patterns. This team is predictable. It has patterns of how it operates. And it isn't changing in a matter of a few weeks.

J_R
01-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Seems to me Kubiak and McNair have said opposite things in this young, early offseason. I'd have to go back and look to see if this really holds true. Maybe just my imagination.

Kubiak (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Kubiak-press-conference/cf02f6ea-0dea-49a3-b5b2-4cf5713a2232):
(on whether it will matter if the defensive coordinator he hires runs a 3-4 or a 4-3 scheme) “You know what, it doesn’t. I’ve been asked that a couple times today. I think what we have to do is respect the person that we hire, knowing that we’re getting the best guy available; and we’ve got to say, ‘Look at our personnel,’ and I don’t think it really matters what we play. Whatever he thinks is best and gives us the best chance to be successful, then we should adapt to him. So we’re going to turn it over to him.”

(on if the new defensive coordinator will have input into defensive personnel) “No doubt. We need to do everything we can to support that guy. Like I said, we’ve got a problem. We have not played good defense. This year was very, very poor. We’ve got to go out there and sell our program to a top-notch guy and we’ve got to let him know we’re going to totally support him and what he doesn’t think he has, we need to go get it for him and whatever we can do to get better. This football team needs to see us be totally committed to getting better on that side of the ball and that means supporting whoever we bring in.”

Also there was this from McNair a few days ago:

He saw exactly what our problems were, and he had ideas as to how they could be corrected that weren't necessarily requiring a lot of additional personnel. And I agree with him."

No, I think McNair thinks it will be "business as usual" in terms of acquiring players.

He feels the Wade Phillips hiring IS the big free agency haul that was spoken of.

It's over. Phillips is THE hire that solves everything.

Oh, we'll grab some nobody-wants-my-ass player out there. And the Texans P.R. hype machine will sell him, via coach's comments (Wade is currently being coached, by Texans P.R. personnel on how to do this, mind you) that this new guy is "on his way up," and "just needs a chance to shine," you know...the same old bullshit they've been shoveling on us mushrooms for nine years now.

McNair thinks we can do same old crap, build through the draft, and BAM! we're in the playoffs.

LOL.

This IS how it will go down. If we sign Aso, I promise I will drop everything: Avatar, Sig, and I won't say a bad word about this team until the bye week.

I think I have this bet won, though. Patterns. This team is predictable. It has patterns of how it operates. And it isn't changing in a matter of a few weeks.

I think you're exactly right.

steelbtexan
01-09-2011, 08:10 PM
McNair Bringing in ASO

LOL

If it happens you know the Myan calander thing is real.

I will take back everything I said about McNair being cheap if he signs ASO.

History says I wont be taking anything back.

BTW, You should check out the Lions boards. They are crazy hot for ASO.

JB
01-09-2011, 08:19 PM
McNair Bringing in ASO

LOL

If it happens you know the Myan calander thing is real.

I will take back everything I said about McNair being cheap if he signs ASO.

History says I wont be taking anything back.

BTW, You should check out the Lions boards. They are crazy hot for ASO.

I'm sure all the teams boards are crazy hot for ASO.

jaayteetx
01-09-2011, 08:20 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!!!

Dutchrudder
01-09-2011, 08:27 PM

No no no... we are the only team who could possibly understand how good Aso is. Nobody else should bother looking at him...

GP
01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
If any person here says that Aso doesn't need to be here, then I don't know what to say. That person is lying. They are trying to act as if he's not a player that could transform a defense, at least the entire secondary for that matter.

I already see that some people are trying to rationalize us not signing him by saying all the other teams, especially the good ones, will get him.

Why so?

Why couldn't THIS team sign him? I'll tell you why: Because this team's owner thinks Wade Phillips is the answer. McNair spent the big bucks. Now the Magic Man (Phillips) gets to wave his magic wand and transform it before our very eyes!

"He saw exactly what our problems were, and he had ideas as to how they could be corrected that weren't necessarily requiring a lot of additional personnel. And I agree with him." - McNair

I am shocked. Kubiak told McNair that he could work with David Carr, and he gets the HC job. LOL. And Wade tells McNair that he can get it done without requiring a lot of additional personnel.

You gotta' admit, Kubiak must have told Wade eggzactly what to say in the interview. LOL. Nicely played, boys. You know how to get in daddy's ear and get what you want. And daddy is happy. So happy.

ubecool454
01-09-2011, 08:41 PM
If we have the money after cutting Okoye and Jacoby and a few other under performers...we should go after Seymour too. If we are going to go to a 3-4 and you see Mario, Seymour and Antonio Smith going after the QB....if Conner Barwin is ready and Demeco is back 100% we can have Barwin, Mark Anderson and Cushing outside rushing QBs all day long. I'm not going to get to excited though...I know what happens everytime I do.

fiasco west
01-09-2011, 08:50 PM
If any person here says that Aso doesn't need to be here, then I don't know what to say. That person is lying. They are trying to act as if he's not a player that could transform a defense, at least the entire secondary for that matter.

I already see that some people are trying to rationalize us not signing him by saying all the other teams, especially the good ones, will get him.

Why so?

Why couldn't THIS team sign him? I'll tell you why: Because this team's owner thinks Wade Phillips is the answer. McNair spent the big bucks. Now the Magic Man (Phillips) gets to wave his magic wand and transform it before our very eyes!

I am shocked. Kubiak told McNair that he could work with David Carr, and he gets the HC job. LOL. And Wade tells McNair that he can get it done without requiring a lot of additional personnel.

You gotta' admit, Kubiak must have told Wade eggzactly what to say in the interview. LOL. Nicely played, boys. You know how to get in daddy's ear and get what you want. And daddy is happy. So happy.

Well lets just hope there isn't too much in that quote. Afterall it doesn't say 'He doesn't need ANY changes' just not a lot of major upheaval. Which is true IMO. DT/NT is the area in the front 7 that needs the most attention. A impact corner, and cover safety.

Hopefully Wade is determined to get Nnamdi. Hopefully Kubiak is also wanting Wade knowing it would make the team better....afterall if this team thinks just a draft will get this defense back on the right track then they are in for a rude awakening......yet again.

ubecool454
01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
In addition to Nnamdi, Richard Seymour may be a unrestricted FA too...if we can grab both of them, cut Okoye and jacoby jones...we could trade out of the first round and save the first rounder draft picks money. If we can't get Seymour too then just hope that Fairley DT from Auburn is still on the board when we pick.

GP
01-09-2011, 09:02 PM
In addition to Nnamdi, Richard Seymour may be a unrestricted FA too...if we can grab both of them, cut Okoye and jacoby jones...we could trade out of the first round and save the first rounder draft picks money. If we can't get Seymour too then just hope that Fairley DT from Auburn is still on the board when we pick.

I like that idea.

But it's too traumatic of a move. It really is.

Slow and steady wins the race, remember?

Man, two slam-dunk defensive players at two spots that need it the most. Save the money on a first rounder's contract (especially since he will be at no. 11, IIRC).

I'd dump Jacoby. And I'd dump Okoye. Two project players dumped so that we can get two legitimate defensive players.

How could the financial aspects NOT work out? Anyone got possible pitfalls and ideas on why it wouldn't?

By the way, for the trolls out there, this is how you enter into "football talk" while also slinging some barbs and darts: You just mix in some actual football conversation with it all. It works. Try it.

GP
01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Well lets just hope there isn't too much in that quote. Afterall it doesn't say 'He doesn't need ANY changes' just not a lot of major upheaval. Which is true IMO. DT/NT is the area in the front 7 that needs the most attention. A impact corner, and cover safety.

Hopefully Wade is determined to get Nnamdi. Hopefully Kubiak is also wanting Wade knowing it would make the team better....afterall if this team thinks just a draft will get this defense back on the right track then they are in for a rude awakening......yet again.

I know. Nothing "traumatic." We just want an out-patient, day surgery type of fix. Because we're just right on the cusp of getting to the playoffs.

Look at ubecool's idea. Unless the financials would be totally off, we could rid ourselves the $ for Jacoby and Okoye and gain Seymour and Aso. Bam.

ubecool454
01-09-2011, 09:11 PM
The bad thing about Nnamdi O becoming a free agent is that probably every team that didn't make the playoffs are going to check into signing him. One good thing about it is that we have played the Raiders quite a few times in the past years and hopefully he sees a team that is in need of him and has a nice new stadium that doesn't have mold..lol. Maybe the stadium and can be a selling point to him. If he is only going to want Dunta money I say give it to him.....I didn't want to see Dunta go but this guy is better than Dunta and has much more range.

Wolf
01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I imagine if Wade came in and said " I have looked at 15 games of tape on the defense, they don't have much talent"

then some would ask"why did we hire him then if it is going to take some time to fix it"

as for the actual topic of the thread.

man it would be nice, but what are the other CB's that are becoming FA?

any of them give us some bang for the buck?

JB
01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
I imagine if Wade came in and said " I have looked at 15 games of tape on the defense, they don't have much talent"

then some would ask"why did we hire him then if it is going to take some time to fix it"

I think that Joseph out of Cinci would be a nice pick up. I think that one of the Carolina CB's may be available. Not sure who else will be available.

fiasco west
01-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I know. Nothing "traumatic." We just want an out-patient, day surgery type of fix. Because we're just right on the cusp of getting to the playoffs.

Look at ubecool's idea. Unless the financials would be totally off, we could rid ourselves the $ for Jacoby and Okoye and gain Seymour and Aso. Bam.

That would be fantastic. I'd be ecstatic with just one. getting rid of Okoye would be good.

The bad thing about Nnamdi O becoming a free agent is that probably ever team that didn't make the playoffs are going to check into signing him. One good thing aobut it is that we have played the Raiders quite a few times in the past years and hopefully he sees a team that is in need of him and has a nice new stadium that doesn't have mold..lol. Maybe the stadium and can be a selling point to him. If he is only going to want Dunta money I say give it to him.....I didn't want to see Dunta go but this guy is better than Dunta and has much more range.

Idk how much a selling point this is (because i obviously don't know the extent of their friendship. Plus i'm sure Nnamdi has other friends in the NFL lol) but Andre and Nnamdi are friends. Hopefully Andre could pull a Dwade and convince him to come here.

MFG16
01-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Wasn't it reported around the trade deadline that the Texans were on Aso's radar of teams he would play for?

McNair, Please get this done. This would bring instant credibility to the Texans defense, and take away half of the field. An Aso and Allen combo at CB would be beastly.

DX-TEX
01-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Agreed! The only FA I thought we should have gone after in the past was Turner, but given their system I can understand why they passed. This is a completely different animal. This guy is ultra elite, in his prime, a stand up guy and fills a HUGE position of need. He should be given the full court press by our FO. It would go a long way towards showing McNair is serious about building a championship team

Lets not forget McNairs desire for character over abilities. Aso has both.

edo783
01-09-2011, 10:47 PM
With the uncertainty with the CBA and what the cap will be after that is done, I doubt many if any team will be willing to toss out a huge deal at this time. You could get on the wrong side of the dollars and cripple the team for years. Now, could some sort of agreement be put together that has an out clause or modification clause based on CAP to get it at least partially done. This is going to be a VERY expensive deal to do and as good as Aso is now, he is 30 ...... time is short while at the top of the game and you might be spending a great deal of money for what he DID and not for what he will DO.

FlyingTexan
01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
We need him. We need him bad. And we should do anything to get him.

ubecool454
01-09-2011, 11:08 PM
I think that Joseph out of Cinci would be a nice pick up. I think that one of the Carolina CB's may be available. Not sure who else will be available.

The only one of Carolinas' CBs that would be worth having is Gamble and he is not going anywhere. He just got resigned the same year we tagged Dunta. Richard Marshall may be available but he is not really what you want since we are committed to let Kareem Jackson learn and get better. They have Captain Munnerlyn but he is still RFA and is small but, I would love to have him as a kick returner.

ubecool454
01-09-2011, 11:10 PM
We need him. We need him bad. And we should do anything to get him.

Do you get the feeling that we will drop the ball on this FA too?:vincepalm:

Lucky
01-09-2011, 11:42 PM
...since we are committed to let Kareem Jackson learn and get better.
Shouldn't the Texans be committed to winning, rather than letting guys learn & get better? That's expansion thinking.

7 threads started on the Nnamdi free agency. Only one emanated from the correct forum.

Htownsportsfan
01-09-2011, 11:42 PM
[B]I am shocked. Kubiak told McNair that he could work with David Carr, and he gets the HC job. LOL. And Wade tells McNair that he can get it done without requiring a lot of additional personnel.

I can live with the statement as long as the additional personnel required are mostly in the back half of the D. I am being foolishly optimistic but I am hoping his point was he has Ryans, Cushing, Williams and Smith along with some other good role players to run his scheme. In a perfect world we could add LB, NT and secondary hope but I will settle for serious secondary help!

One thing about Wade that I didnt see for Bush at all last year. Wade understands defense and how to scheme to cover up some of his squads weaker parts. No way in hell would he have waited 12 weeks into the season to start bringing pressure and scheming to get his guys on the back end some help.

I cant imagine what he could do if he knew he had a shut down guy on one side!

GP
01-09-2011, 11:54 PM

You don't get the job here unless you tell McNair that you can "make do" with what you have.

Worked for Kubiak. Worked for Phillips.

Patterns.

Why is this such a hard thing to understand? Wade Phillips is not about to tell McNair that he's screwed on talent. Oh, so McNair is going to sign Phillips to a fat contract and then ALSO be told by his new, fat-cat d-coord he needs to shell out more bucks for better talent? Riiiiiiight.....

Which is exactly why Aso isn't on our radar. Phillips can't very well request McNair to sign Aso.

The type of sack it would take to sign Aso isn't going to grow on McNair until about 3 or 4 years from now.

1. Weak expansion draft, the "take it in the ass and like it" job the Jags gave us? Check.

2. A better HC in Kubiak after four years of Capers? Check.

3. One last year of David Carr, due to "Trauma" avoidance by McNair? Check.

4. Lack of a true, intensive search for a true d-coord? Check.

5. Trauma avoidance, again, in the inability to fire Kubiak? Check.

6. Hiring of a better d-coord? Check.

7. Signing of a true, big-name veteran (on either side of the ball)? Not there yet.

This is what I call "piecing out the project." Baby steps.

McNair is the guy who buys $1800 worth of various components to build his own big screen projection TV...when all he had to do is buy the $1200 HDTV at Sam's Club.

Not because he has Jerry Jones syndrome (Wants to be THE reason why the team is a success). No, it's because Bob truly believes that he can baby-step his way to long-lasting success. He doesn't want to displace anybody on his payroll. It'd be like having a government job working for Bob.

infantrycak
01-10-2011, 10:39 AM
You don't get the job here unless you tell McNair that you can "make do" with what you have.

Worked for Kubiak. Worked for Phillips.

Phillips was already hired when these comments were made. McNair was relaying what Phillips told him after coming in and watching game film after being hired. You're taking a blah nothing statement which essentially equates to "we don't have to tear apart the whole D" and twisting it into no changes will be made.

As to Nnamdi he is not the only CB out there and a responsible owner will weigh the options. If Nnamdi is going to cost $17 mil and I can get Champ and Brent Grimes for a total of $17 then I think the smart move is the latter and it isn't being cheap.

HoustonFrog
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
As people said above, the new cap under the CBA will be the big factor. "Cash light" teams will have the best shot. Overall there is talk in the Pitt locker room(according to LZ) that Ike Taylor would come here. Not a great cover guy. Champ is older. As I said, you might not have the cash for Iso, so you hope to get at least a vet who can improve you to the middle of the pack and have some staying power.

Kulluminatii
01-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Former Raiders beat writer David White believes impending free agent Nnamdi Asomugha will end up with the Jets or Packers.

"I know him well. ... Mark it down," said White. After playing for the Raiders for eight seasons, White says Asomugha wants to play for a proven winner. White added that the shutdown corner has said he'd like to play for Jets coach Rex Ryan and his best friend is Packers corner Charles Woodson. Asomugha will draw interest from virtually every team in the league as the best defensive player available, but fitting him under the new CBA's salary cap is another story altogether.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=779

Dutchrudder
01-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Is Aso a free agent right now and can sign with a playoff team, or does he have to wait until March XX to sign?

Brisco_County
01-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Not exactly a fair precedent to compare this to. Schobel didn't bring his A game.

ArlingtonTexan
01-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Is Aso a free agent right now and can sign with a playoff team, or does he have to wait until March XX to sign?

My understanding is that he will have to wait until the new CBA is signed.

Kulluminatii
01-10-2011, 11:13 AM

I think until the CBA is settled, he can't sign with any team.

HOU-TEX
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Come on, Wolf. Most fans don't want the more realistic bang for your buck players. They want the most expensive players at every position and if it doesn't happen they freak out. :)

houstonspartan
01-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Not exactly a fair precedent to compare this to. Schobel didn't bring his A game.

Correct. Schobel showed up fat and uninterested. It wasn't the Texans fault he didn't want to play anymore.

infantrycak
01-10-2011, 11:49 AM
My understanding is that he will have to wait until the new CBA is signed.

Which is going to drive people around here bat shit crazy if there are no moves made until July or whenever.

Ole Miss Texan
01-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Former Raiders beat writer David White believes impending free agent Nnamdi Asomugha will end up with the Jets or Packers.

"I know him well. ... Mark it down," said White. After playing for the Raiders for eight seasons, White says Asomugha wants to play for a proven winner. White added that the shutdown corner has said he'd like to play for Jets coach Rex Ryan and his best friend is Packers corner Charles Woodson. Asomugha will draw interest from virtually every team in the league as the best defensive player available, but fitting him under the new CBA's salary cap is another story altogether.

I believe how Free Agency is right now, teams that make the playoffs (Jets and Packers) will have an extremely hard time signing a top-notch player like Asomugha. The new rules are something to the effect: a Playoff team can only sign one unrestricted free agent for each one they lost. Additionally, they must sign that player to a contract similar to one of their departing UFA and there are limits on annual increases. The Jets and Packers both won their games so they are in "The Final Eight" to which this effects. The teams that lost in the Wild Card round still have restrictions.

Now the catch is, when they agree to a new CBA will these free agency restrictions still apply? That's the catch and I havn't heard one way or another how the players/owners are leaning on this issue.

So Nnamdi going to ANY team that is still in the playoffs at this stage is highly unlikely unless he takes a SUBSTANTIAL pay decrease or the new CBA eliminates this rule. We're talking a decrease of 8 figures of guaranteed money.

If we want Nnamdi (which we all agree we do) IMO it will take more than Revis money. A ballpark contract this year for Nnamdi will probably be around 5 year $60MM with $40MM guaranteed, if not more. I still say we do it.

However, this is really important. Would you rather have Asomugha for that price or... 2 players like Ike Taylor at CB and Champ Bailey at FS for the same combined price as Nnamdi. That's what Rick Smith will be debating.

FirstTexansFan
01-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Would you rather have Asomugha for that price or... 2 players like Ike Taylor at CB and Champ Bailey at FS for the same combined price as Nnamdi. That's what Rick Smith will be debating.

It's not my money, I want all three of them :)

infantrycak
01-10-2011, 11:59 AM
It's not my money, I want all three of them :)

There isn't going to be a season without a new CBA and there will be a cap with a new CBA.

Dutchrudder
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
There isn't going to be a season without a new CBA and there will be a cap with a new CBA.

And if that cap turns out to be retroactive, we will be screwed. All the money we gave to AJ and Ryans will likely push us over the limit.

Thorn
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Which is going to drive people around here bat shit crazy if there are no moves made until July or whenever.

Most folks around here are already bat shit crazy. LOL

Mr teX
01-10-2011, 12:33 PM
The front office/mcnair bashing is so moot & if the texans don't land him it will be no major indictment on them not wanting to go out & get good FA's.

Bottom line is, It takes 2 to tango & if Nmandi doesn't want to come here, he doesn't want to come here. Contrary to popular belief, there are more popular teams & better situations he could go to & get top dollar. i mean really, have none of you learned from the chris bosh situation?

HoustonFrog
01-10-2011, 05:28 PM
If you go to Evan's Twitter he is debating this point with Texans Chick. So we will see

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

evansilva Evan Silva
Oakland Trib calls the Texans perhaps the "most likely team to write a gigantic check" for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha http://bit.ly/eFEmxw
55 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2011/01/10/where-will-nnamdi-go/

2_Houston Texans

Houston hired Wade Phillips to turn around the defense, more specifically the NFL’s 32nd ranked pass defense. Yes, Asomugha wants to play for a winner and the Texans have never made the post season. The problem this season wasn’t a very good offense, but a pass defense that surrendered 33 touchdown passes and a staggering 100.6 passer rating for opposing quartebacks.

Might be the team most likely to write a gigantic check.

Ole Miss Texan
01-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I want us to sign him so bad. If we don't get him it's not the end of the world, but I really want him on the Texans. I at least want to see us being aggressive and showing a lot of interest. The worst that could happen is we drive up the price the other team has to pay.

JCTexan
01-10-2011, 06:01 PM

I question those two signing Nnamdi. Will the Jets be willing to spend the cash for Asomugha considering Revis is the highest paid CB in the league and Aso is likely going to want to be right up there with him as the highest? I doubt he goes to the Jets unless he takes less money.

Green Bay has Charles Woodson who is making 55 Million over five years & Tramon Williams is locked in for the next five years at 38 Million. If they sign Aso that would be one expensive secondary.

Houston needs him more & will likely dish out way more money on Asomugha than either of those teams.

ArlingtonTexan
01-10-2011, 06:09 PM
The front office/mcnair bashing is so moot & if the texans don't land him it will be no major indictment on them not wanting to go out & get good FA's.

Bottom line is, It takes 2 to tango & if Nmandi doesn't want to come here, he doesn't want to come here. Contrary to popular belief, there are more popular teams & better situations he could go to & get top dollar. i mean really, have none of you learned from the chris bosh situation?

This is not just a Houston fans thing. Overall, fans understand "free will" in their lives, but not in athletes.

Ole Miss Texan
01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I question those two signing Nnamdi. Will the Jets be willing to spend the cash for Asomugha considering Revis is the highest paid CB in the league and Aso is likely going to want to be right up there with him as the highest? I doubt he goes to the Jets unless he takes less money.

Green Bay has Charles Woodson who is making 55 Million over five years & Tramon Williams is locked in for the next five years at 38 Million. If they sign Aso that would be one expensive secondary.

Houston needs him more & will likely dish out way more money on Asomugha than either of those teams.
It was rumored Champ Bailey and the Broncos were close to a 4 year $44 Million deal during the season (Nov. '10?) but DEN backed out. Darrelle Revis signed a 4 year $46 Million deal (Sept. '10?). So you have to assume that the floor price is there. If California/Florida taught us anything it's that Real Estate prices always go up, right? :facepalm: Well, same applies for NFL contracts until the CBA messes everything up.

JCTexan
01-10-2011, 06:27 PM
It was rumored Champ Bailey and the Broncos were close to a 4 year $44 Million deal during the season (Nov. '10?) but DEN backed out. Darrelle Revis signed a 4 year $46 Million deal (Sept. '10?). So you have to assume that the floor price is there. If California/Florida taught us anything it's that Real Estate prices always go up, right? :facepalm: Well, same applies for NFL contracts until the CBA messes everything up.

Yeah, it's a guarantee that the prices will go up. My main point though is that I don't see teams like the Jets or Packers having the two highest paid corners in the game. It's the main reason I doubt the Texans will ever be in the market for Larry Fitzgerald. It's just too much money locked into one position on the field. Revis/Aso will likely be the two highest paid corners in the game, so I doubt the Jets will be true contenders for Asomugha. Do the Jets even need an upgrade in their secondary? Will the Packers be willing to spend so much money on Woodson-Williams-Asomugha? I just doubt it.

gary
01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
At this ponit in his career if I were Champ I'd be looking for a playoff ready team.

Ole Miss Texan
01-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah, it's a guarantee that the prices will go up. My main point though is that I don't see teams like the Jets or Packers having the two highest paid corners in the game. It's the main reason I doubt the Texans will ever be in the market for Larry Fitzgerald. It's just too much money locked into one position on the field. Revis/Aso will likely be the two highest paid corners in the game, so I doubt the Jets will be true contenders for Asomugha. Do the Jets even need an upgrade in their secondary? Will the Packers be willing to spend so much money on Woodson-Williams-Asomugha? I just doubt it.
I completely agree.

Kulluminatii
01-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Yeah, I seriously doubt the Jets will go for him, same with the Packers since both have so much money tied up. I can see Nnamdi taking less $ to go to a team that gives him the best chance to win a SB, but if that FA limit stays in the CBA and is passed he probably won't be able to go to any of the teams in the playoff right now unless he takes a serious pay cut. While Nnamdi is a class act guy, I don't think he's stupid either :D.

I think the two Texas teams have the best chance to sign him. All it comes down to now is which team can convince Nnamdi they will be in the playoffs next year.

gary
01-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Nnamdi and Champ are both going to be free agents I would sign both of them and then let Champ play FS and start Quinn and Aso at CB.

TexCanada
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Nnamdi and Champ are both going to be free agents I would sign both of them and then let Champ play FS and start Quinn and Aso at CB.

I think that would cost way too much money to get both. I would hope that we present a case to Aso as to why he should sign here, even if it is unlikely that he would choose us. Stranger things have happened.

gary
01-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I think that would cost way too much money to get both. I would hope that we present a case to Aso as to why he should sign here, even if it is unlikely that he would choose us. Stranger things have happened.
It is just what I'd like to see happen.

Hervoyel
01-10-2011, 10:31 PM

And that pretty much describes anything at all Houston Texans related that might cause a fan to get his or her hopes up. "Nice discussion but it ain't happening" can be said about almost anything you might have gotten excited about going back to the second game of the 2002 season.

If the Texans as a franchise died tomorrow "Nice discussion but it ain't happening" would go on their tombstone.

edo783
01-10-2011, 10:42 PM
No one will be doing ANYTHING until the CBA is done and the CAP is agreed on. They can't even talk to players til the CBA is done and to make any player an offer before you know how much you can spend would be really stupid.

burro
01-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I would love to have Nnamdi on the roster for next year. I would also love a new car, a 10 mil a year position with a reputable company, and and a house in Champion's Forest.

Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other, so they say.

Lucky
01-11-2011, 12:40 AM
However, this is really important. Would you rather have Asomugha for that price or... 2 players like Ike Taylor at CB and Champ Bailey at FS for the same combined price as Nnamdi. That's what Rick Smith will be debating.
First, Rick Smith has as about as much say in that decision as you or I do. Second, hell yes I take Asomugha. Asomugha dictates where an offense goes with the ball. He's a game changer. Taylor is JAG and Bailey is a very questionable conversion.

VTexan
01-11-2011, 03:02 AM

http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/my-body-is-ready.png

BigBull17
01-11-2011, 08:22 AM
At this ponit in his career if I were Champ I'd be looking for a playoff ready team.

We have holes, but if we signed both he and Aso, we would instantly be a team to be reckoned with.

TimeKiller
01-11-2011, 09:14 AM

................so all it would take is money?

Sigh.....a front 7 with guys like Mario, Smith, Cushing, Barwin and Ryans deserves a secondary that includes Asomugha.

Hell, you might even get away with putting Pollard's all attitude/no coverage skillz ass behind him. Well......maybe if they drafted a FS too...

silvrhand
01-11-2011, 10:12 AM

................so all it would take is money?

Sigh.....a front 7 with guys like Mario, Smith, Cushing, Barwin and Ryans deserves a secondary that includes Asomugha.

Hell, you might even get away with putting Pollard's all attitude/no coverage skillz ass behind him. Well......maybe if they drafted a FS too...

We have more needs than a single cornerback that is going to kill our cap.

TheCD
01-11-2011, 11:06 AM
First, Rick Smith has as about as much say in that decision as you or I do. Second, hell yes I take Asomugha. Asomugha dictates where an offense goes with the ball. He's a game changer. Taylor is JAG and Bailey is a very questionable conversion.

On top of that, I wish people would read what Champ said.

He stated that he wants to play cornerback for another 3-4 years and get paid top corner money. After that, in 4-5 years he said he would take a pay cut and switch to safety to be able to keep playing longer.

Champ Bailey as a FS is a pipe dream right now, people. As a corner, however, that would be another story.

TheRealJoker
01-11-2011, 04:31 PM
We have more needs than a single cornerback that is going to kill our cap.

You say that only because we have never tried adding the best player instead of adding several average players for the price of one. You add Aso and suddenly what we already have doesn't seem so bad. Maybe Wade was right... we don't need a lot of personnel changes on defense. We have enough ordinary players on that side of the ball. We just need a true gamechanger on the backend.

ThruThick&Thin
01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I posted a thread a couple of days ago, but I guess the moderators had some logic as to why people's "Perfect season" and "Why are we switching to 3-4?" are more important posts than something that isn't theorycraft.

Nnamdi Asomugha's injury prevented him from improving on his interceptions and other stats (besides the fact that nobody wants to throw his way!), and that initiated a void on his contract with the Raiders. This means he's available for any potential suitors this offseason!

Do you think the Texans would spring for a proven CB like himself? I mean if you sign him, then you can draft front 7 type players in the 1st 2 rounds. I know in the past our organization hasn't made moves like this, but maybe Wade will get in Bob's ear? :doot:

CretorFrigg
01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Don't take it personally. Your thread was probably deleted because there were many duplicates written about Asomugha, and it was in the wrong section.

Judging from the Texans' history, it seems unlikely we're going to pursue and sign a premier FA. The general consensus is that Rick Smith takes a fairly conservative approach towards free agents. The mantra has been to build through the draft. However, teams like the Jets have disproved that theory.

I'd LOVE to see Asomugha in a Texan's uniform though. Unfortunately, there are numerous other teams vying for him and signing him is very unlikely. There have been rumors saying that Nnamdi wants to play for a proven team and win a superbowl ring; we're already at a disadvantage if those rumors prove to be true.

JB
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Why are you calling out the mods for the other thread?

kiwitexansfan
01-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Question is as much would a premier FA want to come here.

If people think we are ready to contend we'll see the quality of player we sign increase.

Till then we will overpay for less than great players.

ArlingtonTexan
01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
One of the goals when we close or merge threads is to keep the same or similar topics together. There were about 8 to 10 Nnamdi Asomugha threads on the day it was announced that he was a free agent. We want to have your say, but often it does not take a new thread to say it in.

Also, until a free agent is linked to the Texans by "legtimate" source versus fans specualtion those threads are kept in the NFL section versus Texans section simply because the player in question is not a Texans and fans are merely speculating (hoping) that said player becomes one.

We are not perfect in regards to either of these but that is the goal at least.

Hope this helps and welcome to the board.

TheCD
01-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I would just like to know we went after Nnamdi. I think the chances of him signing here aren't very good. PFT had an article stating that he would like to play for the Jets (kill me now) or the Packers.

However, if we could make a play at Champ for CB then I would be very happy that we got one of the two great CBs on the market.

TexanSam
01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
One of the goals when we close or merge threads is to keep the same or similar topics together. There were about 8 to 10 Nnamdi Asomugha threads on the day it was announced that he was a free agent. We want to have your say, but often it does not take a new thread to say it in.

Also, until a free agent is linked to the Texans by "legtimate" source versus fans specualtion those threads are kept in the NFL section versus Texans section simply because the player in question is not a Texans and fans are merely speculating (hoping) that said player becomes one.

We are not perfect in regards to either of these but that is the goal at least.

Hope this helps and welcome to the board.

So is there a legitimate source saying he's linked to the Texans since it's on the Texans section of the board? Please say yes!!

EDIT: Damn!

ThruThick&Thin
01-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I would just like to know we went after Nnamdi. I think the chances of him signing here aren't very good. PFT had an article stating that he would like to play for the Jets (kill me now) or the Packers.

However, if we could make a play at Champ for CB then I would be very happy that we got one of the two great CBs on the market.

I saw that crap about the Jets and the Pack... sucks. I'm not too heart broken though. I think I just got excited that somehow the dumba$$es in OAK had somehow lost their top notch CB lol

I'm sure there are/will be 5-10 CB's that will be available that would upgrade our secondary by a whole "letter grade"

steelbtexan
01-11-2011, 06:19 PM
I like that idea.

But it's too traumatic of a move. It really is.

Slow and steady wins the race, remember?

Man, two slam-dunk defensive players at two spots that need it the most. Save the money on a first rounder's contract (especially since he will be at no. 11, IIRC).

I'd dump Jacoby. And I'd dump Okoye. Two project players dumped so that we can get two legitimate defensive players.

How could the financial aspects NOT work out? Anyone got possible pitfalls and ideas on why it wouldn't?

By the way, for the trolls out there, this is how you enter into "football talk" while also slinging some barbs and darts: You just mix in some actual football conversation with it all. It works. Try it.

I like his idea too.

With two 2nd Rd picks after trading out of the 1 st rd. You could probably get 2 of the following 3 player in the 2nd rd. OLB Moch,DT Ellis,S Carter. Adding these guys plus getting ASO and Seymour and you would have a much improved defense.

You could even use your 2nd/3rd rd picks to trade up and get all 3 of these guys.

Moves like this would energize the fan base. But it would require $$$$ and thinking outside the box. This is something you can never accuse BoB,Gary and Rick of doing. Why? Because moving and shaking would be too traumatic. LOL

GP
01-11-2011, 10:31 PM
No one will be doing ANYTHING until the CBA is done and the CAP is agreed on. They can't even talk to players til the CBA is done and to make any player an offer before you know how much you can spend would be really stupid.

Schefter tweeted same thing. Said nothing will be done until new CBA.

Messy stuff.

Shaft75
01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Quick, let's scare him away by tweeting him to death.

:strangle:

GP
01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Quick, let's scare him away by tweeting him to death.

:strangle:

I was a part of the great Leigh Bodden Tweet-a-thon.

Never again.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe it shouldn't be attempted until we've actually signed the guy? I think so.

Dutchrudder
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
I was a part of the great Leigh Bodden Tweet-a-thon.

Never again.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe it shouldn't be attempted until we've actually signed the guy? I think so.

That was all Steph's fault, she started the idea. Blame her for scaring him away so he couldn't go on our IR list.

GP
01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
That was all Steph's fault, she started the idea. Blame her for scaring him away so he couldn't go on our IR list.

I got up in the heat of the moment. A chance at what was perceived to be a better CB off a talented team is what sucked me in.

The whole time, though, I was like "Hmmm....don't we always get used as leverage by free agents?" I was never truly hopeful he'd get here. Reality kicked in pretty quick. I mean, why leave the Patriots? For Houston. LOL.

By the way, I finally researched your screen name. Disgusting. Does it count if I hold my own unit, and use my other arm to steer the rudder? I think that's how an Aggie goes about performing a dutch rudder. LOL.

MFG16
01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Nnamdi is at ESPN today, and Its disgusting. First Mike Greenberg begging him to go to the Jets, then random NY homers telling him to go to the Jets. The only person I agreed with was Bayless. :kubepalm: Id rather him stay In Oakland than go to the Jets.

TheCD
01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
By the way, I finally researched your screen name. Disgusting. Does it count if I hold my own unit, and use my other arm to steer the rudder? I think that's how an Aggie goes about performing a dutch rudder. LOL.

No it doesn't. But as Zack and Miri Make a Porno shows, you could go Double Dutch and share with someone else.

HoustonFrog
05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/204326/football-headlines?r=1

SI.com's Peter King lists the Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, Lions, and Jets as the teams most likely to pursue free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.
"But the Jets ONLY if there's not going to be a salary cap in 2011," adds King. ESPN's Adam Schefter also listed Philly and Dallas as primary suitors, along with the Redskins and Ravens. Baltimore seems likely to bow out after picking up Jimmy Smith, and Houston isn't expected to pursue heavily. If handicapping, we'd take the NFC East against the rest of the field

False Start
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I think it will be the Eagles, or the Girls, hes not coming here.

Hervoyel
05-10-2011, 11:23 PM
There's a man out there who could make a real difference here. Nobody wants to overpay for a player but from time to time almost everyone does. This man is possibly the closest thing to a "sure thing" that any of us have ever seen and the Texans will not aggressively pursue him.

Get a price, pay it, and stop worrying about fixing the secondary for most of the next decade or..... just keep doing the kind of crap you always do guys. I'm sure this will work out now that Wade's here.

Texecutioner
05-11-2011, 12:11 AM

The Texans could really learn a thing from the Eagles. Sure, they haven't won a SB, but boy they sure have found a way to stay successful in the toughest division in the NFL year after year. They might have a bad year every now and then, but they've bounced back the very next year in the last ten years. They've gone from Mcnabb to Garcia back to Mcnabb then to Kolb and Vick and have stayed as one of the NFC conference threats year after year. The Eagles are constantly big players in free agency and in making trades every off season as well so they never have to "rely" on an excellent draft like the Texans do in order to try and take that next step that we still have yet to actually take.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
The Texans could really learn a thing from the Eagles. Sure, they haven't won a SB, but boy they sure have found a way to stay successful in the toughest division in the NFL year after year. They might have a bad year every now and then, but they've bounced back the very next year in the last ten years. They've gone from Mcnabb to Garcia back to Mcnabb then to Kolb and Vick and have stayed as one of the NFC conference threats year after year. The Eagles are constantly big players in free agency and in making trades every off season as well so they never have to "rely" on an excellent draft like the Texans do in order to try and take that next step that we still have yet to actually take.

It has been said that if you live by the sword you die by the sword. Similarly, if you live by the draft, you die by the draft. There is no better example of this than the usually moribund Texans. Message to Texans.........Since you have yet to learn how to handle the sword with any consistency, invest in a shield!

HoustonFrog
05-11-2011, 10:42 AM

After the way Jerry laid low in FA the last few years I didn't expect them to go after him but the draft was notoriously lacking in any CB help with their picks so that leads me to believe that they will look at him and safety help. He even said he trusts Ryan to run the defense and that they will look at FAs.

BigBull17
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
It's sad that even if the Texans made a run at him, which they wont, there is no way he'll come here. They should have traded for him. This is NOT a peak FA landing place.

Corrosion
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM
It's sad that even if the Texans made a run at him, which they wont, there is no way he'll come here. They should have traded for him. This is NOT a peak FA landing place.

He very well may end up here in Houston.

gtexan02
05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
There's a man out there who could make a real difference here. Nobody wants to overpay for a player but from time to time almost everyone does. This man is possibly the closest thing to a "sure thing" that any of us have ever seen and the Texans will not aggressively pursue him.

Get a price, pay it, and stop worrying about fixing the secondary for most of the next decade or..... just keep doing the kind of crap you always do guys. I'm sure this will work out now that Wade's here.

Aso is 29. How long do CBs usually remain relevant? Bailey is 32 and has already started to decline significantly compared to his previous "lockdown" status

I know RB is 30, but when DBs are concerned, I dont really know the longevity

HOU-TEX
05-11-2011, 12:33 PM
He very well may end up here in Houston.

As an opponent?

Hervoyel
05-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Aso is 29. How long do CBs usually remain relevant? Bailey is 32 and has already started to decline significantly compared to his previous "lockdown" status

And yet Bailey will probably play at a higher level for the next two years than anyone who has ever worn a Texans jersey other than Aaron Glenn who left here at 32, played 5 more years, and then retired at 37.

For most of those 5 years he was probably better than most of the DB's on our roster.

Not every player is going to play well for a long time but Aso, barring injury looks like a guy who could probably start for you for 5+ years. Maybe I was a little overenthusiastic in saying "most of a decade" but he's still someone we could sign and who I would not be upset about paying big bucks for.

But we won't because we're on the right track and we don't need a shut down corner. We'll just develop one of our own here.... eventually.

Texecutioner
05-11-2011, 01:27 PM
As an opponent?

Unfortunately that's the only way he lands here, because Bob has already stated that we won't pay for Aso.

Mr teX
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Whoa there slick..1 good cb does not a secondary make. For as good as Aso has been any decent qb could still pick that raiders secondary apart pretty much at will...I know Schaub hasn't had much trouble with them over the years. So while i would love to get him here, we wouldn't be able to stop the bolded..furthermore you don't need a shut down cb per se, just competent ones.

HoustonFrog
05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Whoa there slick..1 good cb does not a secondary make. For as good as Aso has been any decent qb could still pick that raiders secondary apart pretty much at will...I know Schaub hasn't had much trouble with them over the years. So while i would love to get him here, we wouldn't be able to stop the bolded..furthermore you don't need a shut down cb per se, just competent ones.

Not according to teams that have/had Deion, Revis, etc. A shutdown guy locks one half of the field, allowing safety coverage and everybody else to shadow the other side. The Raiders pass defense was #2 last year. #7 the year before. So yeah, it kind of does make a difference. The Raiders issue was getting run on year after year.

badboy
05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
7 year $105 million contract with first 3 years guaranteed and $25m upfront. The contract is back end loaded and last two he has to make team to get. $25m over 7 years is chicken feed against cap and you pay him $30 m first two years. He gets $40m first year and cap hit is $15 + apprx $3 which is a bit over what Oakland had him for this coming year. After starting against the opponents best WR for 5 years, he can move to nickle or dime or cut him.

Mr teX
05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Not according to teams that have/had Deion, Revis, etc. A shutdown guy locks one half of the field, allowing safety coverage and everybody else to shadow the other side. The Raiders pass defense was #2 last year. #7 the year before. So yeah, it kind of does make a difference. The Raiders issue was getting run on year after year.

Not saying it wouldn't make a difference, just saying we'd be far from still worrying about our secondary....especially in a division with Peyton Manning.

infantrycak
05-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Well kind of. The Cowboys had some other contributors like Darren Woodson (5 time pro-bowler) and Brock Marion (3 time pro-bowler).

DonnyMost
05-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I read a stat the other day that said over the last few years of Nnamdi's career, he's been thrown at less than twice per game.

That is insane respect.

False Start
05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
I still in the back of my mind hold out a slight hope that he may come to play for the Texans. I just think back to Nate Clements signing with the 49ers when they weren't worth a damn. It was all about the money with that deal obviously, so maybe, just maybe that could happen here. I doubt it though, so I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

badboy
05-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I still in the back of my mind hold out a slight hope that he may come to play for the Texans. I just think back to Nate Clements signing with the 49ers when they weren't worth a damn. It was all about the money with that deal obviously, so maybe, just maybe that could happen here. I doubt it though, so I'm not gonna get my hopes up.where is the fun in that?

Tailgate
05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Get Steve Smith, Nnamdi Asomugha, and Eric Weddle in here and we are good to go!!! :turtle:

drs23
05-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Get Steve Smith, Nnamdi Asomugha, and Eric Weddle in here and we are good to go!!! :turtle:

What a coup that would be! Call me nieve but I think that would take us deep into January/February. Does that sound Homerish? :dancer:

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
What a coup that would be! Call me nieve but I think that would take us deep into January/February. Does that sound Homerish? :dancer:

No it doesn't!:handshake:

Texecutioner
05-11-2011, 06:44 PM

No, even I would be on the SB bandwagon with confidence if they did that. :texanbill:

Dutchrudder
05-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Which Steve Smith? Carolina or NYG?

gary
05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Get Steve Smith, Nnamdi Asomugha, and Eric Weddle in here and we are good to go!!! :turtle:Would that be the Texans version of the big three?

False Start
05-11-2011, 07:48 PM
[/B]where is the fun in that?

You're right. lol

I just don't want to get too excited thinking that it could be strong possibility. It would be like going on a blind date, being told shes drop dead gorgeous, and then when she shows up she weighs 3 bills, has buck teeth, and is wearing a belly shirt. :hankpalm:

Thorn
05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
With all this talk about McNair being so damn cheap, maybe we should get him to run for President. :)

gary
05-11-2011, 08:21 PM
With all this talk about McNair being so damn cheap, maybe we should get him to run for President. :)In a complete 180 first order of business is to make his case for international aid and then rule the owners winners.

Txn_in_Oki
05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
You're right. lol

It would be like going on a blind date, being told shes drop dead gorgeous, and then when she shows up she weighs 3 bills, has buck teeth, and is wearing a belly shirt. :hankpalm:

:spit:

I'm hopeful that something happens this off season, at the very least make a decent run at some players. If not it would be nice if they would just come out and say they aren't rather than give us all this hope and then just snatch it away from us.

drs23
05-12-2011, 10:54 AM
No it doesn't!:handshake:

No, even I would be on the SB bandwagon with confidence if they did that. :texanbill:

Well by all means then, C'mon Bob, let's get it done!:whip:

CloakNNNdagger
05-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Pft:

despite a feeling in pittsburgh that ike taylor was likely to return to the team, florio credited a source recently that said taylor planned to test the free agent market.

Taylor made that strategy pretty clear during a wednesday appearance on jim rome is burning, saying he wouldn’t take a hometown discount.

“i need that market value. I work so hard,” taylor told rome. “i’ve been through so much, i feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, i feel like it’s my time to get my worth, in whatever city that’s in.”

the nine-year veteran was very pragmatic in the interview and hoped to stay in pittsburgh, but he knows the steelers track record with free agents well.

“i would love to [return to pittsburgh], but they usually sign player a year before [free agency], so we’ll see what happens,” taylor said.

Taylor could wind up getting big money from a team that falls short in the nnamdi asomugha sweepstakes.

gtexan02
05-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Translation: I'd really like Pittsburgh to pay me more than they are currently offering, so I'm going to see what the Texans would pay and then use that to leverage more money out of the team I'd like to play for.

badboy
05-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Translation: I'd really like Pittsburgh to pay me more than they are currently offering, so I'm going to see what the Texans would pay and then use that to leverage more money out of the team I'd like to play for.

Or sign with Pittsburgh for what has been offered regardless of what Texans offer.