PDA

View Full Version : McNair quotes

Texanator
01-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Just when you thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
This quote from Uncle Bob......
"And I talk a lot with (Dallas Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones. Jerry and I have a lot of common interests and look things in many ways in very similar ways."
:listening

CloakNNNdagger
01-09-2011, 09:18 AM
This is SCAREY! Please take a peak at HoustonFrog's thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1632399#post1632399) (in the NFL forum) on statements from Jerry Jones yesterday, and then see what you think about McNair's quote.:kubepalm::wadepalm:

ObsiWan
01-09-2011, 09:26 AM
This is SCAREY! Please take a peak at HoustonFrog's thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1632399#post1632399) (in the NFL forum) on statements from Jerry Jones yesterday, and then see what you think about McNair's quote.:kubepalm::wadepalm:
I tried to follow Jerry's diatribe and got a headache.

ArlingtonTexan
01-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Well the transparent nature of how both of them handled their latest coaching hire sure looked a lot alike.

Lucky
01-09-2011, 11:11 AM
When history looks back on the 90's Cowboys championships, they see a work created by Jimmy Johnson. That's disturbing to Jerry Jones. If he wins another Lombardi trophy, he wants the world to know who was responsible. That's why Jones wants his fingerprints all over his team and doesn't want a "football guy".

I don't know what Jones is telling McNair, but McNair doesn't seem to be listening. Dallas is on their 4th head coach since the Texans inception. Jones is not afraid of change. McNair is terrified of it.

DocBar
01-09-2011, 12:31 PM
When history looks back on the 90's Cowboys championships, they see a work created by Jimmy Johnson. That's disturbing to Jerry Jones. If he wins another Lombardi trophy, he wants the world to know who was responsible. That's why Jones wants his fingerprints all over his team and doesn't want a "football guy".

I don't know what Jones is telling McNair, but McNair doesn't seem to be listening. Dallas is on their 4th head coach since the Texans inception. Jones is not afraid of change. McNair is terrified of it.

I'll take McNair and checkered table clothes all day over Jerry Jones and his circus of glamour.
I go back and forth on Kubiak. He does some seriously stupid things, but I would sure hate to lose the offense he's given us. One more chance, if he doesn't improve, give him the boot. By that time, maybe Gruden and/or Cowher will be a little moreinterested in coaching and a little more reasonable at the negotiating table.

houstonspartan
01-09-2011, 12:54 PM

Read the book "Boys will be boys." It details the Cowboys of the 90s. That entire dynasty was built on the genius of Jimmy Johnson. Johnson was one of the best coaches to every work in football.

As for McNair-Jones, at the very least, Jerry Jones puts winning above all else. McNair does not.

Lucky
01-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Read the book "Boys will be boys."
My New Year's resolution is to read 25 books this year. I'll make that one of them.

steelbtexan
01-09-2011, 01:11 PM
My New Year's resolution is to read 25 books this year. I'll make that one of them.

It's a great book.

A must read even if you're not a Cowgirl fan. I gives you a clue as to the ruthlessness of Jerrah and the mindset of a marketing genius. In that respect BoB and Jerrah have alot in common.

DocBar
01-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Read the book "Boys will be boys." It details the Cowboys of the 90s. That entire dynasty was built on the genius of Jimmy Johnson. Johnson was one of the best coaches to every work in football.

As for McNair-Jones, at the very least, Jerry Jones puts winning above all else. McNair does not.

I'm not sure I agree with that. IMO, McNair is more interested in building a winner for the long term, not so much for making a knee-jerk, reactionary splash that might or might not result in good things for the franchise. Looking at the Cowgirls since the Texans have been in the league, it's hard to argue that all JJ cares about is winning. He likes headlines at least as much as winning.

IDEXAN
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
"And I talk a lot with (Dallas Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones. Jerry and I have a lot of common interests and look things in many ways in very similar ways."

I didn't know McNair was a bar fly ?

houstonspartan
01-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that. IMO, McNair is more interested in building a winner for the long term, not so much for making a knee-jerk, reactionary splash that might or might not result in good things for the franchise. Looking at the Cowgirls since the Texans have been in the league, it's hard to argue that all JJ cares about is winning. He likes headlines at least as much as winning.

I didn't say JJ has made good moves. But his heart is in the right place. Everyone knows that it doesn't take 6 years to turn a team around. But McNair does. That's a problem.

And, I'm tired of the "we are building for the long term" argument, as if Kubiak is some kind of future Bill Belichik. He's not. Using that theory, and considering how long Kubiak had had, he'd better guarantee a Super Bowl win next year. Right?

imatexan
01-09-2011, 02:09 PM

The title should be "McNair QUOTE", only one meaningless quote and no link.

DocBar
01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
I didn't say JJ has made good moves. But his heart is in the right place. Everyone knows that it doesn't take 6 years to turn a team around. But McNair does. That's a problem.

And, I'm tired of the "we are building for the long term" argument, as if Kubiak is some kind of future Bill Belichik. He's not. Using that theory, and considering how long Kubiak had had, he'd better guarantee a Super Bowl win next year. Right?

I think the Super Bowl is quite a reach, but I'd bet money that it's playoff or bust for Kubiak in '11.

houstonspartan
01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I think the Super Bowl is quite a reach, but I'd bet money that it's playoff or bust for Kubiak in '11.

No no. No more "just reaching the playoffs" talk. Considering the time given kubiak, a DEEP playoff run - if not a Super Bowl WIN - should be expected.

You can't have it both ways. If we are going to keep giving Kubiak chances, the bar should be raised.

And, wasn't the mantra "playoffs or bust" in 2010?

Dishman
01-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Wasn't this the mantra last year?

Which makes Kubiak almost Carr-like in that they were both held onto for at least one year too long. I guess that only makes sense when you also consider it's been said Kubiak needed to say he could fix Carr to seal the HC job.

The Pencil Neck
01-09-2011, 03:07 PM

Which makes Kubiak almost Carr-like in that they were both held onto for at least one year too long. I guess that only makes sense when you also consider it's been said Kubiak needed to say he could fix Carr to seal the HC job.

The "Bust" part was firing the defensive coordinator.

Not quite the "bust" part that a lot of fans were expecting or wanting.

Before the season started, I thought that Kubiak would keep his job as long as he finished 8-8 or better. Maybe even 7-9.

I didn't think he'd keep it at 6-10 or worse. But I was wrong. I think he would have been fired if more of losses weren't those last second flukes or if the team wasn't at least fighting back.

DocBar
01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
No no. No more "just reaching the playoffs" talk. Considering the time given kubiak, a DEEP playoff run - if not a Super Bowl WIN - should be expected.

You can't have it both ways. If we are going to keep giving Kubiak chances, the bar should be raised.

And, wasn't the mantra "playoffs or bust" in 2010?That was the mantra coming from some of the players, evidently not from McNair.

Which makes Kubiak almost Carr-like in that they were both held onto for at least one year too long. I guess that only makes sense when you also consider it's been said Kubiak needed to say he could fix Carr to seal the HC job. We can't know that til after the '11 season. I really hope you're wrong on that, though.

Texanator
01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
That's just plain Spooky Cloak. Good post!

Texanator
01-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Here you go IMATEXAN, sorry to so offend you grammatically. :kubepalm:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-McNair-on-coaching-changes-search-for-DC/7f2a79fa-f864-4ca2-801c-cf5d20a6cd76

steelbtexan
01-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Playoffs or bust

LOL

GP
01-09-2011, 03:26 PM
I liked the good old days, when you wouldn't intermingle with the enemy.

When you told your coaches and your team: It's us against the world.

We're soft on so many levels. LOL.

Texanator
01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm with you GP!

Wolf
01-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I liked the good old days, when you wouldn't intermingle with the enemy.

When you told your coaches and your team: It's us against the world.

We're soft on so many levels. LOL.

why are the Cowboys the enemy?(except when they play us) they are NFC

DocBar
01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
why are the Cowboys the enemy?(except when they play us) they are NFCBecause Houston has always played second fiddle to Dallas in the NFL. I doubt Dallas fans hate us asmuch as we hate them. Maybe if we win a few SB's, we can have a true rivalry.

Pantherstang84
01-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Because they are from Dallas.

Wolf
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
doesn't really bother me. I pull for Texas teams when they play out of state teams

Now when Dallas plays Houston then it is on.

I figure ,Dallas needs to worry about Philly,NY and Washington before Houston

Houston needs to worry about their own division,

But is is nice to have some bragging rights over the Cowboys ever 4 years (not really counting preseason)

GP
01-09-2011, 04:01 PM

We have 31 enemies, and this is what I am talking about: We have no friends in the NFL. It's us vs. everybody else.

This is the "soft" mentality I talk about.

If we had met the Cowboys in the reg season, oh wait..we did...and had cared to beat their brains out (we didn't, btw, because DeMeco and others were all trying to be cool and say that this was "just another game...") then that's one more win for us. We got our asses handed to us. Because we didn't have a proper mindset for the game.

If we meet them in the Super Bowl, then they are our enemies.

Any team we play is our enemy.

Sounds corny, but this team is soft. McNair was glad that other teams' owners came to him and patted his ass and told him how proud they were that we "came back" on the Ravens...I mean, WTF?!?!? Seriously, Bob? THAT is what makes you happy? LOL. We're the moral victory gang, I suppose. We're losers, but we win in other ways. Liberal Democrat bullshit like this is what weakens things. "We're all equal. We're all the same. Nobody is better than anybody else. Share with others, don't be greedy." OK, WTFE.

I don't want a mean owner. I want an owner who doesn't act like pansy-ass when he opens his mouth to the media. What he says, IMO, is a direct reflection of what this team is. Unable to assemble a coaching staff that is out for blood on game day.

This team's coaching staff and its philosophy, and how it affects the players, is what's wrong here. Nothing else. It's what keeps Kris Brown when he should have been cut after the MNF game vs. the Titans and replaced by anybody who has two legs. It's what keeps Steve Slaton returning kicks when he should be kept as far away from the field as possible, at all times.

Last year, I enjoyed watching the defense. I really did. When Cushing and Pollard started destroying people, I cared more to watch the defense than I did the offense. It was nice to see a savage mindset out there for once. Which is why it's so frustrating for the wheels to have fallen off on the defense this year. It took that away from me. All I had, now, was a bumbling offense that Arian Foster tried to single-handedly carry on his own shoulders.

31 other teams are our enemy. We need a little Peyton Manning in us. That dude, for as much as I dislike him, he absolutely HATES to lose and to even appear to be weak. He wants to score a TD with under 2 minutes to play, and he's up by three TDs already. Win, win, win. Beat their brains out. Make them hate you.

This is why the Colts won the division this year and we didn't. And this story has been a decade-long story. The same thing, over and over. We can't muster up the strength to dominate our opponents. We're soft.

DocBar
01-09-2011, 04:01 PM
doesn't really bother me. I pull for Texas teams when they play out of state teams

Now when Dallas plays Houston then it is on.

I figure ,Dallas needs to worry about Philly,NY and Washington before Houston

Houston needs to worry about their own division,

But is is nice to have some bragging rights over the Cowboys ever 4 years (not really counting preseason)

The only way I could ever pull for the Cowgirls is if my son played for them. Since he doesn't like playing football too much, I doubt that will ever happen.

imatexan
01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Here you go IMATEXAN, sorry to so offend you grammatically. :kubepalm:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-McNair-on-coaching-changes-search-for-DC/7f2a79fa-f864-4ca2-801c-cf5d20a6cd76

Thank you, now there is some substance.
:whoohoo:

HoustonFrog
01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Because Houston has always played second fiddle to Dallas in the NFL. I doubt Dallas fans hate us asmuch as we hate them. Maybe if we win a few SB's, we can have a true rivalry.

I've said this for 5 years here and can honestly say that for a majority...over 95%...of people in Dallas, Houston is not an enemy. Most of us my age..40...were watching the Cowboys in the mid 70s and were also cheering for the Oilers in the AFC. Weirdly, despite my time here, it has been tough to get into the Texans and alot of it is McNair and keeping with Carr and Kubes..JMO.

As I said in thread mentioned in here, I think the hiring of Garrett is good but expect Jerry do do something messed up to ruin it.

CloakNNNdagger
01-09-2011, 07:37 PM

As has been stated many times before. HE, and HE alone, must have the headlines if he wins in order to separate himself from the Johnson (and prior) era of winning Cowboys. I find it hard to accept that he can give up the headlines in return for winning that would be credited to someone else.

GuerillaBlack
01-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Well, Jerry Jones is winning so far. His team has made the playoffs multiple times and won a playoff game last year. The Texans have yet sniff the playoffs yet in nine years of football.

Joe Texan
01-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Bob McNair is nothing like the egotistical ***** Jerry Jones, And the Bozo's trying to make Bob Look like JJ need to stuff a sock in it. Bob leaves the football to the football people and Keeping Kubiak was done to keep from totally rebuilding a team that he has been building since day one. I bet you if we come out next year and lose 3 of 5 Gary gets canned during the season.

steelbtexan
01-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Bob McNair is nothing like the egotistical ***** Jerry Jones, And the Bozo's trying to make Bob Look like JJ need to stuff a sock in it. Bob leaves the football to the football people and Keeping Kubiak was done to keep from totally rebuilding a team that he has been building since day one. I bet you if we come out next year and lose 3 of 5 Gary gets canned during the season.

No team that has AJ,Matt,Arian,MW,Cush,Smith,Winston,Brown etc...

Will be totally rebuilding I dont care who the HC is. That's a total fallacy that the sunshine club has been trying to sell in order to defend Kubes getting to keep his job.

You could bring in Cowher or a HS coach to be HC and he wouldn't get rid of these guys and totally rebuild.

Carry On

BTW, Jerrah and BoB have one thing in common they have been able to market their franchises into top 5 $$$$ wise. Despite having a sucky product that was put on the field.

Runner
01-09-2011, 08:23 PM

3 and 2 or bust.*

Bust meaning to wait until the end of the year to evaluate, and then fire the offensive coordinator and offensive position coaches.

Joe Texan
01-09-2011, 08:25 PM
We would be rebuilding the head office and it would take a couple more years of seeing what the HC could do. I aint in no sunshine club so stick that thought up your backside. I believe in this team with a new coordinator we are on the right track and like I said Kubes is on a short leash to win.

steelbtexan
01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
When Kubiak fails after this yr. By your theory It will take 2 yrs to reach the playoffs. Am I correct that this is your assumption?

You realize that the Soapers that called for Kubiak to be fired instead of extended after the 2009. If BoB had followed the Soapers plan. Then by your own admission if a top notch HC was hired the Texans would be a playoff team in 2011.

If I'm right and Kubiak fails. Under your time frame 2013 will be the quickest that the Texans will be making the playoffs.

Can you see why the true Soapers (Steel B, Dex, SH etc...) wanted Kubiak fired after 2009. It will be 4 yrs after the call for Kubiaks head by the Soapers before there will be playoffs by your estimation. Instead of playoffs next yr by your estimation.

GuerillaBlack
01-09-2011, 08:56 PM
We would be rebuilding the head office and it would take a couple more years of seeing what the HC could do. I aint in no sunshine club so stick that thought up your backside. I believe in this team with a new coordinator we are on the right track and like I said Kubes is on a short leash to win.

This is Kubiak's freaking THIRD DC since his time as HC in Houston. For the past four years, HIS team has been 5-7 after 12 games. Don't know why we still kept him, but we did and will have to live with it. If Kubiak fails out of the gate next season (what I believe will happen, as usual), then Wade will become the interim HC and then named the HC after the season (with Cowher preparing another run at coaching next season, but we won't look at him...again because we're "improving"). And I could actually see McNair keeping Kubiak even if he fails next year. The excuse this time will be Wade didn't have enough time to implement his defense due to the lockout.

Meanwhile, the talents of Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Matt Schaub, Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, etc., will all start deteriorating as they get older and then the Texans will REALLY have to rebuild, when they could have just hired a competent HC this offseason and ran with it.

GP
01-09-2011, 08:56 PM
No team that has AJ,Matt,Arian,MW,Cush,Smith,Winston,Brown etc...

Will be totally rebuilding I dont care who the HC is. That's a total fallacy that the sunshine club has been trying to sell in order to defend Kubes getting to keep his job.

You could bring in Cowher or a HS coach to be HC and he wouldn't get rid of these guys and totally rebuild.

Carry On

BTW, Jerrah and BoB have one thing in common they have been able to market their franchises into top 5 $$$$ wise. Despite having a sucky product that was put on the field.

And what does McNair say? He says what the Sunshine Corwd wants to hear: "It would be traumatic to make a big change right now."

I think the Texans organization knew exactly what to say. That line McNair said, about a drastic change being "too traumatic" was brainstormed and McNair said it like it was a motto or something.

"Too traumatic..."

And all the people said, "Yes it would be! too traumatic! We can't lose our offense!"

What a great sales job by the Texans P.R. department. They totally diffused the situation via well-planned McNair quotes. Kubiak stuck to the script, during the presser, too, which solidified the plan.

Everyone did their part. Even Bum. A sister or daughter played her part, too, calling into a radio show and acting as if Wade wouldn't want the job even if offered--This was done to add to the illusion that this wasn't a foregone conclusion as some might speculate.

Texans played it well. I have to give them that. Well-planned, and fairly well-executed. It was a bit telegraphed, but oh well. Most fans bought it. Now they can go about business as usual, and the hiring of Wade Phillips (and his big HUGE salary too!) will overshadow any lack of effort to bring in the biggest free agent secondary player to hit the market this year.

Bump, set, kill.

steelbtexan
01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
And what does McNair say? He says what the Sunshine Corwd wants to hear: "It would be traumatic to make a big change right now."

I think the Texans organization knew exactly what to say. That line McNair said, about a drastic change being "too traumatic" was brainstormed and McNair said it like it was a motto or something.

"Too traumatic..."

And all the people said, "Yes it would be! too traumatic! We can't lose our offense!"

What a great sales job by the Texans P.R. department. They totally diffused the situation via well-planned McNair quotes. Kubiak stuck to the script, during the presser, too, which solidified the plan.

Everyone did their part. Even Bum. A sister or daughter played her part, too, calling into a radio show and acting as if Wade wouldn't want the job even if offered--This was done to add to the illusion that this wasn't a foregone conclusion as some might speculate.

Texans played it well. I have to give them that. Well-planned, and fairly well-executed. It was a bit telegraphed, but oh well. Most fans bought it. Now they can go about business as usual, and the hiring of Wade Phillips (and his big HUGE salary too!) will overshadow any lack of effort to bring in the biggest free agent secondary player to hit the market this year.

Bump, set, kill.

Do you really think the fans bought what BoB was selling.

I would rather have kept Bush if the difference in $$$$ meant not getting ASO.

We all know that if Bush would've been kept at his low salary that wouldn't have translated into signing ASO.

It's really sad.

DocBar
01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Well, Jerry Jones is winning so far. His team has made the playoffs multiple times and won a playoff game last year. The Texans have yet sniff the playoffs yet in nine years of football.
And how many SB appearances? 2 playoff appearancesand one win.WOW. Color me impresed. Maybe JJ can buy out McNair and double our chances.

"Too traumatic..."

Bump, set, kill. You sound like the guy who saw the shooter on the grassy knoll. Talkabout crazy conspiracy theories.

GuerillaBlack
01-09-2011, 11:06 PM
And how many SB appearances? 2 playoff appearancesand one win.WOW. Color me impresed. Maybe JJ can buy out
So, you'd rather have no playoffs like the Texans? Because that sure is what you're making it sound like. LOL at the no SB appearance comment. At least they had a chance by making the playoffs. The Texans had no chance and could only dream.

GP
01-09-2011, 11:17 PM
You sound like the guy who saw the shooter on the grassy knoll. Talkabout crazy conspiracy theories.

I think people who soothe their conscience by pretending everything is OK find it to be an easier path to follow than taking the time to analyze the evidence and come to an independent conclusion.

Lots of people like "the safe thing." The sure bet. Whatever gets plopped down in front of them. Eat it. Like it. Ask for more. Rinse and repeat.

I woke up the off-season when Carr was cut and Schaub was signed. I won't ever eat my food and not ask where it came from. McNair has peculiar ways of going about things. Where he stands now, vs. where he stood 9 years ago is night and day. Things add up. Ways of doing things add up. We're now in position to say "This is the status quo."

If you want to say "Well, I changed my way of viewing things. It doesn't rule my happiness. I chose to distance myself a bit, get perspective and not let it piss me off," then that's DocBar's choice. I'm cool with that.

I just feel like we're getting a glimpse of the future, a repeat performance that we better get used to enjoying. I don't see us doing anything different. I see us doing the same thing differently. That's a huge difference. I'm a big fan of doing different things, not doing the same thing (differently) and throwing ourselves parades over it.

Just my two cents on it.

-------------------

Since we're on the topic of grassy knolls.....

Oswald acted alone. Rejected by Russia, he came back to the states and said "I'l show them." It's been proven that he easily could have fired all rounds and could have made the shot. He wanted to be a big shot. Show everybody he was something special. Ruby was just pissed off. Ruby also acted alone in his killing of Oswald. Two men who wanted to be The Man.

Now, the moon landing? I always wonder why we haven't made another landing since then. I'm supposed to believe that we could get to the surface, land safely, walk around, and jet back into space and then back home, in the 1960s? Sounds fishy to me. Sounds like we faked it, to me. But oh well. There's lots of evidence that it was real.

GP
01-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I hate it when someone pieces out the project.

Look at how this has gone down, folks. We started as an expansion team, with what I think we can all consider was a pretty shitty expansion draft. The Tony Boselli thing should have had a grand jury trial after the raping that we suffered at the hands of the Jags--Taking on Boselli's contract so that we could get a few Jags players in return.

We trotted out David Carr, then hired Kubiak. Had to keep Carr for at least one year. A miracle happened and Kubiak cut Carr and we signed a REAL quarterback. Better coach, better QB.

Didn't really do an intensive search for a new d-coord. Nope. Let's get Frank Bush, the David Carr of d-coordinators. Fail.

Now let's get a REAL d-coordinator, Wade Phillips.

And the key phrase here is that McNair tells us that "It would be too traumatic to make a drastic change. It would set the franchise back several years."

Effing seriously? LOL.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to make adjustments to the colossal WIN that is going on right now, would we?

This team is like the kid who is 12 and still can't ride a bike without training wheels. We've not shed the "expansion" tag yet. We're still that fragile child who begs daddy to leave the training wheels on.

And I'm supposed to shut my mouth and be happy? Find "one positive thing to say..." as the thread title implores?

Yeah, I'm the crazy one. A real nut job.

JB
01-09-2011, 11:32 PM
this freaking crap is getting real old... it's done and done. Must we continue to read the same old crap over and over?

Lucky
01-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Since we're on the topic of grassy knolls.....

Oswald acted alone. Rejected by Russia, he came back to the states and said "I'l show them."
So, ex-Marine Oswald is just let back in the country after defecting to the Soviet Union during the height of the Cold War for 2 1/2 years? No big deal.

OK.

GP
01-09-2011, 11:35 PM
So, ex-Marine Oswald is just let back in the country after defecting to the Soviet Union during the height of the Cold War for 2 1/2 years? No big deal.

OK.

From what I remember, they didn't think he wss there (or they did and thought he was small potatoes and wasn't anything but a goober smooch).

JB
01-09-2011, 11:40 PM
From McNair is a cheap ignoramus to Oswald was an ignored terrorist spy... nice!

Lucky
01-09-2011, 11:48 PM
From what I remember, they didn't think he wss there (or they did and thought he was small potatoes and wasn't anything but a goober smooch).
So why let him back in the country, rather than just letting him rot in Russia? You should look into that and maybe start a thread in the appropriate forum.

JB, I know the harking on the Kubiak retention is getting old. But, we're still seeing fans and McNair trying to blow sunshine up our arse. That's what keeps bothering some of us. GP, perhaps, more that others.

JB
01-09-2011, 11:57 PM
So why let him back in the country, rather than just letting him rot in Russia? You should look into that and maybe start a thread in the appropriate forum.

JB, I know the harking on the Kubiak retention is getting old. But, we're still seeing fans and McNair trying to blow sunshine up our arse. That's what keeps bothering some of us. GP, perhaps, more that others.

I can understand that Lucky. Would you preferred that he told us that all hope was lost and the team is going to suck for the forseeable future? I just think that the continuous compaining about the stuff that will not be changed is pointless. Can't we just accept it and move on? Bringing WP in actually gives us something to look forward to that we have not had here in the last 5 years. Maybe we can improve. Maybe we won't. It's gonna be a very long offseason anyway. I would rather look to the future with the hope that it will improve than look at the past and declare that we have no future.

edit: sorry for the rambling... I be a tad touched by the effects of JB...:D

GP
01-10-2011, 12:09 AM

I got off-topic. DocBar started it!!!! LOL.

What do you think about how Kubiak got the job because he said he could work with Mittens, and Phillips gets the d-coord job and says "I can do a lot with what I have and don't see a need to get more personnel"?

Isn't that interesting? I think it is. For McNair being a "brilliant" businessman, he sure doesn't switch up his game very much. I bet he leaves his house at the same time every day, takes the same route to the office, eats the same breakfast, drinks exactly 1 cup of coffee, promptly pops in some Dentine gum (the kind that old people chew, that smells like Listerine) once the coffee is finished, etc., etc.

He's not switching up his game. Probably is a neat freak. The pens go in this container, the pencils go in this container, and he keeps all the pencils sharpened to exactly the same length. Order. Routine. Trauma-free zone.

houstonspartan
01-10-2011, 12:19 AM
When Kubiak fails after this yr. By your theory It will take 2 yrs to reach the playoffs. Am I correct that this is your assumption?

You realize that the Soapers that called for Kubiak to be fired instead of extended after the 2009. If BoB had followed the Soapers plan. Then by your own admission if a top notch HC was hired the Texans would be a playoff team in 2011.

If I'm right and Kubiak fails. Under your time frame 2013 will be the quickest that the Texans will be making the playoffs.

Can you see why the true Soapers (Steel B, Dex, SH etc...) wanted Kubiak fired after 2009. It will be 4 yrs after the call for Kubiaks head by the Soapers before there will be playoffs by your estimation. Instead of playoffs next yr by your estimation.

Everybody needs to read Steel's comments here very carefully. He brings up a very, very important point.

The reason 2010 was such a disaster and a lost season was because it SHOULD have been the re-build season with a new coach. I was perfectly willing to accept a so-so season to give a new coach time to get things together.

Instead, we extended Kubiak last year, and wasted YET ANOTHER season waiting for him to get his act together. And now, we're HOPING that he has seen the light in 2011.

In truth, we would have had better odds in 2011 with a new coach in his second year than we will have with Kubiak in his sixth. Say that number again: 6.

Year S-I-X.

I have always said, and will continue to say, that Kubiak's extension was the biggest mistake McNair ever made. And, yes, it was bigger than David Carr's.

Hookem Horns
01-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Why would Bob McNair be taking advice from a man that makes sure Bob's team is blacked out most weeks within his market?

RagingBull
01-10-2011, 02:03 AM
We have 31 enemies, and this is what I am talking about: We have no friends in the NFL. It's us vs. everybody else.

This is the "soft" mentality I talk about.

If we had met the Cowboys in the reg season, oh wait..we did...and had cared to beat their brains out (we didn't, btw, because DeMeco and others were all trying to be cool and say that this was "just another game...") then that's one more win for us. We got our asses handed to us. Because we didn't have a proper mindset for the game.

If we meet them in the Super Bowl, then they are our enemies.

Any team we play is our enemy.

Sounds corny, but this team is soft. McNair was glad that other teams' owners came to him and patted his ass and told him how proud they were that we "came back" on the Ravens...I mean, WTF?!?!? Seriously, Bob? THAT is what makes you happy? LOL. We're the moral victory gang, I suppose. We're losers, but we win in other ways. Liberal Democrat bullshit like this is what weakens things. "We're all equal. We're all the same. Nobody is better than anybody else. Share with others, don't be greedy." OK, WTFE.

I don't want a mean owner. I want an owner who doesn't act like pansy-ass when he opens his mouth to the media.

So what you are saying is that Bob needs to hire this guy?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8VCspCvcinWzmlYj1BsMUlVGbHR-7TK0xKQNMK3gUXRwzya-M

Hookem Horns
01-10-2011, 02:21 AM
So what you are saying is that Bob needs to hire this guy?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8VCspCvcinWzmlYj1BsMUlVGbHR-7TK0xKQNMK3gUXRwzya-M

That's what I have been saying. We have been stuck in "mamby pamby land" since 2002.

RagingBull
01-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Introducing the new Texans Head Coach:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/838/rlee.jpg

Texanator
01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Joe, The Bozo who said McNair and JJ are a lot alike was none other than McNair HIMSELF! Or maybe you didn't read the quote.

The Pencil Neck
01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Everybody needs to read Steel's comments here very carefully. He brings up a very, very important point.

The reason 2010 was such a disaster and a lost season was because it SHOULD have been the re-build season with a new coach. I was perfectly willing to accept a so-so season to give a new coach time to get things together.

Instead, we extended Kubiak last year, and wasted YET ANOTHER season waiting for him to get his act together. And now, we're HOPING that he has seen the light in 2011.

In truth, we would have had better odds in 2011 with a new coach in his second year than we will have with Kubiak in his sixth. Say that number again: 6.

Year S-I-X.

I have always said, and will continue to say, that Kubiak's extension was the biggest mistake McNair ever made. And, yes, it was bigger than David Carr's.

To me, there's no way I fire a coach who's gotten us to our first winning season after he gets us to our first winning season. That just doesn't make sense.

Now, after regressing and going 6-10, THEN I'd fire him.

There's a possibility that Wade gets this defense thing turned around and there's a chance that (if there IS football) that we'll have a much better season next season. But with this team under Kubiak, it's always seemed like he fixes one thing and another thing breaks while the defense gives up over 400 yards per game for at least the first 4 games of the season.

But the decision has been made. We've got Kubiak for at least one more season. I think it's kind of pointless at this point to keep belaboring the point that most of us would have preferred that he be fired and it's time to start hoping that Kubillips can get this thing going in the right direction.

houstonspartan
01-10-2011, 12:01 PM
To me, there's no way I fire a coach who's gotten us to our first winning season after he gets us to our first winning season. That just doesn't make sense.

Now, after regressing and going 6-10, THEN I'd fire him.

There's a possibility that Wade gets this defense thing turned around and there's a chance that (if there IS football) that we'll have a much better season next season. But with this team under Kubiak, it's always seemed like he fixes one thing and another thing breaks while the defense gives up over 400 yards per game for at least the first 4 games of the season.

But the decision has been made. We've got Kubiak for at least one more season. I think it's kind of pointless at this point to keep belaboring the point that most of us would have preferred that he be fired and it's time to start hoping that Kubillips can get this thing going in the right direction.

Firing Kubiak after last year would have been more than fair. First winning season? So? He didn't make the playoffs.

Also, you use "possibility" and "a chance" and "hoping" a lot in your message in regards to Kubiak.

Just an observation.

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Firing Kubiak after last year would have been more than fair. First winning season? So? He didn't make the playoffs.

Also, you use "possibility" and "a chance" and "hoping" a lot in your message in regards to Kubiak.

Just an observation.

No one can dispute 5-7 after 12 games for four straight years now. No one. I really wish someone would have asked Kubiak at his presser last week this: "Kubiak, your team has been 5-7 after 12 straight games for four straight seasons now. What do you plan on doing next year to make sure that that doesn't happen."

Kubiak would have probably answered with "I don't know". He seemed to start doing that a lot towards the end of this season.

The Pencil Neck
01-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Just an observation.

I also said I'd have fired him.

But since he wasn't fired, I'm hoping it turns out OK. What's wrong with that?

Joe Texan
01-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Quit Crying it is over

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Quit Crying it is over

It won't be over until the Texans at least make the playoffs. Something Kubiak has failed to due in five seasons, yet he is still the coach.

The Pencil Neck
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
It won't be over until the Texans at least make the playoffs. Something Kubiak has failed to due in five seasons, yet he is still the coach.

I'm not looking forward to hearing this about 25,000 more times until the next season starts. Assuming that next season starts at the regular time.

Shaft75
01-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm not trying to derail this thread... but...

What in the world did you guys do to JoeTexan? Dude is on a rampage right now and seems to be at odds with everyone on here.

imatexan
01-10-2011, 03:52 PM

Oh and thank you TEXANATOR for my second neg rep in 5 years, it is not my fault you posted a meaningless quote without a link.

michaelm
01-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Dude is on a rampage right now and seems to be at odds with everyone on here.

He's Joe Texan... That's what he do.

Joe Texan
01-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Man we got a team to get to the playoffs, I for 1 will be there front and center as the 12th man as I know the bull pen will be with. I see no reason to cry over spilt milk. And I get real tired seeing over and over how Bobs and imbosul and Gary can't coach. You have said your piece so stfu. We will make the playoffs next year and the soapers will have to lather up just to wash the rediculous reterick they have been spewing off thier breath.

Shaft75
01-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Man we got a team to get to the playoffs, I for 1 will be there front and center as the 12th man as I know the bull pen will be with. I see no reason to cry over spilt milk. And I get real tired seeing over and over how Bobs and imbosul and Gary can't coach. You have said your piece so stfu. We will make the playoffs next year and the soapers will have to lather up just to wash the rediculous reterick they have been spewing off thier breath.

Joe, my fellow front row avid Texan fan.

I agree with your stance. I support this team through thick and thin. I feel you when you get tired of listening to all the negative stuff we got going on, but fans are downright pissed because they feel that our team has swindled away their sound mines during every offseason/season. These guys want everything to work out too though man. They are on here all day long posting their thoughts with pretty good effort.

You don't have lambaiste everybody for firing off their different opinions. But just keep being you and less hostile toward everyone. We ALL way to see this thing turn around man. Each and every one of us.

You can't do what you do but don't bash everyone on here man.

Take a chill and drink you a beer, and don't let these yahoos get you stirred. You took an oath when you became JoeTexan, now live up to it bro!

steelbtexan
01-11-2011, 12:55 AM

JT, I love you man and I dont like cussing

But

Isn't this the same shit you said last offseason?

GNTLEWOLF
01-11-2011, 01:14 AM

dear Joe Texan,
I said the following in another thread and I stand behind it.
Let's say the Texans make the play-offs next year. That doesn't prove anything except that Kubiak is Marvin Lewis. And with that comparison, Kubiak is about due for a play-off season just by pure chance.

No, this team will need more than one play-off year to prove anything at this point.

I, for one will not fall for the one-shot smoke and mirrors that defines Gary Kubiak should the Texans indeed make the play-offs. Will I be happy for the Texans? Yes I will. But that is not the same as buying into the myth that Kubiak's team has turned a corner. So if yo are waiting for us soapers to "lather up just to wash the rediculous reterick they have been spewing off thier breath." You might be waiting a long while.

Lucky
01-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Isn't this the same shit you said last offseason?
Joe Texan is tough on Texan fans, soft on the Texans organization.

That's what he does. And he has company.

I see a lot of backlash against fans who do not support the lack of change in the Texans organization. Fans that believe there were problems with the Texans prior to Frank Bush annointed as defensive coordinator or David Gibbs becoming the secondary coach. It's been less than 2 weeks since the decision to Keep Kubiak was announced, and everyone's just not quite ready to take their medicine and go sit in the corner.

It's difficult for me to get upset about Wade Phillips. He's a proven winner. Not a big time winner. But, he's won more than he's lost. He's very competent at his job as defensive coordinator. He springs from the most noble of Houston football stock. He was a part of the greatest moments in Houston football history. He wants to be here. He probably believes that this should have been his team 9 years ago.

So, I have no animosity towards Wade Phillips. Bob McNair probably knew I wouldn't have any for Wade when he hired him. It seems like Phillips was hired as much for his ability to diffuse the hostility towards the organization as for his coaching acumen. Give them Frank Bush's head, put good ol' Wade in front of the cameras, and all will be forgiven.

I'm not ready to forgive, and I'm not ready to accept being played. Frank Bush should have been fired. He was grossly over his head. But, Bush wasn't the biggest problem with the Texans. That problem is leadership, and the leaders names are Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith, and Bob McNair. And while you can't fire an owner, the blood of Kubiak & Smith would have sufficed.

As it stands, it looks like I'll stay upset for awhile longer. I had a rotten time at Reliant this season. I've had a rotten time at Reliant the past 3 seasons. It was better when the Texans were an expansion team, and I could pretend they were "on the right track". I can't pretend any longer that this group will get it done.

Grams
01-11-2011, 07:25 AM

I have been a Texan fan since day 1 and will be a Texan fan forever.

However, I have lost a lot of faith in Kubiak. While I believe he is one of the best OC, I have serious doubts about his game management, getting the team properly prepared each week and prepared to play the entire game.

Having a proven DC to coach the defense, should provide us with more wins. Will that be enough to get us into the playoffs on a consistant basis?
I don't know and neither does anyone else. We won't know until the season starts.
I also have had enough of the bashing of the head coach, GM and owner - just because we do not agree with what they do and the decisions they have made.
I am ready for just some Texan football talk. Conversations about the needs for the draft and free agency and discussions about the changes from a 4-3 to a 3-4, etc.

I will be here cheering them on each and every game next season. And should they make the playoffs, I will be more than happy to "eat some crow" for you diehard Kubiak supporters - but I would like a little BBQ sauce on it.

:fans:

steelbtexan
01-11-2011, 08:44 AM
I have been a Texan fan since day 1 and will be a Texan fan forever.

However, I have lost a lot of faith in Kubiak. While I believe he is one of the best OC, I have serious doubts about his game management, getting the team properly prepared each week and prepared to play the entire game.

Having a proven DC to coach the defense, should provide us with more wins. Will that be enough to get us into the playoffs on a consistant basis?
I don't know and neither does anyone else. We won't know until the season starts.
I also have had enough of the bashing of the head coach, GM and owner - just because we do not agree with what they do and the decisions they have made.
I am ready for just some Texan football talk. Conversations about the needs for the draft and free agency and discussions about the changes from a 4-3 to a 3-4, etc.

I will be here cheering them on each and every game next season. And should they make the playoffs, I will be more than happy to "eat some crow" for you diehard Kubiak supporters - but I would like a little BBQ sauce on it.

:fans:

I to believe Phillips was hired to take the heat off the organization. Luckily he also happens to be one of the best DC's in the NFL.

Draft talk there's a section for that. You should come by and give us your thoughts. They will be much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to another Smithiak draft of

OkOye
D.Brown
Roided up Cushing
K.Jackson

The excitement of the Texans screwing up another draft is overwhelming. Looking forward to their annual 3rd rd Small school waste like Molden or JJ.

Yep, Smithiak, they are some keen talent evaluators. Hopefully they will be in the bathroom when it comes time for the Texans to make their picks and Phillips is the only one in the war room and he gets to draft the defensive guys he wants. Atleast he knows defensive talent and would make picks that would actually make plays/contribute to the team.

How do you like that for some draft talk. LOL at McNair for pulling this sham on his loyal fan base.

HoustonFrog
01-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Joe Texan is tough on Texan fans, soft on the Texans organization.

That's what he does. And he has company.

I see a lot of backlash against fans who do not support the lack of change in the Texans organization. Fans that believe there were problems with the Texans prior to Frank Bush annointed as defensive coordinator or David Gibbs becoming the secondary coach. It's been less than 2 weeks since the decision to Keep Kubiak was announced, and everyone's just not quite ready to take their medicine and go sit in the corner.

It's difficult for me to get upset about Wade Phillips. He's a proven winner. Not a big time winner. But, he's won more than he's lost. He's very competent at his job as defensive coordinator. He springs from the most noble of Houston football stock. He was a part of the greatest moments in Houston football history. He wants to be here. He probably believes that this should have been his team 9 years ago.

So, I have no animosity towards Wade Phillips. Bob McNair probably knew I wouldn't have any for Wade when he hired him. It seems like Phillips was hired as much for his ability to diffuse the hostility towards the organization as for his coaching acumen. Give them Frank Bush's head, put good ol' Wade in front of the cameras, and all will be forgiven.

I'm not ready to forgive, and I'm not ready to accept being played. Frank Bush should have been fired. He was grossly over his head. But, Bush wasn't the biggest problem with the Texans. That problem is leadership, and the leaders names are Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith, and Bob McNair. And while you can't fire an owner, the blood of Kubiak & Smith would have sufficed.

As it stands, it looks like I'll stay upset for awhile longer. I had a rotten time at Reliant this season. I've had a rotten time at Reliant the past 3 seasons. It was better when the Texans were an expansion team, and I could pretend they were "on the right track". I can't pretend any longer that this group will get it done.

Very well said. Again, I keep getting lathered up because Bob keeps peeking his head out and saying stupid stuff that would insult even the most neophyte football fan. It also pisses me off that people in the media just readily accept that things are great now with Wade....well not all, but some. It is just ball-less around town at times and I'd love to see one nice revolt that shows people won't take living with "Battered Fan Syndrome."