PDA

View Full Version : Compare Texans Coaching Staffs

michaelm
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
OK, so I'm going to put this out there.

Keep in mind, I wanted Kubiak gone as much as anybody, so it should be apparent that I am at least attempting to be objective here.

I think there is a pretty good chance that this could actually be the best coaching staff in Texans history, presuming that Wade will bring in a couple of quality position coaches, hopefully ones that he has worked with before.

DON"T GET ME WRONG.
I clearly (see my avatar) would rather have another head coach besides Kubiak, but now that the die is cast, I'm trying to come to grips with what this will all amount to.

Kubiak has his short comings, to be sure, but he was good enough to lead this team to a 9-7 record.

I'm sure the previous statement will be brought under fire by the SOS gurus, and I expect their claim to be challenged by the crowd who believes that you are what your record says you are.
The fact remains that Kubiak did, in fact, lead this team to a 9-7 record.

The coaching staff that leads this team into next season figures to be better that that staff by a good margin, IMO.

Discuss.

kiwitexansfan
01-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Well, Kubiak is the best offense mind we have had on the staff.

Phillips and Capers would probably be a push.

So yeah overall I would agree, best coaching staff ever.

But lets be honest the bar isn't that high.

GP
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
But lets be honest the bar isn't that high.

The bar is on the floor. Just gotta' hop over it.

The kids can hop over it. I know they can. They're good kids.

Thorn
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I agree that this is probably the best coaching staff we've had, and I also agree that the bar hasn't been set real high so far. Which to me means we are still in a wait and see stage, just like we've always been with this team.

Since Kubiak hasn't done any better than 9-7 in five years I have my doubts, but if logic and luck goes our way, having a better defense to go with a good offense, means a better season next year than this year. Of course if we get another 8-8 or 9-7 I'm not really sure what good this Greatest Of All Texan Coaching Staff We've Ever Had means other than another pile of crap in the Moo Cow pasture.

drs23
01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I agree that this is probably the best coaching staff we've had, and I also agree that the bar hasn't been set real high so far. Which to me means we are still in a wait and see stage, just like we've always been with this team.

Since Kubiak hasn't done any better than 9-7 in five years I have my doubts, but if logic and luck goes our way, having a better defense to go with a good offense, means a better season next year than this year. Of course if we get another 8-8 or 9-7 I'm not really sure what good this Greatest Of All Texan Coaching Staff We've Ever Had means other than another pile of crap in the Moo Cow pasture.

I agree we're in the "wait and see stage". If they're successful we'll all be really, really happy. If not then you can tell 'em to "Kiss my ass"!

eriadoc
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
It's hard to compare. Kubiak is the best offensive mind, clearly, and one of the better offensive minds in the NFL. But he sucks as a head coach. Capers is one of the best defensive minds in football. But when he was here, Fangio was DC and was not running Capers' defense. Look at every defense Capers has run as a DC and then look at the one the Texans had. Capers failed as a head coach. Phillips is a good DC, but has failed as a head coach. So basically, we've had a bunch of failed head coaches.

When you start getting into assistant coaches, it's pretty well a disaster.

b0ng
01-07-2011, 02:19 PM
So best coaching staff in Texans history is kind of like being the best bull fighter in South Africa.

infantrycak
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
It's hard to compare. Kubiak is the best offensive mind, clearly, and one of the better offensive minds in the NFL. But he sucks as a head coach. Capers is one of the best defensive minds in football. But when he was here, Fangio was DC and was not running Capers' defense. Look at every defense Capers has run as a DC and then look at the one the Texans had. Capers failed as a head coach. Phillips is a good DC, but has failed as a head coach. So basically, we've had a bunch of failed head coaches.

I don't think there is any comparison. Texans Chick can confirm one of my biggest complaints with Capers was he washed his hands of his area of expertise. He was bass ackwards. He should have at least built a great D and then handed the O over and trusted the expert he hired for that role. Kubiak has at least done that. He has built an O. His selection of DC's has been a failure but at least his model is better.

Texan Asylum
01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
OK, so I'm going to put this out there.

Keep in mind, I wanted Kubiak gone as much as anybody, so it should be apparent that I am at least attempting to be objective here.

I think there is a pretty good chance that this could actually be the best coaching staff in Texans history, presuming that Wade will bring in a couple of quality position coaches, hopefully ones that he has worked with before.

DON"T GET ME WRONG.
I clearly (see my avatar) would rather have another head coach besides Kubiak, but now that the die is cast, I'm trying to come to grips with what this will all amount to.

Kubiak has his short comings, to be sure, but he was good enough to lead this team to a 9-7 record.

I'm sure the previous statement will be brought under fire by the SOS gurus, and I expect their claim to be challenged by the crowd who believes that you are what your record says you are.
The fact remains that Kubiak did, in fact, lead this team to a 9-7 record.

The coaching staff that leads this team into next season figures to be better that that staff by a good margin, IMO.

Discuss.

I don't think there is any comparison. Texans Chick can confirm one of my biggest complaints with Capers was he washed his hands of his area of expertise. He was bass ackwards. He should have at least built a great D and then handed the O over and trusted the expert he hired for that role. Kubiak has at least done that. He has built an O. His selection of DC's has been a failure but at least his model is better.

This is what I feel.

If Kubiak is the offensive brain that he is, and not very defensive minded, might he have been somewhat overwhelmed at his current post with no one able to lead the defensive charge.

Get what I'm trying to say?

Now that he has in place a defensive minded brain at the DC position, can he NOW be able to lead this staff and team, not having his focus sucked away all the time from a position in his staff that has been a void up till now.

I am actually getting pretty excited about the possibilites. (very guarded in my excitement...lol!)