PDA

View Full Version : FA targets 2011?

TheRealJoker
01-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Given that we are moving to Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, I see us making a run at Cowboys free agents that could compete for starting jobs and help speed up the transition for the rest of the defense.

Two targets I have in mind:

Marcus Spears (DE) - Would compete with Antonio Smith for a starting spot and help the DL transition.

Terrence Newman (CB) - Would provide us with a true # 1 CB and give the young DBs a quality veteran to learn from.

Norg
01-06-2011, 01:52 AM
anybody and everybody who Kubes and wade can think help this team

NO CHamp bailey tho

i brought him up at work and some dude made a intresting point

IS he the same champ bailey we are thinking of tho he is a little older and denver was not so hot this year

SAMURAITEXAN
01-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Given that we are moving to Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense, I see us making a run at Cowboys free agents that could compete for starting jobs and help speed up the transition for the rest of the defense.

Two targets I have in mind:

Marcus Spears (DE) - Would compete with Antonio Smith for a starting spot and help the DL transition.

Terrence Newman (CB) - Would provide us with a true # 1 CB and give the young DBs a quality veteran to learn from.

Marcus Spears isn't he the guy we passed along with DJ and draft Travis Johnson(DT) instead? Damn Caper and co.

painekiller
01-06-2011, 05:06 AM
I posted this here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1621724&postcount=26)

IMO the LBs in a 3-4 would be Cushing and Barwin on the outside and Ryans and Sharpton in the middle.

Before you say that Sharpton is too small remember Sam Mills was only 5-9 229 and he was one of the Best 3-4 MLBs to ever play the game.

As for the DL, I want to run a one gap system like Wade Phillips has run for year, with that Mario and Smith will be the DEs. Image having Mario and Barwin on the same side coming for the QB.

The NT can be Damione Lewis and a draft pick or two. We could draft one or two of the following Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss, Sione Fua, NT, Stanford, Kendrick Ellis, NT, Hampton or Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor.

As for FA NTs that might be signed John Henderson, DT, Raiders ; Ronald Fields, NT Denver; Ron Edwards, NT KC(Klein Forest/ A&M grad); Shaun Smith, NT, KC; Paul Soliai, NT Dolphins, Haloti Ngata DE/NT Ravens (he will be Franchised and cost two 1st round picks); Chris Hoke, NT Steelers; Remi Ayodele, DT Saints; Bryan Robinson, NT, Arizona; Gabe Watson, NT, Arizono; Alan Branch, DE/NT, Arizona; Aubrayo Franklin, NT, 49ers; Brandon Mebane, DT, Seattle.

As you can see the NT position can be addressed. I'm not saying that the guys above are elite types (Ngata excluded) but they can be solid NTs on a team that is transitioning to the 3-4.

The current team and next years team has to worry about the play of the secondary, was it coaching or talent evaluation that caused the problem.

IDEXAN
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
"IMO the LBs in a 3-4 would be Cushing and Barwin on the outside."
&&
I think Barwin always was meant to be a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Besides being an outstanding edge-rusher, he's very athletic you know, we're talking about a former varsity basketball player at Cinci here. On the other hand Cushing gets into trouble when he's in space, I like him staying around the los where he can take advantage of his size, strength, and aggressiveness.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 09:31 AM

NO CHamp bailey tho

IS he the same champ bailey we are thinking of tho he is a little older and denver was not so hot this year

Someone on another thread mentioned that Bailey wants to switch to FS to prolong his career. I'd be down with that. I'd also be ok with re-signing Jason Allen as long as we went elsewhere for another corner also. Cromartie and Chris Carr are options, depending on cap space.

We also need a good-sized tackle for the NT in case our current tandem doesn't work out. Ngata would be awesome, but no way does B'more let that guy go (which is why we have a shot at one of their CB's). Aubrayo Franklin plays the nose for SF, but I don't know much about him. Same with the Cardinals' Alan Branch. He's huge (338), he's young (26), but I don't know anything about him.

Good list of FA here to keep this thread alive. http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

97roc
01-06-2011, 09:31 AM
"IMO the LBs in a 3-4 would be Cushing and Barwin on the outside."
&&
I think Barwin always was meant to be a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Besides being an outstanding edge-rusher, he's very athletic you know, we're talking about a former varsity basketball player at Cinci here. On the other hand Cushing gets into trouble when he's in space, I like him staying around the los where he can take advantage of his size, strength, and aggressiveness.

So would Cushing be better suited for the inside? Sharpton would be a suitable backup on the inside, but that leaves us without a starting OLB.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 09:43 AM
So would Cushing be better suited for the inside? Sharpton would be a suitable backup on the inside, but that leaves us without a starting OLB.

Cushing is a rushing LB. He'll be another Clay Mathews in the 3-4 IMO.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Considering Leinart will probably be gone (SF and Oakland come to mind), we'll be looking for a quality backup QB. Seneca Wallace, Alex Smith, Matt Moore, Rex Grossman, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Tyler Thigpien - all available. Snag one? I like Wallace and Smith, personally. I think they'd do well in our system. Thoughts?

HuttoKarl
01-06-2011, 09:47 AM
make Haloti Ngata the richest man in NFL history

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 09:48 AM
make Haloti Ngata the richest man in NFL history

If B'more franchises him, we can't.

HuttoKarl
01-06-2011, 09:55 AM
If B'more franchises him, we can't.

Can you not still make an offer on a franchise player? You lose a draft pick, but I am pretty sure Ngata is worth more than any player in any round out there. Not one single rookie I'd rather have than him.

HTown2ATX
01-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Can you not still make an offer on a franchise player? You lose a draft pick, but I am pretty sure Ngata is worth more than any player in any round out there. Not one single rookie I'd rather have than him.

Yeah, you can still make an offer to a franchise player. I forget the rules as to what you pay as the team that made the offer if the player accepts but it is pretty friggin steep and that's why you don't see too many teams do it. However, if we are switching to a 3-4, Ngata is really the only proven guy out there that I would take right now so it may be worth it.

Too bad Zombie Master Davis out in Oakland will not part with Namdi Aso. at DB.........would love to get him!

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM

From Wikipedia:

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

No way does a team make an offer to a "non-exclusive" player and risk losing TWO first-round draft picks. Only Peyton or Tom would be worth that.

JB
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
With no CBA, there may be no franchise tags.

HuttoKarl
01-06-2011, 10:06 AM
From Wikipedia:

No way does a team make an offer to a "non-exclusive" player and risk losing TWO first-round draft picks. Only Peyton or Tom would be worth that.

I'd do it for Ngata...he's the ultimate NT.

infantrycak
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Except for the fact that he isn't Baltimore's NT. Kelly Gregg is their NT. Occasionally Ngata moves inside.

dinkatoid
01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I would not want Newman. He is really starting to show his age and is not looking like he has much left. If I were to go after a corner, I think I would pick Richard Marshall. Carolina wants to get rid of him, but he has been a fairly solid corner from what I have seen and read. He is a very physical player who can help out vs the run as well. He is by no means elite, but I think he would be a very serviceable corner.

CloakNNNdagger
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Everyone is getting so excited about FA. But McNair's statements reflect only that we will "take part" in FA this year. I don't remember anywhere that he stated will be "aggressive" in FA of make a "splash." That's tethering my expectations once again for the FA "fix" and I expect more and more talk about how well we will do with just little "tweeks" in order to justify this stance in FA. We're already hearing statements to that effect from Wade.

ThaShark316
01-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Everyone is getting so excited about FA. But McNair's statements reflect only that we will "take part" in FA this year. I don't remember anywhere that he stated will be "aggressive" in FA of make a "splash." That's tethering my expectations once again for the FA "fix" and I expect more and more talk about how well we will do with just little "tweeks" in order to justify this stance in FA. We're already hearing statements to that effect from Wade.

Like he's really going to show his hand. You don't make brazen statements like that.

Rozelle
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM

NO CHamp bailey tho

Not sure what others were thinking, At 32 (will be 33 in June) he's obviously not the same guy he was at 26, however he's as good as anything we have at CB right now. Baily could bring experience, leadership and be a great mentor to our young corners. If he wants to play safety, that works... we need a ball-hawking cover safety. The price needs to be right though.

Errant Hothy
01-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Except for the fact that he isn't Baltimore's NT. Kelly Gregg is their NT. Occasionally Ngata moves inside.

LOL!

No interior D-lineman is worth that kind of money and 2 first round draft picks.

The1ApplePie
01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Getting Franklin's big fat ass would be nice, but I don't know how San Fran lets him walk.

Marcus Spears may be a done deal though.

Alan Branch would be another big to look at, though I'm not sure if he ever lived up to his massive body and college work.

CloakNNNdagger
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Like he's really going to show his hand. You don't make brazen statements like that.

The only time your hand is shown is when it has money in it........on its way to another person's hand. Until then staments of "intentions" cannot hurt you. But it could certainly go a long way to easing the minds of fans........if it is sincere.

Nawzer
01-06-2011, 04:05 PM
We need to get some big names on defense. Obviously switching to the 3-4 means some guys currently on the roster won't be here come opening day. So, we have to go on a major shopping spree. McNair better not be cheap. First he brings back Kubiak and if he doesn't open up his wallet then that'll be a double whammy for the fans. I hope they will do everything in their power to make sure we're a good defensive unit next year.

The1ApplePie
01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Possible 3-4 Free Agents

OLB:

LaMarr Woodley (PIT) won’t happen
Matt Roth (CLE)
Manny Lawson (SF)
Kamerion Wimbley (OAK)
Tamba Hali (KC)

ILB

David Harris (NYJ)
Brandon Siler (SD)

DE:

Cullen Jenkins (GB)
Jason Hatcher (DAL)
Marcus Spears (DAL)
Nick Eason (PIT)
Chris Hoke (PIT)
Jacques Cesaire (SD)
Richard Seymour (OAK)

NT:

Ron Edwards (KC)
Paul Soliai (MIA)
Alan Branch (ARZ)
Aubrayo Franklin (SF)

infantrycak
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Getting Franklin's big fat ass would be nice, but I don't know how San Fran lets him walk.

The Niners franchised him last year so they are looking at a 20% increase if they want to keep him by doing it again.

TexanAggie89
01-06-2011, 06:21 PM
The Niners franchised him last year so they are looking at a 20% increase if they want to keep him by doing it again.

I was just about to say this lol. There is no way they will pay that much money for Franklin. He should be our REALISTIC 2nd target, with Champ Bailey being our first for FS spot. Very Very affordable for us.

Brisco_County
01-07-2011, 01:13 AM
I think the experience and guidance that Ed Reed would bring to the backfield would be worth at least a one year contract. I don't think he wants to play much longer, so it would suit his interest.

TheCD
01-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Am I the only person that thinks Newman is overrated? I always see him get burned against #1 WR's. My answer is no thanks.

DerekLee1
01-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Am I the only person that thinks Newman is overrated? I always see him get burned against #1 WR's. My answer is no thanks.

Concur. We already have CB's that get burned by receivers. Why add more? Add ball-hawking safeties that can help out the Kiddie Corners.

The1ApplePie
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM

He's still be the best CB in Texans history, and miles above what there is now.

The dude is a solid vet with some tread left on the tires.

infantrycak
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
He's still be the best CB in Texans history...

No that would remain Aaron Glenn, but I wouldn't mind Newman here.

VTexan
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Newman and Quinn and CB's. Bailey and Pollard at safties.

I could dig it.

DerekLee1
01-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Newman and Quinn and CB's. Bailey and Pollard at safties.

I could dig it.

I like keeping Allen and starting him opposite Quin. Bring in KJ in nickel packages. Sign Bailey as a FS/sometimes CB. Keep Pollard on the strong side, particularly in run situations.

If we're gonna get a CB in free agency, I'd take either of the B'more guys over Neman.

steelbtexan
01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Me too

Ngata is the best he would make a huge difference in this team.

Imagine a Front 7 of

MW, Ngata Smith

Barwin,Ryans,Sharpton,Cushing

If you didn't like Sharpton you could draft a LB in rd 3/4.

A Saftey could be picked up in Rd 2/3 and a vet CB in FA. This defense would go from one of the worst in NFL history. To a top 15 defense.

If Kubes is the offensive genius McNair thinks he is. Then the playoffs shouldn't be out of reach.

The question is 2 1st's (Ngata) worth making making the playoffs next yr.

If you consider Ngata a 1st the you're really only out a 2012 1st. With Smithiaks draft record this should be a no brainer. Give me a proven star player over 2 unknown 1st rd draft picks any day of the week.

The good thing is the $$$$ that would be spent on two 1st rd picks would off set most of the $$$$ that would be spent on Ngata.

These are the types of bold moves that the Texans need to be making if they are truly serious about making the playoffs.

McNair hasn't made these kinds of moves before and I dont see him making them in the future. Unfortunately

JWarren14
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Champ Bailey for the right price.

We had a major issue with the secondary this year, he is one of the best corners to play the game. He is by no means what he was maybe 4-5 years ago, but his experience, leadership, and knowledge ON the field are something that cannot be overlooked.

KJ said he tries to model his game after Champ Bailey, who better to learn from than the Champ himself.

I wouldn't mind him getting some work at FS and occasionally coming up to play CB and rotating Nolan in.

He wants out of Denver, I would think he would like to come here, and I hope we are able to bring him in under a contract that fits what his new role as an aging player would be.

TheCD
01-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I like keeping Allen and starting him opposite Quin. Bring in KJ in nickel packages. Sign Bailey as a FS/sometimes CB. Keep Pollard on the strong side, particularly in run situations.

If we're gonna get a CB in free agency, I'd take either of the B'more guys over Neman.

I haven't watched too many games this season, but I have heard a ton about how bad Baltimore's CB's are. Do you think this would really be worth an upgrade to pay these guys the money they'd want?

Champ Bailey for the right price.

We had a major issue with the secondary this year, he is one of the best corners to play the game. He is by no means what he was maybe 4-5 years ago, but his experience, leadership, and knowledge ON the field are something that cannot be overlooked.

KJ said he tries to model his game after Champ Bailey, who better to learn from than the Champ himself.

I wouldn't mind him getting some work at FS and occasionally coming up to play CB and rotating Nolan in.

He wants out of Denver, I would think he would like to come here, and I hope we are able to bring him in under a contract that fits what his new role as an aging player would be.

Do you (or anyone else) have a link that talks about Champ stating he'd want to play FS? Sounds like a great plan, but I've never heard anything about his interest whatsoever.

DerekLee1
01-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I haven't watched too many games this season, but I have heard a ton about how bad Baltimore's CB's are. Do you think this would really be worth an upgrade to pay these guys the money they'd want?

Not necessarily. Just saying I'd rather have one of those guys than Newman.

Do you (or anyone else) have a link that talks about Champ stating he'd want to play FS? Sounds like a great plan, but I've never heard anything about his interest whatsoever.

http://www.mkrob.com/broncos-cb-champ-bailey-willing-to-take-pay-cut-to-play-free-safety/

TheCD
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
http://www.mkrob.com/broncos-cb-champ-bailey-willing-to-take-pay-cut-to-play-free-safety/

Thanks for the link. Looks like he wants to be a CB for at least 3 more years and be paid top money though. However, if we can get him at the right price I'd say we get him as our #1. Glover has come on and if KJ develops it can't hurt in a division with the Colts.

Jrod7451
01-08-2011, 02:05 AM
I don't know if you know this but newman signed a 6 year deal in 2008 with Dallas.

HoustonFrog
01-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm laughing now because I'm not sure if the Texans talent evaluation for FA is even up to snuff to grab anyone good. Raheem Brock just had his 10th sack in the Sea/NO game. Texans worked him out in preseason and saw nothing there...pass.

The Cush
01-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm laughing now because I'm not sure if the Texans talent evaluation for FA is even up to snuff to grab anyone good. Raheem Brock just had his 10th sack in the Sea/NO game. Texans worked him out in preseason and saw nothing there...pass.

Yea I remember we worked him out, but I think he signed with the Titans first after visiting us who I guess cut him as well

JB
01-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Yea I remember we worked him out, but I think he signed with the Titans first after visiting us who I guess cut him as well

And isn't this the guy the Colts cut? Their talent evaluators suck as well!

HoustonFrog
01-08-2011, 06:30 PM
And isn't this the guy the Colts cut? Their talent evaluators suck as well!

http://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein

LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
The Texans played against R. Brock twice per year & STILL couldn't figure out that he was a pass rusher & someone who could help. Good Lord
36 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Personnel decision makers are disastrous RT @KEOspeedwagon: And to think, the Texans worked out Raheem Brock in preseason & didn't sign him

The Colts drafted a DE in the 1st round and have Mathis and Freeney. The Texans have no one except Mario.

You are right, I'm wrong

Signed
Ahman Green and 95% of the FA brought in

JB
01-08-2011, 06:40 PM

The Colts drafted a DE in the 1st round and have Mathis and Freeney. The Texans have no one except Mario.

You are right, I'm wrong

Signed
Ahman Green and 95% of the FA brought in

Does there have to be a right and wrong? Can't there just be a difference in opinion? I was just pointing out that the Texans are not the only team that didn't think he was worth the contract he was seeking. And we don't know if the Texans even made him an offer or if they told him that he didn't fit what they are looking for. I just think that to say they can't evaluate talent because of Raheem Brock is ridiculous.

Now if you want to throw in all the other selections that didn't pan out, that statement gains a bit more credibility.

TheMatrix31
01-08-2011, 06:52 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/hss7bm.jpg

HoustonFrog
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Does there have to be a right and wrong? Can't there just be a difference in opinion? I was just pointing out that the Texans are not the only team that didn't think he was worth the contract he was seeking. And we don't know if the Texans even made him an offer or if they told him that he didn't fit what they are looking for. I just think that to say they can't evaluate talent because of Raheem Brock is ridiculous.

Now if you want to throw in all the other selections that didn't pan out, that statement gains a bit more credibility.

I was just being playful with the right and wrong but my analysis stand as to why the Colts wouldn't want him. Teams have needs. The Texans biggest for years is getting to the QB. It makes me wonder over the years how many they passed up along with the bad signings....like when we let Marlon McCree go years ago and he was a good with other teams. Evaluation doesn't seem to be the strong point. I thought the same thing and saw the twitter stuff and found it funny.

JB
01-08-2011, 07:14 PM
I was just being playful with the right and wrong but my analysis stand as to why the Colts wouldn't want him. Teams have needs. The Texans biggest for years is getting to the QB. It makes me wonder over the years how many they passed up along with the bad signings....like when we let Marlon McCree go years ago and he was a good with other teams. Evaluation doesn't seem to be the strong point. I thought the same thing and saw the twitter stuff and found it funny.

Gotcha! And yeah, they have certainly missed on a few! But I think that every NFL team does. It just hurts more when it is your team...

Maddict5
01-08-2011, 07:17 PM

why'd the colts draft a guy in the first rd when they had this gem already on the roster. and mccree was with the old regime so why does that matter?

id guess andersons sacks/snaps ratio wouldnt be that much different from brocks? il check that somewhere if i can

PHAROAH
01-09-2011, 10:23 AM
If I were the Texans I would go after secondary help heavy in free agency due to the fact the top CB's will be gone in the top 8 picks in the 2011 draft with Amukamara & Peterson going possibly in the top 7 picks. The top DT will be gone in the top 3 picks so that being said we might have to spend some money on the top F/A CB & Safety to shore up the young secondary. I would suggest they use the draft on the best available players my list below is what we should target in F/A.

1. Young Veteran CB's
2. Safety
3. WR

----

2011 NFL Draft.

1. OLB ( Von Miller or Akeem Ayers )
2. NG
3. ILB
4. Safety
5. WR
6. TE

DocBar
01-09-2011, 12:18 PM
http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/26938440
Get this guy and pay him the money, Rick.

texanchris
01-09-2011, 12:42 PM
im a bit confused about the whole lockout situation. If they come to a agreement before the deadline then is free agency going to be at the same time that it normally is? What happens if they dont come to a agreement by that time.

otisbean
01-09-2011, 12:47 PM
http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/26938440

Amen! Nnamdi would be a gigantic step in the right direction. This is aguy worth big$$$. Hopefully we'll be at his door step at 12:01 the day FA begins

fiasco west
01-09-2011, 01:36 PM
The only FA target for the Texans should be Nnamdi.

No excuses imo for giving this guy top dollar. He doesn't have a negative history ala Haynesworth, he plays CB (AKA a need position).

All I ask is the Texans put their best foot forward. I want to hear at the very least "The Texans tried to sign him at the same price but he just wanted to play for the other team"

CretorFrigg
01-09-2011, 01:39 PM
The only FA target for the Texans should be Nnamdi.

We should sign Asomugha. That'll eliminate a position of need, and we'll have more freedom when it's time for the draft. Maybe we'll finally be able to get that safety we've always wanted...or linebacker.

Kimmy
01-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Namandi Osumuga (I know its spelled wrong but I'm on my phone) He is a free agent and Oakland can't franchise him. Time to pay up Bob!

Kimmy
01-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Namandi Osumuga (I know its spelled wrong but I'm on my phone) He is a free agent and Oakland can't franchise him. Time to pay up Bob!

http://m.nfl.com/site?t=Dgc3Udfgy9eoxhV0PtMKUg&sid=nfl2 link

MojoX
01-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Highest paid WR in league, please meet highest paid CB in league...

The Texans should be at dude's door at 12:01AM with the big check and Wade Phillips. Asomugha will have his choice of teams willing to pay him the big money. The Texans just need to offer comparable money and sell him on a winning situation. A guy like Asomugha doesn't void his QB money contract just to go follow the money. He had the money. He wants to win. This team needs to make the hard sell that with him this team is a winner.

This is the guy. This is the acquisition that will dramatically change things.

DocBar
01-09-2011, 02:41 PM
We should also look hard at Steve Breaston. He'd be a helluva #2 receiver.

Pantherstang84
01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
im a bit confused about the whole lockout situation. If they come to a agreement before the deadline then is free agency going to be at the same time that it normally is? What happens if they dont come to a agreement by that time.

If the players and owners come to an agreement before the deadline, then free agency will begin as scheduled @ 0001 on 3/4/2011. If they do not come to an agreement, the lockout begins. This means player are not allowed any contact with any team regarding contract talks and are not allowed on the premises of the team's facilities until a new agreement is reached. Therefore, free agency will not begin until a new CBA is reached. However, the draft will still take place as schedued due to the fact that current college players are not covered by the CBA.

Hope this helps.

hookinreds
01-09-2011, 03:35 PM

Holy crap! Complete failure if we don't offer up the farm for him.

MojoX
01-09-2011, 04:05 PM

The Texans should be at dude's door at 12:01AM with the big check and Wade Phillips. Asomugha will have his choice of teams willing to pay him the big money. The Texans just need to offer comparable money and sell him on a winning situation. A guy like Asomugha doesn't void his QB money contract just to go follow the money. He had the money. He wants to win. This team needs to make the hard sell that with him this team is a winner.

Live in Bay Area, local reports had it he voided his contract before correcting that it was an automatic void. Looks like contract was structured to anticipate his physical decline.

Still think the Texans have to both offer big money and make the big sell that they are a winner. Many teams will be offering the dude money. I think he is worth the extra cost even just for the effect of changing team culture he may have in how the secondary prepares.

El Tejano
01-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Live in Bay Area, local reports had it he voided his contract before correcting that it was an automatic void. Looks like contract was structured to anticipate his physical decline.

Still think the Texans have to both offer big money and make the big sell that they are a winner. Many teams will be offering the dude money. I think he is worth the extra cost even just for the effect of changing team culture he may have in how the secondary prepares.

Let's make sure we don't just send Phillips but his good friend Andre Johnson as well.

Steal Your Face
01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Big Raiders fan here ...

Asomugha is the Real Deal and Then Some. Texans should be at his house the minute that FA season starts with a blank check. This guy is a shut-down corner, equally adept at man or zone, stout against the run, a team player, a leader, a student of the game, a pillar of the community ... he even still drives the same beat up, dented up Mazda he had in college. He makes Andre Johnson look frivolous.

If it is true that he's going to be a FA, it would be a serious crime to allow him to suit up for any other team other than the Texans in 2011.

EDIT: It's a Nissan Maxima ... but really banged up.

El Tejano
01-09-2011, 10:39 PM

That's a nice look right there. Then we really wouldn't have to spend a draft pick on offense other than say another lineman.

DocBar
01-09-2011, 10:42 PM
It doesn't take Nosrtodamus to figure out we aren't THAT far from the playoffs. The Texans aren't that badof a team. They need a few pieces and some better coaching. Just like 20 other teamsin the league.

DX-TEX
01-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Big Raiders fan here ...

Asomugha is the Real Deal and Then Some. Texans should be at his house the minute that FA season starts with a blank check. This guy is a shut-down corner, equally adept at man or zone, stout against the run, a team player, a leader, a student of the game, a pillar of the community ... he even still drives the same beat up, dented up Mazda he had in college. He makes Andre Johnson look frivolous.

If it is true that he's going to be a FA, it would be a serious crime to allow him to suit up for any other team other than the Texans in 2011.

Rick? You there? You reading this?

ubecool454
01-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Target Nnamdi Asomugha for sure...I don't like the Marcus Spears and Terrence Newman idea. Baltimore is not letting Ngata leave that town and I would rather draft Nick Fairley DT from Auburn ..if he is there for us to go along with Mario and Antonio Smith. We can get a few more free agents for depth but only after cutting Okoye and Jacoby and Slaton. I wouldn't mind getting Champ Bailey to play FS but something tells me we won't spend the money for Bailey and Nnamdi.

VTexan
01-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Namdi- bailey - pollard - quinn would be helluva a secondary

JCTexan
01-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Big Raiders fan here ...

EDIT: It's a Nissan Maxima ... but really banged up.

Nnamdi is one of my favorite players that isn't on the Texans. He is the Andre Johnson of the DB's in that he is a leader on-and-off the field. High character guy who is one of the best corners in the game (Revis could be debatable). He would easily fix the Houston secondary as he would lock half the field down. I would love for him to be a Texan next year.

Believe me, you don't have to sell Asomugha to me. :)

Kimmy
01-10-2011, 06:26 AM

OK, I'm gonna piggy back on this question as well. When it comes to complete free agency in the off season, does the waiver wire factor in anywhere or is it the highest bid (should) wins?

TheMatrix31
01-10-2011, 07:39 AM
http://splicd.com/5RiuE1rWnso/202/209

That's all I can say.

DerekLee1
01-10-2011, 07:42 AM
OK, I'm gonna piggy back on this question as well. When it comes to complete free agency in the off season, does the waiver wire factor in anywhere or is it the highest bid (should) wins?

Waiver wire rules only apply to players under contract. A free agent is a free agent whose contract has expired or been voided and can negotiate with any team. The restricted/unrestricted status applies to free agent. Simplified, an unrestricted free agent can do whatever he wants with whomever he wants. A restricted free agent can negotiate with any team, but the player's former team has a right to match any offer sheet.

Once a player is under contract, if he is waived from the team, the waiver wire rules apply. Before September 28, the order of claim is based on the previous year's final records, worst to best. AFTER Sept 28, the order is based on the CURRENT records, worst to best. Any team claiming the player is required to pick up the remainder of the contract. If no team claims him, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. Additionally, the waiving team also owes the player the remaining portion of his contract.

Señor Stan
01-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Uncle Bob needs to roll up to Asomugha's house in one of these. I'm not even kidding.
http://abovethelaw.com/_old/2009/10/07/breadline%207%20-%20Brinks%20armored%20truck.jpg

HoustonFrog
01-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Why don't we go after Tramon Williams?....oh yeah, we had him here but felt he wasn't good enough and the Packers made him into a stud who just sealed a playoff win. These guys are popping up everywhere.

DerekLee1
01-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Why don't we go after Tramon Williams?....oh yeah, we had him here but felt he wasn't good enough and the Packers made him into a stud who just sealed a playoff win. These guys are popping up everywhere.

Houston seems to be like high school for professional athletes, with maybe the Rockets being the exception. They cut their teeth and "graduate" from here and then go on to better things.

HoustonFrog
01-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Houston seems to be like high school for professional athletes, with maybe the Rockets being the exception. They cut their teeth and "graduate" from here and then go on to better things.

LOL

The Texans thought John Walker from USC was better than Tramon Williams. On a related note, the Texans were 6-10 with a terrible secondary
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

HOU-TEX
01-10-2011, 10:32 AM

There will be 30 other NFL teams clammoring for Aso the second a new CBA is announced. If he truly wants to win why in God's name would he want to come to Houston?

This has the makings of another Peppers situation. People are going to desperately want the Texans to sign him and almost expect it to happen. Then when he doesn't come here, all the SH's and the like are going rant and rave how we never make big FA splashes.....and McNair's a cheap bastard.

FirstTexansFan
01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
There will be 30 other NFL teams clammoring for Aso the second a new CBA is announced. If he truly wants to win why in God's name would he want to come to Houston?

This has the makings of another Peppers situation. People are going to desperately want the Texans to sign him and almost expect it to happen. Then when he doesn't come here, all the SH's and the like are going rant and rave how we never make big FA splashes.....and McNair's a cheap bastard.

If we make a legitimate attempt, and he decides to go elsewhere, I have no issue with that.

HOU-TEX
01-10-2011, 10:50 AM
If we make a legitimate attempt, and he decides to go elsewhere, I have no issue with that.

Legitimate or not, there will be plenty moaners. We went hard after Leigh Bodden last year and he decided to go back to the Pats. There were still a few that called out McNair for being too cheap.

Ndevine7
01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah, you can still make an offer to a franchise player. I forget the rules as to what you pay as the team that made the offer if the player accepts but it is pretty friggin steep and that's why you don't see too many teams do it. However, if we are switching to a 3-4, Ngata is really the only proven guy out there that I would take right now so it may be worth it.

Too bad Zombie Master Davis out in Oakland will not part with Namdi Aso. at DB.........would love to get him!

Nhamdi is gone next year lets make him the richest cornerback in the history of the nfl

HoustonFrog
01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
The issue will be what the cap is under the new CBA. I just saw a Peter King article...I think the guy is a huge dbag BUT...and he was saying that teams that usually like to spend...Jets, Dallas, Skins, etc won't be able to grab a guy like Aso. Do the Texans have the room to give him the biggest payday and the best opportunity? They are restricting signings pre CBA and teams will be under new rules once he is in the open market so "cash light" rosters will have the best opportunity.

Ndevine7
01-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Ive been high on this guy since he was the 3rd on arizona when he put up 1000 yards as a 3rd wr. He would be a huge upgrade

michaelm
01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Ive been high on this guy since he was the 3rd on arizona when he put up 1000 yards as a 3rd wr. He would be a huge upgrade

The highlighted text has nothing to do with you, or anything you said. It just popped out at me,and made me laugh...

JB
01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
lol:

steelbtexan
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM

^^^^

This

I'm sure the Texans will be targeting the Wade Smiths of CB/S.

If you dont set high goals you can never achieve great things.

That's my big problem with McNair.

A playoff less 9-7 season shouldn't be trumpeted as some kind of major accomplishment. It's medicore at best. It appears that McNair thinks medicore is great and this organization seems to follow its leader from the GM/HC/Players on down.

FR0497
01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
^^^^

This

I'm sure the Texans will be targeting the Wade Smiths of CB/S.

If you dont set high goals you can never achieve great things.

That's my big problem with McNair.

A playoff less 9-7 season shouldn't be trumpeted as some kind of major accomplishment. It's medicore at best. It appears that McNair thinks medicore is great and this organization seems to follow its leader from the GM/HC/Players on down.

A little unfair to lump all of the players into that. I'm pretty sure AJ and a few others would disagree that being mediocre is great.

HoustonFrog
01-10-2011, 05:30 PM
If you go to Evan's Twitter he is debating this point with Texans Chick. So we will see

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

evansilva Evan Silva
Oakland Trib calls the Texans perhaps the "most likely team to write a gigantic check" for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha http://bit.ly/eFEmxw
55 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2011/01/10/where-will-nnamdi-go/

2_Houston Texans

Houston hired Wade Phillips to turn around the defense, more specifically the NFL’s 32nd ranked pass defense. Yes, Asomugha wants to play for a winner and the Texans have never made the post season. The problem this season wasn’t a very good offense, but a pass defense that surrendered 33 touchdown passes and a staggering 100.6 passer rating for opposing quartebacks.

Might be the team most likely to write a gigantic check.

Nawzer
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
The highlighted text has nothing to do with you, or anything you said. It just popped out at me,and made me laugh...

Hahahaha

OzzO
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I think I heard on 610 this morning that they don't think we'll land Aso, but that we should target Josh Wilson (http://www.nfl.com/players/joshwilson/profile?id=WIL737475) from the Ravens and get another player for what it'd cost to get Aso.

BullNation4Life
01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
This is where you will discover just how cheap Bob McNair really is. Aso is EXACTLY, the type of player McNair and company desire. He is good not only on the field but off of it. Think of him as an Andre Johnson playing Defensive back. He is a high character guy, which is they type of players the Texans covet right, so it will come down to one thing and one thing only....

MONEY, MONEY MOOOOONNNNEEEEYYY! MONEY!

If Mcnair is serious about changing things and wants to give his fans hope, there is NO reason Aso should not be in a Texans uni next year....

Question is will he spend the money to get that ONE player that could put everything into place? Guess we will hide and watch...

JB
01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
This is where you will discover just how cheap Bob McNair really is. Aso is EXACTLY, the type of player McNair and company desire. He is good not only on the field but off of it. Think of him as an Andre Johnson playing Defensive back. He is a high character guy, which is they type of players the Texans covet right, so it will come down to one thing and one thing only....

If Mcnair is serious about changing things and wants to give his fans hope, there is NO reason Aso should not be in a Texans uni next year....

Question is will he spend the money to get that ONE player that could put everything into place? Guess we will hide and watch...

Or maybe ASO just didn't want to play here. There is also the cap that you have to consioder. With new contract to both AJ & Ryans, & Mario coming up this team has a lot of salary already. They mentioned this morning on 610 that the Texans had the 3rd highest player payroll in the league last year. McNair does not stint on player salaries. That said, I would love to have ASO here, if he would come here. But it may be better to spend that money on a Jonathan Joseph & Aubrayo Franklin instead.

VTexan
01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
I think I heard on 610 this morning that they don't think we'll land Aso, but that we should target Josh Wilson (http://www.nfl.com/players/joshwilson/profile?id=WIL737475) from the Ravens and get another player for what it'd cost to get Aso.

ahhhhhhh this sounds like the texans I know.

You throw out a big name like Aso then settling doesn't sound too bad. Business 101

ESAD2-14
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Is this the guy that had the Texans logo tattoo, that was drafted a few years ago?

michaelm
01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
ahhhhhhh this sounds like the texans I know.

You throw out a big name like Aso then settling doesn't sound too bad. Business 101

I guess I missed it.... the Texans threw out Aso's name?

SAMURAITEXAN
01-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Is this the guy that had the Texans logo tattoo, that was drafted a few years ago?

I think you are talking about Charles Godfrey of the Panthers.

TheRealJoker
01-11-2011, 04:20 PM

This is the style we have always tried in FA but the problem with it is we dont have a superstar coach to make adding several average players work like the Pats. We pair average players with average coaches which results in average play.

We NEED a big splash FA signing and there has not been a better fit for this team in FA than Aso is this offseason. You wanna get over the hump of mediocrity? You don't add a bunch of mediocre players to "Add depth to what you already have". You add the Andre Johnson of DBs to change the defense completely!

steelbtexan
01-11-2011, 04:57 PM

Yep

steelbtexan
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Or maybe ASO just didn't want to play here. There is also the cap that you have to consioder. With new contract to both AJ & Ryans, & Mario coming up this team has a lot of salary already. They mentioned this morning on 610 that the Texans had the 3rd highest player payroll in the league last year. McNair does not stint on player salaries. That said, I would love to have ASO here, if he would come here. But it may be better to spend that money on a Jonathan Joseph & Aubrayo Franklin instead.

If it meant getting ASO I would let Ryans walk and try to trade MW for a 1st rd pick and use the $$$$ saved on ASO.

ASO is the kinda player you do these things for. There aren't many players like ASO out there.

JB
01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
If it meant getting ASO I would let Ryans walk and try to trade MW for a 1st rd pick and use the $$$$ saved on ASO.

ASO is the kinda player you do these things for. There aren't many players like ASO out there.

Ryans is already under contract, you would not be saving anything. I would only trade Mario for a very high #1. He is one of the top DE in the game, and I don't see the Texans trading him, but if they did it would have to be a very good deal for them and they must have a replacement.

Thorn
01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Trading Mario to get Aso is creating one hole to fill by filling another. What's the point?

ThruThick&Thin
01-11-2011, 06:28 PM
If the players and owners come to an agreement before the deadline, then free agency will begin as scheduled @ 0001 on 3/4/2011. If they do not come to an agreement, the lockout begins. This means player are not allowed any contact with any team regarding contract talks and are not allowed on the premises of the team's facilities until a new agreement is reached. Therefore, free agency will not begin until a new CBA is reached. However, the draft will still take place as schedued due to the fact that current college players are not covered by the CBA.

Hope this helps.

That is good to know. I was worried that their draft homework would suffer from having this looming lock-out weighing on their minds. Now if they have another pitiful draft I will really be pi$$ed off lol

steelbtexan
01-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Trading Mario to get Aso is creating one hole to fill by filling another. What's the point?

You would use the #1 pick you got trading MW to fil MW's spot. Plus you get ASO.

The Texans would be better with ASO and say Watt or Aldon Smith. Than just keeping status quo MW.

dalemurphy
01-11-2011, 06:35 PM

There was a dark time about 20 years ago when I was a petulant, young Dallas Cowboy fan. Like most Cowboy fans, as soon as a big name player became a FA, I treated it like it was Christmas Eve and the only thing standing between me and my new toy was one night’s sleeep. That was then. Today, I am a Texan fan. I have no such illusions that the premier free agent is destined to come to Houston. For many fans, this reality combined with nine consecutive years without a playoff birth is infuriating to deal with. So, today, fans will be screaming at Bob McNair not to be cheap and to “back up the Brinks truck” and “pay the man what he wants”, etc… Some fans will daydream thinking about the possibility and others will simply use Nnambi Asomugha’s impending free agency as an opportunity to convict Bob McNair for treason against the fan base.

Not only is it very unlikely that Asomugha will become a Texan, I think bidding blindly for the CB is a horrible idea. Clearly, the defense will need to be infused with veteran free agents if the team is truly committed to turning it into a strength next season. However, there are a number of complications and factors (other than any alleged frugality of the owner) involved in the attempted acquisition of Nnambi Asomugha:

1. Salary cap ramifications- Last year’s salary cap was roughly $127 million. The idea of giving any player 10% or more of the team’s salary cap room seems fraught with problems, particularly for players that are so far removed from the line of scrimmage. In other words, an elite DT, for instance, impacts every play and an opposing offense is limited in its ability to avoid that elite player’s impact on the game. Think about his: as great as Asomugha has been, he has not been a member of a team with a winning record. If that is so, what does that say about the ability of one, single player (especially if he is not a Qb) to influence a game and the season? Could he make a team better? Certainly. But, in reality, wouldn’t the 3rd or 4th best CB in a solid free agent year (like this one) combined with a NT and maybe some LB depth do more for the team than a single player, without costing more? Also, if I spend $15 million on one 30 year old CB and he pops his ACL in the week 3, where am I now? But, if I spend that money on three players, lose one to injury, I have still improved my team. This season’s special teams’ performance also highights how important quality depth is. In the second scenario, not only is our defense stronger because we have two free agents ugrading the starting unit, but those players also mean better players will be playing on the special teams’ units.

2. CBA Situation- The lockout begins before the scheduled free agency period begins. Therefore, barring a miracle, the off-season schedule will at least be condensed and modified, even if an agreement is reached well before the season. In a condensed FA scenario, it is highly likely that players will be anxious to sign and teams will be anxious to acquire talent quickly. This scenario will likely lead to overbidding on top-tier FAs but also a buyer’s market for second-tier FAs. In addition, there will likely have been adjustments in the new CBA regarding RFAs, Franchise tags, and even the nature of the salary cap, itself. Given this environment, a level of caution is likely warranted.

3. Nnambi Asomugha is 30 years old. Teams will likely offer him a 5 or 6 year contract approaching $100 million. The closest example I can think of to that deal is SF’s 8 year $80 deal given to Nate Clements (who was about 4 years younger at the time). Check out San Fran’s record since that deal was made.

4. Why would Asomugha come to Houston? This isn’t a criticism of the city nor the team. However, it is a question that every team should look at before signing free agents. Asomugha would not come to Houston because his primary concern is winning championships. He would not come to Houston because of a relationship he has with the Texans’ coaching staff. He would not come to Houston to return home (he’s not from Texas). When everything is stripped away, the primary reason Asomugha would come to Houston would be only because the Texans offered him significantly more than any other franchise. Based on that, my question would be “why were the other 31 organizations unwilling to offer Asomugha what the Texans did?” Beyond that, why didn’t any of the elite organizations offer the best player in free agency an offer competitive with Houston’s? The answer is likely to be that they don’t think the player, at that price, is an effective way to improve their team. Does that mean that the Texans would win fewer game in 2011 with Asomugha than without him? Probably not. However, their decision to sign Asomugha to more money than any other NFL team is willing to, certainly impacts their ability to compete for other FAs as well as retain their own personnel.

Now, you may say to yourself, “that’s the nature of FA. Usually, the highest bidder wins”. While that is true, when there are 150 FAs, most FAs will get no interest from the majority of the NFL. Therefore, with most of the group, you are only competing with 5-10 NFL organizations for their services. If the Texans have the worst secondary in the NFL, a reasonable goal in FA is not to, thru FA, turn the secondary into the best in the NFL. The goal should be to strengthen its weakness by making quality signings. That’s where value in NFL free agency is found. Here are some examples of what I mean: CONTINUE READING (http://www.texansbullblog.com/asomugha-hysterics-dojo/featured-articles/)

ESAD2-14
01-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Thanks, saw that Wilson was born in Hou. which made me wonder.

VTexan
01-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I guess I missed it.... the Texans threw out Aso's name?

I meant putting his name out in the media as a possible FA pickup.

mussop
01-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks, saw that Wilson was born in Hou. which made me wonder.

He is Tim Wilsons son. The Tim Wilson that blocked for Earl. His coach was wades daddy. Watch us take him and the "GOOD OLE BOYS NETWORK" rumors explode! :wadepalm:

JB
01-11-2011, 07:56 PM
He is Tim Wilsons son. The Tim Wilson that blocked for Earl. His coach was wades daddy. Watch us take him and the "GOOD OLE BOYS NETWORK" rumors explode! :wadepalm:

Oh yeah! If we sign him at all, watch out for flying nonsensical crap!

SAMURAITEXAN
01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't know much about Tim Wilson's son but, Tim was a real nice FB for Earl.

Go Texans!!!

Dishman
01-11-2011, 08:57 PM

Yeah, I agree. I'd rather see us bring in two D-backs with plus skills than one superstar. No doubt Aso would help the secondary, but he can't be everywhere at once. Plus, maybe you get more flexibility down the road with two separate contracts as opposed to one whopper.

PHAROAH
01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I think that Pittsburgh OLB - Lamar Woodley would be my free agent target along with CB - Antonio Cromartie who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season and the jets are so strapped for cash they won't be able to resign him. If we can't get Cromartie who is very talented then I suggest we go after CB - Ike Taylor who is 30 years of age and is still playing at a high level instead of the 32 year old champ bailey.

JB
01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
What do you think of Jonathan Joseph? I think he is also a FA, and only 26.

PHAROAH
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
What do you think of Jonathan Joseph? I think he is also a FA, and only 26. Now that would be a great signing and he has experience and blazing speed nice one right there homie.

JB
01-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Now that would be a great signing and he has experience and blazing speed nice one right there homie.

:tiphat:

He is my number 1 pick up. Based on age, ability, and signability.

PHAROAH
01-11-2011, 11:35 PM
:tiphat:

He is my number 1 pick up. Based on age, ability, and signability.Yeah that's a nice one I must admit and that's why I picked Lamar Woodley as well he has been in the league what 4 full seasons and he is about to hit the free agent market Pittsburgh is crazy!!!!

dalemurphy
01-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah that's a nice one I must admit and that's why I picked Lamar Woodley as well he has been in the league what 4 full seasons and he is about to hit the free agent market Pittsburgh is crazy!!!!

Here is a non-exhaustive wish list of players likely hitting the FA market that we would hopefully have some interest in (I didn't bother to include guys like Ngata and Aso). From Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/asomugha-hysterics-dojo/featured-articles/):

With that in mind, here is a condensed list of likely 2011 FA CBs the Texans could be in the market for:

Champ Bailey
Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Johnathan Joseph
Antonio Cromarti
Ike Taylor
Richard Marshall
Drayton Florence
Chris Houston
Brandon Carr
Eric Wright

There are others as well. My hope and suggestion would be that the Texans would do quality scouting and assessment of each of these players. Then, target three or four of them that are ideally suited for Wade’s scheme and enter the market determined to grab one of them. Other than Bailey, these CBs are all abot 2-3 years young than Asomugha, many of them would significantly upgrade the Texans’ CB play, and can be acquired for significantly less money that Asomugha will be.

The Texans can then turn their attention to other FAs to strengthen their defense and aid in their conversion to Wade’s 3-4. Here are some recognizable players that could fit the Texans’ plans in 2011 scheduled to be free agents:

DE/OLB (outside rusher)
Lamar Woodley
Tamba Hali
Mathias Kiwanuka
Cliff Avril
Bryan Robison
Victor Abiamari

3-4 DE/DT/NT
Cullen Jenkins
Charles Johnson
Ray Edwards
Shaun Ellis
Richard Seymour
Aubrayo Franklin (affordable, young, and excellent NT for a 3-4 ***)
Alan Branch
Gabe Wilson
John McCargo
Gerard Warren

Safety
Quinten Mikell
Eric Weddle
Dawan Landry
Atari Bigby
Daniel Manning
Abram Elam
Melvin Bullitt
Gerald Sensabaugh
Jarrad Page

It is an impressive list of CBs, Safeties, and there are a number of interesting front 7 options as well... Typical Houston Texan fortune, though... we won't have an opportunity to enjoy the free agent signing period in March because of the lockout

steelbtexan
01-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't know much about Tim Wilson's son but, Tim was a real nice FB for Earl.

Go Texans!!!

Did Tim Wilson pass away?

He was one tough guy.

steelbtexan
01-12-2011, 12:01 AM
What do you think of Jonathan Joseph? I think he is also a FA, and only 26.

Depending on the CBA, Joseph will probably be frachised.

steelbtexan
01-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Here is a non-exhaustive wish list of players likely hitting the FA market that we would hopefully have some interest in (I didn't bother to include guys like Ngata and Aso). From Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/asomugha-hysterics-dojo/featured-articles/):

With that in mind, here is a condensed list of likely 2011 FA CBs the Texans could be in the market for:

Champ Bailey
Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Johnathan Joseph
Antonio Cromarti
Ike Taylor
Richard Marshall
Drayton Florence
Chris Houston
Brandon Carr
Eric Wright

There are others as well. My hope and suggestion would be that the Texans would do quality scouting and assessment of each of these players. Then, target three or four of them that are ideally suited for Wade’s scheme and enter the market determined to grab one of them. Other than Bailey, these CBs are all abot 2-3 years young than Asomugha, many of them would significantly upgrade the Texans’ CB play, and can be acquired for significantly less money that Asomugha will be.

The Texans can then turn their attention to other FAs to strengthen their defense and aid in their conversion to Wade’s 3-4. Here are some recognizable players that could fit the Texans’ plans in 2011 scheduled to be free agents:

DE/OLB (outside rusher)
Lamar Woodley
Tamba Hali
Mathias Kiwanuka
Cliff Avril
Bryan Robison
Victor Abiamari

3-4 DE/DT/NT
Cullen Jenkins
Charles Johnson
Ray Edwards
Shaun Ellis
Richard Seymour
Alan Branch
Gabe Wilson
John McCargo
Gerard Warren

Safety
Quinten Mikell
Eric Weddle
Dawan Landry
Atari Bigby
Daniel Manning
Abram Elam
Melvin Bullitt
Gerald Sensabaugh
Jarrad Page

It is an impressive list of CBs, Safeties, and there are a number of interesting front 7 options as well... Typical Houston Texan fortune, though... we won't have an opportunity to enjoy the free agent signing period in March because of the lockout

The Steelers probably will re-sign Woodley. This may cause Taylor to hit the FA market. He would be the kinda guy that the Texans could be looking at signing.

Another S that could become a FA,can play a little and should come cheap is Donte Whither. I hope the Texans take a look at a vet S like this. He has better cover skills than Pollard and is good in run support. But is a bit injury prone.

mussop
01-12-2011, 12:28 AM

Champ Bailey
Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Johnathan Joseph
Antonio Cromarti
Ike Taylor
Richard Marshall
Drayton Florence
Chris Houston
Brandon Carr
Eric Wright

DE/OLB (outside rusher)
Lamar Woodley
Tamba Hali
Mathias Kiwanuka
Cliff Avril
Bryan Robison
Victor Abiamari

3-4 DE/DT/NT
Cullen Jenkins
Charles Johnson
Ray Edwards
Shaun Ellis
Richard Seymour
Alan Branch
Gabe Wilson
John McCargo
Gerard Warren

Safety
Quinten Mikell
Eric Weddle
Dawan Landry
Atari Bigby
Daniel Manning
Abram Elam
Melvin Bullitt
Gerald Sensabaugh
Jarrad Page

Maybe reuniting Mario with his old collage teammate (and Im sure friend) will make this transition to a 3/4 a little easier.

TexansSeminole
01-12-2011, 03:21 AM
The Steelers probably will re-sign Woodley. This may cause Taylor to hit the FA market. He would be the kinda guy that the Texans could be looking at signing.

Another S that could become a FA,can play a little and should come cheap is Donte Whither. I hope the Texans take a look at a vet S like this. He has better cover skills than Pollard and is good in run support. But is a bit injury prone.

I have always really liked Ike Taylor. He's been Pittsburgh's best cover man for years. A veteran starting caliber corner that won't ask for Champ Bailey type money could be exactly what we are looking for. I also like the idea of seeing what Jonathan Joseph, Antonio Cromartie, and even Carlos Rogers want. Picking up Ike Taylor and Carlos Rogers would be good if we completely strike out in our search for linebackers and defensive lineman in FA.

If the above list is correct I am looking at Dawan Landry, Quinten Mikell, and Eric Weddle for safeties, LaMar Woodley and Tamba Hali for linebackers, and Aubrayo Franklin and Richard Seymour for defensive lineman.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Did Tim Wilson pass away?

He was one tough guy.

Yap.

Date of birth: January 14, 1954
Place of birth: New Castle, DE
Date of death: November 23, 1996 (aged 42)

RIP Tim Wilson

infantrycak
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Yeah like James Harrison the three time pro-bowler the incompetent Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens let go before anyone could evaluate his talent.

dalemurphy
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Yeah like James Harrison the three time pro-bowler the incompetent Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens let go before anyone could evaluate his talent.

I agree with the general sentiment that attacking a move like that years later, after a player has developed, is hypercritical (to say the least). However, it has been my argument for a couple seasons now that the Texans really struggle make intrapersonnel decisions and assessing players already part of the organization.

Examples this season:

cutting Jacques Reeves and Mark Parsons and keeping Molden.. but, refusing to play Molden all season despite the horrific CB play

Cutting Tim Jamison in order to cycle thru a bunch of hasbeens, instead of recognizing his abilities as I did last season. Fortunately, they brought him back later in the season.

Exposing Shelley Smith and Stever Maneri (snatched up by NE) to other organizations on cutdown day in order to protect guys like Kasey Studdard and Jesse Nading.

Keeping Frank Okam and cutting Deljuan Robinson. It was Okam's 3rd season with the organization and they still didn't recognize his worthlessness... Myself and plenty others could recognize it watching 15 minutes of training camp practice: lazy, unmotivated, soft.

Relentless trotting Steve Slaton out on the kick return team.

infantrycak
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I agree with the general sentiment that attacking a move like that years later, after a player has developed, is hypercritical (to say the least). However, it has been my argument for a couple seasons now that the Texans really struggle make intrapersonnel decisions and assessing players already part of the organization. .

Understand where you are coming from but mistakes get made. I would have kept Reeves but then again 90% of folks here wanted him gone and now somehow that is a huge mistake. Okam didn't work here but now he is on a team with a better record than the Texans and HoustonFrog would probably list him as the Texans missing on their talent evaluation. No real point other than this stuff is more art than science.

JB
01-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Understand where you are coming from but mistakes get made. I would have kept Reeves but then again 90% of folks here wanted him gone and now somehow that is a huge mistake. Okam didn't work here but now he is on a team with a better record than the Texans and HoustonFrog would probably list him as the Texans missing on their talent evaluation. No real point other than this stuff is more art than science.

Yeah, mistakes happen. And sometimes the players just don't fit what the coaches are trying to do. If Reeves was good enough to keep, he would be on someone's team. And TB is sure liking what Okam does for them.

That's one of the things I really liked hearing from Wade. Find out what the players do well, and put them in a position to do that.

whiskeyrbl
01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
In free agency I would like to see the Texans pursue the obvious Nnamdi and Champ and Ngata but probably won't happen so I was looking at some less expensive players.

1. Paul Posluszny ILB Buff.

2. Brent Grimes CB Tampa Bay

3. Dawan Landry S Baltimore

4. Champ Bailey CB/ FS Denver

Ok I know it is a pipe dream but could you imagine, if Uncle Bob opened his wallet and brought these 4 F/A here. WOW !

Williams / Cody or Draft pick/ Smith on the line

Barwin Wolb/ Posluszny Wilb / Ryans Silb / Cushing Solb

Grimes, Quinn CB

Bailey FS

Landry SS

Of course i will settle for even 1 of these guys

We could get us a NT, CB, FS, WR and more depth in the Draft. Feel free at this time to destroy.

The Pencil Neck
01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Keeping Frank Okam and cutting Deljuan Robinson. It was Okam's 3rd season with the organization and they still didn't recognize his worthlessness... Myself and plenty others could recognize it watching 15 minutes of training camp practice: lazy, unmotivated, soft.

OTOH, Okam played well for the Buccs.

MFG16
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Champ Bailey
Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers
Johnathan Joseph
Antonio Cromarti
Ike Taylor
Richard Marshall
Drayton Florence
Chris Houston
Brandon Carr
Eric Wright

DE/OLB (outside rusher)
Lamar Woodley
Tamba Hali
Mathias Kiwanuka
Cliff Avril
Bryan Robison
Victor Abiamari

3-4 DE/DT/NT
Cullen Jenkins
Charles Johnson
Ray Edwards
Shaun Ellis
Richard Seymour
Alan Branch
Gabe Wilson
John McCargo
Gerard Warren

Safety
Quinten Mikell
Eric Weddle
Dawan Landry
Atari Bigby
Daniel Manning
Abram Elam
Melvin Bullitt
Gerald Sensabaugh
Jarrad Page

I think its been JB who has been on the J. Joseph bandwagon and I hope theres room on there because if this guy becomes a FA I say we go hard after him. He's young, good (and hasn't even met his full potential), and would be much cheaper the Aso. A combo of Joseph, Marshall or Taylor, and Wright is not only realistic for the Texans but would improve the secondary by a ton.

TheCD
01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
In free agency I would like to see the Texans pursue the obvious Nnamdi and Champ and Ngata but probably won't happen so I was looking at some less expensive players.

1. Paul Posluszny ILB Buff.

2. Brent Grimes CB Tampa Bay

3. Dawan Landry S Baltimore

4. Champ Bailey CB/ FS Denver

Ok I know it is a pipe dream but could you imagine, if Uncle Bob opened his wallet and brought these 4 F/A here. WOW !

Williams / Cody or Draft pick/ Smith on the line

Barwin Wolb/ Posluszny Wilb / Ryans Silb / Cushing Solb

Grimes, Quinn CB

Bailey FS
Landry SS

Of course i will settle for even 1 of these guys

We could get us a NT, CB, FS, WR and more depth in the Draft. Feel free at this time to destroy.

Bailey won't be a FS for another 3-4 years. Who else would you target?

infantrycak
01-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Eric Weddle FS, San Diego

whisky - Grimes is with Atlanta not Tampa Bay but he definitely should be a target.

Carlos Rogers CB, Washington should be on the call list.

Brandon Mebane DT, Seattle should be looked at.

TheCD
01-13-2011, 11:42 AM

whisky - Grimes is with Atlanta not Tampa Bay but he definitely should be a target.

Seeing Kubiak and Shanahan's relationship, do you see it possible for a trade involving Amobi (and possibly draft picks) for a secondary or LB on their roster? I know they made the switch to the 3/4, but they run a different system than us. If not Amobi, then perhaps (though I hate to suggest it) Antonio?

HOTPEPPERPIE
01-13-2011, 11:45 AM
One name...Nnamdi Asomugha. Go get him, Bob.

infantrycak
01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Seeing Kubiak and Shanahan's relationship, do you see it possible for a trade involving Amobi (and possibly draft picks) for a secondary or LB on their roster? I know they made the switch to the 3/4, but they run a different system than us. If not Amobi, then perhaps (though I hate to suggest it) Antonio?

Rogers is going to be a free agent so no need to trade for him. I don't see them trading Orakpo and Alexander doesn't light any fires. I don't see it.

whiskeyrbl
01-14-2011, 04:45 PM

Weddle from SD is attractive but doubt our guys go after him if SD even let's him get away. Deon Grant who I believe is a FS for the NYG is a player I would look at, also Sean Considine of the Jax Jags is interesting to me. None of these guys are big names and have their problems at times but would be an improvement to our D none the less.

srrono
01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
CB'S need lock down CB priority 1
Champ Bailey DEN
Nnamdi Asomugha OAK
Brent Grimes ATL

S'S need playmakers
Quintin Mikell PHI
Eric Weddle SD

LB'S need a 4th LB for 3-4 def
LaMarr Woodley PIT
Tamba Hali KC
David Harris NYJ

DE'S Mario sidekick
Mathias Kiwanuka NYG
Jason Babin TEN
Charles Johnson CAR

DL'S 3-4 NT
Haloti Ngata BAL
Richard Seymour OAK

WR'S Help for Adre low need
Vincent Jackson SD
Malcom Floyd SD
Santonio Holmes NYJ
Mike Williams SEA
Sidney Rice MIN
Braylon Edwards NYJ

srrono
01-18-2011, 01:41 PM
would Jason Babin come back to houston?

gary
01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't know if it is a system thing with the Titans but he seems to fit in rather perfectly there IMHO.

BigBull17
01-18-2011, 03:05 PM
The Titans are 100% a system. Their dline coaching is the best in the NFL. When their guys leave, they really don't do well.

I don't think Babin would come back, cause they hurt his pee pee. He is a little cocky ***** anyway. Why take him back? He was invisible until last year in Suckville USA.

gary
01-18-2011, 07:06 PM
The Titans are 100% a system. Their dline coaching is the best in the NFL. When their guys leave, they really don't do well.

I don't think Babin would come back, cause they hurt his pee pee. He is a little cocky ***** anyway. Why take him back? He was invisible until last year in Suckville USA.The reason why Jason will stay put IMHO.

The Pencil Neck
01-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Why would he? He's doing well in a 4-3. Why would he take a chance on coming here and changing position? He's bounced around a lot. He did OK in Philly and finally got it together in Tennessee.

gary
01-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't see any reason why he would.

VTexan
01-19-2011, 12:04 AM
He was invisible until last year in Suckville USA.

last year in Suckville USA.

Suckville USA.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/icetwister68/1295412976191s.jpg

TexCanada
01-19-2011, 01:25 AM

I agree with this. Mebane is fairly under-rated (I think) and could possibly be had for a reasonable price. Should be a guy we consider.

ThruThick&Thin
01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Depending on the CBA, Joseph will probably be frachised.

What about Leon Hall? Still under contract? I always felt like they had a top 3 pair of CB's in CIN. There are a lot of good corners out there really. I don't really trust Cromartie, even though I think he is a card, because he just has a lot of baggage and I almost feel like he would come to us just to be able to pay for all of his kids. That's all we need is to shell out top dollars and have him go 65% on all of our snaps.

However... was Wade his DC in SD at any point in time?