PDA

View Full Version : The arrival of Wade starts a whole new Kubiak era

Texecutioner
01-05-2011, 11:09 PM
I think it does. All Mcnair will need to see is the most minimal improvement just like when Kubiak was first hired to be happy "where this team is going". Now that Wade is here and he has the "Phillips" name and pedigree, Bob will feel like Wade will need a few years to turn this horrible defense around and that Kubiak is just fine with the offense. It will be on the defense to get their things together now. I think this gives Kubiak possibly even two more years of no playoffs, because Bob will look at this like a whole new situation that will need more time to turn around. I think his next excuse is that one year was not long enough for Wade to put his footprint on this defense and that "he'll need his time."

Get ready for a lot longer of more Kubiak win or lose and playoffs or no playoffs. Kubiak just got grandfathered for another two seasons at least and probably even three.

GuerillaBlack
01-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Sucks, but it's the truth, unless we win 3 or less games next season, Kubiak will be back no matter what. McNair is pretty dumb, tbh.

DerekLee1
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I think it does. All Mcnair will need to see is the most minimal improvement just like when Kubiak was first hired to be happy "where this team is going". Now that Wade is here and he has the "Phillips" name and pedigree, Bob will feel like Wade will need a few years to turn this horrible defense around and that Kubiak is just fine with the offense. It will be on the defense to get their things together now. I think this gives Kubiak possibly even two more years of no playoffs, because Bob will look at this like a whole new situation that will need more time to turn around. I think his next excuse is that one year was not long enough for Wade to put his footprint on this defense and that "he'll need his time."

Get ready for a lot longer of more Kubiak win or lose and playoffs or no playoffs. Kubiak just got grandfathered for another two seasons at least and probably even three.

I hope you're wrong. I want to see a solid record AND playoffs in 2011. Especially if Cowher is still available. I think having Wade here is like when they kept Carr after Kubiak was hired. Regardless of the extension, you've got one year or else.

GP
01-05-2011, 11:16 PM

Yeah, I will co-sign what you're saying.

It's essentially a fresh start. The only way this ends for Kubiak is if Wade's defense becomes an overnight, instantly awesome defense that does its job well...while Kubiak's offense sputters and plays its best ball with 2 minutes left in each game.

There could be such a huge disparity between Kubiak's offense and Wade's defense, that it becomes such a glaring problem in terms of isolating Kubiak out on an island...like his cornerbacks were all season long. That's going to lead to Kubiak falling down and getting burned too much.

Which MIGHT cause McNair to fire Kubiak. And we all know who takes over at that point, don't we? Yep.

Round and round we go, where we stop...well, everyone knows.

Texecutioner
01-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I hope you're wrong. I want to see a solid record AND playoffs in 2011. Especially if Cowher is still available. I think having Wade here is like when they kept Carr after Kubiak was hired. Regardless of the extension, you've got one year or else.

I thought about it more, and honestly you can't expect a guy to just come right in and transform an entire defense that's been arguably the worst of all time around in one season. Especially if he converts it to a 3-4. It's possible to get a significant improvement, but you can't "expect" it. I think that Bob will now be even more patient than ever, because he'll have the same type of belief in Wade that he has in Kubiak, and he'll feel Wade just needs "more time" to turn this defense into a dominant unit to go along with this so called great mythical offense that Mcnair thinks Kubes has. I could see a failure of a season where Mcnair feels like Wade needs at least two seasons and that it wouldn't be fair to fire Kubiak or Wade under that situation because "they'll be so close" in his mind.

GP
01-05-2011, 11:19 PM

That's the best possible ending to this story.

Wade is brought in, to try and help Gary's wittle football team get all better, and Kubiak crumbles (under the pressure) and there's Cowher....

HOWEVER....

You fail to make allowances for McNair just sliding Wade right into the HC spot.

To be honest, I just don't see McNair finally "GETTING IT" that Bill Cowher will have now waited TWO years for the Texas position to open up.

At some point, Cowher has to know that he's gotta' get some compromising photos of McNair if he's going to become the Texans new HC.

EllisUnit
01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
i think that a little improvement in the defense and we will be fine, if we can only allow 21-24 points a game i can still see us making the playoffs in 2011. if not for our young CBs. we all know we'd be preparing to play in our first ever play-off game.

Rey
01-05-2011, 11:22 PM
At this point I can't even speculate about Kubiaks future beyond this year...

I'm into off-season mode now...

Just wanna see the team make moves to improve....

DerekLee1
I thought about it more, and honestly you can't expect a guy to just come right in and transform an entire defense that's been arguably the worst of all time around in one season. Especially if he converts it to a 3-4. It's possible to get a significant improvement, but you can't "expect" it. I think that Bob will now be even more patient than ever, because he'll have the same type of belief in Wade that he has in Kubiak, and he'll feel Wade just needs "more time" to turn this defense into a dominant unit to go along with this so called great mythical offense that Mcnair thinks Kubes has. I could see a failure of a season where Mcnair feels like Wade needs at least two seasons and that it wouldn't be fair to fire Kubiak or Wade under that situation because "they'll be so close" in his mind.

With a weaker schedule next year and a legit DC calling plays, I think making the playoffs should be the MINIMUM expectation of this team next year.

I think it's a win-win for the team and fans. Either Kubiak finally gets over the hump and we're a playoff team, or installing the 3-4 sets the table for the Cowher 2012 transition. (yes, I think Cowher will still be available, as no one has made a run at him, and his "top 3 teams of interest" are all retaining their coaches)

beerlover
To be honest, I just don't see McNair finally "GETTING IT" that Bill Cowher will have now waited TWO years for the Texas position to open up.

At some point, Cowher has to know that he's gotta' get some compromising photos of McNair if he's going to become the Texans new HC.

well if his #1 Cheerleader keeps this up, maybe not! :sbad:

TEXANRED

All Phillips does is win where ever he goes so I don't get the "It's gonna take a few years." approach.

Wade is a great hire. Best hire this organization has ever had.

Not to mention he has coached Ware, Bruce Smith, and Merriman.

We are going to KILL Manning next year. Screw the CB's. The rush is going to have the QB's flat on their ass before they can even pass.

dream_team
01-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I think if Wade can transform these guys to a top 10 defense, but we still fall below 10 wins and miss the playoffs, I think Bob will run out of excuses for Kubiak.

One reason I think Wade took this job is because he knows Gary is on the hot seat next season and he can be in a good position to take over.

DerekLee1
01-05-2011, 11:29 PM
We are going to KILL Manning next year. Screw the CB's. The rush is going to have the QB's flat on their ass before they can even pass.

I hope so. But Manning has a knack for carving up 3-4 defenses. Just ask Rex Ryan.

TimeKiller
So...what if they go 10-6 but don't make the playoffs somehow. Good enough? Probably for McNair. Long Live Kubiak.

Htownsportsfan
I agree that when you look at the situation it seems to set up Kubiak for a return again after next season. Especially if the lockout does take place and ends up having a big impact on adding personnel.

That said a case can be made that this team could make the playoffs next year. If you think about how many games could have been different with just a mediocre defense instead of a good awful defense and a more consistent offense. I was a proponent of change at HC but its conceivable that with the slightest improvement on defense we could be in the playoff hunt. Even if they dont turn out to be super talented players Jackson/Quinn/Sharpton/Mitchell should all be better with a year under their belt. You would also think having Cushing from day 1and Demeco and Barwin back in the lineup would have to help a ton as well.

That said we still need to do a better job and make some major headway in FA.

TEXANRED
01-05-2011, 11:31 PM
I think if Wade can transform these guys to a top 10 defense, but we still fall below 10 wins and miss the playoffs, I think Bob will run out of excuses for Kubiak.

One reason I think Wade took this job is because he knows Gary is on the hot seat next season and he can be in a good position to take over.

I wouldn't cry over that.

Each time he get fired at the HC it's by a jackhole owner. Buffalo, Denver, Dallas. And it's always over something stupid.

Texecutioner
01-05-2011, 11:33 PM
All Phillips does is win where ever he goes so I don't get the "It's gonna take a few years." approach.

Wade is a great hire. Best hire this organization has ever had.

Not to mention he has coached Ware, Bruce Smith, and Merriman.

This to me sounds like very overly optimistic homerish thinking honestly. Having this much confidence in a coach that historically doesn't hold his players accountable where they lack focus on a team where that's the biggest problem does not automatically equal out to this being this great hire. Actually on paper Wade is probably the worst hire of any coach on the horizon. You've got a team that has suffered from two horribly soft coaches back to back where the players have never felt any urgency to perform for their jobs and their humility because Houston fans treat the players like their Gods or something.

Wade had a team full of all types of talent in Dallas and that team fell right on it's face and was the worst team in the league other than when they played the Texans before he was fired this year and many picked Dallas to be in the SB. Why the hell was that? Because Wade is weak and Wade is the type of coach where his voice gets old real fast if he's expected to be a leader as a coach. Sure he's a great DC. No one would argue that. He's been a great coordinator under HC's that are strong minded personalities that had their teams in order though and didn't lack a ton of focus. Wade is good at being the good cop to the bad cop. He's good at being the nice parent that's understanding. Kubiak is already here and he's that same role. They're both sweety pies. That's a recipe for disaster. Whether Wade gets this defense turned around really fast or not is besides the point honestly. Kubiak will still be here and them two together will get real old to the players on this team eventually and you're completely kidding yourself if you think that the players here will take these two coaches seriously after two seasons together.

Even if the Texans make the playoffs next year. Two softies as coaches with a softy as an owner = No accountability which leads to a lack of focus and poor leadership which is already here.

Jackie Chiles
01-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I hope so. But Manning has a knack for carving up 3-4 defenses. Just ask Rex Ryan.

Actually 3-4 defenses have historically given Manning more trouble. New England and San Diego have much longer histories with Peyton than the Jets. As a disclaimer, any defense whether 4-3 or 3-4 that is going to make life tough on Manning needs to be talented and well coached. Wonder what its like to have one of those...

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Actually 3-4 defenses have historically given Manning more trouble. New England and San Diego have much longer histories with Peyton than the Jets. As a disclaimer, any defense whether 4-3 or 3-4 that is going to make life tough on Manning needs to be talented and well coached. Wonder what its like to have one of those...

I don't really recall Peyton having trouble with SD or NE, but my memory may be failing me at the moment. It seemed to me it was always the Colts D that had trouble stopping Brady and Rivers.

dream_team
01-06-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't really recall Peyton having trouble with SD or NE, but my memory may be failing me at the moment. It seemed to me it was always the Colts D that had trouble stopping Brady and Rivers.

Either way, we already have trouble against Peyton. Might as well try something new. Worst case scenario, he torches us like he usually does.

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2011, 12:53 AM

Manning threw plenty of interceptions against those two teams. Especially NE in the playoffs. You don't remember that one year when Indy was the top offense and the Pats D held them to like three points in the playoffs?

Jackie Chiles
01-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Manning threw plenty of interceptions against those two teams. Especially NE in the playoffs. You don't remember that one year when Indy was the top offense and the Pats D held them to like three points in the playoffs?

I also believe San Diego had a 6 int and another 5 int game against Peyton. Not to mention the dismantling this season.

Norg
01-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Or maybe he will Fire Kubes and make Phillps Da new Coach

if things go really bad do u think he would fire Gary Mid season ????????????

ThaShark316
01-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I disagree completely.

houstonspartan
01-06-2011, 01:28 AM
I have been saying for the last few days that we have to seriously consider that Kubiak may be this franchise's permanent coach. I am serious. People have said that McNair came down hard on him this week. I don't buy it, but even if he did, SOMETHING else will come up next year (I'm guessing injuries) that will allow Kubiak to dodge blame.

This is our coach, probably for the next 10 years at least, regardless of his record.

No joke.

Texanmike02
01-06-2011, 01:39 AM

Manning was terrible vs NE for years. Mostly in the cold... but NE was the monkey on Mannings back for most of the 2000s.

Mike

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2011, 02:26 AM
I have been saying for the last few days that we have to seriously consider that Kubiak may be this franchise's permanent coach. I am serious. People have said that McNair came down hard on him this week. I don't buy it, but even if he did, SOMETHING else will come up next year (I'm guessing injuries) that will allow Kubiak to dodge blame.

This is our coach, probably for the next 10 years at least, regardless of his record.

No joke.

Stop with the scary thoughts.

wagonhed
01-06-2011, 02:48 AM
Round and round we go, where we stop...well, everyone knows.

Yep... first week in January.

:wadepalm:

Thorn
01-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Well, it really doesn't matter now how we feel about this, does it? Unless you are a season ticket holder and don't re-up, then nothing else matters. McNoob certainly doesn't care about or read this BBS.

So, I'm probably going to try and get hopefull yet again. Just like I do every off season even though it never works out for me. It's seems like it's nothing but a horrible reoccuring nightmare being a Houston football fan.

These two smilies are going to get a lot of future use: :kubepalm::wadepalm:

TheMatrix31
01-06-2011, 07:46 AM

No joke.

No. I don't think so. If it doesn't work this year, he's done.

IDEXAN
01-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Bob McNair is dumb like a fox: he's now brought in a solid, experienced defensive coordinator who has also to some extent diffused the criticism and frustration of Texans fans about keeping Kubiak on by creating the impression of a dual HC arrangement between Phillips & Kubiak.

FirstTexansFan
01-06-2011, 07:55 AM
i think that a little improvement in the defense and we will be fine, if we can only allow 21-24 points a game i can still see us making the playoffs in 2011. if not for our young CBs. we all know we'd be preparing to play in our first ever play-off game.

Posting from a contraband phone inside TDC... which I'm sure doesn't smell quite right btw... and even down in the hole, his sunshine comes through :wadepalm:

TexanBacker93
01-06-2011, 08:14 AM
The scenario I'm interested in is if we see a slight improvement, but still don' make the playoffs. Maybe we get back to 8-8. Does McNair extend Kubiak again? He'd be in that same lame duck situation with only 1 year remaining on his contract.

El Tejano
01-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Yeah but Wade Phillips punked him in San Diego. Chargers went 3-1 against Manning. Lossed to them in 04, beat them in Indy in 05 and then beat them twice (once at home and once in the playoffs) in 07. In all the wins, they never gave up more than 24 points.

EllisUnit
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Posting from a contraband phone inside TDC... which I'm sure doesn't smell quite right btw... and even down in the hole, his sunshine comes through :wadepalm:

as funny as that is i worked there for 2 years, i now work in the oilfield and live in dallas :bravo: but that was funny man !!!

HuttoKarl
01-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Thanks for taking a steamy dump on my day. :wild:

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 10:23 AM
The scenario I'm interested in is if we see a slight improvement, but still don' make the playoffs. Maybe we get back to 8-8. Does McNair extend Kubiak again? He'd be in that same lame duck situation with only 1 year remaining on his contract.

I don't think so. It also depends on circumstance. McNair is no Bud Adams. He's not gonna make some knee-jerk reaction like Bud Adams used to do, firing the winningest coach in franchise history after losing in the AFC Championship game.

Although there are a lot of people that disagree (and I'm personally indifferent at this point), I can see McNair's thinking. You have a Top 5 offense. You have a 30th-ranked defense. Do you blow up the whole team at that point, which is what you risk with a coaching turnover, or do you make a last-gasp effort by changing the part of the organization that's not working?

It's not like he let Kubiak go out and pick up some scrub buddy of his. He forced his hand and made him pick THE OWNER'S guy, a proven, solid experienced defensive guru who has had success at every stop. You also think it's coincidence that the guy he puts behind Kubiak also has head coaching experience?

Nay, this is Kubiak's last chance. I think McNair will pull the trigger midseason if it starts going south, and blow up everyone in the offseason. Hiring Wade is a complete turnaround in everything McNair has done to this point: getting a proven guy with success as a HC.

BigBull17
01-06-2011, 10:31 AM

Manning HATES the 3-4. He always becomes angry Peyton. He carved Caper's and Fangio's 3-4. Katy High School could have done that.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Manning HATES the 3-4. He always becomes angry Peyton. He carved Caper's and Fangio's 3-4. Katy High School could have done that.

But since '08 he's consistently beaten teams with the 3-4. Jags, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Pats, Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals. He USED to have trouble with the 3-4 but seems to have figured it out.

Double Barrel
01-06-2011, 11:05 AM

yep. I think Kubiak has at least two more years. Installing a new defense is TRAUMATIC, you know, and takes two years minimum (in Boob's perspective, of course). Plus, with the looming lockout, Wade has the benefit of an excuse in that he did not get a full off-season to install his defense.

What makes a fan really tingly is the thought that McNair now has his future head coach on staff!

This is the next decade of Texans football. Anyone who disagrees is just avoiding our owner's M.O. and the operational history of this organization. They are refusing to stare inept in the face.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM

I'm not interested in that scenario. I'm not "curious", "interested", "intrigued", none of that. I could give a crap about the politics or "what if"s.

I want an f'ing DEEP PLAYOFF RUN. Period.

GP
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
yep. I think Kubiak has at least two more years. Installing a new defense is TRAUMATIC, you know, and takes two years minimum (in Boob's perspective, of course). Plus, with the looming lockout, Wade has the benefit of an excuse in that he did not get a full off-season to install his defense.

What makes a fan really tingly is the thought that McNair now has his future head coach on staff!

This is the next decade of Texans football. Anyone who disagrees is just avoiding our owner's M.O. and the operational history of this organization. They are refusing to stare inept in the face.

I am fed up with your inability to understand that HCC Trauma is a very well-documented, and paralyzing, condition.

Those affected by Head Coaching Change Trauma (HCC Trauma) are locked away in an emotional prison. And you, sir, have the keys in your hand and are laughing at their plight.

Luckily, the state has instituted a program to help those with HCC Trauma.

It begins with vocalizing certain "safety" phrases that bring about a sense of calm and control in one's life: "Our team is a good team. Our team is a nice team. Our team is in good hands. Our owner likes us. He is loyal. Our players are well-cared for. Our coaches are working on things." If you repeat these phrases, you will find yourself in a better, happier place.

Our meetings are from 4-5 p.m. on M-W-F, and we meet at Reliant. I encourage you to attend these meetings and to be more open-minded.

b0ng
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Nah, not buying it. While the pessimistic overtones are a welcome change (ha) around here I don't think this is the nightmare scenario that you soapers are envisioning. I think it's just as likely, if not more likely, that Wade was brought in to be an interim HC if Kubiak continues on to mediocre ways.

The real nightmare is if Kubiak somehow stumbles in to the playoffs. Then you can go ahead and fear about the future if that happens.

GP
01-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Nah, not buying it. While the pessimistic overtones are a welcome change (ha) around here I don't think this is the nightmare scenario that you soapers are envisioning. I think it's just as likely, if not more likely, that Wade was brought in to be an interim HC if Kubiak continues on to mediocre ways.

The real nightmare is if Kubiak somehow stumbles in to the playoffs. Then you can go ahead and fear about the future if that happens.

Uh....so if Wade indeed became an interim coach, how do you think this organization is going to act at the end of a season when the interim term is up for Wade?

Should I expect something different, or should I expect a *traumatic change?

*Trauma: The reason we won't do what we should do. Because nobody wants pain in life. That would be awful.

b0ng
01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Uh....so if Wade indeed became an interim coach, how do you think this organization is going to act at the end of a season when the interim term is up for Wade?

Should I expect something different, or should I expect a *traumatic change?

*Trauma: The reason we won't do what we should do. Because nobody wants pain in life. That would be awful.

"Interim HC Wade Phillips" is my little nightmare from this hiring anyway so now you are at least coming over to the proper nightmare. I doubt Kubiak will be extended again if 2011 is a repeat of the previous 5 years, but if he is then oh well. I know Bob doesn't read these boards or anything Texans related on the internet, but when you have people from the NFL network coming to your training camp and talking about bad decisions that were made with the staff and whatnot, it'll probably get your attention (it sure as hell got Vandermeers attention). If Kubiak is given another 2 year extension without at least going to the playoffs (again) then all I could hope for is that the organization gets ripped apart weekly by ESPN, NFLN and wherever else has an opinion on football games.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
The Chargers, who run a 3-4, have owned Manning for years now. This season Manning threw 4 INTs against them including 2 that the Chargers returned for touchdowns. San Diego has won 4 of the last 5 games against Indy.

BigBull17
01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
But since '08 he's consistently beaten teams with the 3-4. Jags, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Pats, Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals. He USED to have trouble with the 3-4 but seems to have figured it out.

Except the Chargers freaking embarrassed them, they lost to NE, and the Cards don't count. Same with Jags, they are more hybrid and they beat him this year. He hates the 34 more than the 43.

Dishman
01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Except the Chargers freaking embarrassed them, they lost to NE, and the Cards don't count. Same with Jags, they are more hybrid and they beat him this year. He hates the 34 more than the 43.

Now, wait a minute! I could have sworn that the Texans have been building a defense to stop the Colts for years now. Are you telling me that a 3-4 defense should have been the direction in the first place for a Peyton-crushing defense?

infantrycak
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM

First off, Manning has consistently beaten 75% of teams he has faced. The question is which teams have given him the most trouble and those are the Chargers, Steelers and Pats.

Anyway, the Jags run a base 4-3 D. They may drop into a 3-4 look just like the Texans do some times but they are a 4-3.

GP
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Now, wait a minute! I could have sworn that the Texans have been building a defense to stop the Colts for years now. Are you telling me that a 3-4 defense should have been the direction in the first place for a Peyton-crushing defense?

McNair: Well, ummm...you see, what I have always said here is that....well, it's not exactly a given that....umm, gee..well...boy that Arian Foster kid sure looks good. Let's talk about him for a moment.

Something along those lines, I'm thinking....

(Given the recent behavior of our beloved owner)

NitroGSXR
01-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Traumatic? We don't even need that much to revert out from the stink of one of the worst defensive units in recorded NFL history. I have no grand illusions of our defense becoming staunch and feared next year but traumatic is a bit too loud for me.

I like the Wade hiring. I'll be semi-okay with Kubiak once the stun wears off. I'm more aligned with the "annoyed at retaining Rick Smith" crowd.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 01:16 PM
First off, Manning has consistently beaten 75% of teams he has faced. The question is which teams have given him the most trouble and those are the Chargers, Steelers and Pats.

Anyway, the Jags run a base 4-3 D. They may drop into a 3-4 look just like the Texans do some times but they are a 4-3.

They didn't make that switch until 2009. JDR ran a 3-4 until then. Now they run a 4-3 hybrid.

infantrycak
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
They didn't make that switch until 2009. JDR ran a 3-4 until then. Now they run a 4-3 hybrid.

No they didn't. Stroud and Henderson were considered an elite DT pair in their 4-3 for years.

GNTLEWOLF
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM

I'm curious...how many years can there be improvement in a team and that team still go basically 8-8. I ask because the calim has been that every year's 8-8 has been an improvement over the year before. I really wouldn't be surprised to read on some message board that some homer might state that this year's 6-10 team was an improvement over last year's 9-7 team. I am just having ahard time getting my mind around the perpetual improvement without that showing in the win loss column.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
No they didn't. Stroud and Henderson were considered an elite DT pair in their 4-3 for years.

Maybe I'm mistaken then. I coulda sworn they ran a 3-4 until the Mel Tucker hire.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken then. I coulda sworn they ran a 3-4 until the Mel Tucker hire.

Well, I was SORTA right...lol

January 2010 The Jaguars are now going to line up in a base defense with three linebackers and four linemen, and specifically be an “attack 4-3 defense.”

That is the way general manager Gene Smith describes what the defense will look like after a meeting of the minds with coach Jack Del Rio on what kind of team the Jaguars are going to be in 2010.

Owner Wayne Weaver mandated them to define an image for the Jaguars.

“Their job is to tell me what kind of a team that we want to be, and then let’s be true to that mission and draft around that concept and build a team around that concept,” Weaver said at a news conference earlier this month.

Last season, the Jaguars switched to a 3-4 defense after they lost defensive end Reggie Hayward to a season-ending leg injury in the opener.

But that defense didn’t fit their personnel well, and they eventually switched back to the 4-3, although they never did find a way to rush the passer. They finished with 14 sacks, the fewest in the league.

b0ng
01-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Well, I was SORTA right...lol

They played a 3-4 for like one year and stunk the joint up. When they were good they had Stroud and Henderson in the middle and Spicer and Heyward on the ends.

MojoX
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM

This is where I am. The highest paid DC in the league has next head coach written all over him if the Head Coach falls on his own sword.

I have been hoping the Texans would find the next Belichick or Ryan or Cowher before they establish themselves as head coach. That is the real pot of gold, finding that coordinator who becomes the great coach on your watch. I am very wary of retreads.

If/when they realize Kubiak is not that guy, it is too easy and convenient to just roll with Phillips.

DerekLee1
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
This is where I am. The highest paid DC in the league has next head coach written all over him if the Head Coach falls on his own sword.

I have been hoping the Texans would find the next Belichick or Ryan or Cowher before they establish themselves as head coach. That is the real pot of gold, finding that coordinator who becomes the great coach on your watch. I am very wary of retreads.

If/when they realize Kubiak is not that guy, it is too easy and convenient to just roll with Phillips.

Just because Phillips becomes the interim HC does not automatically make him the permanent HC. I know that seems likely, but it doesn't mean it would happen here. Unless he shows something far superior to what Kubiak had done up to his firing point (like Garrett and Frazier), I think McNair still considers blowing up the coaching staff completely.

Double Barrel
01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Traumatic? We don't even need that much to revert out from the stink of one of the worst defensive units in recorded NFL history. I have no grand illusions of our defense becoming staunch and feared next year but traumatic is a bit too loud for me.

I like the Wade hiring. I'll be semi-okay with Kubiak once the stun wears off. I'm more aligned with the "annoyed at retaining Rick Smith" crowd.

Well, "traumatic" is McNair's catch phrase, not mine. While he was talking about changing a head coach, I think it's applicable by his standards to changing half your team and instilling a new defense that might require an overhaul of your defensive roster.

For the record, I think his use of traumatic was goofy, even with regards to changing head coaches. It was for dramatic effect in order to spin his decision that he acted like he did know what he was going to do.

Teams have changed head coaches and found success a year later, so apparently some can overcome the trauma more than others. Owners should run their teams scared, but that's just one man's opinion.

GP
01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Just because Phillips becomes the interim HC does not automatically make him the permanent HC.

Riiiiiiiiight.......

I'm sure a "search" would be on. A search of epic magnitude, the likes of which have never been seen before.

That's the pattern at Reliant. :not:

thunderkyss
01-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Bob will feel like Wade will need a few years to turn this horrible defense around and that Kubiak is just fine with the offense. It will be on the defense to get their things together now.

What if we're top 10 in several defensive categories? What if we're top 4 in the league over the last 13 weeks?

What if we are actually top 10 in scoring defense?

If that is the case, & certainly plausible, because Frank Bush was able to do it with the guys on the roster now, in one year, & we still can't beat the good teams, still can't get into the play-offs..... then what?

I don't think an excuse like, Wade needing longer than a year would fit. Going after a top DC, with experience & a track record of success, all of Gary's talk about getting that guy what he needs to be successful... I think Gary knows he's on short notice. I think McNair told him the leash is shorter than it ever has been.

I don't know what McNair is going to say or do 12 months from now... I was caught completely by surprised by what he said/did last week.

I personally don't see the point in getting worked up about what may happen a year from now, when we still have plenty of reason to be upset about what he did last week.

But that's just me.

GP
01-07-2011, 09:38 AM
I personally don't see the point in getting worked up about what may happen a year from now, when we still have plenty of reason to be upset about what he did last week.

But that's just me.

It's like getting an early start on CHristmas shopping.

You just want to beat the crowds and get it over with.

Remember how many people came onboard the Fire Kubiak train in the middle of the reg season? You think that was just some people being bored? No, it was people who were being awakened to the incompetency.

Gary Kubiak is a poor gameday coach. For every good decision he makes, there's bound to be several that undo the good that was done earlier. This team's offense doesn't play a full game. We used to start games really really strong, often sustaining long drives on our first or second possession. I don't know what happened to cause that to reverse. It's troubling.

NitroGSXR
01-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Well, "traumatic" is McNair's catch phrase, not mine. While he was talking about changing a head coach, I think it's applicable by his standards to changing half your team and instilling a new defense that might require an overhaul of your defensive roster.

For the record, I think his use of traumatic was goofy, even with regards to changing head coaches. It was for dramatic effect in order to spin his decision that he acted like he did know what he was going to do.

Teams have changed head coaches and found success a year later, so apparently some can overcome the trauma more than others. Owners should run their teams scared, but that's just one man's opinion.

Must spread. This is a good post. Thank you for that. FWIW, I'm on the running your team "scared" bandwagon. Job security at all levels in the NFL should be scrutinized daily.

DerekLee1
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Gary Kubiak is a poor gameday coach. For every good decision he makes, there's bound to be several that undo the good that was done earlier. This team's offense doesn't play a full game. We used to start games really really strong, often sustaining long drives on our first or second possession. I don't know what happened to cause that to reverse. It's troubling.

I somewhat disagree with this. He makes a lot of GREAT decisions on gameday. But his one or two bad ones tend to unravel all of the good ones he made. It's like all those responsible nights of getting wasted and then taking a cab home, and then that one night you decide to drive yourself...and crash into an oncoming 18-wheeler.

NitroGSXR
01-07-2011, 10:48 AM
I somewhat disagree with this. He makes a lot of GREAT decisions on gameday. But his one or two bad ones tend to unravel all of the good ones he made. It's like all those responsible nights of getting wasted and then taking a cab home, and then that one night you decide to drive yourself...and crash into an oncoming 18-wheeler.

I'll buy this. Problem is... you can bank on that 18 wheeler most Sundays. You can't routinely crash races. You have to finish them.

GP
01-07-2011, 11:08 AM

I would prefer the o-coord to actually send in the plays.

And I would prefer the HC (Kubiak) to be observing, whole-heartedly, what is happening on the field with each play. There's no way Kubiak can call each play and also be observing the outcome and the overall "flow of the game" at the same time. With the way he's doing things (remember, he admitted in the presser that HE is ultimately the one who sends in the play. He gathers input from others, during weekday prep work for each upcoming game, but on game day he is sending in the play) it's not possible for him to do anything but always be looking at the playsheet and trying to string together a series of plays.

Instead, I think it would be better if he did what he said he would do. Remember at the end of the 2008 season, IIRC, he said Kyle was doing a great job and he was going to let Kyle do the playcalling and he (Kubiak) would be more of a true HC on game day? Yeah, sure.

Gary won't change his spots. The history doesn't bear that out. He' stubborn to a fault. This is why I wanted him gone. I don't care of Wade makes our defense better. Gary will find a way to screw games up. He has a patent on it.

Rey
01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I would prefer the o-coord to actually send in the plays.

And I would prefer the HC (Kubiak) to be observing, whole-heartedly, what is happening on the field with each play. There's no way Kubiak can call each play and also be observing the outcome and the overall "flow of the game" at the same time.

I don't think he can really pay attention to the flow of the defense, but he can most definitely pay attention to the flow of the offense.

Otherwise, he's just be blindly calling plays out.

You have to know what the defense is doing, what your offense is executing well, who's hot, how well your O-line is blocking...ect....

You have to know all of that to be a successful play caller...

GP
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think he can really pay attention to the flow of the defense, but he can most definitely pay attention to the flow of the offense.

You have to know what the defense is doing, what your offense is executing well, who's hot, how well your O-line is blocking...ect....

I know I am going to ragged about this, but oh well. I need to make a point here that I think is perfect.

I coached my little' girl's T-Ball team. Kindergarten kids, OK? 12 5-year-olds who had never played the game.

On game day, I didn't have a Denny's menu of plays or outfield shifting diagrams to look at it. We didn't have signals. I just stood, and watched.

By watching, I could see what the kid was doing wrong out there. I could actually GASP! coach the kid DURING the game. "Hey, Susie! Yes, YOU! Go over there and stay at that spot. Let the other girl play that spot and you just wait for the ball to come to you, OK?"

I think a good HC is always scanning the field, essentially he is watching "tape" as it is happening on the field. I don't ever recall Jimmy Johnson holding a playsheet and ignoring the game like Gary does. I remember a guy who was intensely watching the field on every play. Hell, he looked like a cheerleader at times out there: Waving his arms, clapping his hands, yelling out things to his players all game long. Huddling up the team, too many times to count, and just COACHING them.

I give up. If people can't see that Kubiak isn't a HC, then I give up.

GP
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM

I know I am going to ragged about this, but oh well. I need to make a point here that I think is perfect.

I coached my little' girl's T-Ball team. Kindergarten kids, OK? 12 5-year-olds who had never played the game.

On game day, I didn't have a Denny's menu of plays or outfield shifting diagrams to look at it. We didn't have signals. I just stood, and watched.

By watching, I could see what the kid was doing wrong out there. I could actually GASP! coach the kid DURING the game. "Hey, Susie! Yes, YOU! Go over there and stay at that spot. Let the other girl play that spot and you just wait for the ball to come to you, OK?"

I think a good HC is always scanning the field, essentially he is watching "tape" as it is happening on the field. I don't ever recall Jimmy Johnson holding a playsheet and ignoring the game like Gary does. I remember a guy who was intensely watching the field on every play. Hell, he looked like a cheerleader at times out there: Waving his arms, clapping his hands, yelling out things to his players all game long. Huddling up the team, too many times to count, and just COACHING them.

I give up. If people can't see that Kubiak isn't a HC, then I give up.

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0060-0807-1220-5847_A_Beat_Up_Man_Waving_the_White_Flag_of_Surren der_clipart_image.jpg

GuerillaBlack
01-07-2011, 12:44 PM
^^You're right man. Kubiak stares at the menu the entire game. Hell, he may be more than twenty yards from the LOS. Dude is an offensive coordinator. You don't see a guy like Cowher or Gruden staring at a menu. They are talking to their players and watching what goes on on the field. Sucks. Could have been an awesome offseason.

Just because Phillips becomes the interim HC does not automatically make him the permanent HC. I know that seems likely, but it doesn't mean it would happen here. Unless he shows something far superior to what Kubiak had done up to his firing point (like Garrett and Frazier), I think McNair still considers blowing up the coaching staff completely.

LOL, don't kid yourself here. If Bob McNair's Kubiak fantasy dream doesn't work out, he'll love to use the son of Bum to lead another Houston franchise. Wade will be our next HC when/if Kubiak is gone. Easily.

infantrycak
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
LOL, don't kid yourself here. If Bob McNair's Kubiak fantasy dream doesn't work out, he'll love to use the son of Bum to lead another Houston franchise. Wade will be our next HC when/if Kubiak is gone. Easily.

Y'all can keep saying this (and undoubtedly will) but it doesn't make it true. Wade will only get the job if the D transforms impressively. If that happens matched with the O then the team will be doing well so Kubiak wont be in jeopardy.

GuerillaBlack
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Y'all can keep saying this (and undoubtedly will) but it doesn't make it true. Wade will only get the job if the D transforms impressively. If that happens matched with the O then the team will be doing well so Kubiak wont be in jeopardy.

Like in 2009, when we had a defense ranked in the top half of the league, with a weak schedule, and only won 9 games and missed the playoffs?

DerekLee1
01-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Like in 2009, when we had a defense ranked in the top half of the league, with a weak schedule, and only won 9 games and missed the playoffs?

Our RUN defense was ranked in the top half. Our TOTAL defense has never ranked higher than 20th. EVER.

Wade's defenses have never ranked LOWER than 20th.

GuerillaBlack
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Our RUN defense was ranked in the top half. Our TOTAL defense has never ranked higher than 20th. EVER.

For the last 13 weeks of the season, our defense was ranked 13th overall. We were top ten against the run and like 16th or 17th against the pass.

MojoX
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Yeah, I think this is very true. Anything can happen a year from now and there really much point getting imaginations overcharged thinking about worst case scenarios. I just wanted to acknowledge a possibility, but I no reason to think McNair will do one thing versus another should he decide to blow this thing up.

BigBull17
01-07-2011, 02:25 PM

I believe so. He doesn't really like creative, tricky blitz packages.

thunderkyss
01-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Unless something happens that Kubiak can't overcome. Another injury or something.

No excuses.

thunderkyss
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM

For the last 13 weeks of the season, we were the 4th best defense in the league. Our first three games however were so bad, that for the year, we finished 13th in total D.

3 spots out of the top ten.

Texecutioner
01-07-2011, 08:21 PM
I somewhat disagree with this. He makes a lot of GREAT decisions on gameday.

Is this a joke or something?

He's been the HC for 5 years now and hasn't even done better than fake 9-7 season. He just lost like 8 0ut of the last 9 games until he faced a Jags team that had a 3rd string QB and the other win was the same situation against the Titans. His bone headed stupidity last season "cost" the team the playoffs.

Yeah, he's not a bad game day coach and makes great decisions. Lol! :texanbill:

Texecutioner
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
For the last 13 weeks of the season, we were the 4th best defense in the league. Our first three games however were so bad, that for the year, we finished 13th in total D.

How many times are you going to make up stats like this?

HJam72
01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
It doesn't really matter. Your D gives up a few games you should have won.....and that's all she wrote...

Your D can't play like crap for part of the season and expect to make the playoffs.

Ideally, a 3-4 is the best thing against manning (look at the Steelers). In reality, I don't have a clue how it's going to work out for us.

thunderkyss
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
How many times are you going to make up stats like this?

who's making up any stat? follow this link. (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

texanchris
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

who cares if we had the top 10 defense for the last 13 weeks. The Nfl season is 17 weeks not 13. Many other teams could take out their 3 worst defensive games and be in the top 10 also. That stat does not mean anything.

thunderkyss
01-09-2011, 08:46 AM
who cares if we had the top 10 defense for the last 13 weeks. The Nfl season is 17 weeks not 13. Many other teams could take out their 3 worst defensive games and be in the top 10 also. That stat does not mean anything.

For the year, we were ranked 13th.... Kubiak had a top 5 offense. Together, if he was worth his ass, the Texans should have won 10 or 11 games. BUt we didn't.

Why is that so hard to get?

The point of this thread, even with Wade, even if he gets us major improvement on the defensive side of the ball, why should we think Kubiak would do anything different than he did 2009?

Keep up.

run-david-run
01-10-2011, 12:12 PM

For starters, he threw 3 or 4 picks against San Diego this season. And remember that 49 TD season that ended with Indy scoring 3 points in Foxborough? SD has knocked Indy out of the playoffs at least three times, including one of the seasons they started 13-0.
So yeah, Manning has a checkered history (by his ridiculous standards at least) against aggressive 3-4 defenses.

Grams
01-10-2011, 12:32 PM
For the year, we were ranked 13th.... Kubiak had a top 5 offense. Together, if he was worth his ass, the Texans should have won 10 or 11 games. BUt we didn't.

Why is that so hard to get?

The point of this thread, even with Wade, even if he gets us major improvement on the defensive side of the ball, why should we think Kubiak would do anything different than he did 2009?
Keep up.

The one good thing is - both the Browns are gone - no Chris or Kris.

JB
01-10-2011, 12:46 PM
For starters, he threw 3 or 4 picks against San Diego this season. And remember that 49 TD season that ended with Indy scoring 3 points in Foxborough? SD has knocked Indy out of the playoffs at least three times, including one of the seasons they started 13-0.
So yeah, Manning has a checkered history (by his ridiculous standards at least) against aggressive 3-4 defenses.

One of the interesting quotes from the post game (they talked about it during the game yesterday so I don't have a link) is that when Ryan was asked how he was finally able to beat Manning, he said it was because they played a passive defense. He said Manning would eat up an overly aggressive defense.

Texan4Ever
01-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Because I'm bored, Wade doing the YMCA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quNQNDVW6aM&feature=related

Textan
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Yup, I believe Kubiak has been grandfathered for at least another two years.
I won't predict when the guy will be fired, because honestly I thought he would be gone last season.
I'm still in shock that he keeps his job after this pitiful season.
Nothing surprises me anymore with this franchise.