PDA

View Full Version : Soapers: Have you found a way to cope yet?

GP
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I am not as mad as I was. Still not happy, but every day we get farther away from the last game vs. Jags...is a day that the wound is a little less fresh for me.

I'm not saying that I am buying into what's happening with the Texans. I am still very skeptical. And will be.

I just want to know if your blood pressure has dropped any since last Sunday, and where you feel you stand right now as it pertains to your capability to accept what's happening and find ways to stick with the program.

What say you?

wagonhed
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Pretty much in apathy stage right now. I'm not mad anymore. I just think Bob and Kubiak are ****ups. I don't think a Phillips defense will bring us any playoff success or championship prospects. I'm sure a few days after they make the Phillips announcement I'll start spending much less time here and mostly forget about football for a couple months, till draft talk really starts.

So basically, very low expectations = not caring that much.

Blake
01-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I wanted Gary gone. But what can you do? I dont get upset about losses anymore. And I sure as hell am not going to get upset about something I cannot change. It doesnt bode well for my blood pressure.

GuerillaBlack
01-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm skeptical. I keep trying to find some optimism in all of this. I keep thinking that Wade will turn the defense around and with our offensive production, we'll be fine. But then I start thinking about how Kubiak gameplans, how the team always shows up unprepared, how the team (both offense and defense) only play one half of football, Kubiak's horrible clock management, how this team has been 5-7 after 12 games for four straight years now, etc., and then I get pissed off again. I don't even play with the Texans on Madden online anymore.

Buffi2
01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Nope, no longer angry but not happy. Does that make me apathetic? I think that I care just not as much as I once did. Rather than blind exuberance; the team will have to prove they are capable of winning before I drink any more Kool Aid. Will always be a serious fan - just not as hardcore.

I am adjusting to the good ole' boy coaching staff and I so thought we might be beyond that rat heyere in 2011.

I like Wade and think he is a very good DC. I'm hopeful that this will be a good match and they will compliment each others' strengths rather than exacerbate their weaknesses.

HuttoKarl
01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I voted other.

I'm upset that our owner is a moron who doesn't know or care about operating a championship contending team and worries about hurting a coach's feelings instead of alienating thousands of fans. I still go to work and pay taxes though so it's not going to alter my day too much. I just don't care about the team as much as I would have had we actually hired a coach who deserves to coach and a defensive coordinator who isn't a lump. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if players fall asleep left and right in team meetings with those two running the show.

Texan4Ever
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm still pissed. If Don Capers was fired after a loosing season why not Kubiak? I know there were records were different, but the way Kuabik's team has collapsed he should be out of a job right now.

The Texans made a half-ass effort in looking for a DC and probably didn't even try and court Cowher, Gruden, or anyone else.

This organization stands for one thing: half-assing everything on and off the field since 2002.

VTexan
01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't think many wanted him to stay but what can ya do? I am indifferent now because next season I will have no expectations.

And I am perfectly okay with that.

wagonhed
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
By the way, the reason I voted "acceptance" instead of "skeptical" is I'm not skeptical at all. I flat out don't think Kubiak and Phillips are the answer and I don't think we will EVER have consistent success with this coaching arrangement. I'm not really in "wait and see" mode, because that implies at least the chance to be disappointed. I fully expect less-than-mediocrity.

Hervoyel
01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm in "limbo" at the moment. I'm entirely serious about switching my allegence to the Steelers and dropping the Texans down to the #2 slot Pittsburgh previously occupied. It's not an "instant on" kind of thing though. Since I followed the Texans through the season I'm not really invested in the Steelers playoff run this year. I'm sure that by this time next season I'll enjoy their continuing success much more. Right now I still have a little Texans "stone in my shoe" as I watch them play out this years version of "Wait till next year".

I went with "My venting is done, lets move on" because well, "I have".

Thorn
01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
To be exact, my venting is NOT done, but it is time to move on. He's the head coach next year and we just have to deal with that.

silvrhand
01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
It's time to move on, all the negativity is kiling the forum and fun we have had over the year.. We all know it's been a rough year, and eventually we all have vented our frustration... Let's get back to doing what we do best and kill the negativity.

:heart:

HoustonFrog
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Not over it because Bob McNair keeps coming on the radio or TV. He tries to insult my intelligence with incredibly stupid comments that he is trying to sell the public. He basically is the type of guy who needed to just stay behind closed doors and keep his mouth closed because he just sounds more inept the more he speaks. So angry.

Ryan
01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm over it. During the season, us soapers were heard but not listened to, and now me ranting and raving for another year won't do us any good until we are out of the race next year.

Mr. White
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Voted "My venting is done. It's time to move on."

I got on board with the Phillips hire as soon as the rumor broke and it was clear we weren't going after Cowher.

I can even understand Bob's reasoning for making the decision. Cowher wants complete control and there's a pretty good chance that there would be some radical changes. I've argued against this point, but who really knows what he would really do if he got the job?

I'm also trying to eliminate as much stress from my life as possible, and getting worked up over the coaching situation wasn't helping.

michaelm
01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
It's time to move on, all the negativity is kiling the forum and fun we have had over the year.. We all know it's been a rough year, and eventually we all have vented our frustration... Let's get back to doing what we do best and kill the negativity.

Hell yeah... I do feel like killin' something now that you mention it!

HOU-TEX
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I moved on the evening after the presser.

If Wade's going to be the DC, I'm looking forward to keeping up with what he does throughout the off-season with asst coaches and player personel. As long as these millionares can settle on a new CBA, that is.

eriadoc
01-05-2011, 01:18 PM
My venting is done and I've moved on. I have no expectations that this team will ever do anything led by Kubiak, and perhaps never do anything led by McNair. So whatever. I stopped spending money on them a couple years ago, after the Rosencopter game, and now I can't seem to drum up enough give-a-damn to even really ***** much anymore. It's all sort of matter-of-fact to me.

I'll still watch, I'll still cheer when they do something well, but I think my days of scheduling my life around Sunday football are at an end for a while. This will probably be the first off-season since 2000 that I won't be anxiously counting down the days. I'd rather go fishing.

Maybe that makes me an awful fan, but at least I can be taught. Even dumb animals will turn their head if you smack them on the nose enough.

nero THE zero
01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Pretty much in apathy stage right now. I'm not mad anymore. I just think Bob and Kubiak are ****ups. I don't think a Phillips defense will bring us any playoff success or championship prospects. I'm sure a few days after they make the Phillips announcement I'll start spending much less time here and mostly forget about football for a couple months, till draft talk really starts.

This is me.

Phillips is the proverbial bandaid on the bullet hole. As I told my wife, until they replace the GM and fix the hierarchy of the organization, this team will never amount to anything. They might have one good season here and there, but they won’t have long term sustained success like the Steelers or Patriots.

The way McNair has handled this whole thing has really jaded me toward the team and I'll keep them in my back pocket until he dies/sells/passes the team to Cal.

Marcus
01-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm in "limbo" at the moment. I'm entirely serious about switching my allegence to the Steelers and dropping the Texans down to the #2 slot Pittsburgh previously occupied. It's not an "instant on" kind of thing though. Since I followed the Texans through the season I'm not really invested in the Steelers playoff run this year. I'm sure that by this time next season I'll enjoy their continuing success much more. Right now I still have a little Texans "stone in my shoe" as I watch them play out this years version of "Wait till next year".

All due respect Herv, you might very well "wish" you could 'switch allegences', but if it was that easy, I'd of done it a long time ago. I wanted to switch allegience from the Oilers to another team after that 35-3 obscenity, but I couldn't do it until they left town.

It may be a bad analogy, but it's almost like falling in love. When you're emotionally invested in something for any period of time . . .

. . . you can't turn it off with a switch.

Mr. White
01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
All due respect Herv, you might very well "wish" you could 'switch allegences', but if it was that easy, I'd of done it a long time ago. I wanted to switch allegience from the Oilers to another team after that 35-3 obscenity, but I couldn't do it until they left town.

It may be a bad analogy, but it's almost like falling in love. When you're emotionally invested in something for any period of time . . .

I agree with this. I was real pissed off at the franchise after the Carr extension. I also tried going the "free agent" route, but I don't have the same connection to any other NFL cities that I have to Houston. I felt like I was trying to fool myself.

There was no other team that brought about the same level of passion that the Texans did, as sorry as they were that season. I've also had secondary rooting interests, but they don't make me yell at my TV set the way the Texans do.

Thorn
01-05-2011, 02:13 PM
I agree with this. I was real pissed off at the franchise after the Carr extension. I also tried going the "free agent" route, but I don't have the same connection to any other NFL cities that I have to Houston. I felt like I was trying to fool myself.

There was no other team that brought about the same level of passion that the Texans did, as sorry as they were that season. I've also had secondary rooting interests, but they don't make me yell at my TV set the way the Texans do.

I know what you mean. I couldn't possibly put any team above the Texans as far as my NFL interest goes. When next season starts up I'll probably be as full of hope as I was before this season started. And if Kubiak does what he usually does, I'll be back pissing and moaning in here again. I guess that's just the way it is. I could perhaps someday lose interest in the Texans, but that would also mean I'd lose interest in the NFL as well. I wouldn't be rooting for some other town's team. After the Oilers left town I didn't watch an entire four quarters of an NFL game until the Texans started up.

Double Barrel
01-05-2011, 02:13 PM

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I've got venom, but I'm done spewing it. While I have gratitude to McNair for bringing football to Houston and providing a great gameday experience, I have no respect for him with regards to running this team. My perspective is now beyond that he's just a noob, but now more in the area of seeing him as inept (checking my venom right now).

I'm as indifferent and apathetic about the Texans as I can get without blowing them off entirely. I'm sure that I'll recharge by next September and have no doubt that I'll be watching the games, but I know that I will not follow the daily updates from now until then. Maybe a friend will text me who they picked in the draft, but I won't bother to watch it.

My heart will always be in Houston, but honestly, my head just can't take it anymore. My heart is numb, and my head is full of negativity about our hometown team. The realization that our owner is part of the problem and is just another NFL owner finally pushed it over the edge.

And while I've never been much of a bandwagon fan for another team, my head needs something more productive to follow than this hapless franchise. The Steelers and Patriots are teams that I've admired for years, so perhaps it's time for dual citizenship.

You're right, Marcus. But, like mentioned above, folks can be dual citizens of two countries, so why not dual fanatics?

Yeah, my heart will always be with Houston. I can't change that, like you said.

But my head? My head is another matter altogether. I just need a break from the Texans. A nine month break of no Texans, no updates, no comments from our disingenuous owner and mediocre coach. My head needs to submerge into another reality where winning is tangible and not just pithy slogans.

Following a second team won't have the emotional highs when they win since my heart is in Houston, but I won't have the lows, either. And honestly, I feel like the Texans have been nothing but 9 years of low, lower, and lowest. 19-10 and 9-7 only go so far, and even then, I was just fooling myself that these were anything to be 'proud' of.

nytexan
01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Being one of the newest members of the soaper club, I'm more upset that they blew a chance for the 6th pick with that Jag win than I am with Kubiak staying. I still can't believe they thought that win was better for the franchise long term than getting a stud defensive player with a better pick in the draft.

Having said that I know I'll still be cheering, cursing at the tv during games and trying to get as much info on these guys as I can stomach during the offseason and season.......again and again

DexmanC
01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm very "Missouri (show me)" about the 2011 season. Damn
all the words coming at us during this next offseason. I'm
considering another 12-game count for the start of next
year.

I've heard ALL the talking, and THEN some from this organization.
Prove my ass wrong, and I'll be the happiest fan in Texans History.

burro
01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Meh. What is one supposed to do? Any realistic person (soaper or not) should have seen this coming weeks ago. It's a little hard to be disappointed about something you saw coming from miles away. Anyhow, here's to hoping that whoever our next coordinator is (Wade Phillips) doesn't find a way to make things any worse than they already are. It may seem impossible, but this organization is constantly pushing the envelope on suckitude in revolutionary fashion.

That said, I love and support my team and will be next year for more heartbreak.

GP
01-05-2011, 03:14 PM
So....what do we do with our avatars?

I'm thinking we need to all find a new avatar and use it.

The Fire Kubiak! avatar is great for in-season wear, when you're really trying to ramp up the anger and show it.

What do we sport, as an avatar, to continue to show our disgust but yet to also have it appropriately and fittingly represent the off-season until the games start up again?

Maybe we all make silly "clown" or "children theme" avatars? Some Barney the purple dinosaur, some Bozo the clown, a little Howdy Doodie, sprinkle in an avatar of Teletubbies, etc? We could all have our own children's TV show theme with our avatars....to signify that McNair is a daddy and we are just children who don't know about what grown-ups do.

Texans fans: Daddy? Tell me how babies are made.

Daddy Bob: Well, son, you see...it's a difficult thing to...well, ummm...ask your mother.

Texans fans: She told me to ask you.

Daddy Bob: Oh. OK. Well, ummm...there's this thing where a rainbow....when it's hit by lightning...causes little sparkles of rainbow to fly through the air. And, uh, well...you see, these sparkles then mix with bits of a comet's tail....and uh, this then falls down through the sky and bits of it fall onto mommy's belly button where it leaks into her tummy and then a baby is made!

Texans fans: Oh. Gee, that sure seems weird daddy....

Daddy Bob: (patting us on the head) Well, junior, I know it sounds a little far-fetched and all, but you're just going to have to trust that your dear old dad is telling you the truth now. OK? Do you understand, son?

Texans fans: Ummm...sort of, I think. Do you want to play catch in th---

Daddy Bob: Oh, I'd like to, son. But see...me and some of daddy's friends have a very important meeting and---

Texans fans: Daddy, every time you have your special meeting...you're wearing shoes that have metal spiky things on them and you carry a great big bag of golf clubs.

Daddy Bob: Yes, son. Because we're discussing how to, ummm....well...umm... we're talking about how we can improve our sales numbers by using golf equipment to make or presentations some very important clients of daddy's.

Texans fans: Oh. I see. Gee, dad. You're the best dad in the whole wide world. I'm lucky to be your son.

Daddy Bob: yes, well...I'm lucky too little fella! If it weren't for you, and your low intellect and your trusting heart, then I wouldn't have nearly as many special meetings as I have right now. Check ya' later, sport.

Texans fans: Bye dad! Love you!

(door slams)

Texans fans: LOVE YOU!

Grams
01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
My venting is done. Time to move on to other things.

Don't care who comes in as DC as it really doesn't matter.

If Wade, then in about 2 years Kubiak will be gone and Wade will be HC - this just makes my day. (yeah, right). Then we can look forward to 5 more year of suckage under :wadepalm:.

Houston_Fanatic
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I am apathetic right now and don't think this move will get us into the playoffs next year.

Since we are stuck with Kubiak another year, i guess I'll change back to my old AV as it seems pointless to sport the soap (but I will save it for next year).

Hervoyel
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Well, I see what you're saying but I have a long-term "secondary" rooting interest in the Steelers that actually predates the existence of the Texans so yes, right now the Texans are probably in the 1 spot with the Steelers in the 2 but I don't think swapping them around will be that big a deal really.

I couldn't switch to the Steelers full time when the Oilers left town. I wanted my football team back. I had a long history of being attached to them. I've got a long history of being disappointed in the Texans and frankly I don't care about them nearly as much as I did the Oilers. Swap the Texans for the Steelers? Hell I'd swap the Texans for a pack of Juicy Fruit.

Like I said I didn't spend the year following the Steelers every move so this off-season feels just like last year and the year before to me. Watch the Texans fall of the edge of the earth and then switch focus to Pittsburgh when the good teams actually start playing. Next year I'll go with Pittsburgh as my primary and I'll look and see how the Texans did too. Your mileage may vary but I'm not just grabbing the Steelers randomly. I think it will take.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Not much I can do about it so my venting is done. I'm moving on and hoping 2011 is better.

Being that Kubiak and Phillips are both decent coordinators but somewhat poor head coaches maybe the dummy math will add up and things will work. I'm not confident just hopeful.

mussop
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Realistically whats the best we can hope for as far as D ranking next year? I would say middle of the pack would be really high expectations. Last year we ranked 13th on D and 4th on offense and the best we could do was 9 and 7 and depending on other teams winning or loosing to back into the playoffs.

This whole idea of well if we had a better D we would be ok is crap. But I'm sure that will be the reason Kubiak is brought back for another year after missing the playoffs. Well with the bringing in of new coaches and new players and new system and the lockout the D just didnt have time to jell. But they are on the right track!!!!!

Even if the defense does a complete turnaround I say we loose at least 2 games just because of bad game management or bad clock management by Kubiak. And if we somehow make it to the playoffs we will get out coached so bad it wont be funny.

JMO!

thunderkyss
01-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Can't control who you fall in love with.

I'm not a negative person by nature, I look for the best in all things.

I like to win, I haven't had any good reasons to think the Texans would win the Super Bowl over the last 6 years, but I've got myself psyched up with the possibility since 2006.

If I see them start 2011 the way they finished 2009 or better, I'll be chanting Super Bowl.

If not..... AFC Champion or something.

Lucky
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Not over it because Bob McNair keeps coming on the radio or TV. He tries to insult my intelligence with incredibly stupid comments that he is trying to sell the public.
This. McNair just needs to go back to whatever he was doing and shut up. The more he says, the less I respect his ability to ever bring a winner here. The sooner goes back into his office and zips it, the sooner I will be able to accept the loss of what could have been the greatest offseason in team history.

I like Wade and think he is a very good DC.
The moment Phillips walks through the door, he becomes the most credible football man in the organization. That probably says more about the organization than it does Phillips.

GuerillaBlack
01-05-2011, 07:03 PM
This. McNair just needs to go back to whatever he was doing and shut up. The more he says, the less I respect his ability to ever bring a winner here. The sooner goes back into his office and zips it, the sooner I will be able to accept the loss of what could have been the greatest offseason in team history.

The moment Phillips walks through the door, he becomes the most credible football man in the organization. That probably says more about the organization than it does Phillips.

Yeah, I don't think McNair realizes what he missed out on. If he would have brought in Cowher, the Texans would have had instant credibility. Primetime games would be a given (and we play the Steelers next season, too...Sunday Nighter confirmed with Cowher as the coach). Now? McNair will be lucky to see his team have more than one primetime game. We'll have an NFL Network Thursday Night game. Probably no MNF game and definitely not a Sunday Night game. Plus, it would be a lot easier to bring in top flight coaching and free agents with Cowher instead of Kubiak. Not to mention the city would be buzzing right now, instead of the mellow/apathetic feeling going on currently.

What's done is done though. Mediocrity lives on in Houston, unfortunately.

Double Barrel
01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Can't control who you fall in love with.

Yeah, you can. Life is not a Hallmark card. Love is a choice.

Perhaps you are thinking attraction, but you choose who you love regardless if you acknowledge that it's choice or not.

Ranger Tom
01-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Remember when the Ravens caught that interception in overtime this year? And when the Raven was runnning, you just knew that he was going in? The feeling I had when watching that is the same that I have now, whenever I think about the Texans. It sucks; it feels like you ate something that your stomach simply won't digest, but there's nothing that I or any other fan can do about it.

drs23
01-06-2011, 03:19 PM
It's time to move on, all the negativity is kiling the forum and fun we have had over the year.. We all know it's been a rough year, and eventually we all have vented our frustration... Let's get back to doing what we do best and kill the negativity.:heart:

:goodpost:

rep

midway
01-06-2011, 11:57 PM

isn't negativity what we do best?

I kid, I kid!... sort of

:spin:

Corrosion
01-07-2011, 12:00 AM
How to cope ?

Give the noob trolls from HT.com so much hell they take their slits and go home. :evil:

I woulda said balls but its obvious they dont have any

GP
01-07-2011, 08:22 AM
How to cope ?

Give the noob trolls from HT.com so much hell they take their slits and go home. :evil:

I woulda said balls but its obvious they dont have any

Is that what's going on here?

I've wondered if we've had an infestation of HT.com posters here.

Things seem weird, and your post sounds plausible. I was just thinking to myself that there's no way these new posters on here, that just popped up and started posting within the past week or so, are fresh meat. It has smelled of HT.com to me.

We can always count on magical infestation periods here: End of regular season, pre-draft, draft, post-draft, and sprinklings of it throughout the preseason. Hardly anybody joins up, on here, during the actual reg season.

I've noticed a pattern.

Thorn
01-07-2011, 08:32 AM
I've noticed a pattern.

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/respat/eia1956-small.jpg

GP
01-07-2011, 08:35 AM
If you stare at the bullseye center of that graphic for 30 seconds, and then look onto a blank wall...an image of Gary and Wade riding a unicorn on a rainbow street will appear.

Cool.

Thorn
01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
If you stare at the bullseye center of that graphic for 30 seconds, and then look onto a blank wall...an image of Gary and Wade riding a unicorn on a rainbow street will appear.

Cool.

:lol:

Dread-Head
01-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Honestly after Wade was fired in Dallas I was hoping management would bring him in. I'm optimistic. He still has the stench of the Lizzard King on him, but if he helps the guys get to the playoffs we'll never speak of his tenure in...that place.

GP
01-07-2011, 08:40 AM
:lol:

LOL. I know, right?

Humor is good medicine. It's what keeps me around this place.

GP
01-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Honestly after Wade was fired in Dallas I was hoping management would bring him in. I'm optimistic. He still has the stench of the Lizzard King on him, but if he helps the guys get to the playoffs we'll never speak of his tenure in...that place.

ROFLMAO.

Lizzard King.

I just got a visual of him flashing his long tongue out and snagging a fly as it buzzed near his face.

chicagotexan2
01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
It's bad enough that McNair retained an inept HC, but keeping an equally inept GM is still killing me. So this is what Raider fans feel like before the draft?

Dread-Head
01-07-2011, 08:55 AM
ROFLMAO.

Lizzard King.

I just got a visual of him flashing his long tongue out and snagging a fly as it buzzed near his face.

Don't laugh. I think I've seen Jerry Jones lick his own eyeball.

Rey
01-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I am actually a little optimistic about next year.

Although they didn't exactly do what I wanted them to do, they are trying (in their eyes) to do the right thing.

I'm just hoping that we don't have a case of "two head coaches are better than one....except when Gary and Wade team up"...

GP
01-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I am actually a little optimistic about next year.

Although they didn't exactly do what I wanted them to do, they are trying (in their eyes) to do the right thing.

I'm just hoping that we don't have a case of "two head coaches are better than one....except when Gary and Wade team up"...

It will be an uphill climb, rey.

I still don't think Bob McNair fully grasps how hard it is to be a legitimate team in the NFL. It's harder than Bob just standing at a microphone and saying "This WILL work." (those were his words, honest to goodness 100% his words).

I think he has a disconnect from reality. I really do. He's not senile, like Al Davis, but he's not grounded in reality to the point that he can see his own good ideas might not be the best for the team.

He's a kinder, gentler Jerry Jones. Both guys have an idea of what they want, and it hasn't worked in 9+ years now.

At some point, an owner just has to throw his hands up in the air and step away from the controls. I don't think McNair "meddles" like Jerry does, but I do think that he has a flawed system of selecting and retaining people.