PDA

View Full Version : Matt Leinart likely on the move

Dash
01-04-2011, 06:46 PM
I want to be a starter in the league, and I feel like Iíve paid my dues,Ē Leinart told the Houston Chronicle. ďI sat for three and a half years now and played behind a Hall of Fame quarterback [Kurt Warner] which a lot of people donít remember. Obviously, coming here is not the way I planned, but I think Matt Schaub is a great quarterback.Ē

Leinart said he learned a lot in Houston, but sounds ready to move on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/matt-leinart-says-hes-ready-to-be-a-starter/

Shame, I was hoping the Texans would be able to keep him as a backup and continue to groom him. Regardless I will be rooting for him. Best of luck Matt.

TexansFanatic
01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Yo Matt, paying your dues means more than just sitting and waiting.

It takes work.

Just because you were taken 10th overall, that doesn't mean you're entitled to anything.

b0ng
01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Matt Leinart: Couldn't beat out Dan Orlovsky or Derek Anderson.

Yeah good job on the career arc there guy.

J_R
01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
We hardly knew you or saw you. Best of luck elsewhere though you might be disappointed.

I would've liked to ask him what he planned on when he came here.

TheMatrix31
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
lol, Matt Leinart.

What a worthless guy. Have fun elsewhere, ya cocky son of a *****.

Mixgosu
01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
You all need to stop bashing Leinart.

He didnt even get a chance to play here.

Kubiak was too busy trying to win the final game in order for us to move our pick from 6th to 11th in the draft.....

Fred
01-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Yo Matt, paying your dues means more than just sitting and waiting.

It takes work.

Just because you were taken 10th overall, that doesn't mean you're entitled to anything.

But if you were taken 3rd overall you are a future Hall-of-Famer even if some dude with an AARP card beats you out of a starting job. Twice. And even if you quit on your team. Twice.

Brisco_County
01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
I had thought that he had grown up a little, but he obviously still thinks his value is based on what he says he can do, and not on what he has actually done. College doesn't count anymore, kid.

He must've been disappointed that Schaub wasn't as fragile as the media made him out to be. His best bet is to stay under the tutelage of Kubiak and show off in preseason.

CloakNNNdagger
01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
All I will be able to thinkk of now with Leinart probably gone is that we will expect (like every year) to see SOME improvement next year........and if Schaub goes down............in comes our next best tried and true...............OMG our season...........:gun:

axman40
01-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Matt who?
:kitten:

Thorn
01-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Is he gonna take his hot tub and chicks with him? Cuz that would be rude.

dickieb
01-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Thorn,

What's up with the new avatar, you've had the sarge for forever!

Thorn
01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Thorn,

What's up with the new avatar, you've had the sarge for forever!

I'll be going back with the Sarge pretty soon. For now, "Kiss My Ass" fits my mood. :joker:

Koolaid Time
01-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Is he gonna take his hot tub and chicks with him? Cuz that would be rude.

Remember he has a kid and that Basketball Baby-Momma to support, on top of the Hot Tub chicks.

He better be reasonable on salary otherwise he may end up on the streets.

I'd like to see the Texans bring in Chase Clement. He had a great year in the UFL.

We stuck Gold with an undrafted player once before....

DerekLee1
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/matt-leinart-says-hes-ready-to-be-a-starter/

Shame, I was hoping the Texans would be able to keep him as a backup and continue to groom him. Regardless I will be rooting for him. Best of luck Matt.

I'll be surprised if a team signs him as a potential starter. Wouldn't be too shocking to see him right back here next season after testing the waters.

Ryan
01-04-2011, 10:45 PM
I won't hate on the man because he was a Texan, so i'll just wish him good luck on his future endeavors.

Playoffs
01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
So long, Hollywood, don't let the (nightclub)door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

And, umm, let us know when football makes top 3 on your priority list. Best of luck with the acting classes.

Texan_Bill
01-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Matt who?

You know.....Matty.

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/03/leinartbeerbong.jpg

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2009-12/50957550.jpg

http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/thewire.sheknows.com/2010/09/matt_leinart_trade4.jpg

El Tejano
01-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Tyrell Pryor....

HuttoKarl
01-05-2011, 08:38 AM
If any of you had the bank that Matt made as a first round pick, you'd be in a hot tub full of chix too.

Don't hate him for that...hate him for sucking on the field of play.

Texan_Bill
01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
If any of you had the bank that Matt made as a first round pick, you'd be in a hot tub full of chix too.

Don't hate him for that...hate him for sucking on the field of play.

:ok: Mr. Serious!

I ain't hatin'!! I be jealous!!

HuttoKarl
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
:ok: Mr. Serious!

I ain't hatin'!! I be jealous!!

Only half serious. :bender:

Mr. White
01-05-2011, 09:28 AM
All I will be able to thinkk of now with Leinart probably gone is that we will expect (like every year) to see SOME improvement next year........and if Schaub goes down............in comes our next best tried and true...............OMG our season...........:gun:

I was hoping Leinart would be able to finally get Orlovsky outta here. It's pretty obvious now that we can't count on that guy.

Leinart might think he's ready to start again, but guys don't get starting jobs based on how they look standing on the sideline. He's still gotta prove that he's worth a 2nd string job.

I'm hoping there's a competition in the preseason for the backup job. Now would also be a good time to look for a QB in the draft.

scourge
01-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I was hoping Leinart would be able to finally get Orlovsky outta here. It's pretty obvious now that we can't count on that guy.

Leinart might think he's ready to start again, but guys don't get starting jobs based on how they look standing on the sideline. He's still gotta prove that he's worth a 2nd string job.

I'm hoping there's a competition in the preseason for the backup job. Now would also be a good time to look for a QB in the draft.

This. I think he shouldn't have had any problems taking the #2 spot from Orlovsky. Makes me wonder if it really was him, or Kubes and Co., being stubborn about justifying paying Dan O. what they did, and thinking they could turn him into quality backup. He couldn't even keep his job from Grossman.

As far as this hot tub thing, it's just something to poke fun at and nothing more. At least it's not VY's shirtless, all-male parties, or Brady Quin's photos of him in a pink polo touching his friends crotches...

DonnyMost
01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Paid his dues?

LOL.

michaelm
01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
This. I think he shouldn't have had any problems taking the #2 spot from Orlovsky. Makes me wonder if it really was him, or Kubes and Co., being stubborn about justifying paying Dan O. what they did, and thinking they could turn him into quality backup. He couldn't even keep his job from Grossman.

As far as this hot tub thing, it's just something to poke fun at and nothing more. At least it's not VY's shirtless, all-male parties, or Brady Quin's photos of him in a pink polo touching his friends crotches...

Crazy Azz Scenario:

Dud Adams keeps Jeff Fisher and cuts VY

Houston Cuts Dano, and Leinart leaves as FA

VY signs with Houston to back up Schaub

Leinart signs with the Tacks (where he would've originally gone if Dud din't over rule Fisher/ Chow) to backup Collins and compete for a starting position.

There you have it, semi-full-circle...

Carry on.

ReliantTexan
01-05-2011, 09:53 AM

http://i54.tinypic.com/edjpy.jpg

michaelm
01-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Wow... what's going on with the bottle is almost as ghey as the matching vests and camo pants.

Mr. White
01-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Paid his dues?

LOL.

Yeah. That's pretty damn funny. This kid still doesn't seem to get it.

I watched Kurt Warner and Matt Schaub too. I guess that means I paid my dues.

HuttoKarl
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM

OK...I take it back.

Just hate him.

DonnyMost
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Leinart should feel lucky to even be a backup.

Sorry, but you proved to everybody that you weren't worth a damn when a 40 year old, concussed-out-of-his-mind Kurt Warner was lighting it up in Arizona and the moment you took over, that amazing offense went straight into the sh*tter.

You had two all-world receivers and an offensive genius running the show and you couldn't even beat out a journeyman and a UDFA.

Matt Leinart, you suck.

scourge
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM

I stand corrected.

On a side note, do we have a vomit smiley? If not, we need one.

Khari
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM

is this what dudes do when they get together to party :smiliepalm:

Mr. White
01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
is this what dudes do when they get together to party :smiliepalm:

Not dudes that aren't in a boy band.

GP
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Paid his dues?

LOL.

Exactly my feelings on it.

Yeah, bro. You really stepped up and delivered this year. You're awesome. If a team doesn't want you for the starting QB role, then that team is stoopid. I'd pay you my whole war chest just to be my QB. Best ever. And not even a QB who is a close second to you, Matt Leinart. I'm proud of how you endured and are now on top of the mountain. You're a beast.

Somehow, I don't think this guy ever had a real chance here. As much as I think Kubiak is a dunce....I bet he caught on to the Leinart act pretty quickly. All this praise he's tossing Leinart's way is, IMO, just coach speak and a HC being nice about it.

"Paid my dues..." LOL. Geez Louise. That's a laugher right there.

MojoMan
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I didn't get from this that he will definitely be leaving Houston. He is just tossing his name out there in case anyone wants to give him a better situation. The fact that he wants to be a starter in this league distinguishes him from every other NFL quarterback exactly zero.

If he can find something better, good luck to him. If not, which is a real possibility, then I will not be surprised at all to see him back with the Texans again next year.

Dutchrudder
01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I bet he goes to Pittsburgh to party it up with Big Ben. You know Ben would love to have a wingman like him to do all the work getting the ladies over to their VIP room.

houstonspartan
01-05-2011, 05:00 PM
i bet he goes to pittsburgh to party it up with big ben. You know ben would love to have a wingman like him to do all the work getting the ladies over to their vip room.

lmao!

burro
01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
STFU Lienart.

That said. He's better than Dan-O. Either way, if Schaub goes down we are effed. :kubepalm:

Hardcore Texan
01-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Paid his dues?

LOL.

I am sure he is in good standing with his HOA. :kitten:

Norg
01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
What did we waste on Matt again a 4th round pick. What a waste

Austrian
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
What did we waste on Matt again a 4th round pick. What a waste

Huh? What are you talking about? We got Matt Leinart as a FA.

supersid
01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I see him going to san fran now that they have found thier new coach.it would give him 2 chances each year to get back at the cards for throwing him to the side of the road.

wildroot
01-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Huh? What are you talking about? We got Matt Leinart as a FA.

I think he only signed a 1 year contract with us so he's free to go.

MojoMan
01-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Per the article linked below from the Houston Chronicle, Matt Leinert is currently a restricted free agent, and under the current collective bargaining agreement, the Texans would have the right to match any offer he receives.

Possible lockout puts free agents in limbo (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7371555.html)

However, under the terms of a new collective bargaining agreement, which is currently being negotiated, that might no longer be the case.

thunderkyss
01-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Wow... what's going on with the bottle is almost as ghey as the matching vests and camo pants.

What's that saying about 1+1=???

ObsiWan
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Per the article linked below from the Houston Chronicle, Matt Leinert is currently a restricted free agent, and under the current collective bargaining agreement, the Texans would have the right to match any offer he receives.

Possible lockout puts free agents in limbo (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7371555.html)

However, under the terms of a new collective bargaining agreement, which is currently being negotiated, that might no longer be the case.
How will the loss of Leinart (or any of the RFAs) factor into how many comp picks we get in 2012??

MojoMan
01-08-2011, 10:51 AM
How will the loss of Leinart (or any of the RFAs) factor into how many comp picks we get in 2012??

Is any other team currently pursuing him? For us to receive compensatory picks, some team would need to sign him before the upcoming draft, which will be held April 28-30, 2011.

Also, the current CBA expires March 3, 2011. If this agreement expires prior to the completion of a new agreement, a player lockout would be put into effect. After this date, it would seem that NFL teams will probably not be able to sign players like Leinart, at least until the new CBA is agreed to.

So unless Leinart is signed by some other team prior to March 4th, with the Texans passing on re-signing him, then it appears there would be nothing to compensate for.

infantrycak
01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Is any other team currently pursuing him? For us to receive compensatory picks, some team would need to sign him before the upcoming draft, which will be held April 28-30, 2011.

Compensatory picks have nothing to do with the draft and one player can't be evaluated. The formula depends on an examination of the net losses of a team. So in order to get compensatory picks a team has to have lost bigger or more free agents than they signed up. So this year we might get something because we lost Dunta and basically only picked up Smith.

Lucky
01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Compensatory picks have nothing to do with the draft and one player can't be evaluated. The formula depends on an examination of the net losses of a team. So in order to get compensatory picks a team has to have lost bigger or more free agents than they signed up. So this year we might get something because we lost Dunta and basically only picked up Smith.
There's a thread somewhere that discusses the compensatory picks. Basically, the Texans had a zero net loss of qualifying free agents in 2010 (lost Dunta & Grossman - signed Wade Smith & Rackers). Because the "value" of Dunta is much higher than anyone the Texans signed, they are likely to receive a pick in the compensatory section of the 7th round.

IDEXAN
01-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Because the "value" of Dunta is much higher than anyone the Texans signed, they are likely to receive a pick in the compensatory section of the 7th round.
Don't we get a higher comp round than that for D-Rob, like the fourth or even third round ?

Texan4Ever
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Can we trade him to Tennessee, I suspect Jeff Fisher wanted him there when Norm Chow was the OC.

Grams
01-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Can we trade him to Tennessee, I suspect Jeff Fisher wanted him there when Norm Chow was the OC.

Think they only signed him to a 1 yar contract.

Maddict5
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Don't we get a higher comp round than that for D-Rob, like the fourth or even third round ?

i wouldve thought the same tbh

Lucky
01-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Refer to adamjt13's blog (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.html), where he goes into excruciating detail as to how the NFL determines compensatory draft picks. The key is whether a team has a plus, minus, or zero net loss regarding "qualifying" free agents.

Maddict5
01-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Refer to adamjt13's blog (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.html), where he goes into excruciating detail as to how the NFL determines compensatory draft picks. The key is whether a team has a plus, minus, or zero net loss regarding "qualifying" free agents.

only skimmed thru the link but it seems to confirm my belief that we'll get a much higher pick based on the size of dunta's contract & the falcons postseason= 3rd rd pick player

neither wade or rackers contracts etc match that so cant cancel it out. yes they'll cancel out rex's pick more than likely but unless i missed something (and like i said i skimmed) i dont think a 6th rd comp pick player can cancel out a 3rd rd pick player?

edit: nvm read it again and i think you are right actually.. but does rackers cost a comp pick? if both he and wade do then ya it might be lower actually

Lucky
01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
edit: nvm read it again and i think you are right actually.. but does rackers cost a comp pick? if both he and wade do then ya it might be lower actually
It's not me being right. adamjt13 has been doing this for years and is nails on these picks. He ran an article linking NFL GM's comments that showed that even these guys don't understand the formula (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/do-nfl-teams-know-formula-for-comp.html). In a month or so, he'll come out with a projection. If the Texans get a pick or not, adamjt13 will know.

BTW, he's come out with an article that researches the draft pick trade value (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/04/trade-value-of-nfl-draft-picks.html). An extensive read.

Kaiser Toro
01-08-2011, 08:49 PM
It's not me being right. adamjt13 has been doing this for years and is nails on these picks. He ran an article linking NFL GM's comments that showed that even these guys don't understand the formula (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/do-nfl-teams-know-formula-for-comp.html). In a month or so, he'll come out with a projection. If the Texans get a pick or not, adamjt13 will know.

BTW, he's come out with an article that researches the draft pick trade value (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/04/trade-value-of-nfl-draft-picks.html). An extensive read.

That is insane. Thanks of sharing.

Doppelganger
01-08-2011, 09:16 PM
only skimmed thru the link but it seems to confirm my belief that we'll get a much higher pick based on the size of dunta's contract & the falcons postseason= 3rd rd pick player

neither wade or rackers contracts etc match that so cant cancel it out. yes they'll cancel out rex's pick more than likely but unless i missed something (and like i said i skimmed) i dont think a 6th rd comp pick player can cancel out a 3rd rd pick player?

In addition to relevant value the other issue is playing time and the number of "qualifying" players lost.

So who did we lose: 1) DR, 2) Grossman, and 3) Pitts.

Now, the qualifying players lost were DR and Grossman as Pitts was cut by Seattle. He was resigned, so I don't know how that is factored in.

We picked up Smith and Rackers. It can be argued that we got 2 starters(OG and K) and lost 1 starter (DR). Grossman started 3 games and Pitts started 5. In contrast, Rackers and Smith started all 16 games.

Next is the money issue:
1. Dr=$12 million
2. Smith=$875,330 +Rackers=$1,104,550-> 1.9 mill

So there is a major diff between 12 mill and 1.9 mill.

The quality player number clearly favors the texans, the money issue does not.

So, once it all goes into the mysterious formula, I see a 6th/7th rounder because we got 2 starters. If we got one starter then it would have been a 5th. If we got 0 starters a 4th. If DR was a probowl CB, or he was a defensive player of the year and we got 0 starters, then it would have been a third.

It is VERY hard to get a third round compensatory pick, as it should be. If it wasn't you would see teams in rebuilding mode, cut all their older players in order to stock up on numerous extra compensatory 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounders.

Maddict5
01-08-2011, 09:22 PM
the only thing we can hope for imo is if they dont count rackers as a starter due to the limited snaps a kicker gets

JB
01-08-2011, 09:23 PM
the only thing we can hope for imo is if they dont count rackers as a starter due to the limited snaps a kicker gets

Yeah, kickers ain't real football players anyhow...:kitten:

Doppelganger
01-08-2011, 09:28 PM

He also kicks off though. So add the number of kickoffs (67), his fg attempts(30), and his epa (43)=140.

That's not a lot. So, maybe he is considered a half player?

keyser
01-08-2011, 11:22 PM
In addition to relevant value the other issue is playing time and the number of "qualifying" players lost.
So, once it all goes into the mysterious formula, I see a 6th/7th rounder because we got 2 starters. If we got one starter then it would have been a 5th. If we got 0 starters a 4th. If DR was a probowl CB, or he was a defensive player of the year and we got 0 starters, then it would have been a third.

It is VERY hard to get a third round compensatory pick, as it should be. If it wasn't you would see teams in rebuilding mode, cut all their older players in order to stock up on numerous extra compensatory 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounders.

This was discussed a fair amount in this thread:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79118

The issue is mainly about salary contracts more than starters, and it's not a total up what you gain/lost. Basically players cancel each other out. Dunta was almost certainly worth a 3rd round pick due to his very high contract, but we signed too many FAs (and didn't have enough leave), so we probably won't get it. Basically, it comes down to how Grossman and Pitts count in the calculation. If both count (not likely) , we will get a 3rd. pick. If one counts (seems likely) we get a 7th. If neither counts (quite possible) we get nothing. For Pitts, the question is whether his being signed late, and then cut and then resigned means he counts at all (probably not). For Grossman, the question is how many incentives he earned (his base salary was not enough to qualify, but with bonuses he might have earned, he might).

As for Leinart, he will probably sign a contract big enough to count as a FA for compensatory picks, but the new CBA could change it all around. But, my guess is that we will once again sign more FAs than we lose (I expect Wade to bring in a bunch of people, and I don't think we'll lose more than a few of our FAs that would qualify).

CloakNNNdagger
05-12-2011, 11:50 AM
From PFT:

When Matt Leinart was available as a free agent last September, his former coach Pete Carroll didnít show any interest in signing him in Seattle. That could change this offseason.

Scott Wolf of the Los Angeles Daily News, who breaks plenty of USC-related stories, hears that Carroll and Leinart have spoken about Leinart joining the Seahawks next season.

With Matt Hasselbeck a free agent and no incoming rookie quarterback, the Seahawks have a bigger need at the position than they did last year. Still, the fact Carroll didnít want Leinart a year ago as a third quarterback says a lot.

If the Seahawks wanted to bring him in this year ó a big if ó we suspect nothing would be guaranteed for Carrollís former prize pupil. Not even a roster spot.

2slik4u
05-12-2011, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=Mixgosu;1628290]You all need to stop bashing Leinart. - Why?

He didnt even get a chance to play here. - Because he sucked

Kubiak was too busy trying to win the final game in order for us to move our pick from 6th to 11th in the draft.....This has to do with bashing Leinart how??????