PDA

View Full Version : Looming lockout was a factor in retaining Kubiak

jaayteetx
01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
per Bob McNair in an Associated Press interview. If this has been brought up already, please merge.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d7517b/article/texans-owner-mcnair-says-bad-year-will-make-kubiak-better?module=HP_headlines

Corrosion
01-04-2011, 03:30 PM
McNair said a major overhaul of the staff would've been too risky, especially with the possibility of a lockout looming in the spring. McNair wanted to preserve some stability, in case preparations for next season are delayed by labor negotiations.

:peek:

Ive said this multiple times since we began discussing Kubiak's fate that Bob would consider this .... But hey , Im just crazy.

:chickendance:

wagonhed
01-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Ive said this multiple times since we began discussing Kubiak's fate that Bob would consider this .... But hey , Im just crazy.

WOW, what crazy insight. Noone else on the board was predicting that this might be a factor. Are you secretly an NFL agent?

Corrosion
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
WOW, what crazy insight. Noone else on the board was predicting that this might be a factor. Are you secretly an NFL agent?

Werent you one of the many that said this would play no part in the decision ?!

:texanbill::texanbill::texanbill:

HoustonFrog
01-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Wasn't he quoted on Bob Allen that the lockout would have no bearing on it? I know I heard and saw that. So he is talking out both sides.

Also, what the hell is this

"I don't think anybody was calling for his head after that season," McNair said. "This year, he has gone through some very difficult times and I think he's a better coach now than he was then because of those experiences. I don't think he went from being a good coach in one year to being a bad coach."

A boatlaod of people were aksing for his head last year before his extension. Is Bob really this dense?

J_R
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Wasn't he quoted on Bob Allen that the lockout would have no bearing on it? I know I heard and saw that. So he is talking out both sides.

Yes he did say that.

Possible lockout have any effect?

No I dont think so. People ask about it and say what are you gonna do. You have to identify the problem. Didnt perform the way we wanted to. I'm upset about it. We have to find the basis or cause for the record. Until you do that, you cant solve it. You identify the problem. Find where you fall short and then find your options. You can replace everyone. Doing that is tramatic. New coaches wanna replace all the players and everyone. If there is no other recourse than to tear down everything, if you have to do that, you do it. If you can isolate it and not severe, you find what is needed.

wagonhed
01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Werent you one of the many that said this would play no part in the decision ?!

:texanbill::texanbill::texanbill:
No, I wasn't, because I don't ever pretend to guess McNair's motives or reasons for doing what he does.

I said it SHOULDN'T play a part in the decision (as did most everyone else), and of course what McNair did has nothing to do with what SHOULD have been done.

TexanSam
01-04-2011, 05:05 PM
This isn't related to this thread but does anyone know which player is the representative for the Texans? Didn't want to start a new thread just to ask.

wagonhed
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
This isn't related to this thread but does anyone know which player is the representative for the Texans? Didn't want to start a new thread just to ask.

I'm not sure but my guess would be Demeco Ryans since I know he is active with the players union. Don't have any sources for that.

Pollardized
01-04-2011, 06:06 PM

i'm not an agent; but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :cowboy1:

houstonspartan
01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Then he's a flat out liar, because Bob Allen asked him if the lockout would play a factor in any decision, and he said no.

Double Barrel
01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Then he's a flat out liar, because Bob Allen asked him if the lockout would play a factor in any decision, and he said no.

He also wormed his way around the question of what they planned to do about coaching, and his yada yada yada evaluation replies over and over was a giant crock of crap. He knew what his decision was, but his eyes were shifty like a politician and my instincts just thought lies lies lies.

But I figured he's a liar when he acted like it was playoffs or bust last off-season, only to weasel out of that commitment with all that 'right track' rhetoric after a freakin' loss.

You know, it's a pretty slimy feeling when you get so sick and tired of the meaningless words out of an owner that you start to even slightly appreciate the blunt honesty of a slimeball like Bud Adams. At least you know where that pos stands as an owner. Bob is mealy-mouthed.

CretorFrigg
01-04-2011, 06:36 PM

He's a businessman...

I trust him as much as I trust politicians.

Corrosion
01-04-2011, 07:28 PM
No, I wasn't, because I don't ever pretend to guess McNair's motives or reasons for doing what he does.

I said it SHOULDN'T play a part in the decision (as did most everyone else), and of course what McNair did has nothing to do with what SHOULD have been done.

Easy for you to say that when you arent the one on the hook to pay him for next season .... when there may be no season. Its easy to spend someone elses money.

He's a businessman...

I trust him as much as I trust politicians.

Yep , you got it .... and just like politicians , its easy to spend other people's money. :lol:

b0ng
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm sure this has been said before in this very thread, but that is a horrible reason for keeping a not-very-good head coach. Bob McNair should be ashamed of himself for attempting to shit in my face and call his actions "on the right track".

But whatever, I've steeled myself for some sort of new horrific nightmare Kubiak has cooked up for me in '11. I'm a sucker, a chump, a sap, if you will.

DerekLee1
01-04-2011, 07:41 PM
McNair said a major overhaul of the staff would've been too risky, especially with the possibility of a lockout looming in the spring. McNair wanted to preserve some stability, in case preparations for next season are delayed by labor negotiations.

This part sounds like the author putting words in Bob's mouth. Notice the lack of quotation marks, and the separation of that second part by a comma. He said on ABC that blowing up the staff would be "traumatic". Author put it in his own words.

I'm still convinced that Kubiak is "Bob's guy" and that has a whole lot more to do with it than the lockout.

Corrosion
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm still convinced that Kubiak is "Bob's guy" and that has a whole lot more to do with it than the lockout.

Bob's said it himself he believes in Kubiak .... Ive quoted that statement several times in the discussions of why Bob would keep him around .... A couple million bucks is just another reason to add to those others.

GP
01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Speculation no more.

Bob McNair is, indeed, a cheap-ass son-of-a-***** who said the lockout was a factor.

Whoever sits here on this board, and continues to tell us otherwise is just trying to blow as much smoke up our asses as our beloved owner has....which means that birds of a feather flock together...which means Bob McNair and his McNuthuggers out there are one in the same.

"Continuity makes it easier to be ready, as opposed to if you completely changed your systems, and the players weren't around to be taught the new system," McNair said. "And then you come back to play and you're trying to start out with a new system, and the players aren't properly prepared. That could be a very difficult situation, and we certainly don't want to find ourselves in that boat."

McNair also acknowledged that fired Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips is a top candidate to become Houston's next defensive coordinator, but added that he's "one of several." McNair wants a new coordinator in place within two weeks

So this owner has DICKED AROUND for almost a decade, without a true d-coord, and now wants one "in place" in about two weeks? LOL!!!!

Of course, Bob. That's so smart, Bob. You had almost a whole damn decade, Bob, to figure this out and try it out--You know, the whole "genuine d-coord" idea--but nah....let your head coaches (dumbass head coaches who themselves should not be head coaching but rather COORDINATING some aspect of the team) pick out the d-coord spanning almost a whole decade now. Yeah, now it's time to ramp it up and hit the turbo boosters.

Every player on every season's Texans team is owed an apology and free parking for life because the owner is a royal brainfart of epic proportions. His inability to identify and hire appropriate personnel, culminating in the now hyper intensive search for an experienced d-coord, has caused those players a lot. They're the ones going out there and gutting it out, subjecting themselves to the pathetic leadership Bob has put before them. Bob just walks around patting asses when we win, meekly grinning and patting asses when we lose, taking QB advice from a former Bronco (Reeves), hiring former Broncos, allowing former Broncos to hire fellow former Broncos, and just generally effing up the whole thing. But we got us a great offense! Hoo-freaking-ray! We can hang on our hat on that. When we're getting embarrassed on national TV, or watching playoff hopes dwindle down to the level of the NFL Math Gang getting out their official Texans logo-emblazened NFL Mathometer Equation Sheets, to see what weird combinations of wins and losses gets us into the playofs....when it's still 8 damn games away from the end of the reg season (LOL!), then we can jump up and down about how we have the league's best WR or how we have the league's best RB. There's no end to the great things we can exclaim about our fantasmic team!!! Oh, except the real things that matter, that is. But who the hell cares about that?

I don't.

I want Bob McNair to say "Playoffs is the expectation," and then watch him hit the revisionist history button and find some way to say that what he said is old hat and the new gig is that Gary didn't just all of a sudden go from being a good coach to a bad coach in one season. Wake up, BOB! He is a choker. He's Kris Brown with bigger hair! He's David Carr without the mittens. Gary Kubiak is a guy who is in over his head. Period.

But hey, you got that lockout looming. I understand. I mean, there might not EVER be football EVER again. So you can't possibly be expected to roll the dice and dip into the war chest. Nah. Save it for the rainy day that will never come, since your house is built in a fantasy world outside of reality anyways. Go with the safe play.We understand. It's hard being one of the league's most profitable franchises. Wouldn't want you to risk that statistical ranking.

Players and fans want glory. Yeah, the players also want money. Obviously they do. But they also want glory. They don't want, and we don't want--excuse me for a second, SOME of us do not want--to be treated like children whose daddy tells them this is too complicated for us to understand and we just need to trust daddy and what he's doing. Some of us don't trust daddy anymore. Daddy says one thing, and does another, and all the other kids at school think our daddy is so swell. But he isn't. He's a jackass. If they only knew, except OH WAIT! they already DO know about us. They laugh at us on the forums and in the workplace on Monday mornings.

So glad you got your back patted at the owner's meeting. So glad they gave you a hankie to dry your tears and bought you a steak dinner and rubbed baby powder on your butt cheeks and told you how good you been doing this year and how sad it is that things just aren't working out for your awesomely built team.

McNair should have his vocal chords removed and just smile and wave at the camera. Pat some asses. Because his words betray his actions. Bad daddies say one thing and do the polar opposite. Patterns. Habits.

Bob McNair, officially, has been defined accordingly.

Which means we will only succeed if (a) other teams' wheels fall off and we can capitalize off their mistakes, which is inherently risky to believe since our OWN wheels usually fall off and we can't overcome our own faults, or (b) The Blind Squirrel Theory which states that we have to blindly stumble upon an acorn (a great head coach) who can single-handedly overcome the inept owner of this team.

Of course that guy might have been Bill Cowher, but I digress....

And the d-coord is to be found within about two weeks..since training camp starts in three weeks. You know, tick tock...tick tock....we're always busy around Reliant building champion-caliber teams and stuff. No time to waste! Run, run, run everywhere you go! Out of the way, touring family, we're sprinting down the halls of Reliant trying to get this Super Bowl team off the ground and into orbit! Zoooooom!!!!! Whoooooosh!!!!! Look at us go! We're kings of the world!

LOL.

I have fallen down the rabbit hole, and there is a pile of poop and piss awaiting me to break my fall. Thanks, Bob! Texans are the best.

There's no door to hit me in the ass on the way out, either, because the door doesn't exist. The house doesn't exist. This is all one big, fat imaginary NFL team. I root for Houston Daydreamers. Look, ma! We gonna' get us a real bonified dee-fensive co-ordinator, ma! He's Bum's kid, ma! 'Member Bum? Yeah, Bum's his daddy, ma! And Wade's momma done told the newspaper that her baby boy is surriously thinkin' about coming to our Daydreamer team, ma! Aww shucks, look out Patriots! You in a 'heap uh trubble now!

FML.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbhd6jlq6H1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

GP
01-04-2011, 08:04 PM

You, sir, are smarter than that.

And you know it.

Texan_Bill
01-04-2011, 08:07 PM

You weren't the only one, hero!! Don't go breaking your arm pattin' yourself on the back! ;)

Kimmy
01-04-2011, 08:58 PM

It's DeMecco Ryans. Last year it was Chester Pitts.

Corrosion
01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
You weren't the only one, hero!! Don't go breaking your arm pattin' yourself on the back! ;)

:aggressive:

..... might have failed statistics 101 but they sure didnt fail economics. Or common sense.