PDA

View Full Version : Owen Daniels

mariowillshine15
01-02-2011, 06:58 PM
How great is it to have him back?

He makes this offense so much more dangerous.

What do you think it will take to lock him up long term?

Ryan
01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Probably alot less then pre-injury OD.

DocBar
01-02-2011, 07:08 PM
OD is so-so for making the club next year. Dreesen has proven himself. How much do we want to pay a TE that is great when healthy but missed 8 games last year and 5 this year? I'm a HUGE OD fan, but I'm a bigger fan of staying out of salary cap hell. Any contracts we sign will be applicable to a salary cap if a collective bargaining agreement is signed.

Jackie Chiles
01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
OD is so-so for making the club next year. Dreesen has proven himself. How much do we want to pay a TE that is great when healthy but missed 8 games last year and 5 this year? I'm a HUGE OD fan, but I'm a bigger fan of staying out of salary cap hell. Any contracts we sign will be applicable to a salary cap if a collective bargaining agreement is signed.

Dreesen has proved to be serviceable but OD is Pro-Bowl caliber. If we don't lock him up I will be extremely pissed, salary cap or not.

Hervoyel
01-02-2011, 07:15 PM

I would prefer we re-sign Daniels. I do not care for Dreeson. He's good for a couple of truly epic screw ups a year.

gary
01-02-2011, 07:15 PM

I am not sure if he'll be back to be honest but I hope so.

checo446
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Dreesen has proved to be serviceable but OD is Pro-Bowl caliber. If we don't lock him up I will be extremely pissed, salary cap or not.

Ditto... I think we need to retain both. Gives us some awesome options with two TE sets. Dreesen might be serviceable, but he doesn't have the same ability as a receiving threat that OD brings. With OD finally healthy, he simply makes everyone better on the field as he seems to always find the openings on the field...

PapaL
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
We have options which do NOT include throwing max money his way. He is just not "there" yet.

BullsOnParade
01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I'd love to have OD back next year. He makes Schaub that much better. I'd honestly would rather sign OD than Pollard. But we have to unload some of our TE's. If we draft another tight end, I might start to root for another team.

ATXtexanfan
01-02-2011, 08:23 PM
i think all our money should be spent on D

2slik4u
01-02-2011, 08:41 PM

I say we either franchise him (if possible) or test the market to see what we can get for him (if possible).

Not exactly sure on where we stand with him right now, I just know I do not want to break the bank on his glass knees.

Confidence in Dreesen is growing with every play I see him in.

beerlover
01-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Both sides respect each other so the Texans will extend Owen a fair package he gladly accepts. He is simply too valueable to this offense to ignore, even with his extensive injury history, a deal gets done :)

2slik4u
01-02-2011, 08:45 PM

You do realize he's had THREE knee surgeries between both of his knees in his career right? One more and he's toast.

I say offer him a modest contract that a TE with major knee issues is worth and if he takes it, great. If not, send him packing and let him be another teams possible injury prone problem.

Dont get me wrong, he's a hell of a TE but the knees are just too much for to look past.

Runner
01-02-2011, 08:45 PM

I have little confidence in Smith locking anyone up long term.

The players are always too greedy and impossible to negotiate with. :sarcasm:

I'm sure he will keep players that can't leave though. He's tough.

Lucky
01-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I say we either franchise him (if possible)

Confidence in Dreesen is growing with every play I see him in.
I think it's very possible, even likely. And fair, considering Owen did not play a full season.

Regarding Dreessen, he will never be more than a stopgap at TE. He will never be what Daniels was or could be again. Which is why Daniels must be retained, now that we know the offensive system will remain intact.

2slik4u
01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I think it's very possible, even likely. And fair, considering Owen did not play a full season.

Regarding Dreessen, he will never be more than a stopgap at TE. He will never be what Daniels was or could be again. Which is why Daniels must be retained, now that we know the offensive system will remain intact.

There is no comparison between Dreesen and OD as far as blocking goes though. I think its no coincedence (sp) that our running game has been so good now that we have a 6th O-lineman over there.

I would like both but I dont want to pay him top money to do it.

DocBar
01-02-2011, 09:36 PM

I would prefer we re-sign Daniels. I do not care for Dreeson. He's good for a couple of truly epic screw ups a year.

I was speaking on behalf of the bean counters. I absolutely love what OD brings to the team. That doesn't mean the bean counters do.

wagonhed
01-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't think we should pay for OD. Dreessen is more than serviceable in my opinion, I just don't think we use him properly. Tight ends are easy to come by in this league. Look at how many teams have a very good or great TE. Gates, Davis, Clark, Cooley, Celek, Winslow, Witten, Gonzalez, Keller, Lewis, Zach Miller, and those new guys on KC, NE, and DET. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. We've got Dreessen, Casey, and who knows what we have in Graham. Let OD go. He was great, but being a great TE is simply not that special these days.

2slik4u
01-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't think we should pay for OD. Dreessen is more than serviceable in my opinion, I just don't think we use him properly. Tight ends are easy to come by in this league. Look at how many teams have a very good or great TE. Gates, Davis, Clark, Cooley, Celek, Winslow, Witten, Gonzalez, Keller, Lewis, Zach Miller, and those new guys on KC, NE, and DET. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. We've got Dreessen, Casey, and who knows what we have in Graham. Let OD go. He was great, but being a great TE is simply not that special these days.

This.

ubecool454
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM

He appears to be back because after he was getting popped he jumps up smiling and liking the contact. Tough guy OD.

ubecool454
01-03-2011, 03:27 PM

I like OD much better than Dreessen because Dreessen just doesn't have the hands or run with the power of OD. Dreessen can go and be a starting TE for a team like the Panthers and we wouldn't miss him because of Casey and Garrett Graham. I just wish we could have seen Graham and more Casey on other than special teams. If I had it my way I would try to package up Dreessen, Okoye and Jacoby and see whats crackin.

Texanmike02
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
This.

The guy you were quoting is on ignore but I'll quote you and reply to both of you.

Of course there are 10 "top ten" TE's. There are 10 "ten tallest" and 10 "ten shortest".

Of the people mentioned, Gates, Witten and Gonzalez (historically) are the only guys that you worry about catching a 3 yard slant across the middle and turning it into a 45 yard gain. Everyone else on that list does one or two things well. There is also a difference between being a guy who can run in a straight line and find the seam vs a cover 2 team and a guy that demands coverage anywhere he goes on the field.

Dressen is in line with everyone else mentioned in that post. OD is in line with Gates, Witten and Gonzalez. He doesn't just scare you in the flats, or just scare you in the seam.. he doesn't run one route real well... he scares you when he steps on the field and he runs every route well. Dressen would fall in line with the first definition. OD has Cooley/Gates/Gonzalez hands.

You can probably throw Davis in that group, but the list is much shorter than it would appear.

Mike

Ole Miss Texan
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Daniels is one of those guys I thought we could replace, particularly after his injury. Wasn't going to be worth the money he may ask for. I do think we actually have decent TEs in Dresseen and the others too. They can be productive. BUT!!! After watching OD again, oh my he's fun to watch. He just looks so smooth and effortless and I'm definitely reminded of the significant drop off from OD to the other TEs.

Kimmy
01-03-2011, 04:16 PM
What about Casey? Dude can play

Ole Miss Texan
01-03-2011, 04:22 PM

What about Casey?

Def. has a spot on the team. Special Teams starter and a backup Tight End. I would not push to start him over Owen Daniels though...

Kimmy
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
What about Casey?

Def. has a spot on the team. Special Teams starter and a backup Tight End. I would not push to start him over Owen Daniels though...

Agreed -- but if we lost OD, Casey should be given every opportunity to start. Behind Walter, above Dressen. TE is one of our deepest and most talented positions. That's a good thing.

VTexan
01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
i think all our money should be spent on d

baileychampbaileychamp

champbaileychampbailey

PapaL
01-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I would NOT be happy if we spent all our money on Champ. 7 years ago, for sure. Today? With age and injuries? Nope.

TexanSam
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I'd love to have him back but if he asks for max money or a steep contract, the Texans would be right in not offering him one. He's fantastic when he's healthy but he has to prove he can stay on the field first.

Jackie Chiles
01-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Casey can replace Dreesen if he gets too expensive and be good depth/ST in the meantime.

2slik4u
01-03-2011, 07:02 PM
The guy you were quoting is on ignore but I'll quote you and reply to both of you.

Of course there are 10 "top ten" TE's. There are 10 "ten tallest" and 10 "ten shortest".

Of the people mentioned, Gates, Witten and Gonzalez (historically) are the only guys that you worry about catching a 3 yard slant across the middle and turning it into a 45 yard gain. Everyone else on that list does one or two things well. There is also a difference between being a guy who can run in a straight line and find the seam vs a cover 2 team and a guy that demands coverage anywhere he goes on the field.

Dressen is in line with everyone else mentioned in that post. OD is in line with Gates, Witten and Gonzalez. He doesn't just scare you in the flats, or just scare you in the seam.. he doesn't run one route real well... he scares you when he steps on the field and he runs every route well. Dressen would fall in line with the first definition. OD has Cooley/Gates/Gonzalez hands.

You can probably throw Davis in that group, but the list is much shorter than it would appear.

Mike

I agree with you. What you are turning your "blinders" on is to the fact that he has had THREE MAJOR KNEE SURGERIES.

If you are ok with that and would pay "whatever" it takes to retain him then that is idiotic.

Football is a violent sport and any player that has one major knee surgery already has an asteriks (sp?) next to his name, let alone three.

If we can franchise him, do that. If we can get him for relatively cheap, do that as well but I would not be happy breaking the bank on a guy who is one bad tackle from being done in the NFL.

As far as his big play ability, I agree with you 100%. Its his glass knees that scare me.

2slik4u
01-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Agreed -- but if we lost OD, Casey should be given every opportunity to start. Behind Walter, above Dressen. TE is one of our deepest and most talented positions. That's a good thing.

Dont see how Casey has earned the right to start over Dreesen?

Texanmike02
01-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I agree with you. What you are turning your "blinders" on is to the fact that he has had THREE MAJOR KNEE SURGERIES.

If you are ok with that and would pay "whatever" it takes to retain him then that is idiotic.

Football is a violent sport and any player that has one major knee surgery already has an asteriks (sp?) next to his name, let alone three.

If we can franchise him, do that. If we can get him for relatively cheap, do that as well but I would not be happy breaking the bank on a guy who is one bad tackle from being done in the NFL.

As far as his big play ability, I agree with you 100%. Its his glass knees that scare me.

I wasn't saying pay him whatever it takes. I was just making the point that "top tier" tight ends aren't a dime a dozen. Unless you define them as top 15 or 20.

I don't know what I stop at but I know its higher than I would for Dressen. The unfortunate reality is that Dressen, Casey (right now), and all but 3 or 4 TEs in the league can be replaced easily. OD is in that top 3 or 4 in the league who is just "that" special. And yeah, his knees worry me. That said, if its my job on the line and i have to choose between keeping JJ and signing OD, GIVE ME OD. He is on the short list of players who basically has his job locked down the minute camp breaks. There aren't many on the team that can say that.

Mike

2slik4u
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I wasn't saying pay him whatever it takes. I was just making the point that "top tier" tight ends aren't a dime a dozen. Unless you define them as top 15 or 20.

I don't know what I stop at but I know its higher than I would for Dressen. The unfortunate reality is that Dressen, Casey (right now), and all but 3 or 4 TEs in the league can be replaced easily. OD is in that top 3 or 4 in the league who is just "that" special. And yeah, his knees worry me. That said, if its my job on the line and i have to choose between keeping JJ and signing OD, GIVE ME OD. He is on the short list of players who basically has his job locked down the minute camp breaks. There aren't many on the team that can say that.

Mike

Not sure why it would come down Jacoby Jones or OD????

Pantherstang84
01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
The real question is whether McNair loves him some OD. If he does, they will sign him.

2slik4u
01-03-2011, 07:32 PM
The real question is whether McNair loves him some OD. If he does, they will sign him.

This is true.

Texanmike02
01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Not sure why it would come down Jacoby Jones or OD????

I'm not saying it would... just that if it came down to the two of them, I'd take OD.

Mike

The1ApplePie
01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
OD may be close to washed up, but if he goes, then the Texans need to go WR early.

The team needs another playmaker besides AJ in the passing game. KW doesn't do it.

Htownsportsfan
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
The fact that OD missed so much time this season and didnt look like the old OD until the last few games coupled with the labor situation might make him the perfect candidate for one year deal.

I love OD and before his injury was on his way to being one of the top pass catching TE's in the league. However, rumor was before his injury he was looking to be paid Winslow money and that just cant happen with all the holes that need filling on this team. As mentioned before he has had multiple knee surgeries and with the Texans Black Cloud he would probably trip over his wallet and suffer a career ending injury if we broke the bank for him.

He is better than any of our other TE's nut the offense scored plenty of points when he was injured. Well in one half of the game anyway! Its obvious we need to spend on defense and could use a legit number 2 WR. I just cant stand to watch another 3rd down pass bounce of JJ hands.

TheMatrix31
01-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Gotta keep Daniels. I know about the injuries, but he's Schaub's security blanket. Evident in the way the offense just didn't look the same after his injury last year and for a lot of this year.