PDA

View Full Version : So, has your off-season already been ruined?

Marcus
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
For lots of fans whose football teams had seasons that didn't meet their expectations, "blowing it up and starting all over" is the only thing that can give a fan that "mental reset" going into the offseason.

Since, apparently that Kubiak won't be fired, as a fan, have you been robbed of the chance to have that mental reset?

Thorn
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Re: So, has your off-season already been ruined?

No, I'm used to it now.

houstonhurricane
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
No reset. Absolutely zero enjoyment with pro football right now.

Mr. White
01-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't think anybody necessarily wants a mental reset.

What fans are wanting is hope for the future.

jaayteetx
01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
You know, I was thinking something along those lines....like what really sucks about this year, besides all the losses, is that it's gonna temper my enthusiasm for next year as well. Thanks :kubepalm:

Wolf
01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
nope, the season was ruined early for me with this atrocious secondary. Even if we made the playoffs, I felt we would have gotten trounced

I was all about Cowher possibly coming in but I have accepted the fact that Kubiak would stay and it is what it is.

Now if they don't bring in an experienced and proven DC ... I will be really upset, but I understand that it depends on what happens with the 5 plus teams that are needing a head coach already and what proven DC wouldn't want to become a HC over just a DC?

TheMatrix31
01-02-2011, 02:54 PM
No it hasn't been ruined. Depends on what happens with the defensive coordinator and staff, as well as free agency and draft picks.

Runner
01-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm good. I based my expectations on past performance, so the Texans pretty much met my expectations this season.

Hookem Horns
01-02-2011, 03:04 PM
The sad thing is they don't need to "blow it all up and start over again". They already have a lot of pieces in place. One of the critical pieces they need is a HC that can plug in the holes and get the most out of the talent that is already here.

Bringing in the best DC available is not going to fix that problem. Many are pointing out that happened with Jack Pardee however Pardee made the playoffs every season up to that point. Just bringing in a DC made more sense there. However that is not the case here.

A good HC could win now. Kubiak is not going to win now or next season because he is not a good HC. The dude has had 5 years to prove that.

I am going to reserve judgement until Monday. I know what all the reports are speculating however I am still finding it hard to believe that McNair is so stupid to keep Kubiak after he clearly demonstrated that he has no idea what he is doing. The guy even has admitted it himself. How many times has Kubiak said "I don't know" when asked about how he plans going about fixing something? That is just unacceptable. Does McNair not listen to his coach's press conferences?

Again, I am going to wait for Monday and see for myself that McNair is so assinine (mispelled on purpose) to keep Kubiak. If he does then he is far worse an owner than I would have ever imagined. If that is the case then he can suffer without me next season.

Wolf
01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
The sad thing is they don't need to "blow it all up and start over again". They already have a lot of pieces in place. One of the critical pieces they need is a HC that can plug in the holes and get the most out of the talent that is already here.

Bringing in the best DC available is not going to fix that problem. Many are pointing out that happened with Jack Pardee however Pardee made the playoffs every season up to that point. Just bringing in a DC made more sense there. However that is not the case here.

A good HC could win now. Kubiak is not going to win now or next season because he is not a good HC. The dude has had 5 years to prove that.

I am going to reserve judgement until Monday. I know what all the reports are speculating however I am still finding it hard to believe that McNair is so stupid to keep Kubiak after he clearly demonstrated that he has no idea what he is doing. The guy even has admitted it himself. How many times has Kubiak said "I don't know" when asked about how he plans going about fixing something? That is just unacceptable. Does McNair not listen to his coach's press conferences?

Again, I am going to wait for Monday and see for myself that McNair is so assinine (mispelled on purpose) to keep Kubiak. If he does then he is far worse an owner than I would have ever imagined. If that is the case then he can suffer without me next season.

reminds me of U-571 movie quote

Don't you dare say what you said to the boys back there, again, I don't know. Those three words will kill a boy the same as a depth charge. (http://www.quotemountain.com/famous_quote_author/u-571_famous_quotations/)

Chief Klough: You're the skipper now. And the skipper always knows what to do whether he does or not. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141926/quotes)

houstonspartan
01-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Marcus, I like the idea of this thread. You're right. It's good to have the "mental reset".

My problem is that I just saw Raheem Morriss, a second year coach, guide his team to 10 wins in a competitive division. And mike smith, third year coach, has one of the best squads in sports.

Meanwhile, Gary Kubiak, FIFTH YEAR, has done nothing.

Grams
01-02-2011, 03:12 PM

This.

Buffi2
01-02-2011, 03:54 PM

The "I don't know" answers just do me in. Either he has to know and isn't saying or he needs to go get another job. I vote for the latter.

Dutchrudder
01-02-2011, 04:13 PM
For lots of fans whose football teams had seasons that didn't meet their expectations, "blowing it up and starting all over" is the only thing that can give a fan that "mental reset" going into the offseason.

Since, apparently that Kubiak won't be fired, as a fan, have you been robbed of the chance to have that mental reset?

Maybe one of these would help:

http://malialitman.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/men-in-black-smith-and-jones.jpg?w=300&h=231

They could put the Texans Logo on them and sell them at the NFL shop.

2slik4u
01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
hells no. Ill forget about this season in about a month or two and start thinking about next season.

I have a feeling that many of you out there will cool down a bit and accept what is happening and get on with life and start cheering on your team again.

cdollaz
01-02-2011, 05:42 PM
If Kubiak is around next year, I will have zero excitement, anticipation, or positive expectations going into next season. That sucks.

eriadoc
01-02-2011, 05:44 PM

I think you're blindly out of touch with what people have been saying. Obviously, the optimism that was supposed to be carried over from one season to the next for the past four years hasn't done shit, has it? People don't want a reset for the hell of it, nor do they want the team to be "blown up". They want the team to win, and Kubiak has shown repeatedly that he can't do it as a head coach for this team.

There are a lot of things I like about Kubiak, and I really wanted him to succeed here. But if he hasn't done it in five years, it's time to find someone who can. Only one other coach since 1970 has been retained after starting off 0-5 for playoff appearances. No other team in the NFL has a coach that has been around that long without making the playoffs.

Either the players suck, they're not getting coached up to be better, or the schemes suck. Kubiak is in charge of all three. When you consider the questionable calls in critical situations, the terrible clock management, and his roster management, Kubiak is a failure. It really is that simple.

Marcus
01-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I think you're blindly out of touch with what people have been saying.

I just asked if your off-season has been ruined since they are keeping Kubiak. Seemed pretty straight-forward to me.

Malloy
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Playoffs are fun, and also I'm hoping the ice will go away soon so I can get back to windsurfing :)

Porky
01-02-2011, 06:31 PM
For the first time in 8 yrs now, I took a friggin nap during the game. I had a drink, and napped for about 1 full qtr. And that is about the most excitement I can muster. I'm teetering. If McNoob tries to sell this piece of garbage regime to me and keeps saying how close we are, I'm out. He is Bill Bidwell, and as clueless. I don't want to be the Cardinals, or God forbid the Lions.

The truth is until the ownership changes, we are the freaking Lions. :kubepalm:

So, if that happens as I expect, I'm looking for a new team. I'm even thinking about Dallas. I've hit rock bottom. Only God can save me now. :mariopalm:

Showtime100
01-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I just asked if your off-season has been ruined since they are keeping Kubiak. Seemed pretty straight-forward to me.

To answer this question, yes. I never lost respect for the Oilers for whatever reason, but keeping Kubes is causing me to wonder why I love the Texans. Major issues here.

HoustonFrog
01-02-2011, 06:39 PM

Excellent post. Agree. My only hope is that McNair through out floaters to see what the reaction was and that he still is dissatisfied. A half empty stadium was a start

Marcus
01-02-2011, 11:40 PM
After listening to McNair on "Inside the news", the 'assumption' is that Kubiak is staying, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I never was any good at interepreting heming and hawing.

Thorn
01-03-2011, 07:40 AM
McNair this, McNair that, Kubiak this, Kubiak that.

I don't give a shit anymore. I just want to watch the hometown pro football franchise win lots of games. Be it the Oilers, Gamblers, and now Texans, I've never seen a Houston team win the championship. And the way things are going here, it's looking like I still be waiting for a while.

Seņor Stan
01-03-2011, 07:54 AM

I have a built in "mental reset". It's called February.

beerlover
01-03-2011, 08:00 AM
my mental reset is always the draft. would also like to see millions wisely spent in free agency for good measure :)

midway
01-03-2011, 09:18 AM
My mental reset started about 6 weeks ago when I realized we were once again not going to make the playoffs and games just became about seeing how spectacularly we could lose.

HTown2ATX
01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes, my off season has kind of been soured. With the pillars of idiocy still in place in the front office and coaching staff we can look forward to more future bust draft picks but maybe, MAYBE this year ole Boob McBoob opens up the check book and gets some veteran FA's in here on defense.

My apathy and anger are battling each other on this one. Part of me just doesn't give an F right now thanks to our genious owner keeping Kubiak again which is why I only watched a few minutes of the worthless game last night against JAX.

Part of me is just pissed about the whole thing. This is the first time ever since this team was created that I have not watched a whole game when I've had the chance or that I have felt this way. I'm not going anywhere as a fan, but this is beyond sad and the Texans are a joke nationally more so now than ever with Stupiak staying.

2010 Texans = :flush:

2011 Texans = already swirling because of the garbage that will still be here

I'm sure by next season I'll be amped or at least in a better place than I am now, but right now it's just BS.

:mariopalm:

The1ApplePie
01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Have we figured how many draft spots the Texans screwed themselves out of by winning yesterday?:mariopalm:

ubecool454
01-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm just glad the season is over for us. This season reminds me of the goodlooking chick I couldn't wait to take out on a date only to find out she had bad breath and fake boobs.

Double Barrel
01-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm good. I based my expectations on past performance, so the Texans pretty much met my expectations this season.

Well said, and this is where I'm at. I never had high expectations for a Kubiak led team, so I don't have disappointment when the inevitable fail takes place.

I'm ready to watch some real teams play some great football in January. It's why I'm a fan of the sport, and the Texans are just a sad sideshow at the end of the day.

Besides, it's just entertainment. Nothing more and nothing less for me. My joy in life comes from tangible things, not some perpetually shitty football franchise. Bob can take my money (not anymore), but he certainly can't take my joy in life. :)