PDA

View Full Version : If we are going to get Wade as DC...

RagingBull
12-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Why in the He77 did it not happen about 8 weeks ago when it could have actually made a difference?

Thorn
12-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Because nobody the He77 knew we'd be this bad at that time.

BetaV1
12-31-2010, 09:31 PM

Basically this. A complete change in defensive philosophy cannot be done overnight either. Even if Wade came in shortly after his Dallas release, he wouldn't have been able to make any noteworthy improvement.

CloakNNNdagger
12-31-2010, 09:39 PM

Granted, but we certainly had a He77 of a hint.:rake:

Thorn
12-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Granted, but we certainly had a He77 of a hint.:rake:

Yep. The leagues worst defense was already showing it's face. But when we were 4-2, I don't think anyone would have guessed it would have fallen apart the way it did. But, whatever. Predicting the NFL is like predicting the weather, good frigging luck with that.

4Texans
01-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Why in the He77 did it not happen about 8 weeks ago when it could have actually made a difference?

Because "we were on the right track", remember?:gamer:

sakebomb
01-01-2011, 10:55 AM

I think most of the fans knew we were this bad. Unfortunately our coaches are dumb asses.

DocBar
01-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I think that would've been a bad idea, even in hindsight. I'm not a big fan of coaching changes in the middle of the season. Besides, we started off crappy last season and ended up with a defense that most of us liked at the end of the year. Better to make an official change after the season is officially over.
It would be great if we could get Phillips in NOW so he can start evaluating talent, but not have him anywhere near the sidelines or meetings. 8 weeks ago that would've been cool. Or 7. Or 6. You get the point.

4Texans
01-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree with Doc. Besides, if all the talk is true, then Wade has probably spent the last week or so watching film of the Texans and has already started to evaluate talent to prepare for next season. I have a feeling that Wade will have Total Control of the Defense and have the final say on talent and scheme. McNair doesn't really have a choice if he wants to look good in this mess, and there is no where to go but "Up" with the D. The whole organization has shown that they have no clue when it coms to the D side of the ball.

Lucky
01-01-2011, 11:16 AM
OK, so Frank Bush is the fall guy. He'll take all of the blame so Coach Teflon can keep his job and Bottom Line Bob won't have to breakout his checkbook for Cowher. I get it.

But, why rush to hire Bum's son as DC? He has limited experience with the 4-3. With the impending lockout, there will be little time to switch to the 3-4 he's more accustomed to. Not to mention, Ricky the Boy Genius will have little time to secure the personnel needed for a 3-4 conversion.

Why not wait and interview other potential DCs on the market? John Fox has just been let go. Marvin Lewis may not be retained by the Bengals. If Coughlin loses his job in New York, Perry Fewell could be on the market. All of these guys have run successful 4-3 defenses.

Wait...none of these guys are Friends of Kubiak. There's no chance that they will even get a courtesy call, much less an interview. Only FOBs need apply. SOS.

Hey Coach Teflon, if you want to give a semblance of an actual coaching search, I know of another FOB that's available. Richard Smith will no longer be the linebacker coach for the Carolina Panthers after today.

houstonhurricane
01-01-2011, 11:23 AM
OK, so Frank Bush is the fall guy. He'll take all of the blame so Coach Teflon can keep his job and Bottom Line Bob won't have to breakout his checkbook for Cowher. I get it.

But, why rush to hire Bum's son as DC? He has limited experience with the 4-3. With the impending lockout, there will be little time to switch to the 3-4 he's more accustomed to. Not to mention, Ricky the Boy Genius will have little time to secure the personnel needed for a 3-4 conversion.

Why not wait and interview other potential DCs on the market? John Fox has just been let go. Marvin Lewis may not be retained by the Bengals. If Coughlin loses his job in New York, Perry Fewell could be on the market. All of these guys have run successful 4-3 defenses.

Wait...none of these guys are Friends of Kubiak. There's no chance that they will even get a courtesy call, much less an interview. Only FOBs need apply. SOS.

Hey Coach Teflon, if you want to give a semblance of an actual coaching search, I know of another FOB that's available. Richard Smith will no longer be the linebacker coach for the Carolina Panthers after today.

Yep, none of those alternative (and better fit) names you mentioned have Denver on their resumes either...

thunderkyss
01-01-2011, 11:42 AM

When in the hell have you ever seen a coach hired mid-season?

Mr. White
01-01-2011, 12:17 PM

I think it may not take all that long to make the conversion. Especially with a defense this bad.

Capers took a mediocre 4-3 to a really good 3-4 without hardy missing a beat in GB. I think Wade could get similar results.

At least that's what I'm telling myself. I'm trying to see a half full glass nowadays.

Lucky
01-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Capers took a mediocre 4-3 to a really good 3-4 without hardy missing a beat in GB. I think Wade could get similar results.
It's possible. SonofaBum may be the best man willing to take the job. My point is that the Texans aren't even going to try to go outside their inbred circle. Again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

4Texans
01-01-2011, 12:44 PM
On 610 they were saying that each team that Wade went in as DC, the team ended up going to the playoffs that first year after not going the year before without him. What teams had to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4? Anyone know?

Texan4Ever
01-01-2011, 12:50 PM
On 610 they were saying that each team that Wade went in as DC, the team ended up going to the playoffs that first year after not going the year before without him. What teams had to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4? Anyone know?

Totall guess but maybe the Falcons, Chargers, and Cowboys. I know the Falcons switched back to a 4-3 a few years ago after I think they tried the 3-4, I dunno for sure.

DocBar
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Please keep in mind that Phillips has done OK with hybrid type D's before. Good, bad or indifferent, it SHOULD be interesting. On a somewhat positive note, at least McNair is making a gesture of an attempt at placating the fan base by hiring the son of the most beloved coach in Houston history. I'm not saying...I'm just saying....

76Texan
01-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Totall guess but maybe the Falcons, Chargers, and Cowboys. I know the Falcons switched back to a 4-3 a few years ago after I think they tried the 3-4, I dunno for sure.

Broncos, Bills, Falcons, Cowboys... they all ran a 3-4 when Phillips was there.

76Texan
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Please keep in mind that Phillips has done OK with hybrid type D's before. Good, bad or indifferent, it SHOULD be interesting. On a somewhat positive note, at least McNair is making a gesture of an attempt at placating the fan base by hiring the son of the most beloved coach in Houston history. I'm not saying...I'm just saying....

I've said before many times, I'd rather have Kubiak as an OC and somebody with Defensive credential as a HC.
I would love to have Cowher, but I think Wade Phillips is a good hire if they decide to give Kubiak another chance.
Kubiak has not impressed me so far but it's good to have continuity on the offense.

ArlingtonTexan
01-01-2011, 01:20 PM
It's possible. SonofaBum may be the best man willing to take the job. My point is that the Texans aren't even going to try to go outside their inbred circle. Again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I have no idea why McNair refuses to see that he nor Kubiak have a wide enough net on football friends.

Lucky
01-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I have no idea why McNair refuses to see that he nor Kubiak have a wide enough net on football friends.
It's similar to a siege mentality, where these guys feel threatened by anyone outside their small circle. The more they are criticized, the further they retreat into their bunker on Kirby. It's laughable, if I weren't so entangled as a fan of this team.

Lucky
01-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Broncos, Bills, Falcons, Cowboys... they all ran a 3-4 when Phillips was there.
The Falcons finished 23th and 29th in defense during SonofaBum's 2 seasons in Atlanta. He didn't have the personnel to convert a 4-3 to a 3-4, but tried anyway.

Give Phillips the horses, and he can run a solid defense. That's proven. How long will it take to get the horses in Houston? More excuses for Coach Teflon.

Mr. White
01-01-2011, 01:37 PM
It's similar to a siege mentality, where these guys feel threatened by anyone outside their small circle. The more they are criticized, the further they retreat into their bunker on Kirby.

Rep for the analogy. It's like having our our own Hussein family in Houston.

Ole Miss Texan
01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
The Falcons finished 23th and 29th in defense during SonofaBum's 2 seasons in Atlanta. He didn't have the personnel to convert a 4-3 to a 3-4, but tried anyway.

Give Phillips the horses, and he can run a solid defense. That's proven. How long will it take to get the horses in Houston? More excuses for Coach Teflon.

Wade was in Atlanta for the 2002 and 2003 seasons.

2001 (year prior to Wade joining) ATL's defense was ranked 30th in ypg and 24th in ppg.

2002 (Wade's first year as DC) ATL's defense was ranked 19th in ypg and 8th in ppg.

2003 (Wade's 2nd year as DC) ATL's defense was ranked 30th in ypg and 32nd in ppg.

During the 2003 preseason was when Mike Vick broke his leg and missed the first 11 games of the season. Dan Reeves was also released after a 3-13 record and Phillips took over as HC for the remaining 3 games going 2-1.

76Texan
01-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Wade was in Atlanta for the 2002 and 2003 seasons.

2001 (year prior to Wade joining) ATL's defense was ranked 30th in ypg and 24th in ppg.

2002 (Wade's first year as DC) ATL's defense was ranked 19th in ypg and 8th in ppg.

2003 (Wade's 2nd year as DC) ATL's defense was ranked 30th in ypg and 32nd in ppg.

During the 2003 preseason was when Mike Vick broke his leg and missed the first 11 games of the season. Dan Reeves was also released after a 3-13 record and Phillips took over as HC for the remaining 3 games going 2-1.Between 1999 and 2003, the Falcons spent their draft picks mostly on offense (including trading away a third rounder to get into position to draft Vick).
The only draft picks on defense in the first 4 rounds included:
- DE Patrick Kerney, 1st rd, 1999
- OLB Matt Stewart, 4th rd, 2001
- SS Bryan Scott, 2nd rd #55 overall, 2003 (started as a rookie)

In 03, some defensive players were aging and missed some games.
The Falcons also faced injury problems in the secondary.
The only other starter of notes was ILB Keith Brooking (a 1st rounder from 1998).

The improvement from 01 to 02 was remarkable, considering the change in scheme to the 3-4.

Mixgosu
01-01-2011, 09:35 PM

bingo!

txwoodchuck
01-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Predicting the NFL is easier than you think. NE, Indy, NYG, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Philadelphia,,, WILL make the playoffs.... The Texans won't..

Roadtrip635
01-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Conversion to a 34 defense will take some time to get the right players. Dom Capers did it fairly quickly with GB but he also had an experienced secondary to help that transition (Woodson DPOY, Harris, etc.), they did lose one of their best pass rushers Kampman. Before he was injured he could not make the transition to the 34 and would have been traded cut because of that, even without the injury.

Can/will Mario Williams want to make that transition? Look at Redskins and Bills this season, both trying to switch to a 34. Wade is a pretty good DC but he needs the pieces to make it work. I'm just saying don't expect miracles.

GP
01-02-2011, 03:49 AM

FOBs and FOKers.

If Wade comes here, it's 100% non-speculation anymore. It becomes 100% fact that McNair thinks he can create his own inbred, self-made empire with a coaching tree that looks more and more like a miniature bonzai tree than a mighty oak.

You, DB, and Carr_Bombed are my oasis in this desert.