PDA

View Full Version : John Fox won't return to Panthers

Heath Shuler
12-31-2010, 05:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5975190&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5975190

The Carolina Panthers announced Friday that coach John Fox will not return next season.

The team also said the contracts of Fox's assistant coaches will not be renewed.

I guess nobody told them there might be a lockout.

Hoss
12-31-2010, 05:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5975190&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5975190

I guess nobody told them there might be a lockout.

NOW THERES A DCORD I WOULDN'T MIND HAVING...BUT NOOOOO:wadepalm:

Old School
01-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I bet they are not afraid of going after Cowher.

Dutchrudder
01-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I bet they are not afraid of going after Cowher.

I bet they get Cowher, unless the Giant's HC job opens up. Cowher wants to coach, and I think he will take whatever HC job he can get, regardless of the situation. I'm sure he would prefer NYG or Houston over Carolina, but there are only 32 HC jobs in the world, so he might as well take one of them.

Revolution
01-01-2011, 08:42 PM
I bet they get Cowher, unless the Giant's HC job opens up. Cowher wants to coach, and I think he will take whatever HC job he can get, regardless of the situation. I'm sure he would prefer NYG or Houston over Carolina, but there are only 32 HC jobs in the world, so he might as well take one of them.

No way he takes a job just to get a job. He's already turned down opportunities in the past.

JB
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Carolina's established qb is who again?

Dutchrudder
01-01-2011, 08:57 PM
No way he takes a job just to get a job. He's already turned down opportunities in the past.

I'm only aware of the Bills offer from last year. Rumor was he wanted to take that job, but they couldn't get the contracts worked out. If he really was in serious talks with the Bills last year, I don't think the Panthers would be any worse.

Carolina's established qb is who again?

Well, with the #1 pick, it's going to be whoever they want to draft, which is probably going to be Andrew Luck. I hope they do get him, because I sure don't want to see him in the AFC.

JB
01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm only aware of the Bills offer from last year. Rumor was he wanted to take that job, but they couldn't get the contracts worked out. If he really was in serious talks with the Bills last year, I don't think the Panthers would be any worse.

Well, with the #1 pick, it's going to be whoever they want to draft, which is probably going to be Andrew Luck. I hope they do get him, because I sure don't want to see him in the AFC.

Possible if Luck declares, which he probably will. But I don't know if Cowher wants to tie his future to a rookie, no matter how good. Depends on who he thinks he can get for his offensive staff.

It's all speculation anyway. There are going to be a lot of openings, he can pretty much pick where he wants to go. And he does like his job now if no teams meet his terms.

Dutchrudder
01-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Possible if Luck declares, which he probably will. But I don't know if Cowher wants to tie his future to a rookie, no matter how good. Depends on who he thinks he can get for his offensive staff.

It's all speculation anyway. There are going to be a lot of openings, he can pretty much pick where he wants to go. And he does like his job now if no teams meet his terms.

I think Carolina would be a good fit for him though. They have a stable of runningbacks, which he has always used during his time with the Steelers. They would likely give him full control to hire whoever he needed to fill out the staff. They will have the top pick in each round of the draft (except 2nd and 7th - traded away), plus a likely 3rd round compensatory pick for Julius Peppers leaving. If he didn't want to go with Andrew Luck, I think it would be somewhat easy to trade away that pick (essentially Luck) and grab some more picks to help fill out the roster. I'm sure he would be able to lure some good free agents as well, which would help that team immensely.

It really doesn't sound as terrible as the 2-13 record indicates.

JB
01-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I think Carolina would be a good fit for him though. They have a stable of runningbacks, which he has always used during his time with the Steelers. They would likely give him full control to hire whoever he needed to fill out the staff. They will have the top pick in each round of the draft (except 2nd and 7th - traded away), plus a likely 3rd round compensatory pick for Julius Peppers leaving. If he didn't want to go with Andrew Luck, I think it would be somewhat easy to trade away that pick (essentially Luck) and grab some more picks to help fill out the roster. I'm sure he would be able to lure some good free agents as well, which would help that team immensely.

It really doesn't sound as terrible as the 2-13 record indicates.

Except that their top 2 backs have had injury concern. And DW is due a new contract IIRC. And so is SS. Their team is not good. If they don't take Luck, they have to rely on Claussen. They need a lot of help on offense, and I don't know that Cowher will want to take that on.

Ole Miss Texan
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Looks like Jim Harbaugh will be coaching Andrew Luck... In Carolina!