PDA

View Full Version : Drastic Changes?

TexanAggie89
12-31-2010, 03:54 AM
Ok ok, i get it, McNair said there was going to be DRASTIC changes on the defense this year. He IS keeping Kubiak...ok. He's hiring a pretty damn good DC (hopefully) but what about personell?

Does anyone else think that maybe he decided to FINALLY open up the check book and use some of that money on some big time FA's? I think this might be one of the "changes" that he was talking about.

Hopefully there will be no more building through the draft :kubepalm: Thank GOD!

We need to trade our top pick...to OAKLAND!! They are on the cusp of being good again, and they dont have a first round pick. Who was out on their win steak? Nnamdi Asomugha!! I think we should trade our pick to the Raiders for him..and sign him to a long term deal. This move on top of a nice DC would seriously keep me sane through the next few months. What do ya'll think?

El Tejano
12-31-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm wondering if there are any former Charger defensive players that would love to come to Houston, should Wade Phillips be our DC.

I'm not too sure about Bob opening up the checkbook on players. You have to assume that much of his reason for not hiring a new coach was because of the no guarantee to a 2011 season. So I'm thinking no on players for the same reason.

Htownsportsfan
12-31-2010, 09:58 AM
If this hiring had taken place last year I would have actually been happy about it. However, after the hiring of two DCs with no experience it seems a little late to go out and hire an experienced DC with a good track record. In my opinion its just to late to take the gamble on a new experienced DC taking this team to the next level.

I also agree with the premise that just because you hire Wade who is a good DC doesn't mean we can turn it around quickly. I have very little faith n Rick Smith supplying Wade with the players for the positions he determines are the highest priority. I actually think our personnel decisions are a huge part of the problem with this team.

Considering we have never made the playoffs I hate to make this statement but I believe if Wade or a DC of his experience level was our DC this year we would be a playoff team. However, I dont think it would be a good enough staff to win a superbowl. A more experienced DC who has been through the rigors of the NFL could have made adjustments in scheme or personnel and done just enough to squeeze out a few more wins. When you look at some of the games like Philly that we were in until the very end, the Texas played most of the game bringing pressure and it was getting to Vick but at the end at the most crucial time they pulled back into conservative mode and it cost them the game.

Inexperienced players + Inexperienced HC + Inexperienced DC + Inexperienced GM+ Inexperienced Owner = futility!

steelbtexan
12-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Personel is one of the major problems.

I wouldn't count on Uncle BoB opening up his checkbook for ASO or in FA.

He hasn't paid for the top of the line FA's in the past and I dont think that's going to change. However keeping the status quo is starting to make the fans wake up.

Bob McNair is saying to the fans. This is my team and I'm going to do what I want with it. screw the what the fans want. He can get away with this at this point and time. For how much longer who knows. I do know that some day soon the fans are going to turn on McNair like they did with Adams.

Yesterday
12-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Draft will be key. I'm hoping that we get either Prince Amukamara or Patrick Peterson. Nick Fairley wouldn't be bad if they think he can be the NT in a 3-4, which is crucial in that scheme.

Amobi Okoye has got to go. He has no place in a 3-4 (hell, I think he sucks in a 4-3). Whenever the Texans need a big play, forced fumble, or sack, Abomi Okoye is the last person anyone thinks will get one. He is terrible, get rid of him.

It's great to know that Bob pulled out the checkbook on Antonio Smith, one of the most overpaid players in the league. But, I do think Smith may have a place in the 3-4.

Pollard can stay so long as he is blitzed a much higher % of the time.

Cushing, DeMeco, and Mario are obv going to stay and continue to carry this defense.

If we draft a Peterson or Prince, I think Glover Quin can be a good 2nd CB.

Kareem Jackson hopefully will be demoted to waterboy and/or practice squad.

Jrod7451
12-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Are you kidding me? Trade our top ten draft pick for a corner who will be 30 years old next season. Are you out of you mind! I say we trade up higher into the draft and pick up either that corner from Nebraska or LSU. This draft has some big name corners coming out. Don't expect these corners to take as long to develope because Kareem Jackson wishes he was as good as them. Jackson was supposed to be taken late 1st or second round so these corners are of much better stock and quality. Maybe you should think more about ideas before you decide to make a forum about your bad idea. You just fell in love with a trade rumor and decided to hold onto it. It's not going to happen nor should it.

steelbtexan
12-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Draft will be key. I'm hoping that we get either Prince Amukamara or Patrick Peterson. Nick Fairley wouldn't be bad if they think he can be the NT in a 3-4, which is crucial in that scheme.

Amobi Okoye has got to go. He has no place in a 3-4 (hell, I think he sucks in a 4-3). Whenever the Texans need a big play, forced fumble, or sack, Abomi Okoye is the last person anyone thinks will get one. He is terrible, get rid of him.

It's great to know that Bob pulled out the checkbook on Antonio Smith, one of the most overpaid players in the league. But, I do think Smith may have a place in the 3-4.

Pollard can stay so long as he is blitzed a much higher % of the time.

Cushing, DeMeco, and Mario are obv going to stay and continue to carry this defense.

If we draft a Peterson or Prince, I think Glover Quin can be a good 2nd CB.

Kareem Jackson hopefully will be demoted to waterboy and/or practice squad.

With the Texans draft history (Cushing 1 star player in 4 yrs) do you really believe they will draft well? I would just be happy to see Kubial postpone whatever surgery that he will have this offseason until after the Combine.

The fact that he had sleep apnea surgery scheduled the week of the combine spoke volumes about upper management of the Texans and where this franchise is headed. 5-11

Peldon
12-31-2010, 10:41 AM
The problem is, unless a new CBA is reached quickly, there will be no FA or trades. There will still be a draft but during the draft no trades involving players will be allowed. Trades involving only picks are still allowed.

If this is the case and a new CBA isn't reached until late in the year, there will be no new players other than the rookies we draft. We won't even be able to sign them until after the agreement.

MFG16
12-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Looks like you read my post in the Breaking News thread. You could have atleast giving me some rep lol.

Yesterday
12-31-2010, 11:10 AM
With the Texans draft history (Cushing 1 star player in 4 yrs) do you really believe they will draft well? I would just be happy to see Kubial postpone whatever surgery that he will have this offseason until after the Combine.

The fact that he had sleep apnea surgery scheduled the week of the combine spoke volumes about upper management of the Texans and where this franchise is headed. 5-11

I think if Peterson or Prince are on the board when we pick, even Kubes/Smith can't mess that one up