PDA

View Full Version : McNair Will Keep Kubiak....Announcement forthcoming

Pages : 1 [2]

Big Lou
01-01-2011, 11:30 PM
At least we are prepared for next year!!!! We already have Gary and Wade Palms!!!!!!

I think this year went so wrong because we don't have a Frank Bush Palm.

Here what 2011 may look like::kubepalm: :wadepalm::kubepalm::wadepalm::kubepalm::wadepalm:

GP
01-02-2011, 12:47 AM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee131/Elizabeth_Black/SmashingHeadOnKeyboard.gif

Yeah, that is my all-time favorite animated GIF.

That is how I feel right now.

I don't have the inner strength to really post anything adequate right now.

It feels like I am in a daydream or something. If Kubiak remains, well...(sigh)

PHAROAH
01-02-2011, 01:10 AM
THis is complete Bu****** with mcnair bringing back kubiak all I can say is that as long as the texans are profitable mcnair doesn't care about winning.

GP
01-02-2011, 02:22 AM
THis is complete Bu****** with mcnair bringing back kubiak all I can say is that as long as the texans are profitable mcnair doesn't care about winning.

But we're different than other NFL teams. Our owner is a gentleman. He believes in people. He doesn't make rash, over-reactive decisions.

Some day, when we make the playoffs, you'll see. You'll be glad you waited. You will be there when hell itself freezes over, and can say you saw it all happen within your lifetime.

If you are old, I would suggest you have yourself frozen so they can thaw you out 30 years from now when we finally end up making the big time. Just don't do it at the same place where Ted Williams was held...they took baseball bats to his head and stuff. Take me out to the ballgame, bash my head with a bat, throw fastballs at my cranium, I don't care if I look like Matt.

CloakNNNdagger
01-02-2011, 08:04 AM
But we're different than other NFL teams. Our owner is a gentleman. He believes in people. He doesn't make rash, over-reactive decisions.

Some day, when we make the playoffs, you'll see. You'll be glad you waited. You will be there when hell itself freezes over, and can say you saw it all happen within your lifetime.

If you are old, I would suggest you have yourself frozen so they can thaw you out 30 years from now when we finally end up making the big time. Just don't do it at the same place where Ted Williams was held...they took baseball bats to his head and stuff. Take me out to the ballgame, bash my head with a bat, throw fastballs at my cranium, I don't care if I look like Matt.

Haven't thought about this :kubepalm:incident for quite awhile. For those who don't know the incident that you are referring to, I digress:

Ted Williams' Severed Head Abused In Cryonics Facility: Former Exec
BOB BAUM | 10/ 2/09 09:18 PM | [HUFFINGTON POST]

Larry Johnson says in the book "Frozen: My Journey Into the World of Cryonics, Deception and Death" that he watched an Alcor official swing a monkey wrench at Williams' frozen severed head to try to remove a tuna can stuck to it. The first swing accidentally struck the head, Johnson contends, and the second knocked the tuna can loose.

Alcor Life Extension Foundation of Scottsdale, Ariz., issued a statement on its Web site denying the allegations and promising legal action.

"Alcor denies allegations reported in the press that there was mistreatment of the remains of Ted Williams at Alcor," the company said. "Alcor will be litigating this and any other false allegations to the maximum extent of the law."

Johnson says he worked for Alcor for eight months in 2003, first as clinical director then as chief operating officer. He included several photographs in the book, including one of an upside down severed head, not Williams', that had what appeared to be a tuna can attached to it.

Johnson says Alcor used the cans, from a cat that lived on the premises, as pedestals for the heads.

Williams' head was being transferred from one container to another when the monkey wrench incident took place, Johnson said in the book. When the head was removed from the first container, Johnson described it.

"The disembodied face set in that awful, frozen scream looked nothing like any picture of Ted Williams I've ever seen," he wrote.

Johnson said that an Alcor employee tried in vain to remove the tuna can.

"Then he grabbed a monkey wrench, heaved a mighty swing, missing the tuna can completely but hitting the head dead center,' Johnson wrote. "Tiny pieces of frozen head sprayed around the room."

The next swing, Johnson wrote, knocked the can loose.

Johnson also contends that there was a significant crack in Williams' head. He also repeated an allegation he had made earlier that samples of Williams' DNA are missing from the facility.

Johnson, who says he wired himself surreptitiously the last few months of his employment, was the source for a story in Sports Illustrated in August, 2003, that said Williams' head had been severed and damaged.

At that time, Alcor officials said there never was mistreatment of any of those frozen at the facility. The company said that severing heads is a common practice in its preservation, and that cracking has been noted as a problem in the procedure and is not the result of any mishandling.

Ted Williams died in July 2002. At the direction of his son, John Henry Williams, the baseball player's remains were flown from Florida to Arizona.

Johnson had not yet gone to work for Alcor, but he recreated the scene based, he said, on "conversations with the Alcorians who were in the room and performed the procedures, the files I have read, and the discussions I've had with other people involved, including members of Ted's family."

Johnson paints a macabre scene in a room packed with people, many of whom posed for pictures with Williams' body, both before and after the head was cut off. The book contends the head was "hanging by a thread" when an official entered the room and shouted that it was supposed to be a full-body freezing.

Williams' head and body were frozen separately, Johnson wrote.

The process, known as cryonics, is conducted with the hope that someday scientists will be able to bring the subjects back to life. The heads and bodies, along with those of cats, dogs and other pets, are stored in stainless steel containers at extremely cold temperatures.

John Henry Williams died of leukemia at age 35 in 2004 after a bitter court fight against Williams' daughter, Bobby-Jo, who contended the wishes expressed in her father's will should have been followed. In the will, Ted Williams said he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes scattered at sea. She eventually abandoned the legal battle, citing lack of funds.

Johnson says in his book that he believes the small piece of paper used as evidence that Williams wanted to be frozen was fraudulent. The paper is signed by Ted Williams, John Henry and Williams' other daughter, Claudia.

As things stand, some fans may be tempted to have a pregame nine inning wrench "batting" practice on more than one of the heads (frozen or nonfrozen) of the present dysfunctional regime from the top down.

HoustonFrog
01-02-2011, 08:24 AM
The minute this announcement is made I'm out. I've enjoyed it here but I will never be able to "come around" with the way McNair does things. It is tough enough being fully invested for a lifetime in a team who has a crazy owner. I can't sit and watch another just make stupid decision after stupid decision.

I really hope people have the balls to make their voices known today.

HTown2ATX
01-02-2011, 08:31 AM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee131/Elizabeth_Black/SmashingHeadOnKeyboard.gif

Brutal!!!

\m/

:jam:

Porky
01-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Mcnair doesn't care as long as the greenbacks are flowing in. I've been saying it for a yr or two now that he is one of the worst owners in the NFL, but it's taken this long for the truth to be revealed to all but the most loyal who only see things thru steel blue glasses. PT Barnum should be running this team because I see a lot of suckers out there still ponying up for this garbage. :kubepalm:

steelbtexan
01-02-2011, 08:51 AM
The minute this announcement is made I'm out. I've enjoyed it here but I will never be able to "come around" with the way McNair does things. It is tough enough being fully invested for a lifetime in a team who has a crazy owner. I can't sit and watch another just make stupid decision after stupid decision.

I really hope people have the balls to make their voices known today.

Come back to the MB and visit.

I'll miss you.

steelbtexan
01-02-2011, 08:57 AM
If that happens, I will have no problem mentioning I was wrong. Next years schedule is going to be just as tough, AFC North, NFC South.

We ain't winning 12 games with Gary Kubiak as head coach.

TK,

True to your word, you waited saw how the season played out and got off the Kubiak bandwagon.

It's gonna be 2 long yrs watching the team play for 2 qtrs every game. Blowing leads like only they can.

Bringing in Wade is quite fitting. This team is Oileresque in many ways. From the owner to the HC etc...

steelbtexan
01-02-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm certain the Texans will "improve" to 8-8 next season. Proving once again that they're "on the right track".

Looking forward to another we're almost a great team 9-7,7-9.

Oh boy, cant wait

Crap

CloakNNNdagger
01-02-2011, 09:25 AM
You know. I started thinking about how McNair could retain Kubiak with all of his warts in 1/2 game planning, clock management and terrible on-the-fly decisions. The only serious way I could think of that he could half-way justify his move and still try to salvage the fan base...............Hire a proven no-nonsense ASSISTANT HC.........and assign him appropriate power.

Lucky
01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
...Hire a proven no-nonsense ASSISTANT HC.........and assign him appropriate power.
Is this the guy?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ddfc28jTSx8/SyGB-maBwNI/AAAAAAAAAog/b5cOyQwTP7I/s320/Wade+Phillips.jpg

Wolf
01-02-2011, 09:30 AM
No cloak said no nonsense .. Wade is a good ole boy

CloakNNNdagger
01-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Is this the guy?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ddfc28jTSx8/SyGB-maBwNI/AAAAAAAAAog/b5cOyQwTP7I/s320/Wade+Phillips.jpg

Please, Lucky.........Don't do this to me!!!!!!
http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,sad-face.jpg

houstonhurricane
01-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Looks like Cleveland may target John Gruden when they fire Mangini tomorrow (www.rotoworld.com).

Glad to see that the CBA issues continue to keep teams from making coaching moves...

Lucky
01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Glad to see that the CBA issues continue to keep teams from making coaching moves...
The Browns are nuts. They should have stuck with the suckitude....er, status quo and kept Mangini.

Cripes, even the Browns are gonna kick our ass next year.

gary
01-02-2011, 09:44 AM
No cloak said no nonsense .. Wade is a good ole boyNever meaning no harm.:mariopalm:

houstonhurricane
01-02-2011, 09:44 AM
The Browns are nuts. They should have stuck with the suckitude....er, status quo and kept Mangini.

Cripes, even the Browns are gonna kick our ass next year.

Don't count out the Panthers either...

Lucky
01-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Never meaning no harm.:mariopalm:
Too funny! We need a photoshop geek, I mean expert, to work on the Dukes of Houston.

steelbtexan
01-02-2011, 09:49 AM
McNair needs to hire Mangini on as BD's coach.

He would be a great fit in this organization.

Ole Miss Texan
01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Looks like Cleveland may target John Gruden when they fire Mangini tomorrow (www.rotoworld.com).

They're sure to win the super bowl next year and every year after! Gruden is the best eveerrrr!!!

djohn2oo8
01-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Despite the fact that the Houston Texans have lost four in a row and eight of their past nine, owner Bob McNair will not make a change at head coach and Gary Kubiak will return for another season, according to league sources.

McNair believes that if Kubiak can make certain changes to his defensive coaching staff, then he will be able to create a winning atmosphere, and no change at head coach would be needed, the sources said.

Houston ranks 29th in total defense (380.6 yards per game) and last against the pass this season (277.1).

One defensive coordinator candidate that will be considered, according to the sources, is former Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips, whom Kubiak worked with in Denver, but the Texans have other options they will consider as well. It also doesn't hurt that Kubiak signed a two-year contract extension after last season and there is potential for a work stoppage in 2011.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981055

So he will return, and there is a possibility they don't even get wade?

gary
01-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Too funny! We need a photoshop geek, I mean expert, to work on the Dukes of Houston.I don't have photoshop or I would. LOL.

houstonhurricane
01-02-2011, 10:08 AM
They're sure to win the super bowl next year and every year after! Gruden is the best eveerrrr!!!

Uh no, but they clearly aren't using the CBA as an excuse not to make a change. I know that must have been lost on you...

DX-TEX
01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981055

So he will return, and there is a possibility they don't even get wade?

Well ****, ****, ****ity **** ****.

steelbtexan
01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
It hurts the fans that Kubiak signed a 2 yr extention and there ia a good chance of a lockout. Otherwise Kubiak would be looking for another job come Monday morning.

Thanks BoB

DX-TEX
01-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Maybe McNair has paid Matt Millen to be his football guru.

cue Detroit Texans gif

Pantherstang84
01-02-2011, 10:32 AM

I know you are trying to be a smart ass, but watch Cleveland have a winning season and at least a shot at the playoffs next year if Gruden goes there.

Then come back and tell me where the Dukes of Houston stand in their division.

Ole Miss Texan
01-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Uh no, but they clearly aren't using the CBA as an excuse not to make a change. I know that must have been lost on you...

Wasn't lost on me at all. Good for them, honestly. I just have zero faith in Gruden turning our franchise into a consistent winner and just as little faith in that happening in Cleveland. 5 more years the Browns won't reach the playoffs. At least he's going to an AFC team,no!?

thunderkyss
01-02-2011, 10:41 AM
TK,

True to your word, you waited saw how the season played out and got off the Kubiak bandwagon.

It's gonna be 2 long yrs watching the team play for 2 qtrs every game. Blowing leads like only they can.

Bringing in Wade is quite fitting. This team is Oileresque in many ways. From the owner to the HC etc...

Correction, I've never been on the Kubiak bandwagon, well, not this year. I challenge anyone to find a post of mine, from this year, where I am in favor of Kubiak. I've been pro Texans, I've been a it'll work out for the Texans sunshiner, but not pro Kubiak.

Now, there are several people on this board, who are upset when the Texans don't draft the hometown kid, and are thrilled when we bring in an Earl Mitchell, or James Casey.

Personally, if they aren't the best player on the board, I think we should pass. Same goes for coaches.

You're going to have Marvin Lewis & John Fox out there,

I just heard that Charlie Wiess is going to Florida to be the OC, what are the odds he'd have taken the same position with an NFL team? Tony Sparano is rumored to be on the block.

There are going to be OCs & DCs for play-off teams looking for "better opportunities".

This off season is not only going to be ripe for HC candidates, but it's going to be ripe for putting together complete coaching staffs.

76Texan
01-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Don't know if this has been posted anywhere:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981055&source=NFLHeadlines

Adam Schefter reported that (league) sources indicated that Kubiak will be rertained.

DX-TEX
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Don't know if this has been posted anywhere:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981055&source=NFLHeadlines

Adam Schefter reported that (league) sources indicated that Kubiak will be rertained.

last page. Its ok though you showed good effort and are on the right track.. ;)

Texecutioner
01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Correction, I've never been on the Kubiak bandwagon, well, not this year. I challenge anyone to find a post of mine, from this year, where I am in favor of Kubiak. I've been pro Texans, I've been a it'll work out for the Texans sunshiner, but not pro Kubiak.

Who are you kidding here? Honestly? Do you think that this entire forum doesn't have the ability to read or have any comprehension, or any kind of memory? If there has been anyone that's been "pro Kubiak" I'd probably crown you as the king of being that. Don't try and sit here and deny to try and make yourself seem smarter. You're sworn by Kubiak as if he's some sort of god or something.

thunderkyss
01-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Mangina is at least on the second year of his contract, they'd be on the hook for 50% or less of his contract.

If fired, McNair will still be paying Kubiak for two more years.

Wade Phillips & several other coaches who will get the axe are on their last year, or will be going onto the last year of their contract.

infantrycak
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I just heard that Charlie Wiess is going to Florida to be the OC, what are the odds he'd have taken the same position with an NFL team?

He had the same position with an NFL team and by rule could not move to another NFL team for the same position. Makes you wonder if everything is so copacetic up in KC land that he is taking a lateral move to a lessor league.

76Texan
01-02-2011, 10:50 AM
last page. Its ok though you showed good effort and are on the right track.. ;)

I feel like the Texans!
A little late and a dollar short. :kubepalm:

houstonhurricane
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Mangina is at least on the second year of his contract, they'd be on the hook for 50% or less of his contract.

If fired, McNair will still be paying Kubiak for two more years.

Wade Phillips & several other coaches who will get the axe are on their last year, or will be going onto the last year of their contract.

So it is my fault as a fan that I have to suffer through mediocrity because the franchise jumped the gun and extended a guy that is currently in the midst of losing 8 out 9? No, not a good enough reason for keeping this experiment up and running...

thunderkyss
01-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Who are you kidding here? Honestly? Do you think that this entire forum doesn't have the ability to read or have any comprehension, or any kind of memory? If there has been anyone that's been "pro Kubiak" I'd probably crown you as the king of being that. Don't try and sit here and deny to try and make yourself seem smarter. You're sworn by Kubiak as if he's some sort of god or something.

Bull.

Accusing me of trying to look smarter???? With my post history....

Whatever.

Texecutioner
01-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Bull.

Accusing me of trying to look smarter???? With my post history....

Whatever.

There is nothing for you to deny here. You tell people to pull posts. Hell that's like 90% of your posts on this board. You saying that you haven't been pro Kubiak is as much of a fraudulent statement as anything I've ever heard. Why would anyone even waste their time with you at this point by doing that? You simply acted like you bailed on the Kubiak wagon when it was imminent that he had another season of failure, and even then you still made excuses for the guy. He's still your guy and you know it. But to say that you haven't been pro Kubiak is one of the funniest things that's been written by you and not the fact that you said it, but the fact that you actually think that any regular in here wouldn't no how false that statement was.

wagonhed
01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Been a few days since this news came out and it still ****ing stinks. Goddammit.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2011, 12:31 PM
On ClutchFans, they are saying Wade Phillips' sister called into SR610 about thirty minutes ago and said if offered the DC job, Wade actually won't accept.

Not sure if it's true or not that she actually called, but take it FWIW.

BetaV1
01-02-2011, 12:43 PM
On ClutchFans, they are saying Wade Phillips' sister called into SR610 about thirty minutes ago and said if offered the DC job, Wade actually won't accept.

If true, very interesting...

thunderkyss
01-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Not only that, but remember Shanahan was fired from Denver, because he wouldn't fire his DC. Kubiak could do the same thing.

houstonspartan
01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
There is nothing for you to deny here. You tell people to pull posts. Hell that's like 90% of your posts on this board. You saying that you haven't been pro Kubiak is as much of a fraudulent statement as anything I've ever heard. Why would anyone even waste their time with you at this point by doing that? You simply acted like you bailed on the Kubiak wagon when it was imminent that he had another season of failure, and even then you still made excuses for the guy. He's still your guy and you know it. But to say that you haven't been pro Kubiak is one of the funniest things that's been written by you and not the fact that you said it, but the fact that you actually think that any regular in here wouldn't no how false that statement was.

Tex,

You beat me to it. When TK said he has never been a Kubiak supporter, I literally laughed out loud. As you said, he assumes no one can read.

ziggy29
01-02-2011, 01:08 PM
The sad thing is, even the Lions -- the LIONS!!! -- have seen the need to clean house, can a loser GM and coaching staff, and start building a competitive team. The Lions are already ahead of the Texans in terms of learning how to develop a winning culture despite being only 5-10 like the Texans. And I think the Lions will sniff the playoffs before a Gary Kubiak-led Texans team.

IMO, McNair just extended the middle finger to Texans fans.

TheMatrix31
01-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Jesus.

devo-x
01-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Texans likely won't attract any promising OC/DC candidates if Kubiak kept

Enjoy mediocrity:kubepalm:

Hookem Horns
01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Too funny! We need a photoshop geek, I mean expert, to work on the Dukes of Houston.

That's already been done. I saw it on the official board. Bob was Boss Hog and Kubiak was Roscoe.

GuerillaBlack
01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Texans likely won't attract any promising OC/DC candidates if Kubiak kept

Enjoy mediocrity:kubepalm:

Yep. Apparently Wade thinks there is a better situation for him besides Houston. How long will it take for McNair to understand that keeping Kubiak hinders your chance of attracting a competent coach? And we can kiss any primetime games next year goodbye if Kubiak is the coach. We might have one Thursday Night Game against the Jags or something. You think Wade would be "allegedly" thinking those things if the Texans had a real HC like Cowher?

Kubiak needs to go. :kubepalm:

ThaShark316
01-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't always have a winning record, but when I do; I prefer 9-7.

Stay mediocre, my friends.:kubepalm:

J_R
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Wade's sister from earlier. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZLCM45fX0&feature=player_embedded) (Warning: Barry Warner is on air here)

TheMatrix31
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM
i don't always have a winning record, but when i do; i prefer 9-7.

lmfao.

djohn2oo8
01-02-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't always have a winning record, but when I do; I prefer 9-7.

repped :bravo:

midway
01-02-2011, 01:28 PM
This shit sucks. I don't even know what else to say.

:kubepalm:

thunderkyss
01-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Tex,

You beat me to it. When TK said he has never been a Kubiak supporter, I literally laughed out loud. As you said, he assumes no one can read.

Whoa, if I said I was never a Kubiak supporter, I mis spoke. I've supported him in as much as he is the Texans head coach. The extension thing bothered me as much as anyone else, but I held my tongue. I felt it shouldn't be a detterrent to McNair doing what needs to be done if we didn't accomplish the goals we set out at the beginning of the season.

No excuses, I've said that from the beginning of the season.

People were talking about firing Kubiak when we were 4-2. I've said that didn't make sense. Even though the defense looked as bad as it did.

Last year, I blamed the players for losing those close games.

This year I've been pointing out our offensive problems since game one. In my mind, if you're going to blame the defense all year long, it's hard to say a move like what we are hearing about doesn't make sense. If you acknowledge there have been problems on both sides of the ball, from game 1, there is only one conclusion that makes sense.

& that's where vie been all season.

People want to make up crap about Kubiak to get him fired. The players quit on him, that's bull.

He makes stupid in game decisions... No more than any other head coach.

I might argue against the stupid stuff, but I don't believe we should have to make things up to support a coaching change.

Bottom line, this team is not as good as it should be. We finished 9-7 last year, just like the Jets, the Ravens, the Steelers. They are playing for play-off position today, we're playing for draft position.

The Jags, in our division, are playing to get into the play-offs today after finishing 7-9 last year.

Thorn
01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Bottom line, this team is not as good as it should be. We finished 9-7 last year, just like the Jets, the Ravens, the Steelers. They are playing for play-off position today, we're playing for draft position.

The Jags, in our division, are playing to get into the play-offs today after finishing 7-9 last year.

And that pretty much says it all.

Kubiak needs to go, but at this point I'd be very suprised if that happens. There's nothing we can do now except wait for tomorrow and see what the Moo Cow Head Guy tracks in on his shoes from the Pasture Of Losers.

GP
01-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I went out on a limb and said "This team won't get to the next level with Kubiak."

Thunderkyss says he roots for Kubiak to succeed. That's your own words. You said you pulled for him, just as you also said over in the NFL forum that you similarly root for Singletary because you think he can be a good coach too.

I say, in order for you to root for Kubiak...you have to believe that he has it in him to get it done. I don't have to root for Kubiak because I know that he INHERENTLY will not get it done.

All I have to do is sit back and laugh at the mess he's created. Did a good job of stopping the bleeding caused by Capers era, but can't get past being a good o-coord. That's his role, not head coaching.

I think too many people vote with their heart. The heart is fickle. It can betray the other senses.

TK, you stuck with the guy too long. Was your own choice to do so. I bailed on David Carr in his last season here, so that doesn't mean I can claim I didn't support him. You stick with people, as a fan, because you want them to succeed and you think they can and you want to be proven correct.

You're a year late to the party, I'm afraid.

TheMatrix31
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Rest of your post aside, I disagree about having to believe in the guy to root for him to succeed.

I didn't believe in Capers at all but I still rooted for him to succeed.

GP
01-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Rest of your post aside, I disagree about having to believe in the guy to root for him to succeed.

Once you become aware that the guy is garbage, you have zero obligation to root for the guy.

You only end up wondering why he didn't succeed. And you often end up finding excuses as to why he didn't succeed.

It's a trap.

This isn't as if you're "rooting for the guy" is going to push him over the top and make him a winner. He proves it, or doesn't prove it, by virtue of what he does as a professional.

I think that's where people get it wrong. They think they are obligated to root for the guy until he either wins or gets fired. If he isn't getting it done, he's preventing you from enjoying the desired outcome (which is WINNING).

For me, I'd rather see him burn and crash so that we can move on...especially since our owner has proven himself to be loyal to a fault. Our owner needs that sort of assistance. I think Bob has a soft heart, and that's bad in this business.

Maddict5
01-02-2011, 06:29 PM
kubiak just said 'thats not true, im meeting bob tomorrow' to a q in the presser. couldnt hear whether the question was about him or wade though

i think it was about kubiaks future though based on follow up questions

TexCanada
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm just praying that Bob is using the rumors of bringing back Kubiak as a bargaining chip to get Cowher at a slightly lower price. And yes, I said "praying" because it is going to require a divine intervention for this to actually come true. Sad face.

fiasco west
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Not sure what to believe, I'm definitely not believing the Chron though. I'll just wait until the results.

It will be embarrassing though that if Wade is offered and declines the job and takes the DC job elsewhere...

Doppelganger
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
So what time will the announcement be made? 8am? 815?

Doppelganger
01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
There they are. They already have the same expression. They are a natural fit to be together!

http://gridironfans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16096

thunderkyss
01-02-2011, 06:39 PM
This isn't as if you're "rooting for the guy" is going to push him over the top and make him a winner. He proves it, or doesn't prove it, by virtue of what he does as a professional.

I think that's where people get it wrong. They think they are obligated to root for the guy until he either wins or gets fired. If he isn't getting it done, he's preventing you from enjoying the desired outcome (which is WINNING).

I think I was pretty outspoken about David Carr. I was not a fan.

However, when it was evident that he would be our QB for the 2006 season, I supported him. I don't think I actually "rooted" for him. But I supported him as the Texans starting QB.

My feelings weren't hurt one bit, when I found out we were going to release him... not even get anything in trade, after extending his contract for 3 years.

DX-TEX
01-02-2011, 06:39 PM
So what time will the announcement be made? 8am? 815?

8:00 AM Conference starts
8:05 AM Kubiak will retain job
8:07 AM Kubiak announces his new DC is some guy from Denver
8:10 AM McNair announces a 50% increase in season ticket prices
8:11 AM McNair does and an evil chuckle

Nawzer
01-02-2011, 06:44 PM
McNair has to take into account that the caliber of coaches available for hire may not be available to him next season. I don't think a coach like Bill Cowher will be available for hire next season. So, if McNair is able to pass up this opportunity and keep Kubiak, he must be super confident in his ability. I never thought Kubiak would be the guy, and I always thought we'd end up hiring a big time coach to get us to the promise land. I guess we'll find out tomorrow but I'm not confident that Bob McNair will fire Kubiak and get someone more qualified in.

TheMatrix31
01-02-2011, 06:47 PM
As bad as our situation is....LMFAO....Peter King said the Browns are going to fire Mangini and bring in.....MARTY MORNHINGWEG.

nut
01-02-2011, 06:53 PM
This just in -

6:43 p.m. CDT AP/UPI

Gary Kubiak has just received accolades for his 2010 season as HC of the Houston Texans. Bob "I'm just in it for the fans" McNair has given Gary the key to the city for a job well done. "The fans insisted on it and who am I to stand in their way." Gary Kubiak, who was hired for an additional 2 years on his contract a year ago, has proven that his team is "on the right track" and has definitely "shown improvement in 2011". Congratulations to Mr. Kubiak for everything he has done for the fans. On a sidenote, reserarch indicated Mr. McNair was actually the real father of Mr. Kubiak.

thunderkyss
01-02-2011, 06:57 PM
McNair has to take into account that the caliber of coaches available for hire may not be available to him next season. I don't think a coach like Bill Cowher will be available for hire next season.

I don't think Cowher is going to come to Houston, regardless. But the coaches that are out there, HC & coordinators... Just imagine the coaching staffs you can put together this off-season.

Maddict5
01-02-2011, 06:58 PM

agreed. although im sure GP is never wrong about anything so once he 'realises something', its over

J_R
01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Officially 5 years in under Gary Kubiak.(Numbers just updated) Not to piss anyone off more than they may already be but...

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Houston: 55-89 as a franchise

Gary Kubiak:
37-43 overall
1 winning season
2 losing seasons
2 .500 seasons
0 playoff appearances
10-20 division record
10-28 vs winning teams
2-3 season openers
1-4 after bye week
5-7 after 13 weeks('07-'10)

wildroot
01-02-2011, 07:07 PM
We're back where we started, 8-8 we went full circle.
Sort of depressing....

DexmanC
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Officially 5 years in under Gary Kubiak.(Numbers just updated) Not to piss anyone off more than they may already be but...

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Gary Kubiak:
37-43 overall (LOSING record)
1 winning season
2 losing seasons
2 .500 seasons
0 playoff appearances
10-20 division record (LOSING RECORD)
10-28 vs winning teams (LOSING RECORD)
2-3 season openers (LOSING RECORD)
1-4 after bye week (LOSING RECORD)
5-7 after 13 weeks('07-'10) 15-21 = (LOSING RECORD)

Why should Kubiak be back? What has he actually DONE to
convince our fanbase he's "The Man?"

J_R
01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
"He's a good guy and we believe in him." - Bob McNair

No, he didnt actually say that but I wouldnt be surprised to hear something like that at the presser.

:kubepalm:

Peldon
01-02-2011, 07:59 PM

I really think it comes down to fear. People are afraid of losing what they have. For example, they don't want to lose the top 10 offense to take the chance of the next regime possibly failing on both side of the ball. Sometimes you just have to take the chance and hope for the best.

HoustonFrog
01-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Because they are content with the status quo and too worried about "what if." "What if Gary wins elsewhere?" Great, good luck elsewhere. Him doing well or bad elsewhere has no effect on what the Texans fate with a new coach is. Remember when people said Carr was set behind that big Carolina line....yeah, Mickey was horrible. I have no clue why McNair would make the same mistake.

OzzO
01-02-2011, 08:28 PM

That's already been done. I saw it on the official board. Bob was Boss Hog and Kubiak was Roscoe.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9692/bossmcnair.jpg

Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never felt
Been mediorce in with the NFL
Since the day they were joined

Staightnin' the runs
Flatnin the hill
Someday the Jags might get the division
But the Texans never will

Makin' their way
The only way they know how
That's just a little bit more
Than the fans will allow.

Makin' their way
Than the owner will allow.

I'm a good ol' coach
You know my owner loves me
But he don't undestand
Teams keep a knowin my plays and I don't face the FG.

<insert your own YEEEE HAWWWW here>

houstonhurricane
01-02-2011, 08:33 PM
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9692/bossmcnair.jpg

Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never felt
Been mediorce in with the NFL
Since the day they were joined

Staightnin' the runs
Flatnin the hill
Someday the Jags might get the division
But the Texans never will

Makin' their way
Than the fans will allow.

Makin' their way
Than the owner will allow.

I'm a good ol' coach
You know my owner loves me
But he don't undestand
Teams keep a knowin my plays and I don't face the FG.

<insert your own YEEEE HAWWWW here>

Priceless!!! You do need to add a more noticeable Bronco's logo as well...

Nawzer
01-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't think Cowher is going to come to Houston, regardless. But the coaches that are out there, HC & coordinators... Just imagine the coaching staffs you can put together this off-season.

I think Bill Cowher could be the head coach of the Texans if Bob McNair is willing to do the work. The problem is that I let the Texans "sell" me on a lot of things over the past few years like on drafting, free agent signing, coaches, etc. But I just don't think they'll be able to "sell" Kubiak coming back for another year to me and to a lot of other fans of this team. I just don't see the Texans as a serious threat as a Super Bowl champs (this is and should be the ultimate goal of the team every year) under Gary Kubiak. He did good job of putting us on the right path, but its time we get someone who can take us to the next step. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it'll happen but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bob McNair will realize this and do what's right for this team.

Runner
01-02-2011, 08:41 PM

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Gary Kubiak:
37-43 overall
1 winning season
2 losing seasons
2 .500 seasons
0 playoff appearances
10-20 division record
10-28 vs winning teams
2-3 season openers
1-4 after bye week
5-7 after 13 weeks('07-'10)

Aww man....9-7. Such sweet memories. The Texans were at the pinnacle of average; an actual "high average". Give Smithiak two more years and maybe they can recapture those magical glory days.

Runner
01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Speaking of jokes...

I was laughing my ass off when Kubiak ran a two minute drill at the end of the first half in this meaningless game. He won't do it in a game that counts, but he's nails when playing for fun.

GP
01-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Speaking of jokes...

I was laughing my ass off when Kubiak ran a two minute drill at the end of the first half in this meaningless game. He won't do it in a game that counts, but he's nails when playing for fun.

He made up for it by calling a RB toss/sweep on 3rd and 1.

Nullifies the creative 2-minute drill.

Besides, Schaub has control when it's 2-minute drill. The clock keeper at our home games should always make the clock read 01:58 so our QB can run the offense and score points.

Pantherstang84
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Speaking of jokes...

O/T But I have the book in your sig on my reading list. I have read the first chapter on my Nook and it looks like an excellent read. Especially since I have a military cryptographic background.

Lucky
01-02-2011, 09:09 PM
As bad as our situation is....LMFAO....Peter King said the Browns are going to fire Mangini and bring in.....MARTY MORNHINGWEG.
What are you laughing about? We have a Marty Mornhingweg.

Pantherstang84
01-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Yes we do. Hilarious.

Runner
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
O/T But I have the book in your sig on my reading list. I have read the first chapter on my Nook and it looks like an excellent read. Especially since I have a military cryptographic background.

Also O/T. Cryptonomicon is my favorite book of all time...and I read a lot. I can't recommend it enough. I've probably read it ten times.

NitroGSXR
01-02-2011, 09:14 PM
His kids didn't quit on him today. I don't know what to make of it. I don't understand why they didn't. I was sure they did.

Doppelganger
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
His kids didn't quit on him today. I don't know what to make of it. I don't understand why they didn't. I was sure they did.

They didn't quit becuase they like him. They like pulling him nice big game checks, lolly gagging around in practice, and then playing for a coach who will pat them on the back.

Kubiak is their buddy, not their coach.

We need this guy http://www.afgrant.com/images/gillette/opener/PIT_cowher.jpg

Not this guy http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/488069/kubiak.jpg

NitroGSXR
01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
They didn't quit becuase they like him. They like pulling him nice big game checks, lolly gagging around in practice, and then playing for a coach who will pat them on the back.

Kubiak is their buddy, not their coach.

We need this guy http://www.afgrant.com/images/gillette/opener/PIT_cowher.jpg

Not this guy http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/488069/kubiak.jpg

Eh. Don't buy the soft practice or the "bud-bud" argument. Schaub and his offensive line played like they wanted to win.

Porky
01-02-2011, 09:34 PM

We do? Mornhingweg would be an upgrade. :kubepalm:

IlliniJen
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Eh. Don't buy the soft practice or the "bud-bud" argument. Schaub and his offensive line played like they wanted to win.

One game out of 16. Impressive show and certainly speaks to Gary's ability to get his team prepared and fired up. GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM MEDIOCRE!!!

HoustonFrog
01-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Then why didn't they play this way for him all season? I found it highly disturbing that the paper had an article today that the players were treating this like a playoff game and playing for Gary. Really? After 5 wins you decide to dedicate yourself to playing for him and treating it like the playoffs? Winning programs do that EVERY game. Go listen to the Alonzo Highsmith podcast I posted. Highly suspicious of players rooting for a coach. They are comfortable and have no consequences. It is a joke. So the other games they didn't play like they wanted to win for him...only 6 times. Not many over 5 years either.

What scares me is that I think it is really easy for Gary to walk into McNair's office and just go "aww shucks, we were so close and the kids played hard" and McNair says "SOLD!"

NitroGSXR
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
One game out of 16. Impressive show and certainly speaks to Gary's ability to get his team prepared and fired up. GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM MEDIOCRE!!!

Say what you will but this is not limited to one game. An entire season of coming down to the wire. Watching the Tennessee game then the Denver meltdown all but assured me that his team quit on him but today didn't show that at all. His players are not stupid. 5-11 6-10 makes no difference.

FYI, I also think Kubiak is mediocre.

NitroGSXR
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Then why didn't they play this way for him all season? I found it highly disturbing that the paper had an article today that the players were treating this like a playoff game and playing for Gary. Really? After 5 wins you decide to dedicate yourself to playing for him and treating it like the playoffs? Winning programs do that EVERY game. Go listen to the Alonzo Highsmith podcast I posted. Highly suspicious of players rooting for a coach. They are comfortable and have no consequences. It is a joke. So the other games they didn't play like they wanted to win for him...only 6 times. Not many over 5 years either.

What scares me is that I think it is really easy for Gary to walk into McNair's office and just go "aww shucks, we were so close and the kids played hard" and McNair says "SOLD!"

Ok. I "listened" to Alonzo's podcast. It didn't help me much so... "uber fans unite!"

HoustonFrog
01-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Ok. I "listened" to Alonzo's podcast. It didn't help me much so... "uber fans unite!"

Not really sure what you are getting at? I just thought he made some great points about what makes a good coach and organiation. Almost everything mentioned is missing here...fear of job, not accepting losing(like in Tampa), accountability to teammates and others.

Mr. White
01-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Not really sure what you are getting at? I just thought he made some great points about what makes a good coach and organiation. Almost everything mentioned is missing here.

Nitro's pulling your leg, Frog. He's deaf.

NitroGSXR
01-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Not really sure what you are getting at? I just thought he made some great points about what makes a good coach and organiation. Almost everything mentioned is missing here...fear of job, not accepting losing(like in Tampa), accountability to teammates and others.

My bad. I'm Deaf. It's actually why I repped you for transcribing one of those things the other day.

CloakNNNdagger
01-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I made it a point to watch Kubiak essentially throughout the game. Most of the time, with the O on the field, he was on the sideline around 25 yds down the line from the LOS. With the D on the field he was so far away from play action that he would have needed binoculars to see anything that was going on...........that is, IF he didn't have his nose buried in "The Menu" he was holding during the time most plays were actively developing. How does he know how to react and make decisions from play to play? A little birdie gives HIM instructions?

What bowled me over completely was when I noticed something that I had never noticed before............. that he wasn't holding the typical single sheet sheet menu I'm used to seing in the hands of other coaches........he was holding a BIFOLD menu...........FOUR full pages of play calls........FOUR full pages. If HE has the need to constantly (and I mean constantly) refer to the menu (hasn't near memorized it yet), how the H*ll does he expect his players to remember all that their supposed to do, or remember all plays he calls. :kubepalm:

HoustonFrog
01-02-2011, 10:18 PM
My bad. I'm Deaf. It's actually why I repped you for transcribing one of those things the other day.

If I'm allowed...:kubepalm:

Didn't know buddy. My bad. Sorry about that. I am an ***** some days

beerlover
01-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I made it a point to watch Kubiak essentially throughout the game. Most of the time, with the O on the field, he was on the sideline around 25 yds down the line from the LOS. With the D on the field he was so far away from play action that he would have needed binoculars to see anything that was going on...........that is, IF he didn't have his nose buried in "The Menu" he was holding during the time most plays were actively developing. How does he know how to react and make decisions from play to play. A little birdie gives HIM instructions?

What bowled me over completely was when I noticed something that I had never noticed before............. that he wasn't holding the typical single sheet sheet menu I'm used to seing in the hands of other coaches........he was holding a BIFOLD menu...........FOUR full pages of play calls........FOUR full pages. If HE has the need to constantly (and I mean constantly) refer to the menu (hasn't near memorized it yet), how the H*ll does he expect his players to remember all that their supposed to do, or remember all plays he calls. :kubepalm:

classic case of information overload. w/trickle down effect to assistants & players on field trying to execute :mariopalm:

houstonspartan
01-02-2011, 11:51 PM

Wow. I didn't know that. It makes me appreciate people who transcribe stuff on here even more, and makes me realize I need to start taking the time to transcribe myself.

Doppelganger
01-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Say what you will but this is not limited to one game. An entire season of coming down to the wire. Watching the Tennessee game then the Denver meltdown all but assured me that his team quit on him but today didn't show that at all. His players are not stupid. 5-11 6-10 makes no difference.

FYI, I also think Kubiak is mediocre.

Additionally, good teams play a full game on offense. Look at the breakdowns of scoring per quarter.

1. 6/7/7/14
2. 0/7/10/10/3
3. 0/3/0/10
4. 14/0/10/7
5. 0/3/7/0
6. 0/7/7/21
7. 0/3/7/7
8. 10/10/3/0
9. 3/0/14/7
10. 0/7/0/20
11. 0/14/3/3
12. 3/7/14/0
13. 0/7/6/15/0
14. 0/3/7/7
15. 7/10/6/0
16. 10/10/7/7

A ton of games where the offense basically didn't show up in the first half and then the team made a furious comeback and fell short. We saw this last year too where the team looked flat either in the first or the second half. A coach has to get his team fired up. This team rarely sustains a full effort throughout the game.

Doppelganger
01-03-2011, 08:50 AM
classic case of information overload. w/trickle down effect to assistants & players on field trying to execute :mariopalm:

"execute" I thought that was this guy's line... http://photos.upi.com/topics-NFL-FOOTBALL-HOUSTON-TEXANS-AT-NEW-ORLEANS-SAINTS/2f81426e1fcc9fb008b213b4ca88b209/D_1.jpg

Second Honeymoon
01-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Kubiak sucks
Hopefully the guy just quits and gives up
His act is tired and he sounds like a big puss...a beaten man
Give me Cowher or someone who isn't such a vertical slit

McNair can go F himself for all I care...

Like I have said and have been criticized before.
McNair is all about the almighty dollar
McNair is cheap (Is this even up for argument now?)
McNair does not put a priority on winning championships
McNair is a pile of dog excrement

and Dunta gets the last laugh. All you guys who were slamming Dunta and saying he sucks....well looks who is laughing now. one team imploded and the other team got the #1 seed and homefield throughout the playoffs. guess who? that's right. Dunta.

Screw you, Rick.

FIRE RICK SMITH
FIRE KUBIAK
this team is an embarassment and just you wait, Kubiak will be back in 2012 too after going 7-9 next year. They will come up with another excuse.

our only hope is that Gary wants to go to Denver, and he refuses to fire Bush thus forcing Cheap Ass Bob's hand. Then we will probably get some HC that sucks even more than Calhoun. God forbid, hiring a proven winner. That would just be too smart for that pile of crap named Bob. F You Bob.

more to come...

jerek
01-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Just wanted to add my two cents and chip in a vote of confidence in Gary ... to an extent.

I think he's proven himself a fantastic offensive guy. I question his overall leadership in hiring and keeping such awful defensive guys, but if the players say they are on board, I can give him another year. Because ...

There isn't a true upgrade at HC out there save for Bill Cowher, but I never felt that he was being seriously considered. I could say goodbye to Kubiak if we were bringing in Cowher, but for some reason I knew McNair was gonna give Kubiak one more go. Any one else is an unproven or too inconsistent and not a serious candidate in my mind.

Fire all of the defensive assistants and replace them with someone - anyone - and we'll see improvement on that side of the ball.

Corrosion
01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
and Dunta gets the last laugh.
All you guys who were slamming Dunta and saying he sucks....well looks who is laughing now. one team imploded and the other team got the #1 seed and homefield throughout the playoffs. guess who? that's right. Dunta.

Screw you, Rick.

FIRE RICK SMITH

I think you are on to something here -

Smith is the one who provided the Texans with the kiddie secondary , who let Pay-Me-Rick walk and didnt bring in a veteran presence in the secondary as an insurance policy should the kids falter.

Smith gave us Steve Slaton as a kick returner (did they really have a better option?) :headhurts:

houstonhurricane
01-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Important quote from the release announcing that Mangini was fired:

“This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought,” said Browns President Mike Holmgren. “Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level.”

J_R
01-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Important quote from the release announcing that Mangini was fired:

“This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought,” said Browns President Mike Holmgren. “Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level.”

Important quote from the release announcing that Kubiak was retained.

"This decision was easy for me, and it was one into which I did not put a great deal of thought into," said Texans owner Bob McNair. "Although we have declined this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to keep it's friends intact and compete at a mediocre level."

http://216.157.146.180/images/smilies/tongue.gif

thunderkyss
01-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Smith gave us Steve Slaton as a kick returner (did they really have a better option?) :headhurts:

Sherrick McManis was a better option.

James Casey was a better option.

Heck I'm a better option, & I'd have done it on the cheap.

Honoring Earl 34
01-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Dorin Dickerson is who I thought of .

Corrosion
01-03-2011, 09:54 AM

McMainis ... Maybe. But putting a TE/HB returning kicks ?! I cant see that being an upgrade.

McManis did return one kick for 25 yards .... I dont know why they didnt give him more of an opportunity. I dont recall the particular play ....

Dorin Dickerson is who I thought of .

Thats an interesting option that I didnt really consider.

Grams
01-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I keep checking with hopefull anticipation to see if this tread is false.

Still no official word either way?

TexCanada
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I keep checking with hopefull anticipation to see if this tread is false.

Still no official word either way?

It doesn't appear that there is anything official as of yet. Hopefully soon.

NitroGSXR
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
It doesn't appear that there is anything official as of yet. Hopefully soon.
I think it'll be a day or two. At most before the week's out.

El Tejano
01-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Ok. So earlier on Friday I posted that I spoke with a player who used to play with The Texans during 07-09 season and he said that the problem had to do more with the egos along the organization.

Today I spoke with him again and flat out asked him "What do you think about them keeping Kubiak, and is he the man for this job". His response was (summarizing)' Kubiak is an offensive guy and our offense has alot of fire power. The issue has been with the defensive coaching since I was there. Now I hear that Wade Phillips might be going there and man Wade is my guy. I played with him in San Diego in 04-05 and if you put that defense on the Texans, Texans would be a huge threat to win it all.'

houstonhurricane
01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Ok. So earlier on Friday I posted that I spoke with a player who used to play with The Texans during 07-09 season and he said that the problem had to do more with the egos along the organization.

Today I spoke with him again and flat out asked him "What do you think about them keeping Kubiak, and is he the man for this job". His response was (summarizing)' Kubiak is an offensive guy and our offense has alot of fire power. The issue has been with the defensive coaching since I was there. Now I hear that Wade Phillips might be going there and man Wade is my guy. I played with him in San Diego in 04-05 and if you put that defense on the Texans, Texans would be a huge threat to win it all.'

And if you put the '85 Bears defense on this squad we would definately win it all; however, does anyone believe that we have the personnel on that side of the ball to really compete? Can we really do that in one off-season - especially since there will not be much, if any, real activity for quite some time due to the CBA?

djohn2oo8
01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Worst case

- McNair keeps Kubiak - Check
- McNair hires Wade - It will happen
- Smitiak ignores the special teams issues

Ole Miss Texan
01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
And if you put the '85 Bears defense on this squad we would definately win it all; however, does anyone believe that we have the personnel on that side of the ball to really compete? Can we really do that in one off-season - especially since there will not be much, if any, real activity for quite some time due to the CBA?

I think there definitely is. I pray and truly believe that McNair/Smith know the importance of getting a couple more veterans on this team on that side of the ball. A key addition here or there and we'll be gravy I think. This assumes that Mario is healthy and Barwin and Demeco come back healthy and play well.

Lots of ifs and maybes and blind faith... but that's all I got. lol

El Tejano
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Well no duh. His point is that Texans have never made a solid effort to get a real DC. He even stated that alot of players would love to go where Phillips is.

El Tejano
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Worst case

- McNair keeps Kubiak - Check
- McNair hires Wade - It will happen
- Smitiak ignores the special teams issues

You know, alot of this is going under the rug because alot of us want Kubiak gone. However, I agree that getting a new DC isn't going to help when the offense is consistently getting the ball at the 35 or better to start off with.

houstonhurricane
01-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Well no duh. His point is that Texans have never made a solid effort to get a real DC. He even stated that alot of players would love to go where Phillips is.

And my point, "duh," is that with the real possibility of no legitimate off-season that would not matter much...

Maddict5
01-03-2011, 01:41 PM

for everyones info (so they dont spend 5 mins looking it up like me!) its jamar fletcher that is the mystery player :doot:

houstonhurricane
01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Wow, so the HC (and GM) had no say-so in what we did from a personnel standpoint on defense? Why is Bob acting so defensive and irrational? Rick Smith and Kubiak must be blood relatives to Bob. Otherwise, this level of defense simply does not make sense.

Props to Matt Jackson's Twitter account for the link:

http://www.click2houston.com/video/26366571/index.html

Mr teX
01-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Wow, so the HC (and GM) had no say-so in what we did from a personnel standpoint on defense? Why is Bob acting so defensive and irrational? Rick Smith and Kubiak must be blood relatives to Bob. Otherwise, this level of defense simply does not make sense.

Props to Matt Jackson's Twitter account for the link:

http://www.click2houston.com/video/26366571/index.html

Its you getting your panties in a wad. Bob McNair uses WE in that excerpt all over the place. He clearly acknowledges everyone's role in the fiasco that was our secondary/defense this year. What, you expected him to come out & throw the HC under the bus? A HC that he just gave yet another year to? In the words of Keyshawn Johnson.... Come on man!

GuerillaBlack
01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Its you getting your panties in a wad. Bob McNair uses WE in that excerpt all over the place. He clearly acknowledges everyone's role in the fiasco that was our secondary/defense this year. What, you expected him to come out & throw the HC under the bus? A HC that he just gave yet another year to? In the words of Keyshawn Johnson.... Come on man!

That's what Keyshawn is saying on Sunday Countdown to McNair for keeping Kubiak a sixth year.

Ole Miss Texan
01-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Dang houstonhurricane you neg-repped me for this!? That was my first neg rep ever. :(

1st Neg Rep: January 2011

That's 4 and 2/3 years; 56 months; 7,000 posts. Guess it had to come sometime, it has been a nice run.

GuerillaBlack
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Dang houstonhurricane you neg-repped me for this!? That was my first neg rep ever. :(

1st Neg Rep: January 2011

That's 4 and 2/3 years; 56 months; 7,000 posts. Guess it had to come sometime, it has been a nice run.

The neg rep whining is getting pretty old. Meaningless stat on the interwebz. People want their e-penor (rep points) to be the biggest.

Ole Miss Texan
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM
The neg rep whining is getting pretty old. Meaningless stat on the interwebz. People want their e-penor (rep points) to be the biggest.

Neg rep in this day and age or "whining" when getting neg repped?

GuerillaBlack
01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Neg rep in this day and age or "whining" when getting neg repped?

Both.

MojoMan
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
It has not been the culture on this board to negative rep people, unless they are acting like complete trolls in the truest sense of the term. Traditionally we have not negative repped each other for a simple difference of opinion.

There are message boards where negative rep is used liberally, and in some cases, the members on these boards tend to end up with more negative rep than positive rep. In other words, it becomes rather hostile and mean-spirited. Surely we can all agree that this is not a path that we wish to explore.

So, please, let's try to play nice with the rep points.

Ole Miss Texan
01-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Ok well I wasn't whining... I actually thought it was kind of funny. Quite frankly I could care less. I think neg rep is pretty dumb and felt like calling someone out on it. People are just getting so sensitive nowadays.

NitroGSXR
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Ok well I wasn't whining... I actually thought it was kind of funny. Quite frankly I could care less. I think neg rep is pretty dumb and felt like calling someone out on it. People are just getting so sensitive nowadays.

Sensitive on both sides of the rep scale. People have to temper their comments in posts as well. Getting down to the point is far better than throwing a bratty tantrum.

I was astounded by the neg you received. Silly but you gotta laugh it off.

Textan
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
So, if the Texans fail to make the playoff's next season who will be the scapegoat?
I thought this season was the final test for Kubiak?

Cerberus
01-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I think the Texans and McNair did the right thing in keeping Kubiak. I don't know who likes or dislikes him, but as a die-hard Raider fan that is also a casual Texan fan, I think Kubes deserves another year with a competent DC and scheme. Now, whether Wade can deliver or not I can't say. In fact, who it so say Wade won't try and undermine Kubes, much like what happened out in Oakland with Tom Cable and Hue Jackson.

HTown2ATX
01-09-2011, 10:37 AM
We'll have to wait and see with the steaming pile of shi.....I mean the staff we have now. I hope it works....really do....but am having to fight apathy right now.

Raiders - Cannot believe they let Cable go. Raiders were finally non-garbage since 2002 and Zombie Lord Davis lets Cable go = :kubepalm:

Good luck to the Raiders and Texans to overcome owner stupidity next season!!

;)

Cerberus
01-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah, the Raiders will need it. Word today is that Nnamdi Asomugha is a FA because he didn't hit certain incentives, and the Raiders can NOT franchise him. I suspect Nams will now leave so he can play in a up-to-date defense somewhere else in the NFL, and you thought the Texans had problems, the Raiders have 20+ FA this offseason and Davis just turned a bunch of players off by letting Cables walk. If the Texans were smart, they'd take a look at the Raiders roster and go after FAs like OG Robert Gallery, DB Nnamdi Asomugha, DT Richard Seymour, etc.

texanchris
01-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah, the Raiders will need it. Word today is that Nnamdi Asomugha is a FA because he didn't hit certain incentives, and the Raiders can NOT franchise him. I suspect Nams will now leave so he can play in a up-to-date defense somewhere else in the NFL, and you thought the Texans had problems, the Raiders have 20+ FA this offseason and Davis just turned a bunch of players off by letting Cables walk. If the Texans were smart, they'd take a look at the Raiders roster and go after FAs like OG Robert Gallery, DB Nnamdi Asomugha, DT Richard Seymour, etc.

but are GM is not smart and will end up signing more no name guys that other teams cut.