PDA

View Full Version : At what point...

djohn2oo8
12-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Will the Texans start to lose fans because of McNair? Obviously alot of fans think Kubiak should be fired, justifiably so, but if Kubiak is retained while Wade Phillips is brought in at DC, and they fail to make the playoffs again next year, while NOT bringing in any GOOD defensive players via trades or free agency,will you find another team to root for?

Fred
12-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Will the Texans start to lose fans because of McNair?...

Monday January 3, 2011 if Kubiak is not fired.

Yesterday
12-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Monday January 3, 2011 if Kubiak is not fired.

Same

devo-x
12-30-2010, 03:15 PM
I have never seen the Texans ranked this low before - 31st out of 32 teams

Houston Texans (5-10)
You're a good man, Bob McNair. Always have been, always will be. But you gotta do it. You have to pull the trigger and admit that Gary Kubiak isn't the man to get the job done in Houston. He's had his fair shot, and failed. Keeping him around for another season only sends the message to your fans that you're too patient for your own good, and willing to accept mediocrity.

From: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/12/29/nfl-power-rankings-week-17/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

Seņor Stan
12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Will the Texans start to lose fans because of McNair? Obviously alot of fans think Kubiak should be fired, justifiably so, but if Kubiak is retained while Wade Phillips is brought in at DC, and they fail to make the playoffs again next year, while NOT bringing in any GOOD defensive players via trades or free agency,will you find another team to root for?

ehhh...I tried whole "root for another team" thing when the Oilers left. It doesn't work. I have too much emotional investment in Houston football to pick another city and start following them. I either like football too much, or not enough...I'm not sure which.

Frustratingly horrible football > not having a team > rooting for another team

BIG TORO
12-30-2010, 03:23 PM
ehhh...I tried whole "root for another team" thing when the Oilers left. It doesn't work. I have too much emotional investment in Houston football to pick another city and start following them. I either like football too much, or not enough...I'm not sure which.

:bravo: Same Here!

nero THE zero
12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
My support is more contingent on him firing Rick Smith than Gary Kubiak.

Until he does that, not only will I not put $.01 toward the Texans, my support for the team will be luke warm. I will still watch the games. But, I will not plan my life around them.

Mr teX
12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
i doubt they'll start losing fans in droves if mcnair chooses to keep kubiak for next year. Football is too important down here for that to happen & people who love football still remember the days with no football here. & though i have not partook in any, i hear the tailgaiting is ridiculously good for our games so at minimum the few folks who do choose to leave the stadium will continue to show up for that. When we do finally start winning those same folks will return back to the stadium & hook will be loaded again.

DerekLee1
12-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Never. All these "fans" that bail either aren't really fans, or are fairweathers who will be right back "supporting" the team opening day kickoff next year. Or at worst, when they win a couple of games.

People fume, people vent, but in the end, they'll still be around. Remember the Mario/Vince/Reggie thing, and all the "fans" that supposedly bailed?

HTown2ATX
12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I'll still be a fan. I know it's a lifetime commitment while they are in this city. But the question for me is how Apathetic will I be?

Just because I remain does not mean I will give a flying F about the fairy ass train wreck on Kirby until this guy is gonzo.

HTown for life.......they just make it hard to care anymore until something is changed. But I can't and won't leave or fully root for another team...that's just not me.

It's a shame how McNair is nationally embarrassing the fans and the team and city if he keeps kubes.

If you thought that the Texans were already a joke nationally just wait until Kubes is NOT fired (if that indeed comes to pass).

Thorn
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
There is no way in hell I can be a fan and root for another team. It isn't just football, it's being in Houston and rooting for the home team. I might be disgusted, pissed off and very damned unhappy with the home team, but they shall remain just that, the home team.

houstonhurricane
12-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Love the team and will never relinquish my fandom, but am seriously contemplating dropping at least one set of my season tickets, which I have owned since the franchise's inception. Poor product, bandaid fixes and the CBA fiasco all have dampened my enthusiasm to keep sending them my money.

Hookem Horns
12-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I am finding it harder and harder. The Oilers were the team I rooted for since I was a kid because we lived in Houston. I also rooted for the Bucs as a kid just because I liked Doug Williams and those orange uniforms. I always felt I could root for a team in each conference.

Then when I was 13 we moved to NY and in the mid 80's I started rooting for the Giants during the Parcells era. They pretty much replaced the Bucs for me also I never had any ties to Florida. However the Oilers stayed #1 even living up there.

So when the Texans came around I thought they would replace what I had in the Oilers. A new #1 team that was from my original home town.

All I will say is when the Oilers played the Giants there was no question where my heart was. They never beat the Giants however, even that last game of the season when they needed to win to earn a playoff bye and the Giants were 7-8. I sat next to Al Del Greco's uncle in the Meadowlands rooting for the Oilers. Of course they choked to a Giants team that had nothing to play for.

This season when the Texans played the Giants I was really divided. When the Giants did someone good I found myself cheering inside. That never happened with the Oilers.

Each season I am having a harder time relating to the Texans. As I said in another post I cannot relate to the "mamby pamby" attitude down there. There is no demand for a winner and you know what the old saying is "you get what you ask for".

If McNair seriously does not axe Kubiak on Monday that is really going to have an affect on how I feel about them.

As bad as Bud Adams was I can honestly say I related a lot more to him (on a football level) than McNair (please shoot me now). I remember several Oilers drafts or free agent moves where they picked the guy I wanted or thought would be the best. I don't think that has happened once with the Texans.

Even when Bud traded Warren Moon it's also what I wanted at the time. I thought Moon was a playoff choke artist and I wanted to go with Cody Carlson. Was it the right move? Well Carlson got hurt so no, however I couldn't fault Bud because I wanted that too.

I know I am rambling but yes, it's becoming harder and harder to have any passion for this team when you don't agree with anything they do.

CloakNNNdagger
12-30-2010, 06:51 PM
There will always be that next "gimmick" that McNair will pull off to keep some hope and interest up for the fans for the "next better year." But in the off season, after the season's over, if you go to another football town, what's it going to feel like walking around in full Texans gear?........entirely proud?..............maybe a little funny? You can ask yourself that question. I don't necessarily expect an honest answer from some. You can keep the answer to yourself. But ask yourself that question. After a decade, we shouldn't be have to entertain that question........or ponder what the answer might be........for even a second.

thunderkyss
12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I wonder why the Raiders still have fans.

Blake
12-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Apparently never.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78916

:kubepalm:

thunderkyss
12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
There will always be that next "gimmick" that McNair will pull off to keep some hope and interest up for the fans for the "next better year." But in the off season, after the season's over, if you go to another football town, what's it going to feel like walking around in full Texans gear?........entirely proud?..............maybe a little funny? You can ask yourself that question. I don't necessarily expect an honest answer from some. You can keep the answer to yourself. But ask yourself that question. After a decade, we shouldn't be have to entertain that question........or ponder what the answer might be........for even a second.

I haven't turned my back on my country & it's soldiers, just because Obama is an ***** or Bush is an even bigger *****. I wear those colors proudly every day of my life. I'm proud to be a vet & to have served this great country, regardless what France's opinion of us may be.

That's how I roll.

I'm a Texan. I've tried to root for other teams, when Houston didn't have a team..... never took, nothing felt right, not even Dallas.

I wore my gear when we were 2-14 & defended those soldiers too.... it's what I do (maybe I didn't defend David Carr... but that was different).

CloakNNNdagger
12-30-2010, 07:35 PM
I haven't turned my back on my country & it's soldiers, just because Obama is an ***** or Bush is an even bigger *****. I wear those colors proudly every day of my life. I'm proud to be a vet & to have served this great country, regardless what France's opinion of us may be.

That's how I roll.

I'm a Texan. I've tried to root for other teams, when Houston didn't have a team..... never took, nothing felt right, not even Dallas.

I wore my gear when we were 2-14 & defended those soldiers too.... it's what I do (maybe I didn't defend David Carr... but that was different).

I would have to say that many would have no problem separating the issue of the support of this country with that of supporting or not supporting a sports team.

There are still fans in Houston defending David Carr..........in fact wearing his Jersey to this day.

HTown2ATX
12-30-2010, 07:37 PM
I would have to say that many would have no problem separating the issue of the support of this country with that of supporting or not supporting a sports team.

There are still fans in Houston defending David Carr..........in fact wearing his Jersey to this day.

:lol:

No way! Seriously!!

That would be the height of insanity right there.

False Start
12-30-2010, 07:38 PM

Couldn't have said it better. :clap:

houstonspartan
12-30-2010, 07:41 PM

Damn. No joke?

False Start
12-30-2010, 07:42 PM

:kubepalm: :wadepalm:

thunderkyss
12-30-2010, 08:03 PM

Well, my point is win or lose, I'm in.

For better or worse, in good times & bad, I'm in love with this team.

Kinda like my kids... I support them no matter what. I understand that they've got to make their own mistakes, and there might come a time when they'll cross a line where I can no longer support them financially (because of decisions they made that I can't live with)...

You & some others may be at that point, I'm not.

I don't believe the rumors. I won't believe that Kubiak is coming back, until the man says it. Even in that article where Kubiak & Phillips being together in Houston, they said if Wade doesn't accept the job, Kubiak is gone.......

So I'll just wait & see.