PDA

View Full Version : McClain's latest regurgitation: Kubiak remains Texans Head Coach

Brisco_County
12-29-2010, 01:43 PM
McClain initially expected Kubiak to get fired immediately after the team's Week 16 loss to the Broncos. He now believes that owner Bob McNair will announce Kubiak's return next Monday. One of the conditions will be that Kubiak overhaul his entire defensive coaching staff.

Link (http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/13733/Source--Texans-will-retain-Kubiak-as-head-coach/Default.aspx)

Source (http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/20173151954542592)

And there you have it. What it all comes down to: "McNair loves Kubiak." What better reason to keep a coach?

Related: What this may say about the owners' outlook on the CBA. Offseason firings indicate more about that than anything.

NitroGSXR
12-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Another rumor. Have some patience!!

Until Black Monday...

JB
12-29-2010, 01:51 PM
You really put that much faith into what McLain thinks?

houstonspartan
12-29-2010, 01:56 PM
When I was coming back from lunch not too long ago, a lady in the elevator who works in my office, whom I never thought would ever follow football, turned to me and said, "Houstonspartan, the Texans act as if they're afraid of Kubiak or something."

I laughed and said, "Yeah, I really think they are. For some reason, this guy has this team in his hands."

Brisco_County
12-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Hey, theredzone.com says he's one of the best beat writers in the country!

Carr Bombed
12-29-2010, 01:57 PM
John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, one of the best beat writers in the nation

aaaaannnnnd that's where I stopped reading the article.

Brisco_County
12-29-2010, 01:59 PM
aaaaannnnnd, that's where I stopped reading the article.

I like The Red Zone... But yeah. :rake:

steelbtexan
12-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Link (http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/13733/Source--Texans-will-retain-Kubiak-as-head-coach/Default.aspx)

Source (http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/20173151954542592)

And there you have it. What it all comes down to: "McNair loves Kubiak." What better reason to keep a coach?

Related: What this may say about the owners' outlook on the CBA. Offseason firings indicate more about that than anything.

If true

Uncle Bob's love for Kubiak knows no bounds.

He's willing to put that love for Kubiak above the betterment of the franchise.

Either that or he doesn't want to pay 2 coaching staffs during the lockout. Unlike the Cowboys,Vikings,SF etc...

97roc
12-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Still waiting on the rumor that the entire staff and GM are fired... Looks like these rumors are going in the wrong direction. Come on Monday.

devo-x
12-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Please add "Rumor" to the title as this has not been confirmed by McNair

GuerillaBlack
12-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Say it ain't so Lord! Say it ain't so!

Honoring Earl 34
12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
A slow dance for Bob and Gary ... clear the floor please .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpntNDAYltM

Stemp
12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
What makes Uncle Bob think that they won't whiff on DC and the rest of the coaching staff again? Besides, it was Kubiak who OK'd going with a Def backfield with 2 years combined experience in the first place.

JB
12-29-2010, 02:13 PM
What makes Uncle Bob think that they won't whiff on DC and the rest of the coaching staff again? Besides, it was Kubiak who OK'd going with a Def backfield with 2 years combined experience in the first place.

That may have been Rick Smith's call. He is the supposed expert talent evaluator with a background in db's.

wagonhed
12-29-2010, 02:14 PM
thread titles like this suck. please say if it's a rumor. have a heart.

gary
12-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Lord let it be the fourth already.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-29-2010, 02:20 PM
That may have been Rick Smith's call. He is the supposed expert talent evaluator with a background in db's.

Kubiak signs off on all personel moves made by the team.

RTP2110
12-29-2010, 02:22 PM
I've never bashed McClain before, but this is the most wishy washy reporting I've ever seen. Everyday it's a different story from him. I think his predictions have as much merit as any of ours on this MB.

Carr Bombed
12-29-2010, 02:23 PM
LMAO, I love the title change. :spit:

Kaiser Toro
12-29-2010, 02:25 PM
LMAO, I love the title change. :spit:

It is what it is. :kubepalm:

houstonhurricane
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I've never bashed McClain before, but this is the most wishy washy reporting I've ever seen. Everyday it's a different story from him. I think his predictions have as much merit as any of ours on this MB.

The only other time he really frustrated me was during his push for VY. This back and forth dance on his part is simply amazing - but I do think someone "in the know" let him know that his previous reporting was false. Not looking good for the change some of us were hoping for...

Señor Stan
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey, theredzone.com says he's one of the best beat writers in the country!

ummm.... theredzone.org is the football website...

theredzone.com is...well...not a football website (although it *does* involve scoring)

Texan4Ever
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Okay, if we assume Gary Kubiak will be given one final shot at taking this team to the playoffs, is there anyway we can get Leslie Fraizer to come down here as our defensive coordinator?

I doubt the Vikings will give him a shot at the HC position in Minnesota so if we could get him to come here, he would be a major upgrade over Frank Bush and improve our rush defense since his Vikings team does relatively well in that category.

houstonhurricane
12-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Okay, if we assume Gary Kubiak will be given one final shot at taking this team to the playoffs, is there anyway we can get Leslie Fraizer to come down here as our defensive coordinator?

I doubt the Vikings will give him a shot at the HC position in Minnesota so if we could get him to come here, he would be a major upgrade over Frank Bush and improve our rush defense since his Vikings team does relatively well in that category.

I think he won that HC job with last night's impressive victory over the Eagles...

Ole Miss Texan
12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Not looking good for the change some of us were hoping for...

Seems to be a running theme these days, no?

http://www.cassyfiano.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/barack-obama-facepalm.jpg

Yankee_In_TX
12-29-2010, 02:40 PM

But that's the thing - he keeps repeating it is only his opinion - he has no sources. So not sure why he has a job or anyone should care?

houstonhurricane
12-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Seems to be a running theme these days, no?

http://www.cassyfiano.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/barack-obama-facepalm.jpg

No, you don't get it. The President is a great speech giver and the economy is really the fault of the Secretary of the Treasurery. All we need to do is replace that particular cabinet member, keep the president and we will be fine...:)

TexansFight
12-29-2010, 02:44 PM
The fans need to make a statement Sunday that the return of the Kubiak-Smith regime of ultimate FAIL is completely UNACCEPTABLE. I know the Fire Kubiak rally will happen before the game but there needs to be fan protest DURING THE GAME. I will do whatever is necessary to make my voice heard loud and clear.

Señor Stan
12-29-2010, 02:56 PM
http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/20186447017418752

Speaking to coaches and executives today, hearing rumblings of Wade Phillips possibly landing as coordinator in HOU w/ Kubiak as head coach

Hopefully "coaches and executives" does not mean "reading the Houston Chronicle"

Hookem Horns
12-29-2010, 02:58 PM
McNair loved David Carr too and see where that got him.

All of this McNair keeping people around or hiring them because he likes them is going too far IF that indeed happens. You just CANNOT be pals with your employees.

Even Kubiak knows he should be fired. You can see it in his face. I wish the dude would just resign since it appears McNair may not have the nads to do it himself.

Unfortunately it looks like the Texans have soft ownership and teams always reflect ownership.

Prediction: The Texans beat the Jags on Sunday because their version of Rusty Smith is playing QB. Then McNair will say the season ended on a high note and the team is heading in the right direction ... blah blah blah. He then praises Kubiak for the effort and brings him back. He then brings in another softee in Wade Phillips and everything is all marshmallows and rainbows heading into the next season.

Yankee_In_TX
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/20186447017418752

Hopefully "coaches and executives" does not mean "reading the Houston Chronicle"

mUST SPREAD REP.

Pollardized
12-29-2010, 03:01 PM
mUST SPREAD REP.

got him!!!

WolverineFan
12-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Wade Phillips

I don't really like that match for our defense. He's a 3-4 guy and while we have most of the personnel for a 3-4 that would completely shaft Mario.

Texan4Ever
12-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Wade Phillips

I don't really like that match for our defense. He's a 3-4 guy and while we have most of the personnel for a 3-4 that would completely shaft Mario.

I hate doing this to him but Mario could be traded for draft picks and or personnel that can fit a 3-4 scheme.

gary
12-29-2010, 03:13 PM

I doubt the Vikings will give him a shot at the HC position in Minnesota so if we could get him to come here, he would be a major upgrade over Frank Bush and improve our rush defense since his Vikings team does relatively well in that category.I think Fraizer will keep his job and wish him the best of luck. He deserves a chance and his team seems to like him.

97roc
12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
ummm.... theredzone.org is the football website...

theredzone.com is...well...not a football website (although it *does* involve scoring)

I thought he meant to do that with some underlying VY message.

And the new thread title is much more appropriate.

devo-x
12-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Prediction: McNair will likely relieve Kubiak of head coaching duties even if the Texans win on Sunday against the Jaguars

Carr Bombed
12-29-2010, 03:52 PM

He's pretty much already has the job sowed up.

Norg
12-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Good im kinda glad now with the money we safe we should pluck some players from F/A and have a good draft

SO lets start to talk about the Draft what should we get with our #1 pick ???

Ole Miss Texan
12-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Good im kinda glad now with the money we safe we should pluck some players from F/A and have a good draft

SO lets start to talk about the Draft what should we get with our #1 pick ???

NT, DE, LB, CB, S or... AJ Green. :)

TexanDave
12-29-2010, 04:01 PM
I listen to sports talk on my drive home but I hate hearing McClain talk because I get the impression from him that if anyone disagrees with his opinion they are stupid. He is constantly saying the fans are wrong and that he knows right because he has been doing this for years and he has inside sources.

JB
12-29-2010, 04:14 PM
The fans need to make a statement Sunday that the return of the Kubiak-Smith regime of ultimate FAIL is completely UNACCEPTABLE. I know the Fire Kubiak rally will happen before the game but there needs to be fan protest DURING THE GAME. I will do whatever is necessary to make my voice heard loud and clear.

What do you suggest?

Maddict5
12-29-2010, 04:17 PM
What do you suggest?

from his post, im guessing bringing some signs & he will capitalise the important parts for mcnair to see :)

JB
12-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Kubiak signs off on all personel moves made by the team.

Do you think he is picking the defensive players himself? I know he signs off on them, and as HC he bears responsibility, but doesn't the GM also? One of the reasons Smith was recommended Is because he is supposed to be a great talent evaluator.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Do you think he is picking the defensive players himself? I know he signs off on them, and as HC he bears responsibility, but doesn't the GM also? One of the reasons Smith was recommended Is because he is supposed to be a great talent evaluator.

I see Kubiak and Smith as a package deal which is why I want both of them gone. Like i said in another thread, keeping Kubiak and/or Smith is like polishing a turd.

MojoX
12-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Wade Phillips

Mario would make a good 3-4 defensive end ala Bruce Smith. He has the strength and power game to excel.

Mike Kerns
12-29-2010, 04:26 PM

Just wait until the draft. He flip flops every 10 minutes so he can say he was right.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I will say though that if 1 absolutely had to stay, I would pick Kubiak. Rick Smith brings absolutely nothing to the table for this organization.

HoustonFrog
12-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Wade Phillips isn't an easy fix. As a Cowboy fan his defense was highly suspect this year and regressed greatly with more talent than the Texans have. In fact many players dropped off. I just don't really get how this fixes the Kubiak problem. It is HIS issues causing the team to play like this. I'm not sure how that can't be anymore clear.

disaacks3
12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I've never bashed McClain before, but this is the most wishy washy reporting I've ever seen. Everyday it's a different story from him. I think his predictions have as much merit as any of ours on this MB. Much less....we don't have nearly the AGENDA he often does. We don't have to keep on the "good side" of the Texans Mgmt.

I hate doing this to him but Mario could be traded for draft picks and or personnel that can fit a 3-4 scheme.
If we go 3-4, count on it. I'd hate it, but Mario isn't built for the 3-4.

I listen to sports talk on my drive home but I hate hearing McClain talk because I get the impression from him that if anyone disagrees with his opinion they are stupid. He is constantly saying the fans are wrong and that he knows right because he has been doing this for years and he has inside sources. The most ironic thing is that he belittles the caller...I mean, how can THEY possibly know more than the all-famous, movie-starring, tall tale telling John McClain....then reverses himself weeks down the road and starts saying the same things the caller did and acting like HE suddenly came upon this information.

Ole Miss Texan
12-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Wade Phillips isn't an easy fix. As a Cowboy fan his defense was highly suspect this year and regressed greatly with more talent than the Texans have. In fact many players dropped off. I just don't really get how this fixes the Kubiak problem. It is HIS issues causing the team to play like this. I'm not sure how that can't be anymore clear.

I think we've got a ton of potential on the defense, we just havn't had the coaching to (i) coach them and (ii) gameplan. Every game is the same base defense and the opposing offense has seen all the film on us. Eli Manning and other QBs have commented that they knew exactly what we were doing and then they could just pick us apart. I think... let me rephrase that... I hope Phillips can bring in some more guys and actually develop our plays, gameplan against offenses and assemble a respectable defense.

People bash some of our draft picks and FAs, but I truly think they can have very defined places on this team. Mario, Antonio, Cushing, Demeco with better coaching/gameplans? Amobi, Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin with better coaching/gameplans?

You know we're going to be selecting some more defensive guys early in the draft too: Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, Nick Fairley, Marcel Dareus, Stephen Paea, Brandon Harris, Von Miller. Get a staff that can develop the young guys we have and the potential all star we draft in the 1st and we could have a NASTY defense turned around quickly.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-29-2010, 05:13 PM
If we go 3-4, count on it. I'd hate it, but Mario isn't built for the 3-4.

What makes you say that? Mario is practically a more athletic version of Richard Seymour.

GuerillaBlack
12-29-2010, 05:20 PM

I see what you're saying, but the difference is, the entire Cowboys team fell off this year. Wade was TOO soft. That Cowboys D was good for Wade's first three years. Overrated, but good. The players started taking advantage of Wade, something I think has/is happening with Kubiak. He needs to go. Wade should only come in with a strong HC like Cowher.

Brisco_County
12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Mario and Smith would both be excellent 3-4 DE's. Cushing and Barwin would be even better 3-4 OLB's. The problem would be depth.

TEXANRED
12-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Mario and Smith would both be excellent 3-4 DE's. Cushing and Barwin would be even better 3-4 OLB's. The problem would be depth.

The real problem is 3 of the 4 LB's, Ryans, Sharpton, Barwin, all sufford season ending injuries that require surgery.

There is also a good chance that Barwin and Ryans start the season off on the PUP list or never recover from their injuries resulting in the end of their career.

thunderkyss
12-29-2010, 05:49 PM

First we don't know what McNair is going to do. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know what he is going to do. We're talking about an article about what another columnist believes to be the most likely scenario.

None of this is real.

& Belichick made the same decision.

Double Barrel
12-29-2010, 05:51 PM
I listen to sports talk on my drive home but I hate hearing McClain talk because I get the impression from him that if anyone disagrees with his opinion they are stupid. He is constantly saying the fans are wrong and that he knows right because he has been doing this for years and he has inside sources.

Next time you hear him, just think of the following picture and it will help you to not take him so serious.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:qa5chNMhrHiLcM:http://wac.31d2.edgecastcdn.net/8031D2/walrus/common/medialib/104/297135.jpg&t=1

I don't see Wade as being the key ingredient to improve this defense. His style is very similar to Kubiak's, and I think soft is in order if these two are our coaches in 2011.

Carr Bombed
12-29-2010, 05:55 PM
iWHEN IS IT GOING TO HAPPEN?!?

97roc
12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
from his post, im guessing bringing some signs & he will capitalise the important parts for mcnair to see :)

Nice one! :lol:

gary
12-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I am ready for our questions to be put to rest by Bob.

ArlingtonTexan
12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
iWHEN IS IT GOING TO HAPPEN?!?

I am ready for our questions to be put to rest by Bob.

Those won't come until Monday morning at the earliest.

texanhead08
12-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Mario would make a good 3-4 defensive end ala Bruce Smith. He has the strength and power game to excel.

Mario could play in any system those guys are morons that think we have to trade him if we go to a 3-4. Bruce Smith played 15yrs as a DE in a 3-4.

Carr Bombed
12-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Those won't come until Monday morning at the earliest.

No that's not what I'm talking about... I've been sitting here for 5 hours hearing and reading reports on how Kubiak will be returning next season and I just want to know when Ahston Kutcher is going to kick down my door and tell me I'm on a new epidsode of punked. When is THAT going to happen?

http://www.soonet.ca/images/smilies/Smile/suicide.gif

Pantherstang84
12-29-2010, 07:04 PM
No that's not what I'm talking about... I've been sitting here for 5 hours hearing and reading reports on how Kubiak will be returning next season and I just want to know when Ahston Kutcher is going to kick down my door and tell me I'm on a new epidsode of punked. When is THAT going to happen?

http://www.soonet.ca/images/smilies/Smile/suicide.gif

I hate to break it to ya man but I don't think Ashton is going to show up.

Jackie Chiles
12-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Mario could play in any system those guys are morons that think we have to trade him if we go to a 3-4. Bruce Smith played 15yrs as a DE in a 3-4.

Exactly, there is not a defense in the NFL that Mario couldn't play in. He would excel as a 3-4 end and has the versatility to switch to LB. A good DC could move him around and create a ton of havok.

Carr Bombed
12-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I hate to break it to ya man but I don't think Ashton is going to show up.

And it's depressing as hell, being a fan of this team is cruel and unusual punishment. With Kubiak, there's absolutely no hope for next season.

Pantherstang84
12-29-2010, 07:10 PM
And it's depressing as hell, being a fan of this team is cruel and unusual punishment.

Agreed. Starting to get taste of what it was like to be an Aints fan back in the day.

eriadoc
12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
When I was coming back from lunch not too long ago, a lady in the elevator who works in my office, whom I never thought would ever follow football, turned to me and said, "Houstonspartan, the Texans act as if they're afraid of Kubiak or something."

I laughed and said, "Yeah, I really think they are. For some reason, this guy has this team in his hands."

You may want to go ahead and tell her your name.

HoustonFrog
12-29-2010, 08:17 PM
I see what you're saying, but the difference is, the entire Cowboys team fell off this year. Wade was TOO soft. That Cowboys D was good for Wade's first three years. Overrated, but good. The players started taking advantage of Wade, something I think has/is happening with Kubiak. He needs to go. Wade should only come in with a strong HC like Cowher.

I don't see Wade as being the key ingredient to improve this defense. His style is very similar to Kubiak's, and I think soft is in order if these two are our coaches in 2011.

QFT. The move would make sense to me with a stronger coach. Soft and softer personalities don't do it for me. To me it is more good ole boy network moves that McNair listens to.

Ole Miss Texan
12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Players have gone on record and some have indicated off record that the Kubiak is soft notion is a myth. He may be that aw shucks guy to the media and all but to the team he isn't like that one bit. The fans idea of him as a soft coach is offbase.

houstonhurricane
12-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Players have gone on record and some have indicated off record that the Kubiak is soft notion is a myth. He may be that aw shucks guy to the media and all but to the team he isn't like that one bit. The fans idea of him as a soft coach is offbase.

To me a soft coach is one that is unable to inspire his team and get them to play disciplined football. Therefore, Kubiak is an extremely soft coach.

HoustonFrog
12-29-2010, 08:54 PM

The fact that players are saying he isn't soft and the way they never come out and punch anyone in he mouth says "soft" to me. Sorry, when they didn't cut Brown last season and when guys like some D-lienman get in fights and don't even get a talking to on the sideline...soft. This goes back to the conversation Highsmith had. Guess what, players came to Wade's defense too and he didn't run a tight ship.

thunderkyss
12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
To me a soft coach is one that is unable to inspire his team and get them to play disciplined football. Therefore, Kubiak is an extremely soft coach.

Again, we are among the least penalized teams in 2010.

thunderkyss
12-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Guess what, players came to Wade's defense too and he didn't run a tight ship.

So Jerry Jones fires Wade Smith, & he's a bad coach?

Jerry fired Barry SWitzer too..... Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells......... & Tom Landry.

Maybe it's not the coaches.

:kitten:

Big Lou
12-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I like The Red Zone... But yeah. :rake:

I like theredzone.org as well, in thier defense I think they only post articles I so they weren't really taking a stand....

By the way always remember .ORG, I went to the theredzone.com one time sitting right beside my wife. .COM isn't really about football, needless to say my wife didn't talk to me for a week..........

HoustonFrog
12-29-2010, 09:36 PM
So Jerry Jones fires Wade Smith, & he's a bad coach?

Jerry fired Barry SWitzer too..... Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells......... & Tom Landry.

Maybe it's not the coaches.

:kitten:

You whiffed completely on the point. Wade ran a lazy a soft ship and ruled with a soft hand. In the end the team started to reflect that and quit. The Texans are on the same path with how they come out in games and respond these days. That starts at the top.

And truthfully, being a Boys fan, I'm an equal opportunity basher of Jerry and have alot here but I know where his passion is. I know what he wants....to win. He does questionable things but he has won and still is trying to win. I'm not sure what McNair wants when I see his moves....to me it is to be liked.

JB
12-29-2010, 09:46 PM
You whiffed completely on the point. Wade ran a lazy a soft ship and ruled with a soft hand. In the end the team started to reflect that and quit. The Texans are on the same path with how they come out in games and respond these days. That starts at the top.

And truthfully, being a Boys fan, I'm an equal opportunity basher of Jerry and have alot here but I know where his passion is. I know what he wants....to win. He does questionable things but he has won and still is trying to win. I'm not sure what McNair wants when I see his moves....to me it is to be liked.

I never heard any talk of him being a soft DC. Have you heard different?

HoustonFrog
12-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I never heard any talk of him being a soft DC. Have you heard different?

He was as a HC. That is why Jerry liked him...total departure from Parcells. Camps were smiles and no pads. He has been a good DC for his knowledge of the 3-4 and how he implements it. But as a coach I don't think he is a guy that I'd consider tough.

Norg
12-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Agreed. Starting to get taste of what it was like to be an Aints fan back in the day.

Are we really going to have to wait 16 years to get to the playoffs
:(

JB
12-29-2010, 10:09 PM
He was as a HC. That is why Jerry liked him...total departure from Parcells. Camps were smiles and no pads. He has been a good DC for his knowledge of the 3-4 and how he implements it. But as a coach I don't think he is a guy that I'd consider tough.

Yeah, I don't like him much as a HC, even though he does not have a terrible record. But he has been a very good DC, and that's what we are looking at here.

J_R
12-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Are we really going to have to wait 16 years to get to the playoffs
:(

We're on the right track there ;)

Rey
12-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I don't like him much as a HC, even though he does not have a terrible record. But he has been a very good DC, and that's what we are looking at here.

Under what coaches?

I think the question is whether or not he can be a good D-coordinator under
Kubiak...

The entire team reflects the head coach...

Does not matter who is on the staff if the head coach is not doing as good a job as he should.

Yes Wade has been a good D-coordinator in the past, but can he come here and be effective with Kubiak as the captain of the ship? That is the question...

thunderkyss
12-29-2010, 10:18 PM

I'm not a Cowboys fan & don't pretend to know what went on at the Ranch.

But I find it odd, that Wade's "Marshmallow" camp produced the 9th ranked defense just a year ago, Demarcus Ware's best season (2008), Jay Ratliff, & a number of probowlers...

I'm thinking the Garrett offense/Phillips defense thing didn't work, & wasn't going to work. You had 2 coaches, no head coach, even though Wade carried the title & Jerrah said otherwise..... he created a no win situation, I'm surprised it went on as long as it did.

Carr Bombed
12-29-2010, 10:28 PM

And what good is that hire going to do when we're still bringing back the same shitty head coach?

Picking up Wade and keeping Kubiak is a lateral move for me.....Kubiak will still find a way to lose, because that's what he does. He creates and invents new ways to lose ball games and nothing is going to change as long as he's the head coach here. 2011 will be a lost year for this team, hopefully McNair will finally wake the hell up when it's over and get a real coach in here. The only thing McNair is accomplishing is delaying his team another season from success. Instead of getting a leg up on implementing another system with another head coach who could be successful, he's going status quo and is going to have to end up making a change after next season. Then he's going to have to hire another head coach who won't be able to begin to implement his system until 2012..

HoustonFrog
12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm not a Cowboys fan & don't pretend to know what went on at the Ranch.

But I find it odd, that Wade's "Marshmallow" camp produced the 9th ranked defense just a year ago, Demarcus Ware's best season (2008), Jay Ratliff, & a number of probowlers...

I'm thinking the Garrett offense/Phillips defense thing didn't work, & wasn't going to work. You had 2 coaches, no head coach, even though Wade carried the title & Jerrah said otherwise..... he created a no win situation, I'm surprised it went on as long as it did.

What is surprising about it? I'm not being smart about it but the reason why most national and local(Dallas/Ft. Worth) people like what Garrett did after Wade left was because he started having them wear pads on Wednesdays again and he had them hitting again. Many said it was "Jimmy" like. I never said Wade doesn't know defense. But his personality isn't fiery and he isn't known as tough. He is a good coordinator which means he is an expert at the 3-4. To me if you run a loose ship it catches up with you. It worked for Dallas for a little bit because guys got out under Parcell's thumb but Wade was completely the opposite. It isn't speculation, it is fact that has been discussed for years....light camps. Overall he inherited a team with 3-4 talent through Parcells and made the best of it through the regular season. But they had some huge breakdowns in big games and late in seasons. I just don't know if the Texans are the fit for him and his expertise and I don't think he is a fit with Kubiak.

I agree the situation with Garrett wasn't the best. I don't even know if I like it now. They are still losing close games and making mistakes. They play alot harder and Garrett has the offense working better but overall he is working with guys that aren't his and I don't know if Jerry will give him that choice. I also think Jerry wants to make a splash.

GP
12-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Again, we are among the least penalized teams in 2010.

1. Secondary can't even get near their man in order to pass interfere. WRs and TEs and RBs just blow right by them and find empty spots on the field, catching the ball with nobody near them.

2. Pass rush by d-linemen has been so horrid, there's no need for the o-linemen to hold them. Plus, the QB is getting the ball away easily due to our bad secondary.

3. Arian Foster doesn't need o-linemen to hold for him. He's THAT good.

4. Which leads us to the following penalty scenarios:

A.) Antonio Smith's patented Off-Sides Penalty-Per-Game at critical times, usually late in the game.

B.) Some dumbass on the d-line lining up in the neutral zone. Geniuses!

C.) Some dumbass TE or WR gets busted for not being on the line of scrimmage or for being off the line of scrimmage. How the hell does this continue to happen under Kubiak? I mean, seriously?!?!?

D.) Some dumbass on either side of the ball has to whack someone a little later than he should (That special someone, usually, is a guy whose last name starts with P and ends with ollard). Moulden is good for a holding or block in the back on special teams every now and then, too.

E.) And Kubiak stands there acting like he's developed alzheimers and has NEVER FREAKING SEEN THAT HAPPEN BEFORE!!!!!! DAMNIT! DAMNIT! DAMNIT!

So yeah, we're the least-penalized team because (A) all that crap I said before I went A, B, C, D, E and stuff, and (B) because most of our penalties are just stupid ass crap that is indicative of our stupid ass head coach who is a royal stupid ass.

Yay! We're one of the least-penalized teams in 2010. We're also a bad, bad, VERY BAD defense. But who the hell cares about that? We are winning the penalty stats. Yay.

GP
12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Most of that was for comedic effect, BTW.

Gotta' keep the mood light and airy around here.

ArlingtonTexan
12-29-2010, 11:07 PM
What is surprising about it? I'm not being smart about it but the reason why most national and local(Dallas/Ft. Worth) people like what Garrett did after Wade left was because he started having them wear pads on Wednesdays again and he had them hitting again. Many said it was "Jimmy" like. I never said Wade doesn't know defense. But his personality isn't fiery and he isn't known as tough. He is a good coordinator which means he is an expert at the 3-4. To me if you run a loose ship it catches up with you. It worked for Dallas for a little bit because guys got out under Parcell's thumb but Wade was completely the opposite. It isn't speculation, it is fact that has been discussed for years....light camps. Overall he inherited a team with 3-4 talent through Parcells and made the best of it through the regular season. But they had some hige breakdowns in big games and late in seasons. I just don't know if the Texans are the fit for him and his expertise and I don't think he is a fit with Kubiak.

I agree the situation with Garrett wasn't the best. I don't even know if i like it now. They are still losing close games and making mistakes. The play alot harder and Garrett has the offense working better but overall he is working with guys that aren't his and I don't know if Jerry will give him that choice. I also think Jerry wants to make a splash.

Amen.

thunderkyss
12-30-2010, 07:09 AM
2011 will be a lost year for this team, hopefully McNair will finally wake the hell up when it's over and get a real coach in here. The only thing McNair is accomplishing is delaying his team another season from success.

I agree, if that is in fact what McNair does. But right now, we don't know what he's even thinking.

This is all in response to a McClain article... who's been off-base before.

TheMatrix31
12-30-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm not exactly crazy about retaining Kubiak as the coach, however, I'd be excited at the prospect of having a proven defensive coordinator. It worked for Green Bay when Capers went there. Obviously we know how shitty of a HC he was, but as a DC, he's done very well yet again with Green Bay with McCarthy as a strong offensive mind.

Argh....it's so up in the air. Ugh.

Ole Miss Texan
12-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm not exactly crazy about retaining Kubiak as the coach, however, I'd be excited at the prospect of having a proven defensive coordinator. It worked for Green Bay when Capers went there. Obviously we know how shitty of a HC he was, but as a DC, he's done very well yet again with Green Bay with McCarthy as a strong offensive mind.

Argh....it's so up in the air. Ugh.

Very interesting comparison there, matrix. Forgive me for completely erasing the 2002-2005 seasons out of my head but was Capers a fiery guy? You can't get a much worse record as a HC than we had during his time span... goes to GB, focuses on Defense and Defense only and finds much success.

GuerillaBlack
12-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Not sure if that omparison works. McCarthy is a better HC than Kubiak, imo.

Mike Kerns
12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Nothing new, but he just tweeted this again:

I believe Gary Kubiak will return for his 6th year and that Wade Phillips will be his new defensive coordinator.

Blech.

Rey
12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Very interesting comparison there, matrix. Forgive me for completely erasing the 2002-2005 seasons out of my head but was Capers a fiery guy? You can't get a much worse record as a HC than we had during his time span... goes to GB, focuses on Defense and Defense only and finds much success.

Only thing is that McCarthy is the head coach there...

Double Barrel
12-30-2010, 11:53 AM

It's not his coaching style that I'm referring to but the product on the field. This team is soft as fresh puppy poop, and the 8 losses out of the last 9 games proves the point. They cannot close games and never dominate opponents not named Rusty Smith, and those are clear signs of soft teams in the NFL.

5 years into Kubiak's tenure and this franchise is marshmallow. 5-7 four seasons in a row? Yeah, that's a hard, tough team right there...obviously sarcasm. :whistle:

Mr teX
12-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Truthfully, HC's are only as good as the qb's they have which to be honest, kubiak's tenure here says more about schaub than it does about kubiak. Look around the league. With rare exception , the guys regarded as the best coaches are more often those who have great qb's. Some had a hand in bringing those qb's in other inherited.

Belichick - Brady
Tomlin - Rothlisberger
Smith - Ryan
McCarthy - Rodgers
Peyton - Brees
Reid - Vick

The only real exceptions to this are Turner/Rivers & Caldwell/Manning but it should be noted that these 2 have been so good that it has drawn attention (to some degree) away from the HC's.

When you also consider coaches who have taken a step back or some of the mystique was peeled away after they lost said star qb or something else related to the star qb...(whisenhunt, Ryan) It's pretty obvious that qb's more often than not make their HC's, not the other way around.

& for the most part this is true with us. Schaub hasn't been top teir, but he's been ok to pretty good at times - mediocore if you will & thus that's where we sit.

dalemurphy
12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, John McClain has jumped on board and is now predicting Phillips will be hired to coach the defense. Richard Justice is predicting Kubiak will stay. Bum Phillips (Wade’s daddy) was at practice yesterday. So, I think it is clear that some people within the Texan organization are seriously looking at this option (keeping Kubiak and bringing in Phillips as D.C.). Battle Red Blog has done a good job tracing the events and how they may point to the Phillips hiring. I’m satisfied to know that this is a possibility and something worth looking at the next few days as we wait to see what unfolds next week. I would like to add a couple things to the Battle Red article in support of this rumor. First, McNair is a deliberate man and is unlikely to radically change his opinion on a man over the course of one season. While there were some fans that doubted Kubiak last season, McNair did not. There was conjecture that Kubiak could’ve been fired last season. Instead, McNair tried to extend Kubiak for four years (Kubiak took three to match his assistants). As disappointed as McNair surely is, I think he would see reversing field on Kubiak this quickly to be reactionary. If you remember the 2005 season, even after that utter fiasco, McNair brought in a respected consultant (Dan Reeves) to offer advice before he made any moves. Secondly, there is the financial reality that Kubiak has two years left on his contract, as do the assistant coaches,and, the owners are facing a lockout. Realizing that fact, I am sure he is exploring alternatives to dismissing the entire staff.

Kubiak’s strengths and weaknesses have been debated on this blog and others. Most fans want him gone. So, I’m not interested in debating that any further. Does he “deserve” another year? As Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven, “deserve’s got nothin’ to do with it”. I’m not interested in that debate either. What I would like to look at is Wade Phillips replacing Frank Bush as the new defensive coordinator and what effect he would likely have on the Texans defense and the team, in general. At this point, I think that it is even money that our reality for the 2011 season will be Gary Kubiak as head coach and Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator.

Matt and Adam, from Sportstalk 790, compiled a nice summary of Wade Phillips’ career as defensive coordinator. I question some of their conclusions (like Mario would need to be traded), but the following information is well laid out and very helpful:

Denver Broncos (Key Players: Karl Mecklenburg, Tom Jackson, Steve Atwater, Rulon Jones, Simon Fletcher)

1986: 15th in points, 9 in yards. 48 sacks, 35 forced turnovers

1987: 7th in points, 9 in yards. 31 sacks, 47 forced turnovers

1988: 20th in points 22nd in yards. 36 sacks, 29 forced turnovers

1989: 1st in points 3rd in yards. 46 sacks, 43 turnovers

1990: 23rd in points 20th in yards. 33 sacks, 25 turnovers

1991: 3rd in points, 5th in yards. 52 sacks, 33 turnovers

1992: 19th in points, 22th in yards. 49 sacks, 31 turnovers

1993: 10th in points, 19th in yards. 46 sacks, 31 turnovers

1994: 25th in points, 28th in yards. 23 sacks, 21 turnovers

Buffalo Bills (Key Players: Bruce Smith, Cornerlius Bennet, Daryl Talley, Sam Cowart)

1995: 12th in points, 13th in yards. 49 sacks, 28 turnovers

1996: 6th in points, 9th in yards. 48 sacks, 28 turnovers

1997: 23rd points, 9th in yards. 46 sacks, 22 turnovers

1998: 15th points, 6 in yards. 43 sacks, 31 turnovers

1999: 2nd points, 1 in yards. 37 sacks, 21 turnovers

2000: 18th points, 3 in yards. 42 sacks, 29 turnovers

READ THE REST HERE (http://www.texansbullblog.com/wade-phillips-rumor-picks-steam/news/)

GuerillaBlack
12-30-2010, 03:11 PM
And again I have to say that the lockout stuff is so overblown. Look at how many coaches were fired during the season this year, and those with the potential of being fired after the season.

Mr teX
12-30-2010, 03:42 PM
And again I have to say that the lockout stuff is so overblown. Look at how many coaches were fired during the season this year, and those with the potential of being fired after the season.

Just b/c some teams went on ahead & fired their coach doesn't mean that they won't suffer any of the consequences some are predicting with this lockout business looming. Considering that right after the draft the lockout will start & there can be no player-coach contact. & even if you hurry up & hire your coach & his coaches before this happens, depending on how long the lockout takes, the new coach likely won't have enough time to install his system by the time the new season is ready to start.....That's not even including the draft & negotiating 1st round draft pick contracts..That makes for alot of bad football being played.

It is a very valid concern for owners especially if you consider fans like us who are thirsty as hell for a winner.

Revolution
12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Wade Phillips

Mario is perfect for the 3-4...

Brisco_County
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Coaches getting fired during the regular season doesn't matter. The new coaches still have time to implement their system. What matters is the offseason.

Mario is perfect for the 3-4...

I really think our front seven is almost perfect for a 3-4. Think about it: Our future NT getting double teamed, Mario getting double teamed, and no one to stop Barwin off the edge. Their TE would be assigned to Cushing.

TheMatrix31
12-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Capers wasn't that fiery. He was complacent and inflexible. As predictable as we are now, I remember being even more predictable when Capers was running the show.

He had a history of being a good DC before coming to Houston as HC also. Same thing with Phillips. Much better DC than HC.

GuerillaBlack
12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Coaches getting fired during the regular season doesn't matter. The new coaches still have time to implement their system. What matters is the offseason.

You're assuming that all of the coaches they have now will be the coaches next season.

GP
12-30-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't think McClain knows what he's saying.

He probably saw that Bum was going to meet with Bob, and is going with that meeting as proof of what he's theorizing will happen.

thunderkyss
12-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't think McClain knows what he's saying.

He probably saw that Bum was going to meet with Bob, and is going with that meeting as proof of what he's theorizing will happen.

You guys can debate what McClain says all you want. You can read the Bum Phillips-flavor infused tea leaves all you want. You can even think McNair is too sentimental and can't pull the trigger. Go ahead.

I'm sticking to my theory. All the way to Monday. I don't think McNair can talk himself into either (a) allowing the team to suffer through a Lame Duck season under Kubiak, since his deal is over after 2011, nor can he (b) pull the trigger on an extension to keep him here through 2012.

Gary contract runs through the 2012 season. His original contract would have been over this year, he would have been a lame duck, without the three year extension.

houstonhurricane
12-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I don;t think McClain knows what he's saying.

I am worried that McNair still believes that Kubiak is the guy and simply is willing to take the gamble - and if things were to head south next season they could ride the negative wave for one last year or even turn the reigns over to Phillips mid-season. I hope not.

One of the things that you raise that most people are not discussing is what an absolute disaster things will be next year if they keep Kubiak, add Phillips and the team still underperforms. The fan revolt would be incredible as would the negative local and national press coverage - especially if "proven" commodities such as Cowher and Gruden are no longer availble. 2011 would not just be "do or die" for Kubiak - it would be "do or die" for the near-term health and vitality of the franchise/brand. That is a huge risk to take...

97roc
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Here is why Gary Kubiak will be fired after Sunday:

This? Can someone confirm this or some other decision on the current regime will take place on the so called Black Monday??? If some wrecking ball, and public notification of, starts rolling, surely it will take place no later than monday, right?!?

GP
12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Gary contract runs through the 2012 season. His original contract would have been over this year, he would have been a lame duck, without the three year extension.

Yeah, I just ran head-on into that realization in the other thread.

I didn't factor in that they extended him and there was one more year that actually made it a three-year type of deal.

Was thinking he re-constructed his contract so that his contract was up after 2011.

Majorly bummed now.

houstonhurricane
12-30-2010, 08:53 PM
This? Can someone confirm this or some other decision on the current regime will take place on the so called Black Monday??? If some wrecking ball, and public notification of, starts rolling, surely it will take place no later than monday, right?!?

They will have an end of the season presser on Monday after our glorious 6-10 finish to announce that Wade Phillips will join the team as DC. They know they must act fast to try and appease the masses before folks check out.

J_R
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
McClain: Kubiak expected back, Phillips to be hired as DC, Gibbs/Bush to be fired. Possible DB candidate is Brian Stewart. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7360542.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter)

b0ng
12-30-2010, 09:53 PM
McClain: Kubiak expected back, Phillips to be hired as DC, Gibbs/Bush to be fired. Possible DB candidate is Brian Stewart. (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7360542.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter)

Gun to my head, and totally guessing, I'd say this is the most likely scenario. We are facepalm ready though:

:kubepalm:
:wadepalm: