PDA

View Full Version : Frank Bush was out shutting the bar down Saturday night

nero THE zero
12-28-2010, 11:50 AM
From Sean Pendergast's blog (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/12/kubiak_questions_bush.php?page=2):

3. What is your policy on curfews for your coaching staff?
I ask this quite simply because I was out in Denver late Saturday night before the Broncos game at a very respectable local establishment, enjoying a few beverages with friends, and your defensive coordinator Frank Bush was there until close (around 2 a.m.), just like me. To be VERY clear, Bush didn't appear to be doing anything Deadspin-worthy, he was just socializing with people and appeared to be enjoying himself. Like the rest of us.

However, he's not like the rest of us. He's the defensive coordinator for your team and the game is in twelve hours.

So that's why I'm asking you, Gary -- is this normal? Is it okay for coaches to be out the night before a game (even drinking a club soda) until two in the morning? If it is, then Frank Bush wasn't doing anything wrong according to your rules. If it's not, then the guy you've taken bullet after bullet for all season long was very publicly breaking your rules.

This is not meant to stir controversy, I truly am curious if this is acceptable. Are NFL teams good with coaches going out the night before one of the sixteen biggest days of the company's year as if they're traveling for pleasure? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Regardless, something is seriously wrong, Gary -- either with your rules if they allow for this, or with Frank Bush's adherence to them if they don't. Seriously wrong, and let me tell you why.

Let's pretend I'm a Texans season ticket holder (and, in fact, I was at the bar with people who are season ticket holders). I spend three or four grand a year on my seats to see a product that has been severely flawed for virtually its entire existence. This season the defense is performing at an historically terrible level to the point where, if you had to create a Mount Rushmore for Houston Texans Franchise Failure, then Frank Bush's face would be etched alongside David Carr, Charley Casserly, and Brian Cushing's attorney.

And when I say "historically terrible," I'm saying so with nary a hint of hyperbole. The passing yards allowed, the late-game comebacks surrendered, this defense is a punch line. It's not the only reason that 2010 has been a colossal failure, but it's easily the biggest reason. And said failure by the defense has infected the psyche of the city, and put people's jobs at risk.

Hell, it's put you at risk, Gary. It's a joke.

So again, pretend I'm a Texans season ticket holder, and twelve hours before kickoff I'm closing out my bar tab simultaneously with the guy who coordinates my team's defense. Forgive me, but even if he were just there drinking water (which he may have been), this would piss me off. I can tell you, it pissed off the actual season ticket holders sitting with me.

Frank Bush should be doing one of two things at 2:00 a.m. in Denver the night before a game -- sleeping or figuring out a way to stop the Broncos. Gary, at 5-10, if your system allows for anything other than that late at night before a game, I think it's broken. Badly.

Some will argue (and some have actually argued with me over the last two days) that there have been plenty of us who have been out too late the night before work. My response to this? Fair enough, but if any of us were performing our jobs as poorly as Frank Bush, we'd have been fired at the bye week.

Also, comparing a random sales call or a morning radio show to an NFL game is comparing apples and bowling balls. The self-esteem of your entire city and the welfare of your team and indirectly several other businesses (sponsors and sports bars, to name two) ride on YOUR performance, Gary. You and your staff. There are EIGHT road games a year in the NFL -- this is a night that Bush has to go out? He can't hold off for one of the 357 other nights this year?

Is it out of line for me to draw a correlation between the judgment of someone who doesn't understand the perception of a team leader being in a bar twelve hours before kickoff and the judgment of someone coordinating the 32nd-ranked pass defense in the NFL? Someone whose defense allowed one of the least NFL ready rookie quarterbacks in recent memory to throw for over 300 yards? I don't think it is.

I'm only asking because, as a fan (and every fan I've spoken with about this agrees), I would draw the same correlation for a head coach whose rulebook allows the latitude for their staff to be out that late and a 5-10 record.

So which is it, Gary? At 10-5, I really wouldn't care. What you're doing would be considered "working." But you're 5-10, and like it or not, all of this scrutiny is fair. All three of my questions are fair.

Your system is broken, Gary. The process is a mess. Your team gravitates to failure. And now there are signs that your staff lacks either self-awareness or discipline.

And you hired all of them.

You want to stay for 2011, Gary. But we need answers.

DonnyMost
12-28-2010, 11:52 AM
If I were Frank Bush I'd need a drink, too.

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Directed at the blogger, lame.

JB
12-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Directed at the blogger, lame.

Why is it lame?

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Why is it lame?

Did you read it?

DonnyMost
12-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Did you read it?

I read it.

Pretty intriguing questions that I wish Kubiak would answer candidly, instead of just prattling on about those kids, how good they are, and how they're gonna battlefight.

Dan B.
12-28-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm pretty sure we'd be calling for Schaub's head if he were out until 2 the night before a game. Why should coaches be held to a different standard?

HoustonFrog
12-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I enjoy Cablinasian's blogs this year. His Texans Mad-Libs was hilarious. I think his questions are legit too. I think at this point anything is fair game and it seems to me that it is a sinking ship with many people throwing up their arms and saying "who cares."

disaacks3
12-28-2010, 12:09 PM
2:00am....an early game, yes, be angry. A 3:15pm game? Not so much.

Mr. White
12-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Look for Frank Bush to be working for the Raiders next year, where closing out the bar is in the job description.

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure we'd be calling for Schaub's head if he were out until 2 the night before a game. Why should coaches be held to a different standard?

Of course one should be angry about a player being out past curfew. Having a club soda until 2 am for a coach, no big deal. If this standard were to be applied to all coaches it would make one's head spin.

The fail that Bush has put before us speaks volumes, this is simply a canard that means nothing for the firing that will drop next week.

Lucky
12-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Why is it lame?
Because it's tantamount to stalking. It's guerrilla journalism. For all we know, Pendergast followed Bush to the bar in order to create a hack job.

As a fan, do you really give a flying flip what the coaches or players do prior to a game? Do you want to be judged on your activities on your time off work? The only things that should matter to you are the results. And if their actions put your team (and your city) in a bad light.

Even the blogger admits this wouldn't matter if the team were 10-5. So, it shouldn't matter if they are 5-10.

What matters is that they are 5-10. So dump their collective ass.

GP
12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
LOL.

Maybe Frank Bush knows his butt is gone. So why not go have a few the night before? Might as well have a little fun before he gets canned.

I don't think this is why we suck, but I do think his behavior indicates he doesn't give a crap about people's perception of his job performance.

Then again, does any person on the Texans staff really care about a fan's perception of how they do their job? They either know that McNair is going to go one more year with them, or they know they're pretty much all headed out the door.

Therefore, things like Frank Bush closing down the bar...or Gary Kubiak acting like a sissy in pressers...etc.... is just a reflection of either knowing they are done and not caring anymore, or knowing they are safe and just want to move on to the off-season and get out of this current reg season.

I think that's a fair analysis.

Runner
12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Of course one should be angry about a player being out past curfew. Having a club soda until 2 am for a coach, no big deal. If this standard were to be applied to all coaches it would make one's head spin.

The fail that Bush has put before us speaks volumes, this is simply a canard that means nothing for the firing that will drop next week.

Agreed. This means absolutely nothing to the Texans performance on the field.

GP
12-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Something that I find funny is how some people are trying to look suave and cool and all gentlemanly-like by saying "club soda."

It was a bar. It was 2 a.m.

Is there THAT big of a stigma, about drinking alcohol, that we have to skirt the topic and avoid an overt reference to him drinking alcohol at 2 a.m., in a bar, etc.?

I don't care if he was drinking Battle Red Koolaid and smoking Virginia Slims cigarettes. This doesn't explain why we suck. Instead, it shows that Bush has some sort of justification/rationalizing line of thinking about how it's not going to matter if people spot him in a bar at 2 a.m. before the game.

I just view it as his way of giving himself a little "going away party" before the final regular season game of his Texans career.

Cheers, Frankie!

:clink:

DX-TEX
12-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Completely unacceptable.

NitroGSXR
12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
This is not out of the ordinary. After personally working the nightclub shift for years... I've seen my share of people bent where they probably shouldn't be but I don't think it's worth getting all bent out of shape over. Only people I've ever seen out-of-control drunk before games were Jeff Bagwell and Charles Barkley (more often than not). They're all grown men.

Norg
12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
If i was frank bush i would be drinking heavily 2

Frank should just resign turn in his coaching card and go back home

Honoring Earl 34
12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Maybe he was looking to do some Patron with VY ?

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Maybe he was looking to do some Patron with VY ?

A grown man of 47 years old was having a club soda. :kubepalm:

ChampionTexan
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Yep, this is like having a car with a failed transmission, and throwing a tantrum because there's a headlight out. What you're complaining about may technically be accurate, but it doesn't matter, and you come across as a dick.

HoustonFrog
12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Here is my only issue with this.......

I think a man's business is a man's business. I don't care if it was club soda or his 30th beer. I like drinks too. Hopefully it wasn't wine coolers. BUT

If I were a guy who had done a crappy job for a year and I was probably getting fired...I might make the resume look better for a future stint by keeping my head down and giving the look of someone that cares. To me it is more of what I would do in his shoes vs if he is a bad dude for doing it. I'd keep it to the vest and be the busy bee until I secured employment. JMO.

Honoring Earl 34
12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
A grown man of 47 years old was having a club soda. :kubepalm:

If I was on the Titanic , I'd be at the bar . :shots:

I might even be doing the Pitino .

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2010, 01:17 PM
I might even be doing the Pitino .

The Pitino dance ain't for everybody

Only the sexy people

So all you fly mothers, get on out there and dance

Dance, I said!

ChampionTexan
12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Here is my only issue with this.......

I think a man's business is a man's business. I don't care if it was club soda or his 30th beer. I like drinks too. Hopefully it wasn't wine coolers. BUT

If I were a guy who had done a crappy job for a year and I was probably getting fired...I might make the resume look better for a future stint by keeping my head down and giving the look of someone that cares. To me it is more of what I would do in his shoes vs if he is a bad dude for doing it. I'd keep it to the vest and be the busy bee until I secured employment. JMO.

Yeah, but Frank Bush's resume taking a ding impacts exactly nobody on this board, or in the fan base. The only one it impacts is Bush personally - that's why it makes Pendergast look like a tool (IMO)

HoustonFrog
12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, but Frank Bush's resume taking a ding impacts exactly nobody on this board, or in the fan base. The only one it impacts is Bush personally - that's why it makes Pendergast look like a tool (IMO)

True. I just was giving an opinion of what I might do to keep myself employed down the road. Overall drinks in a bar get a thumbs up from me. I'd prefer that he was all liquored up and having fun.:)

Maddict5
12-28-2010, 01:25 PM
he was prob only meeting up with family/friends from when he worked in denver...

no big deal, he wasnt drunk, theres nothing you can do on a saturday night. all the works been done during the week.

to sum it up- nothing to see here

Texan_Bill
12-28-2010, 01:27 PM
2:00am....an early game, yes, be angry. A 3:15pm game? Not so much.

This ^^^^.

And this vvvv

he was prob only meeting up with family/friends from when he worked in denver...

no big deal, he wasnt drunk, theres nothing you can do on a saturday night. all the works been done during the week.

GuerillaBlack
12-28-2010, 01:30 PM
I honestly don't care since Bush is gone after the season anyway. Ain't like he was doing anything anyway.

Seņor Stan
12-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Hopefully it wasn't wine coolers.

Word has it that it was a Zima.

steelbtexan
12-28-2010, 01:37 PM

^^^^
This, with that said and I knew I was getting fired in 2 weeks and was coaching the worst pass defense in NFL history in 12 hrs. I would probably be drinking heavily too.

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
^^^^
This, with that said and I knew I was getting fired in 2 weeks and was coaching the worst pass defense in NFL history in 12 hrs. I would probably be drinking heavily too.

Drinking club soda heavily?

Texan_Bill
12-28-2010, 01:43 PM

:spit: That's funny right there.

steelbtexan
12-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Drinking club soda heavily?

With vodka and a twist of lime.

Big Lou
12-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Explains why the D played decent in the first half, he was too hung over to call the plays and some one else was calling the show. Then in the second half he came out of it and took over the D!!!!!!!!!!!!

m5kwatts
12-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Is it possible the guy only needs a good 6 hours of sleep a night?

And what does this have to do with him being a terrible defensive coordinator?

If we could find a coordinator who could produce a top 10 defense for the Texans, I wouldn't care if he was in a bar doing blow off of a transvestites butt 6 hours before kickoff.

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2010, 02:11 PM

If we could find a coordinator who could produce a top 10 defense for the Texans, I wouldn't care if he was in a bar doing blow off of a transvestites butt 6 hours before kickoff.

But what would the kids think? :)

97roc
12-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Is there a VY joke in there?

Dutchrudder
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
If you put in the work, and dedicate yourself, your team will reflect that.

Staying up till 2am in a bar is not what I think any playoff contending coach is doing the night before a game, or the few days leading up to a game. Do that Sunday night after the game, or Monday knowing you have Tuesday off. What a joke, this completely explains the lack of preparation for game days. I don't care if he's out there with Scarlett Johansen, there is no excuse for this sort of behavior. This is the lax mentality we have seen all year encapsulated into one night.

MFG16
12-28-2010, 03:19 PM

So the entire front office was out with old friends??? :kitten:

Hervoyel
12-28-2010, 03:59 PM
It's the kind of thing that means everything to people who read about it when the team is doing as poorly as they are now and nothing if we're winning. That's why I can't get really upset about it.

I'm not thrilled about it but at the same time you can look at the Texans defense objectively and safely say that more than just a few late nights at the bar went into making that bunch the pile of shit they are this year. They didn't get that way and play that way on gameday just because their coach stayed out too late and is feeling a bit groggy or hungover (if he was drinking). They got that way after a lot of worthless practices and pointless meetings (possibly). They got that way because they're lazy and undisciplined (possibly) and they have no real respect for their DC or HC (possibly).

You don't take players good enough to play in the NFL and make a unit that bad overnight. This is a piece worthy of "Dick" Justice.

sakebomb
12-28-2010, 04:43 PM

John Clayton is reporting that there was a cherry jolly rancher in it.

TheMatrix31
12-28-2010, 04:45 PM
One big "who cares", in my opinion.

texansdrummer
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Are we the Utah Texans?

Do you seriously think that FB could actually improve his results by devoting that particular time to something other than drinking? Doubtful.....

HJam72
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Maybe he coaches better when he's drunk. :kubepalm:

Wolf
12-28-2010, 04:51 PM
If he wasn't drinking, so may he has a foot fetish and was checking out feet (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78733)

texansdrummer
12-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Maybe he coaches better when he's drunk. :kubepalm:

It's worth a shot.:kubepalm:

Playoffs
12-28-2010, 06:24 PM
If I were Frank Bush I'd need a drink, too.Bush should have put the bottle down and picked up some tips from his peers.

Koolaid Time
12-28-2010, 06:24 PM
It's the kind of thing that means everything to people who read about it when the team is doing as poorly as they are now and nothing if we're winning. That's why I can't get really upset about it.

I'm not thrilled about it but at the same time you can look at the Texans defense objectively and safely say that more than just a few late nights at the bar went into making that bunch the pile of shit they are this year. They didn't get that way and play that way on gameday just because their coach stayed out too late and is feeling a bit groggy or hungover (if he was drinking). They got that way after a lot of worthless practices and pointless meetings (possibly). They got that way because they're lazy and undisciplined (possibly) and they have no real respect for their DC or HC (possibly).

You don't take players good enough to play in the NFL and make a unit that bad overnight. This is a piece worthy of "Dick" Justice.

Remember when Dan Pastorini wrapped his car around a tree in Memorial Park in the middle of the night right before a game?

thunderkyss
12-28-2010, 08:19 PM
If I were Frank Bush I'd need a drink, too.

No Mario, No Demeco, No Barwin, No Bullman, Wilson/Nolan/Barber are my best FS.......

& they give me Damien Lewis to solve all my problems....

I'm surprised he left at 2:00am.

Texan_Bill
12-28-2010, 08:23 PM
No Mario, No Demeco, No Barwin, No Bullman, Wilson/Nolan/Barber are my best FS.......

& they give me Damien Lewis to solve all my problems....

I'm surprised he left at 2:00am.

The bar closed at 2:00.... He had no choice. :kitten:

texanhead08
12-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Well this would explain why our defense looks so well prepared. I guess thats where he learns the technique they teach our DB's to be in the opposite zip code when a pass is thrown their way. I bet the CB falling down was acquired in those bars as well.

IDEXAN
12-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't blame Bush for tossing down a couple Saturday night in Denver, because Denvers a fun town, and really a great city. The only complaint I've got about this story is that it didn't also report a Kubiak sighting at the Mile High watering-hole ?