PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade...

RagingBull
12-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Matt Schaub plus our first round draft pick for the first overall pick to get Andrew Luck?

Makes sense for Carolina as they just spent a second on Claussen last year and he is not ready yet. They would get a proven NFL quaterback. We would get a guy that may turn out to be the next John Elway.

ArlingtonTexan
12-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Why wouldn't Carolina want the "next" John Elway?

RagingBull
12-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Because he might not be the next John Elway, they need more players, and they would still get a top 10 pick in addition to Schaub.

HJam72
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Because he might not be the next John Elway, they need more players, and they would still get a top 10 pick in addition to Schaub.

Well, if he's not the next John Elway, then why would we want him? :stirpot:

I thought we just proved that Tim Tebow is the next John Elway. :)

HOU-TEX
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Would Luck be able to put up 30+ points a game? How about trading Schaub for a NFL caliber defense?

Pantherstang84
12-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Getting the #1 overall pick is not a quick fix for this franchise. Schaub's mistakes are magnified because he is the QB. However, Schaub is NOT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM on this team. Let's fix the most glaring problems first... Culture, defense, scouting department, coaching staff before selling the farm to draft what could be the next (HWNBNOTB or John Elway) rookie QB. :kubepalm:

RagingBull
12-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Well, if he's not the next John Elway, then why would we want him? :stirpot:

I thought we just proved that Tim Tebow is the next John Elway. :)

I think we proved Tebow is the next VY.

HJam72
12-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Would Luck be able to put up 30+ points a game? How about trading Schaub for a NFL caliber defense?

I could go for that one. :kubepalm:

hookinreds
12-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Getting the #1 overall pick is not a quick fix for this franchise. Schaub's mistakes are magnified because he is the QB. However, Schaub is NOT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM on this team. Let's fix the most glaring problems first... Culture, defense, scouting department, coaching staff before selling the farm to draft what could be the next (HWNBNOTB or John Elway) rookie QB. :kubepalm:

Spot on.

I'm betting Luck stays for his last year anyway. We get a new coach, new attitude, bring in some D vets FAs, and address the defense bigtime. Our O can manage to win games as it stands, if our D could just compete. Schaub is not our issue and certainly not worth addressing.

HOU-TEX
12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Spot on.

I'm betting Luck stays for his last year anyway. We get a new coach, new attitude, bring in some D vets FAs, and address the defense bigtime. Our O can manage to win games as it stands, if our D could just compete. Schaub is not our issue and certainly not worth addressing.

Luck might be different, but considering the CBA situation I'd think most under-classmen would want to come out. Odds are, the 2011 draft will likely be the last without a rookie salary cap.

Honoring Earl 34
12-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Being that we've had the 1st pick twice , I'd say no thanks .

Hervoyel
12-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm not voting in that poll because I didn't see my choice there. If I had it would have read something like "No, because that's not good value for Schaub plus our #1"

Look, Schaub has issues but he can be an effective starting QB for probably a majority of the teams in the league (including us if we'd start putting him better positions and stop asking him to do things he's not particularly good at doing). I'm not giving him plus our 1 for the top overall pick. We'd be getting fleeced in that deal.

Porky
12-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. Yes, Schaub has a medicore arm, but I think a lot of his issues this year are because he is always under max pressure from his own defense.

I think we can win with Schaub. I don't think he is elite, but with a good group of guys around him on offense and a much improved defense I think he is good enough.

Now, would I like to see some real competition for his spot? You bet. That's one of the issues on this team - too many players feel safe. We need to ratchet up the competition at all spots on the team. Nobody other than Andre Johnson should feel his spot is totally secure in 2011.

beerlover
12-27-2010, 11:10 AM
in a heart beat.

would also be aggressive in pursuit of Andrew Lucks HC Jim Harbaugh.

kill two birds with one stone :)

nut
12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Schaub is a decent top 10-15 QB. Andrew Luck could turn out to be unbelievable though. We have stunk for so long, I would be interested in at least considering the trade.

disaacks3
12-27-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm not voting in that poll because I didn't see my choice there. If I had it would have read something like "No, because that's not good value for Schaub plus our #1"

Look, Schaub has issues but he can be an effective starting QB for probably a majority of the teams in the league (including us if we'd start putting him better positions and stop asking him to do things he's not particularly good at doing). I'm not giving him plus our 1 for the top overall pick. We'd be getting fleeced in that deal. What HE said.

hookinreds
12-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Luck might be different, but considering the CBA situation I'd think most under-classmen would want to come out. Odds are, the 2011 draft will likely be the last without a rookie salary cap.

Your right, I keep forgetting about this being the last uncapped rookie salary year.

kiwitexansfan
12-27-2010, 11:17 AM
You'd probably be paying Luck more than Schaub, and you really don't KNOW what your paying for.

Porky
12-27-2010, 11:18 AM
in a heart beat.

would also be aggressive in pursuit of Andrew Lucks HC Jim Harbaugh.

kill two birds with one stone :)

Can Luck play corner or safety? :kubepalm:

hookinreds
12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Schaub is a decent top 10-15 QB. Andrew Luck could turn out to be unbelievable though. We have stunk for so long, I would be interested in at least considering the trade.

Right...Schaub isn't a "put the team on my shoulders and I'll drive it 90 for the win" quarterback, but if you give him the case of characters to work with, he becomes above average in my eyes.

Honoring Earl 34
12-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Next year you'll have Tate back to pair with Foster . Schaub and Johnson have good chemistry . They need some beef in the interior of the OL and focus on the D .

Thorn
12-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Anybody for the right deal is trade bait. But for me, in order to trade a proven NFL QB, I'd want a lot more than just swapping 1st round picks for a QB that MIGHT, repeat MIGHT, be a good NFL QB.

As everyone keeps saying, and I also believe it, Schaub is not the problem. It's coaching.

El Tejano
12-27-2010, 11:24 AM
I think Schaub is our guy for the next two or three years as long as he's putting up numbers. In fact, I would do the opposite in a trade with our first rounder. I would trade out of the first round to pick up more picks. Our team has never done anything with it outside of Andre Johnson so why not pick up more picks.

Then you draft a QB late to groom.

kiwitexansfan
12-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Can Luck play corner or safety? :kubepalm:

But our defense is struggling because of our offense only being top 5 in the league.

DX-TEX
12-27-2010, 01:05 PM
But our defense is struggling because of our offense only being top 5 in the league.

What tha...:bravo:

steelbtexan
12-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Love Schaub,

But Luck is the real deal.

Better than Bradford on par with Ryan. IMHO

Maddict5
12-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Right...Schaub isn't a "put the team on my shoulders and I'll drive it 90 for the win" quarterback, but if you give him the case of characters to work with, he becomes above average in my eyes.

ya...apart from the times when he has actually done that-(spitballing off the top of my head) v miami x2 the last few yrs, v the ravens (albeit to tie not win), v GB, v the redskins, v the chiefs, v pats, v titans

Old School
12-27-2010, 01:18 PM

ya...apart from the times when he has actually done that-(spitballing off the top of my head) v miami x2 the last few yrs, v the ravens (albeit to tie not win), v GB, v the redskins, v the chiefs, v pats, v titans

No kidding. I saw that post and was like "Where have you been all season?".

:wadepalm: Because the original post was not worthy of a Kubiak facepalm

steelbtexan
12-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Next year you'll have Tate back to pair with Foster . Schaub and Johnson have good chemistry . They need some beef in the interior of the OL and focus on the D .

Would you be willing to trade Foster for the Packers or Pats 1st rd pick?

Ward has looked pretty good and a RB corps of Ward/Tate/Late rd pick doesn't look to bad.

That pick could be used to help improve the defense.

Foster's going to get paid this offseason.

RagingBull
12-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I say no on trading Foster. I would trade Tate for another pick or player though. I am not sure about the Schaub deal. I like him a lot and think we can win with him but he is not special. I was just curious what the overall board opinion was since I keep seeing so many posts lumping Schaub in with Kubiak as part of the problem. Obviously there is not going to be anyone available by free agency that most people would rather have. Therefore, the only logical move if we are going to get rid of Schaub would be to draft a new quarterback, and Luck is the obvious favorite.

Norg
12-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Uhh naw the #1 pick is to risky these days most teams dont want that pick so i say no

PHAROAH
12-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Matt Shaub has great stats based on the west coast offense that he plays in and he is throwing to the Top WR in the NFL so throw out the stats in this case. Matt Shaub is not a leader and he consistantly throw int's in key situations and never win big games so yes I would consider a trade up to get the top QB in the draft but is that likely no it isn't as the front office is sold on him as the franchise QB. How about drafting another WR opposite Andre Johnson who can help out the offense and spending the rest on the defense and in free agency get some DB's who can play. I would love to see the Texans draft WR- AJ Green since we will be drafting in the top 10.

Texanmike02
12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Matt Shaub has great stats based on the west coast offense that he plays in and he is throwing to the Top WR in the NFL so throw out the stats in this case.
Except that he had almost 5k passing yards last year and has over 4k this year. That is not a "system" stat.

Matt Shaub is not a leader and he consistantly throw int's in key situations and never win big games
You realize that he can't stop the other team from scoring, right? He hasn't played in any big games thanks to the defense. I can think of two key INTs that he's thrown, maybe 3... care to point to any more? I bet that he has led us to more comebacks, only to watch the defense give them away, than he's thrown key ints.

so yes I would consider a trade up to get the top QB in the draft but is that likely no it isn't as the front office is sold on him as the franchise QB. How about drafting another WR opposite Andre Johnson who can help out the offense and spending the rest on the defense and in free agency get some DB's who can play. I would love to see the Texans draft WR- AJ Green since we will be drafting in the top 10.

Why would you go after the first pick in the draft? The contract will be ridiculous and you'll have a guy who may go Alex Smith/HWWNBM on us.

Mike

beerlover
12-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Why would you go after the first pick in the draft? The contract will be ridiculous and you'll have a guy who may go Alex Smith/HWWNBM on us.

Mike

because this ain't working, it's ridiculous watching Texans find new ways to lose games they should win.

we need a change of Luck http://tommeltonscouting.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/andrew-luck-pic.jpg

DX-TEX
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Do you people who are screaming to get rid of Schaub realize HE would be one of the reasons for Cowher coming here?

3 things that Cowher wants in a franchise to return:

1) Stable family ownership
2) Full control over decisions
3) An established starting QB

The ones who are screaming for Schaubs head I hope are not also clamoring for Cowher because you just keep contradicting yourself.

IMO, Scahub is fine. He has shown a lot of guts and leadership this year but is restrained by Kubiaks control. He proved himself to me in the 2nd half of that Ravens game. He was calling the shots on offense and he wore down and shredded one of the best defenses in the league. As soon as OT started Kubiak called the shots and we all saw the results.

Ryan
12-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Not just no, but hell no. Schaub should be the least of our worries right about now. His mistakes get drawn out more and more because our defense constantly puts him in a hole that he usually claws his way out of.

He has a great thing going with Andre and the other guys, and you want to completely try to re-establish that with a new and unproven qb?

Thanks but no thanks. In fact this deserves a :kubepalm:

RagingBull
12-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Do you people who are screaming to get rid of Schaub realize HE would be one of the reasons for Cowher coming here?

3 things that Cowher wants in a franchise to return:

1) Stable family ownership
2) Full control over decisions
3) An established starting QB

The ones who are screaming for Schaubs head I hope are not also clamoring for Cowher because you just keep contradicting yourself.

Cowher is not the only guy. Harbaugh could come from Stanford and might want to keep his QB1.

I think there are a lot of possible solutions that could fix our probelm ranging from getting a strong D guy to take over as DC and keeping Kubiak all the way to blowing the whole thing up. One of the main reasons I started this poll was to get a better idea what the general feeling was. It looks like a slight majority are in favor of keeping the offense relatively unchanged from a personnel/scheme standpoint and getting a new HC to overhaul the D.

The reason I am curious is that from following the Broncos the past few years, most people wanted to keep their offense with Cutler/Marshall intact and get someone to fix the defense. Enter Josh McDouchey and he blew the whole thing up. I am hoping that history does not repeat itself and we have some arse-whole come in and destroy the offense when they were hired to fix the D.

DerekLee1
12-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Anybody for the right deal is trade bait. But for me, in order to trade a proven NFL QB, I'd want a lot more than just swapping 1st round picks for a QB that MIGHT, repeat MIGHT, be a good NFL QB.

As everyone keeps saying, and I also believe it, Schaub is not the problem. It's coaching.

Schaub is just below the line of elite QB's. To trade a proven starter for a non-proven college player (AND your first round pick?!?) is ridiculous. Ryan Leaf come to mind? HWWNBN? Tim Couch? JaMarcus Russell? Alex Smith?

rmartin65
12-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Depending on where we pick. If we pick in the top 5, then no. If we are below 5, then hell yes.

I have stated my opinion on Luck in other threads, so I will just recap it here.

Pro arm- Incredible accuracy and power.

Athletic- See some of his runs, how he throws on the run

Smart- Does not throw the ball in bad places, follows the play when the ball is out of his hands.

Plus, he is a high character guy to boot. He is about as bust proof as one is likely to find in the draft.

Texan4Ever
12-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Unless if we're trading for Tom Brady, no way would I ever trade a proven quarterback who has been in our system.

panamamyers
12-27-2010, 07:11 PM
This is like asking if Detroit should have traded Scott Mitchell and their #1 to draft Peyton Manning.
It's a no-brainer.
To go from an average qb to an elite qb makes all the difference.

MFG16
12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Why trade up 8 spots when we can get Newton where we pick. :kitten: Id take Cam over Luck though, something in me is just screaming that Luck will be a bust. Eventhough I love schaub and he is a very good QB, hes not a franchise QB. Teams that have their best player at QB tend to be elite teams that are always in the playoffs. teams with good but not great QB's tend to need another aspect that is elite, like a DEFENSE! How 'bout Schaub to the Vikings for Allen and Kevin Williams. Take Newton where we pick and I think we improve drastically on the D-Line and have a QB that can be elite.

TheMatrix31
12-27-2010, 07:14 PM

You mean he didn't go for two 90 yard drives against the Ravens to get back and tie the game on December 13th?

mattieuk
12-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I think the 'number one overall draft choice' thing is overrated, at the moment.

It is costing a huge premium to pick a guy in the first few picks, and building up 2/3 early first round players is a real nice way to start attacking the team's salary setup.

I'll keep Schaub, draft where we are (or lower) and focus on fixing this defense early firstly, then trying to find an upgrade for our WR corps (to replace JJ) in the 3rd round or later. Oh, and perhaps a punter in the last round or an undrafted FA.

ATXtexanfan
12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
schaub and a first rd pick to move a few spots, dont like it. not big on schaub but thats a big cost to move up

JB
12-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm hoping that our FO plays it like NE. Trade down in the first twice and wind up with 3 2nd round picks and 3 3rd round picks.

But no, I would not trade Schaub and a 1st for the #1 pick. Not this year.

What was Bradfords contract? You know this year it is going to be maybe 10% higher?

And we have much bigger needs than at QB.

Not to mention that we have a few players who will need new contracts this year.

TheMatrix31
12-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm hoping that our FO plays it like NE. Trade down in the first twice and wind up with 3 2nd round picks and 3 3rd round picks.

But no, I would not trade Schaub and a 1st for the #1 pick. Not this year.

What was Bradfords contract? You know this year it is going to be maybe 10% higher?

And we have much bigger needs than at QB.

Not to mention that we have a few players who will need new contracts this year.

100% agreed. Would love to trade down if a ballhawk safety or a ridiculous corner is not at our spot.

Grforces
12-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I don't understand how anyone would really consider this. Most teams would trade thier next 2 first rounds for Schaub in my opinion. How many teams are a QB away from being really good? Carolina, Miami, Vikings, 49ers, Titans, Cowboys, Jets, and you can also make the argument for the redskins, and you can make the argument that Schaub is better than Eli Manning.
Alot of blame went on Schaub this year, but our offense looked alot different than last year. We dint get the huge plays down field like last year. I think partly because Jacoby sucked this year, Andre's injury, and maybe because of baby shannahan not being here.
Whats funny is everyone dogged him because no one thought he could stay healthy enough to play every game in a season, after 2 years of doing that, now its something else.
Shaub is not the problem. Its the mentallity of the whole team that comes down straight from the coaching staff.

Honoring Earl 34
12-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Would you be willing to trade Foster for the Packers or Pats 1st rd pick?

Ward has looked pretty good and a RB corps of Ward/Tate/Late rd pick doesn't look to bad.

That pick could be used to help improve the defense.

Foster's going to get paid this offseason.

To me , Foster is an asset that would attract coaches . Schaub , Foster , and AJ is a good place to start .

Until they get a new coach and GM , I'm not sure if it matters .

steelbtexan
12-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Didn't see the price of Schaub and a 1st when I voted for the deal.

I change my vote to no way I would do this deal.

Grforces
12-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Put a good O line in front of Schaub and I think he will be great. Plus get rid of the center, I dont care how tall your QB is, when you have to squat down like your taking a shit to take a snap under center, how are you going to be able to see the linebackers and read the Defense. Everyone is saying let him call audibles and give him more control, I just don't see how he can do it with the center we have.

Big Lou
12-27-2010, 11:44 PM
All this Anti-Schaub talk is crazy.

Does he make mistakes, yeh sure he does. When your down by 2000 points on average your mistakes tend to be magnified. Sure he's not Manning or Brady, but the guy is damn good.

Some people seem to have short term memories when it comes to crappy QB play in Houston.

Bulluck53
12-27-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't know if Carolina would take that trade, and thats not a hit on Schaub. It would take a whole lot to trade for that 1st pick in general, but especially in a year where many consider the top pick to be a "can't miss QB."

Schaub is a fine quarterback and is certainly not the Texans problem. They would be better served using that high-mid 1st on a defender of some sort than trading it and getting Luck.

Norg
12-27-2010, 11:56 PM
is the Number #2 and #3 QB going to fall to us ????????????

DOes tenn Pick before us THere def going to draft a QB ....

Bulluck53
12-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I think the Titans stick with Young, and if Houston wins this weekend (assuming the Colts win) I'd imagine the Titans would edge Houston in draft order based on strength of schedule as a tiebreaker.

Texecutioner
12-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Schaub is by far a good enough winner not only that you can win with, but a guy that can be a QB in a great offense. He's already proven that as far as I'm concerned with his stats from the last two seasons and the come from behind scoring chases that he goes on routinely. It's not his fault that he's coached by the one of the biggest frauds of an offensive guru. Kubiak has put him in horrible situations and positions as a QB the last two seasons. Shaub is playing with the worst defense of all time potentially. His INT's and TO's at the end of games haven't been anything to ignore or excuse by any means, but he's had a lot of late game heroics that were screwed by a defensive unit and other offensive players several times that killed games.

Schaub is not the problem right now and he should not be replaced right now. I don't think any new HC would do that right now.

beerlover
12-28-2010, 12:41 AM
#1 This trade only happens along with sweeping change. Kubiaks fate is tied to Matt Schaub, hence both would have to go along with the GM who introduced them. This is not to slight Schaub as much as his mentor & you have to replace quality with an upgrade if the opportunity presents itself.

#2 It's a plauseable deal if above parameters are met (Texans have a new GM & coach). Casserly/Capers used the #1 overall pick on David Carr in 2002 plus a 3rd in 2003 (David Ragone). Smith/Kubiak swapped #1's in 07 plus traded away two 2nd rd. picks to Atlanta, 07 & 08 for Schaub while paying good free agent money to guys like Rosenfels & Orlovsky.

#3 It's all about accountability & it starts @ the top & the most important postion on the team, which is QB comes with the territory http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/03/post_4.html
If Matt Schaub becomes a productive starting quarterback, the trade will have been a steal. If he doesn't, everyone is going to get fired, and the Texans will be starting over one more time. Again, the alternative--to do nothing--is much, much worse. That's like criticizing the Astros for spending $100 million on Carlos Lee. Did they overpay? They sure did. Would it have been better to spend the winter wringing their hands and saying, "Oh, I hope John B. and the Sports Reporters approve?'' Uh, no.

#4 I read somewhere on this thread that Cowher is a Matt Schaub guy, well what if he does wind up in Carolina with complete player control, might he swing this deal? Go for the proven commodity, over using the #1 overall pick, save some money & throw a rookie QB into the fire? plus they drafted Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd rd. last year (could use more time to develop) looks more like back-up quality to me anyway. Then use Texans pick to give Schaub a new AJ (Green) to throw to & add OL protection early 2nd/3rd.

#5 Stand pat, keep Kubiak/Smith/Schaub.

Grforces
12-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Schaub is just below the line of elite QB's. To trade a proven starter for a non-proven college player (AND your first round pick?!?) is ridiculous. Ryan Leaf come to mind? HWWNBN? Tim Couch? JaMarcus Russell? Alex Smith?

Can't believe you honestly forgot David Carr. I would also add VY to that list. I think he is a bust. He can go start for the bottom 10 teams (dont say it) but i doubt he will amount to anything. One of the best choices the Texans did was pass up on him.

DerekLee1
12-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Drew Brees threw 2 stupid picks last night that almost cost his team a playoff spot. However, his defense picked him up. Would you make the same offer for Brees had his defense failed him? I'm not saying Schaub is Brees, but if we had the Saints defense, Schaub would look a hell of a lot more elite.

CloakNNNdagger
12-28-2010, 09:27 AM
I read these posts and they all seem to concentrate on changing/beefing up the O. If we don't draft smart and McNair doesn't open his wallet......no, his bank vault.........to the Draft and FA, there won't be enough changes to also fill our dire D needs. Some people may call this "stupid money," but it's been stupid money that's been thrown around ever since this franchise has been in existence. You know, you CAN justifiably spend a truck load of money and, for once, make it "smart money." All you need are smart business people........that is, smart FOOTBALL BUSINESS people, that can also recognize talent, making the decisions. And only then does the work begin on developing the new talent and furthering veteran talent with competent and capable coaches in place.

HOU-TEX
12-28-2010, 09:49 AM
We're currently sitting at #4 for passing offense and #5 in total yardage. Sure, Schaub can make a bonehead play every now and then and we're a bit inconsistent on that side of the ball. Yet, we're talking about trading our QB. :facepalm:

But damn, people, we have the worst passing defense in NFL history! I'm not just talking about a crappy defense, I'm talking the worst I've ever seen. Our DT's suck, our DE's suck, our LB's suck, our DB's suck and our Safety's suck. Ugh

RagingBull
12-28-2010, 10:54 AM
We're currently sitting at #4 for passing offense and #5 in total yardage. Sure, Schaub can make a bonehead play every now and then and we're a bit inconsistent on that side of the ball. Yet, we're talking about trading our QB. :facepalm:

But damn, people, we have the worst passing defense in NFL history! I'm not just talking about a crappy defense, I'm talking the worst I've ever seen. Our DT's suck, our DE's suck, our LB's suck, our DB's suck and our Safety's suck. Ugh

Do the players suck, the system or a little of both? D. Rob sucked last year and is starter on a good Atlanta defense now.

Señor Stan
12-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Can't believe you honestly forgot David Carr.

David ¢arr is HWWNBN.

Rey
12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Yes, I would trade him for a true franchise QB.

I don't know if Luck is that guy, but if he is, I'd pull the trigger.

I don't know about trade value and such, but that seems a little steep of a price to me...

We will have atleast a top ten or top five pick so I don't think that would be a fair trade....

Trade Matt Schaub straight up along with a high second and a high fifth for the top pick :)

That way you have two top ten picks...get your franchise QB, and a true Stud DE to play opposite Mario or get your lock down corner...

Can anyone honestly say that they would not be happy with the draft if we were to get Andrew Luck and Prince Amukamara? Or Andre Luck and Daquan Bowers? or Andre Luck and Patrick Peterson?

I'd be freaking excited...

Rey
12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
You mean he didn't go for two 90 yard drives against the Ravens to get back and tie the game on December 13th?

And then threw a pick in overtime with what he classified as a "bad throw"....

:roast:

DerekLee1
12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, I would trade him for a true franchise QB.

I don't know if Luck is that guy, but if he is, I'd pull the trigger.

I don't know about trade value and such, but that seems a little steep of a price to me...

We will have atleast a top ten or top five pick so I don't think that would be a fair trade....

Trade Matt Schaub straight up along with a high second and a high fifth for the top pick :)

You NEVER know if a kid coming out of college is your "franchise guy". AGAIN...for every Manning, there's a Ryan Leaf. For every Tim Couch, there's a Donovan McNabb. I'd never trade a proven commodity for a draft pick unless it's an expiring contract you're dumping (McNabb) and/or you have a valuable enough backup at the position (Vick/Kolb). It was disastrous for the Oilers when they traded away Moon.

Ole Miss Texan
12-28-2010, 11:37 AM
This smells of a Josh McDaniels move and it would end up just as bad.

Rey
12-28-2010, 11:43 AM
You NEVER know if a kid coming out of college is your "franchise guy". AGAIN...for every Manning, there's a Ryan Leaf. For every Tim Couch, there's a Donovan McNabb. I'd never trade a proven commodity for a draft pick unless it's an expiring contract you're dumping (McNabb) and/or you have a valuable enough backup at the position (Vick/Kolb). It was disastrous for the Oilers when they traded away Moon.

I said "I don't know if Luck is that guy"...

But I don't have access to the players like and NFL team would. At some point your scouting department and player personnel people have to actually do some work.

Anybody can look top prospects list and draft players in the top ten.

Determining whether or nor these guys are going to be franchise guys is another question. That is where paychecks are earned...

IF we were to get a new coaching staff that wanted to make a lot of changes, I would not be upset if they scrapped noodle arm for a guy that they evaluated and determined was the real deal.

I don't hold onto a guy out of fear of the unknown....It's not like you are picking a name out of a hat or picking a guy blindfolded...This would be an educated decision if something like that happened...

Ole Miss Texan
12-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Sam Bradford
Matt Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Matt Ryan
Jamarcus Russell
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler
Alex Smith
Eli Manning
Phillip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich
David Carr
Joey Harrington

These are all the QB's drafted in the Top 10 since the Texans existence. What is being asked is if you trade a Pro Bowl QB in his prime that has proven to be successful on your team for an unknown rookie commodity at that position and guarantee to pay that guy $50MM???

b0ng
12-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Nah. Schaub will be cheaper and right now I'd rather spend draft picks on defensive players. Especially our high draft picks.

Ole Miss Texan
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Nah. Schaub will be cheaper and right now I'd rather spend draft picks on defensive players. Especially our high draft picks.

That's a very good point. I don't think I'd even do the trade straight up. But once you consider we're getting rid of our starting QB PLUS a (most likely) Top 10 pick and coming away with just a Rookie starting QB... it sounds crazy.

Schaub + [Patrick Peterson / Prince Amukamara / AJ Green / Nick Fairley]

or Andrew Luck?

I don't want to stray this converstion into draft talk but at this rate we could end up with a very very early draft pick. Could you even imagine Schaub having Andre Johnson AND AJ Green as his receivers with Foster as RB? Good gosh. I'm ALL for defense but Green is sick.

eriadoc
12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure I'd trade Schaub, but I'd definitely like to see what they could do to get Luck. He's probably the best QB prospect to come out since Peyton Manning, IMO.

If they lose against the Jags, they made not have to trade up very high to take a shot at him, either.

DonnyMost
12-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Replacing Schaub would be like watering the lawn while your house is on fire.

beerlover
12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I said "I don't know if Luck is that guy"...

But I don't have access to the players like and NFL team would. At some point your scouting department and player personnel people have to actually do some work.

Anybody can look top prospects list and draft players in the top ten.

Determining whether or nor these guys are going to be franchise guys is another question. That is where paychecks are earned...

IF we were to get a new coaching staff that wanted to make a lot of changes, I would not be upset if they scrapped noodle arm for a guy that they evaluated and determined was the real deal.

I don't hold onto a guy out of fear of the unknown....It's not like you are picking a name out of a hat or picking a guy blindfolded...This would be an educated decision if something like that happened...

I have seen enough of Andrew Luck play to confirm any doubts that yes he will be that franchise QB NFL teams covet. He is the second coming of Elway, same size, running ability, arm strength, accuracy, positive leadership, winner & pedigree. He is also homegrown :worldpeace: